Arcade Gaming

How are those one coin clears coming along, Holla Forums?

Would anyone be down for multiplayer via mamehub?

Other urls found in this thread:

majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/mamehub,1.html
10ghost.net/MAMEHubDownloads/MAMEHub_4.0.zip
github.com/MisterTea/MAMEHub/wiki/Getting-Started
twitch.tv/gallopingghostarcade
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not so good, just took 8 credits to get through Metal Slug 5.

I'd love to do some MAMEHubbing if I could get the damn thing to compile on GNU/Linux.

Couldn't get mamehub to compile either, so I just went with a pre-compiled build off the internet which is working ok.

Linux build? Where?

majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/mamehub,1.html

Run MAMEHub.sh and it just werks.

Looks like a trojan site.

Major Geeks isn't.

God i'm glad that the arcades are dead
Good riddance

MAME cuts out half that crap now so you can enjoy testing the limits of your vidya abilities from the comfort of your home.

while youre wasting coins trying to gitgud ill just pay my way to victory and save myself time and money

Ugh, 9 credits this time.

There's no satisfaction in just credit feeding through a game.

The excitement of playing a game well, that's the true spirit of arcade gaming.

you weren't good lmao

Arcade games are for looking flashy and eating quarters.

git gud and they'll stop eating quarters

Only in western arcades, which is why they're rightly dead.

Back in the '80s Western arcade developers weren't quite so greedy at least. They managed to make some good video games and pinball machines with a lot of bang for buck. When the '90s rolled around they went full jew.

Nah, it started in the early days. Even then, it wasn't just arcade manufacturers like the ones responsible for disgraces like pic related, it was arcade owners who would crank up difficulty and cost beyond default settings just to make more money quicker.
When distributors began pushing redemption games and the "family fun center" model, it was completely over.

Did the original Gauntlet actually have the constantly draining health mechanic or was that introduced in Gauntlet Legends?

>pickpockets, FUCKING PICKPOCKETS

God, I got early PTSD when feminism and SJW's weren't a thing yet

I'm glad since consoles became popular we have much more accessible, easier and story-focused videogames for the majority of gamers.

I clear King of Dragons with 1coin easy. Now i try do to it without single dead.
Working on 1 coin clear Tumble Pop.

Arcade games have always been accessible. Their pick-up-and-play nature has always been one of their strong points.

Yes, the original had it, but it's far worse than that.
In the original version of Gauntlet, the game could be played indefinitely on one credit with skillful play.
Therefore, it was revised to remove many of the food items, making a one credit clear of the game mathematically impossible even with completely perfect play.
It's my go-to example of how the western arcade industry is fucking garbage and how arcade games obtained the stigma of "eating quarters".

Seriously what the fuck man, they had every single time crisis game but not a single fighting game.
I ended up playing a bunch of Daytona USA and Pac-Man Battle Royale. Then I used the rest of my tokens on Sega's Airline Pilots. That game has no right being that fun, I need to find out if I can emulate it somehow.

BRUUUU BRUUUU SKIIIIIIIES

Grow a pair of balls you pansy shit

Can MAME emulate this?

There's a bowling alley and a bar in the basement too. It's fuckin wonderful.

I have been looking to import that table flipping arcade game.

>doesn't like arcades, the fun games, heading across the street for a hamburger afterwards with friends and family, beating a popular game in one go, mingling with other gamers, bragging rights on the scoreboards

>>>/bog/

Weeb confirmed to have never been in an Asian arcade.

wew laddos

Yes, but a bit inaccurately, if I remember. It's also not fullspeed I don't think. At least, Dirt Dash isn't so I don't think Cybersled would either.

I just tried it in sdlmame 0.176 and it's playable but there's some weird graphics glitching with the main menu graphics obscuring the screen when coming out of service mode

You are blinded by nostalgia my dude.

Well, there's a Playstation version.

Go play Mars Matrix.

In what world do you live fag

There's also a tablecloth pulling game.

Is CoinOpStore any good? I want to buy the 3000-1 board from them but I'm kinda skeptical on the quality.

I never said that the games weren't fun but the arcade places were mostly cancer.

Never happening. I do it, but not intentionally.

I don't like pay-to-win, even when it's free, and even when I technically can play the same short game for a month until I get a 1cc.

Just play games with checkpoints, use as many credits as you need and pretend it's a console game. Arcade games in general were not meant to be played with one credit. They were meant to drain your wallet.

Shmups without checkpoints are the worst offenders, of course. You can generally just auto-fire the coin button and the shooting button and let the game beat itself.

Get good

For what you've done to my hobby, sadly the only thing I can do is wish the worst kinds of cancer and disease on you.

Whew, 2 credits. Choked on the final boss.

Here's another link, hosted by the actual devs:
10ghost.net/MAMEHubDownloads/MAMEHub_4.0.zip

Also a setup guide here:
github.com/MisterTea/MAMEHub/wiki/Getting-Started

Hop on and let's play some vidya.

fuck no they were amazing. fighters, beat em ups, side scrollers. the death of arcades is a travesty, now we're stuck with shitty AAA bullshit and normalfags

playing them in the arcades was part of the experience.

>Being a girl but not wanting to follow that retarded "tits or GTFO, lol" rule made by insecure teeny weenie kiddies

Hahaha

Which arcade game is it that uses two mirrors beside the main screen that reflect two other screens from inside the cabinet?

Who wants to BEAT SHIT UP in Ninja Gaiden?

Bravo Nolan.

and that is, according to your "logic", the way it was meant to be played then? just kill yourself retard

oh fuck man sure i got owned haha xD
Go fuck yourself jesus christ

Get in the mamehub lobby, dudes.

I'm having the same issue I was having with the version I compiled from scratch and I don't know what to do about it.

I beat Crimson Clover on Novice 1CC. It's not much, but it's a start right?

Not bad, now try Hellsinker.

Retroarch's MAME emuator now has working netplay.

It's probably not as good as ClientserverMAME/MAMEHub.

Post your top 10 arcade games

You need to install the Java runtime, mate. Openjdk and openjdk-jre should be in your repo.

They use similar networking style. RetroArch's MAME doesn't have the save states to rollback with yet. MAMEHub can turn on rollback mode for everything. I think RetroArch net code is more stable.
RetroArch's MAME core is the most recent one which works better with some games that I couldn't get working well on MAMEHub.

MAMEHub can do rollback with every console it supports where as RetroArch can't because not every core on RetroArch supports save states yet.

Eventually RetroArch will be completely superior overall by my guess.

I've already got that crap installed, I think "libqt4-gui:i386" might be the issue.

I get E: Unable to locate package libqt4-gui:i386 when trying to run installLinuxDeps.sh. I can't find that in a manual browsing of the repository.

I have like 5. Space Harrier, Outrun, Pac-Man, Galaga and Crimson Clover.

Tough question. Maybe:

Galaga
Harder, Faster, More Challenging Q*Bert
R-Type
Darius Gaiden
Metal Slug
Magical Drop II
Kingdom Grandprix
Armed Police Batrider
Dimahoo
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R

I've come to realize that rollbacks are garbage for trying to seriously run through arcade games (e.g., not credit feed) with a friend. It was a nice idea in theory, but unless you detect and correct those desyncs transparently within milliseconds, a desync is still capable of ruining your day. You've just got to prevent desyncs from happening in the first place.

Do mobile games count as arcade games?

Maybe replace Q*Bert with Cabal.

No those are known as "cancer".

Disgusting.

Is Neo Turf Masters really that good? I've tried getting into it before because I love IREM and Nazca and Hiyamuta, but it just seems like another boring golf simulator.

You haven't seen anything until you see R-Type on mobile with "HQ" filtering set by default and fuckhuge high res touch buttons.

R-Type on mobile, while still an abomination, is perhaps a little more understandable since it's a simpler game that's pretty forgiving. Rayforce on the other hand is a brutally punishing shooter that requires precise control. It's hard enough with proper controls, swapping those out for touchscreen inputs is unbelievable.

I'm convinced no copies of this exist anymore.

Yes there's a rom dump & you can emulate it, but it physically hooked up the another cabinet so you could have two player, 2 CRT co-op. It's basically unemulatable if you want to play with 2 people.

It's got simple controls but still lets you pull off technical moves, plays fast, great OST and good course designs. It's not a golf simulator, Its closer to Mario Golf and PangYa than it is to PGA Tour or The Golf Club.
If you don't like golf, you wont like it no matter what.

Ok I'm interested now. What makes this such a good Golf Game? Most seem to say it's the best gold game ever made, but never say why.

>Afterburner Climax

Honorary mention goes to Ninja Assault for getting massive attention at my local arcade when it showed up for some reason, and the Fist of the North Star Punchmania that I only encountered once in my life.

Pretty sure you only need those libraries if you're building it from scratch. "java: command not found" means it's not able to find a java binary in your /usr/bin/ – maybe it has a different name? If so, rename or symlink to whatever your java is. Try running 'java' by itself in your shell and see what it says, too.

I've never had the chance to play many arcade games, so I'll just post the ones I got to play:
Die Hard Arcade
Tekken 5
Metal Slug
Alien vs. Predator
Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring

pretty much what I said here
It's just extremely well polished and takes all the waiting out of golf.

It hurts man, I went to japan a few years back and an arcade was holding a Neo Turf Masters tourney the same day my flight back home was. It had almost 40 entries too.

I'm afraid to visit japan now with all the radiation, & Japanese Flu, & runaway supply trucks. Shit's scary man.

Where did this even happen? All the memories I have of arcades was wandering unlimited games with limited quarters and having cool grandparents.

I don't ever remember even running into another person, let alone interacting with them.

It really feels like the game variety in arcades is almost none now, or I guess I just played them all. Being old is terrible. I hope I get to come back and experience wonder and joy in life again.

Oh, I forgot:

Virtua-On
Ghost Squad
Area 51
SEGA Rally
Manx TT, I guess. All I remember was the huge jump in some desert / canyon level and you could lean the bike with your body.

Would rather fuck Vicar Amelia than that hamplanet erryday tbh

Not that good yet. I could make it to the China level (level 4) on my best play.

Keep at it, bro. You'll get dat 1cc.

So I just found out about a beat 'em up I haven't played yet, Crystal of Kings, it any good?

Chimera Beast, unreleased '93 Jaleco hori shmup, is being strmed now.

twitch.tv/gallopingghostarcade

Fucking hoarders just dump the damn rom

It's been dumped and emulated for years actually. Go play it, it's neat.