OpenXCom

Can we have an OpenXcom thread? I know there's already an XCOM General but it's mostly new shit.

This is my first time playing an Xcom game, it's actually my first time playing a turn based strategy game seriously. What a beautiful game, I have not been able to put it down at all. I just researched the Martian Solution and I'm a bit concerned about attacking a battleship since I tried that and my Interceptor got trashed easily. I managed to manufacture an avenger but I'm not quite sure if that's enough. Thoughts?

Also name your favorite mods.

IIRC I think an Intercepter with Plasma cannons should be tough enough to take out a battleship, but you'll be looking at repairs. Also watch out- the improved craft use Elerium for fuel.

I mean avenger.

I got the fucker and got "Cydonia or Bust" but I can't access the last mission.

You need the Avenger all ready to go- it's the only craft you're allowed to use for transport to Cydonia.

Disregard. I didn't know I had to click intercept first.

Xpirates right now. Its can be overwhelming and stressful sometimes. You have to capture a ton of units, so its less burn maim and kill and more burn main and oh hey that guys looks important better stun him.
I think the mond I ran with vanilla are the shotgun, grenade launcher, and sniper mods though I may use more at some point.

I've never played with mods, although final mod pack looks decent. It seems to follow a "everything and the kitchen sink" philosophy though since it adds not just weapons, but also new types of enemy like the men in black.

It's been a long time since I've played X-COM. Luckly I'll be going away for a while so it'll be just me and my shitty laptop with old games on it. It'll be good to get away from modern shit for a bit, I've been playing Long War for EW and despite enjoying it the retarded limitations of it get under my skin sometimes.
I hope my work and coworkers leave me time for vidya and books.

I've been eyeing the final modpack too, I guess I could just download it and see what in it.

Yeah, I'm actually on Cydonia right now, about to beat the shit out of these alien bastards. I honestly thought it would be harder but then again, I did stock up on plasma rifles.

I'm assuming in xprirates. What did you do for equipment after a while? Theres so much shit to choose from I have trouble "standardizing" my equipment.

No, I'm actually playing vanilla. The only mods I'm using are the PS1 Music and SFX. Will try XPirates tomorrow.

Oh sorry, I just clicked send without answering your question. At least in vanilla, the plasma pistol and rifle have worked really well for me. A smoke grenade, proximity grenade and some flares are good to have on your team too. A good rocket launcher is a must for those annoying UFOs in my (limited) experience.

Oh. Well in that case good luck. It adds so much new shit its really overwhelming. Even what skills and stats effect guns, all the different armor soaks. Its a lot to take in. And it can run for much longer than a vanilla game. Melee is pretty huge now, and good guns are tough to get at the start, then those good guns become trash against the higher tier enemies. You will see many things that will make you shit your pants.
The good thing is that the upper limit for gals is HUGE compared to the regular xcom solider.
Take it slow, black powder bombs are your friend, and you will get a base invasion at the worse time.

Damn. A vanilla game already took me 4 days, I wonder how much an Xpirates game will take. Granted 1 of those 4 days was learning the basics.

LONG, to be fair I don't know how much time each day you gave it. But the research trees in this shit are huge, although the author is doing some shit to help with that next patch or something. Its a lot to sink your teeth into.

No.

Yes, shit as in trash.

Oh fuck you've got taste
Don't even get near Nucom EWW or nucom 2.

Never thought I'd see the day.

The other thread is called xcom general for a reason. Mods should bumplock this thread.

You're a dumb, underage piece of shit that can't use the catalog and you should kill yourself.

No, you're a dumb, underage piece of shit that should kill himself.

lumping in the original XCOM with the new X-COM 1 and X-COM 2 in one big thread is retarded
its kinda like the TES threads. you've got a shitty MMO, a game thats mostly randomly generated that is the size of britain, a game set on an island with an active volcano and with dark elves and living gods, a game with horrible level scaling with a generic setting, and so on.
i have tried to talk about open xcom/XCOM UFO Defense in those threads before and nobody would talk about it there. the OP in the XCOM "general" is all about XCOM 2.

That's why I made the new thread. I don't want to talk about Nu-COM or Nu-COM 2. I don't want to start with diet X-COM, I wanted to play a real X-COM game that doesn't hold my hand or pampers me into it. I've never played any tbs game seriously, and I don't plan on starting with babby game.

Starting xpirates now. Wish me luck niggers.

In the original game you can amass up to four aircrafts following the battleship with their controls minimized, and then engage all four at once. That way the opponent would have the least time to return fire and damage them before being shot down.

Holy shit at last I truly see

edgy retard

I always tried to kill them from a distance since I figured it was dumb to go up close to something with such huge claws. It felt good to finally have a reliable way to kill those fuckers.

Firaxis please go.

Firaxis shills suck my fucking cock you goddamned retards

Is there any project that has taken up what The Two Sides tried to do?
That was the only xcom mod i ever played and i loved it.

I thought sonics were their big weak spot

Nope, sonics only do 50% damage, though that's still better than AP or gauss. Drills do 200% damage, which will often kill them in one hit.

Dealing with them in the early game became easier when I found out that the thermal tazers are effective against them