Cancelled Games Thread

You know the drill, post games that are cancelled.

You can also post games that are in vaporware

The western release of Phantasy Star Online 2.

This one would have been a nice alternative to EvE Online and looks like it actually would be fun.

It sort of became DTR

Still would have preferred this over Shadow the Edgelord and that piece of shit Sanic 06

I just wanted to play as a Zombie.
Other than Stubbs.

There's also Silent Hills, Bomberman 3DS, Chocobo Racing 3D, Goldeneye on XBLA, D4 Season 2, it hurts goddamn it

I-It hurts.

does it count if the game was drastically changed since its announcement? Dragon Quest 9 was going to have realtime combat at first based on like 30 seconds of trailer footage but they changed it.

LET'S GO BIG GUY

I wish this came out. I loved the tactical shooters of the 2000s like Republic Commando and Brothers in Arms

I didn't even realize Scalebound was cancelled.

What was their reasoning? Kamiya is a hack?

World of speed seemed like a fun game from the demos although it suffered from retarded casualized game design in some parts.

We could have had Dinosaur-riding Lolis: the game.

nobody knows. Phil Spencer came out and said it was "best for gamers" or something along those lines. Not a huge loss though, it really never looked that good.

It's infuriating that nintendo was able to shut down a project they had almost NOTHING to do with.

I don't know about you but I have been dying to play a fun dragon game since Divinity 2 and this one did look kinda fun. Giant monsters and flying a dragon but the protag does seem donte tier though.

I think that Goldeneye remake on the Wii was a preemptive move to cockblock Microsoft on that. They probably would've done the same with Perfect Dark and Banjo&Kazooie if Zero and Nuts&Bolts hadn't released yet.

Sort of? Nigger that looks almost exactly like Dead to Rights with some different levels, even the GAC are in the game

What the hell are you talking about? Oerfect Dark and B&K are 100% Rare's property.

Even more so because the XBLA port was shut down in favor of CoD Bond.

I'm hoping Yoko Taro will use the assets to make another Drakenguard.

Anyway, we will never get the actual fallout 3.

Yoko Taro is a hack

Do you have source for this?
Didn't Phil Spencer say it wasn't like COWADOODY?

Well fuck you Level9

Isn't that the point? His games are trash, he freely admits it.

NEVER EVER

Nigger what? Gears of War 4 had a MC that was white, had blonde hair and blue eyes. The game was most likely canceled because Kamiya and crew were most likely using funds from the game and instead used it on NieR.

It's probably the reason why instead of it releasing in 2017, it was rumored they were asking for another TWO YEARS to finish the fucking game.

It was literally just a corridor tech demo faggot, a real game wouldn't look nowhere as good as it.
If that was the case every unreal engine 4 game would look like their hotel room demo and run at 60fps on a gtx 780.

It doesnt make sense to use it on Nier though when Kamiya isnt directing it. The only thing I can think of right now is that the game was in dev hell, MS wanted to implement online co-op which Platinum likely struggled with, and it was still years from being finished. I just wonder what Phil Spencer meant by Scalebound's cancelation being good for those poor saps that own an Xbone unless it meant that said infinite MS money could be spent on more timed exclusives/convincing publishers to port shit.

Fan translation exists, so who cares?

Don't you talk shit about my moonfu.

probably the same way as Phantom dust 2's cancellation was "good", it wasn't shaping up to be any good. Platinum seems to be entering a rut; all their recent games have been getting worse and worse, for whatever reason.

Demoralization happens when you milk a cow too much and the CEO flees.

In defense of the PD2 devs, MS really screwed them over. I've read they got $5 million to do a multiplayer reboot, but MS decided said reboot would have single player as well and the devs wouldnt be given a higher budget.

That's not the reason PD's reboot got cancelled, dumbshit.

Forgot to mention it, but as with Platinum its probably because there isnt much that can be done besides maybe stagnate. It makes sense that their licensed releases are forgettable, but after Bayonetta 2 its like where can you go from there? Star Fox 0 I also heard only had Platinum doing the visuals while shiggy fucked up the gameplay, maybe Nier 2 sets them on the right track since I hear thats shaping up to be promising.

I got to play the only official English build of that game at Pax Prime. Got a cool mousepad too.

Yes it is you fucking sped.

Yes, platnium's problems are that they're a little too specialized at this point, doesn't help that mikami fucked off to Toddworks and Shekelmax to go make a mediocre game. Of course with Nier 2, it's not just Platinum working on the game, you also have the people who worked with the other Nier/drakengard, so i doubt it's going to go too wrong. Not sure about Star Fox though, like, playing that game it seems like Platinum did more than they're letting on, and Miyamoto just forced the gimmick controls on them while dictating to platinum what to do. At this point i can't really see him working on games all that hard.

t:Darkside employee trying to soften the blow. Or do you really believe that bullshit about how the execs liked the game, but still fired everyone and mocked up a trailer featuring NOTHING of what the devs actually made.

What a surprise.
If that had been their intention, they'd have just done it. Changing the protagonist was a non-issue, because if you subscribe to "diversity" in vidya, then you're the kind of cunt who revels in the backlash.

I can't tell if you're pretending to be retarded or not.

It's alright, don't sprain your ten neurons on my account.

t. libtard

Kikerosoft demands wearing down normally-independent Platinum. The only specific forced changes I know of are protagonist (from loli to donte with beatz) and co-op support that was too much for the hardware (performance was already an issue in SP). The original concept for Scalebound was apparently Kamiya's autism baby since his youth, and he and the other dev leads had taken months off for stress management prior (which is something for nips). All this was also heavily delaying it. It was likely Platinum that quit, or a mutual disintegration.

tl;dr assburger nips can't handle the corporate meddling bantz

No emos survived when they cancelled it.

Everyone was shitting on it at viewings and supposedly it didn't play great at all. The UWP for the PC version is "Out there" in the proto community but it's unlikely we'll see it leaked because the guy who leaked the Dead Rising 4 proto got arrested and sentenced. If we're lucky we might get footage (Like Halo Mega Bloks which was also a shitstorm and a half) but apparently the game wasn't good at all and the big kicker that MS and Plat never discussed is that only Boss Fights were 4p co-op and a small section of the game. Single player was bad. Platinum couldn't make it good. There was good impressions of the behind closed doors displays but apparently it was very difficult and time consuming to get used to the dragon link system instead of it being intuitive like other plat games.

Also, apparently MS funded it till cancellation and it was both sides agreeing a termination than anything super dramatic which is why there was no weird blame game outside of neofag trying to stir shit and blame MS because "Kamiya can do nothing wrong". Would still like to see the proto though. N1D if you're there, you got your challenge for the next few years sorted out.

Supposedly when Iwata got pissy about it it came down to Bobby Kottick on the final word who decided he'd rather keep on Nintendo's good side because he could have told Iwata to fuck off. So he instead played businessman, offered the remake to Nintendo and then offered the COD MW2 marketing and timed Maps deal to Microsoft to keep them happy.

It was a shitty deal as while the Eurocom game was decent for "Bond slapped in the COD engine and Sean Bean replaced by Gaz/Ghost". Everyone lost out as Reggie wasn't a useless fuck and got an amazing deal out of MS including Rare titles on VC and a Viva Pinata port published by THQ in exchange.

PD2 devs were known to have a sketchy management and Sony had kicked them out previously after they developed some of the Ratchet and Clank spin offs because they believed they were misappropriating money. Insomniac were the ones who reccomended them to MS before Sony booted them (As they helped prototype Chaos Squad in Sunset OD) .There was a huge disconnect between their artists (Who leaked the PD footage) and the producers handling the money. Supposedly story goes that the studio was heavily in debt because of lost contracts from Sony and 2K and their own failed protos. One of their creditors was told they had signed with MS. Went to MS to demand money. MS got pissed because the project was turning out badly and feared it was a Sega/Gearbox situation again. So they waited till Darkside demanded more money to can the project as it basically assumed their fears.

It's a shit situation for the people below Darkside's management but if your studio gets a rep for that sort of shit. You can't escape it. Especially when Sony gives you the boot for the same crap (Especially when those Ratchet spin offs sold decent and Sony was planning on pumping more out till they got Leery of Darkside's use of funds and booted them from the R&C reboot project for the film).

does anyone remember the announced "game" called Sadness set to be released on the Wii? I quote game because it was nothing but live action footage showing off their concept with some flashlight ideas. Of course nothung ever came out of it, but they refused to officially camcel the game for years.

Offtopic: anyone else having issues browsing the site on android? I swear I don't click any ad and yet it always try to open the store.

I remember.

funny how far ahead of the competition they were, nowadays you see Titanfall and that new For Honor game using the same systems

they could have been the first on market…
plus the Tiberium universe is crazy interesting

Prey 2, sad to see it was cancelled, gameplay was unique…openworld bounty hunting aliens who each might have different capabilities that actually is related to the first Prey

now the 'Prey' we have is a generic space shooter with some campaign with shadow monsters

What makes me the maddest about this is the name. Why the fuck would you call a sequel the exact same name as the original game?

What game?

I think he is referring to this one.

To piss on the previous devs and the fans.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2

you mean that nintendo DS one?

Both. A pocket game based on the original Stampers "My Garden" spec and the actual 360 Viva Pinata. MS commissioned Climax Brighton to port to PC and Wii but when the GoldenEye deal fell through, MS cancelled the port. Also Rare had a way to hook the DS version to the 360 so you could take Pinatas on the go but Nintendo flipped out so that idea was killed as well.

It was pretty ridiculous the lengths MS tried to reach out to Nintendo back then.

Isn't that Donte?

Brand erasure to spite the studio that escaped, of course.

I can't bring myself to remember all the other games that could have been

There are already Dragon's Dogma Online and Let It Die. Take your pick.

The game was never even playable. All I know is that Capcom, when they actually give a fuck, can turn out some really great action RPGs.

kek?

thats the cannibal in CoP right?

Never, ever forget.

Is the reboot Prey confirmed shit? I haven't looked.

The second half of MGSV.

Everyday I am afraid of this

I'm glad this failed. They're shit at marketing and the "free" aspect would have surely included microtransactions

At this point all I want is the full version of this song.

At least that contest, for the moment, felt like it mattered because it gave them an equal amount of artwork to make your decision on. Mighty No. 9's contest was a formality because they already had one decided beforehand but needed more shekels so they hastily made a contest where I think not even half of the characters had a good amount of artwork, except for maybe 3 of them. Some were just very rough sketches.

It'd probably turn out the same generic game regardless of the design change versus the one that actually was released. At least they could have a little more fun with the humor which I think the original released one lacked among many other things. Who thought it was a good idea to drastically change the art style of the entire game because of 12-year-old testers for a game that rated MA, they shouldn't legally be able to play, is an idiot. Still one of the stupidest things I've heard for game development.

wasn't this shown at e3 or some other convention?

I still get mad about this on a regular basis

underrated post

FUCK YOU, VAMPIRE

game looks pretty crappy tbh

That is because it is

how are the other LoK games? I'm downloading Soul Reaver, Soul Reaver 2, and Defiance at the moment.

The only one that is not worth your time is Blood Omen 2 but you really aren't losing out by not playing it, since it is almost entirely self-contained. Also always play in release order.

Gameplay is kind of good at best but the writing is great.

gotcha, I'll probably skip Blood Omen 2 then that one did look the worst.

so I'm guessing by today's standards that means its actually a game worth playing.

This.
The gameplay is not the focus os the game, you should just enjoy it for the narration and dialogue.

Rainbow Six: Patriots had an interesting premise. Instead we got a MP shooter with DLC heroes and skins.

Wasn't that game canned cause the story was too redpilled?

Pretty shitty tbh, especially int he gameplay and story department. No likeable characters at all for example. They're really archaic for present day standards.

Damn I thought that looked like some Total Annihilation sequel.

Rare is a Microsoft thing now though. You can't buy most of their games on Nintendo consoles.

You're right and it's silly to want your favorite franchise revived in current year, but I want another Generals so bad.

it is

The Witcher Rise Of The White Wolf.
Was one of the canned games that still hurts plus the call of cthulhu trilogy.

I think it was canned because it cost too much money, since they used Unreal engine 3,5 or so.

They did have a SP slice of the game which looked pretty good, something like vegas but with better cover shooting.

Looking up on it, it was a mix of being expensive and Ubishit wanted to sink all their money into The Division along with the fact that the storyline was not deemed "Politically Correct" i.e. some executives got salty that a lot of people were sympathizing with the Patriots when they were supposed to be the "Bad Guys"

Wait, Ubisoft actually put "Not gameplay footage" when they were promoting this game? That seems so nice after the shit they pulled with Watch Dogs and The Division.

Speaking of games canceled by Microsoft because they wanted to stick their big clumsy Micro-manage corporate fingers into every aspect of the development of a Japanese game and made the development a living hell until the demands are so unreasonable that there's nothing left but to funnel the money into side-projects that are actually making progress while explaining to Bill why they have to delay yet again.

I'm still pissed that MS holds all of the licensing for the project and the best we got was some half-assed 3DS single-player "spiritual successor".

Eh, the playing the Japanese version isn't so bad

This makes me kind of sad actually.

Maybe some make-a-wish cancer kid will be told the secret of how the series ends and he can take that to his grave

Apparently they fully developed a map of the Soviet Union for the fourth chapter, but was scrapped because 7th gen console couldn't run it.

I remember being hyped for this when zombie games were scarce and still scary.

Was something to do with voice chat not working right and Microsoft's Japanese branch being incredibly inexperienced and retarded that both companies just fought all the time over features like that. One of the reasons MS set their own studio up in Japan and filled it with ex-Team Andromeda was so a situation like that never happened again. And then that studio only got to make one game before they had to shut because of the clusterfuck of the 360 (Goddamn they should have held Phantom Dust off as a 360 launch title)

It's insane MS could have bad relations with devs like L5 while having such amazingly good relations with Sega, Team Ninja and FROM during that era. But then there was a legendary story that while Capcom were pitching the "Capcom 5" to MS first (As Mikami thought only the Xbox or GC would have the proper grunt to run RE4 the way he wanted), Microsoft's negotiation team were so clueless, Mikami walked out and the meeting ended.

There was only so much Seamus Blackley (AKA the man who pulled off all the successful Japanese deals) to go around it seems.

Doesn't help that the lead devs and writers were fired from Ubisoft as well.

GORILLIONS OF DORRA

TFW you are one of 0.14% of players with Vanguard cheevos in Nosgoth.

And to think a developer could go into the gutter so fast.

From the top of my head:
The original borderlands (grimdark, located on a barren desert prison planet, hopelessness and savagery heavy with a bit of mad max style thown into the mix, non retarded artstyle and none lolsorandom humor. Put your own gun together from parts.)
The original dead island (your plane crashes into a zombie infested island, you lose your wife and go to rescue her. Focused on puzzles, combat is deadly and environment more like far cry 2.)
They (aliens invade, you get a customizable gun and possibly brain damage and hallucinations)
The original hellgate london (more rpg/diablo ish with more classes, actual storyline where you begin as a survivor, and when you reach a sanctuary you would had to decide which faction to join and receive training from, actual sandbox environment with semi open buildings and not linear streets)
Thief 4 dagger of ways (thief reboot in modern days, actually semi retelling the originals)
That Elf duel game