FMJ

So I'm watching Full Metal Jacket for the first time since High school when I was in ROTC and about the join the military. Several years later, a few of my friends have died in service and I have rewatched the film. Holy shit, I always thought this was Kubricks most "normal" film and had the least occult symbolism going on but I was very wrong. I never noticed the Vietcong flag draped in the corners like this, the red and black, the inverted pentagram and the flames flickering beneath. anyone else notice shit in this film that I haven't ? I know theres one scene where a Vietnamese billboard translates to english: To continuously serve Satan, your excellency, but I havent noticed much else.

>>>/film/

Don't mind our mutt redditors, they can't help themselves but talk all the time about star wars or harry potter. It's in their genes.

I can't say myself I ever spotted anything mystic buried in a movie, but please do tell more about FMJ. It's been a long time.

I never noticed that
Same with the flag tbh
Nice finds OP
I wonder if bootcamp part has any hidden symbolism in it

I've heard Full Metal Jacket: Brotherhood is much better, since it follows the plot of the original comics more closely

you should watch kubrick then, i would almost hate to spoil anything for you.

lol

I didnt notice the billboard myself tbh I read about it online after googling the inverted star thing. I swear seeing that made me shit my pants.

on a more obvious level the fires around them, the black and red /inverted pentagram flag and the dying gook girl make it clear that the scene is basically jokers descent into hell, really its the whole squads descent into hell, but joker seems to be the only one who realizes it and is horrified by it. the others have all either become jaded to it all, like the black guy, or maniacally laughing about it, like the machine gunner guy, giving in fully to their inner evil.

but on another level I think the scene is supposed to represent a Satanic ritual of some kind. The burning fire, the black temple-like building where they kill a child on the summit, and the act of killing a child itself are all reminiscent of the rites of Moloch described by the Romans during the Punic wars and in the Kings of the Bible. the soldiers all stand around the dying 14 year old sniper gook girl , like some sorta pentagram position. I noticed this position done earlier before with cowboys death and the death of the two soldiers where the machine gunner guy says "better you than me". I think its making a comparison between war and human sacrifice, almost as if war itself is human sacrifice on a large scale.

thats just my thoughts on what kubrick is trying to say at least

When does this happen?

Eye's wide shut was a legit spooky movie.
Polanski's Rosemary's baby was like that too.

War as a great bloody sacrifice, I like it.

There are even some theories that they or some of them are already. You know the scene where Animal introduces Joker to his dead gook "friend"? Between cuts the dead body shifts positions. Some may claim this is due to simple errors on the directors part, but Kubrick was infamous for his attention to detail and the lengths he would go to for perfect takes. The dead body shifts multiple times as well which I believe makes it even more likely to be intentional on Kubricks part.

already dead*

My impression of it was that war was pure insanity, the first act was about molding people into a form insane enough to cope with the things they'll be doing, next act is the proving and final act is the culmination, all the senseless death and destruction.

Nice blogpost, faggot

That's why the fat-kid at camp killed himself. They tried to twist this nice naive jesus-loving guy into a killing machine but couldn't, he went insane instead and decided to kill himself.

The Bridge on the River Kwai did a much better job honestly

Watch Rob Ager's take on it.

>>>/gay/

>>>/zacharykeithhasbrouck/

Loved Ager's stuff. A shame the majority of it is behind a paywall now.

I have never seen anyone as butthurt as you before. It's amazing.

My top lolcow honestly

Return of the Cedi?

Return of the Chad

Hey Zach.

explain this

Kubrick put symbolism in everything, which either was prolific or really cool. I've yet to decide but it's neat that directors in the old days had power to crate like that. Now everything is a basic cable TV premise with different filters.

Fascists openly admire power and advocate for hierarchy; communists at least pay lip service to empowering common people.

Hierarchy isnt bad or an Illuminati construct though. All human societies must have some form of social cohesion to maintain order. Without order there is nothing but bedlam and chaos. And the fascists did empower the common people; just not the Jewish ones, and not in retarded ways like Libertarians would empower the people. Communists said they would, and then made their empire into a Czarist nightmare dystopia.

They still put symbolism in shit if you look for it it's just so clumsy and obvious when you see it you aren't interested or impressed. The problem is movies are now made by cinematographers and a bunch of corporate execs rather than directors with some artistic idea they're passionate about. I'm convinced Kubrik's movies aren't about their plots they're about all the shit he wasn't supposed to say which is why he hid messages in them. It's either an elaborate joke or a warning.

its a warning user, watch eyes wide shut. and then laugh at anyone who still thinks pizzagate isnt real.

otherwise yeah youre right, I notice symbolism in movies still, but its always clumsy, on the nose and usually making some dumb point about racism or something.

he has a quote about how most movies are just stage plays when you can do a lot more with film than is being done (at the time) , im not sure what he meant by it because im a brainlet re film analysis

Alright what are some symbolism in some modern movies. Let's take a movie everyone on Holla Forums saw, 2049. I don't see symbolism in anything tbqh famalam.

uhhhhhhhhhhhh
the giant pink lady represents how Ryan Gosling is a cuckold that is dominated by giant women?

I honestly couldnt tell you, Ridley kinda seems like hes losing his edge tbf. Prometheus had alot of potential for symbolism but there either wasnt any, or it was very on the nose (HEY GUYS , HAVE YOU HEARD OF THE DYING GOD ARCHETYPE? I JUST FINISHED THE WIKIPEDIA ARTICLE ON CARL JUNG)

I didn't see it but "JOI" is pretty obvious.

user, my top lolcow is Zach. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

Kubrick's films are always fun watch precisely because of the amount of hidden information he puts into every project.