Dwarf Fortress

Didn't see a DF thread up.
How do you like my fort, Holla Forums?

Nice ASCII sheet

Dammit, OP. Try again.

poor dorfs :(

I'll play this shitty game again when Toady optimises it for multi core support. Till then fuck your non functioning game.

Damn, OP. Are you building a fortress or are you building communism?

How would dwarf communism work?

Play the game and you'll see. Nobody claims a lot for themselves, and anybody can take from stockpiles as they please. If a job opens up, any available candidate will complete it without compensation, and they'll be happy about it. The game even comes with undeserved nobility status, just like real communism. Nobility makes arbitrary and sometimes unrealistic demands and they'll whine and cry when they don't get their way. The only differences between dorfort and real communism is that the nobility doesn't command the military, or anybody really, and cave-ins frequently kill up-and-coming malevolent dictators.

I like building one Z-level bases too, OP. It's a nice change of pace from ultra-efficient underground "towers".

all this time i thought if i dug out a room too big it collapses

what i get for playing two games at the same time

This.

A single Z-level can't hold all the coffins you need if you're playing correctly.

wouldn't commie blocks be tiny rooms
those look like 5x5

wats a multicore

OP here.
there's 120-something 5 by 5's and 133 2 by 2's (visible directly under the 5 by 5's).
We are a classist society. The building across the street from the 2x2 ghetto is going to be the jail.

This thread was premature tbh. Only the tavern (middle) was in working order when I made this thread and I took the day off of dorf fort today so not much is different.

Also, multi core refers to how the processor in your computer.
Every core is basically a calculation that the processor can do at a given instant (so if you have 2 cores working at 2.5GHz each, you effectively have 5GHz of processing speed.

However, DF will only use one core while it's running, regardless of how many are available. This makes the game run half as fast as it otherwise would (still assuming 2 cores, you can expect most processors today to be quad core meaning DF runs 1/4 as fast). I'm a linuxfag so i don't remember how to view individual cores on windows anymore but if you find out how you can demonstrate this to yourself. 1 core will be absolutely maxed out while the rest are doing pretty much what they're doing when DF isn't running.

This is that game that has worse graphics and controls compared to it's superior up and coming game, Rimworld, right?

What crazy shit has Toady added after Vampires and Necros?

Wasted dubs.

What you're butchering the explanation of is multi-threading. And no it doesn't work like that. You can't magically take any task, split it into eight threads and get 8x the performance. Threads are helpful for parallel computation or offloading other tasks that could stall one thread.

Multi-threading is great for things like rendering or handling a lot of audio channels. It's not great for game logic or simulation that is very sequential.

To be fair, DF has been getting worse since roughly the time they added z-levels.

This. It's not intended to be a good game, or possibly a proper game at all, and it shows.

Looks very low-efficiency, with a horribly dull layout.

Toady makes DF for himself. Everyone else is just along for the ride.

Boringly inorganic.

Questions for any dorf autists: Is there anything new since the minecarts?

I'm sure toady is working on an accurate simulation of fingernail dirt on a per-finger basis.

Or perhaps a digestion system so we can finally fill our moats with shit instead of just blood and lava.

Shit/10

Left*

Well you can. Sort of. It's not 8x performance for 8x threads, but it's damn close enough compared to having just one CPU core switch back and forth between the various tasks. Sure not every task ever can be divided among cores, but a lot can and there's always performance benefits of it unless you do it wrong and get stuck with thread locks all day erryday.

Which is exactly what's happening A LOT to the game right now, because one thread is stuck having to calculate thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of little AI decisions each tick once your fortress grows to a certain size. Hell just world generation takes forever because it's stuck having to calculate mutation of tens of thousands of tiles on a single thread.

Unless you're retarded and cannot comprehend multi-threaded read/writes, it's actually highly beneficial to have AI running on separate threads from the main thread. Or else you get stuck with the main thread lagging horribly once you get past a certain threshold of AI computations, and if you're using the same main thread to also do frame rendering then god help you.

Hell just multi-threading the world generation would have CONSIDERABLE speed benefits, or even just the water/lava spread and leveling calculations.

Just have a dedicated coffin level then.

Name one game with same complexity which can run as fast as df? 300 fucking z levels with liquids, and hundreds of units. but adventure mode is fucked up slow.

I'm not saying DF is slow, I'm saying that it could benefit from being multi-threaded.

underage neo-Holla Forums please leave

will this game run on my mobile

Not a chance in hell. Way too CPU intensive. Also how the fuck would you play this on mobile?

In about 5 years.

Evil biomes are fucking brutal. A pack of undead chinchillas has been harassing my just settled dwarves and I cant get rid of them since my dwarves wont butcher them.

It doesnt need to be evil. Just as I was unpacking my cart, a band of wild monkeys stole my food (I think) and hurt everyone. No one died but there were some severely hurt and blood everywhere

You need several things to live in an undead biome.
Dedicated haulers, pits that lead to lava, and warhammers.

Also the further you dig underground the smaller the chances of reanimation.

me irl

You should have done it with a boning knife

Wasted potential the game.

Yes. The very same one that hasn't released in 15 years.

Rimworld puts this game to shame

but does it feature kobold genital removal?

If it makes you feel any better, dorf forts are often rife with starvation death and unhappiness. Just like real communism.

Rimworld?

More life Rimjob

Seriously though, I can't stress this enough.
DF IS LITERALLY A MEME GAME
And fuck Rimworld. Knowing the faggots on here there is an 100% chance it's just extremely gimped and watered down for the retards can't handle anything that doesn't appeal to their safespace. Can't wait for these morons buy into another overhyped pile of garbage.

Now back to this shitbox of a game. The fact that this game isn't multithreaded ALONE gimps any crazy complex things you can do since the framerate comes to a god damn crawl if you have more than 60 dwarves OR any mechanism with water. Also it doesn't even fucking matter, because once you get a foothold there's literally nothing to do. Enemies stop sending invasions after the 5-6th wave and they don't even get stronger after the 3rd one. There are tons of ways to cheese the game, the most obvious one is to literally just wall yourself inside your fortress with 5 farms, a cooking station, and a farming workshop. Don't want to do that? Just make your entrance an extremely long hallway with cage traps. Cage traps literally nullify the point to even have an army.

The only thing to do lategame is either literally to end the game suicide via candy or wait until a steel fire breathing forgotten beast shows up and ends the game. The only people who hype this game up as being hard are people who either haven't played it, hardcore memers, people who think having to gimp yourself 7 ways from sunday for a challenge is means a the game is hard not just badly designed, or people who can't play any game with graphics more dated than 2014.

Also, what the fuck is the point of trading? Unless there is one vital thing your fortress doesn't have, like ore, you might as well will ignore the merchant. Even then you can just ignore the merchant because you can farm goblins for metal, which even has a name, goblinite, meaning that's what 99% of the players do.

The guy who made this game can't balance to save his life. Half the shit you can build in the game is useless and Toady's absolutely brainless answer to balance is "Lol, let's just make it so that if they don't have one thing bad things happen" instead of adding utility or something. What's the point of pottery, when you can literally do everything with stonecrafting. When I realized you could make a barrel equivalent out of stone instead of wood, I realized literally the only thing wood is good for is beds and a few other random items you rarely build. Also, the counter of "if you don't have iron then your dwarves will go insane" doesn't even matter I have 70 dwarves, and 80% of the time I already have everything without even realizing it, and 10% of the time it's something I couldn't get otherwise without trading. NONE OF THIS EVEN MATTERS ANYWAYS THOUGH. Same thing goes for nobles. If you literally don't appoint a executioner then they can't do shit to you.

I hope Notch coming along and ripping off 75% of this game makes Toady super butthurt. It's what you get when you make a game with insane potential and then just sit on it forever. At least Notch added a function to some of the useless shit in Minecraft.

Also considering the best strategy is literally "Wall yourself in". There is no point to build moats, fortifications, ballista, catipults, or any type of defense. And there's a pretty good chance even if you went that route just for challenge your defenses would be useless anyways.

You came back just to vent your autism?

Yeah, because fuck this game, fuck the people who play it, fuck memes, and fuck 8/v/ for building it up to be decent 2 years.

I was going to reply seriously but he kept praising Notch, the fat jew, jew and fat, that got cucked out of half his shekels.

I have been following DF since 2006, it is not about the game more about the building of the world, even though the game is fun and peerless in what it allows

You weren't going to reply because everything I fucking said is true and you can't defend yourself. Now you're ass ravaged with no ammo, so you defaulted to the fact I mentioned Notch. Even DF fans on here will mention how this game is garbage because Toady added laggy bullshit that doesn't change the gameplay what-so-ever, instead of actually adding shit to the game. I specifically remember the line "There's a reason we never hear stories of boatmurder anymore". Isn't it pretty sad when you have to go all the way back to when this game had no z-axis to find a good story?

I guess, but honestly, after how much everyone talked up this game about the other aspects I doubt it.

stories like*