When is it okay to "cheat"?

Guides, maps, easy mode, save states, OP weapons/characters, you name it.
I'm going to play Legacy of the Wizard, but I don't want to take forever to finish it. Would using a map/guide when I get stuck soil the experience? I drew maps for Zelda but there's no way I can do it for this.

when you're feeling gay

which is never

If you don't want to play hard games why fuck are you going to play a insane NES game, retard

:^)

When you are bored and need to test things. Or whatever you are playing a singleplayer game and want to fuck around or bypass stupid shit.

?¿?¿?

The try hards will want to fit in and call you out for cheating, you have to remember one thing. Nintendo since the dawn of time had the gimmick of REQUIRING you to have a subscription to Nintendo Power to beat games like Legacy of the Wizard and other games. Also, when going back and playing an old game, see what actually came with the game in the first place. Like what was contained in the box set.
As for straight manipulation of code, that is fucking bullshit. If you are required to cheat in a game to enjoy it, then maybe you should just play a different game.

When you leave the game and want to continue later, if the game doesn't have passwords or save files, that's the only proper usage.
Guess that deserves getting called a fag unless you want to check out a special bad ending.
Those are okay, actually, i think they're more acceptable for NES era games, which came with manuals and maps.
Nothing wrong with these either, if you discovered an overpowered set of items, it can be yours to fuck around.

Or you could just ignore all of this and be as casual as you want, don't let others dictate how you play singleplayer games, specially when shitty modern games do it for you.

I've been saying shit like this for fucking years. Devs have always held content behind some form of paywall, whatever the technology allowed them at the time - in the case of the 80s and 90s, it was difficulty. "Want to know how to get passed this level? Buy the guide!" Hell, if I remember correctly, Wolfenstein reminded you to buy the guide every time you ended the game. If devs could have on-disc DLC back in the 80s and 90s, they would have fucking done it.

I don't give a shit when somebody cheats in a single player game.

It is fine to cheat to skip pointless grinding that the developers put in the game to get you to buy some shitty micro transaction.
Also, carry limits. Fuck carry limits. Unless it is really generous or your storage box is not too far away.

With the prevalence of online guides, you shouldn't need to cheat at old games anymore. But seriously, did they have Nintendo Power in mind when they made the first Zelda?

First Zelda came with a map, so when you play it today you're at a huge disadvantage without it since you'll be lost unless you draw your own map.

Legacy of the wizard is an amazing game, but it does require some guidance to enjoy it properly.

All you really need to know is that each family member has part of the dungeon tailored to them. Each of these paths diverts from the dragon room. Knowing what the items do is also pretty important, since the game isn't going to tell you.

Save states are lame though.

The final battle in that game can bug out on most emulators, as a warning.

I beat the first Zelda without a guide and without the map a long time ago with no problem. I don't get why you guys have a problem with it.

What are you, 5? Do whatever the fuck you want. You don't need papa Holla Forums's permission or approval just to play video games.

Using extreme cheating methods like cheat engine and whatever invulnerability mode is at hand can be fun to break the game. Its fun to break parts that are intended to insta kill you.

When I feel like it.

I'll use a FAQ or walkthrough when the mechanics or method of progression is needlessly opaque. When it gets beyond the point of being a reasonable challenge given the context of the game then it impedes my enjoyment and I'll grudgingly visit gamefaqs. This has only ever happened rarely, for instance trying to understand the forging mechanics in Legend of Mana.

If you paid for it, it's ok to do whatever the fuck you want with it as long as it doesn't interfere with other peoples ability to enjoy the game, i.e. cheating in multiplayer is for faggots.

Some games just bring the "fun" levels to a new level when you dick around with cheat codes like in something like GTA or in card games to get cards you actually want to use. There's no reason to justify cheating in a single player game. Only autists give a shit about this and no one gives a shit about them.

Usually would do that on the first playthrough. Subsequent playthroughs would be on increased difficulties

It's fairly acceptable. Especially when you live in a country where the local stores sold bootleg version of the games(which also include the DLC already unlocked for you) which only consists of the disc and cover and nothing else. That Metal Gear Solid 1 bit with "frequency behind the CD case" was a killer back when I was a kid because there was no screenshot of the frequency on the back of my CD envelope.

When you are at the Safari Zone and stumbled upon that illusive Kangaskhan, Chansey or Dratini. Fuck the Safari Zone for that.

And cheats in general? I only use them when the game cheats. Seto uses 3 BEUD in Forbidden Memories? I got 3 of my own too. Cooler with max health and beam spams non-stop? Get me that OHKO cheat.

When you feel like it. Videogames are for fun, if you think cheating will make your experience more enjoyable then go for it.

You will never be the very best.

I cheat when I play any game by myself and whatever I'm doing is too frustrating or would take too much time. I have a life, I don't need to be frustrated in videogames. I either quit or cheat and it doesn't fucking matter because games are a waste anyway.

Time saving and patience.
Are you fighting a annoying boss and dying repeatedly and have a long trek back from the last save point to the boss room, then do it.

I remember I used restore point in the 3DS VC version of Mole Mania and it's annoying final level boss rush and final boss (who I believe can't be fought without losing at least some health because of his speed). When you do die to him you end up having to repeat half the previous bosses just to fight him again, fuck repeating the same thing I already did.

Thanks, kind user. I guess being a fag is paying off for me, because I bought the cartridge for $4. Some asshole put a sticker over the logo and it was a pain to get it off.

I only use savestates and fast-forward when they don't break the game, like when I don't want to watch the same cutscene play or do the same trivial pre-requisites over and over when I fail and re-try or when I want to stop playing and come back later (if just leaving the console on for however long you weren't playing was viable in the original release).

However, you can use whatever you want in whichever way you want, because it's your choice and your fun. If using a guide is more enjoyable than figuring a puzzle out yourself, don't let Holla Forums faggots with a superiority complex stop you.

You shouldn't claim that you're skilled at a game or pass judgement on it if you abused outside help though.

When you're having fun.

Pic related as an example of something that is fine to use without ruining the game.

The only times it is not acceptable to cheat is in multiplayer games, every other case is OK.

For fun? Go right ahead. For progression? Git gud.

Don't feel bad, user. Legacy of the Wizard and other old, obtuse games are practically unbeatable on your own. I played it for years as a kid and never got anywhere until GameFAQs existed.

Well that was my point.

Wow she's cute. Too bad the Falcom thread is pure sony cancer or I'd talk about the game and her there.

Never. If you cheat at a game you're a fucking faggot and you should hang yourself.

I used Super Vergil to beat Hell and Hell mode in DMC4SE

To be fair I think I earned that costume and honestly Hell and Hell is too forgiving, I reckon I can do it without the costume

user threw a ROCK!
Enemy KANGASKHAN is angry!
Enemy KANGASKHAN ran!

If you're beat, you're beat. Last time I used a guide was for VLR and I'm confident I wouldn't have figured it out on my own.
I'm a little embarrassed about it. I was totally overthinking the first fucking puzzle to the point the actual solution looked like a red herring to me

when it's fun, basically

It could be argued that game demos are actually Free-To-Play games with a giant paywall to finish the story

When you're pissing off the typical gitgudfag. Let me share a story.

>he pushes his fucking glasses up
"Adapt."

He just had to git gud, right? Why was he so upset?

Funny, but you're still a pathetic cheater.

Just git gud, man.

When it's not a multiplayer game.

You sure told him, user.

Ok user you can tell me, how much of this story was embellished?

when you feel like it, we're talking about video games, for God's sake

What's it like to be mad?