Collection Fag

So which category do you fall into anons? And why is it that YouTube "retro" channels are flooded with man children hording faggots? Where do you draw the line? What is your prized item with a good story?

Collectors and scalpers are scum

Is that a Patty Mayonnaise keychain?

Any tips for selling somewhat rare vidya? I don't want to sell to some kid but another collector. Mostly ps/PS2 games like all the .hacks still shrinkwrapped, some collectors editions, smt games, valkyrie profile…

I agree whole heartily. All the games I have collected from childhood I have over a over a 100 hours in. I mostly play PC now though.

Maybe.

I have never really tried to sell any, so no idea.

my prize collection is all the shit i had as a child, still working.

Stay mad, poorfag

Does it irk you to know that I own games I have never played and never will play? And that part of the reason I do it is strictly to get upvotes on reddit? :)

Not even worth quoting

The priziest prizes I have are a couple GameBoys and some games. I will probably never go out of my way to collect any rare memorabilia. The thing I value about video games is the game itself, and since those have been immortalized online in emulators, I don't feel the need to hoard them.

Not really anything really spectacular, but my prized item is my dad's disk copy of UW II that he gave to me, if only for the sentimental/historical value and how much I loved playing both this and the predecessor with him growing up (albeit he was the one actually doing anything significant because I couldn't really understand much of what was going on in the dialogue at the time). Having run both of them through many times, and continuing to do so now, the copy just holds a special place in my heart for the hours spent figuring out how to get it to run on different machines over the years.

No, but I do need to take a shit.

That's awesome man, I have only played Ultima Exodus, and 6.

I never had any of the other installments aside from UW1/2 growing up, so I haven't played anything that was mainline ultima myself, though I'd like to do 4-7 at some point

why so much effort? just google a picture of a bunch of game carts, then post to reddit and say "XD look what my boyfriend's son got me for my birthday!"

Its pretty fun, I love Exodus, all versions of it.

Fuck I hate reddit, if I see a "as a X this…" again I will punch someone.

I just grab the original consoles and the cheaper games, and eventually source a flashcart for the rest. It's nice to have a shelf with some games on it but fuck some of the prices.
So far I have:
And I'm planning on getting a flashcart for the Master System, Mega Drive and N64 so I can play more games. Might pick up a modded PS2 eventually, but I need to look into that some more.

Look for retro vidya fairs or events where they sell retro consoles. You'll get a much better price there. This works because there are so many of them that they have to not cheat you because you can easily go somewhere else.
Also if your country has a CEX, don't bother getting retro game stuff from there unless you want to pay twice as much. I have a friend who bought Sonic 2 MS for £15, and I bought it for £6 in the original case. Go for pawn shops instead, they usually have nice stuff and will be willing to give you a deal if you help them get rid of some stock.

Just remember you aren't obliged to sell your vidya. If they undercut you there's always the option to cancel the deal, and doing that can get them to give you a good deal. Your stuff is rare, there's bound to be someone out there who wants it and will pay fairly.
Don't let them try and devalue your stuff. "Oh, this is the later print of x, it isn't worth as much", or "this insignificant mark means it isn't mint condition" is just a way to get you to lower your price. I've heard of an "official" grading system for retro vidya, but that just means it's manipulated by the more autistic of them so that their stuff is valued higher.
Don't sell them on Craigslist or Ebay. Especially Ebay. If you can, get talking with collectors and bring it up and strike a deal privately.

I started collecting around the age of 14 (that was 10 years ago now) specifically because i was inspired by shows like AVGN and pat the nes punk to try the old games i had missed out on.

I ended up getting a small nes and snes collection. More recently i switched to more modern stuff (ps3 and wii) because the older titles i want like loz alttp, megaman x, dkc etc are like 60-100 dollars or more here.

Anyway the N64 i grew up with is what has the most sentimental value to me, but i think my copy of terranigma might be the most expensive thing in my collection, i got it for really cheap too but its in french…

I have almost every game console released in the US, because I had a completely shitty childhood, and thought that I could be happy if I got all of the things I had been denied. So now I have a mountain of electronics and firearms that collect dust.

With that out of the way, I buy games to preserve them. If I see Atari 5200 games at a Goodwill in Buttfuck, Egypt, I know nobody else will buy them, and they'd likely end up in an a shredder to have the milligrams of metal in them recovered. I have flash carts for NES, TG16, and Genesis/32X/SMS, but I don't really play games anymore. If I could give my collection to my 12 year old self, I would be in heaven, but then if I had this stuff at that time, it would have been stolen from me by my foster parents, and I'd get to spend another weekend in a brick room with no food or water.

In other news, water is wet and gravity is a thing.

I collect hundreds of games for almost every console in folders in my file system under /games
and then a directory for whatever console they are. They'll last forever and I'm saving a lot of money I could put towards things like food, rent, my car lease, and vacation.

Right now I'm in to getting PCE/TG16 games both card and disc.

the only thing i ever collected was pokemon cards as a kid and now theyre covered in dust in my closet
id like to collect something else sooner or later though other than snakes, not sure what yet, not much really interests me anymore

"Collectors" should die a slow and painful death. Especially those who buy like 10 units of the same fucking game.

poorfag

Spending money unwisely is hardly a way to say you have a higher income than he does or that he in impoverished.

Just because you don't use your disposable income in a stupid way doesn't mean you don't have it.

You're talking a richfag here. I'd never waste my income in shit like that when I can get more practical use of it. Especially if a person values money and how much it means to some people, wasting it on such a materialistic and pointless manner would be an insult to those with little income

Also "Look at my collection please give compliment me" is pathetic.

This guy has the right idea. That money can go to actual gameplay improvements like a high end PC or even buying Arcade rythmn game machines. Collecting is pointless and autistic, and should only be acceptable if the collection itself is simply a positive externality of naturally just buying games that you enjoy from devs you support.

I would be surprised if anyone else on Holla Forums Collected Neo Geo carts.

Proud Nintoddler like OP. Most of this is from childhood and the rest I got through local shops and lucky eBay auctions. Conveniently, Mega Man 1-5 were all at one place and stayed there long enough for me to get them over five months. That place wasn't popular and folded soon after. $120 for 6 NES games is really expensive but I can always flip them on eBay for much more if I ever desperately need money.

I've also got an N64 flash cart, which is the worst one to get because the N64 only has two dozen good games. My cousin has had boxed copies of Bangai-O and Ogre Battle 64 (two of the aforementioned good games) in a closet at my aunt's for over a decade, but I never asked about them. There's also a Saturn copy of YU-NO in my aunt's basement under a box of records.

Nowadays I'll only buy something for

Keeping your games in a plastic tub huh?

I never thought about that, I could use my money to buy an arcade cabinet or a crt display down the road instead of wasting it on the media the games come on. But, I can't say I'm interested because my life can improve by me spending as little as possible on video games.

Are you stupid? Dont give me the whole muh original hardware when SNES and Megadrive have been perfectly emulatable for more than a decade. Even if you do want to get a flashcart you don't need two. The Mega Drive can actually play Master System games natively only they didn't make it so the carts could actually fit. If you put the roms Master System roms into a Megadrive flashcart it will work perfectly.

Also
Its expensive as fuck. I've got a cheap chinese knockoff (cheap at least by comparison), get that one. The chinese actually just copied the 2.0 version of the everdrive and sell it cheaper.

Human existence is pointless if you keep boiling it down.
I spend my money on things that make me happy within reason, and that "within reason" varies wildly from person to person.

If you collect to try to get 100% of some numbered thing, just to say you have them all, you're a cancer. I work retail and know a guy who collects hotwheels cars but stores them in big plastic bins in his basement. He doesn't even have shelves or some kind of display. He shows up at Target first thing every fucking morning and goes to the toy car aisle and searches for the ones he's missing so far, then goes home and puts them in indefinite storage where you can't play with them or even look at them.

Why? To sell a "complete set" later? They're never gonna stop making fucking hot wheels. The set will never be complete. It's totally futile and he obviously doesn't do it because he enjoys looking at them, because they're in a fucking box in a basement.

Those POP figures are the absolute fucking worst for this. They're ugly as sin and inferior to literally every other physical toy version of that character. You can't possibly say those downs syndrome faces with beady shark eyes are "cute," unless you're a fucking tasteless moron, because Nendoroids exist. Even the cheaply made, western, plastic action figures are better looking.
But because POPs are numbered, you've got the GOTTA CATCH EM ALL idiots who show up every time a new one is supposed to release, and they somehow magically know your store's inventory numbers even though the staff don't even know if they have it. So they'll harass you until you go search through the back room for it because THEY KNOW IT'S IN THE BUILDING SOMEWHERE.
I think my "tasteless moron" comment is 100% accurate too because the people who buy pops are the most disgusting, fat, worthless sacks of flesh I see on a regular basis. They're all clearly trailer trash, wearing ruined clothing two sizes too small, with greasy stringy gollum hair and meth-mouth rotten teeth. I bet they're all on fucking food stamps and welfare and use their small allocation of non-food funds exclusively on these goddamn stupid vinyl bobbleheads.

FUCK COLLECTORS

Collect things you actually like.
I have a collection of stuff of my waifu. Because I love my waifu and I enjoy looking at her.
You can't possibly like every single character in the POP line or every single hotwheels car, or every single video game from a particular console.

I'm not a hardware elitist, I just want to make use of my old consoles. I'd forgotten about the Mega Drive having backwards compatibility, so I'll go for it's flashcard.
Also what Chinese N64 flashcart did you get?

Only a goddamn retard would collect Neo Geo carts. AES carts are the domain of autistic trust fund retards whose exploits in the fields of fuckassery are legendary, and since the public became aware of consolized MVS systems, MVS cart prices are going through the goddamn roof. If you have a Neo Geo, get pirate carts. Cheaper if you have a consolized MVS, because if you have an AES (the home system), you need an adapter, which costs quite a bit on its own.

I have a few i bought when i was buying some jamma boards. I will have to dig them out. Still looking for stuff after my move.

Same here i still have all of my old games and consoles. Once I get everything on my new shelves I am looking forward to revisiting some of them. Found My gold zelda cart still has my old saves. Could not believe that battery is not dead yet.

SNK wass founded by the yakuza so it only makes sense that the game carts can be used for money laundering. LOL I guess.

Still sage, these threads should not be made in a forum to talk about GAMES not the useless plastic they're printed on.

Is that the Hori slime controller?

To be fair that was one fancy collector's edition. SE tends to go all out with them.

Thankfully, if the battery dies, it's not so difficult to install a CR2032 socket so the game will last another 30 years. Game Boy games are a bit more difficult to restore, due to them not having an aircraft hangar's worth of spare space left in them.

What the fuck are you talking about? The most retarded Neo Geo collectors destroy carts and case insert sleeves to improve the value of their personal collection, instead of simply hoarding and preserving everything like a regular filthy reseller would do. Also, fuck you. Talking about collecting games is intrinsic to a discussion forum for discussing VIDEO GAMES, which are predominantly physical objects.

I need to replace my Dreamcast battery again. It is amazing the CD-i keeps time and date but the Dreamcast and saga saturn burn memory batteries in months.

I completely agree with you as far as trying to collect "all the # items" from a company that doesn't stop producing, but if you get something limited that's actually cool it's worth it.

I would also like to add people who try to collect digital numbered items are the worst of all, especially the ones that hoard all of the items so nobody else can have them.

I seek to balance collection with value and convenience. I always prefer original hardware (and on a good CRT) but I think it's absurd to spend $200 or more on some game, and repros are nice but I don't wish to fill up all that space with imitations. I rely on back up methods, burned discs, HDD loading, flash cartridges, etc. This is the best way to play games to me. Pretty much every system I've got experience with has exceptional compatibility with these methods.

I also do collect peripherals, for example I have the full steel battalion controller, saturn wheel, flight stick, and will be picking up a saturn mouse soon. Several light guns too (these are essential!) I like to have some duplicates for things like light guns, time crisis 3 is only so much fun solo, and your second player will always want a gun.

i sold my "collection" (~60 console games and a bag full of 2000s PC shovelware) so i could use that money to repair a crumbling Depression-era kit house and community college tuition

Only things I keep are Maxis oriented since I was that faggot during childhood. Didn't play baby's first FPS until freshman in high school; but anyway. Anything collectible in flea markets gets scalped, so as an adult; I'm that kind of faggot.

Good, the market is right now is still a seller's one. It's been like this for a few years and you can sell anything japanese at a premium despite prices in japan being very low for everything. Faggot kids are so dumb they don't know how to get it straight from the source, and always want toys so will buy the physical items from you. I venture to think that most of the "collectors" in this thread aren't even 30.

The box wasn't in that good condition either; but since he could just barely read it, and would know that I'm not BSing him over the internet, it was amazing.

Its called a Personal Computer.

Curb our autism. I bought them for close to nothing years ago, & those are just MVS cartridges with shockboxes.

why do you people use deep sea cephalopods as currency, and why can't you fucking spell "squid" right

Wasn't NUDE a developers kit for easy converting a program from one old japanese computer's language to another's? I thought nips used it to convert their games easily for sale on multiple platforms.

Honestly though you should just HDD-mod a PhatS2.

As for your question OP, while I do value a few of my games for the most part I'm a flashcart guy. Really is the best way to go for me.

Nevermid, the guy who founded Rocket and made NUDE used to work at Hudson doing computer game porting as one of his jobs. Interesting tidbit if you didn't know.

So wait. Collecting old games is bad now? Jesus I just collect what I want and play it. I used to have a giant N64 collection before a fire. What's the consensus on this? Collecting old games in general is bad? Or just autisticly doing it so you can say you have a collection is bad? I own a vinyl collection and I listen to albums regularly, who the fuck would get mad at that?

I have what's probably the biggest collection of Asura's Wrath merchandise on the planet aside from maybe the devs.

There's like 16 different fucking artbooks for the game for whatever reason and I've started to collect them. Probably spent over 600$ total on it now. not too impressive compared to some of the super insane shit people do but since I doubt anybody else cares about such a niche title I probably have the largest single collection of it.

I agree with that myself. Certainly no sense in trying to go for a full set on a system, or games you just want to own but have no real interest in actually sitting down and playing. That said, a lot of people here hate scalpers with good reason (aside from anons that do the scalping themselves, I assume), and a lot of people are also really pro-pirate and emulation too (not that that's a bad thing, between scalpers and the average quality of modern releases). I do hope that you're doing your best to not buy games at the ridiculous prices some people ask; sometimes a bit of patience and knowing local places is what it takes to find something at half or less the average cost. In general I'd say picking up games you like or have done the research on and are interested in playing is fine (provided you're doing your best to not justify scalper prices by buying from them); collecting for the sake of collecting (or worse, the scalp yourself) is cancer. Just my thought though.

Why in the hell would there even be that many? Did someone at Capcom keep rooting through the trash for scraps of artwork and they make a new release every time they get enough?

Reminds me of Legendia-user, who had way more copies of the game and its artbook than anyone should remotely want (plus, that game's usually prone to being pretty disliked too, aside from the OST; I'm rather neutral to it myself). The medallion for it he somehow had was pretty neat though.

I don't know, but it's really ridiclious. Off the top of my head there's

And of these, 2 of them I only just found out about while double checking stuff for this list as I was typing the post up. it's fucking insanity. Of these, I have the artbook from the limited edition, the digital perfect works, the official works, the manga adaptions, 6 of the 8 tribute magazines (the last 2 I haven't seen for sale anywhere at all, only out of stock listings), and 2 of the other misc artbooks.

ED64, you can even get it on amazon. Sometimes its cheaper on aliexpress, but I got it cheaper on amazon for some reason.