What vidya forums did you use before you found Holla Forums?

What vidya forums did you use before you found Holla Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.

zombo.
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Some gay emulation forum, my account is still there on the hall of shame. I shiver thinking about it being dug up.

I used to have a Gamespy account

I also had an email account like Sheepman2k1@hotmail or something

Embarassing

Way too many. I remember getting banned a ton from the steam forums for having opinons.

What's an opinon?

Its embarassing but Roblox, and on top of that I had more than 2000 posts, trying to be one if those "Top ____ posters".

There was also GameFAQs but I never once posted there, only lurk there for walkthroughs and such.

The school cafeteria. There were enough decent games coming out back then that it was possible to randomly meet people with good taste.

Gearbox forums, specifically the halo CE sub-forums. That's pretty much it.

thottbot

I fondly recall my classmates and I hand drawing NES Zelda maps with each screen and someone annotating secrets on it.

I had fun playing the game where you shoot other players using rocket launchers and the environments were destructible, I think it was called Glass Houses or something. Is Roblox even still around anymore? What about Blockland?

Yeah, roblox and blockland are still around. and roblox has a better battlefield than battlefield.

I think that map was called Crossroads. There was also this map called Sword Fight on Heights, the sequel was buggy but shit was fun.

As for Roblox and Blockland, yes they are still around. Roblox is a different beast compared to when I signed up in January 2008 though, as there are functional Battlefield and CoD clones made in it. Sadly while the game-making part improved everything else suffered, like being bought out by Disney and tix no longer being available at all

As for Blockland, it got a Steam release back in 2014 if I'm not mistaken, but even when I got it on sale it wasnt really alive. But its nice to revisit old online games sometimes, especially games like Runescape or Club Penguin.

Runescape forum back in the day which kind of helped introduce me to the fleeting nature of threads since that would delete anything that fell beyond page 50.
Also used to go on Homing Cancel for Arcana Heart 3 info and tech. That's dead now and it's been replaced by a discord server which is more useful.

user….

Same as this guy.

IRL

Back when I was 12 I joined Gamewinners. All I used was the Sonic forum, where I would make an ass of myself by posting constantly about my donut steels. Never got banned, but I did leave after I got on everyone's nerves.

Then I made my own gaming forum a few months later. Nobody joined it, of course, since I had no online or IRL friends to form a community with.

Before I found Holla Forums, I talked about games IRL with my friends.

I know, they're shutting it down to make a new service to scam kids with.

Some shitty tf2 dedicated forum and steam forums.
it was pretty bad all around.

Good ol Ice Dagger

I was obsessed with finding an MMO like .hack back in the day and would frequent onrpg often. There were some good people there, though the admin was a cross dressing fedora atheist obsessed with Neon Genesis. I can't imagine he dodged becoming a super koolaid drinking liberal now.

also, posting there was the first time I learned being a Christian vidya enthusiast wasn't the norm. Boy did they rip me a new one when I said being gay is a sin.

Fungo's Silent Hill forum
Obviously it's filled with cancer but Rosseter came out of it with TwinPerfect so something good managed to live from it.

Something Awful. :^)
Eleven years ago.

Fuckoff Goon

being gay is a sin, it wouldn't be fun if it wasn't

I used to post on the Killer Instinct forums to see how the game progressed during the initial stages, until I realized that I was wasting my time since I wasn't going to spend 700€ (including console and arcade stick) on a single game anyway.

back to the pits of hell with you demon

That and the shadow sword were stupidly overpowered, but thats what made it fun.

Nintendo NSider forums 2005-2006
GameTrailers General Discussion board 2009-2010

Runescape and World of Warcraft forums. It was in those places that I learned to hate idiots in multiplayer game communities, and I learned how strong fanboyism can be. My God, Blizzdrones are second to none, there is nothing that comes close to how fanatical and lacking in self-control these people are. They will eat anything that Blizzard shits out, no matter the quality. No change is too terrible that a Blizzdrone will not choose it as his hill to die on, and then again when the next retarded change rolls out. If you think neogaf or reddit are dumb, I implore you to browse Blizzard's forums.

We used to share our WinMSN accounts in weeb forums and talk there. Good stuff.

I found Holla Forums on halfchan around 2006, I think I used some obscure chat forum before that.
Early halfchan is embarrassing to think about, you could never get away with acting the way anons acted back then.

Where was I supposed to post before there were English chans, sempai?

That's because everyone was a fucking newfag back then.

why be embarrassed? It made you who you are today.

I look back on those old 2006-2008 era screen caps about epic lulz and shit and can't help but cringe. Fucking long cat is long and all that manor of gay shit. If you don't recognize where it you came from, you'll never grow.

The Escapist forums. And holy fuck what a shitshow it was. At least they had an IRC channel to shitpost in.

If you're reading this wilsonscrazybed, you showed lolicon to a minor. Just thought you should know :^)

VGcats forums

Those were the coolest fifteen-year olds on the net. They drew art for their forum members to use as avatars.

before Scott decided to wipe the forums because tight-knit pack of friends who knew each other were kicking out new members because they were stupid/normalfag so he appointed new mods and made it normalfag friendly. All for the sake of increasing his forum member count, exposure, and for more people to fanboy his work.

The author of vgcats is a fucking faggot. And to think I used to play gunbound with him.

No dude, it's like looking back on shitty drawings you made when you were a kid.
People said stuff like "OMG!! FALLOUT 3 WAS ANNOUNCED!1!!1!! :D B3TH3SDA F0R TH3 W1N!!!!!!" seriously.

I used IRC more then i used an actual fourm. Mostly stayed away from fourm posting aside from "wheres the patch to x" posts.
something awful

Were you just active today?

>No one has said gaia online yet

Welp.
Lurked the videogame forums and hung out in rally.

My shame knows no bounds.

None.
I just played the video.

there's a reason why no one said it, faggot

do
you
really
want
to
know?

Facepunch

stormfront.org

legendaryfrog forums, back when newgrounds was the hottest shit ever.

Glory days.

I squatted around parks drinking cheap beer and arguing dumb shit. Now fuck off.

Don't you mean tumblr?

This tbh.

Also, I heard a popular gaming podcast in my country that kinda had a community around it, but the interaction was lacking since it only had a msn group and the commentary section, the former was dedicated to shitposting and modbaiting.

Also, I used to go to a couple of rpg maker forums and an animation one, but that would be the answer to /agdg/-like forums question.

CTRL+ALT+DEL forums. I had hundreds of reputation points. Fucking kill me.

roblox has become 1000% cancer since though

Oh no. The tumblr came during my TF2 and Homestuck years. My tumblr friends all left because I told them my mother's death was more important than their gender politics.

Definitly.

Pretty much just Serebii's forums. Maybe Runescape's forums as well. Wasn't allowed much vidya growing up in the first place, and since Pokemon and Spyro (PS1 entries) were my staple games back then I didn't see much of a reason for going anywhere else to discuss vidya I didn't see myself having a shot at playing. Eventually found halfchan back in 2006 if not earlier; can't remember how, really.

SomethingAwful before the great moot scoot.
I came across Holla Forums during WoW's beta.

GameFAQS, being one of the few, the irritable, those who knew how to fucking use Hotbot and read instruction manuals.
AtariAge - No comment
Polycount - Used to do texture and map work for Quake 2
SegaXtreme - Lingering death
Sega16 - Neat
RetroMags - Low traffic, interesting at times
GaiaOnline, because I knew all of the staff when it first started. I forget my user ID, but it was lower than 20.

I registered damn near everywhere back in the early 2000s, just in case I felt like contributing to whatever community.

do you feel that all the time you spent there is loss

Misc forums for each game, 4chan, then here around September of 2013(?)

The pun almost fit. Almost.

You came here a year before GG?

I think. I was told that Holla Forums had webms with sound and that had me sold at first. Then the shitstorm with the mods happened and I never went back.
I wasn't too interested in GamerGate (still not really, I really don't understand it to full extent), but hey, it got this site popular, I can't complain.

WoW forums if you can count that? I mean you automatically have an account if you play the game, probably only posted a few times a year but I lurked my realm forums quite a bit.

Can confirm, but I still think neogaf is exponentially worse. For every sycophant who would defend anything Blizzard did there was at least someone there to call them out it wasn't a complete fucking hivemind like gaf.

I used DevilMayCry(dot)org for year before coming here the site already had a bad reputation that I was unaware of at the time.

What made the place so cancer is that it's pretty much the only safe haven for DmC fanboys there is. They were aloud to shit on the old DMC games as much as they wanted, but as soon as you would criticize DmC then they would shit the bed and the mods would come in to "prevent a flame war"

One time I was PMed (so the mods wouldn't yell at this guy) for saying DmC was too easy and this guy said I wasn't allowed to call DmC easy until I had video proof of me beating Hardcore God must die.
He wanted me to shell out another 40 bucks on the Definitive edition of a game I already didn't like just so I could call the game easy.

There were some genuinely nice people on the site but the cancer outweighed them.

I didn't realize Ninja Theory had an actual fanbase.

it was probably Tameme shitposting

First forum I went to was KHInsider's.
KH was the first game to compel me to seek an online community. It was fun, considering most other users were 14 year old autists like me.

Then I mainly went to Gamespot's System Wars forum back when I was a sonytard.

Eventually I found Holla Forums and stuck with it since. Thank god I did. Holla Forums killed the fanboy inside me.

Good old fashioned runescape clan forums.

I just checked and apparently the clan is still running, but now it's become a facebook group, which I guess is a sign of the times.

TibiaBR

sheeeeeeeeit

Couldn't afford internet until I had moved out of home and had my own job, and then before I even had an internet connection or a pc to connect to the internet with this guy I knew kept showing me Holla Forums and so 4chan was my first internet talk group.

I pitty people who didn't have a shit life growing up leading to a lackluster adulthood

I was a Top 100 poster. I wish the mods had deleted my forum posts when they deleted my account, all the edgy shit I said haunts me to this day.

Whirled.

It was an eh Second-life like game. I socialized plenty with a lot of other people there at the time. About 1-2 years ago I decided to venture back to the site and see if anyone was on, maybe look through my old messages. It was all garbage and I was practically a gaiafag. Luckily it was under a different name at the time that nobody but one or two people can identify to me now. I don't regret it, though. Considering my *assburgers** and how this alongside 2 friends comprised most of my socialization at the time, I'm okay with that. I'd probably be worse off today otherwise. Then one of those friends killed themselves when I was 13. That sucked, but I was still friends with the other one.

Past that it was kongregate, was part of a roleplaying group there and also just chatted around. I was in some middle ground between guy who'd laugh at the roleplaying spergs and guy who did so himself, but I'd like to think I was better than most of them because I wasn't quite as retarded. I probably was, though. Then someone killed themselves, and stuff sorta dissolved after that.

Past that, though, I didn't really socialize with any particular online community for about 2 years. There was a group of friends based around one of the friends I mentioned in the prior paragraph, though. That then started to kick into high gear when the friend I mentioned brought a few other friends that he met at some camp thing in Washington in, and that was that. I've been with them for about 5 years now. The group's not nearly the size it used to be but the 7-10 people that are still around are really close and don't show any signs of drifting too far apart anytime soon.

I never really paid Holla Forums any much attention for the longest time. 4chan had a bad rap and the only parts of it I knew came from ED. Considering my young, fragile, autistic mind at the time, I strayed away from it until Gamergate happened. I ended up finding 8/v/ through that, and realized just what I was missing for so much of my life. I ended up sticking around, and the rest was history.

gamefaqs. com/
archive. rpgclassics. com/
geocities.jp/aloe2378/ff. htm
zombo. com/

I am too fucking old for this shit.

They must be afraid of getting their shit troweled.

I'm not too much of an oldfag, but that reminds me of when i was bored and i lurked on the internet for strange and shady sites.
I kinda miss the mystery era of the internet.

GameFAQs and before that, Bob and George.

I used Newgrounds' BBS for vidya discussion. It wasn't bad, but I imagine all the regulars are probably gone now and it would make me too sentimental if I went back out of curiosity.

I don't think I really ever discussed video games that much until I went to Holla Forums, but I think I used a little bit of the Neopets forum.

God damn, Looking at my 10 year old roblox account. Fuck…

diabloii .net
I used to steal guides from other sites and post'em like I was topshit. Good God the autism…

I never really had one go-to; but most of my game fixes came from AfterDawn, yarrs came from the kat forum, and PS3 discussion was on PS3Hax forums. Around 2012 or so, PS3hax became a giant spoonfeeding machine for newfags who never read anything, that's when I stopped talking and just lurked the news section. The only forum I really participate in any more is lddb.

Well, there's a big time gap between me using Holla Forums and using any other vidya forum, but the earliest and oldest one I ever used was Gamefaqs

I used to go on this shitty Pokemon forum called Pokemon Elite 2000. It was where everyone said to get your sprites from back when people were still making those shitty mspaint pokemon fusion sprites.

I used to post on the Ubisoft forums, from 2004 to 2006 or so. Went to halfchan in 2006 but I mostly stayed on Holla Forums. I left in 2008 and went to 7chan. Then I left there in 2009 or 2010.
Didn't have anywhere until GamerGate, then I came here.

Are you an edgelord? Literally everyone I ever talked to from there was Coldsteel-tier. That being said, I've only ever met two or three of them.

No, I don't think so.

That's their Holla Forums's shtick. don't get meme'd on son.

Oh, okay. It was years and years ago, so they may have just been messing with me. The only chans I really messed with outside of 4chan back then was plus4chan, but the place was basically just tumblr, so it didn't last long.