Looking for a purely mechanical game

Lately I have been craving purely mechanical and tactical games like darkest dungeon and XCOM. What does Holla Forums recommend for turn based games that are well balanced with interesting abilities, fairly challenging and not focused around story?

Other urls found in this thread:

pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1707338).
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Wizardry 8, not for pussies.

Underrail?

Damn you have shit taste.

I swear pic related is a better NuCOM game than NuCOM is. If you have a 3DS and haven't installed CFW on it yet you are a pussy.

daaaaaamn
X
Might & Magic
Any 4X strategy game
Heck, any rts game for that matter
FUCKING WORMS.

I fucking love Invisible Inc, XCOM style stealth game. Much less RNG dependent than XCOM though, and there's a nice variety of characters and playstyles.

Dubs of truth. Invisible Inc is great; I almost forgot about it.

Although not exactly balanced, Path of Exile is fairly neat in terms of experimenting with skills and unique items

It's fun to watch these PoE videos where the build works in practice, but I hesitate to gamble my time looking for JUST the right skill gems that would fit JUST the right equipment with JUST the right class passives I chose. The whole game to me is a Critical Hit vs low chance of hitting at all.
I played a fucking fencer or whatever the cocky one with sabres was, and I ended up using a bow and totems with debuffs all over the place because melee was out of the question at the time.

Jagged Alliance 2 1.13

Why play a purely mechanical game when you can play a mechanically pure game?

Dwarf Fortress

they buffed the melee lately, and they are gonna add another act, removing one difficulty, so its not gonna be so boring to level up diffrent chars
They also added a ton of other things including subclasses and new endgame bosses. Once you get to know game better it's really fun to start over when new league hits, I suggest you give it a second chance

Factorio
Dwarf Fortress
Any of the Agarest games
Conception II

Melee or "melee"?

Battle Brothers

b8

PoE requires 40-100h to start making a build work. Let's not talk about going full perfect rolls 6L.

Vandal Hearts

Battle brothers looks pretty cool, looks like mount and blade

Almost too much cancer for one image.

I was about to get angry at this FF-esque bullshit, but then I remembered that I had Grim Dawn once to get a build going.

PoE has such a big MMO approach that I had to stop playing. The grinding is way too much and it forces you to trade with other players to reduce the grinding. Even the "budget builds" are expensive. It takes a month for veterans to make a build, problem is that every three months you lose everything.

I don't feel like grinding my ass to lose everything after the following patch, got fed of it. If I wanted a Diablo without playing Diablo 2 I just play Torchlight 2 with mods.

Surprised nobody's mentioned MegaMek with MekHQ for both multiplayer and singleplayer action.
Don't forget to turn on most of the advanced options for movement, vision and combat.

What.
If you know what you're doing, you can easily level to the mid-to-high 80's (where pretty much any build will be working) in a few days.

Play Standard league then.

That's what I thought. After everypatch the builds get fucked up anyways and its the same story.

It takes a month to gather the gear, not to level.

For what? A build with the budget of an exalt or two, which is reasonable for the vast majority of content and in some case all of it, will NOT take a month to gather up unless you're actually terrible at the game.

The game has a lot of issues, the balance is completely fucked in its current state and it's heading in a constantly casualized direction, but "it takes too long to make builds good" is not one of those issues.

I'm sorry, what? Only the most expensive builds take that long. There are many MANY cheap builds which can work after 10 hours. Just right now I'm doing this cheap abyssal cry build (pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1707338). By day two I had all the uniques and majority of jewels and was already mapping with it.

Darkest Dungeon is trash

I don't play the game anymore for other reasons, but nig the game is in its easiest right now. People get skyforths (AKA the most expensive droppable unique in the game) by trading after 2 weeks. With 1 or 2 exalts worth of gear you can roll over everything, I don't know what you are talking about. Even SSF characters don't take a month to build up.

I stopped playing a few years ago, I don't know how "easy" it is at the moment, neither I do care.
Exalteds were not something easy to come accross, even less if you did not use the market.

Then why do you present yourself as if you knew how the game is now? It's very different, in some ways better and in some ways worse than it was. With the Xbox version announcement I doubt it's getting better anymore, though.

It's much MUCH easier now. You can burn through the normal game (all three difficulties) in a day without even trying. Almost any build works now and they changed the socket drops so 5 links and 6 sockets are much more common.

Agreed. It's marketed as being super hard, but it's actually embarrassingly easy.

The game is casual tier right now, even if they remove double dipping AND vaal pact, the powercreep is already too far in, people got used to it, they want to clear maps in one minute.