How MMO developers killed off MMOs

This new technology allows the world to come together and play a video game at the same time? we should make a world with integrity so that people can play a giant game of D&D. Unfortunately we will need require a fee in order to play as bandwidth fees are expensive. In the future these types of games will be so cheap anyone will be able to host them on their computer
This is a really fun concept. I can actually play with people all over the world! I cant wait until to see what the future will hold for us!
Hey look these "MMO" games are making a lot of money from the sub fees, maybe we should make one and try to get some of the money.
Good Idea we can just take our existing IP and turn it into a MMO, we have the artists for it. We can just copy what they are doing and make it more fun.
The fees cant be justified for much longer, the server costs are going down year by year and in a few years they will be next to nothing
Don't worry we will just create a game with a very appealing art style and players will play without questioning, if they insist we remove the fees we will create a meme of fees filtering out bad players or something.
This game is great! it improves on the last one in gameplay and art style. I cant wait to see what comes next for MMOs in the future
In order to secure greater revenue over the next ten years we will create MMO1, MMO2, MMO3 and MMO4. They will all have identical gameplay to their 1996 counter parts because we are lazy and simply copy ideas instead of making new ones.
MMO1 will have art assets from IP_A
MMO2 will have art assets from IP_B
MMO3 will have art assets from IP_C
We will not create our own IP because we think gamers are idiots that only care about IP and not the actual game play.
Also we will add cash stores that will allow players to bypass more annoying elements of our games.
Sir why don't we just improve those game play elements instead of making player pay? wont gamers hate knowing that our world has no integrity and money can affect it?
Are you stupid? I went to a top university for business administration. I know exactly how stupid those mouth drooling idiots are.
This game again? okay fine…I did want to play [1996 MMO] in a [IP] setting…….player stops playing 3 months after the game comes out

Because of this realization CEOs of major companies pivoted from making generic MMOs to generic LoL clones

Man, am I glad I don't play MMOs.

Early Runescape sucked when I was 12 and it sucks now.

Your mom sucked my dick when I was 12 and still sucks it now

Am I glad I never got anywhere playing vidya when I was young!

UO was better and the only reason you think fondly of runescape is because you have never played the game it attempted to rip off.

Runescape's quests were objectively better than literally any other MMO though.

I would murder someone for a Wurm Online that wasn't made in fucking Java.

WoW dev's: its always the same shit with mmo's lets try something different that combines all the great things people like about mmo's

every mmo after: "this one will be the wow killer, t-trust us"

Is all nostalgia completely delusional?

Before video game development became a "serious business" programmers would try new ideas and play around with what was possible.

If the people who created everquest didn't think it was going to be a fun game to play they would not make it and would have made something else.

At the time D&D was a popular game people played and it probably inspired the people who played it to make a clone of the game but in a game.

Today we have a bunch of business administrator drones who only look at statistics and make things based on safety and guaranteed income.

That being said I can assume the developers of everquest thought a lot of their player base where drooling retards because the grind system would drive people away.

See

I fucking wish.

People who want to create something great and new have always existed and will always exist. That doesn't mean that what they ultimately ended up making isn't motivated by financial reasons.

In the early and mid 90s hotlines for hints in adventure games were a profitable business. Why do you think Moon Logic was so common back then? Roberta Williams may have been inspired from her days playing games way back when, but i sure as hell am sure people didn't hire her because of those inspirations. They hired her to make bait for their hotlines and magazine guides.

When a market is saturated by low quality content it is much harder for a person to get their game out there as they both have to create something that takes effort and convince people to try something new

Look at youtube and the stream of Lets players.
Its impossible for a great animator to get anywhere on youtube because a video that takes him 100hours to create and 10 minutes will be drowned out by a lets player live streams a video game and uploads 10 hours of content a day

While I agree, I think the ability to quantify certain aspecs of games. For example adding a "level" mechanic to keep people playing.
Although I guess I can easily disprove myself by looking at arcades where games were made specifically so you would insert a coin after every so often.
There is probably a short golden age whenever a very new way of doing things is made where business has not yet found exactly how to maximize their profit and thus must do some testing and release actual shit that wasn't gimped.

That is not fully true. Advertising is part of any business. While I am not a huge fan of advertising, you always need some. If you aren't doing any advertising, it is as if you believe your product isn't really worth spending resources on. If your product is truely great, it will take off with minimal advertisement, but you do need some.
Of course better tools to manage your choice also help.

Also, if you made a 100 hour work as a business, then you should be sure it will in fact pay up. If you made it as a work of love, don't demand it is also a viable economic product.

there is a wow project that is developing a version of the game where factions don't exist (humans can partner up with orcs), classes don't exist (you can get any spell and any talent you want and equip any armor you want) and dying to pvp will cause your loot to drop

it works very well, and it has the potential to be like an old school mmo given that the developers don't shit the bed with the development direction

why.jpg

Why not just make a new MMO? Take the engine and do something new with it, for fucks' sake just let WoW die already.

There are grown "adults", on Holla Forums, that think MMOs started in 1996.

because warcraft is fun you autist

Likely because its built on wow so they don't have to make new assets for everything. Wow like games also work pretty well for MMOs because its not too lag sensitive.

Someone doesn't know about Air Warrior.
Although you do have a fair point OP. Frankly nothing makes me drop an MMO quicker than seeing the same shitty Tab Targetting hotbar combat setup in literally every fucking game, even shit like TERA doesn't even get far enough away from this to be any fun

It's not fun to have every single mmo be either wow mechanically or wow spiritually or wow literally.

I'm not expecting them to start from scratch, but they could try to change the world and characters enough to seem like a different thing. Mix and match and alter existing assets for new ideas.

The loot dropping on death aspect of the game is 'meh'.

The concept of player death being so prevalent throughout the game is a huge problem because original WoW was not designed with that aspect in mind.

There's a massive unbalance between zones and faction outposts where you can easily get killed without any opportunity to see your enemy, yet alone fight back. Certain classes are more predisposed at surviving ambushes than others too.

Endgame will probably just be Rogues since they're the best equipped at hiding like faggots lel

I don't know which project this is, but it sounds like a wow private server project. In which case you can't mix and match too much without it still being wow.

WoW was literally Everquest for retards.

Couldn't this be applied to the games industry in general? The suits taking over, caring more about brand recognition, adding cash shops etc?

Then make your own fucking mmo game. What the fuck is wrong with you

what about muds?

has anyone played that CArpg game that looks awful but is done 4 free?

im not sure if the devs are autistic or just bad at 3d modelling.

you're forgetting that sub fees also allow devs to continually pump out content for games that would otherwise have grown stale very shortly. FFXIV gets like a ton of new stuff every 3 months or so and probably wouldn't if it was free to play or something.

Also managing multiple MMO's sounds like a sure fire way of having all of them shutdown within a year.

Always related.

That's basically what you said, faggot.

No it isn't.

Let me rephrase: if you have the skills to modify WoW, then you're wasting your talent if you make another WoW instead of something different.

There are grown "adults" on Holla Forums, that don't even know what a BBS is.

Most people didn't have $$$ to spend on a computer back in in 1980

TextRPGs were amazing. I sorta miss that. I remember a bunch of Japanese text RPGs brought over by dedicated real geeky translators back in the day.

But I think lack of innovation is what killed MMOs abd MMOs can only make a massive comeback once VR is perfected.

YOU KIDS MAKE ME FUCKING SICK
lat kin nub gruk wud lat mizzin

OP your an idiot, the people who killed MMO are blizard with their shit WOW attracting all the casuals and making other mmo devs want the casual cash.

Runescape is literally nostalgia bait, the game. It was popular to most kids who, otherwise, would never have played a 3d MMO or even an open world game around a time when massive game communities weren't really available to kids like they are now. It also had comfy as fuck graphics and a bunch of shit to interact with. Doesn't mean the game itself was good or anything. Maybe if you paid for a membership it got better, but I remember 90% of the game was grinding spawns, grinding skills, wandering around, talking to random people in game and hanging out with people I knew IRL in game.

So what you're saying is, it isn't Blizzard or WoW's fault, but the fault lies with the people who copied them

I assume the process goes something like this

No, it's plenty Blizzard's fault for going out of their way to cultivate a community that wasn't just the lowest common denominator, but also crushing the idea that anything else was even possible, and that any deviation from their shittier EverQuest should be attacked until it conformed.
Shitty suits from marketing and investors as well as braindead developers subsisting solely on god-awful surface level emulation of successful games are still central to the cancer, but there's just as much blame to be put on the shitheap market and community that was constantly made even worse by the former threat to non-cancer.