RTS THREAD

Semi-Newfag to the genre. Is Majesty worth playing? It seems like Dorf Fort since you can't control your units directly.

Other urls found in this thread:

aoczone.net/viewtopic.php?f=838&t=99066&sid=288c6f73d9c3b5da4940b09e406d11e3
thepiratebay.org/torrent/6191936/Command_and_ConquerGenerals_1.8_Zero_Hour_1.04_Definitive_ed#filelistContainer
store.steampowered.com/app/474890/
t3dstudio.ru/files/mw/MarsWarsv36.zip
youtube.com/watch?v=kHy9PjAz4r0
volafile.io/get/G-GhOct86ePH/setup_signal_ops_2.2.0.12.exe
discord.gg/XfgNGUc
springrts.com/
steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=765&browsesort=rated&browsefilter=rated&p=1
forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?222557-German-and-English-speech-file-modification-for-TOV-(New-Steam-Version-compatible)
youtube.com/watch?v=MaF_dkuGLjE
youtube.com/watch?v=G4SpP7VBtA8
youtube.com/watch?v=sWcFBYcuKmw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Dude Majesty is THE SHIT.
It's fun as shit.
But in my opinion it's kinda limited in content and replay value.

feelsgoodman

Should I buyfag it or was there massive jewery going on?

Its over a decade old user, literally wouldn't take more than 9 hours to download
Still from what I've heard its worth buying, but i cant be sure of majesty 2 or gold edition

Is that the new meme? I'm a fucking retard but I'll casually insert DF in my question so everyone's fooled XDD.

Seriously, in what bloody way does it seem like DF?

Are you shitting me OP? Please, I don't think I could handle you being for real and not severely beaten for your faggotry.

At least easy bait is better than that shitty chart, so maybe OPs not completely far gone yet

I guess with spellforce randomly coming back from the dead it was worth asking.

Is Majesty an RTS?

Anyway I really loved the original in my teens I must have beaten it at least 3 times all the way through, I was pretty excited when I discovered that there would be a sequel so I brought it day one and I was let down almost as hard as I was let down by Spore. The Sequel felt as if someone's son was a fan and the dad designed the game based on the way his kid excitedly described it to him on a few occasions, and the dad wasn't paying much attention to his son but the company that made it just considered him the most qualified, I think the only thing they did even remotely right was parties, but I'm sure the heroes in the original would form into parties by themselves, always like 6 daughters following a single warrior for some reason though.

We're never getting a proper sequel or even a cromulent spiritual successor to Majesty in our lifetimes.

Indeed.

Here's hoping.

Short answer is not really. You build guilds and occasionally post bounties but apart from paying the initial recruitment fee your involvement with the fuck "your" heroes are doing ends there. You can pay to cast spells but even that rarely changes their mind There's also rarely a dedicated opponent and missions are either survive, beat the clock, beat a boss or wait until one of your heroes stumbles on something. Later on they're a mix of all four

The "meat" of the game comes from this sandbox-y comfy feeling and the sheer atmosphere. kryptans best girl

Is that a Stronghold HD screenshot?

Was wondering the same.

1st pick is an IRL pick I saw on here somewhere

Majesty is an interesting simulation game.
Certainly worth trying if nothing else.

It's more like a simulation game, but there's battling, tech, base building, sort of troop management, economy management. The main problem is you can't directly control your units, which is pretty fucking integral to RTS gameplay.

I didn't think it was.

>not agrelans because they resurrect when they die and become your highest level non combat units

Who am I kidding the only strat that worked against roaming dragon's was a buttload of Kryptans and a buttload of skeles.

least valuable was lunord They were cool and all but fucking hell I just never felt they were worth having

We're never getting a sequel man, think about how big of a problem that is.

In case I'm remembering this wrong

Agrelan, healers
Krytan, Necromancers
Lunord, speedy guys
Fire ladies
Druids
Stone priests?
Barbarians.

Apparently there was a linux version of Majesty but it disappeared from the internet completely.

There's a sequel it's shit

They're fast, cheap, loyal and their attack speed makes sure they level up in just a fight or two. And the amount of hurt they can deal if you have an alchemy shop is something else.
Now consider how they're tiered with the nigress that almost exclusively sits in the guard tower and is absolute shit if her fireball doesn't connect.

You have four hero groups:
Dwarves vs Elves vs Gnomes.
Clerics, monks and paladins vs necromancers, druids and chaos warriors.
Sun bitches vs moonman disciples.
Barbarians fly solo because broken as fuck on higher levels.

You've also got your "basic" rangers, warriors, rogues and mages.

Now, now, Paracucks made a franchise out of it!

I meant a proper sequel, that's games a joke, it's not even worth mentioning, it was just cheaply cashing in on the nostalgia for the original.

And it worked ;_;
But at least the OG Majesty is now getting some updates on steam.

Like stability updates or content? Man that game could have gone places.

Stability + mod support. Just check it out on steam.

Holy shit that would be awesome.

ayyy, I must have missed the last one dying, wanted to make archives of it again.

haha fucking dead genre dude

There already are some mods out.

Fuck right off.

Dump the drumpf.

Play Emperor: Battle for Dune if you haven't.

i thought it was stupid, and not really much of an rts. but give it a shot, its pretty unique.

your stupid

first day on patrol grammar cop?

Oh shut up, you have shit taste.

oh okay then! no thats fine, i dont come to rts threads expecting anons to know what the hell theyre saying. i mean, they blame blizzard more than EA for stifling the genre and think dawn of war 2 is a real rts.

EA is a shitty company, but it has always been a trend follower. Do you really think they 'stifled' RTS more?

they bought out all kinds of rts studios and took a dump on them

By killing westwood, yeah.

Swimming Crazy Ivans were a mistake
The person who came up with this idea should be shot.

Warcraft 3 was a mistake. The game itself wasn't that bad but there were already imitations of what Blizzard said W3 would be being made before W3 came out (it's a new genre! RPS - Role Playing Strategy, if anyone remembers that shit) and even though Blizzard scaled back the hero element during development and W3 was more or less a proper RTS the damage was already done, very few people cared about the RTS aspect in the long run, it was all about custom maps and heroes.

Majesty is pretty awesome so far. The only thing I dislike is wizards are glass cannons that get oneshotted, even at high levels. I've literally just been spamming rogues because if they get all their gear pimped out and get to a semi-high level, they seem to perform just as well as a fighter would. Although I've only been playing the beginner levels to get a feel for things, so this probably will change.

Syrian warfare is supposed to be released this month

Might be fun

Godfucking damnit.

Well it does seem interesting, but looking at the videos of it I am not entirely convinced. The projectile effects and armored combat rubs me wrong way somehow.

And since it is indieshit I am even more skeptical of it. I'll try it but no way I am going to buy it blindly.

Ok, lets say i have very little experience with RTS games. Lets say that the only RTS i put any real time into is Age of Empires 2.
Which one do you recommend as a good starter RTS? It doesn't matter how old it is, just gimmie something.

Age of Empires 2

So i started with the right game? Ok, can you maybe give me some AoE2 advice?

Red Alert 2, Maybe C&C tiberium wars, generals zero hour, cossacks

this helped me out, i'm not useless the entire game now

Have a plan
Build villagers
Use the boars
Build villagers
Build town halls
Build villagers

Is the majesty thing updated in GoG too?

I'm asking for DRM pirate purposes

DRM free*

Who are these morons and why the fuck did he break the disk ?

inside gaming/funhaus
they have a huge binder of demo disks and break them every time they're done with them
i just have it saved for the moment where the game crashes right after that final clash

Lol no. There are very well established builds order in AOE2. First you figure out what strategy you're going to do, fuedal age archer rush, fuedal age scout rush, fast castle, galley rush, boom, etc. When I play in low-level games on Steam HD version, I notice that people go for fast castles, because when you're noobs it's hard to do enough damage with a flush (fuedal age rush) to offset the advantage they have when they get to castle, and then they will just dominate you with knights. Generally with higher level games there will be an more extended Feudal Age war.

The thing to know before you play multiplayer is that you need to perfect your build orders. You won't get benefit from playing with other people if they have 30% more resources than you and advance age 2 minutes before you. Practice singleplayer until you have all your build orders down to perfection, can keep you scout scouting 100% of the time, have no idle villagers etc.

aoczone.net/viewtopic.php?f=838&t=99066&sid=288c6f73d9c3b5da4940b09e406d11e3

I have majesty but I have not been able to get it to run. I have the GoG version. I have been playing some Stronghold crusaders though, it works fine except for a few errors. But that's windows 7 for you.

fast castle usually works well enough for me
i tend to play slavs, so i need to get to imperial as fast as possible for those infantry bonuses+boyars
in most cases, before going to feudal i get 5 villagers to mine gold, and once i reach feudal i move them to stone and use the gold that i got while evolving to move on to castle after quickly building a blacksmith+market
but yeah, with this order i'm pretty much fucked if anyone decides to attack me during the feudal age. best case scenario i'd be able to defend myself with a bunch of pikemen and skirmishers, but then i won't have enough food to evolve
but things work out well enough for me though, at 1400-1600 people are usually worse than me, so i just end up outfarming them and swarming them with shitty units

Well I got the majesty, lets try this shit

Also, relying on an Imp-age strategy on any map except a boom map like Black Forest is really nooby. You wouldn't even survive in the beginner's lobby in Voobly without a 1700+ stream rating.

but i am a slav

c&c games have best soundtrack out of all the rts games.

Oh come on anons, I know the genre has scene better days, but a lot of good games are out there waiting to be played. Having said that I have been playing some stronghold crusader, and was wondering if anons here had any advice for strategies.

THIS

God, every single C&C game's OST gets my dick ROCK FUCKING HARD.

Yeah but once they get rolling with those bonus spells and shit they take out half the map in a couple of seconds. just provide them with invisibility potions and mausoleums

I discovered if you literally get paladins asap. You just need to spam them to win, at least on the maps in the southern hemisphere (include "advance" and "expert"). I'm not sure how the difficulty scales since "advance" and "expert" can be interchanged.

A chaos warrior is fine too. their resurrect is cheaper too, I if remember correctly

When I used them they got kited hard and died before they could do shit. I didn't know they could resurrect though

Don't know if this is the right place to ask since no one talks about 4x games on the grandstrategy general. Any good mods for Age of Wonders 3? The first two were great especially the second one but the third feels too much like Civilization and that game is shit. Any good mods for this?

Only barbarians can snooze instead of dying but CW can literally shrug off wounds. you get temple spells though They also happen to have one of the biggest HP pools in the game and unlike dwarves actually hit like a freight train. Also that aoe debuff coupled with skeleton/animal fodder is a really cheap and effective way of dealing with some of the boss tier shit.

Paladins are very niche from what I remember. They're frail, lack offensive magic and unlike warriors don't group all that well. A warrior for example may take almost any other class when he decides to hunt, paladins hunt muh evil and often end up raped in the process and CW just mill around looking for asses to rip. Given choice a lunord or monk can tank melee shit much better, a dorf can take hostile spells all day long while building shit and the sun bitch can outdamage her.

The paladins aren't glass cannons for me. I had 1 solo an elf base with 3 spawns and a market. I used the chaos warriors on a level where you just need to hold out against 7 waves and they raped everything.

Have any of you tried making an RTS?

Majesty really makes me want to play spellforce again. For some retarded reason though, after I beat the first campaign the textures fucking broke and I haven't been able to fix it wine

There where a few /agdg/ user's making them. Although, they fell off the grid.

But which C&C game has the best soundtrack? Obviously C&C95/Tiberium Dawn.

Are there any fantasy strategy/rts games like Spellforce and Majesty even if majesty isn't RTS? The only one I can think of is WC3.

Warlords Battlecry (2 or 3)
Lords of Everquest

Warlords Battlecry 3 (somewhat unbalanced)
Heroes of annihilated empires (JUST unbalanced)

What's your favourite race/class?

Lords of Everquest looks like it runs on the spellforce engine Mainly going off menu and fact it's 3d

Just spam skeletons until everything dies.

I dont mind the swarm but Dark Dwarves will always be my favourite
Fey are cancer and anyone who plays them is a shit

Its a shame the makers decided to go into making phone games instead of making WBC4

Age of Mythology and Seven Kingdoms if you want historical fantasy
Battlegrounds if you want weeaboo fantasy with some barbarians Now that I think about it, it's pretty close to a Conan RTS
Armies of Exigo
Warrior Kings: Battle (If you want a story driven campaign play warrior kings, but that one doesn't have a skirmish mode, this does)
Dragonshard
Battle for middle earth series

Huh I literally never heard of it, I'll have to check it out.

I never said they were but I do consider them the shittiest tanks in the game.

Tried Lords of Magic or Kohan? There was also this almost Majesty rip off game but I can't remember how it's called for the life of me. It was a bit more cartooney, you got to build stables and shit and creatures dying unlocked these codex entries.

Did you know how priestesses can potentially dominate any non boss undead?

Hey user I don't care, I'm just glad to have a thread for it. If you have not played age of mythology you need to. It has a huge amount of content, and even the expansion was kind of underwhelming it's still a great game. The cyclops's throwing attack is bretty good.

I remember reading up on it in a magazine after it came out, But in the end I ended up with playing warcraft 3 for the next decade and a half
I still find it hilarious that WC3 killed off armies of exigo

I didn't know that. I am sorry to say that I didn't play the game much. I didn't like the lack of control for it, and sold it later. Wish I still had it, I do have the GoG version though, but I have not got it working right.

I once made a Merchant specifically to see how disgustingly spammable I could make the Fey, only to remember army limits are a thing.
Minotaurs for me, mostly because of having the sheer strongest general and having gnolls. I also don't like any team that doesn't get damage/armour upgrades and xp upgrades.

I feel you user. I was pretty disappointed when I learn that a sequel for Conquest: Frontier Wars had been in the works, but was canceled when the kickstarter failed years ago.

Kind of a shame, they definitely had some interesting ideas in there. Too bad the characters in it were so bland.

Legacy of the void was the most edgemaster, fanfic tier trash exp I ever played. Skirmish is still boring and repetitive with the only fun thing to do is zerg rush the enemy.

Thats where you went wrong user
Kick starter is a place where dreams go to die and only vaporware will be the closest you will get to fulfilling them

so sort of like how most caster heroes loathe teams that dont get that mana regen upgrade?

Yeah.
Also I run assassin a lot with nothing but points in assassinate.

I only learned this years after the fact. Still a disappointment though.

God damn assassins can be fun, whether they're the hero or not
Reminds me of when i had my hero cast telepathy on a group of assassins (i'm pretty sure i was dark elves at the time) and ended up with an assassin that could one shot everything after swarming their champion

You made my ironman characters quiver with fear

Try Star Control 2?

I played undead a lot, gotta love the
I AM INVINCIBLE

Also enjoy barbarians, especially with chief hero, all your unit star with a lot of XP.

It's really pitiful that the only developer that makes RTS's anymore is Petroglyph Games. Who make the blandest RTS I've ever seen. Their only game that I enjoyed was Universe at War, everything else just looks like it would drain my soul.

i tried, but i couldn't for the life of me be satisfied with how my pathfinding worked
if i used navmesh, the units wouldn't try to avoid each other and it would become a clusterfuck, and more importantly, with navmesh i can't dynamically change the map, which is pretty important for an rts
i tried grid based pathfinding with A*, and later JPS, but then there was always something wrong with it like units getting stuck, or checking the entire map in order to move a few blocks away

Don't worry user, traitors don't have souls.

Kingdoms under fire

Not all kickstarter project were fails, look at xenonats for eg

Didn't play Star Wars Empire At War, lack of interest in the franchise.

If it where me I'd just make a bitmap tbh. Have an array of bytes 1/8th the size of the map, and then each bit in a byte is a space the units can walk in. If you want to change whether or not a unit can walk in a specific bit you just toggle the bit.

i have no idea how to implement that using unit's navmesh. as far as i understand, i'm just telling it where to go, not how to get there
as for the other methods i did, they basically work the way you described except that i'm using an array of nodes instead of a bitmap, but there were bugs with the pathfinding itself that i just didn't feel like fixing
vid 1 - using navmesh, units get clumped up together and don't try to find a way around their target
vid 2 - units check the entire map because their target is surrounded. i'm supposed to fix that via multithreading but i have no idea how to implement that

Seems like a lot of wasted effort to go about it like that. I'm pretty sure there's a standard way to deal with these things, considering how important path finding is.

i'll probably get back to it eventually, too busy to gamedev right now
but if i do, i'll probably remake it from scratch, by the end i prioritized other shit instead of the pathfinding, hence why i ended up giving up on it

It was shit when it worked, with airspam and chinese barrackspam dominating everything else. Why not play RA2 instead? At least that was fun to play, and it gets better nowadays since it has mods like MO.

Your JPS .webm makes me think of Red Alert 2's pathfinding fam

Rise of the Reds Multiplayer when lads?

I'd be down for it.

also rib in pices

Oh man, I just love generals. Simple to learn hard to master. Doesn't need korean level micro. Good balance between factions and units. Zero hour made it even better. Tank and nuke general was my go to guys. Superweapon general was pain in the ass if it decided to turtle like motherfucker. One of my friends did and it took forever to nib out his defences. We made gentlemans rule on that nobody wont pick the stealth general becouse it's no fun to go sweep the area with your radar units. Good times. I would like to test the latest version of Rise of The Reds mod with my friends but we haven't got the initial spark to play generals again.

I am gay. Accept me………

How many more RTS threads can there be? Shit's been discussed to death and there are no new RTS' out.

That said, is Cossacks 3 any better than it was on launch? I pirated it but it was boring.

It's not like there's a gigantic wealth of old games in the genre from a golden age

Wouldn't have found out about No Man's Land if it wasn't for this thread. It's not a bad game plus using cowboys to wipe out Indians never gets old.

Meh, I guess because there's no new games to look forward to all thats left is to post old stuff.

A good RTS will come out, right guys ? I can then revive the group, right ?

I thought Cossacks 3 would revive it, sadly I hear it was pretty bad.

Truly we need to just like, make game :^)

gsg too.

There are so many ideas waiting to be explored that still haven't been touched. Here's one for free; predesigned squads. Using SC2 as an easy example;

More advanced unit controls are a fucking mandatory part of RTS. Nothing should have less options that SupCom: FA.

Shag the fag (You)

GOG's having a pretty good sale with Zeus, Cleopatra, and the couple of Caesar games on sale. Anyone recommend them? I've never played them, but I've always had my eye on them. Would the last Caesar be a good place to ease into, since I'm assuming it's the easiest of those games?

I realize they're not RTS, but I'd rather not shit up the catalog specifically asking for a couple of games

Simulation games are a close cousin of RTS. I'm sure nobody minds.

try Rimworld

it's more of a city builder though. i can't really call a game with 4-16 units an rts

Anyone here seeking for someone to play Sins of a Solar Empire with?

I WANT LARGE SCALE BATTLES THAT'S WHAT WARHAMMER IS SUPPOSED TO BE AAAAAAAAAAAAAH I DON'T WANT MORE COH CLONES FOR FUCK SAKE

HOW DO YOU GO BACKWARDS FROM THE WINTER ASSAULT? THAT GAME WAS RELEASED 10 FUCKING YEARS AGO

Fuck man, I'd love to revive it right now.

those were good times fam

My biggest gripe with the game is: why did they make Macha SO, so, so UGLY?

Wow I never knew I wanted that, I don't even like westerns!

Here's a suggestion, what if…
Instead of Steam group nobody bothers with, we were to create a Discord instead?
Think about it - Steam groups are really unpopular for socialisation and thus have very low activity, right?
I'd even volunteer to create it myself but who on Holla Forums would want a Discord group run by a furfag?

Is this a JoJo reference?

If you get a few more people I'd be down.

It would be kind of shit to just have two people.

I have a bunch of RTS autist friends but that still wouldn't be enough I imagine.

Remenber Sins of a Solar Empire, that had Capital Ships with their own pop cap and the rest of the ships were used to assist them?
What if someone was to implement a system like that for squads?

What if you had a Commander Cap that gave you the number of squads you can have, a cap you can expand with HQ-like buildings and different commanders take different amount of points but also have specific mechanics or bonus that apply to every troop under his command?
For instance, you could have a Marine Commander that can have a squad with 100 troops and gives +1 attack to every unit under his command, costing 3 command points, but also a Ghost Commander that can only have a squad of 20 troops but gives +5 range to all of his units, can toggle stealth for the entire squad and only costs 1 command point.

What if you had a menu where you personalize a squad with what troops you want there and whenever it's commander is stationed near a base, any production building nearby will try to refill it based on what you programmed?

What if, and this is actuallly so basic I have no idea why it's not the standard, when you select multiple troops, the action panel shows every button for every skill all units selected have? Clicking on a skill that gives a bonus will apply to any unit as soon as they attack or are attacked by anyone while using a skill that needs targetting will let you choose the target first and then will pick the unit closest to the target to have it perform the cast.
You could even have every unit having an inventory and selecting multiple units shows you the combined inventory of them all so you can have bombs spread among your troops to use in combat.

I've never really seen any strategy game for that matter take advantage of things like terrain and the environment. Only Warcraft really had a fledged out maps with like plants and animals and stuff.

Tactical options like either going through a swamp which would impede movement, but hide troops or going around through the plains that have little cover but units move normally

archers do more/less damage depending on terrain elevation/cliffs in age of empires 2. not sure if it slowed down movement though

Yeah I mean I've seen that, but I've never seen something really involved. Like dynamic weather from Tiberian Sun

I love how the rome total war screenshot is visibly worse than rome 2. Also don't get total warhammer, the medieval 2 mod has more content, and is free.

They had one job, how can you fuck up elves so badly?

How is Rome Total War worse than Rome 2?

Rome 2 looks like complete shit and runs like ass.

Sorry I meant the other way around

Ah, nevermind then. I thought I found a genuine brown filter enthusiast.

Also yeah, the Medieval 2 mod is legit. I remember it crashing a lot last time I played it though, isn't it made by Russians as well?

I don't remember who made it. The only mods I usually played for it was hyrule, and lord of the rings. Although you have to be careful as setting the battles to even hard results in hilariously imbalanced units in LotR.

So, how about that Discord RTS group?

Me too
But i actually gotta download it firts together with generals

Anyone up for mental omega match?

why not use mumble

Yeah sure. I think I might need to download the newest version though

Awesome, ill wait

What kind of match?
is it time to humiliate myself on fortress again?

Okay I'm all ready what's your name in the lobby

I don't know, Discord is as good for text chat as it is for voice, plus it's simple as fuck. Unless you have a major preference for FOSS, which is totally understandable.

whatever you want to do then man just set it up with what most people want to do

Sorry was taking a nap

Look for a BigGuy game
Password will be cia

I Don't see it

now

Majesty fuck yes!

Don't forget available Paladins or Chaos Warriors depending on the guild choice.

Red Alert 2 and Generals are to this day the best C&Cs by any respectable metric

Why can't RTS games go back to being 2D? Am I the only one that thinks the downfall started with the transition to 3D?

What's up with C&C Generals on Windows 7? Does it work? I'm reading a lot of comments on torrent tracker it has some problem and it's a pain to get it working, especially Zero hour.

Works fine for me, even with Contra, Shockwave and Rise of Reds installed.

Did you have to mess with it to get it working or did it work out of the box?

Yeah, this was the torrent I used.
thepiratebay.org/torrent/6191936/Command_and_ConquerGenerals_1.8_Zero_Hour_1.04_Definitive_ed#filelistContainer

I think it installs an old version of shockwave as well. You can just uninstall that and install a newer version.

Thank you very much user!

This was useful since I'm sans optical drive

File is in Spanish I think? But just choose a destination to unpack it and wait. Fixes up the cracks and CD keys as well.

Base swapping is always fun. I was in a 2v2 with a useless teammate in Act of Aggression once. My teammate proceeded to get stomped on, and I was about to get stomped, so I just packed up, abandoned my base as it was being attacked, went across the map, and captured one of the enemy's bases. Completely swapped factions midgame there and ended up winning 1v2 like that.

Has anyone here played the Aryn campaign in Spellforce? Does it stop being shit after a while? They're starting to give me pre-made bases so it's not looking good. The only reason I'm still bothering with this garbage is because I had a ton of fun in the main campaign.

Also going white mage this campaign was a gigantic fucking mistake
>STILL CANT BUILD FUCKING TOWERS
STILL A PREMADE BASE

cnc 3 was great

downfall was esports

So I found this while browsing today
store.steampowered.com/app/474890/

First time seeing it, is it good? While I like the premise of building stuff on it's own, judging by environments, units and trailer it seems devs played it safe and didn't make physics and other features extra fun to avoid cheesing and imbalance.

No, esports are okay on their own, it's just how everyone got convinced that they are the only way to keep an RTS popular and successful that led to their downfall.

Hilarious that's what 8-bit Armies is doing right now, after success of 8-bit Invasion they decided to create competitive multiplayer versions, one F2P that has you limited by single faction with daily rotation and shit, another purely singleplayer but with all six factions. Considering hum, uh, "accessible" (read: primitive) the game is, I guess it may invite some newbies into multiplayer RTS play, but if I was them I'd rather create modding tools for custom factions or something.

Dubs confirms name

Hillary Clinton

Put on your Sun blue Dress

Your Kekesty

That being said sounds like fun being able top autistically make your own units, reminds me of a game i played when i was a kid, cant remember what it was called, lego something maybe?

good single player and easy to use modding tools are what makes or breaks RTS games
for some reason devs haven't caught on

There seems to be a new version of marswars out, released just yesterday.
t3dstudio.ru/files/mw/MarsWarsv36.zip
New changes seem to be simply adding a screen scroll slider, a mouse switcher for orders (if you issue orders with rightclick or deselect units with it instead of leftclick) and some misc balance changes.

Marswars?

It's a doom RTS, it's really simple and seems to still be in development stages since it doesn't have a resource system other than power generation and fights revolve around who has the biggest blob.
Features up to 4 player multiplayer, a 100 unit limit per player and a really shitty campaign that hasn't been worked on since 2015. It's fun to play every once in a while though.

Wht are you talking about, Majesty 2 was decent as far as sequels go. hurts just a little And quit bitching, you got Warlock out of the deal.

Same. Now I am not a pro war person, I think countries should get along without killing each other, but when I listen to that shit I get in freaking war mood.

alright, explain this to me
why is there no rts that focuses heavily both on the RTS and city builder elements
all rts games usually just have you put a building wherever, no roads, no health/infrastructure quality checking
meanwhile city simulators don't even do RTS elements, and if they do, they do them poorly
what we need is a city civ with good rts elements

Dragonshard

sadly no carrying over RTS elements like Spellforce or Warlords Battlecry, but its got a nice visual theme and interresting factions.
I will never stop to shill this game but nobody ever cares.

Also: Armies of Exigo, its a Starcraft clone but with RPG elements and also very cool factions.

Holy crap im not the only one. Man that game looked weird, played weird but was kinda great all the same.

It feels different, the unit models are about the same quality but the enviroments dont look as good as spellforce, the UI is customizeable which was not a thing back then which is a plus, but yeah its much more a WC3 style RTS than Spellforce was, tho all your units would level up and you could convert normal line units into Hero units if they had levleed up enaugh.

Also the game had cool gimmicks like Cavalry beeing able to lose their mounts and becoming footmen and HUGE bosses that spawend on some maps.

Came out before Warcraft 3? Wew lads, because that game looked way better. I guess they realy understood how to fake good looking stuff, very low poly models and the trees were 2D but all in all it looked very good, especialy the top notch rendered 3D portraits.

Theres a new Spellforce game coming out but i dont know if its any good.

Either way i am starved for a good RTS/RPG game with a peresistant Character, balance is fine and all, but building a Character in Spellforce 1 was great and i want more of that.

Someone actually recommended that earlier, so I might bump it up the list I'm making of fantasy RTS' to hceck out. Warlords is at the top atm.

I know that feel bro (pic related)

never heard of it, whats it about?

Isn't it some tactical shooter where you control multiple characters in first person?

KGB simulator

Essentially you're a dude in a bunker giving orders to a squad to do missions like. Planting evidence in peoples houses, bombing the military and framing the rebels for it, etc. You pick your squad for each mission (although it's pretty limited at first) and each of them have quirks like in TF2. Demo can turn weapons into bombs to set traps and blow open doors, wrench can pick and relock doors.

It's really micro-intensive though since you control them all from first person. You can even shift-queue shit, so it kinda fits this thread. They basically did everything imaginable to make this possible, like if you hold the squad members key down you can left or right click issue commands without having to actually switch to that one, depending on what you're looking at. So clicking on nothing and right clicking has them aim in that direction and shoot anyone who walks in their line of sight, left click and they walk there.

It's hard as fuck though. You can't just run and gun, because most levels have a way to spawn in more guards (you can usually shut these down though). However it's really forgiving. You get 11 respawns for your units and they can tank a bunch.

Yea

*So right clicking on nothing has them aim in that direction

2D is harder to make than generic looking 3D. That's really it.

I highly doubt that. You could easily make a ton of 2d sprites the way Doom did, except with 3d models. Thats how a lot of old sprites where made to.
Boom sprites
You don't even need to do animations or rigging or anything.

The only hard part is that you need actual talent for the art design.

No, it's more that you can make characters stand out a lot more with 3D, even with a generic style.
Pixels are pixels, they have no depth to them and trying to give detail to a sprite with 32x32 pixels is quite hard, not to mention the animations.
With 3D, you can make units that are very, very different from each other and have neat animations that accuractly convey what they are doing.
Plus, you get depth which looks pretty good.

But I can see how that'd piss someone that plays strictly for the gameplay, 3D is just eye candy afterall.

Absolutely Majestic user.

That's some damn quality.

It wasn't even 3d models but claymation figurines being photographed by adrian carmack's camera and then palletized in their computers is what made the doom monster cast, really simple work done in 5-6 mins with playdough.

The other advantage of claymation? More realistic figures and motion.

That's why I said except with 3d models.

can't really call 4-16 units a city either.

But it really does fill the RTS and city builder itch that has long been left unscratched.

Battle.net or ICCup, which is more occupied?

Just want to update. All the rapefugees died and the game improved significantly when I finally got to the dwarves.

Can someone explain to my why an RTS with base building would ever give you a premade base? It's fucking retarded

Quads confirm Rapefugees are garbage and Dwarves are the shit.

A premade base is meant to kickstart you into the mission, typically on the first mission to give you basic defences, or later on when base building would be a waste of time because you know the basics.

To help you jumpstart your economy and unit production

It doesn't fit spellforce at all. It makes it feel like they cut out part of the game.

Is there any RTS with unit quotes as memorable as in C&C?

Emperor: Battle for Dune
especially the Devastator
youtube.com/watch?v=kHy9PjAz4r0

>It actually looks unironically good
What the actual fuck is this? What is it hiding that will make it awful?
Skip to 30 seconds in to avoid bullshit at start

Nevermind found out what was wrong with it
Windows 10 exclusive
Into the trash it goes

Original War, may be even more since it's RTS and RPG mix.

Dude that sounds awful

Any RTS that allow you to use defeated enemies as workers/hostages/slaves/etc.? Gets kinda boring having to mow down hapless units once an enemy resigns.

I don't know of any games with instant conversions.

Best I can think of is Spellforce. Play necromancer, kill everyone, use raise dead, skeleton army. One time I destroyed a bunch of extra units I didn't want, and thought to see if they could be raised, and i got 20 skele's.

Is pic related even alive? Where can I find a living community for it? I prefer Supreme Commander FAF but TA:Escalation looks fantastic too.

American Conquest and Cossacks

nice

You don't meet the Androsynth in Star Control 2… what game is that?

There's constant lobbies on Gameranger for TA:ESC and good 'ol standard TA. Not sure if there's any other place to play it asides from that.

Nobody wants to remember that Massive was turned into a Ubisoft PC port sweatshop

HALF SIM CITY
HALF RISK

Does such a game exist?

High on shrooms I guess.
just Shaolin type monks

Also warriors, rogues, rangers and wizards. Standard fantasy fare. Non-human allied races: dwarves, elves and gnomes.

I shall treasure the memories of their past glory prior to Ubisoft turning them into a DLC assembly line.

gibe magnet link pl0x

I think Emperor: Battle for Dune may be the high water mark for RTS. What a cast, what a game. I still think about playing that. Meta campaigns haven't progressed beyond the one in E: BfD and there have never been better cut scenes.

F

TW:W is great, do you have a toaster or something? It is the best TW game since Med2.

But I'll bite. how do they handle the undead and corruption?

Yeah no, that's bollocks.

So Holla Forums, which game was better Dungeon Keeper 3?

Bannon did nothing wrong

War for the Overlord, but that's not necessarily a good thing.

WftO was the closest you had to previous DK games, very similar gameplay and resources, quite a bit of complexity there and all the usual trappings. It's the better game between those two as far as I'm concerned.

However, Dungeons 2 did what DK3 promised to have and WftO did not include: an actual Overworld. Which is ironic considering it's name.
The ability to pick your minions and send them top-side for raids and to progress the story of the game is pretty great and a component that DK games really miss. It really adds to the game having fights that don't happen in your turf or under your terms. Plus, it feels like you're actually evil, not just defending yourself from dickish heroes.

Problem with Dungeons 2 was the economy that was quite fucked and slow. Your source of gold is exclusively mining which runs in competition with sustaining the needs of your minions and lugging stuff around, not to mention how slow it actually is.
There's a constant influx of heroes in every map and yet it serves no purpose because they don't drop gold. What could be a steady source of gold for when you dig every spot ends up just being an interruption from your dungeon building.

Plus, this also means that there's a limited amount of gold and if you take too long to unlock the option to revive minions, you may end up spending a lot of it re-recruitin and retraining several minions.

Dungeons 2 has a few good ideas, but it's too simple and too screwed with the economy. Just wish that WftO or a similar game did the same idea instead.

Was getting nuked part of his plan?

So does anyone even remember this fucking thing? I saw one user mention it in this thread and I was considering making a Fizzled Potential thread with this as the OP but I feel this might be better.

What the fuck happened to this game? It was supposed to be this huge thing that as was said bring back RTS, it had a nice design for units with shiny iHuman tech, Space Dinos, and the blobbies but I heard that it had a serious balance issue and maybe some middling reviews about the campaign, that one I don't particularly care for since I usually like these for multiplayer with my friends, but to further the mess the devs seem to have been quiet as the grave since they dropped out some DLC campaign which introduces some new faction that no one even seems to care about
Can someone who has played this explain it a little bit to those who were interested, or anyone more well known with

Basically, the game wasn't patched for a long time, major exploits exsisted for longer than they should have, and then when they did start patching the game, they did it so often that the meta never got time to settle and everyone just moved on.

I'm way oversimplifying of course. I loved the game, and I loved the new faction, but dead playerbase (sub 50 during peak hours) and total radio silence from the devs makes it not even worth pursuing.

So they let all their hype evaporate on them? Well, that's a shame but what about the quality of the game itself? You said that they patched out the major exploits, is it fairly balanced between the three (four?) factions? I'm curious because I remember some webms showing how rushing mother blob to enemy base really did work the majority of the time it happened

The mother blob rush is one of those "git gud" moments. You can kite it fairly easily so long as you build appropriately for facing goo players. Its an all in strategy, like six pooling in SC2.
As far as balance goes, I haven't found anything majorly broken, but then again I can only really play with friends, and I'm not usually minmaxing to crush them at 100%

It was very heavy in terms of requirements. As gameplay it was really slow. Few maps, map editor very heavy.
As much as people claim they want slow games this one was unplesantly slow.

Nah had a friend who rushed mother goo in 6 games and lost every single one.
The op thing at one point was walls with guardians. Walls had really high armor and were cheap, guardians had an upgrade for incredible range and aoe heavy projectile. People would wall you off and kill your army before you even reached the wall. That got nerfed eventually but was horrid at one point.

I demand link too, atleast upload it to the vola

in 0 a.d. you conquer buildings instead of destroying them. the enemy has the option to destroy them himself before you conquer them, but then he won't be able to retake them later

Think I found a gog copy of it. Let me download it and check it.

user rts irc room when

Has anyone played Act Of Aggression? It a weird mixture of realistic setting and graphics, but cartoony gameplay.

For example one mission you start with CIA agents in armored SUVs rushing to the US embassy in London, pretty realistic and a nice change of pace for an RTS. But the next mission you end up spamming mechs, and the animations and models are something out of The Sims or Evil Genius.

Later games they went on to make were way more historically accurate and appropriately balanced

That's Act of War: Direct Action

Act of Aggression was the shitty sequel

No chance of this being biased nostalgiagoggles

Right then, care to point out the game's flaws?

When you make it. I'd love to play some MO or TA with some anons but noone has organized anything despite talking alot about it.

Here ya go, should last a few days.
volafile.io/get/G-GhOct86ePH/setup_signal_ops_2.2.0.12.exe

Thanks user

Are Pikmin and Battalion Wars games considered RTT or RTS? Also, Battalion Wars 3 never ever. If only Jewtendo gave Pikmin online multiplayer.

Was that the original or HD version like from Steam? Pic related here:

Warscape is the graphics engine, the the engine that runs the mechanics. Total WaWa's combat brought back unit collisions and ditched matched combat animations.

*not the engine

I dont think that there is market for RTS now, and recent rts games prove it, they get 150.000 copies sold at best, any try at creating something with large budget will fail, rts should accept its place as a niche genere tbh

It actually has paid off before weirdly. Mainly cause it forces the devs to actually make the game simply yet actually offer some complexity they accidentally end up being innovative for a change

Are there any RTS games out there that are something Horde series?

I want the unholy bastard child of these two.

I'm starting one. I got two normalfag friends who'll join and they play Supreme Commander and CoH from time to time.

discord.gg/XfgNGUc

Ridiculous. Age of empires 2 HD has 4 million copies sold. They just think they'll make more money with a MOBA because dota 2 has a million daily players

2 anons joined. Don't let your next opponent/teammate be an AI.

Not for long.

It's free to play, one of the "successful" "esports" and has cred as being "hardcore" compared to the rest of the genre and is made by Valve.
How long did TF2 survive just because of free to play?

Hegemony series, you can capture defeated enemy soldiers and workers as slaves to work for you, or to carry food for your soldiers. Enemy units can liberate them.

In TA, once you got to T2, any unit killed but its wreck not destroyed could be resurrected back into your side by 'rector' bots avaible for both factions, including enemy buildings or factories. Hilarious stuff also ensued with ARMs T2 spider tanks as they could immobilize any unit while your Commander could capture them intact.

Here's a few RTS's Ive played that can still be found for download or on gog or hell even steam.

First one is 7th Legion. Take warhammer 40k, remove the aliens and magic and shit and make it about Rich people vs Poor people and add raptors. It is very very very 90's. It takes the basic rts formula and removes harvesters and resource nodes. Yup no resource gathering in this one, but you still need money to make/get shit. How? Gotta kill enemy units and buildings. That increases your "rank" and you get a payment every now and then.
Another thing about this game that I have not seen in any other rts is a card system. You get a random hand of cards at the beginning of each map. Cards have effects based on what card it is. The effects range from small unit buff to killing everything your opponent has, thus an auto-win.

Second is Outpost 2. Don't bother with the first one; its kind of its own thing. Outpost 2 goes a bit more indepth with the standard rts formula and adds things like populace well being, natural disasters, etc. So its kinda 4x-ish. Funny enough all your units are tanks, no matter what its function is.

Third is Kohan. Its a typical fantasy rts, except you have squads of units rather than individual units. Good enough to warrant a sequel. Too bad I don't remember more about this one.

Lastly there is Spring. Which is the closest thing there is to Total Annihilation 2. Its actually its own engine with a bunch of other rts games they made. Most popular being TA. They also made a Gundam rts and some Tron-like rts. Haven't played it since 2010-2011 So its quality these days is completely unknown to me.
springrts.com/

Former assfaggot here Pic is kinda unreliable because the analytical data doesn't go as far back as when TF2 was first released, but I already made it so I'm throwing it up anyways. Dota 2's grows so steadily because it was in beta for ages, and they kept adding players over time until they finally released it. All it really shows is dota hit its peak. There was a major update during new years and it didn't even result in a player spike

Dota will always survive like TF2, but that doesn't mean it will be fucking huge like it is now. Valve has been watering down the game for years now, and they finally released the patch that broke the game. Like any game with a fanbase who only gets out of bed to play the game, when you do shit like this the only way left is down. Most people who play Dota hate the game and want to quit, but they still play it because it's crack. The match-making itself is a slot machine based on what random group of people you get, what random ass hero matchups you get, and how you're going to have to play the game.

Everyone on here really over-estimates how much dota players want to be hardcore or care about elo. I mean sure, you'll get get the odd cringy fuck who takes the game way too seriously, but 90% of the players who want higher Elo want it because they think they'll get better players in their lobby and can play the game properly without risking slot machine wasting 50 minutes because 1-3 people on your team don't even know how to play the game. Some even straight up buy an account with high-elo because they think it'll make their games better. This creates a cycle where shit players play with shittier players, and good players play with shit players who buy their account. This isn't even talking about the residents of burrito-land who are rated way higher than they should be because everyone there is retarded.

Like I said earlier, most people who play this game fucking hate it but are addicted and know it. Once you've learned 70% of the mechanics there's a pretty high chance you don't even want to play the game anymore. The only reason you do is because all other games feel bland as in comparison. For me it was because you could do so much theory crafting with all the skills and abilities, as well as heroes like Chen where you had to micro-managed 5 creeps and their abilities, but I wouldn't doubt for most people it's because of the slot-machining shit.

Now Valve has dropped a gigantic turd of a patch that basically gutted most of the game. It's a running theme now that it's the league of legends patch, and any sense of "hardcore-ness" in the community is gone. A lot of the pro players don't even want to play this shit anymore, but do because it's how they make money. The only way is down.

Kohan is comfy, making your own squads is super fun. The sequel made cities better additional buildings aren't just pictures on the city UI but appear on the map and there's race + faction not all are compatible system instead of just factions. The single player was dumbed down to good vs evil tho.

Shit that was Kohan 1. Didn't recognise the UI. Spent countless hours in 2 that came on a demo disk. Taking over the towers to add new units to squads, if you manage to take over a settlement as you you can recruit squads of that faction as well. Undead are a pain though since they can supply in anywhere which makes hunting them down hard.

Timegate suffered though, they released Section 8 which was a battlefield clone but I had some fun with. But then they worked on Colonial Maries and when that flopped someone had to take the fall. Too bad Gearbox drew the longer straw.

*Marines.

Undead were super easy to cheese in 2, I always make tons of squads with crossbow skellies and liches and the fact that they are immune to morale makes it ridiculously OP.

Fuck me and my tense inconsistency

I joined but there's no one online and the last post on it was made at 1am, eurozone room?

Woah, woah, hold up there, nigger. You're telling me that not only Sierra made a sequel to Outpost, they made it an RTS? This has to be played to be believed.

Shit, I thought Outpost was one of the kind and there wouldn't be any more.

Paladins are good against anything that isn't dragons, earth elementals, beholders or these evil treants. With those you have to keep an eye on them and heal your paladin with a spell from time to time. Or you can evacuate them to the warriors guild with the mobilize command if the fight is hopeless from the start.

Rush to the castle age, focus mostly on economic techs, build castles to dig your position in, then start working on your military.

Skirmishers for spam, then towers to dig in. Skirmishers are a great spam unit, and frankly they're almost overpowered in ratio to how cheap they are

basically this>>11890799 and this

You also had the problem that RTS in general is not very welcoming or forgiving for new players which scares off casuals and newbies.

I think there is a pride issue involved as well because it's like losing a game of chess for some people.

Bump

Today was a good day.

Any anons here seen this game that combines Stronghold and Age of Empires 2

Its from Steam Green Light

Link: steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=765&browsesort=rated&browsefilter=rated&p=1

What Game user?

Blitzkrieg mod, same as always.

I gotta try this out.

Shit, one thing before the thread disappears. That installer uses the same set of CD keys for each install, so if you want to use Rise of Reds or play LAN you're gonna need to go into the registry and change them. You're okay if you're playing single player though.

Although any German Unit that was voiced by Kai Wulff is better than most units in the game.

To bad we only got like 3 voice actors from CoH back for 2

Here a link if you/other people need it
forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?222557-German-and-English-speech-file-modification-for-TOV-(New-Steam-Version-compatible)

who were those guys user? I don't remember relic rehiring any of them back in COH 2. I miss Gideon Emery VA along with (Forgot the names who voiced the Infantry section and Royal Scots Engineers)

I mean german voice actors
While I dont know their names I remember that the guy who the the Wehrmacht Pio´s came back to do the Leutnant retinue for the Wehr and one of the USF high ranking guys (I think it was the captain), the guy who did the MG-42 crew was reduced to random USF weapon crew chatter and the guy who did the PE SturmGrens came back to do the Obersoldaten

I did not know this.

They are almost like a staple for relic games
youtube.com/watch?v=MaF_dkuGLjE

These are great.

youtube.com/watch?v=G4SpP7VBtA8
youtube.com/watch?v=sWcFBYcuKmw

"STuG fucker." I'm using that anytime I go American.

Doesn't Warcraft have this, too? I thought this was pretty common.

Yeah but it's the first time I heard it in CoH.

reminder that Ruse was better than Wargame

There was this weird RTS I had about a decade ago where the camera focus was stuck on the unit, no overhead or minimap and the only way to view the battle field was from unit to unit. Needless to say it was a pretty bad game.

Stormrise?

was that the one where it was humans vs mutants?

End war?

Yeah, that's the bitch. Stormrise.

bump

Bump limit man. Start a new thread if you want.