Other urls found in this thread:

dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/
emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Windows_95/98/ME_emulators
old-games.ru/game/1917.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfenstein_3D#Development
buildxp.deathmask.net/
khanduras.net/repo/diablopatchfinal-rar/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because save states are for newfags and children who don't like a real challenge.

Space Quest 4 and Arena, ATM.

Getting out the manual and looking up the copy protection password every time is not a good challenge.

dosbox seems kinda messy since you need to manually set the processor speed or something like Ultima will game over in 3 seconds.

then again, the Atari ST emulator I have savestates just fine.
Guess people just don't care about dosgames.

there are unofficial builds with save states

ELITE 2 FRONTIER MOTHERFUCKERRR!!!

Its called installing a DOS VM and using snapshots.

But it does, user.

Just played through the Chasm. Gotta say the dismembering system is great idea, levels itself are okay but it still ain't Quake except for third chapter. Fuck those places with tight rooms and assraping berserkers or whatever they are.

Now I need to figure some other Doom clone to play. Already played Radix, Cyclones and Cybermage through.

Better question is why are you such a massive casual.

Just finished System Shock
God what a great game even if the UI takes 2/3 of the fucking screen. Can't wait to try 2

If you want a game with similar gameplay sans the shooting and lots of humor check out Normality.

MY NIGGA!

I want to play Diablo 2 in it but I can't make DOS-BOX to work!

I mean Diablo 1.

Diablo 1 is not a DOS game.

Not their fault that's as far as you got.

Just getting into it myself.

Know any good websites to download games from?

Myabandonware, Abandonia and Emuparadise.

Not sure about the DOS version but the remastered version lets you hide most of the UI. SS2 will probably be a disappointment in comparison it's still pretty good.

Probably gonna do some of pic related/its sequel later tonight, after my brisk walk in the great frozen north.

This game came out before Doom and it features many things that Doom didn't have yet it barely got the recognition it deserved.

Ultima Underworld's legacy isn't in itself as a game. Since admittedly it's kind of obsolete now because of later rpgs.

Rather it's legacy is more as a jumping off point for other rpgs. It's like the Wolfenstein 3D of first person rpgs. It created concepts and popularized them to the point where almost every first person rpg is essentially a spiritual successor to it. There was even a full fledged spiritual successor in the form of Arx Fatalis.

The Wolfenstein 3D comparison is pretty apt since John Carmack created Wolfenstein 3D's engine as an experiment to see if he could write a faster renderer.

Yeah i can see that, how's the sequel anyways? Never played it.

More of the same for the most part. It controls similarly to the original but has the premise of the Avatar going to alternate dimensions that are controlled by Ultima 7's antagonist the Guardian.

It's render window is slightly larger and it has more variety in it's locations. It's really a toss up as to which one is better since there's compelling arguments for both.

i cant get into any DOS games, i guess im too much of a newfag to videogames to enjoy pixels

All videogames have pixels.

Everything you see on your monitor is made up of pixels, you dummy.

I need to play the Space Quest games. They look fantastic.

Try the Mac version. It has the best soundtrack out of them all. Not even joking.

I feel the exact same way, no recognition. On the other hand I do agree with , every other RPG being a spiritual successor. At the same time, I would love to see another game capture the exact same feeling UW gave me, though that's a bit of a pipe dream. I had hopes for Delver and I still have hope for Underworld Ascension, but I don't think that anything will give me the same feeling I'm looking for. Grimrock II came very close I think, it was wonderful and I'd recommend it, and I hope that a third comes along, but ultimately it didn't scratch the same itch.

As for the sequel, it's very good too. Definitely play it and savor it, I'm pretty sure you'll never get another experience exactly like these two games.

user, I…

For all the retards still using a command line:

dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/

You're welcome.

Nigger both of those games allow you to save at any point in time

You don't

disagreed, ultima underground is still an amazing game despite not being about to mouse look up and down

good atmosphere, good characters, good gameplay, I played this sucker for the first time only last year and I loved it

sir.

But yes, it's pretty great for all that it offers in my opinion.

I'm not saying it isn't fun. Wolfenstein 3D is also fun

it's still a dated as fuck game and more of a relic compared to other first person rpgs released later.

honestly no time for vidia, too busy modifying settings and mods

It's better than anything Bethesda's shat out, and not a whole lot of other devs have really tried much in the way of first person RPG sims.

Right now I am playing Betrayal at Krondor and just finished Chapter 1. All in all I am having a blast, the combat is good, the story is ok for now, the atmosphere is also good. The only thing I dislike are those riddle chests since I suck at riddles.

That's not saying much.

Good taste, m8.

For me it's pics related

Why won't you spoil yourself? Getting the strongest sword in the game is rather difficult without spoilers, for example.

I am using a walkthrough to find where the side-quests are, because I don't want to miss anything. To solve them is straight-forward once you find the quest giver, since it's either got there and talk to that guy, or go there and kill that guy, or go there and open that chest. I also used it to solve some of the riddles

Still playing Raptor, but also rememebered an old Windows game I used to play: Runner, you move through a level activating switches and collecting a fuel can while some asshole(s) chases you. But I can't seem to get it to work, it keeps complaining the dat file is missing.

Oh come on, DOS ain't that hard.

You can however attempt to run Windows 95 in there. "Attempt" being the key word. Windows 3.1 seems to work pretty well though with some setup.

Then why play the original?

That one I mentioned isn't so straightforward. It spans several chapters so you can't go back to fix it if you miss one part.

Thanks for the tip.

Playing it under win7 without problems except borked aspect ratio.

Legend of Grimrock I and II are more a successor of Dungeon Master game series than Ultima Underworld games. Even so, I disliked the LoG original skill system.

*than of Ultima Underworld games

I meant this one.

Somehow master of magic is still one of the best of its genre.

I wouldn't say one of. It's still the best at its particular niche. Age of Wonders (the first one) came close, but every sequel in that series got further away from what made Master of Magic great.

Space Quests really are, but I'm tempted to suggest skipping to VGA, which means skipping 1-3. I dunno how much EGA you can stomach, but props if you start the series from the beginning.

Shhh, fucker don't ruin it. :^)

Recently downloaded Alien Legacy. If you like to explore planets, build colonies and then dealing with shit in pic 3, give it a spin

Question: Is there a reasonably complete way to emulate old versions of Windows (95-XP) WITH hardware 3D (GLIDE, D3D, and OpenGL) acceleration?

This page somewhat outdated summary seems to suggest that that it's sort of possible, but configuration is tricky:
emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Windows_95/98/ME_emulators

Until somebody forks one of these with official support, is there some sort of prepackaged version or something with pirated Windows already installed and configured?

Thanks for reminding me that the Superb Owl is this weekend and that I get to shitpost on /sp/ about it.

old-games.ru/game/1917.html
Well, since you're playing obscure Russian games, try this - apparently, it's an FPS with non-Euclidean architecture.

IIRC, PCem is just about the closest to an 'emulation' of Early Windows

Why is it so hard to mount images with DosBox, I want to play Quarantine but I cant stand the music rip

This user knows whats up. I pretty much use PCem for Win95/98 stuff (also from my experience, seems to run Build engine games a little better than DosBox.)

I ended up finishing Space Quest 4 last night, which was a lot of fun. Man, I haven't beaten an old adventure game like this since I was a teen. I went directly back and installed SQ5 for more tonight!

Im looking for a DOS game, i think it was in one of the recommended lists but i cant find them
Its an action adventure game, in the recommended games description i remember it said it was kinda like msdos metroid or at least inspired
its not Abuse or Blackthorne, does anyone know what im talking about?
Thanks in advance

Flashback?

Somewhere on here?

No it was more obscure than that

No, but I remember someone mentioning it on past threads and im sure its on some infographic just not on there

Im gonna keep searching and update when if I find it

The game came out BEFORE fucking Wolfenstein-3D.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfenstein_3D#Development

I like Arx Fatalis for the same reason I like Ultima Underworld: an underworld that's comfy and that invites and rewards calm exploration while you quietly dig into the warmth of a volcano.

Probably because the games themselves include proper saving.

Cobra Mission was the last thing I played with DOS BOX.
I believe before that I tried Ultima 7 and WarCraft 2 so I could finally beat the last map (if I knew the dragons weren't infinite I would have beat it in the 90's).

Zeliard?
Give us more info.

Not Zeliard, I don´t have much info about it other than it said it was inspired by Metroid or that it was kinda like MS-DOS Metroid tho from the screenshots I saw it looked more lineal, maybe, I can´t remember much else
Im on DOS games archives searching for it, its going to take a while but i will find it

Turrican 2?

Are you sure it's not something like Exile for Amiga or something?

Nope, not Turrican, the sprites were similar tho, pretty big but the main character looked more realistic and also a bit bigger, the graphics looked a bit more zoomed in too. Damn Im sorry im sure I will find it when i stop looking for it lol

No, im sure it was a MSDOS game
Thanks for helping tho, I will sure update with the game name when I find it

Saw a gameplay video some time ago and got interested but then I forgot it.
Seems to crash when it comes about some missing file though.

Was it Claw by Monolith?
Granted, it's not exactly for DOS though

If you remember anything other than it was sidescroller, something of Metroid clone or something, put it up and maybe someone remembers it

Does PCem emulate a 3DFX card for Glide support, and/or is it compatible with the real hardware?

Scratch that, the smaller version seems to work and it's in English too

Gonna try later, somehow control feels like from Marathon

Windows XP can run most of that shit without a problem, you dumbnig.

Wow, it's really quite bad. I'll stick to the command line interface unless the program actually needs windows for some reason.

Do you mean Vigilance on Talos V?

It's kinda obscure and A LOT like metroid, it even has the morphball upgrade.

Well, not Blood. That's the game I want to play.

Can PCem run Mechwarrior 3?

I cannot get that stubborn motherfucker to run on anything. I even built a ~2004 era PC out of a pile of dead PCs from the trash, and even THAT is too modern to run it.

Maybe if I pull out the graphics card and try to run it on the integrated graphics?

Dual-boot 98 or one of the updated versions of 2000 then.

You know you can turn that off in the original right?

Thought the Enhanced Edition is literally the portable version that had that one mod, you probably know what I mean. Speaking of, I had this thought when playing SS1 like two days ago, it's literally Resident Evil, or rather, what Resident Evil was trying to be. Since RE7 came out, it's literally fucking SS1.

Fucking weird.

SS1 is a cinematic FPS with ghost zombies?

XP shouldn't have too too much trouble with older games, although you are in that spot between full classic support and modern emulation like DosBox. I remember Windows 98 games being a bitch in XP at times.

Where to download that?

Found some guy's tutorial to make it run on xp, it runs perfectly although it crashes when I exit the game, can't win'em all I guess. Here's the tutorial if someone else needs it, it works for other games too.
buildxp.deathmask.net/

You can have a pretty decent time with BloodCM.

Pretty much, but It feels more like 1/2 with a bit of the beta version of 4, and I believe it's what the original dev team of Resident Evil wanted the original game to be like judging from what they've said and released about the conceptual ideas.

I sincerely love SS1, it has that juicy factor.

Found the underage

DOSBox works fine when running Imperium Galactica and Panzer General. Just set it to slow_386 and off you go.

Holy fuck, yep that was the game, thank you so much

kys

Just play belzebub

The Mac soundtrack is garbage compared to the DOS version + a good sound card or soundfont. It sounds super dry and over-produced IMO.

The old hacks tended to require DOSBox to work on newer systems, whereas Enhanced, though its features are basically identical, is actually a native Windows port, so it's less buggy and much faster.

Glad I could help, have fun.

Google knows:
khanduras.net/repo/diablopatchfinal-rar/

Forgot to add that the windowed mode has correct aspect ratio.

Have you tried any of the things suggested in the pcgamingwiki page?

while master of orion 2 is the best 4x game ever made, MoO still has a place in my heart

I prefer production distribution sliders from MoO over erecting "buildings" on planets from MoO2+ and every civ clone in existence. Other than that, I agree that MoO2 was better in every other aspect.