Tactical Strategy Thread

If GSG and RTS can exist at the same time, it's time for a tactical strategy thread.
Hidden gems? Underrated games? Shit you have to import and fan patch? Let's get this going.

what is with 3ds games and botching trpg franchises? fuck re-tensei

Completely different things, you ignorant buffoon.

Low energy sage gets low energy response

There are 3 levels of warfare: tactical, operational and strategic. I suggest you learn what each of them entails.

And what is a strategy, dear user?

user is actually right.

Managing units on a battlefield is one thing. Those are tactics.
Managing what they use, when they use it, where and how they use it outside of combat is strategy.
And all the games I posted have both these elements

The technique or method by which a state or war machine achieves its goals.

Here, let me give you examples:

edgy

Strategy
Take the Town
Operational
Secure the Church and the Town Hall
Tactics
Fire on the machine gun nest then flank around

I think

Always makes me wew.

Why do the German flags have the iron cross and not swastikas?

Anti-nazification laws in Germany. Allies thought Germans would instantly start a new world war if they saw a swastika.

Pretty funny. How's the game? Also how much does it cost and is there a torrent?

Yes. It's an okay map painter, but might as well play Darkest Hour 2. I don't know and yes.

OOH WE GOT A SUN TZU OVER HERE HOW QUAINT

This is a horrible feeling
I wish the xcom games would have separate difficulty settings for the strategy layer, because I'm even fucking worse at that, and playing on game journalist difficulty to make those parts manageable makes the tactical battles too easy

That being said, I'm playing through valkyria chronicles for the first time and it feels like babby's first tactics, especially with such lenient conditions for permadeath
The only time the difficulty picks up is when it springs bullshit objectives on you in the middle of a mission without giving you a chance to prepare, which is easily thwarted by savescumming

Xcom is mostly management. Quite a few times I found myself selling off alien bits to pay off equipment / building costs, and even then I was at 0$.
Try to get satellite uplinks as fast as possible, with satellites being ready to deploy. That way you manage the global threat level. Capture one of those ethereals to unlock the "base raid" mission.
Save that one only when you need to decrease global threat by 2 (If I knew this, I would have saved the ausies and india)

That sort of shit never really occurs to me to abuse, for some reason I'm one of those faggots that tries to play the game as legit as I can
The cheesiest I ever got was abusing the overtime on the doom counter in xcom 2, because it was either that or game over, aside from being a super fucking obvious and intended exploit

I actually picked up the 3ds landgreaser and finding I kinda hate it. The merc system is nice and the waifu mechanics aren't intrusive but the rest is just awful. The battle 'animations' are a fucking joke and I really dislike their initiative system.

Is there any chance of a new Front Mission game ever?

This game pretty well never gets talked about even though it's in the same league as Shining Force.

It looks very furfaggy.
Just how much is it?

ftfy

English patch somewhere?

FEDA TRANSLATION WHEN

WHEEEEEEEN

FEDA 2 I MEAN FUCK

Yea there is.

Cool. I'll look around then, might be fun if it's anything like Shining Force.

Here is what I've played most recently.

I would love to do or play a SP2 mod based on mecha. I think that would be better then getting a Super Robot Wars game in English because of the amount of moddability and more challenging tactics that comes with it. But I don't know if it is really possible or not. The game is mostly based around tanks and I don't think a reskin and some stat changes will make it feel like you are commanding tanks because of stuff like the penetration system where I think machine guns are useless against tanks while explosives are useful. That could make Patlabor and Gundam 08th MS Team mods not work very well since the main weapons used in those shows are bullet based from what I seen. Still though, I would love to do it and\or play it if it is possible while being fun.

I like this game but man its a pain in the ass to grind jobs, my low level newcomers are like level 14 chemists/thieves and teams in story missions are like level 24

So far I got

>lvl 21 knight waifu Agrias who mastered holy knight

>lvl 26 game hunter…luso? how the fuck did this guy end up in the PSP port? and why not marche who did nothing wrong?

one of the biggest flaws in my team is that I almost never give my troops the items command, and that almost nobody has much training there anyway, thats a bit of a problem when battles drag on too long and casters are low on mana

if you want all the special characters your gonna have to get rid of like all the monsters and generics over 6 total. IIRC max roster is 24
get monks. they can heal hp/sp for allies, cure status effects and even revive. plus they hit hard and have some range projection.

instead of dismissing the generics kill them while theyre stripped and choose to learn their bottom ability, itll teach whoever uses the crystal everything they know

Playing Underwater Ray Romano right now to try and get a head's up on the upcoming west release of the two sequel games for PSVita. Shit's rudimentary except that the Hardest Mode is less of a Hard thing and more of a motion puzzle. As in Enemies get more moves and faster turn speed so you basically ONLY have certain steps to take to win a map. Leaf/Aquaplus has shocked me with its titles before, so I'm hoping for good stuff, here. Story's comfy at the least.

Reading Dynasty Warriors entries back and forth doesn't make you knowledgeable in battles and war, faggot.

Nope. You're stuck with pretty boys and overdesigned shitty knockoff Phantasy Star weapons, now.

And so as to not shit the thread up, some srpgs y'all should look at Yggdra Union. Ignore the faggot's review as he scratched the surface and just concluded 2deep4him in two hours of trying.

Plan out movements on grid, attack, magic, healing, and boosts in battle through cards. Game has a Sword > Axe > Lance > Sword cycle system like Fire Emblem only with more weapons not mentioned. It's fun learning, and you can pick up tricks and experiment long before the game really starts revealing all of its aspects and rules. The downside I've incurred is that sometimes you can utterly outwit supposedly fuck-powerful enemies and then fall complete victim to pre-orchistrated battle events. It's almost as frustrating as QTEs in that they shouldn't take place and punish those that learn the game fast. Otherwise, it's pretty damn good.

user's right. They may seem like arbitrary distinctions, but they're essentially 3 different levels of planning, you knuckle dragging retarded mongoloids.

weebocaust when

Goddammit THIS FUCKING GAME is impossible to play without a guide (or telepathy).

Everything is strange and poorly informed in UI, as expected from Sting.

Shit, I remember that item you can find by taking a mermaid to A FUCKING DESERT.

The game plays pretty easy w/o a guide, so long as you paid attention to the mandatory tutorials. Now the treasure-hunting stuff is a bitch, I'll agree, considering your limited amount of moves and whatnot.

stay frosty faggot :^)

>"You lost because you used powerful technology! You didn't use friendship and believing in yourself like we did!
God I hate japan sometimes
Half of the goddamn game is about upgrading your guns and armor and they still have the gall to try and send the message that the real power comes out of your ass or something

as long as you understand Faldio did nothing wrong, I suppose I can empathize.

ma nigga
It was pretty fun recruiting and raising monsters so that you could beat all factions.
Game cover character = best faction.

What the fuck do you mean Faldio did nothing wrong
Nigga insisted on committing sudoku for absolutely no reason

You stand in a circle and beat each other.

not soon enough