Lets talk about why this game has god-tier writing

Lets talk about why this game has god-tier writing.
This game does something that I've never seen another game do, which is allowing its characters to not know things. The entire game is about knowledge and most of the factions reflect this. In the beginning, you are shot because Benny has the knowledge that you carry an item.
Later on, we find out that he does not have the knowledge of what this item does. Caesars Legion has the knowledge that the chip might open up a vault underneath an outpost they have set up, but they don't know where the chip is.
The Boomers entire arc is based upon the fact that they completely lack the knowledge of the outside world, same with the Brotherhood of Steel I believe. Both factions have been keeping themselves locked up for quite some time.
All of this comes together exceptionally well. The player is only assumed to be important but nobody really understands why.
This idea that the characters are allowed to know what they know and not know what they don't know is an impressive feat of writing. A Bethesda game would have all of their characters know about everything that is going on, all the time.

Other urls found in this thread:

hitboxteam.com/designing-game-narrative
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You have incredibly poor standards and are probably homosexual as well.

Dubs confirms ;-;

Boy, you're a homo.

It was the best nuFallout.
Not that that is saying much

So I take it you haven't played many good games then.

Too bad the game is so shit then.

I agree, fellow anonymous poster. Fallout 3 is the superior game and a much better RPG than New Vegas will ever be.

what
you must not play any RPGs
play Geneforge, Gothic, Fallout 1 or 2

All 3D Fallout games are the same shit with different flavoring.

2D Fallout was as shitty as the 3D ones, only with unique turd flavor.

I haven't played 1 or 2 so I can't compare, but the New Vegas isn't "better" than Fallout 3 or 4, just different.

Now THIS is trolling, boys. Take notes and learn.

What really fucked up NV is the level design.

I loved NV but by no means is the writing god tier

no it's not

considering what year it came out, we could say that, and it will always be the best after the second.Maybe you say god-tier because you are not really familiar with well written games, I really feel bad for you.

We really haven't head any FO threads recently.

New Vegas does have a great story.

Oddly enough I'm more sentimental about 3 though not for story but for hours I played it. (A million)

do tell then homoslut

It doesn't.

Okay fam, I'm sure skills and attributes mattering, better writing, coherent world don't make it better, just different.

ITT: nobody actually reads the OP beyond the first sentence.

Maybe his first sentence shouldn't have been retarded.

It's better in the sense that eating puke is better than eating shit.

The graphics and moment to moment gameplay and combat are better in 4 than any other Fallout game. Where that game falls apart is anything related to story and the lack of choice you have in it.

New Vegas has more choice but it's a double edged sword. If you commit to giving the player choices, you can't then take it away or give very limited choices, which is exactly what NV does a lot. It also has some retarded things such as limb damage which is essentially a second health bar, and gives you headache IRL if you get your head damaged (see: all the fucking time because enemies have pinpoint accuracy from across the town) and don't constantly run off to a doctor to heal it because medic bags are like diamonds. Food is arguably pointless because if you get 25 survival skill (see: 1 levelup) then you can cook countless gecko steaks in the starting town which are just about the best food you can find in the first half of the game, plus they're free.

The very first disappointment in that game is the first arguably "major" quest; protecting the town against powder gangers. You go around collecting supplies and convincing people to help (see: have enough level in X skill that appeals to Y character and then click the dialogue option) against these bad guys in what seems like a significant conflict, but then when it's time to fight it's like 6 bad guys running at you and you never ended up sharing or using or doing anything with a single one of those supplies you spent time gathering or using tactics or going anywhere or doing anything interesting at all. You'll probably also kill all of them yourself, and when it's all done everyone goes back to their routine.

Maybe New Vegas just isn't my thing, but I could not bring myself to give a shit about anyone in that game. I can't recall anyone who I could describe with the words "interesting" or "appealing". That's not to say Fallout 3 or 4 had more interesting characters though, but I don't have a lot of experience with 3 anyway.

I see nu/v/ is in full force.

OP, I love NV, it is my all-time favorite game and everything I could have ever asked for in a sequel to Fallout 2. But your point is fucking ridiculous.

New Vegas does have excellent writing, but not for the reasons you listed.

As a fan of the classic fallouts, NV is my favorite and disliking it simply for not being isometric is obtuse and pretentious. Stop being faggots. (I don't know where this NV is bad meme came from recently but it started right around the time Skyrim remastered came out)

I know this is bait but NV is not a bethesda game, it was created by the team behind Fallout 2.

You niggers bashing New Vegas are being a joke, the game does have masterful writing and is a gold standard for narrative video games.
It still doesn't detract the fact that New Vegas vibrantly builds and creates unique and memorable characters and lore of the New Vegas area all around.

Name 1 actual flaw with the history and events surrounding New Vegas, until you niggers can do that fuck off.

Also New Vegas was best fallout game

It's not that great, but by all means, it's decent.

I wish there was a way to not force Benny out. I just wanted to let the guy know there were no hard feelings. I mean, fuck, lots of people tried to kill me. He's not the first, last, or even the most notable. He just happened to be the one who had the most style about it.

I would if you didn't go out of your way to sound like a baiting moron who doesn't seem like he intends to have a serious discussion and will probably just handwave any points I make away with ridiculous excuses or simply not respond at all as you bask in (You)s

It's just contrarian dynamics. People had been expressing they liked NV too much, which prompted the inverse reaction.

I'm setting the record straight and not pussy footing around, New Vegas was by far the best fallout game in terms of writing and gameplay

Plus with mod support it's not even close

Looks like someone let Bethesda into the thread.

U wot m8.

are you retarded?

Are you?

Nigger what?
Bethesda hates NV and pretends it doesn't exist. What the fuck are you talking about.
They even made a jab at it in the Nuka World DLC.

I'm convinced 90% of this thread is people that never played NV and assumed it was just like 3 and 4.

Bethesda hate how Obsidian made a better game with less time and fewer resources you nig

try playing on anything higher than easy, faggot

i always start the game on the highest difficulty and if you dont get help from the townsfolk you get raped by the bandits

FNV is okay stop overrating it I've seen hundredes of RPG's do this go back to reddit and go listen to that shit youtuber mrbtongue

This is the exact argument bethdrones make when you criticize Fallout 4.

Does the difficulty in this game do anything other than make enemies bullet sponges? Because if so then no thank you. It's hard enough preserving your limb combition with the ridiculous accuracy everyone seems to have.

If the game didn't constantly cripple my limbs and start doing sreeching sounds and eye raping visual effects because "muh concussion lol go see a doctor on the other side of the map", I'd consider it.

And I got everyone except the dynamite guy to help. There was talk of tactics and all kind of shit in the dialogue during preparation, but nothing actually came of it. The only difference as far as I can tell from all the preparation is that other people will shoot with you and you have more items to use. Most of the enemies bumrushed me anyway so my "friends" didn't get much time to help.

You're not saying how it's bad, this is why you're a joke, actually tell me how the game is bad

Git fucking gud faggot. There are gameplay elements to solve your "problems". If you don't want to get hit, make a stealth character or use a stealth boy. If you keep getting crippled out of sheer retardation, use hydra or any of the other drugs to enhance yourself. If you're using a shit gun to fight deathclaws, craft better ammo.

why would bethesda give a fuck when a different dev made the game and they have a new one out now that they have full responsibility for.

its like you have fucking downs

While you are right about those problems, still, enemies become stupid bullet sponges rather quickly. It ain't fun like that. I like hard games as much as the next guy, but grinding is shit.

Somehow I'm getting the feeling that you're one of those dark souls types who will not accept any arguments because anyone who criticizes the game is just "not good enough".

I never got to that point because the game failed to entice me that far. And don't give me that "you can't criticize the game until you finish it" bullcrap.

Seriously nigger? There's quests you literally cannot solve without mowing down enemies unless you made a pure stealth character. I put some points to stealth so I was better than average starting out, but it seemed next to impossible to use any kind of stealth methods during the early quests. Enemies seemed to hear me from behind walls and across rooms. I did find some use for stealth boys, but there's only so many of them to go around.

The first time I used a stealth boy the game threw a scripted event to negate it. In the ghoul cult factory, if you try to sneak upstairs with the ghoul that's in a defensive position, the game turns him hostile regardless of if he ever detects you, even if you leave the room without him even knowing you were there, he will attack you when you go back.

Holy fuck son get gud god damn

Hopefully you realize that you're arguing against multiple paths and player choices.

In that room is a terminal that can get rid of the supermutants who are in your way to said dead slut. But the game makes it impossible to do that, not because it's not possible to do, but because there's a scripted event that breaks such an option.

He does make a valid point with that quest. I tried the exact same thing, which caused him to attack. And that pissed me off to no end.

Have sex.

Cuckchan took over. They've been mindlessly shitting on Deus Ex, Classic Fallout, Fallout 1, and basically any WRPG.

Classic Fallout, Fallout New Vegas*

It's stupid, but Harland's pretty bugged in general so I'm not sure if that's intended behaviour.
If you talk to him before meeting Bright, he'll no longer ask you to find his girlfriend.
If you kill all the nightkin before talking to him he'll turn hostile.
If you tell him his girlfriend is dead then talk to the nightkin boss he'll turn hostile.

it came from it not actually being good , yes it was more competently written than a Bethesda game sure enough but that is a pretty low standard you have to meet.All the other problems the game had since it's previous itteration (Fallout 3) are still there : stealth is crap ,AI is crap , same engine issues&limitations as FO3 still exist and to boot the game was rushed because muh bonus
Improvements were made to FONV to kinda take the focus away from it's flaws but so there were in FO4 before Bethesda shat the bed literally the next moment .It's like jingling keys a chicken wing in front of the face of a nigglet trying to distract it from realising its gonna grow up motherless in a crack house because it's mother just got shanked by her pimp for not gettin dat peypah yo

it has more to do with not being a drooling fanbot that is willing to get down on your knees to give Obsidian an e-bj ; a somewhat of what you would call , a novel experience

OP the word you looking for is MacGuffin. It isn't god tier or even good tier writing. It is storytelling 101. FO:NV is babies forst MacGuffin story.

I will wait for the LEWD mods and mgs4 frog armor

The writing was decent. The world itself was poorly constructed, albeit better than what Bethesda are capable of. Most of the map is empty. A lot could be done to add gameplay without cluttering up the desert too much. I guess "muh desert setting" is a nice excuse to be lazy with the world building.

Bethesda does the same. Both FO3 and NV have mods to make them more fertile and less dull, but Bethesda didn't take the hint. It's easy to get away with "muh withered wasteland" so you can give no fucks about the exterior and only work on the interiors, although "muh nukes" makes sure you can just copy paste assets there as well giving no fucks about trying to make interiors look unique. Just place file cabinets everywhere and you're good.

Oblivion and Skyrim has the same problem with the dungeons. It's the shit engine that they refuse to replace since they're greedy jews. Just add some cosmetics to it and it'll always be current gen. It's not like the goyim will notice.

Every game has it's flaws. S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Deus Ex and Vamp Masquerade Bloodlines are buggy as shit but people still love them.

Just because it's not isometric doesn't mean it's any less of a cRPG. No one complains about vamp masquerade bloodlines being in first person.

You're just being contrarian because you were tired of seeing Holla Forums threads singing it's praises for years. Stop being obtuse.

I want the old Holla Forums back

No, the bonus was based on Metacritic score. The game was rushed because the ZeniMax tried to fuck them over. I'm not saying they're not related, but I'm saying in this instance, like with Kotor 2, it wasn't their fault. The only game Obsidian ever dropped the ball on and fucked up conclusively to my knowledge is Alpha Protocol.

The fuck are you on about? Obsidian being denied a bonus was a consequence of the game being rushed by Bethesda, not the other way.

But user, didn't old Holla Forums hate video games?

Holla Forums has always hated videogames, it's only recently that you're not even allowed to discuss them anymore and threads get shitposted and deleted by mods if the hivemind disapproves of it.

no.

You are the reason cuck/v/ turned to shit and why this one is in the process of doing the same.

get the fuck outta here

There's a difference between calling a game shit and preventing it from being discussed at all. It's almost twitter-tier thought policing when you try to discuss a game only to have the thread immediately swarmed by an angry mob and then deleted by an angry mod.

OP, your reasoning for why NV is great is absolutely shit tier. I understand what you are trying to say, and agree to some extent but it is much more than the knowledge factions and people possess. Everything in general feels more believeable than a Bethesda game, hell even modern RPGs from other companies can't seem to figure out how to make a believeable game world. The closest to that we've gotten recently was Witcher 3 and that game had some serious issues with this as well.
One of my favorite things about NV that modern games don't do at all is that the game recognizes and tells the player that there are people in the game world that are also larger than life characters. You aren't the only important person making changes in the mojave. The region is already soacked with the history of people who are arguably more important than you. No one could have guessed that a simple courier would become Lord Death of Murder Mountain. The only reason you were important was because Mr. House wanted you to help him.

Which elements of that game allow you to role play?

It's not god tier writing, it's just better than any Fallout game bethesda ever shat out.

New Vegas was okay. It was flawed for sure, but the fact they tried to bring back in some of the old Lore, bring back old concepts, and even use the documents from Van Buren to recreate parts of the cancelled version of Fallout 3.

After modding the fuck out of it, I enjoyed a playthrough as a prewar Ghoul courier, who was addicted to cigarettes. It was also more believable, given that 200 years later you'd expect some civilisation to be returning, and you did in the Mojave, with the NCR from the West, and the Legion in the East. Fallout 3 looked like the war had only just happened, with pretty much no civilisation to be seen, just a few shitty settlements living in craters.

A shame the game was horribly rushed, but even then it has a far more sensible storyline than Fallout 3.

You sure?

You are allowed to role play as a gruff monster hunter ;^)
I have no real intention of arguing semantics with anyone, I'm just using the broad overused definition of RPG

Holla Forums's definition of "good writing" is every sentence reads like it came out of the diary of an edgy teenager who perceives themselves to be on the fringes of society, and antagonists who are morally ambiguous (sometimes even heroic, like Ozymandias) for no reason other than for the sake of it.
Hence why this thread is full of shitters who don't read beyond the first sentence.

I got a free copy of Fallout New Vegas if anyone wants it. I'll need either a steam name or an email to send it to you though.

you should hang on to it and give it as a reward for someone putting a tiny hat on their dick and uploading it or something

Okay, first person to post a timestamped picture of their dick wearing a tiny hat gets it.

play it once on console again

Honestly I had a lot of fun without paying much attention to MUH STORY, I just had fun being told to kill something, or be told to retrieve something from across the entire damn map and back and kill things along the way.

I mean, I still enjoyed the hell out of the story and all but story isn't everything.

sure, if you are illiterate

lol

KYS

Fallout 3 is better

bethesda also fucked the developers of prey 2

i still cry from time to time ;-;

nigger wat

Fallout 4 is set in autumn. No way those leaves have been there for 200 years.

This game has shit writing just like every other video game.

My trips confirm.
Video games = shit.

unworthy

NV was the best. I got my dad into it and asked him about how he handled the Khans and other groups.
"Oh the guys with the, yeah I killed them."

My dad went aggro on the Khans, the Kings, pretty much anybody who gave him any lip. has over a million caps and thousands of rounds of most ammo.

There are good lewd mods (at least the clothes and bodies, dunno about sex) but you should hold out until FROST hits 1.0 (made by the guy that made DUST for NV). It removes all of Bethesda's shitty writing be it from NPCs, quests, terminals (eventually), removes essential NPCs, and populates the world with shit that wants to kill you as well as improving gameplay to better suit survival mode. It's very unfinished though and only fun if you've played way too much STALKER + NV + DUST and absolutely need something new.

Oh also you need gas masks and there's a mod that makes it so you need to get filters from them like in Metro 2033.

The lewd is for the female settlers that I keep as slaves at my settlements and the hardcore survival is to make the game actually fun.
Build settlements and upgrade your weapons/armor. It's not great incentive but at least I care more about that than rescuing muh baby boy.
Pirate that shit no exceptions don't even consider giving them your shekels.

Any suggestions for well written games?

I can't think of any games whose writing is on par with the best movies/books but within the medium of video games you'd best look at:

Then there's games that have good writing in specific areas but not others

Most of these examples of writing don't really utilize the medium though. To the Moon really should just be a straight up movie and Danganronpa is only a game by the technical definition.

I forgot to mention SOMA but because of the shit gameplay and its extreme prevalence it's not even worth playing. An hour long video analysis would be a better use of your time than running away from retarded trivial monsters for the better part of a 15 hour "game."

It has literally been here since day one but this site spurges out on any opinion that isn't popular despite spamming 𝑣 𝑖𝑠𝑛'𝑑 π‘œπ‘› π‘π‘’π‘Ÿπ‘ π‘œπ‘›, but then again the children that inhabit this site hate to type let alone read more than two sentences, which is why you see so many >π‘€π‘Žπ‘™π‘™ π‘œπ‘“ 𝑑𝑒π‘₯𝑑 replies

This game was just disappointing. I knew what the gameplay would be like going in, but they made it out to be something completely different than what it was. From the prerelease info I thought it was going to be a lot more about dealing with identity and the subject of people getting turned into robots; instead it was about robot people for like 5 minutes and then once the press demo parts were over it turned into generic amnesia looking body horror enemies. I liked the "coin toss" shit near the end (I'm interested in transhumanism and the thought of Ghost in the Shell-style cyber-brains always wigged me out because of this subject) but it was an afterthought and the rest of the game was just a running away simulator.

Here's hoping for Routine for horror with robots, at least.

So you guys actually gonna answer his question or avoid and minimize some more?

It has many examples of awful writing and some examples of good writing. I don't exactly have a lot of options if I can only post examples of good writing from games. DR2 chapter 5 is better than any mystery in any Sherlock Holmes book I've read or even Ten Little Niggers/And Then There Were None aka the GOAT murder mystery. This isn't about any element of the writing other than the plot of that murder though, DR dialogue is garbage compared to the similarly snappy/campy dialogue executed far better in something like Charade (movie).

Also Nagito Komaeda is a genuinely good villain.

Walking encyclopedias. The short stories that you read in the books are fairly entertaining

That's not good writing. Good story telling through visuals and atmosphere and all the little details, yes. But not writing.

No. Just no.

Mask of the Betrayer is fairly decent.

Problem is, most games tend to fall short in one or many categories and thus can't qualify as being "well written". Usually end up with one or more of these being below average or straight up awful: story, dialogue, characters and story telling through written elements.

If you're interested in somewhat well written VNs, the second half of Clannad is amazing and more than makes up for the boring first half. Could also consider Planetarian and Symphonic Rain to be well written.

I didn't mean to imply that it told its story through gameplay well, it just has some good writing
Both of them have more consistent themes than most movies and the characters are pretty great too. The main story in each is pretty simplistic but simple stories aren't bad by any means.
see

They were shit games we pretended to like to trick redditors, you'd know if you weren't such a newfag.

How is it good writing if it doesn't tell its story well?

It told it well, just through a different medium than the one the rest of the game is in. A book in Morrowind is a book that just happens to be a game. If the greatest novel ever written was a book inside of a game that wouldn't diminish the quality of that book, you just might question why the book is even in the game in the first place instead of being a standalone book.

So when someone asks for well-written games, you think they're asking for books that are in games.

But that's unfortunately what most of them are looking for, even on Holla Forums. They're looking for good writing contained within a game, why do you think cinematic cutmeme games get praised so heavily for their story?

Videogames just aren't a good medium for explicit stories, every game has story whether they have one that's written or not but it's not the kind of story that developers have total control over. I don't think OP was looking for an answer like "Dwarf Fortress" despite the many interesting stories one can experience in that game that are entirely the product of gameplay mechanics.

If what I'm saying doesn't make sense read this, it explains it far better than I can: hitboxteam.com/designing-game-narrative

Are you the same retard who posted your video script in the RPG definition thread?

Yeah, why am I retarded?

Man, no. What I've already read is too much, I don't want to read more.

Well if you aren't going to give constructive criticism then there's no need to reply. I don't even want to make this video, I just want something I can send to people even more retarded than you think I am to explain the concept of role-playing and I cannot find anything that already does this.

I don't even like RPGs all that much, it's just annoying that despite the massive amount of videos that explain the appeal of nearly every game mechanic there is not one that does so with role-playing in a relatively succinct and focused way.

Every fallout after Fallout 2 is an abomination

Except for the part where Bethfags pretend that NV never happened because Obsidian had shat all over Fallout 3 with half the budget and time that Todd & Co. had.

Yeah, that'd be Zenimax/Bethesda, to be precise. That's similar to how Arkane got fucked over during the development of Dishonored.

I hate to defend bethesda on anything, but FO3 had handled the basics in making FO3 with Gamebryo… things that were probably passed on to the NV team.

That said, Obsidian still shat all over Bethesda

True. Then again, I remember reading somewhere that Bethesda basically got all original Gamebryo devs working for them by late 2000s. If that's the case, that really wouldn't be hard for them.

it is a rare thing, and its depressing that something so simple and real is so rarely employed.
its always fucking true

Holla Forums is not one person goys! And there is no definition or standard of Holla Forumstier "good writing"

This fascinates me, please give the details!

There you go again.

Bunch of casual faggots.

DAILY REMINDER THAT THE LEGION IS THE BEST FACTION IN NV

It doesnt. Somehow, Caesars Horde of Muslim Wannabes manage to defeat the Boomers and the Brotherhood of Steel. As in, invade and kill them all.

The sheer bullshit of that is hard to underestimate.

In fact, that Caesar Legion, as displayed in the first version of New Vegas, should not have been a cresible threat. To fucking anybody.

The asstard had to make belive some shit about unlimited stealthboys for his stick wielding retards who behaved more like Muslims than Romans.

Lol deathclaw

Jesus Christ, bait is getting really weak these days.

Yeah just fucking kill them all.

Romans never specifically treated women that shittily.

Muslims still do.

Pic related, it's this entire thread.

Sierra Petrovita(that nuka cola addict from fallout 3) tells you she traveled to the west coast just to drink sunset sarsaparilla(which aside from being unnecessary and impractical, is impossible due to the radiation storms dividing the country)

And says something along the lines of "It wasn't very good and I'd like to forget about the whole experience"

Which is clearly referring to New Vegas.

assassins creed?

I liked alpha protocol, combat was pretty shit but the story and choices were fun, nothing like slaughtering every muslim in the first level and having your fellow agent notice it and approve, also martial arts build, lots of fun.

oh man is that robot a reference to flowery from undertale?

New Vegas isn't as bad as Fallout 3 or 4

stop compromising with nostalgiacucks

From one point you are wrong, since fallout came out before undertale. But now that you mentioned it, that flower might had been referencing the happy robot.

Wasn't the legion started by a classics professor and a psychopath?

I wonder if any of the older Fallout games could get a total conversion treatment in the New Vegas engine.

There was a mod called "Fallout: The Story" that was in the works a while ago, but it never really went anywhere as far as I know.

No, the Legion was started by an anthropologist and a Mormon.