NIOH anticipation thread

Comes out in five days

Did you play the demo?
Will it be the Demon Souls sequel we never got?
Will we be able to dress not-Geralt up?
Will it be good

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/tjQsi
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adams_(sailor)
files.catbox.moe/9f5xb1.mp4
youtube.com/watch?v=3eRxPDLYM9Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes. Both times it was out.
No, and that's a good thing.
Yes, there was plenty of different armor you could wear during the demo.
The demo was so it probably will be.

no
no
probably
who knows

I can't wait to get played like a damn fiddle by Toranaga-Sama

Yep, all three.

What did he mean by this?

Yes, and there'll also be hair customisation options in the final game, I believe. The last chance demo had an option for hair styles that you couldn't select.

Probably.

I've seen some anons in previous threads say that the game has gotten less difficult through each demo, is this true or is it simply an exaggeration?

Didn't play the beta but between Alpha and Last Chance Trial, there was a noticeable difference. I felt like I was doing a lot more progress with much less need to level up (cleared the area at Lv13 while in the Alpha, I went up to Lv23 for the first area). Earning points with proficiency and enemies dropping much less stuff helped.
You can still get destroyed by the most basic of peons but they won't chase you to the ends of the Earth now and it seems easier to pick them off 1 by 1. That said, I think the difficulty feels rather unbalanced now - a smooth sail for the most part but a few key enemies are much harder than anything else the game throws at you (namely the Karasu Tengu). Then there's the bosses - Ogress was tough but after enough attempts, you can git gud and make short work of her but Muneshige is a bullshitfest through and through.

Also important to point out that large weapons and heavy gear got a significant buff so it seems like a Body/Strength build will be the most reliable. Ninjutsu is also very useful and some predict the PvP meta will be focused on that. Onmyo magic is godawful and only worth having for elemental buffs.

All of em.
The DeS spiritual successor was Bloodborne, you fucking idiot.
This game is fundamentally different in a number of aspects, if you play it like a souls game you'll get murdered.
Yes you fucking faggot, there's literally an option to change the visuals of each piece of gear you have.
Yes but just like the demo it'll have horrible, boring bosses.

The lifeseal talisman (ki regen debuff) turned Muneshige into a total pushover.

Only the Last Chance trial, missed the first ywo cause I assumed it was Musou trash.
Never played, wouldn't know.
Yup.
Yeah. Anyone dissing it cause it's not Soulsborne can eat a dick. Stop calling it hard and cheap cause you never "got gud" playing DMC, Onimusha, or Ninja Gaiden.

Anyone who did should be fine. Soulsborne starters, prepare to actually have to move, defend, and learn real combos.

You clearly haven't been paying attention to any Ni-Oh threads at all

I have, just nipping the haters in the bud.

nb for replying to sage

Dropped

archive.is/tjQsi

Nu males blown right the fuck out.

If anything I've seen people complaining that they dumbed down the difficulty, and it's a pretty bold claim that the combat will require the level of skill that DMC or NG does

Between the people saying it isn't as good as Souls, the people saying it's way better than Souls, and anyone comparing it to Souls in the first place I think there's going to be enough shitposting without having to throw fuel on the fire by baiting casuals

Okay I may have to rescind that last comment

I think I see why you thought the Karasu Tengu were hard. Onmyo magic felt like the anti yokai tool of choice in Last Chance. Being able to fire off a Guardian Talisman followed by two elemental (non wind) shots on a Tengu to completely drain their yokai energy for ~10 seconds made fights against them remarkably trivial.

The stone statues also have a fatal weakness to water and the elemental water shot allows you to take them out without needing to get close.

Also, there was a talisman that granted amrita on hitting your opponent. Combine that with Fuse-Ushi's high might and recovery stat and you could straight up face tank the Ogress from start to finish with one living weapon.

And, as previously mentioned, the lifeseal talisman works wonders on stamina dependent enemies

look, no matter how good it is, its not worth 60 dollars. and since fucking literally EVERY single triple A new game is 60 dollars. im gonna wait for it to go down.

Is this one of those games that pretends to be deep because it has a lot of moves but in reality you only need like 3 or 4 to complete the game?

What's worth 60 dollars exactly?

no game is worth 60 dollars at launch. something like Dark Souls could very well be worth 60 dollars with all of its DLC included. but at launch? with all the bugs? fuck no.

you know how modern games are, none of the games that come out today come fully working, everything is incomplete and "patched" later. usually after you scrape out another 20$.

I'm, so, fucking
READY
I've put
THOUSANDS
of hours into the Souls games and I'm gonna put at least a
THOUSAND
hours into
NIOH

W E W
E
W

So can you play the game completely offline or is the multiplayer part of it too important to skip? I'm interested in the game, but I'm not paying for PS+

There's apparently a currency used for unlocking costumes that comes from co-op and killing revenants, but there's offline revenants so you could just grind those.

Dark Souls was better.

So what yōkai have we seen so far?
By my count we have:
What am I missing?

>Yamata no Orochi

How do you think the Souls players, especially the Lorefags, will react to Nioh's kaidan stuff?

So will this game be on pc or is it fated to die on ps4?

As far as we know it's PS4 only.

What a shame, this game looked promising too.

Regret not playing the beta enough. The boss in the boat stumped me for a bit so I just went back to Bloodborne. Completely missed the last chance as well. Probably will end up getting it, but more towards the end of the year.

Obnoxiously, I bet. Although I guess Vaati has something new to milk now. Personally I'm looking forward to a game like this centered around Japanese folklore since most others have a western setting

I may be wrong but based on some of the trailers it seems like it's going to have quite a bit more dialogue and cutscenes than Souls, so maybe there won't even be a parallel there

I don't, after I enjoyed the alpha so much I intentionally skipped the beta and the last demo so that I wouldn't spoil myself

Turtle is going to be one slow ass guardian spirit. I wonder if it will be a good damage tank in summon mode?

~215 rounds of 5.56 to feed my raifuru

Please you didn't even use Carnage talisman.
That thing is a stupidly massive attack boost. Sure you die in like 2 hits if you have it up, but it's almost triple attack power.

I like the Moment talisman/GS talisman. Admittedly I've found it to be more effective with some spirits than others, I don't know what the fuck that rabbit thinks that it's doing.

That rabbit makes your ninjutsu power obscene. It's like +75 at 11 spirit.

im not going to make the same mistake with the wii u

I was talking about her summon attack. She just slowly hops around in a circle leaving electric poops on the ground.
With out a doubt her passive buffs are off the charts though.

How many good exclusives does the PS4 have now?

I want to eventually play this and Bloodborne but I feel like I need at least 5-7 games to justify a whole console.

oh that's actually really good for crowd control.

So, just as a conversation topic. What builds is everyone planning on going.
If the kusarigama is as good as the last chance demo, I'm probably going to go a heavy ninjutsu build with that.

Hated Alpha, loved Beta, Last Chance was more Beta.
We got one, it's called Bloodborne. Just ask Father "Umbasa" Gascoigne.
The blacksmith can take the stats of any equipment and apply it to the look of any other equipment. Get your fashion on.
Yes.

I'm not even keeping track of this shit. Is it F2P?

The game seems like it will benefit most from building for two complimentary weapons that use same/similar stat categories. Kusarigama is neat but need a companion weapon for sure.

Hell no. Ordinary $60 game with ordinary season pass DLC Bamco shenanigans.

Rest in pieces

Actually I just remembered that I pre-ordered from Amazon Prime for $48, so that was nice.

DaS3 is the DeS sequel we did get though.

Isn't it Koei Tecmo not Bamco

Not even close.

Shit you are right, my bad.

I think the only thing the game is missing is gimmicky weapons a la scraping spear. Otherwise mechanically speaking and in terms of play-style I can find many parallels between the two games. Not to mention DaS3 has a number of references to its predecessor.

It lacks the freedom of choosing what level to go to to start a specific build early on. Firelink Shrine tried to be the Nexus but forgot the elements that made the Nexus so interesting.

I suppose that's true. It is much more linear compared to its predecessors. I wouldn't say that makes it not even close, however.

why do you specifically need a pro for it? You might be able to get a second hand OG PS4 these days

Is this a japanese dark souls?

You'll now be able to play Automata and Ace Combat 7 on PC and Persona 5 is also coming to the PS3, so I don't really know what to tell you, PS4 is running out of genuine exclusives

who cares ?

Kusarigama + Dual Katana is THE ninja combo.
I was actually wondering if you could make a functional bow build in Nioh? There is Archer armor after all.

Did I miss the last demo because I couldn't find it?

Yes, played the alpha but didn't really get to play much of the latest demos. Honestly wasn't pleased with the fact that they made it easier for the shitters after the alpha. The game was very solid in the alpha with an actual learning curve at the start.

Stop comparing this game to fucking Dark Souls and Demon Souls. It's not a Souls game as much as it shares similar mechanics. It's more like Onimusha and Ninja Gaiden. Games that have been around longer than Dark Souls. I'm so over Soulsborne fanboys at this point.

Yes. If you played the demos, you would know this already.

Yes. It won't be amazing but it'll definitely be a decent game for this year compared to everything else. I've been in several other game betas this year and the games are just poorly optimized with server issues.

Probably, using the hand cannon and the bow with some ammo reduction you probably can.
I mean hell I almost made one during the last chance demo, but I gave up after RNG conspired against me for unlimited ammo.

So how is it?

The demos were fantastic, full game drops in 2 days in the US

The point of a ninja is to be stealthy and light, and to be able to use his tools with one hand and his main weapon in the other. hell, this is even implied in the game itself, because Skill mostly scales 2kat and GUNS (definitely not what I'd call ninja weaponry), whereas Heart is for bows. Not to mention the bonus for wearing Hanzo's whole set includes single katana + kusarigama.

I thought it was out already.

Nope February 7th, for the US anyways. I know some streamers got it early to "raise hype"

Ninjas were using guns since the late 16th century. Many of them also carried explosives.

Opening cinematic is out, love the past title nods and getting some 47 Ronin vibe on the burning tower.

All you need to know is that game got dumbed down after alpha and a second time after beta. Developers should never ask for internet opinion. There is all kinds of opinions and it's bad to make your game based on them just like what happened with FFXV.

I would be with you on the whole stamina thing, but enemies never followed it in the alpha anyways, so obeying the same rules as the enemies is a good thing.

Even from this thumbnail it looks like witcher 3 cutscene.

Apparently, NG+ doesn't fuck around with the difficulty.

This generic shit wouldnt get any attention if it wasnt made by japs, you weebs are pathetic

Yeah it was only for three days over a weekend about two weeks ago. I nearly missed out on even knowing about it myself.

The true master race in current year has a PC and a PS4.

So are Nippons cucks too?

It's based off of a historical figure.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adams_(sailor)

Jesus that might actually be the first time I'll ever be scared of a challenge

Huh, look at that, they even mention it

Huh. I've never been spitroasted by two samurai before.

Dude's interesting. Road near me is named after him. I live quite close to where he did.

Before Japan, obviously.

I'm optimistic.

I hope this means a return to form for Team Ninja. I think Dead or Alive 5 has enough fucking dlc now. Anyway, game plays pretty good. You can be forgiven for think it's a Souls clone at first glance, but it plays quite differently. You're rewarded for switching stances often and generally being faster than your opponent, but I hope they add more ways to punish pokefags.
The blacksmith can make items you like have the stats of other items, so it's even better than fashionsouls.

Weapon durability is retarded in Dark Souls too, faggot. I'm glad they took that shit out. Come back when you finish your fucking ESL course.

Fucking Japs.

I am anticipating extreme salt coming from PvPfags when they get destroyed by someone wearing an Unmatched hakama of the West wielding a Raikiri bokken.

I'm anticipating nothing from PvP since I don't have a PS+ subscription

Don't know how much it's going to affect this game in particular. In Bloodborne without PS+ you can't even see tombstones or messengers

I'm guessing we'll still get bloody graves and revenants regardless because otherwise the entire balance of the game will be thrown off.

Does anyone know if something really cool happens in the final region that I must experience it for myself? At this point, I watched most of the game on streams and sadly ended up spoiling myself on various bosses and whatnot. I just can't stop because I'm too damn curious about this game.

And holy shit, Nioh discussion is fucking dead in this place.

Yes, all three. Had good fun with them all.

Hell no. It is a different beast all together. One of my favourite things about it is seeing a bunch of people show their casual colours by whinging that they can't R1 spam through the game. Combat is a lot more stylish in that regard.

Hell yeah. On all manner of nip armours.

Probably. Gameplay is fun. Better than Lords of the Fallen.

Well it's not out for most people yet. So I'd imagine come tomorrow it'll be dead with people playing. And then come Thursday it'll pick up as people get into their groove.

That's preferable to the other extreme

Heh.

I would assume most people don't watch streams and are just going by the demos, since there isn't a lot of pre-release material to talk about for the game

What could possibly go wrong? These threads will be totally civil

I must say, for a decently polished hardcore game by an established studio with multiple free demos released across several months to widespread appeal, there has been oddly little fan following for Nioh pre-release.
I mean, we are now one night out from it's release, and it has no fanart to be found, no fanfiction, relatively little speculation or tracking of information.
It's weird because all the demos and footage was polished, the game bit we've seen are all well-designed, and the announcements and pre-releases were well received.
What do you think has been stopping Nioh from developing any kind of notable fan-community Holla Forums? Because I can't think of any other game that had a decent amount of hype that never got any sort of pre-release derivative works/tributes.

Not just that either. Despite being similar to Souls at a basic level, in reality it's fundamentally and intentionally different from Souls or any of its clones.
I don't think the enormity of that has really hit Souls fans yet.

>>>/reddit/

It's a new IP, no established fanbase.

bump, game releases in one and a half hours

What, did you buy digital or something?

What is that pre-order armor suppose to look like?

Anyone here got to play the game yet?

I'm surprised that there aren't a lot of people here that talk about it. People with connections to people in retail can break street dates.

I just finished playing it for a couple hours and I'll say I'm glad I did research on the game. All the stupid comparison's to Bloodsouls turned me off, initially.The combat is pretty fast and very fluid. I'm impressed by most of the game. It's as if people who actually care about making video games made it.

Also it has poise.

Any idea if you can turn off some of the number indicators from the options? Flying damage numbers turn me off.

Loving it so far, very impressed. I'm shocked that Action Mode genuinely runs at 60 fps, I remember in the alpha it was more like 45. It's a little weird that it opens with essentially three tutorial levels but that's a pretty small complaint

I was concerned on the artistic side of things that it wouldn't hold up since the Ogress' animations looked like shit, but all of the environments are great and every enemy's animations have been good too

I haven't seen an option for that, no

I preordered off of amazon at the last second I already knew from the betas that I enjoyed it, and they gave 20% off for preordering, and I'm stucking waiting until Thursday to play it.

Could someone dump images of the avatars you can use?

Oh lawdy I can't fucking wait.

Finally got the game but since I'm an autistic fucknugget and forgot to play any of the demos even after downloading the first I'm kind of excited to go blind.

Hey actually yeah, you can disable both the damage numbers on you and enemies individually, it's under Game Options. Haven't found an option to disable the mini-map yet, though

Like character loadouts? There's just the one, really

Probably can't disable the minimap because it's important to the game. I.E. your guardian gives you minimap sight. You're guardian leaving you blind to protect your grave is supposed to be a major downside.

Fuck this shit store.

Saw some footage from the demos, know what it's about, like the concept. Haven't even seen a trailer, bought it and going in blind. Wish me luck.

Good luck roninanon.

I had always wished that Souls would go back to Demon's Soul's classic hub-world/stage-select setup, but this mission structure is scratching that itch a little. I guess it's closer to Severance, though, the map progression and levels were set up in the same way

Does it? The minimap still shows up and shows the path back to your guardian even if your guardian is somewhere else in the level

Lost the picture

That's a narrow-minded attitude, user.
I hate most Japanese games because I hate weebshit and anything that looks like anime.
But I don't write games off based simply on the country they come from. I may usually prefer Western games, and Nips may make a lot of trash, but they also make some good games, too.

That's not exactly an uncommon view here.

Bloodborne and Yakuza 0. And I heard the new Ratchet & Clank was good. Infamous: Second Son looks decent, though I haven't played it.

The (somewhat overrated, but still OK) novel Shogun by James Clavell is also based on William Adams.

Neat. They're in a pretty illegible font, so that would be distracting and useless.

I think I screwed up, but in my defense the game lead me on thin ice. I went in blind and the whole London tutorial section plays like Dark Souls, which made me think it's ok ti skil the tutorial after you pick your weapon. Is there a way to replay it or is there a youtube video on it?

What did you do?

To anyone further in the game, how's the enemy variety? Seems so far like it's only going to be other warriors sprinkled with the occasional yokai. Not that it's a complaint, Severance works the same way, I'm just curious

That first mission is essentially a tutorial anyway, it has control prompts to teach you everything you need to do. Only thing you might have missed out on is ki pulse and your living weapon moves

I should clarify I mean that mission you're about to do after skipping the tutorial, not the prison one. The one that starts on a dark beach

Enemies only show up when your guardian is with you. I think the same may apply to shrines and other things.

Enemy variety is probably one of the areas where Nioh suffers the most. I think there are about 20 different enemy types (whereas Dark Souls has about triple that number), on top of the game not doing a very good job of switching them up.

If you think the game is dragging for too long, it might be best to skip a few sub-missions (or play coop), because that's where the content is most recycled.

Finished the first mission, and fuck this game is good. I only played the first alpha which was rough in areas but did they ever step up and tweak the game in good ways.

I haven't enjoyed a Team Ninja game since NG:B on the Xbox, I'm surprised they actually can still make good games.

I mean the skins you can unlock from playing online bought at the hidden teahouse I think.

The London Mission or the Beach Mission? Because i went through the Beach Mission and noticed there are less enemies when compared to the beta (Around 5 or 6 less enemies in the map).

Still, the game looks gorgeous and the addition of Ninja weapons makes it even better.

Beach mission, I did notice there was less enemy density but it almost feels like the combat flows a lot better from the alpha. Also I thought the durability in the alpha was pretty fucking obnoxious so it was nice to see it out.

Though even with the reduction of enemies I still got my shit kicked in by some yokai.

Yea, the combat flows a lot better, specially if you go for a fast build (I'm doing a Ninja build with light armor and focusing on using the sickle/Katana and throwing weapons) with dodges being faster and covering slightly more distance and attacks being quite faster (Enemies with axes took me by surprise with how fast they swung their weapons).

Yokai are still fucking brutal, but the trick i used in the beta still works: Throw salt at them and deplete their stamina. Once their stamina is depleted, you will be able to stunlock them (At least the regular onis).

For Yokai so far the best method I've got is to break the horns with a high stance strong attack to stun and make them fall down. If you're fast enough you can get two ground stabs which do a hefty amount of damage.

The agile ones are a nightmare at times though, but I'm absolutely loving that the game so far makes me always think on death what I can do better and how I fucked up.

The simplicity of how it works but complexity of execution for Ki management and optimizing that is something I'm digging big time, and the fact the enemies also have stamina.

I would dare to say that the fact that enemies have stamina is the greatest advantage in the game. I love it.

Also, Ki management and Ki pulse mastery is vital in later stages, where big Yokai (Onis and Tengus) become the usual enemies.

I think if you can sap a One Eyed Oni for long enough you can turn it back into a Hitotsume-kozō, at least the ones that started that way.

Judging from the demos I think the variety of yōkai steps up the further you get into things. I know the isle of the demons mission has always just been mostly humans with a few dwellers and oni here and there. You're going to end up with a lot more non humans in the twilight missions too.

Oh I love how they don't just make bosses immune to everything. I always hated that stupid shit.

At the risk of sounding like a shill, this game really surprised me with it's quality.

Have to say that despite the low expectations, the game is surprisingly polished. The combat is fluent and amazing, the artstyle is gorgeous, the enviroments are grim… This game screams effort in every facet.

The universal stamina system is something that makes this game amazing, and not only bosses are vulnerable to that, but much more.

Man, for a leftover script from Akira Kurosawa, they kinda turned this game quite well for being vaporware for 10 years.

m8 its time to stop pretending anyone shills on a board with 2.2K users and declining.

It's good, but not outstanding. Going with multiple niche power sets instead of just one more developed one was a poor choice imo, it leaves everything feelings shallow, especially because concrete only gets unlocked after the final boss. The expansion where you play as the Neon girl is actually a better game

OK…
Where the HELL did they put the last Kodama on the Isle of Demons?
Why can I not find a glowing green fluorescent baby with a bright red hat?

I want to fuck them.

Is Nioh coming out for pc?

Sony published in west, probably meaning funding from them somewhere. Fairly unlikely it'll be on PC then.

While playing the prologue I mistakenly believed that you will be able to come back and explore after the boss. Thus I missed the area at the very bottom at the water, right from the gate, where the 2 armored soldiers are guarding a big chest. Was there anything fun there?

KODAMA ARE NOT FOR SEXUAL!

You also take 20% more damage when your spirit isn't with you. And you lose any other benefits

I hope we''l be able to get the European armor and weapons outside the first stage. Also I hope we'll be able to get dojo training weapons and hakama outside the training mode.

Does this game ape Meme Souls by not having a pause function?

stop spreading this myth, it's 2.2 ISPs. that doesn't include lurkers at all.

Just Googled it, apparently there is no pause function, even if you're offline or not hosting another player. What utter bullshit. Probably won't buy it now.

fuck, I want to pick this up but can't justify dropping $80+ canuckbucks on it after I've already spent a shitload this month.

I'll wait a bit for it to go on sale and grab it because it seems like between this an Yakuza 0 there is actually a reason to dust off my bloodborne machine

Isn't there one way over on the side of the beach at the end, near that revenant?

I'm not positive but I don't think enemies can become hostile when you have the menu open. At least that's happened to me a few times, after closing the equipment screen there will be some enemy that's just been standing there waiting to become hostile

Just got my copy today, I missed all demo items. What are they and does anyone have an idea what the best area to farm them from offline revenants is?

Liked the demos but fuck video game prices.
A. I'll wait for it to be on sale and buy it for 19$ next Christmas.
B. It comes out on PC before it's 20$ on PS4 and I'll pirate it.

The demo items were low level helmets fashioned after the bosses in the demos. I'm probably going to get the names wrong on them, but I think the bosses were Hinoenma (bat chick), Onigiri (giant oni), and Ogress. I'm honestly not sure they can even drop, and most people probably wouldn't run the helmet itself. They were meant to be refashioned onto better equipment.

I figured as much, I planned to refashion them myself.

Mark of the Conqueror is gone forever, then?

I don't even have my copy yet so I couldn't tell you. Your best bet would be farming online revenants near the start of the game. Look for low levels with a I assume white helmet piece. People probably wear the helmets until they can find something better, but the helmets might actually be soulbound, and you may be out of luck.

I finally found it. It was somewhere near the center of the island on a little hillock in the tall grass.

If someone can confirm they can drop I wouldn't mind dying around a bit so that other people can have a chance at them. I love the Hannya mask.

How can you tell if it's soulbound?

I've got no idea. I think it would require extensive farming of a friend's revenant who you know was wearing one of the masks. It just seems to me that they wouldn't let people pickup things like preorder weapon skins or beta rewards.

Sorry for the blog post, but I just finally fucking managed to kill the first "real" boss, the guy dual wielding the chain-and-balls. It took me A LOT of tries, but in my defense I walked into the fight with ~10k "souls" and died to him so I kept going in at level 6-7 to make sure not to lose my corpse, and I banged my head until I managed to kill him.

Overall, I think there's a part of the combat system that's just not clicking with me. I use swords, and I get the idea that with precise ki bursts + stance switching you can theoretically keep your ki up indefinitely, allowing you to dance around enemies like a motherfucker of death, but I can't put that quite into practice. In the first boss fight I kept doing that, but it was impossible to dodge his spin attack without dodging all the way out (and even that won't work if I start too late) so that breaks my flow and I was forced to play it safe and steady, kicking him until he loses his ki and then putting on some hurt while I can stun him.

Am I missing something or am I just bad?

Nice, but the legs piece looks sort of mismatched

Only that the boss fights are supposed to have some longevity, so you're probably not all that underleveled, and that you shouldn't be able to whale on them like normal enemies

That spinning move caught me a few times too, mainly because I think the animation on that particular move is really bad, but functionally it shouldn't be that much of a speedbump. As far as I can tell he only does it when you're right up in his face, and if you time it really, really well you can i-frame right through the chain without having to step back. Ideally if you're trying to use ki pulse strategically in that fight you should be using high stance, since dodges after high stance moves count as a ki pulse

Well I am trying to use stance dancing and ki pulses strategically all the time, if I just play it like Dark Souls, dodging and rushing in to smack the enemy a few times before dodging out, I feel like I'm doing it wrong.

I think ki burst chaining becomes easier as you level up your skills and equipment. I know one of the learnable skills is the ability to ki pulse even while dodging.
The other half of it is spoiling your opponent's ki management. Ninja shit is good for that. I'm not sure if youkai water pots spoil human ki recovery or not? I know salt is good at breaking youkai stamina/mana.

Yeah I know. I'm still working on my ensemble.

The best way to deal with Onryoki is to rush in and rush out and make sure to keep him at opposite sides of the arena when he starts throwing balls, you need dodging room. You can also block most of his attacks if you can equip sufficiently heavy armor. He's also weak to the water element. Isonade makes him easy.

Funnily enough I had much less trouble once his chains break, he became much easier. I could dodge the balls from any distance while in low stance. The only time I died in that phase was the few odd times he surprised me with a grab or jump attack.

99% of my deaths were to the chain spin in the first phase.

How do I do the fast dodge where there's a trails of my character? Seems like their attack will always miss when I do that, as opposed to the plain dodge.

Also, a rundown of elemental weaknesses for enemies? Decided to pump some stats into magic and mess around with Onmyo.

I'm not succeeding at all with kurisigami. Any tips on making that shit work efficiently?

Mid and low stance, beat them down with light attacks to set up the ground pound.

My experience with kurisigami from the final demo is to keep it in high stance and learn the reaper attack and the "get over here" move. Also get one with a paralysis on hit attack and you can keep enemies at a distance with the weight throw. Kurisigami seems to have a heavier reliance on learned skills than the other weapons.
It synergizes well with a ninja build.

I will give that a shot. Been switching up but using a lot of High Stance and Mid.

I'm pretty early in the game so haven't got any real skills yet. Took the dual swords and the kurisigama because I wanted a speedy guy and there seemed to be some synergy with the stats between them. Dual swords are no problem but the gama seems to be missing something.

Really? I mean yeah the second phase isn't that bad but I died once or twice to those throws until I learned that where it looks like he's going to throw and where he actually throws don't have much to do with each other

Dodge right after attacking in mid stance

Kusarigama is my shit, that and the dual uchigatanas. The only time I feel it hasn't been useful yet is in the boss fights, but for regular enemy encounters the shredding moves and long-range moves are invaluable. That said it didn't really click with me until I unlocked the skills that let you kick while guarding and do that shredding move while guarding

I watched some gameplay footage and it looks cool.
Any chance of a shitty DS-tier PC port in the future?

That's the issue with them. They're going to a secondary weapon early game or a weapon for experienced players.
Dual swords are a good weapon to pair with them. That's what I chose too.
I regret picking Kato though. I need my sharkbro.

To me the initial issue was that he throws me them like 0.2 seconds later than I think he'll throw them. Once I got the muscle memory for his throw timing, I would just do 2-3 dashes in low stance in quick succession and unless I'm literally having my face in his crotch he wouldn't hit me. But then again, I'm

Gotcha. I took the wind bird god. Seems to work pretty smooth so far. When do you start getting skills that you need to make it good?

Samurai skill points. Allocate them carefully.

I never did figure out how you gain that shit. I just check from time to time and see how many I got.

All the physical oriented attributes will give you some every couple points, sometimes multiple per point (seems to be at set thresholds)

High stance seems to have it's uses, but I always get rekt whenever I'm fighting other samurai with it. Should work wonders on slower enemies, though.

Kurisigama's highstance makes you become death destroyer of worlds. Problem is the start up on the attacks is horrendous, but it's hands down best for pure DPS. Really if anything I'd say mid is the weakest stance, lower damage than low/high, it's only real benefit is how wide of an area it hits.

You mostly gain them upon leveling up a stat but you can also get them as bonus points for using a weapon or from using samurai locks. Samurai points are used for learning all weapon skills but ninja and onmyo each have their own separate skill points.
As an aside I would suggest learning kekkai and guardian spirit jutsus from the onmyo skill set and if you are going for a ninja build start learning shuriken and -dama jutsus.

I had real good luck on revenant killing with my high stance kurisigama in the last demo but I had one with a paralysis effect. A lightning element effect would have much the same effect. Earth elemental would be good for a slow effect.

that looks so fucking unsatisfying and un-fun. why would anyone ever choose to play with that style?

3 games

I think the point of ninjutsu in this game is to play in a more tactile way and outsmart enemies

how is it more tactile and smart to just spam a throwing weapon?

Are you sure? I've been able to back-dodge that way too, maybe it depends on how much ki you have?

I'll probably load it up with lightning talismans once I get my Onmyo up, as well as start giving it skills.

Right now I'm in mostly honarabu samurai mode with my uchigatana, most points going into Heart.

How do you mean? You can back-dodge after attacking mid stance. Maybe it works also if you dodge right before damage or something like that but I know it works every time when you dodge after doing a mid stance move

Seems like a more appropriate response than going after a flying boss with a close-range weapon

The great thing about the three reward helms is that you don't just get the helm but you also get a smithing guide with each one so you can make your own.
I think I'm going to wait until I can get purple tier of each on before I start trying to drop bloody graves for people to farm. Also to get confirmation if they drop from revenant kills.

I'm on the Wreathed in Flame mission and need some help but no one seems to be showing up when I offer a cup. Had plenty of other summons so far but this one is barren.

Also fuck the fire wheel yokai things.

Yes.
No, stop comparing it to a souls game.
Probably.
No. General rule is the more hype something gets the more shit it will be.

Nevermind finally got some help.

fuck

Does anyone have a high-skill katana gameplay video? I want to see what it looks like.

This thread is a win.

Don't bother with any of that. It's not very good. These chucklefucks are just getting memed on again, like with Dragon's Dogma.

Don't cut yourself on that edge.

The first 3 levels or so are from the alpha and beta so I don''t think it matters that much if you look at early footage
Good game. You should think about getting it

I'd fuck that.
Porn when?

To anyone further in the game, how's the difficulty? It's a little harder than Souls, especially the boss fights, but for the most part the normal enemy encounters aren't that bad at all. I'd say the only cheap boss I've found so far is Tachibana Muneshige, if only because he just spams that one move over and over again and the way his stamina works

Has it been long enough for anyone to be high-skill at this game?

The game seems pretty good so far and not much looks to have changed from the beta other than reduced enemy density and slower skill point gain, both of which were likely increased for demo purposes in the beta. I'm really loving the soul matching mechanic so far for letting me level up unique weapons I like.

I haven't gotten very far yet but the difficulty seems pretty decent. Normal encounters are not too hard if your paying attention but most of the Yokai are still deadly and can punish you pretty hard if you fuck up, i've died a few times after fumbling stance changes and missing a dodge that gets me locked into a combo. I've only beat the two bosses from the beta so far but i've just gotten onto Nui and he seems pretty fun.

It overall seems like a pretty solid game that took the souls games as a foundation and built on it rather than the lazy clone I first expected. It's got plenty of original mechanics that spice up the game and make it pretty fun. I'm not sure if it's gotten easier from the beta or if i've just learnt the mechanics and gotten better at it but the game still seems challenging enough to not get boring in most encounters, I imagine twilight missions are going to add a lot of the challenge and replay value.

Yep, lots of the same appeal but could be sold purely as an action game, plenty of neat ideas to remove the combat from haphazard button mashing without sacrificing the fast pace. I also particularly like that they sat around a table and said to themselves, "Alright, let's think up some shortcuts that aren't just unlocking a door or activating an elevator." It's also pretty shocking how many of the sub-missions have their own unique areas and encounters with as much content as the main missions.

I don't know if I'd say the final game is particularly easier than the alpha or that the alpha was all that hard in the first place, and I would have said I was just imagining the step down in difficulty, but look who's complaining that the game is too easy

I can't quite figure out what people mean when they say level 2 or 3, do they mean proper level or do they include the London prologue?

I'd assume they mean the third main story mission after the formal tutorial, the one with the rain and lightning. It's not like they're numbered or anything

What i can say after getting to stage 4 is that there are way less enemies than in the beta. Some are still there (Like the Onis or the Yomotsu Hirasaka), but they are less than in the beta, same applies to bandits. Everything else is pretty much the same (Including the bosses).

Also

Wait,you actually bought a PS4?

Get on my level scrubs.

if it makes you feel better I bought it second hand from a friend that was switching to an xbox. So got about 7 games and two controllers with it all for $250 canuckbucks, which is pretty sweet imo

But all I've used it for is bloodborne and Odin Sphere

What game jam? I'm interested now.

Thread makes perfect sense now. Day of the Rake when?

Nordeus Hackathon

Why?

Ah, that's pretty cool. I've only participated in online game jams.

How do you get stuff out of your storehouse?

Can't you just do it on the map, from the Starting Point icon?

Yes you can. I had missed that at the bottom of the list.

Oh fuck me I can't get out of the water temple.

Pretty soon you'll start to realize all the enemies are the same 5 different kinds, and complain about the lack of variety.

No seriously how the fuck do you get out of the back of the water temple? You know the one where you have to light the lamps and fight the giant Umeboshi.

I was expecting Samurai Lovecraft to be honest.

Also, why every historical figure of japan has a pokemon?

There is a talisman skill that you can get that makes the Kodama visible on the radar.

Has anyone noticed how the lock-on is still janky as hell, with the character turning around for no apparent reason? It's a bit annoying to have to move the character around just so it repositions facing the target (this is noticeable when trying to execute that running slice and dice dual katana skill, as the character sometimes runs off in an unintended direction). And to think some people wanted the old lock-on from the Alpha…

Other than a few minor gripes, I'm really enjoying this game. Can we get some gameplay clips rolling in this thread? Recording shit on the PS4 is easy as piss.
Here's me abusing the kick on a 2kat combo, and the rolling backwards attack with high stance does a super quick double slash that covers a lot of distance: files.catbox.moe/9f5xb1.mp4

why does it look like a late era ps2 game?

I don't think you can, I looked around there too. You can use an item to get back to the shrine without losing your Amrita

I can already count more than five main enemy types so I call bull

After looking over and over I found there was a false wall with a talisman on it that lets you back into the main part of the temple.
That was a pain in the ass.

can I play this on the personal computer ?

As soon as there is a PS4 emulator, you can.

Is it just me, or do Yoki seem to not take a lot of damage from normal attacks?

Like, I get that they're big beefy demons, but you've got to hack away at them for quite awhile to start actually killing them.

Is there something that I'm just missing? I've been maining Kusarigama which might be my problem.

I'm not very far, but in the demo I caught on that the kusarigama isn't effective against them in the initial stages. I sub it with 1kat, and the high stance will slice off their horns making them more susceptible to dmg.

Also, wear out their stamina by dodging. They'll do a belly flop allowing you a gracious damage window.

you faggots remember to always use a consistent framerate over variable, even if variable can be higher. frame pacing matters more than FPS

Remove the talisman off the back of the Nurikabe. It's kinda hard to see in the dim light

I was exaggerating a bit, but it's no joke that there isn't a huge variety of enemies to fight. I'm only up to the 2nd region though.

Elemental buffs for weapons is boring when you can absolutely wreck your enemies stamina/slow them/inflict horrible status effects. Pair that up with standard 1h katana for parrying and western warrior set + raiken. Shit is fun.

Problem is, those also don't scale off magic power very well. In fact nothing scales well off of ninjutsu or magic power period.
Meaning it's best to get just barely enough points for what you want and then just either A: get a weapon that scales off the stat you want
or B:Invest in a flat scaling stat.

The moment talisman for example a 50 power difference makes a 20 point damage change or a 1 flame talisman change. A 75 ninjutsu power change makes kunai do a whole 1 more point of damage.

This either leads me to believe there's a very low softcap, or that ninjutsu/magic power are only there to make scaling on certain weapons work better.

Depends on how it pans out in the end but I don't think enemy variety is all that bad, just subtle. There's a lot of difference between fighting a polearm user versus a hammer user, even if they're both humanoid, and just about every mission introduces a new yokai type.

Yeah same, I can leave the 2nd region and move on to the third but I want to do some of the sub-mission first

Where?

I don't know if you could main ninjutsu or main onmyo but I'm looking at that as support for a second playthrough since I've barely done any on this one. I sort of regret choosing the dual swords over the katana since that parry move from the tutorial seems badass

The best thing about the stat is the slots for loads of options. Good spells cost a lot of slots.

You can also take them down by sniping in the eye. Their shota form is even more susceptible to sniping.

I think the game expects you to take advantage of equipment set bonuses and guardian spirit boosts for onmyo and ninjitsu. The "Unlimited" bonuses are lifesavers and at higher % make make magic and ninja-fu viable.

Yeah as I was saying, you have to build around having weapons with X to attack on them. Like try doing a ranged build without yatagarasu and his set, it's just not going to happen, and even then you still want Ninjutsu on your melee weapon.

There seems to be plans for dlc so I wouldn't mind seeing more yokai like a tsukumogami, nine-tailed fox or kuchikaze-onna.

Trips of truth

Has anyone found a tengu mask yet? I have the full yamabushi set but the tokin hat is just not doing it for me. The geta would be nice too.

How in the hell do you time parries? I got the parry with the katana in the Way of the Warrior: Novice tutorial mission on the first try with no problem so I just assumed I had the timing down and never thought about it again. I've unlocked the parry moves for both the dual swords and the kusarigama now and I can't for the life of me get it to work. I've tried it slightly before the attack connects, very slightly before the attack connects, right when it connects, when the sound effect for the block comes in, any time I can think to try, every time I eat shit

Parry so far only works with humans and even then it's like BB in the sense the parry timing varies between enemies.

I considered that, since I'd been practicing on the undead warriors, but I didn't think it would matter since they're humanoid anyway

Any of you guys mess around with the Kusarigama? I notice almost none of the Blood Graves have anyone using it.

I'm doing a sword/kurasigma playthough right now.

I've been carrying one as a secondary weapon but I can't find one that suits me so I haven't been using it much.

I find myself keeping it on the off chance I'm dealing with multiple enemies or if I want to pick people off one-by-one since I can just drag them my way.

Watching a guy stream and he tried to parry yokai but he failed every time and only managed to make it work with Muneshige.

I think I saw a vid of a guy parrying Hino-enma but I could be wrong.

I'm scared.

I'm using it as my main weapon on a Ninja build. It's pretty good, since it allows you to keep some distance between you and the enemy. It's a really nice weapon for harassing tactics and it's great against humans mainly because of the technique that allows you to pull the enemy towards you

Send it to the trash.

so i'm wrapping up collecting kodamas in the second region and i feel like i never ever use low stance, am i a shitter for it? switching between high and mid seems more useful most the time

high stance regular combo is great for breaking the red guys horns and landing more free hits

Against the Yokis i usually use the mid stance regular combo, since it hits their heads too. In 1 or 2 hits i break their horns and they fall to the ground so i can land a nice big hit on them.

The Kusarigama it's such a nice weapon

i'm glad to see it in games in general and in this it works excellent

i hop between it and a regular katana so far and its been pretty satisfying, although i'd like to mess with spears a bit i don't want to stretch my stats too much since i dunno good capping points and what not

I go with the Kusarigama and a Spear. I fell in love with the Spears in the beta thanks to the techniques you can learn to break the enemy guard and stamina easily. I just love it

Keep crying cancer race fag.

Start a petition, maybe they'll listen.

Oh God what do I choose?

that fucking gauntlet at the end is bullshit

Given the clans are locked per player account, I just went with the one that granted extra luck, because I plan on doing different builds.

What place did you get in what year?

Can you change clans?

Which one is that? The bridge?

You can, but I think you have to wait 8 hours to change it again.

What does the Hidden Tea House do? I still haven't gotten there

We need a Nioh thread/general, this bread is a mess for discussing the post-launch stuff. And fuck, Action and Movie modes was a great idea.

You'll be able to choose a clan, and buy a bunch of stuff with Glory points, including changing to different skins.

Different clans have different effects. Some of them synnergise not only with particular types of equipment but with specific sets/pieces of equipment.
One gives bonus to pirate armor for example. Another gives a bonus only to the Jumonji Spear. Another improves explosives. One of them lets you Tri-Force.
Of course clan Tachibana buffs lightning.

What I'd like to know is if the buffs from the Talismans scale with Onmyo magic power (whether the build-up or the damage are affected). There is no definitive answers for basic stuff like that yet, and there is so much shit to uncover it's not even funny.

the status build-up from the elements, I mean

no not at all.
I just tested it, the talismans basically do not scale off onmyo power. A 100 point difference you do 2 whole more damage with your charm, and as build up is influenced by damage for the elemental, you decide.

I think they scale off your weapon damage.

Yeah, it seems to be based more off of weapon power than omnyo. because while omnyo does effect the power of the buff, it's next to god damn nothing

How does onmyo affect elemental shot damage?

well let me put it this way, a 75 point power difference made me do 5 more damage with a fire shot.
Onmyo power doesn't make talismans scale well at all, it's all about the sets that make your other damage scale off onmyo power

How good is it? Anything major changed from the demos?

Just finished the first sub-mission that ends with a repeat boss fight, Onryoki. That was a nice surprise, happy to get it on my first try too. It might just be because the arena was better, it happens in a very picturesque location full of water reflecting sunlight and shit like that, not the claustrophobic little hut like before. He did have a few buffs that weren't there the first time, though.

It's pretty good
Slightly lower enemy density and different enemy locations, at least for the demo locations compared to their equivalents in the final game. Seems like most people are under the impression that this means the difficulty was dumbed down but I think they don't quite realize how much it ramps up over the course of the game, those demos were probably supposed to be an example of early-mid game stages, not the very first stages

Reminder to not be a cunt (had been waiting for 5 minutes)

I don't know if I should get it now or wait for the eventual "GOTY edition" that includes all the DLC

Onmyo magic may only affect cast time. I went with a spirit/magic build and after reaching about 30 magic, I could double cast shot magics and almost instant cast weapon enhancements.

I'm fairly sure the moment talisman scales with spirit or guardian spirit bond. My raging purple bull is feeling very overpowered in the sixth region.

nope that's not it. Forgot I had a headpiece that increases casting speed which was the cause of my fast casting.

i didn't expect that to be so funny

Which techniques are those? I feel all I've grabbed in spears is shit.

played all three demos and loved
today I finally got hands on a physical version since it has been sold out everywhere

literally started the game 1 sec ago can't wait to finally play again as 1kat/onryoki mask-ninja

I fucking love Axe. High Stance's heavy attack is perfect for punishing Yokai.

i haven't tried axe since the demos but i'm glad it didn't end up being shit for being the only heavy weapon this game has

how satisfying

im playing this for the first time today and im a little bit disappointed. it feels like a worse dark souls or demon souls

I find it pretty enjoyable. The last boss is a bit of a let down, but overall it's a solid 8/10 game

They could have thought this one through a little better

I wonder if Spirit is the key stat for magic and Skill is the key stat for ninjutsu?

sounds like ur getting ur ass beat and making excuses ;)

Is there a way to know if your revenant shoved their weapons up someone's wazoo?

dex is the key stat for ninjutsu

So ninjutsu scales better off of dex than onmyo scales off of magic?

the combat feels awkward and moving and feels awkward too

Ninjutsu doesn't really scale period from what I can tell. Dex raises ninjutsu power which does jack all near as I can tell.

Well the menu explicitly says Dexterity is the ninjutsu stat, it gives you ninjutsu points and everything

As far as I can tell though it mostly just lets you restore more ninjutsu items per checkpoint, haven't noticed any significant scaling yet. Then again I didn't notice good Skill scaling until 25-30 points into the stat, maybe you just need to invest a lot for it to matter

honestly it seems like ninjutsu/onmyo power are just stats for weapons/armor to scale off of.
Even with a 40 point dex investment you're only going to be doing about 200 points with a kunai, and 300 with the second stage bomb. The mega isn't even worth it honestly, I'm seeing more damage off a cannon shot than a mega even if they all hit.

Landing iai strikes feels like coming home

Gravity Rush 2
World of Final Fantasy
Dragon Quest Builders
Bloodborne
Nioh
As far as non ps4/vita exclusives there's also Nier Automata and Berserk: Band of the Hawk

Basically, same as PS3, PS4 is for weeb games and if that's not your thing, then dunno what to tell you

Has anyone found the best shortcut to him? There's no way you're supposed to go through three minutes of flipping hidden walls every single time

you only need to do 2 flip walls if you take the right path takes like 30 seconds

half the reason i eat so much shit is because i can't seem to get my living weapon to activate, is it turned off or something? its tough to read what that meter means sometimes

Are mimics diff'rent than tanuki? Cause tanuki jump out of chests, take your form, and then do an emote. If you do the same emote that they do, they'll drop like 2x as much loot as killing them, and then leave.

oh i didn't know that, that's awesome

I got him on the next try so I guess it isn't that big of a deal, but I still feel like I missed something, no shortcut before this one has had an enemy on the route

I don't think I noticed she even had two phases, seemed like more or less the same attack pattern the whole time. Only problem I had was it took a little bit to recognize the signal for her anime teleport impale move
It should be pulsing if you can do a living weapon move

The thing that keeps getting me is when she starts chaining ice strikes in the second phase.

Got a Tengu Visor from a side-mission in the fourth region that looks like what you're asking for.

I'm doing a mostly Ki build but I have pumped a bit of points into Dex and Mag for variety, I'll probably have my next significant push be in Spirit tho. I always just wanted use to the Ninjutsu/Onmyo stuff as secondary attacks anyway, amidoinitrite?

turns out i was reading the meter wrong, i had to leave and i'm back on the boss again, i always drop the ball near the end and the fire dog charges to slow to get to use it during the fight so i'll switch back to double-doggos again or something so i can at least use my spirit to finish her off

this is the first boss i've been stuck on in like, any game in ages but i'm not even mad because i know its just a combination of my light ass armor and my own fuckups

just beat ice bitch, that was fun although i fucked up a lot

I wouldn't put too much stock in the Living Weapons unless you're putting points into Spirit or whatever the stat is, you can do just as well using fire talismans in that fights. You'll also get a fire-tiger guardian spirit in a sub-mission in that area that's a little better than Okami

Putting points into spirit (at least until 8) it's worth it because the guardian spirit gives you passive benefits when you have a certain amount of spirit (more poise damage, less stamina consumption when dodging, extra HP…). You get 3 of the 4 upgrades at 8 spirit. The last one is at 11.

Since i'm doing a ninja build, i need to get all the benefits and buffs i can, and investing 4 points in spirit for those extra goodies it's worth it.

Does anyone if there are specific requirements to get equipment available to forge and refashion?

I've had armor pieces that didn't show up in Refashion, so picking stuff up doesn't seem to be enough, and as far as Forge goes, I know for certain that you don't always need smithing texts. Do I just need to complete more missions?

*Does anyone know

What do the hiragumo fragments do? I must've missed one when the spider dropped it or maybe it fell off a cliff or something.

Just wait till you get to the post game

You should get them automatically after killing the spiders, not as an item drop. There were six total and I think they're only for background details

Fuck

one of them is really hidden, you have to shoot a egg that's hanging off a tower. There are 6 in total, all you get is some background and an achievement

What do you have to do get a better chance of forging purple armor and weapons. I've got plenty of "highest quality" forging materials but the percentage still seems too low.

Some of the later guardian spirits require a a higher spirit level to unlock all their abilities.

They are drops though.

I found all the spiders, I just lost the drop. I've redone the level now anyway. If nothing else I got a trophy.

Mel Gibson would be proud.
youtube.com/watch?v=3eRxPDLYM9Q

Refashion preview patch when?

NEW THREAD GUYS