THE ONE TRUE ACE COMBAT THREAD

EVERYTHING WE KNOW ABOUT AC7 SO FAR [CONSTANTLY UPDATED]
pastebin.com/k3AQQvEB
NEW TO ACE COMBAT?
Ace Combat is a series of arcade-y dogfighting sims where you pilot a multitude of fictional and real planes in various conflicts in the alternate world of Strangereal. This game isn't like other flight sims such as DCS world or EF2000, in that it doesn't strive for an absurd amount of realism in its flight model. Instead, Ace Combat is all about fun. Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown is the latest game in the series and will be releasing on the PC, PS4, and Xbone in 2017 with PSVR support.
If you want to try out the series, grab the latest PCSX2 build from here and use the settings pictured (or if you know what you're doing feel free to raise your graphics settings however you want): buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/index.php
or grab a PS2 and play Ace Combat 04, 5, and 0. Those are the best of the series and if you enjoy them you'll enjoy the rest. If you have an Xbox 360 then grab Ace Combat 6 (It doesn't run on Xenia yet). See the chart for any other games you may want to try.
DON'T HAVE ONE OF THE GAMES?
Well here you go:
Air Combat (Easily skippable but worth playing if you want to see where it all began):
mega.nz/#!hdNmFZDY!YpX7FmCVsIohCRz63Suc47Olo6iJ05YAouzHbaKBIZY
Ace Combat 2:
mega.nz/#!ZRdV0agY!j9jZn2vFLzCl9bBCdE70WfbaUVBLmI_0gUVkKyTCeuY
Ace Combat 3 Electrosphere:
mega.nz/#!tIEhCbwT!VdffqXxEDpPLdXzz5GJm-LKTHlIP7ZZZiR9GybsFX14
Ace Combat 04 Shattered Skies:
mega.nz/#!NdVREDYJ!dyqiVVFiDkKgmPntWYgMBFpuTAPzr9vatDh5FVToJy4
Ace Combat 5 The Unsung War:
mega.nz/#!UNMmjL4A!LZZrDurory6YLs_6N7fWmj9XoAENrQboEJAtWeGe6rM
Ace Combat 0 The Belkan War:
mega.nz/#!cF1zRLiY!t1tVj7i3Oy9l9zirj40eUC-uqzRxNUj5RWrFpGixJ7k
EXTRA SHIT
Aces at War artbook:
mega.nz/#!j45AgabB!rCUE-drpxSpEO65gSfL_LR3Lk9MDRLzffMoeYAsujqs
Complete Soundtracks of every single Ace Combat game:
mega.nz/#!1Q9CkCBQ!-k18FqzQVauxQBT5Fkx7F_69dsopYyftR6uUb5hWi54
Project Wingman (Fanmade game inspired by Ace Combat):
rb-d2.itch.io/wingman
Open Horizon (Open source implementation of Assault Horizon's renderer and physics with DFM removed, will eventually be able to play all earlier PS2/360 AC levels and custom maps):
zxstudio.org/blog/author/razgriz/

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/games/257030/announcements/
dsogaming.com/news/alpha-build-available-for-download-for-flight-action-game-inspired-by-ace-combat-project-wingman/
twitter.com/SEGA_Europe/status/823947011154149376
archive.is/5urA3
twitter.com/Snakepebete/status/806605823745081344
imgur.com/a/2rUST
youtube.com/watch?v=hfV8dMStkBU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

PJ DID NOTHING WRONG

How well does Ace Combat 3 holds up?

I'd say it holds up fairly well. plotwise it's on-par with the holy trinity, and gameplay-wise it's still quite good too.

I just got Assault Horizon, what am I i-
I should've known getting that steam code first was too good to be true.

Latest trailer.

The only good thing about that game is the use of native languages in the aircrafts.
Also some songs.

Even though it's just an extended version of the first trailer, I fucking love this. It's getting me so hyped.

GALM TEAM REPORTING IN

Did one of these games have a specific rival that was dangerous for you to fight for most of the game?

And I mean a hard AI not something you could just pick up and go on

The 8492nd squadron in AC5 fits that description pretty well.

Almost all of them do, but it might not be challenging enough for you if you're looking for a balls to the wall, out-manuevers you at every turn in every game. 5 and 0 are fairly difficult, though.

Just finished Ace Combat 04, amazing.

time for Ace Combat 5. One question though, does gunplay improve at all? I noticed that I was using missiles 99% of the time with guns being hard to control.

Ace Combat 3
sexy RF-12a2, gotta go fast
Mig-31, need to go fast
2, 3, 4, 5, Zero, X (the only ones I played)
CUM
CUM

Reminder that AC0 is the best of the holy trinity. Razgriz vult

There is the Yellow Squadron in AC4 who are consistently harder to defeat.

Using the gun in AC5 is a lot easier than the other games. As is using missiles.

I want the soundtrack so hard

WHICH KIND OF ACE ARE YOU??

Knight, of course

Reminder that the trailers show an airbase right next to Stonehenge.

Mercenary, I don't care if it is edgy

Quit blowing your load, just wait. We don't need a fucking weekly general when nobody here even plays Infinity.

i'm fine with that

航空機は用意だ!

fuk u

Bamco just uploaded some screenshots to Facebook and there's some new ones among them

Here's a few more screenshots I haven't seen on these threads yet

That mechanical pilot thing (or whatever it is) freaks me out.

I think it's some prototype COFFIN system

What is best mission in the entire Ace Combat series?

Is X2 worth playing, or just ignore?

There are much better games in the series, but if you have nothing else to play then go for it.

Ignore it, it's a shittier X not set in Strangereal so don't bother.

I'm on my first playthrough, it's pushing me towards Knight.

Either Comona, Zero, or Chandelier

user
————
>

I wanna talk about my experiences with Ace Combat 5, screw you aniki

Which Ace Combat is a good place to start? I have my friends copy of zero that I can rip to my PC but I was wondering if I should play 4 or 5 first.

also is it possible to set up my pc flight stick for the emulator with this game, I'd love to play it like that.

Zero is a good place to start. I would normally say to play in release order but 4 has the worst gameplay. Why bother ripping? You should be able to map stuff to a flight stick but I don't know how the throttle would behave since it's supposed to be mapped to buttons. There was an official flight stick but there's no option to emulate it and I don't know if it behaved any different from a normal controller.

I didn't even know we had an Ustio flag.

SEE?

I told you fags these kinds of questions are all we'd see in this thread

Hide the thread if it triggers you so much.

So new people are playing the games, why is that such a bad thing? This series deserves more recognition.

But it's so easy to figure out which games to play, plus people should be only playing in production order to begin with.

user, I know you're upset, but you could just, you know, not care. I know AC threads haven't had anything meaningful for the longest time now, but even then I just close the tab and go do something else.

Like I'm about to do right now.

Some interesting quotes translated from some Spanish article.

What the fuck is the deal with the image of the PCSX2 plugin? Last thread it had a different renderer and didn't have the hacks screenshot. These ones seem to work a little better with AC4 as they don't have the vertical lines like the DX11 renderer but there are still some artefacts and my planes all black. Is there still some piece missing from the OP that'll make it work better?

AC4 has issues no matter what. The only way to play it perfectly is to run it in software mode. The settings in the OP are mainly for AC5 and Zero.

Well why the hell isn't that in the OP as well? Putting the plugin in software mode seems to indeed get rid of the graphical glitches. Am I going to run into some game breaking bug later on or something?

No, software mode just doesn't look as pretty and requires a better CPU. If you have the CPU for it, there's nothing wrong with software mode.

Guess I'll just run in software mode then at least at the start. Both the tutorial and the start of the first mission seemed to run at 100% but I'm guessing it gets crazier later. I've got a 2500k running at 4.3GHz which isn't exactly the high-end. I'd rather have it look a little blurry than have all the visual glitches.

Doesn't software mode cause the terrain issues? I used hardware mode and just stayed in first person mode.

Nope, that was all in hardware mode.

Have some OC

The journey begins
starts from within
things that I need to know

The song of the bird
Echoed in words
Flying for the need to fly

It's bad.

That's pretty neat. I wondered how they would handle drone/AI flying vs supposed human flying

Image source?

Boku no Reverse Image Search

Didn't work.

you're full of shit

Fuck you too.

WOWEE LOOK AT HOW HARD THIS IS.

Holla Forums sings The Journey Home WHEN

You can't reverse image search via url with 8ch links. Codemonkey blocked googles crawlers since they filtered out 8ch from their search engine.

Ok, thanks for info.

I really hope we get squadron intros like this in Ace Combat 7. It really makes these fights seem even more important when we know who we're fighting.

Not sure if AC6 had them because i didn't play it but AHL had so i think it's safe to assume that it will.
YELLOW SQUADRON 2 - THE ERUSIAN BOOGALOO

>yfw vs. MOBIUS SQUADRON

AC6 didn't have them.

NEVER FORGET THE MUTILATION OF BELKA

FUCK YOU OSEA

It better be either robots that fly like Mobius One, or ace pilots who are disciples of Mobius One. If its the same Mobius Squadron from 4, I don't feel scared. I had to fight the entire yellow squadron or else all the other Mobius planes got obliterated

BELKA WILL RISE AGAIN
OSEAN PIG-DOGS GET FUCKED

Belka couldn't even hold radioactive clay, what hope do they have to regain when they lost?

Does anyone know which ISOs are specifically needed for the nemo patches? tho ones I downloaded didn't work.

I just grabbed mine from Emuparadise, though half the time my download is corrupt and I need to do it twice. I used v1.1 but I don't think it matters for the patch to work.

Make sure you use ecm extractor to unpack the files (if they end in .ecm)

Belkan backed invasion of ISAF nations by Erusea when

Whenever Sapins Armadura becomes playable.

Ass Horizon had a hell of a soundtrack. And yes, it was cool hearing missile warnings in other languages. Part of me is glad they used some of those tracks in Infinity. Another part of me wishes Infinity wasn't so soul crushingly F2P so I could enjoy the damn thing.

The worst part is that the final squadron you fight to reach the Megalith aren't even legitimate Yellows, they're nuggets, albeit nuggets with some potential, who stole some Terminators and had them painted in Yellow Squadron's camo. ISAF sent Mobius 1 on Operation Katina by himself because they didn't want any more casualties.

But hey, at least they put up a fight. Sometimes the allied AI score some clean hits.

You want it to be readable, user

Soo, I'm new to the series and I only have a PC.

What's so bad about Assault Horizon? Serious question.

Helicopters and and locking into chase things
it's just bad

Do you want your jet-fighting game to have on rails shooting?
If you answer yes, go to bed.

Any good non-emulator PC game for the series?
The only game I played was some PS2-only one that was fun, but I couldn't even beat the first fucking mission because lolPCSX2 get a better CPU.

Nope. AC7 will be the first if it's good.

I remember thinking it wasn't that horrible. But before that I had only played the US version of 3. I just finished playing through the trinity so I'll replay Assault Horizon and see how it compares.

I've been ignoring everything about 7 because I just assumed it would only be on consoles. Why didn't anyone tell me sooner?

Because it was only announced as a multiplat release a week ago. Before that it was only confirmed for PS4, and it seemed like a PC port would only happen after the initial release.

It was only announced for PS4 back in 2015. Everyone assumed it was an exclusive until Jan. 26th, when they revealed that it's a multiplat.

Nope, many people were just expecting a later port.

Never mind what I said about it not being horrible. My impression of 3 was that you spend the whole game chasing guys down and spamming missiles at them. Compared to that the dogfight mode provided a little more variety I guess, but after playing the trinity I can see just how dogshit it is.

Is Romeo and Juliet dogshit?

Yes.

I haven't played a single Ace Combat game ever. Where do I start?

Should I play an Ace Combat game on the console or on the PC?

I just bought Ace Combat 04, what am i in for? (First AC that i play)
Also fuck Mark

Depends on what you have available to you. There's no real overarching plot so you don't have to worry about that. The most continuity the games have is occasional references and all of them sharing the same universe.

If you have an emulation-capable PC or PS2:
Play the holy trinity first. Starting with 4 if you have a PS2 and starting with 5 if you have a PC.

If you don't have a PS2 but have a PS1 or a PC:
Start with the Japanese version of 3. It recently got fully translated to english so you can enjoy it in all its glory.

If you don't have a PS3, PS2, PS1, or a PC but you have a Xbox 360:
Play Ace Combat 6. As the image in the OP says, it's dangerously cheesy, but the gameplay is still solid.

If you only have a 3DS for some reason:
Try Assault Horizon Legacy. It's a pretty damn good remake of Ace Combat 2.

If you only have a PSP for some reason:
Try out Ace Combat X. It's by no means the best of the series, but it's still good.

If you own a PS2 then play the holy trinity on there. However if you don't have access to that then it's perfectly fine to emulate them. If you have the computing power to play the games in HD then I would recommend emulating them as well.

Ever seen Top Gun? Well now you are THE Top Gun. These games are wild fucking rides from start to finish.

Which one is ALL MOBIUS AIRCRAFT, REPORT IN

That's Ace Combat 4, where you play as Mobius 1. Interestingly, a lot of the games like to somewhat flesh out the in-game squadrons with actual patches, names, numbers, and intros (Unfortunately 4 doesn't do this, but hey we still have Mobius and Yellow squadrons)

Refer to this chart

I honestly don't see what's good about AC4. It seems like it's ok at best really. The flying feels heavy and sluggish in a way that I don't appreciate and there's very little story. Half-way through the story and there hasn't been any crazy interesting things happening either. I really feel like just watching a quick walkthrough of it to see it what it's about instead of dealing with either 80% emulation speed or some major graphical glitches. I tried AC5 quickly in the arcade mode or whatever it's called and that seemed a whole lot better. Rocking quitars, much more enthusiastic and talented voice acting, looks better graphically and feels much more responsive and fun just like I expect from an arcade flying game. Reminded me a little of After Burner right away which is a good thing.

By reading the OP, where that question is answered.

Which mission are you up to user? Shit gets real after mission 7. And mission 8 will satisfy your Top Gun boner

Are you a real Mobius 1?

Didn't you enjoy the thrill of trying to get rank S on Comona? Or are you perhaps an Erusian Pilot?

I think 8 is when they launch the satellite right? That's the last one I've done. I just don't enjoy the flying enough to deal with the technical problems I think. I guess the problems I have with the flight model might be related to the slow emulation but I've also seen people saying that AC4 is on a different engine and feels slower and heavier compared to the later game because of that.

The problem I've always had with arcade glying games is that if they aren't crazy enough I just can't enjoy them because honestly the whole press button for lock, press button for missile launch and wait for the hit while occasionally pulling very hard to evade a missile seems like it's pretty boring in itself if the flight model isn't fun and allow for some unrealistic cool shit. That was the only thing I enjoyed about HAWX and its assist off mode or whatever the fuck it was. It just feels like I'm playing on autopilot and there's very little actual skill involved, probably because I'm used to simulator like games where the act of flying itself has more to it and you can't just go full pull on the stick. Am I supposed to be playing on hard to uncage the AI or something? Am I supposed to care about the end of mission rank like is implying? Ranks aren't typically something I care about in any game.

Are you playing it on a toaster?

i5 2500k @ 4.3GHz, 970 GTX and 8 GB RAM. I run it in software mode because hardware mode gives me graphical glitches like black models and massive sprite glitches in the sky even when configured properly. I'm aware that the slowdown is because of software mode but I don't really want to play with the graphical glitches either but I guess I'll try it to see if it feels better that way and try to deal with the glitches.

AC5 and 0 fortunately don't have these issues. It's a shame that it still lingers in 4

Yeah. I tried hardware mode a little bit more and I just can't be fucked. I think it's the sun's sprite that completely covers the screen when it's anywhere in the view. The ground textures flicker, the text is occasionally almost illegible and there's some other visual bugs. On top of that the flying doesn't feel that much better without the slowdown. I'll just check out the rest of the missions on Youtube since I'm already down this far and then move on to 5 which seems like a much more enjoyable experience. Maybe I'll return to 4 if they ever figure out the rest of the emulation to see if I appreciate it more after playing the rest of the series.

My sides

Try software mode inside cockpit view.

God damn I had fun playing ace combat 4 as a wee cunt.

I remember we couldn't beat the last mission where you had to deathstar-run through the missile base until I randomly decided to play the starter plane mostly out of frustration, and you don't actually have to fight because your allies tie up the baddies, and the starter plane moved slow so I was able to navigate the death star channel and beat it.

Mother fucking F-4 Phantom foiled the ambitions of a superpower

CUM HISTORIA

No, 3 is slow and heavy. 4 is pretty close to 5 and 0. It's probably related to your emulation. Play on a PS2 until 4's emulation is fixed. You're not going to get a crazy story with M. Night Shamaladingdong Tweeeeests but it should be an interesting war story. Have they started firing Stonehenge at you yet?

Motherfucker, slow down. You should be able to do that with any plane, you have full throttle control. You even have an autopilot button.

What AC4 doesn't have is the high g maneuver system that I think AC5 introduces and Zero continues. You can still brake and shit to tighten your turning radius but it's not specifically coded in. Vector Thrust lets you do the really crazy shit, but sadly it's not nearly as good as Ace Combat.

Man I'm fucking so bummed about Vector Thrust. Looked so good and then the bottom just fell out. Apparently there's still a bunch of bugs and it's just generally in very rough shape even though it supposedly launched a long time ago. I can also appreciate that attention to detail but I feel like the dev should've dedicated time to something else than adding all the variants of every aircraft family. 15 different types of F-15s is cool and all but quality over quantity.

High-G turning was introduced in AC6. It wasn't in 5 or 0.

Oh shit really? My bad then, I haven't had a chance to play through zero and 5 yet.

I had high hopes for it. Really high hopes.

That looks fucking rad.

I haven't been keeping up with Project Nimbus since it came to EA on Steam. Has it been progressing? It's been on EA for a long ass time.

I really hope it turns out ok

Its made by a really small team but it sure looks like it, they finished mission 20 recently, they're about to add a cockpit view and they're allowing doujin games based on the engine/game.
steamcommunity.com/games/257030/announcements/

I'm trying to forget about armored core user, this isn't helping.

But user, its last entry was a mere 4 years ago and From has already confirmed a new title is in the works.

Dual gear is also looking good and has a steam release

Bump

LONG LIVE BELKA

What does Belka think of Erusea?

ERUSEA IS RIGHTFUL BELKAN CLAY

What does Belka think of Gracemeria?

Stop, Belkaposters are annoying.

That's a strange way of spelling "rightful Belkan clay"

How big of a deal is it when a country loses a plane in combat? Obviously it costs to have it manufactured and time to produce a new one. But when all your references are RTS games then my understanding gets distorted. How much of a setback is it when an army loses a high tech vehicle like a plane?

Realistically or in Strangereal fiction? depends on the economy, industrial and manufacturing ability of a country, there was several art books that also detail about the world where planes can get destroyed in the thousands and you can still see them rolling out and then gets shot down.

Decided to try this shit again.
I'm starting with 5, should I play with with english or nip audio?

Really the bigger deal is the loss of the pilot. You can replace the plane in however long it takes to make a modern jet, probably a month or something I'd guess depending on how much of it is automated, but it takes much longer to train a new pilot from scratch and it's not cheap to do either. If you're in war, losing a single plane shouldn't be an issue and if it is then you're not going to be in war for a whole lot longer because losses are inevitable in war.

The Germans and Japanese had the same exact problem by near the end of the war.

Actually now that I think about it I have no idea how long it takes to build a fighter jet. Building an airliner like the 747 takes a couple of years but the amount of materials and the size of the project is much bigger. According to a "How it's made video" I found, an 18-wheeler takes around 100 hours of work. A fighter jet is a bigger project than an 18-wheeler but probably not as big as an airliner and when you're making military equipment mass production is important though so I assume the process is pretty well optimized.

Closer to a year. F-22s took a year and a half.

A modern air war between two real nations would last five or seven weeks by USAF estimate, so the question isn't really how many airframes you can afford to lose, it's how many replacements you can get flying before you lose critical mass and get overwhelmed.

Losing the first fighter isn't a big deal, there's spares. Losing the fiftieth isn't that bad, you're still bringing in squadrons from the other side of the country. Losing the two hundredth is starting to become a problem but you can strip the training squadrons. Losing the five hundredth you can start digging into the boneyard but they've been sitting in a desert/tundra for twenty years, do you really have time to get them functional again?

You mean it takes a year to manufacture a single operational jet? I'm not wondering about prototyping, designing and testing but rather when everything's already set in stone and you need to just crank those motherfuckers out. The time it takes from the start of the manufacturing line at the factory to the end when it rolls out and is technically flight ready. I guess it's kinda of pointless to think about since if you're at war in modern setting you're not relying on manufacturing and instead relying on warehouses full of equipment stored for the rainiest day.

Yeah, a year and half to manufacture each airframe. Jets are complicated.

That's pretty fucked up. Really makes you think about the economy of war, the idea of attrition and the effect it has even during peacetime.

depends on the country. Juggernauts like the USA don't even bat an eye unless it's an absurdly expensive airframe like the B-2. However, smaller countries with lesser manufacturing capability will hurt a lot more.

That's one of the only good arguments for European military integration. Besides France, Germany, and the UK, none of the other European countries can field a decently sized air force on their own.

It's shit.

Should probably mention, you can see it in the video but there's regenerating health. And no, they don't even bother with some BS about nanomachines or whatever that explains how a jet plane can regenerate.

Nah UK is in the shit tier too.

Honestly, none of them are great. But the UK can field more fighters than most other European countries. Plus they've got those swanky new carriers even though they're not nuclear-powered, which is fucking stupid, since carriers' mission is force projection.

The choice of music is pretty shit as well.
This reminds me when DFM sent me down in to the ground and the nose of my plane was stuck for a bit skidding around before exploding.

I was like 12

Ace Combat 1 is more fun than what i recalled, the game has a certain timeless charm to it like MGS and other such games.
Also has anyone played Air Combat 22?

Daily reminder that the UK, Germany, Spain, Austria, and Italy teamed up to create a 4.5gen fighter that is somehow more expensive than many 5th gen fighters while offering inferior capability. Not only that, but it was delayed for over a decade and still hasn't delivered its full planned air-to-ground capability over a year after entering service.

In my opinion the music was one of the only things Ass Horizon got right.

Shit I meant to say over 10 years after entering service.

Sure, but for the final climax battle against your ultimate rival the music sucked.
It lacks the punch the other games final battle music has.

Hey. Hey. So, is Ace Combat Infinity alright?

We don't talk about that here, son.

The disappointment from finding out its f2p still hurts, but from what I've heard it's alright, just really grind-y.

I still remember when every fucking franchise needed to have a F2P game even if it was dead and buried.
Good times, still don't know how can people say that its getting worse when shit like that happened and was the norm.

Project Wingman just got an Alpha release by the way.
dsogaming.com/news/alpha-build-available-for-download-for-flight-action-game-inspired-by-ace-combat-project-wingman/

Has it stopped?

So uh, nobody has played Air Combat 22?

Yeah, devs/publishers are no longer trying to go for the mobile market with their F2P releases of their established franchises instead opting to do mobile versions and making actual P2P with DLC and sometimes microtransactions of course games.
At least outside China

I would say it's getting worse because publishers/devs realized that they didn't need to make games f2p to justify a cash shop. People will pay to win even in full price games, just look at the Halo series now.

it's an f2p game so it suffers from f2p shit
the resdesigned SOLG it has needs to be used if they ever remake the unsung war, though

lame

But they did both back in 2012 so its a slight improvement.

Mame says that it doesn't work but it seemed to work okay with only some graphical glitches. I only played for a minute though.

The graphics are fucking amazing for a 1993 game, was it fun?

It's barely a SHMUP. Also the only good strafe and shoot giant robot games are the Another Century's Episode games because they have giant robots from my favorite animes.

I never said it was a SHMUP you idiot, I was making a point that your exclamation describes pretty much 90% of SHMUPS out there and that describing shit like that is fucking idiotic.

Boring button mashing
Boring clickfest
Boring selection screens
Spreadsheet Sim
Sneaking is boring

Not really. I think the throttle controls might be broken because I was braking no matter what.

You aren't wrong about any of those :^)

Do we have the music from the trailer yet? I'm getting tired of listening to the same 20 seconds over and over.

I'm getting pumped for a game way past current year. This is going to end in tears.

It probably requires some weird preripheral, what a shame.

It also has some amazing music

I figured out it was because I was pushing the stick all the way forward. I'm using a 360 controller with the right analog stick y set to throttle and pushing it forward would increase speed up until halfway and then it would go back to the default speed while pushing it backwards did nothing. Maybe fiddling with the deadzone and sensitivity it could work properly. Also I don't think there's a button to switch targets and there's only easy controls where you use the stick to turn instead of banking.

Air Combat 22 is from 1995. Air Combat, the original arcade one, was from 1992. I played the original in an old arcade years ago. Was fun.

Whoops, I mean 1993.

Solid controls and they've improved the missions over time. The grind is still a fucking terror.

Upside
Missions are point-based team v team matches to see who can drop the most generating targets in 5:00. The flying is fantastic, the surprise missions are fucking great (super weapon runs from various points in the series—Stonehenge, Excalibur, that big gunship from Zero, etc). The campaign is also pretty solid, if incredibly lightweight.

Downside
The grind is fucking treacherous, even with all the various improvements. It's been 3 years so traffic likely has dropped, meaning pub matches are a bitch. You'd have to find folks to host daily rooms. I think they upped the free fuel output so you should be able to get in 6 free flights a day—after that, you pay for fuel.

This is the part where people groan, but 4/vg/ I think still has a dedicated general where people form up rooms to play. I don't know if it's still active cause I bailed on 4chan ages ago. They also have a Steam group but I forget the address.

Infinity is good enough to keep your beak wet for the AC7 release.

I'll be getting a PS3 soon, so if there's enough interest I'd love to play some infinity with you all till AC7 comes out.

I wouldn't mind dabbling, but I don't have a PS3. Sorry.

Can't blame you there. Damn thing has no games.

user, he said PS3 not PS4

With Nioih, PS4 has two games now.

*Nioh

I've yet to play 3. What made the nip version so much better than the gaijin one?

The US version had a shitty translation, fewer missions, and took out the branching story that the Japanese version had.

Plot

It's not really about cost and more about reputation.

Americans flipped their shit when the Serbs shot down a STEALTH fighter jet with nothing but a cell phone and SAMs. It basically made their plane look like an overpriced piece of shit.

They chopped out three of the four branches (each of which had 20+ missions), removed all the cutscenes and dialog, and then went back and further fucked up the remnants.

* n-oh games

I disagree. While there is certainly a reputation aspect to it, cost and manufacturing capability is certainly the deciding factor. It would be idiotic for our military to let reputation decide what aircraft we acquire. If that were the case, then the F-16 and F-15 would never have even entered service For those not in the know: The LWF and F-X programs back in the 70s that produced the F-16 and F-15 had very similar reputations to what the F-35 and F-22 have today

Not to mention a significant amount of luck. They fired the missile without even getting a radar lock.

NoGame

Time to take off the nostalgia goggles user, Playstation having no games has been nothing new for a while.

What? Do you ever stop and read what you type before posting?

Anyone play the ace combat game on the 3ds? What is your opinion on it? Do you think its good?

It's pretty goo-
HERE COMES THE BOOM

I enjoyed it quite a bit. The depth perception really added to the experience in my opinion and the graphics are fine if you are used to old/portable games.

What really stops it from being a really good portable is the retarded maneuvers system. The game is designed to be played by staying close to an opponent until a gauge fills up at which time you press X Y so the game can play itself and put you right behind him. He will then usually just fly in a straight line and just let you kill him. You also use Y for dodge maneuvers which puts the enemy in front of you succeed in dodging a missile.

Turning maneuvers off is possible but the balancing remains and most opponents will thus toggle between a chase mode and a kill me mode. Basically the chase mode is supposed to make it a challenge just to stay close enough long enough to fill up your gauge, meaning actually getting behind him will basically be impossible. If you fly a jacked plane and look at the replays you can often see an enemy literally standing still in the air and rotate around like a fucking retard while you do circles around him. In chase mode they are basically programmed to have the turning radius of a penny while flying slow as fuck as a lazy ass way of making the enemy always seem able to turn inside you, and if you are fast and nimble enough you will essentially stop him from getting any momentum to go anywhere. If you stay on him enough he will eventually toggle to the second mode and just fly in a straight line and let you kill him. Other planes will also randomly drop in in front of you and just let you kill them from time to time.

Sometimes the planes will actually behave like planes and then you get a few seconds thinking about what the game could have been.

Assorted aces also have high-G turns so it is especially hilarious to target such with staggered volleys of QAAMs and regular missiles. The ace will literally have a fucking seizure on screen and flail around at supersonic speed for a good five seconds as he has to dodge one missile after the other. Then you get depressed because you remember it means no exiting dogfights.

The way I found enjoyment was using high-G as a substitute for flares, and only as such, and in dogfights instantly switching target if another plane in a more favorable trajectory flashed by. That kept the whole thing hectic and spontaneous instead of the monotonous going around in circles until he just gives up and lets you kill him. Also the music is from good to great. Just play it for the music if nothing else; some duels play out really nice thematically.

That's exactly how the Sky Crawlers game works.

Merely pretending, I'm sure.

Say what you want, doesn't change the facts.

Hey now, there's Yakuza 0. That's a solid three. Two more and it might be worth looking at. considering AC7 isn't exclusive that may never happen

Sega is going to announce those ports any day now.
Any day now…
twitter.com/SEGA_Europe/status/823947011154149376

I guess there's also Infamous, if you're into that. And I heard the new Ratchet & Clank was good.

Though I bought a used PS4 specifically for Yakuza 0 and AC7 before it was announced multi I still wouldn't mind it it did get a port. It's a great game, like god damn it's fun

I don't even care about Yakuza, I just want them to come out with anything at this point.
Either Vanquish or Shenmue 1/2, both of which have been already teased.

Second Son is kinda boring. I wish the powers were actually different instead of minor graphical changes and basically all the same ability. At least the TV power can make you invisible, but run real good as neon, shoot out of TVs/Vents as TV or Smoke and run not so good as Rock is boring, and every attack feels the same. The shooting is also kinda disappointing because they just stuck to different gun archetypes without the satisfaction. I was hoping for more unique shit. Basically if you've played Infamous 2, there's very little reason to play Second Son.

Never ever.

Fair enough. I never played it.

archive.is/5urA3

Sorta interesting interview about AC7 came out yesterday

You know Sega owns the rights to the property, right?

See

In what world does, "You can expect news" mean, "We're doing something involving a flop that nobody but autists on Holla Forums care about"?
I'd be happy to see a Vanquish PC port, too, user, but you should be careful not to substitute what you want to be true with the evidence before you.

Awkward dudes. Thanks for linking, though.

Christ, heres the fucking spoon
twitter.com/Snakepebete/status/806605823745081344

I chuckled

Needs PIXY
But otherwise pretty good.

Wait, meant * * PIXY * *
Need to remove the spaces.

Bump

STORY THEORY TIME
Judging from the latest trailer, the game will feature a double-narrative with two main characters. One will be an engineer or official working with the EASA on developing the COFFIN system we see in Ace Combat 3, the other will be an Osean/Erusian prisoner-mechanic working with Trigger's squadron, who will be named "Convict Squadron" and will be a top-secret squadron performing high-risk missions or a mercenary squadron. The superweapon in this game will be related to lighthouse in some way, possibly a directed energy weapon judging by Pic #2. Stonehenge will also be briefly brought back before being swiftly destroyed by Trigger. Mihaly is actually an older Pixy, or maybe even the player character from Zero (extremely unlikely, but the livery matches).

The AI is in the WO seat, not pilot.

So Vector Thrust is shit, then? Wanted to try it. How it is the game? How flawed it is?

If yes…so what game for PC can let me fly in moderm military aircraft, without being and autism-simulator, then?

Haha

Vector Thrust is okay, it just has absolutely shit balance and it's bugged to hell. Either pirate it or buy it when it's on sale.

Project Wingman, while it isn't a finished game yet, is pretty great and pretty close to a proper ace combat game. While it doesn't have real aircraft, Sky Rogue is pretty great too. That'll be pretty much all there is till AC7 comes out.

Bump

I fucking hate how the enemies are basically kites and can just hover in the air. Makes it tough to judge distances without staring at the distance counter the whole time when they can just suddenly stop in the air. Saw three F15 literally sit in on the tail of a friendly bomber and it looked like they were stopped when I flew up to them. Doesn't help that the mission is one of those that takes a long time no matter how you perform because it's up to the AI to crawl it's way to the objective.

Which Desert mission? I vaguely remember one being easier than the other but both are a pain in the ass.

is Infinity Worth playing?

wait nevermind, thought it was on PC

One where you need to escort a tank battallion and bombers on two different sides of the map, bouncing between the two while they get fucked by all sorts of shit. The main objective is to get 10000 points which is trivial and the real challenge is conserving you missiles so they last you the whole 20 minues or however long the timer is which is fucking hard considering you need to take out shit like enemy bombers that can take 4 or more missiles or a solid 10 seconds of direct cannonfire (which is where the slow enemy planes really grinds my gears extra hard). I don't know how much of a beating the allied forces can take before you fail but the allied planes don't shoot shit so you need to shoot down most of them.

The F-117 wasn't a fighter and it wasn't brought down with a cell phone and SAMs. In every interview with the Yugoslav who shot it down he cites the fact that NATO bombing runs typically ran the same routes so all he had to do was point their radar at one part of the sky and turn on and off the radar for 17 seconds at a time until they got a hit, which was in this case the F-117's bomb bay door opening. Furthermore the air defenses of Yugoslavia managed to figure out how to use longer wavelengths to increase their chances of detection of F-117s when their bomb bays opened up. And while several missiles were launched from the same battery only one hit.

You have no idea what you are talking about. You have no clue how radar guided SAMs work.

Fucking Ace Combat kiddies.

Use SAM for the big planes.
Und use machine gun for ground enemies.

Also gitgud nigga

Do you mean SAAM? You get a dozen of them max and that takes down about 4-5 bombers/gunships. B-52s take at least three direct hits form SAAM. There are basically no ground enemies in the mission either. Maybe 10 or so AA guns that aren't mission critical or threaten the allies you need to protect. Thanks for the useless advice I guess.

Abuse your machine gun if you're not playing on a difficulty that limits your ammo, and use an air superiority plane with an assload of missiles. The regular missiles hit everything so get something that can carry like 16 SP missiles or something and like 88 normal missiles. That should be just barely enough as long as you don't waste your shots.

I'm playing on hard so I only get a limited amount of guns. Most missiles I can get is 70 and 14 SAAMs on the Mig-31 but it's too fast for the bombers, the time you can actually even use guns is like a second per approach because you either fly past too quick or ram into their ass, so I rather use the Su-27 with 72 missiles and 10 SAAMs which isn't as fast but still pretty fast.

Is this bait?

Quality post my friend. Tell me, how many am I supposed to fire then? What the fuck is the point of shooting only one if it barely makes the B-52 go into orange?

Nice reading comprehension. I didn't at any point say that the Mig-31 is shit nor did I say that I was trying to turn with it at high speeds. I said that it's faster than the Su-27 and seems to stall at higher speed which makes it worse for this specific situation where there are a lot of slow moving air targets. For your sake I hope you're high or have brain damage because this level of idiocy is just beyond anything reasonable otherwise. Anyway, I cleared the mission with an S Rank and got the medal for three or less friendly casualties so fuck you I guess.

Nah, the MiG-31 is shit cause it can't turn at all. Dedicated interceptors are retarded.

Project Wingman looks pretty damn good. This is footage of the mouse mode that the dev posted today. Anyone tried the alpha?

One SAAM, two missiles and a quick gun burst will kill a bomber. Even the F-20 should have enough ammo for that.
How the fuck did you manage that? Webm related, you should actually need to speed up just to get into gun range.
I used an F-14A just to test ammo consumption, ended the level with 3 missiles and ~100 gun rounds

And that's so much more efficient than using three SAAMs? A missile and a gun bursts is enough to kill a fighter, the same result a SAAM would get so two missiles and a couple of gun bursts is equivalent to two SAAMs. In the end you'll get the same bang for your bucks. You're sperging over literally fucking nothing.

Gee, you really are retarded aren't you.

Nigger did you actually watch the webm? At no point did I even drop below the MiG-31's cruise speed.

okay I did briefly drop to 500, but that's still nowhere near the MiG-31's stall speed.

We're talking about supersonic masses of metal capable of raining death and destruction on whole cities and skies by themselves held together with duct tape and string. Of course these things would take time to make, even once the line is rolling.

Well okay, the Raptors and Lightning IIs get better than string and duct tape, but yeah, it's not exactly like rolling out a bunch of big rigs.

EXCALIBUR LASER WEB. I loved that raid. I had the incredible displeasure of getting a black Excalibur once. Every level 4 version of the superweapon raids features the motherfucking Butterfly Master. As if you needed more lasers in your life. I've got high hopes for 7's superweapons after the stupidly awesome bullshit they flexed in Infinity.

I kind of want a Gleipnir raid where instead of just an altitude threshold, you also had to hide behind buildings to soften the blow completely, so the raid would take place in urban maps with skyscrapers. If you were in the safe altitude, you'd take some minor damage, but being near buildings between the point of impact would negate it all. All while trying to evade the Gleipnir's escorts, like ASF-Xs and copters surprising you between the buildings. I just want more excuses to weave through cities.

Hey man, the Bloodbornebox has King of Nobody Cares About This Franchise XIV, along with Neoh. It's going to get Nier Automata soon, which is looking very good. That's four right there.

Don't forget Gravity Rush 2 and that one weebshit VR tutoring sim.

The cool thing is though, this is only how long it takes in peacetime. Production can be ramped up in the event of a major war, just like during World War 2. At its height, aircraft manufacturers could pump out one plane PER HOUR (if not more), and while it would definitely be slower in a modern day setting, the amount of stealth fighters being pumped out would be absurdly fast compared to now. One can hardly imagine how crazy fast shit would get if the US' main manufacturing might were focused on military hardware like it was back then. It really brings into perspective how much of a juggernaut the US really is, and why only China and Russia can even attempt to match us.

Just imagine: Hundreds, if not thousands of F-35s, F-22s, and B-21s flying in formation on a scale not seen since World War 2. Just thinking about it makes me cum red, white, and blue.

Just started playing 4. Did the first mission, what am I in for.

You can't just turn car factories into plane factories anymore. Stealth fighters have a huge manufacturing lead time, they have a million parts that have to be built to exacting specifications out of exotic and dangerous materials. Plus it took the US two years to really start churning out fighters and four years to reach total war footing, an air war isn't going to last that long.

Are you retarded?
Nier Automata and FFXV have even had officially confirmed PC ports.

King of FightersXIV is on a timed exclusive deal with Sony and is getting an Arcade release soon with a PC release likely not too long after and Koei is pretty much porting everything they have to PC and I'm expecting Nioh to follow suit.

Story of Mobius One and Yellow Squadron. My computer had trouble emulating it so some missions I was stick in cockpit view just to get a HUD. It's pretty good though, there are missions were you have to destroy targets for points and that's sometimes a pain, having to go back, rearm, then go back again to mop up.

Pretty solid title though.

Thought I had a PS2 Ace Combat game. Turns out it's some game called Airforce Delta Strike by Konami. Haven't played it yet, is it worth a shit, anyone know?

JETS IN SPACE!!!
It's close to Macross. More VN than Ace Combat but looks pretty cool.

Electrosphere was pretty fun. I really enjoyed slowing peeling back the layers of what was really happening as I achieved the different endings. I didn't really get it at first because I did UPEO and then Ouroboros II, but once I did Neucom and then Ouroboros I, I really figured it out. It's pretty obvious if you do the Ouroboros I path.

Also, does every Ace Combat have at least one tunnel mission? Seems to be a theme. 3, 4, 5, and 0 have one, but 5's was certaintly the most nerve wracking.

That in 4 was hell, restarted about a dozen times. And yes, it's a constant theme to test your skill and it's plain awesome when you're not crashing into the wall. Someone had a vid of someone going breakneak speed down the tunnel in 5. That was just scary.

Would you paint your walls with rightful Belkan clay?

I don't know why this always makes me laugh.

Too busy not nuking my own territory.

Is it ok to discuss some light ps2 modding here?

Gonna get a fmcb mem card next week, as well as these games would third party tools like Action Replay and swapmagic be worth keeping around just in case?

I'm playing the 4th right now because I did the HDD trick to get freemcboot. I also slapped it onto a memory card. It might not be a bad idea to keep that stuff around, you never know whats going to happen.
I like that I can play burnt games, but now having a case for them bothers me for a reason I can't explain.

Thats what i was thinking too, not only nice to have but also as a backup just in case.

Dont i need Action Replay EVO in order to make fmcb? i know there are a lot of ARs out there.

Think that's fine. Thread is almost finished anyway and most of the AC games are on the PS.

none of my sony devices run on OFW m7

If you are using a slim line thenyes I think. There are a ton of different ways, do you have a phat ps2? You can load stuff off a HDD through the network adapter and do it that way as well.

I got a fat but these are getting expensive to find unfortunately.

I dug up my old ass one, cd drive doesnt even work, not that it matters. I actually put freemcboot onto a memory card and use my slim line to play burned games. The ide drive is so old I kinda dont trust it sometimes.
You will need a network adapter and and IDE hard drive. I used this guide. Make sure everything stays plugged in when the computer goes on and run it all in admin mode. I think for network adapters people buy some chinese knock off ones or something
I've also seen guides where the nerd used an sd card attached to an adapter for a sata port, and that attached to a sata to ide and it worked alright.
imgur.com/a/2rUST

When i get more shekels ill defo give that a look, cheers user.

How are theTom Clancy's HAWXs games? Im curious about them. I heard that the first game was at least OK. Not sure about the sequel.

From memory, it's more hud focused than what AC is but you can turn that off and sorta free fly around. Never could get the hang of that.

1 is better than 2 I think, they had sections where you had to fly a bomber in a specific route and it was like those segments from Assault horizon where you're locked in a dog fight on rails.

I also have a phat PS2 with a broken disc drive. How cheap/easy would it be to replace the disc drive? I'd love to be able to actually play my PS2 games instead of relying on emulators.

5 is nuts because you have to go fast. The others you can take your time for the most part.

You don't even need a memory card for Free McBoot anymore. All you need is the network adaptor and either a compatible IDE drive, or do some hard modding and use any HDD you can find, including SATA. Of course, hard modding risks breaking things.
I haven't done the HDD only method, as my memory card method works just fine for now. I'll probably try it whenever my IDE drive fails.

It's not emulation if you're using the actual hardware. I don't know about repairing the DVD drive since I have zero use for it at this point. It's usually the laser that goes bad, and you can take it apart and clean it, adjust it, etc but it will eventually go bad again. They always fail.
The beauty of doing the softmod is you can't break anything, and you don't have to take apart anything and then put it back together.

Just finished Ace Combat 5

holy shit these games are like the Metal Gear Solid of flight games

Ever considered a carreer in games journalism?

Every game has at least one tunnel sequence and one canyon sequence.

Trips of truth.

I was checking out Ace Combat Zero in PCSX2, since I haven't emulated in a while, and I only just noticed that planes actually break the sound barrier in the game. It's a nice little touch.

I just finished the whole trinity, Zero will rock your socks too. I think Ace Combat handles geopolitics better than Metal Gear Solid, while MGS works as good entry-level Postmodernism, kind of like Rick and Morty. AC also handles civilian perspectives on war better, AC has you fighting and defending major cities and you hear of all the impact you leave. Everything in MGS happens in its own little vacuum, and very rarely breaks out into the contemporary world. Even in MGSV you don't hear much about the local villages other than "Boss, go here. Cipher's behind it."
I'm glad you had fun though, I did too. Now get started Zero, nugget. Or earn some more AC5 unlockables.

You're correct that these things are a lot more complex than they used to be, but Lockheed does have the capability to speed up production. It would certainly take a while to pick up, but the capability is there.

No. Grindy. The story had big potential.

Sorry guys one more question.

Lets say i get FMCB to work, cant i just used burned copies of ARM/Swap Magic? or will they not work?

Well I know that, I'm not retarded. I'm just saying I have a bunch of discs that I wanna play and the drive isn't working, so I wanted to know how difficult it would be to fix.

If you got FMCB to work, you don't need Swap Magic. You can run ESR which can run burned discs, but that's far less reliable than OPL or something similar from a HDD.

Gotcha, tanks user.

Time for new thread?

Are you stupid?

Just because this thread isn't especially active doesn't mean we need a new one.

Three kinds of Aces.

Would you wear a steel helm instead of a regular flight helmet to show of your "knightly" ace abilities?

yes

If I was a Knight I would, but I'm a mercenary.

Bruh you kidding me? It's gotta be a full suit of armor or nothing.

Holy shit, Shattered Skies is awesome. For my first AC game I didn't expect to have so much fun and for the game to have such a nice plot.
Good shit. Also, bump, I guess.

Dude if you liked Shattered Skies then you will LOVE The Unsung War. Play it as soon as possible.

You'll enjoy the arcade mode in AC5 where you get to play as Mobius 1 again

My personal favorite was the mission where you save the passenger aircraft.

What makes it your favourite?

ARSENAL GEAR

erm, plane.

Arkbird + Arsenal Gear = genius money

Not him, but it was a pretty unique escort mission. I tend to forget about it, but when I'm reminded of it, I think "Oh yeah, that was exciting."

God I felt like such a retard. Especially when I figured it's probably just scripted to give the warning without a chance of it actually hitting you. Next try I got to what I'd say is the halfway point of the exit run and flew into the wall because of one of those gates that closes from the side because I had to dodge it and couldn't recover. Sometimes I wish I hadn't been a PC gamer for the vast majority of my life. Thumb control of the stick leaves something to be desired and it really shows in AC where the flightmodel is so sensitive.

actually it was the last gate, not halfway through. fuck my life.

youtube.com/watch?v=hfV8dMStkBU