Apocalypse Now: The Videogame

Apocalypse Now, the official licensed vidya, by Coppolla himself.
Now on Kikestarter

Have we jumped the shark?

gematsu.com/2017/01/apocalypse-now-game-kickstarter-campaign-launched

Other urls found in this thread:

8ch.net/pdfs/res/4633.html#4633
kickstarter.com/projects/613356213/friday-the-13th-the-game
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Overrated movie, like any other Hollywood flick.

it's gonna be shit.

But we already have an Apocalypse Now/Heart of Darkness game.

And just like the movie it was a pretentious piece of shit

As cool as this sounds to me, I cant help but feel let down because a concept like this is being held hostage by crowdfunding, plus theres no gameplay or prototype footage yet. Plus they already seem to have partners.

wtf now i hate apocalypse now

>>>/cuckchan/

Elaborate, how was it pretentious or overrated?

Its an awful cuckchan meme spread by newfags.

Pretty much. Some things aren't interactive experiences. You might as well make "Mona Lisa: The Platformer".

I'd play it.

that sounds like a great idea for a video game, but that could be my unabashed love of Vietnam games talking.

I never said it was pretentious and i think that is overrated because there were much better films coming out at the time but this preachy borefest got a lot of undeserved praise mostly because of name recognition.

Oh shit sorry, got you mixed up with another user since I didn't read the IDs.

I guess it mainly got attention since I've read it had a disaster of a film shoot. What other movies would you recommend though, for films released around the same time?

1979 was a great year for movies. alien, rocky 2, the deer hunter, the wanders (I think), mad fucking max.

Nah

What said and Zombie 2, Ogro, The Warriors, Heartland, The Amityville Horror, Stalker, Galaxy Express 999, etc.

I too can read books.

It's funny because it is a smart movie, you just right off anything requiring to use your brain as nonsensical pseudo-intellectualism.

I'm not sure how they're going to do it without adding a bunch of battles that weren't in the film. There are only two scenes like that and PBR Street Gang doesn't really participate in either.
What could be interesting is showing the stuff Willard was doing before the movie. Sneaking through the jungle sabotaging and assassinating could be cool.

Whats pretensious about it though?
Sure it had some missteps and Full Metal Jacket is superior, but it just shows how fucking insane and sometimes alien war can be with even best of the best not being able to cope with it.

You want a preachy pretensious Vietnam movie you watch Casulties of War.

I think Coppola always wished he could live up to his student George Lucas, now he's trying to fill that giant shadow George left by not only never directing a bad film (Coppola already fell short of George's impressive resume), but by also making great video games.

I'd rather just replay far cry 2

Was FMJ that good? I don't remember jack shit after the obviously stellar boot camp.

The first half of the film was the only good one, easily Kubrick's worst film overall.

Except this one is garbage.
I can not believe how much praise this game gets, seeing how fucking shit it is.

IT AIN'T ME
IT AIN'T ME

Post yfw you realized you will never be an old man desperately trying to appear cool and hip to San Francisco hipsters. While Lucas was behind things like KOTOR, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Star Wars: Galaxies, Battlefront, and more, Coppola will be behind Gone Home with an Apocalypse Now skin.

Here's a better Apocalypse Now/Heart of Darkness

This will be a survival horror RPG actually

Why would you play that trash?

You don't remember the Sniper baiting and Mickey Mouse you Dumbo?
Do you suck dicks?

I bet you liked a Clockwork Orange faggot

I thought we already had an Apocalypse Now videogame…

Are you retarded?

The only influence Lucas had on those is that the first two got fucked in the ass to be released on time for the holidays while the last two were killed by retarded decisions (making Galaxies enjoyable to a wider audience aka. casuals and killing BF3 on the womb).

The only way I see this working is by doing something like The Godfather did, having a player created character do a parallel adventure.

No, thats my point

Fuckoff Pottery Man

but we already have it

Lucas is the greatest story teller of the last 40 years.

Jar Jar is meant to be annoying, or did you miss the fact that Qui Gon can't stand him?

Fucking A user

Its time to stop posting

Not gonna happen, cuckboy.

>>>Holla Forums

I like the atmosphere

Wouldn't be the first time anons liked or hated something out of nothing but pure spite.

Pleb detected.

8ch.net/pdfs/res/4633.html#4633

Nobody cares about your liberal arts thesis, cuck.

Theres barely any
OG FarCry cheese worked like a SyFy original and had more atmosphere than that piece of shit.

Its the most repetitive boring shit I've ever had the mispleasure to almost finishing.

Its obvious bait by Holla Forums tier Holla Forums
Stop replying

I feel bad for you people honestly, you've been brainwashed into hating great films.

What you're experiencing is called cognitive dissonance.

EoD redux is trash. It's not a playable game.

One of my favorite movies.
But it really doesn't need a video game.

that's the joke user

Its literally a bigger more accurate Battlefield 1942 with less polish made by one autist.

Exactly what I was going to post.

Also…
It's going to be low budget on par with a Telltale game. If they had to make it, I'd want it to have high-end graphics to accurately portray the dense jungles of Vietnam and capture all the surreal lighting + effects that were present in the movie. Not going to happen through crowdfunding.

It's babby's first mindfuck. It's so rarely done in games, that even the worst efforts are considered groundbreaking. Many who loved it probably didn't see the movie or read the book it was based off of.

It's going to be an FPS actually, but I don't see it happening without some big name investors/publishers, I agree.

Nah, I enjoyed the story even if the game was shit, I've seen plenty of mindfucks and I fervently love Edgar Alan Poe and Junji Ito, though I've yet to read Heart of Darkness, planning to though.
Could have been so much more if those later sections like the manequins came out earlier.

Almost forgot
I always felt like the game would end up hot garbage, still, I would have ratjer seen it released than to it being canned due to censorcucks.

They say in the video that they're going for a survival-horror game and don't want to turn it into an FPS, which would be the case under big publishers.

In all seriousness though

Wew, all the great things that we had happen in 2016 and yet the game industry is still shit

FPS as in First Person view, and theres likely going to be shooting involved in your part even if not the main focus.

Reminder
kickstarter.com/projects/613356213/friday-the-13th-the-game
this one is shaping up to be an actual good game though

Stop being purposely obtuse nigger you know what I mean.

This is the best vidya version of Heart of Darkness.

We are living in a sad time where corporations are so shameless that makes customers pay for the development of the product they want to sell to them.

Why would they do this?
They definitely should not do this.

I still want to see another good vietnam game.

It certainly scared the shit of me as a kid

Banner Saga has had 3 Kickstarters for each of its games.

>>>/will/
>>>/dew/

Who did Banner Saga again?

ur mum lol

A Platoon game would have made more sense. This doesn't. Between the start and the end, there is a long section of the movie without fighting except for the bridge scene hell, the MC doesn't really fight, so this is really just a game in name only.

My mother is 73 years old, with no computer engineering experience and can't even use her cellphone properly.

Something that the vast majority of people have not seen can't be overrated

Stoic
Three guys
Nevermind, apparently the second one was developed with the sales from the furst one but it didn't sell enough for a sequel.
They're alright I guess

Remember when Obsidian said it was contacted by a big publisher who wanted to use them to make a Kickstarter? "So basically you guys get a free game and a new IP to boot" "Well, yeah"

But i thought we already had an Apocalypse Now vidya

it ain't me

Haha. I like some of the people working on it and the idea of another HoD adaptation in video games, but I know exactly the shit storm that'll happen the moment people realize the game isn't coming out in 30 or less minutes.

You say that as if it was a bad thing

Is this nigger for real? Nobody has seen Apocalypse fucking Now? Maybe in your millenial group of friends but i can assure you that this is one of the most watched war films of all time.

Far Cry 2 already exists.

FarCry2 is shit

Any adaptation of Heart of Darkness into a video game is either going to suck or will fail as an adaptation

B-b-but he does so ironically!

at this point i cant tell whats pretending to be retarded and whats not

Hello Reddit

What the fuck am I reading?

Literally Metal Gear Solid but shittier

Enjoying your ending faggot?

Is there any practical purpose for having your horse shit? Like does it distract enemies?

That's some mighty fine kool-aid you're drinking.

None, A Dog's Life did it first.

It will make vehicle patrols skid and daze the passengers.

I HAD FINALLY FORGOTTEN THAT FUCKING COVER LOOKING AT ME AND MOCKING ME AND MY CURIOSITY, TELLING ME TO GET IT EVERYTIME I WENT TO A RETAIL STORE TO BUY VIDYA, THAT FUCKING GAME WAS EVERYWHERE, I KNEW IT THE GAME WAS SHIT BUT SOMETHING COMPELLED ME TO GET IT, FUCK YOU FOR REMINDING ME OF IT

So according to Kojima, military jeeps and trucks cant handle running over horse shit?

It was cool, you could pee and shit on people.

Ahah so funny amirite gaijin?

FUCK YOU

I thought that's what the hamburger tapes were for.

How is this supposed to work? Apocalypse Now was little more than a walking simulator movie and one scene at the end where the MC sneaks in to Brando's room at the temple. Are we going to be on a boat for 99% of the game then sneak and do QTE for the last 5 mins?

It will be a survival horror according to the kikestarter vid.

Apex autism

Okay.

The prequels get better by watching The Clone Wars(minus Jar Jar/C3P0 focused episodes)
Sheev and the Empire get better with the Vong
NuWars is shit exept for those dank Death Troopers and Tank Troopers

That whole goddamn family, man.

I love the water.

"Immersive" and "horror" sound like buzzwords. At least it isn't a 3rd-Person-Shooter.
"Psychedelic" could mean an entire range of things.
What type? Do they mean RPG as in RPG mechanics, or do they mean "Role Playing Game" as in you play the role of Captain Benjamin Willard?
I've never played any of those games, but I've heard good things about those games.
Greatest indicator of it being shit. The main focus of a GAME should never be the story.

Define: "pretentious".

Hello Tarkposter.

How was it preachy?

It's meditative. Especially the Redux cut. It reminds me of Andrei Tarkovsky films in that way.

You faggots are why The Godfather 3 exists. Go back to cuck/tv/ if you want to drool in public.

Eh. It's a perfect hour long movie. Pity it didn't know when to quit because when it tries to shift gears it becomes a weaker Platoon. But damn, nothing in Platoon tops that first hour…

I'll never understand how anyone can think Kubrick's best is anything but Clockwork Orange or The Shining.

Also fuck Eyes Wide Shut and 2001 is a goddamn hour too long. Lolita is a cute movie even if it hated the book. And snyone who likes Barry Lyndon is a pretentious person who doesn't know what "fun" is. Which is weird since Kubricfags have all seen Dr. Strangelove.

Aaaaand into the trash it goes.

It's not even a BAD idea, honestly. A VR tactical RPG set on a boat during Viet Nam - licensed or not - has potential to be pretty goddamn interesting. But the fact that one of the most legendary movies ever made is begginf for sheckles out of the gate means any hope I might have mustered is already gone.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I guess the Clone Wars cartoon was alright though.

You don't know true horror until charlie comes out of the trees and kills you friends.

I will shit on it rightfully so, Coppola is a postmodern hack.

Well, there were also tigers and the Colonel's men that might be thrown in as enemies.

Define postmodern.

wat, he is/was a lot of things except postmodern

Postmodern: subsequent to or coming later than that which is modern.

holy shit user you fucked this up so much fuck you. autism status: triggered.

ftfy, you giant faggot

Oh, so your using buzzwords instead of explaining why Coppola ascribes to postmoderism philosophically or artistically.

You asked for the definition of post-modern, and he gave it to you, you autistic fuck

It's okay buddy, the next Transformers is coming out soon, you can watch that instead.

Oh, so you think like a Jew. You looked at my post and instead of looking behind my post to the abstract layer of information asking what you meant by postmodernism, you only saw the surface layer of the words meanings themselves. You seem to me that you have blow visual intelligence user.

That man is a King.

I could vaguely see this working as a game if they use it as a setting for other characters and gameplay, not just the MC. Vaguely. I'm not funding it to find out becuase it's pretty much guaranteed to suck as a game.

Oh, the Drakengard 3 school of thought. Self-aware shit is still shit.

Has there ever been a successful movie-to-game adaptation? A good fps set in vietnam could be interesting, and one that deals with the inhumanity of war and the psychosis of the Vietnam War in particular could make it even better. But a game that has to rely on previously established fiction, told in a totally different medium, and (going off the kikestarter page) is focused on "story" rather than actual game mechanics, is doomed from the outset.
If someone had an original idea for an fps, which took inspiration from Apocalypse Now/FMJ etc that's one thing, but having to rely on people who enjoyed the movie and also want to get the game is retarded.
No matter what, it will never live up to the movie and if it can't deliver on that, there's no chance of it being able to deliver on solid gameplay.

Good one.

Just reading the word explains jack shit. Postmodernism is all about meta commentary of normally accepted stuff. So yeah, it does come after modernism, but because it wants to be its insightful and witty little shit of a brother.

What Holla Forums is experiencing is the imageboard force of nature that consensus can change from one day to the other, simply because something became consensus.

And possibly some shilling.

Thread derailed though, but I'd play it. Might even buy it.

If they don't just try to retell the story but inste

Holla Forums is pretty obviously being to the ground by rugga-tier shitposters probably sitting in Discord/IRC somewhere

Nha, I'm just too busy laughing at the idiots who populate Holla Forums and obsess about overlong toy commercials.

Holla Forums is god fucking awful.

Sounds kind of interesting but I'm really not into the merging of games and film. They're doing too many horrible things on their own already.

Yeah, I don't know how that really fits. Trailer mentions different choices changing the player character. Uh, definitely wait and see on those sort of "your choices matter" promises.

tbh the way I would do an Apocalypse Now game is an fps set in the AN universe but following a different route, only crossing paths with the movie protag in a few instances.

hey, if they could spook Marky Mark, they can probably spook you

the prequels get better with bootleg cantonese dialogue & subtitles
english dub of starwars was shit

"postmodern"
an adjective/descriptor used to denote something as deriving from the Postmodern movement (which began after the end of Great War 2: Electric Boogaloo)

Also, there better be a mod for interactive VR playboy bunny helicopter scene

Im going to have to be that guy I suppose

Just fucking no. The reason only jedi could use that shit was because that weapon was so hard to use 99% of the time you would end up cutting your own shit off instead of theirs. Boba Fett could actually wield it somewhat decent because he was that god damn good but still couldnt wield it to the extent of a fully trained jedi.

Star Wars is fucking dead.

Reminder that the US Armed Forces were so ill prepared and arrogant that at the start of the US intervention in the war the M14 was still standart issue while the gook got AKMs by the dozens.

Reminder the commies were down for the count when the US pulled out and Vietnam was lost because the newly elected liberal congress voted to stop supplying the South with equipment

All that matters, and funnily enough they're a better country than both Koreas, seeing for themselves that commieshit was not the way.

I enjoyed the first game, I still need to get around to playing banner saga 2 though.

The point is the military losing the Vietnam war is just a meme. Blame the libtards

South Vietnam lost because they were a bunch of incompetent fucktards. They were busy drinking booze and promoting their nephews to high ranks while their special forces were sent out to murder buddhists while Diem was in charge.

When Saigon was getting buttfucked our jets that we handed them never left the fucking ground.

Or maybe America shouldn't have meddled at all and so 3 million lives would have been spared? Makes u think…

Military didn't lose the war
But the USA sure did

Hitlerdubs of truth, only Holla Forums and Holla Forums are bigger shitholes.

>Disliking free free software
Call me commie Gates cocksucker, I dare you.

Fuck off nigger, Holla Forums is a bunch of 14 year old proto-neckbeards who installed Loonix yesterday and shitpost about the same stale memes

Gas yourself kike

Epin meme just epin 10/10

Nigga, they are still commieshit.

No one remembers this gem that was pic related?

Look here son, I would play the shit out of a nic cage simulator

Didn't Nixon end the war. Also commies love just throwing people into the grinder. The VCs just kept coming.

If the states had just let Jim "Close the book on the gook" Webb have the supplies he needed the war would have ended a lot sooner.