Video Game Music and OST

Video Game Music and OST
Come take a seat and relax to the best music mankind has ever made, vidya music.

Comfy music? Pumped up music? Synthwave? Bring it!

What's your favorite game opening? Best title track? Which gen best gen?

Other urls found in this thread:

shadowhearts.wikia.com/wiki/Near.Death.Experience
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm surprised how did this thread is

He said game, not early access.

he said post music not shitpost

Who the hell am I, Jesus? I walk away from this thread for a couple hours and you two are already splitting the Catholic and East Orthodox churches!

music games early access and shitposting all welcome ITT

Official arrangements okay?

downvote

Sure, I'm even going to allow covers and remixes because why the fuck not.

Going on a theme here, esp since I just installed OpenMW.

Last one in this theme.

I'll admit that I still prefer the actual game OST composition for this one as it fits the game atmosphere better, but this is still a neat arrangement.

This video game has a rocking soundtrack. I like this.

I actually like Smooth, is anyone else here a fan?

Still need to play that sometime. Actually, I still need to give Square's classic stuff more time in general.

Have you played FF 4, 5 & 6? Really good stuff.

I've dabbled in FFIV and VI before, as well as a bit of VII, but I don't think I really got all that far with them. Wasn't that I disliked them either; been a while since then, but I think I'd had to set them aside due to college projects, and since then haven't found the drive to really get back to them (part of why I don't like having to temporarily drop things for real life issues). Maybe I ought to give them another go one of the days, but my backlog's huge as is (in part due to not having much access to vidya growing up) and since then there's been other games and series that have caught my attention more.

Could also be that maybe I wasn't playing the "right" versions of IV and VI either, since I know how adamant some people get about what they feel is the proper version of something to play, like that one user that rails against Chrono Trigger DS due to the additional optional content, when the rest of the game seemed like a more than adequate port (especially compared to the loading issues I hear the prior PS1 port was plagued by).

I'd stick with SNES ROMs for 4, 5, and 6, and use the community English patched 5. 7 sucks, don't bother with the series after 6, but 4, 5, and 6 are easy recommendations.

Continuing the not-quite-vidya-but-still-vidya trend we've got going…

Part of the issue is that I know FFIV SNES isn't considered to have that good an official translation, and I've heard that the fan translation for it has its own issues (Mato's had an ongoing English script comparison between a number of English options and the Japanese counterparts' scripts; he claims that despite it's floweriness, the DS version has the most accurate script); seems weird that it saw a fan-translation anyhow considering it did have an official western release, but I wonder if maybe it was done before the game came over. And with FFVI, while I've heard the SNES' English script was an improvement over FFIV's before it, I recall also hearing that it suffers from a fair bit of liberty taking on Woolsey's part (though I expect he might have gotten really crunched for time, the way he had I think a month for Chrono Trigger's English script).

I don't mind playing older games much, but it seems like a fair amount suffer from localization issues (not that [CURRENT YEAR] is all that much better; sixth gen and part of seventh gen seemed to be a better time for better quality English scripts in comparison), provided they were games that came west in the first place. I suppose quality can vary widely as to whether they're still serviceable scripts or not though, and in some cases the issue seems like it would be more on the technical end (character/line limits requiring trimming, etc) than incompetent translation.

When will he be banned.

Hotline Miami 1&2 still have my favorite vidya OST's of all time. Really damn good games as well. I know 2 gets a lot of shit, but I still enjoyed it a lot.

Clearly the inferior version.

lad, that was a mistake

10/10 would listen all day

Shame this song is only used like a single damn time and if memory serves doesn't even loop in the game if somehow the mook battle outlasts it.

I have to wonder what Square thinks of that. Not in the "DMCA this" sense, but more in the "someone actually modded all of Tidus' lines to be him laughing, and other character laughing into Tidus' laughter, and the entire three and a half hour OST into Tidus laughing" one. And that said entire three and a half hour OST was then uploaded onto youtube as a single video.

Journey was a comfy game

Halo had some of the best music I've run across in games.

The Halo games in general is great, Holla Forums is just butthurt that other, shittier games tried to copy it and became popular.

Personally, I would've always blamed the shit WWII type games. But, yeah, pretty sweet.

I have some nostalgia, but can't admit they're good games. Slow console shooters, typical boring level design, regenerating health, yadda yadda.

Regenerating health isn't inherently a bad thing when it's well executed like it is in CE. Also, while I agree that for a lot of the Halo games, they are slower then they should/could be, they also don't need to be as fast as something like Quake or UT, and it's not aiming for that. Halo 5's gameplay is faster and isn't as floaty and I think is what Halo should feel like, it's still slower then the above 2, but it doesn't feel artificially slow or floaty.

Also CE's certainly got some really bad level design issues but the sequels mostly fix this and it doesn't take away from the other elements so much that it makes the game bad, though. Good visual design, the music, etc

Personally, I never minded slow shooters, so long as they aren't boring. And, while the level design was simple, it was also very beautiful.

But, then, I mostly remember Halo CE. 3 was pretty mediocre, and ODST was mostly about the story and atmosphere. CE was a pretty good all arounder. 'Least in my mind. Hell, it's a game I routinely come back to, and still have a lot of fun. Mostly in the campaign, though I do play the multiplayer now and again.

AoM best OST.

Yeah, no, you're retarded.

Best strategy OST coming through

Me neither, but I do mind Halo because it is boring. A slow shooter that is fun, for example, would be F.E.A.R. That is one fun game, because unlike Halo, the gunplay is fun.

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOO

I want to sexually bully Flynn

W-Why would you do that

He's cute. Cute!

FUCK YES.

Bro…

I'm openly reminded that this project is DoA and will never come out.

Even if it did, it's just Super Metroid with MMX mechanics. Bad MMX mechanics.

But that's uh, that's gay though

A Capella covers are all crap.

GOAT OST coming through

Yoshi's Island had the best soundtrack I've ever heard in a single videogame

PE2 HD remaster never ever

I'm disgusted.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG

What IS this? Where is it even hosted? Is it this?
shadowhearts.wikia.com/wiki/Near.Death.Experience

I feel like you and I are the only people who like this game.

It will come out eventually. Worst case scenario the perfectionist dev says fuck it but at least he uploads the work he has done.

i think it will come out because its pretty much almost done. The guy does one area and tests the SHIT out of it until its silky smooth, then works on the next.

Yeah, that's what it's from (same album as ). It's the official composers either doing different takes on their own prior work, or their own takes on each other's work. Not exactly sure which, just that the credits list the people that had worked on the PS2 games (Yoshitaka Hirota, Yasunori Mitsuda, Kenji Ito, and Tomoko Imoto), so either way, it's still an official take on the songs in it.

Is this the best version of Baiken's theme?

Enjoyable.

I was just listening to that 15 minutes ago. My man.

What's this? A music thread that has good taste? Time to add to this fine selection of audio appetites.

Been playing this again since i'm kind of halfway through a move. Song still makes me happy and reminds me of when I was a kid.

Probably gonna be replaying this again in the near future. Found my GC copy the other day and am looking forward to this again. Music was fucking top tier.

Found a copy of this months ago for like 12$. I never bought a game faster.

I never played this game, but it looked like a fun puzzle game. I apologize for the lyric Vidya game song, but I still think this is cool.

One of, if not the best, games on the DS that actually took advantage of the system. RIP sequel.

This was probably one of the best tracks to come out of rebirth. It was one of the few songs that I Felt captured the feeling of the original BoI

Aw yes, Shadowgate. I really ought to try and beat it one of these days.

One night while I was a bit tipsy I busted out my N64 that I hadn't played in a long time, slammed in F-Zero X and had a blast. It felt like pic related.

Ironically, CE I think has the weakest campaign in the series, maybe better then 5's though

Low enemy and weapon variety, tons of copy pasted repetitive mazes of hallways, large,empty wide open areas that really only exist for awe and padding, and then the last 3 missions are just the first 3 in reverse

It's easily the most tedious and repetitive.

2 > ODST > Reach = 3 > 4 > CE = 5 in terms of the campaigns, though I might be a bit biased for 2's. This isn''t including story, it's important to note, though my story rankings are almost identical aside from 4 being at the bottom.

video games need more fictional languages, and songs in those fictional languages

no really we should be getting more games with fictional languages each generation

I unironically hate everything about Halo 2.

I think this song perfectly captures that early virtua fighter era of 3D fightan games
And is also hype as fuck

I know 4 had that sweet ass death star trench run at the end, but I think you're stretching a bit

holy shit this is amazing.

Why?

Even the music? Cmon user, it had the best soundtrack in the series behind ODST's.

Unforgotten was already posted here so here's IMO the second best track in 2

4's campaign and general setup is, if you think about it, basically a redux of CE. First mission is you escaping a crashing space ship, second mission is you waking up in the crash on a mysterious alien world, and then exiting the area and being greeted by a huge vista, then regrouping with fellow UNSC troops, awakening an ancient evil stored on the world, etc. The soundtrack similarly uses a lot of synths for forerunner ruins and has a similar sense of atmosphere for those areas to CE (IMO, actually outdoing it there for the atmoisphere, though obviously not the soundtrack). It even suffers from the same level design issues CE does that I mentioned.

The key part though, and why I think 4's campaign is ultimately better, is those design issues aren't as severe in 4. It's better at scaling the exterior envoirments and not having them feel empty, and while it does suffer from the same copy pasted maxrs of hallways issue CE does, it's not as bad in 4. The promethians are also introduced much earlier then the flood which helps with enemy variety and obviously there's much more weapon variety.

That said, I do think 4 has way lower high points then CE (the silent cartogapher, especially), but I just think that CE has way more low points and said low points are lower. Also, obviously, CE is more impressive for it's time then 4 is. If we are jduging the games based on the standards of the years they were released, then CE blows 4 out of the water.

Best Karaoke song in Y5.

Halo 4 suffered a lot from the main enemy force being the the orange edge monsters, which just aren't as engaging to fight as the covenant, and made areas that could otherwise be alright into a slog

Presented in Dolby Surround
Never did find out if there's a way to get all 4 channels out of the N64 somehow

Still love it, not looking forward to the tribal hunts so I can actually beat the fucking game for once.

Really good fucking soundtrack there One day I'll get an Everdrive
Good on ya, people hate on the controls but control shenannigans was par for the course back in the day.
I also like abandonware so fucky control schemes are par for the course when playing old games

I should seriously get back to playing TWEWY, the controls were too weird for me the first time but the music is second best of any series on the DS

The game was bad by most standards, but that flying theme is the only thing that stuck with me. I don't know why I try to play newer games.

Also went back and played this on the nes, that over world music was so sad and depressing.

Ps1 version

An underrated Enix title.

Another underrated dev

It feels like only small and mid scale developers are making music that doesn't feel like a generic film soundtrack.

Oh I fully agree, but that theme does feel like a good Flying theme.

Wow, there's someone else who listens to Xenogears ost. One of the best out there imo. Lot of good taste in this thread all around.

This shit right here along with it's daytime theme.

Daytime.

(almost) the whole thing is fucking great, it's like a more soundtrack-ready 0pn or Tim Hecker release (if you ignore Still Alive and its radio mix at the end)
Kelly Bailey seriously needs to more soundtracks or at least put out a solo release

Some music of this game is great

Nice.

See embed, my fav from Chrono.

Bro, nice. God I haven't played that since release.

Muh nigga. That game was so much fun when I was a kid.

I always loved the music but found the gameplay meh.

Do it. Satisfying af.

Fucking love this OST.

YES, full on ninja flashbacks from this.

PANIC

Also check em

and polite saging

Despite ff2 being the worst FF For many fucking reasons it had some pretty good music.

I'll be the first to admit it's clunky as fuck and could be better if it had updated touchscreen tech like we have now, but once you got into and you started getting good, especially with certain pin builds the game was satisfying on a level that I think people who play DMC style tournaments would get a massive enjoyment out of. But yeah, definitely not the easiest game to get into because of its control style, nevermind the two screen combat. sequel never ever

FF2/4 was fucking badass, what are you talking about you spoony bard?

The real ff2, not 4. I don't go by the american labeling anymore because its confusing. FF2 with Firion/etc and the Emperor is the worst FF.

FF2 got better with the remakes I'd say, still not perfect by any means, but far better then the NES version.
The NES version was basically fucked from the get go, because the lead game designer is a madman, did Unlimited Saga and Last Remanent.
The coder as well was nuts as well, forced the whole team to accept the Ultima spells should be shit, because he believed old stuff should be bad, going so far to cypher the code so only he could understand it.
I dunno how they made FF1 work, since it was all the same team.
But, if there's one thing they did really good was Amano's character design for Firion, his gimmick for Dissidia is also pretty amusing.

Sure, but it's not any worse then the flood in CE i'd argue