Why does Capcom not understand that black blob enemies are not scary...

Why does Capcom not understand that black blob enemies are not scary? And they won't become scary when you throw two thousands of them at the player.

Endless ammunition and machine guns don't help either.

First half was amazing, second half was literally pure dog shit. No idea why normalfags love this game so much.

Pic related will forever be the only non-shit modern horror game, it seems.

It wasn't that great. The jump scare in the credits is the best one I've seen to this day, however, and the only one to ever truly spook me

Not even a horror game, just more action shooter

It was really fun, but not scary. Still more scary than RE4 and the sequels though.

Feels a lot more like an actual horror game than RE7 after three hours. Even near the end it's spooky again with that "church" and the melody.

Can anyone actually defend the mines in RE7? It's literally a fucking N64 corridor with two thousand of those blobes thrown at you and nothing else. And the ship was pure shit as well.

Why are all the jump scares in this game so awful and forced? And why do 9/10 of them not evne let you interact, literally cutscenes.

Ammunition is rare as fuck on higher difficulties, in RE7 you drown in ammunition the highest difficulty you can pick.

And Dead Space actually had some non-linearity here and there… which is also why ammunition was valueable; you had to find it.

How come lads?

Low ammunition abundance makes the game a survival game, not necessarily horror.

This is not true. I've never been as scared by a movie as I was by the first Silent Hill

I felt it nailed the creepy and disgusting vibe, but it's definitely not scary.
Kinda feel sorry for them since they actually took a bit of a risk, like with the switch from tank controls and room-based cameras to a third-person shooter.

Having infinite ammo like in RE7 and just literally stumbling over grenade launchers surely prevents it from being actual horror, though. Everything after the house is a mess.

Better than generic zombies imo. My problem with them is that there needed to be more types and they needed to be introduced earlier.

I didn't mind the bit on the boat as I thought a drastic, unexpected shift in direction was kind of a nice touch once we'd seen everything else. I guess that's the closest thing to another F.E.A.R. game we'll ever get, weird as that is crammed into a RE game.

Everything past that can get fucked though. I think removing the salt mine would have drastically improved the game as a whole, even if it just meant rushing to the final boss set piece. A pity that the game climaxes with fighting Jack and didn't know when to quit - I loved pretty much everything up to that point.

I don't think RE7 is "scary" - it's just got a warped sense if humor and a lot of gruesome boss battles and atmosphere. It's more Re-Animator or Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 than anything more serious, and frankly I miss that tongue-in-cheek blend of crazy splatter and cartoony comedy that's been replaced with a more blunt, Troma-esque level of "parody" that only works for a few minutes before falling apart. I wish Astron6 was only allowed to make 10 minute shorts, because a second longer and they go from charming to pure fucking cringe.

I do wish the enemies got more varied as the game went on. Molded Dogs and Birds would have been a nice touch. I loved the Zombelephant in Outbreak File 2. I still don't dislike what we got, and I expecr Madhouse to make me misersble. I just wish they expanded more on the concept while they were already there.

I don't know, black blobs can be scary if they erode your field of view

Horror games such as Silent Hill have neat concept, but the execution always feels flawed and the horror aeshtetics don't live up to their potential in leaving an impact on the audience. SH, Fatal Frame, and Siren are some of the examples, great horror potential ruined by bad execution, although SH did it the best among the 3.

Films give the audience time to emotionally immerse themselves in the aesthetic values of the film. Zerkalo might not be a horror film, but the dream sequences and one ghost scene spooked me more than any game I've ever played. This one dream sequence spooked me the most.

There's also a scene where the boy is left alone in an empty apartment room. Suddenly a woman and her maid appear in a room, the camera followed the maid who walked into another room, and then it panned back into the boy and the woman. This was a ghastly and unnerving scene, you didn't expect anyone in that room, but you still couldn't be sure if they're ghosts or living people.

On top of the slow paced editing, the electronic music really immerses you into the ghastliness. I don't think there's a game out there that's able to deliver the same emotionally immersive horror. First person games have great potential, but gaming devs are shit film directors, so they always fucked up.

I can't wait for the free dlc coming out in a few months

I got to that part and actually saw her "teleport". fuck I should have recorded it. She didn't just teleport, it was more like coming out of a fucking tiny wormhole as in she literally appeared less than the size of a quarter then expanded to full size and pop out on you in less than a second. It's kinda hard to explain. but she went from a tiny fly to full grown size in that part.

And videogames don't? SH was longer than any movie I've watched. The aesthetics may be different and differently communicated but they're still immersive, maybe even moreso by virtue of being interactive. I haven't seen Zerkalo, but I doubt it could stack up to the sheer length of slow burning dread that SH sustained.

The soundtrack to Silent Hill was borderline industrial noise, it was constantly oppressive and brought a level of hopelessness to the experience that surpassed any dreams of ghosts.

Watching my friend go through the house really made me wish we could get a Splatterhouse game kinda like it. Just going through some huge mansion and its gardens fistfighting horrors, chainsawing bosses, and maybe solving some simple puzzles. Sadly the remake killed any chance of anything happening with Splatterhouse and EA killed its spiritual successor Dead Space. If this were just a bit faster and dropped the survival and stealth bits then it would probably be pretty good too.

I'm talking about the pacing, the rhythm, not length.

Zerkalo isn't even a horror film. I mentioned it because it takes unexpected turns in exploring the theme and creates a ghastly immersion.

I know, I love how it uses background noise as music. Zerkalo however takes sound engineering to a whole new level.

IMO, hopelessness isn't equal to a chilling dread. It's more often used as a plot device than aesthetic device.

Why do people seem to think that horror has to be scary, and that if its not scary then its bad horror? Why do people even think it is possible for something to be universally scary?

I don't think that horror can have universal appeal, not everyone has adequate artistic sensibility. However, the method of delivery should be taken into consideration in regard of objectively judging the quality of a horror.

I'm sorry, but if that's the best example of film doing horror, you're mistaking your own personal preferences as well as squatting over Silent Hill unnecessarily. The puzzles do a good job of driving you to explore for clues which allow you to explore as much as you want, which even come with their own difficulty setting). If you hate one area that much, guides for the puzzles are the closest to a fast forward button, which still requires playing the game and staying somewhat engaged. If a film is bad by the viewer's standards, there's no way to enhance the experience.

As for RE7, just finished it on Normal. The tanker's not as bad for me because they mix it up with going naked as a new character, and giving the player one more new weapon before the endgame. Right after that, then they put in the filler to pad to the end with a long corridor fight consisting of a whopping 4 enemy types.

There's a lot more potential for the molded, especially with what a little girl could craft them to be like and give us SOMETHING that could eat up magnum ammo, but the game never does. That's not getting into the issue though: this was designed as a VR game first and foremost, and every other aspect had to suffer for it. Instead of time spent on modeling more enemies, the whole mansion has to sparkle and glisten with trash, even when they're downscaled because of console exclusivity, and crafting a new engine from scratch. If they actually made it to console spec and used something premade like UE4, then we could've gotten more variety in bioweapons to take advantage of the weaponry.

As-is, the only improvements left is Vive support after a timed exclusivity expiration, and the DLC giving enough time to make a wholly satisfying campaign. Otherwise, I'm sticking with *Marguirette's spider form* as best boss, and Lucas' funhouse as best stage.

They should've kept it at knifes and an odd pistol here and there.

And no weird blob-monsters, should've kept it with the weird family. That was enough to scare you.

Im still annoyed at the fact that the SMG its such piece of trash.
I miss the automatic weapons from code veronica.

OH GEE I WONDER WHY DURRRR

This guy gets it.

More to the point, films have a set pace and force the viewer to confront dread and abject horror at a defined, intentional pace. This is the single thing that separates good horror films from great ones, and it's almost always an issue with direction/editing. People who think gore isn't scary are missing that a lot of not-scary movies use it as a crutch to make up for a total lack of tension or atmosphere: Violence itself can be terrifying. So can a slow pan of an empty street - if it's used properly.

Vidya is by its nature interactive which means how long and drawn out each scare becomes is left to the player. RE7 does a fairly decent job railroading you down certain scripted pieces and pushing to new areas, but the second you remember, oh shit, I forgot to grab that coin in the last room and you meander back around, you're shooting that tension in the face.

Vidya also has fail states, which depending on execution can make a horrifying moment a tedious annoyance. You know what makes something less scary? Being forced to watch it happen on a loop. Like a boss beating your bitch ass in over and over again.

RE7 isn't particularly hard for a survival horror game - not on normal at least - but clunky and shitty combat is sort of intrinsically linked to the genre to make you feel helpless and up against a legitimate threat. Ironically enough, the Demo might have been more effective at making the Molded "scary" since getting slashed once was basically an instant fail-state. That would have been annoying as fuck in an 11 hour gsme though.

The game DOES try to prevent that. early on by having Jack patrol set partsnof the house (and letting him revive indefinitely), but every time you find a new herb and rush back to a save point you're fucking with the pacing yet again.

Movies can be badly paced, but no one person will ever save-scum a movie and ruin it for themselves as a result. That's why, as much as I love horror vidya, I admit they'll never be as simple or consistent to quantify as movies.

Well… Why even fight them? Just a waste of ammo.

The zombies are not generic, though. At least not as generic as the blobs. I'm talking about generic in the sense of generic here, it's just 100% the same model. And I can't even remember if they made any noise.

Fucking garbage.

What's Outbreak?

Is the DLC already out or you referring to another game?

Better don't tell me this game literally has day 1 DLC. How could anyone defend this disgusting shit?

But it was scary?It just stopped being scary after three hours when it stopped throwing actually new enemy types at you or good settings.

We got a generic Revelations rehash ship with forced, horirble non-linearity and an N64 corridor with the same two enemy types over and over again.

It genuinely isn't a good game. I don't understand the love it gets from NeoGAF and cripple chan. Someone explain it to me.

You type like a redditfag and you don't even know about Outbreak. Jesus fuck why are you here?

I think the first The Suffering was pretty good but I guess that wouldn't be considered modern since it came out back in 2004.

WHERE'S HER DICK

You fucks do realize that that was the point in the original games right?
You werent supposed to kill everything you saw, you were supposed to avoid combat as much as possible.

Just because "its how it used to be" doesn't mean its good.

For you, people (meselfincluded) really likedthatin thefirst4 games (not resident evil 4, code veronica).
Im begining to suspect that you have no idea of what youre talking about and are just shitposting with "le v hates everything" meme.

Hahahahahahaha oh wow.

Yeah now I will be shitposting because you're fucking retarded.

Everytime

lol

So I'm at the moldmen (warning) in the morgue area. If I am supposed to run away whenever possible, wouldn't that make the game easier?

Nope.
What?

It's very annoying. Very generic, too. They're everywhere. Uninspired and insipid.

This bit I don't understand. The game doesn't give you endless ammunition until you beat it once at least. Sure you can craft ammo, but the crafting materials are limited.

True, but in the original(s) not killing them meant they would still be there when you inevitably backtracked. And in the original original if you killed a zombie but didnt burn the body they would eventually respawn.

It was therefore sensible to actually bother to kill enemies around centralised points, you just had to learn where those were first.

God dammit are you ignorant about resident evil.
That only happened in the remake.
And yes, enemies did respawn when you entered the room again until killed, that was never put into question.

I'm liking it so far

Btw this is one of the most linear and scripted games i ever played, even Call of Duty set pieces feel more like a proper game

Didn't find it any more scripted than other modern games
At least the loot boxes have randomized item drops

The unreal engine has VR support so that's not the reason they went and made there own. And what does being a VR game mean it has to have "glisten with trash" for. If anything you want the opposite because your taxing your already limited machine even more, without adding much. The majority, if not all, VR games try and keep their environments simple.
PSVR exclusivity does suck though. It would have been nice to have an actual room scale option.

I watched a wlakthrough of the whole game, and it looked at least like the best GAME in the RE series since 4. But it wasn't Resident Evil, at all. A lot of people say that even RE4 was not RE, and I'm inclined to disagree to a point, but this game.

RE7 has nothing original except for maybe the few videotape "playback" scenarios which were interesting enough. The characters are very unlikeable and bland, but not in the normal RE fashion of just being badly written and acted, it's just a mockery (or mimicry) of other games and movies.

It copies Alma from FEAR, it copies hiding in tight spaces from enemies looking for you from the current batch of "horror games", it copies hillbilly slasher movies, it uses the recent trend of mixing items together from things you find in an obtuse way (RE did combining well already), it leaves plot points open for incoming DLC, it has in-game unskippable cutscenes of you doing worse to enemies or getting done in worse by enemies all the time than in gameplay, it's really hard to die in the game even if you try etc. etc.

I'd give them an A for effort of making such a crockpot of ideas and rebranding it as RE, but even the graphics are shit so I can't. Not to mention the length of the game is somewhere around 5 to 6 hours unless you keep running back to save rooms. Add to that the Donte 2.0 main character and retarded plot twists and I can't even recommend anyone to pirate it.

The stupid ass evil toddler girl with superpowers is one of the most ancestral, common as bread and ANNOYING clichés/memes of all fucking times. You mention one game, but you could've mentioned dozens of mainstream Hollywood movies, hundreds of books and probably shit that goes back to hundreds of years ago.

Migh aswell say prey too, since it featured damonic little girls.
Also the ring and the original japanese movie.

I never said it was or was not. Although I most likely would not find it scary at all as only a few very specific phobias can do that, Which brings me to the point of using how scary something is to judge its quality of horror. If I don't find anything in the horror genre to be scary, then does that mean the entire genre is shit and a complete failure? At that point does the genre even exist? If I apparently should think the entire genre is shit for not being scary, then why do I enjoy it so much? Why do I think certain things are good horror if I am not scared? Why must horror be scary? Why do people think it needs to be scary to be good?

Can you deny any of my points though? It's a very derivative game, by the numbers outside of the video tape sections which I thought were a nice addition and worked pretty seamlessly.

I'm not here to deny your points. Calm your autism.
I found the videotapes annoying. Specially the really long one with Mia that had fucking ITEM CRAFTING and I think even item management with a chest. I was half expecting it to have a save point too. Like, good God.

Well the late game overall fell apart. The only slightly interesting part was Lucas' traphouse.

The definition of horror states it to be an intense feeling of fear, shock, or disgust. Going by this definition, you can automatically realize that if a horror game is not scary then it fails to be a horror game and thus be a shitty horror game. It can be a decent game itself outside of the horror tag, but it being a horror game, to you, doesn't apply. This is the problem with the horror genre as a whole as it is all subjective to the person. If one person finds a horror game to be scary then it's by definition a horror game to them. If you play it and find it to not be a scary experience then it isn't a horror game but it is still a game.

I guess
The game kept me entertained but I can't say it was very good.

The part i didnt like about the funhouse was the exploding boxes.
Its wasa stupid mechanic that only made you waste bullets.

I thought it was nice. Kept you guessing even into the late game as there were a few exploding boxes there as well.

It was a nice change of pace that kept you on your toes, especially since on madhouse the first box explodes. I found it funny that they fuck with you right before the last fight with them as well. I also did like the face you could just guard through the trip wires, and wait for your blood smears to stop flashing to disarm them without using bullets or health items.

There's a couple of things you can use to make good horror in video games, and it's easy as fuck to do.

never let the player fully grasp what the monster looks like by either
A. disguising it's silhouette.
B. prevent the player from looking at it.
C. Make it invisible.

Silent hill 1 did A, by having the enemy color choices blend in with the level, using the low quality of the graphics to it's advantage, and Silent Hill 2 masked the enemy by having them do unnatural movements, like the spasming of the . A REALLY, REALLY good example of this is the Pendulum enemy from Silent Hill 3, which comes across as a mess of blades rather then an enemy. It glides across the ground, rotates vertically, and this makes it hard as fuck to discern it's form.

Amnesia did B, but honestly it's a cheap trick and it failed to mask the monster silhouettes so instead of seeing the scary ass melted face you'd see a human shaped blur coming at you.

Resident Evil 1's remaster did C by having an extra mode with an invisible, invincible zombie.

Resident Evil 7 tried doing this shit with the black blobs with teeth for faces, but honestly the problem with them is they have no complex animations or gif textures to "mask the silhouette" and without that the high-ish quality graphics just make it too easy to comprehend them, especially since they're the only other enemy type outside the Baker family (ie just Jack Baker randomly popping up in certain areas until a certain point, then the Bakers are just boss battles and event battles)

So because a horror game or film is not a specific one of the three things it can be, its shit and not horror, and an entire genre doesn't actually exist just because muh feelings? How would you explain things like the horror comedy genre? Would you call someone retarded if they told you Event Horizon is not a horror film? What about if they said The Iron Giant is horror? If horror can be objectively defined by if it is scary or not, yet inducing fear is an entirely subjective thing, then how can being scary be used as an objective measure of whether something is good horror or not?

I pirated it and I didn't really enjoy it.
It really wasn't anything special, nor was it scary, and it melds together with all these modern "horror" FPS' with shooty shooty bang bang mechanics, as in that it doesn't do much to be a new and fresh experience.
I think it would have been better to have made Lucas a bigger part of the game instead of having that small section with him after which he scampers away off screen.
Also the fact that it costs 50 dollary doos and that it only lasts 6 fucking hours, makes it feel like a scam. Took me longer to download than to finish it, holy shit.

I didn't say that. It exists but it shifts constantly. If you find something to be scary then it's horror, but if someone else doesn't find it scary it's not horror to them. It's not exclusive to one instance. It's all instances. The genre still exists and will always exist through the feeling of fear someone gets. If, say, someone finds Friday the 13th scary, but not Halloween, the genre still exists.
If you felt fear during it then it's mostly a horror movie. If you felt you got a sense of comedy out of it then it's a comedy. Did you get both? Then it's both. Did you get neither? Then it did its job as a horror comedy poorly.
That is the problem with horror as I just said. It as well as comedy are blurred in a grey zone in objectivity and subjectivity. That's why we keep getting a ton of the samey horror and comedy shows/movies/games all the time because the people who enjoy the "comedy" and "horror" that triggers their enjoyment will give money to these things. It's why we can't actually gauge horror and comedy. We can only gauge if it's a good movie by removing the tag of horror or comedy.

It's a shame Resi 7 is such a bad game, because visually it's actually pretty fucking good.

I wouldn't call it a bad game. The last third of it sucks shit, and that definitely cranks it down to mediocre if I'm brutally honest, but I wouldn't say it's just flat-out bad.

dead space games were decent action games, but not really horror.

alien: isolation is actually a good, if too repetitive, horror game. if you can easily kill the monsters, it stops being scary.

re7 was just a below average pseudo-horror game with terrible COMPLETE GLOBAL DESATURATION filter, horrible tiny FOV, incredibly slow main character, weak story, undeveloped characters and only 3 same-ish looking enemy types in the entire game. like a budget vr game somehow being shat into being a mainline re game.

worst thing, it has retards who never played the first few re games on psx and babbling how it's somehow closer to the orginal games than 4 - 6.

fuck off then

DIS

that actually sounds scary

You haven't proven why horror needs to be scary, and in fact have done the opposite by clearly stating that it can be scary, shocking, or disgusting. If horror only needs to be one of those things to be horror, then why does it need to be scary to be horror? If I do not find Halloween to be scary, yet still consider it horror, how is that possible if it can only be horror if it scares me? If I told you Event Horizon was not horror and The Iron Giant was horror, would you not call me retarded?
Horror has always focused primarily on shock and disgust since they are significantly less subjective than fear and provide greater impact, ex. all the fucking classics. The whole reason modern horror is such shit is because people keep asking for it to be scary and people keep trying to make it scary. It's the same fucking thing with vidya and films as a whole trying to cater to the masses while forgetting the core of what made them good in the first place, nevermind the fact that fear is so extremely subjective that you would have a better chance at arousing a devout christian in the bible belt with hardcore scat porn than being scary. Ask any horror fan what their favorite horror game or film is and they'll give you a paragraph that not once mentions "because its scary!". My favorite horror game is Splatterhouse since it was the first horror game I remember playing (Doom, Alone in the Dark, Ghouls n Ghosts, and Elvira II as well), and because its got gruesome monsters, excessive gore, a haunted mansion, and a great soundtrack. Other favorites are Undying, Alice, Doom III, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Deadspace for pretty much the same things, monster design, setting, and violence, with the story bits being sprinkles on the fleshcake. Favorite films are The Thing (RIP), Event Horizon, Frankenstein's Army, The Deadly Spawn, Army of Darkness, and Stalingrad (1993). Now I'll be the first to say I'm a casual when it comes to horror as, though it's one of my favorite genres, I am just simply not as invested in it as I am other things, but I can tell you for a fact that I care about and understand it a hell of a lot more than some faggot who's only in it to be scared and is completely oblivious to all the other aspects that go into making good horror.

Sauce?

I think ill try playing 6 to the end this time

It cant be as bad as 7

You won't be feeling that way after playing it

I've actually played SH 1-3. Almost finished SH1 and SH2.

What does puzzles have anything to do with horror? You mistook pacing in editing and cinematography for longevity of the game. I'm talking purely from a mise en scene qualification.

Pretty much. Players have tendency to look away and rush things when they stop being interested. Video games are good for creating personal experience and subjective interpretation, but it can't keep a consistent quality.

That game is fucking garbage. The only time Dead Space has been even close to a horror game is the part in 2 where you revisit the ship in 1 and it's just dripping with atmosphere.
Blasting every note on the brass-section of an orchestra when an enemy shows up does not make them scary.
Having a jumpscare every 2 minutes is not scary.
Having constant action does not make the game scary. Actually this is the huge reason why the jumpscares are so predictable. If something hasn't happened within the last 2 minutes there will be a jumpscare.

"Glisten with trash", referring to how many polygons the game renders on the environment, on top of decals and lighting effects for post-processing. Granted, genuinely good water physics were a nice touch, but all that detail is wasted on the PS4 that can hardly render half the detail until the pop-in range occurs.

What I'm saying is, they (most likely) tacked on a brand new engine to cover up the MT Framework being nearly a decade old (but still capable, as Revelation shows) but want to appear to go the extra mile, for a tailor made experience. The reality is there's likely a whole lot of shit cut out due to coders having to work with the environment and its physics coexisting with VR, rather than unique enemies and stronger AI that made RE4 stand out way back when.

My point was that puzzles are a good way to regulate pacing in a game, whether to give a breather to stop progress before more action, or give a death timer; otherwise, RE would resemble more of a Doom/Quake clone with bad aiming controls. If you desire to hurry up and get to the good parts, you can study speedrun tactics and look for solutions out of the game; but, if the game works as intended and is actually immersing the player, the player would be compelled to use the game itself to solve the puzzle by absorbing the environment for clues, "confronting" the game on its own terms. Silent Hill's original trilogy was great at it, even with not-so-empty rooms like in 3 where in a mirror room, a tub will overflow with bloody vines that flood the reflection, before using the tub in reality to flood your room. The player would have to decide whether this was a trap before it's too late, or dare the game to see what happens next.

GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER NEWFRIEND

RE: Outbreak was a PS2 spinoff that got a sequel called "File 2". Christ almighty, are you old enough to remember thst there was a PS2?

One of the levels was a zoo where all the aninals get infected and become undead monsters. Its retarded and I fucking LOVED it, because faggots who think RE is "scary" just don't have a sense of humor.

Far as I knew Outbreak was always non-canon since the events were "what if?" scenarios that don't fit the mainline game stories, but RE7 has a callback to a character introduced in Outbreak… So it's Portable Ops level okay-it's-canon-sometimes-I-guess bullshit now?

Nah, they sold a Season Pass but it's mostly new tapes and speed-based minigames. PS4 got it weeks early to push that VR meme, but I'm waiting until it's actually out in another two weeks.

Since you're looking to be spoon fed anyway, there's another story chapter for free coming in the Spring and "an additional story chapter" sometime later in the year that'll likely set up the next game you'll all hate even more and then retroactively say this one was so much better.

It did feel like it started off strong. The whole looking for her after three years part was weak. Could not relate to that at all but everything else starting out seemed pretty solid. After a while I just lost interest. Not sure why or where it happened. Finishing the game became chore like for me.

When were these games ever scary? RE1 and 2 might have been scary when I was 9, but not anymore. I never found the games scary since then. They were always more action based. The old puzzles were guessing games of trail and error. I like RE, but we can't act like it was ever scary.

it really cant, 7 barely is a game

The thing is I was already too old for the PS2. Such an overrated piece of shit console.

And yeah, I thought of that game but I wasn't sure.

I type like this on purpose. I've never been to "Reddit" but apparently typing like this is a great way to find out who the actual Reddit fag is. Maybe you should go back there since you know so much about this place, you retarded subhuman.

The thing is there is no point in avoiding battle in RE7 since… it's literally harder to dodge the enemies than just shooting them and you have basically infinite ammunition when you use more than two weapons which you do.

Not really. Just shoot them in the head which every chimpanzee can do since they have huge, generic heads and barely move. Just get the shotgun first.

What I mean is that you never run out of ammunition. You don't have endless, obviously, but it's far from rare and the game is so linear, that it's almost impossible to miss it.

No one cares. Leave thread.

The problem with them is that they are generic as fuck and get thrown at the player. Silent Hill has enemy variety.

Dead Space is way more horror than Alien, in my book. What I want from horror is fear and disgust, what Alien gives me is stress. Reminds me of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.

It's where the game loses its last bit of integrity.

It's just like Resident Evil 4. First 1/3 amazing, awesome village setting and atmosphere… Rest of the game pure dog shit. But of course worse than 4.

Well, the whole family and old redneck house setting was amazing… Even the blobs in the basement were scary because it was your first encounter and basements are naturally spooky… So, what is the basement of an already spooky as fuck old house?

However, then they keep throwing the same generic enemy at you for the rest of the game and the locations look more and more generic… until the point we literally go through an N64 corridor mine near the end.

Should have waited a few more minutes for maximum effect.

I wish millennial shits would stop trying to use words they don't know the meaning of.

They LITERALLY just remade Outlast with shitty slow as snails gunplay.
And to top that, half of the dozen baby easy enemies you kill during the whole game are thown at you at once in the most bland ass cave right before the QTE final boss.

Im still pissed how bad this games was

Most game devs don't know how to make a horror game anymore. When one is announced and they release a trailer, it usually ends up spoiling everything the game will offer right in said trailer. Not to mention that once you have a weapon in a horror game, the tension of fear drops due to having something to defend yourself (with only a rare few games only giving you a false sense of security with said weapon(s)).

What makes a good horror game along with the essentials (sound, atmosphere, level design, and frailty of the player character) is giving the player just enough to feel confident enough to move onward, but always making them feel on edge and uneasy moving on as well. Give them enough knowledge of the situation at hand, while keeping them in the dark regarding other aspects. In games that are not wholly horror, but have horror aspects/levels (say something like the classic Thief series with the shalbridge cradle level), where you already have a set of tools/weapons, have enemies or the fear of potential enemies that make said tools and weapons seem useless or not work as intended. Essentially, when making a horror game or horror levels, you want to create something that will keep the player on the edge of their seat and ready to jump out of it at something scary.

Most devs make the horror/jumpscares so predictable it's almost pathetic, and once the player experiences it once, they no longer get scared by it (if they ever were). Constant fear of the unknown and having the player second guess themselves at all times is what makes a good horror game and makes it replayable. This game seems to go more with gore/disgusting horror (which to be fair is what RE always had, but it also had other kinds of horror in it as well), which may work for some, but not for those used to seeing gore in games.

No, it has nothing to do with the pacing that I was talking about. The purpose of slow pacing in cinema is almost similar to the purpose of meditation. It's deep thought on a subject for pure aesthetic purpose. Puzzles have no aesthetic purpose. All puzzles do is slowing down the game. What slow pacing in film editing do is directing our perception of time.

the main thing that people are touching on or missing isn't the difficulty or the lack of monsters variety, but the the length of the game/relatively small size of the world. The Baker house is the best part of the game and it's fucking tiny as hell. It may be realistically small, but you honestly are able to explore the majority of it almost instantly and are left feeling bored because unlike the other games, major sections of the house aren't locked behind doors that require time and effort or story events to get them open. Compare this to RE1 and 2 and think about the sections of the game world that are locked behind puzzles or keys that you can't solve or fully complete for significant amounts of the game.

-The old house is a joke that doesn't hold a lantern to the main one, and they have an entire other house that just serves as an arena for an okay boss fight.

-Lucas' area is kinda cool but if you watched the tape from before… you already did the best part of it already.

-I didn't hate the boat and parts were kinda scary.

-The salt mine was retarded and they should have either cut it or turned it into a proper level with buildings and keys and rooms rather than shitty little linear tunnels with molded.

These problems are exacerbated by the lack of enemy variety (annoying bugs, molded that stand, molded that crab walk, fat molded, fatter molded), easy difficulty, and the fact that best Baker is barely in the game as a Nemesis threat because he's so easily evaded and finally beaten in the story before his final boss fight. If you were constantly being stalked by the family and they were tough enough to hide or fight that you had to actually spend all the fucking ammunition you were crafting and finding, the game would have been way more difficult and scary.

Overall I still enjoyed it, and hope that the GOY OF THE YEAR EDITION(TM) adds more content and tweaks things enough to make it into a complete experience, but it isn't worth eighty dollarydoos

spooky children is one of the most fucking irritating "horror" cliches ever. It wasn't scary then, it isn't scary now.

All of this, pretty much.

Black blobs are the type of enemy that is only scary if you can't actually see it clearly most of the time.

I'm just getting to the basement and it's quite fun, reminds me a lot of PT with more fighting and less kojima weirdness.
I'm not scared at all, thought I would be because it's the first "survival horror" I have played in the last ten years or so, but it's more just comfy and atmospheric than it is scary.
Legitimately been more scared in bloodborne, kind-of wish the whole game was set in that house and shit kept changing and playing mind-games with you, that would fit the tone perfectly.
Already not looking forward to the apparent FEAR inspired shootan sections.

ALSO: WHOEVER MADE SHADOW-LOCKS NEEDS TO BE PUBLICLY EXECUTED NORTH KOREA STYLE

l*terally missing his point completely.

Something you shouldn't be using on an imageboard.

Yeah, you're probably right.

Not only can puzzles question the viewer, but look good while doing it. Take Silent Hill 2's hanged man puzzle where he pulls down the nooses - not only does it have a clever riddle, but while doing the puzzle, it tells us instead that not only has James lost his marbles, he's so guilty about it he suggestively pulls nooses up to neck level while on a stool. I'll give you that nothing in RE is that symbolic and elaborate, RE's more about using point & click logic to fit the pegs in.

As for your complaint of breaking the railroad in games breaks the pacing, there are certain scares that require backtracking to work, such as in REmake where a door's handle can fall off after too much use, making a door a one-way trip and ruining any current plans. There's also zombie Brad Vickers strapped with instadeath bombs that can spawn in any room in future playthroughs, zombies that can open certain doors, crimson heads that rise again after a certain time, and plenty more. Really, REmake's greatest strength is how much it goes off script from the PS1 original that can generate different scares for each playthrough due to oppressive design, which you can't get from simply replaying a tape.

I'm trying to understand what games can learn from your Zerkalo example with its jump cuts, seamless transitions, gray/sepia tone, and zoom out techniques to >imply things, but games can already do all this and more due to the nature of the medium.

Makes you think that instead of stumbling on hordes of zombies, you should be stumbling on piles of corpses surrounding half eaten dead men.

What's the best remake version of the original? GC/wii or the HD one on pc?

I should note that REmake completely shits on any notion of safety, which is what made it much more tense. You think you're safe as long as you go through another door? Fuck you, here's zombies coming crashing through doors. You think you're safe backtracking through places you've already explored? Fuck you, here's dogs coming crashing through the windows. You think you're always safe in a save room? *SOUND OF DOOR OPENING FROM BENEATH*
It's those sometimes scripted events which make you question whether the next room will be truly devoid of enemies, alongside not being able to safely kill everything or safely tank everything,

I'm glad I haven't had to witness this.