Spooky Vidya Mysteries and Easter Eggs

Post mysteries and easter eggs/glitches from games and spooky theories. Try to keep it plausible, no shitty creepypasta.
Also what are some good games that seem innocent but are actually creepy? Or unintentionally creepy games.

Kotamu.com (please use archive.is)m/for-two-years-the-kanye-west-rpg-has-been-hiding-a-dis-1704673459

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/0bcHF
i.imgur.com/DA04Q.png
i.imgur.com/qusys.png
twitter.com/AnonBabble

fuck up the url
archive.is/0bcHF

Look up Action Half-Life map by Hondo, he had tendency of hiding entire levels underneath run of the mill multiplayer maps.

Fucking Kotaku.

bump, this thread seems interesting.

It does, but good luck getting much out of it short of 'deepest lore' and badly written creepy pasta.

I don't get why the four giants are in the OP.

Probably the mystery surrounding the tribe that shunned the goddess and caused Termina to be that. At this point I honestly can't remember if that's written in the game or just the fan theory.

What's the most recent game that had this kind of content in it?
I understand that devs don't even want to bother anymore since people will datamine it day 1 and ruin it

Ah that's bullshit user. FNAF, Undertale, etc, regardless of what you think of them have had active fan-theory communities. It's not the presence of information that creates the intrigue, its the absence of it.

There's an image of one of the devs in half life blue shift. The picture has nothing creepy in itself, but one of its locations is in embed related, and it being dark and hard to see somehow makes it a bit eerie.

That's actually pretty cool, thanks user. I'll look up more of this guy's shit.

I've actually been playing Blue Shift and just went past that area last night.

Apart from what the other user said, GTA V is the most obvious one with the Mount Chiliad stuff. Vid related is just one part of it, and kind of old at this point but it's still neat. I'm not sure about the state of the mystery as a whole, but it'll be interesting to see how it pays off.

It's the only article about it, so that's what I had to post.

forgot the embed

Yeah, I get it, try reading the thread

Yeah, I did read the thread.
Why would you link us to Kotaku?

I remembered the story about it, found the article, and it happened to be kotaku.

You should feel bad, user.

whatever you say

Yeah that's kind of the point
That absent information nowadays tends to include cool/mysterious secrets

Patricia Hernandez or otherwise, opp's article was a fun read.

Undertale had a ton of internal mysteries that you only find through datamining and playing around with variables and syntax errors in the code itself.
It all fell flat in the end (much like everything else the game had to offer) but it was fun for the few weeks people were trying to discover everything that was hidden away.

go away

Is there a particular reason?

I hate that we can't have genuine mysteries in games anymore thanks to data mining

Everything basically lead to a dead end.
What you see in those gifs and the webms is basically what you get; None of the things that were found led anywhere. The only thing that came out of it was the discovery of "Gaster is a character in the game who had his existence entirely erased from the universe, but has fragments of himself trapped within the game's code". The game never went anywhere with it and none of the discoveries made were any grander than the gifs you see in the post.

In Fallout New Vegas you can go to any grave at night and you'll hear whispering
It's kind of low, so you'll need a headset to hear it proper
This one is kinda well knows, but whatever

known* fuck

In Rayman M on one race course there's a waterfall off the path, walk through it and there's a recreation of the local from the first games opening.
I'd post it but no one seemed to have recorded it since apparently only I played this game and I don't feel like downloading a .iso to show it off

Anyone got some spooky screencap stories? I lost my folder.

fucking reddit goyim

That's the only one I have. I wasn't the one who made the screencap.

Try again, you low energy maggot.

I don't care if it's the only article you found, you should leave.

>>>/reddit/

Did you really link a kotaku article?

Better luck next time, OP.

Does this count? It's from The Super Mario Movie.

Holy shit OP, kys. This was a neat concept back in the mid 2000s but with datamining and tools that allow us to see exactly how vidya works under the hood so "spooky" shit has lost a lot of luster.

Take a look at the catalog. About how many of those would you consider to be quality threads? Probably 1/10 or less, right? Instead of going there and shitting up those threads, you chose to throw a sperg fit and ruin an interesting thread because someone linked a related article from a source you personally dislike.

Instead of trying so hard to fit in, and ruining threads in the process, why not just shift+click threads in the catalog that you don't like?

WWWTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Clearly evidence that cancer is on OP's side.

Not really vidya, but an interesting read nonetheless. I don't know if there could be a "rational" explanation for the second crew dying, apart from embellishing what happened.

Do you think they put it in there just to fuck with people?

I think so, but it's not unsurprising that movies set in NY before 2001 use the Twin Towers. And if there's enough of them, one of them will have to have them be destroyed.

go back to your containment thread

follow your own advice

DEEPEST LORE

this

Fuck off to whatever the fuck you came from.

It's you that should go back to your containtmaint site.

(Nice numbers)
(Excellent digits)

Don't worry fellow gamers, Kotaku is a Univision subsidiary now, so it's definitely not "pozzed" anymore (as we say, amirite?) so you don't need to worry about directly linking to it ^_^. ::::::^^^^^^^)))))))))

So I'll bite, is this some video game creepypasta?

I come baring a gift

Bigger image without watermark?

**The suitcase holds the separated body parts of a girl. It's about as horrific as that sounds.
You can see it without playing AHL_5am by using a BSP viewer.

As of writing i've only just found it, after messing around with .wad editors etc.

What's creepier is that if you use a .bsp viewer, the only textures that load are of the mutilated girl.

this puts an end to my investigation of this map, there are no more mysteries to solve. Well, other than the mystery behind why hondo used those textures in his secret, and why they seem to be the actual "reward" to completing most of the map. Was it to be creepy? Or just for the hell of it?

Either way, i'm finally done. I've spent a collected total of 4 hours on finding this last thing and now i'm going to go to sleep.

Can't imagine i'll have very pleasant dreams.**

Holy fuck forget JVK in Morrowind. This shit is a real world equivalent of that. I'd post a good reaction image for this if I weren't already posting an embed vid

Wow fuck I thought spoilers wouldn't work like that, and guess what, they didn't.

I've been up too late.

Also, there's this, too. Polite sage because I've already bumped within the past few minutes. Shit's still creepy as hell though.

I still wish there was an alternate ending for this. It's great until it becomes an anime at the end.

Jeez, that is weird. Is there a pic of that?

Also, while it's creepy as fuck, seems like Hondo has the best sort of autism when it comes to secrets in vidya.

God damn I know that feel. My memory of the story is foggy but it had me gripped so hard; the idea of a creepy surreal NES cartridge that just slowly got more atmospherically fucked as you played it is amazing, and I hope to god that someday people start making romhacks of NES games that turns them into similar experiences. Booting up Kirby's Adventure and finding copy abilities and bosses that weren't in the game before; a dream come true for any avid fan of the game, before some really really freaky shit slowly starts to happen bit by bit at a time. Might be Whispy Woods having eyes instead of hollow holes and dropping bombs instead of apples, and then leading to the next world having slightly glitched music and so forth, or even waddle dees missing their faces at some point in the beginning.

It'd be great to have such an experience blind, especially if people packed them randomly into rompacks in place of the actual games or put them into legit looking counterfeit cartridges and sold them or left them around in public.

And you said it was the end but it wasn't even that. It turns into a batshit anime like almost two thirds into the story or so, from what I remember. It's still a classic, if even only for how memorable it was in both good ways and bad. Had some damn sharp pixel art and some legit chilling and creepy edits to the game, regardless.

Also.
Didn't look it up. Sounds bizarre nonetheless. If it's intended to be a reward, then how come it's used almost as a punishment or a scare for those who try to dig into the BSP to datamine it? Was he trying to give a different feel with the same image for the different kind of player? I can imagine that seeing it in game after seeing it in the BSP would be startling, and I can think that seeing it in the BSP after being familiar with it in game would also be scary for the fact that the only thing that you see is probably the most fucked texture in the whole game. It's fascinating.

Fuck yeah. Been watching a couple of the videos on his maps. I adore his style and even though I'm a pussy when it comes to this shit, and I have been since I was a small child, it's still damn fascinating. If I ever have the spare time and the drive to do such a thing, I'd love to put some really fleshed out and bizarre easter eggs in my own game(s) once I get my coding shit going.

The intention is awesome, but the executon isn't very great
The environments are intentionally lazy and disruptive both to obfusicate the otherwise retard easy solutions and to annoy the player, the "puzzles" are just obtuse switch pressing and mazeshit, and your reward for finishing the whole thing unless you consider the edgelord starter kit to be a reward is nothing more than the satisfaction of a job well done, which is somehow even worse than the shit that's usually hidden at the end of these sorts of things
It's like it was designed solely to fuck with the people who like this sort of shit

I could see where it would make you want to add it into your own games, though I imagine that would require quite a bit of dedication to do it well. Still, the videos posted get the creative juices flowing.

Yeah, I'd say I'm more infatuated by the bizarre nature of those maps more than anything. I mean, if it weren't for the videos and multiple people confirming it nobody would believe it was real. It would come off as a creepypasta, but the reality is somebody with some autistic dedication made custom maps for an obscure half-life multiplayer mod, then hid entire levels in them based around puzzles,trial and error, and creepy imagery.

but I definitely agree the execution is pretty bad.

I dont understand why so many people claim datamining killed the creepyness of some earie vidya mysteries.

Take Mario 3D Land's ghost for example. Analyzing the game's data only managed to gather it is an unique sprite in the game that shows nowhere else. Kinda similar to the Mario Galaxy "shadow folk". Granted, the shadow folk has gone into the meme deep lore territory never to go back, but it used to be kind of creepy. The ghost however, still makes me uneasy.

Another example I can think off for the OP would be New Leaf's alien broadcast on Sunday nights. I forgot the exact time, but I think it is at 3:33 am when it is broadcasted.

A tribe defying the gods is indeed mentioned in the game. That tribe created Majora's Mask. And that's about as far as in-game canon goes. If I recall correctly the giants aren't mentioned to be of that tribe, nor any other 'lore' than befriending an imp and coming out for the carnival of time.

They actually both look incredibly damn similar when you put them side by side. I wonder if they're just some kind of creepy inside joke that the devs added in to fuck with players.

Regardless, I dig shit like that.

I actually think the execution is fine. Then again I'm just fascinated by weird and creepy secrets in games in general, so I might be biased. The thought of finding a really bizarre almost ARG-ish secret in a level is kind of awesome, and I dig the clunky, retro, and bizarre style of it.

What if the Hell Valley Trees is just a weird tribute to Beksinki's art?

Datamining doesn't completely ruin everything
Just anything substantial
Refer to the unsatisfying undertale stuff above; if all those hints actually lead to something, dataminers would have ruined that too
Nothing ruins a good spook or mystery like knowing every single detail about it, so the only way to keep making games with that kind of magic is to just not have any details whatsoever under the surface, and even then the magic is pretty much gone anyway once everyone knows there's nothing more to it than just one texture file or a couple hidden sentences

On the plus side, Solomon and Red have been included in the roster of Colossal kaiju Kombat's backlog (which is free of the likes of duncan)

What's important to know is that matt Frank, the artist of these images, is a comic creator and has been making impressive books for Godzilla and currently, has been making a series called Project Nemesis, which is seeming to serve as an origin story plus prequel to a new monster game.

I know your pain user, I loved this game too. But in the civilized world its called Rayman Arena so that might have hurt your search a bit. You see it about 1:30 in

Teensie Kings still have the best theme in that game

I read that Project Nemesis comic.It was pretty weird for a kaiju series. Nemesis destroys and kills shit due to dying an unjustified death or something and was originally some Japanese girl I think.

sorry mang, you need to fuck off to cuckchan

I think i've see that pic before, going upon the description. If people can show dead space and mortal combat deaths with no issue it shouldn't be an issue. Its really not that bad.

yeah

Nintendo has always been good at dropping small, creepy easter eggs into their games. And they're probably made more unsettling given the fact that most of their games are targeted towards kids, but the devs or someone still finds the time to put in creepy shit to fuck with people.
This is the first I've heard of the alien broadcast in New Leaf, but that's pretty neat if there's creepy shit in it. I might download it again and have a look.

The ghost face from Super Mario 3D land sort of resembles the masks that ReDead wear. Which I guess isn't hard to do, since the mask is just an oval with holes for eyes and a mouth, but it still makes the ghost face a lot creepier in my opinion.

Ha ha

In Perfect Dark, there's some enemies who are supposed to die as soon as the level starts. Setting enemy health too high stops this, so you end up with completely inanimate guards just standing around in weird places.
Then of course there's the hidden room in one of the levels just full of inanimate people like that. They can't die, but they twitch and bleed when shot. The whole area is pitch black also, adding to the spookiness. It's not even that hard to find, you just backtrack after getting a key.

holy shit

I put in a password in a game and EVERY TIME it does the same thing?! WHAT THE FUCK THIS IS SPOOKY!

Kotaku is the worst.

It's fake, retard.

bump, I need more spook in my life

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the hand.

It's been 4 days since you posted this shit, OP. Did you make amends and kill yourself?

This one.

Pretty sure Toby was gonna do something with it, but got butthurt that people were datamining the game and decided not to do anything to expand on it. A shame, because something interesting could have come out of it if he weren't a faggot.

i.imgur.com/DA04Q.png
i.imgur.com/qusys.png

I'm pretty sure that's all Toby wanted to do with it. The entire thing was a red herring to get people to datamine.

anyone have the picture of the mutilated girl that was in the suitcase?

Hondo was a mapmaker, he didn't make Action Half-Life.
You're kinda limited what you can do as a mapmaker. You can insert new textures and models, but new weapons are impossible. I'd assume any living bot or AI would also be impossible.
Same with puzzles, there's only a limited amount of things the mapmaker can 'track' and activate. Switches, teleports, and shooting things is really all you can do.

I wonder what happened to Hondo? Did he give up video games all together? Or is he making video games for some developer and has been putting weird shit in them with no one ever knowing?

Would be nice if DLC was used for precisely this purpose.