MMO family tree

So I have this most likely autistic idea of making an MMO "family tree", as in what MMO directly inspired other MMO. point being to try and see what came from what. I think its common knowledge that most MMO's are wow copies and that wow copied Everquest but Everquest was also inspired by ultima online.

I just went ahead and added as many I could think of that im sure where they came from. Please, tell me where your favourite MMO came from.

Pretty sure someone already did a sort of MMO-Timeline-Tree diagram a while back. Not like it matters anyway since EQ fucked the genre.

well fuck. if they have someone post it.

Everquest before Ultima Online? That is wrong.

But they play nothing alike.

I should have known to specify that.
Anyone here played lineage1? I want to put that coming from ultima online and then have all the korean grinders come from there but im not really sure.

you sure? I mean the GW1 team even had guys from blizzard helping and shit.

forgot my image.

Just because some of the staff was from Blizzard North doesn't mean it plays like WoW, user.

it isn't just gameplay though, was guildwars inspired by WoW? did it set out to improve on WoW's formula?

Where are MUDs?
Where is Dark Sun Online?
Where is The Realm?
Where is Meridian 59?
Why is UO connected to Everquest?

Jesus christ.
>>>/reddit/
Don't come back.

Where they fuck is Asheron's Call or Dark Age of Camelot?

Guild Wars is nothing at all like WoW:

World of Warcraft:

Guild Wars:

Guild Wars was better than WoW, but it didn't improve upon it, because it didn't try to. It was a completely different game. It managed to somehow play more like a single-player game than the more individual focused WoW did, while still making a more interactive game by putting you into a party. The trading system meant that every major town was essentially a giant market, and players would constantly be shitposting away during festivals. It was a better game and a better community, and one that would have never even died if the original devs had stayed around to just keep maintaining it.

Are there any mmo's worth playing?

FF14 and PSO2

This gets messy because if you want to go full autism technicalities, then GW1 is a CORPG not a MMORPG unlike GW2 which is full MMORPG and more alike WoW.
The best course of action is to probably just forget that MMOs even exist and let it die the death it is longed for.

Do I win OP?

He might have GW connected to WoW because Anet formed from ex-Blizzard North employees.

Guild Wars isn't really WoW inspired, for what it's worth. Guild Wars 2, however, is WoW inspired and so belongs in a different branch from GW1.

100 hours in gimp.

assuming this

God what a fucking disaster

What I'm getting from this is that Mike O'Brien, Patrick Wyatt, James Phinney, and Eric Flannum were the most talented people to ever work in Blizzard.

so where am i supposed to connect guild wars then?

some documentary awhile ago where the devs talked about how they were sort of inspired by ultima online. Also I have never played any of that shit so I really dont know where to put that.

To something pre-WoW. The games only released ~6 months apart user, that's hardly time for WoW to have had any real influence on GW1.

There are quite a few MMOs that are even harder to connect, for example eve online or face of mankind.

Should've known that London would be the epicentre of everything bad in the world

For some reason this image reminded me of Zeta Reticuli

wait really? I mean I remember playing them around the same timebut i didn't think it was that close. I suppose I really was retarded to think WoW inspired GW.

I too, have no clue where the fuck i would put this, but then I never played eve anyway so eh.

No NCSoft games like Lineage 2. OP you do not have the minnimum autism required to complete this quest.

I think Asheron's Call launched before Everquest. I remember looking at the boxes for both on day 1 retail and picked AC because EQ looked gay.

forgot asherons call

So far this conversation is like a Christian version of where humans come from.

Go back to basic, literal fucking BASIC and FORTRAN and pick out some text based rpgs for Commodores from Radio Shack and Apple I computers, step up to 1990-ish and look at Lars Penski's LP mud, followed by Diku and Discworld and a million other variants. Sometime after that you get EQ, UO, and other shit. WoW is just an imbreed version of EQ fathered by WC1-3 born out of greed to absorb "the fucking" casual dollas. Runescape and AC was about that time too. Everything after that is after the toxic fallout of capitalism.

Ragnarok Online is in its own little world, whose spiritual successors immediately merge with WoW and never looked back.