The Desire To Start A New Game

What makes you want to start a new game? Do you do any research or read reviews? Do your friends get you started?

If it looks interesting I'll play it

I start one and stop shortly after. I can't enjoy video games anymore.

i look at a game and then say "hey that's pretty good" and keep playing

I think of what kinda game I wanna play, then I find one to match the thought. Pretty easy.

Then get the fuck out.

the soundtrack. every time.

I hate video games.

wtf i hate video games now

Lately?
Mobile ports. I've grown really tired of having to sit down at my pc and have to play something that a buttload of text.

I'd much rather get comfy in bed with a bag of cereals and play there.

I tend to do a bit of research as to the gameplay and premise and if it sounds neat I'll add it to the backlog. More-so if it's a game that at least some amount of anons seems to enjoy (though even then it's wise to take stuff with a grain of salt).

My friend plays the same sort of games over and over (he doesn't have bad taste, just that he likes to replay stuff and get the most enjoyment out of it rather than pick up new stuff). If anything, I'm the one to introduce him to new series.

That does help too (same with vidya opening FMVs), but in general I might listen to a song or two before I actually play the game. It's nice having the bulk of a soundtrack remain a surprise, especially if it's a really good one. I still remember the first time hearing "Mechanical Rhythm" in Xenoblade Wii, thinking "what the fuck?" at the change in combat theme, but quickly coming to love the song.

You're right. My methods fail me.

If it's in a series I know I already like, or anyone working on the game also worked on something I already liked, or if it's in a genre I like that's enough to give it a shot. Really even just vaguely hearing a game mentioned positively is enough incentive to at least pirate it and try it out, I prefer not to exhaust myself on research and find out too much about the game ahead of time because I like being surprised

Obviously this results in spending a lot of time sifting through games I probably would have known I had no interest in if I'd done a little research but the small percentage of the time I get pleasantly surprised is worth it

It's especially nice if a particular series has a sort of trend or pattern to how they handle the music, which leaves you in anticipation of hearing new songs. Looking at, say, the Shadow Hearts series, each of the PS2 games is split into two regions, and thus each region has its own set of themes for towns, combat, bosses, etc. While the initial set of songs are pretty good (Covenant's "Vicious 1915" for instance), you start to hype yourself for what the music in the future areas is going to be like ("Deep in Coma", also from Covenant, certainly met the hype).

Mobile ports of current shit or classic games? If the latter, why not just get a PSP and dump some CFW and emulators on there? Then you're not furthering he push of mobile cancer.

Hell, looking at Square, their phone ports of classic games are rather pricy, and have a tendency to change the spriting and at times translations from what they originally were.

Nostalgia. If not, boredom.

I mostly play ones that have a sort of pedigree behind them. I invest time into a platform and find cool games, look up videos to get an idea of what they're like, find developers I like and look into their history/catalog, follow specific people who may have left studios I enjoyed and see how they carried on their work from game to game, etc. You discover a lot of great games this way. I usually stick to one or two games 'til completion, and maybe have a throw-away multiplayer game I can pick up and play once in a while when I don't have much time to play something I'm going through.

I've been playing a PC classic lately to discover I really don't like it any more. I don't know what I liked about it when I first played it like 8 years ago, but Deus Ex is an absolutely terrible game. Irredeemably so, it's a wonder it gets any praise, but I think this may be mostly from people with a large amount of pretense about their platform and their perception of the history of games and design. It has a lot of neat ideas but universally the execution is pretty much terrible. I don't replay games very much any more, but it's safe to say I don't think I'll ever be returning to this one in my life. Once I get this one over - I just got to Area 51. I'll be going back to games I'll absolutely enjoy and discover new ones by developers I've grown fond of. Even if the games aren't great all the time, I'm sure I can find redeeming qualities and ideas in them.

stop being a PC gamer, it helped me.

Ha yeah clearly

yes, you abandon mediocrity and don't let it hold you back.

I don't know man, I can't even tell if it's a shitpost or not. Why try to start platform wars over PC of all things? More than that, what kind of grown man uses the word 'til?

Textbook casual.

I get an itch for a certain thing every so often
sometimes i want a good story
sometimes i want shitload of animation cancels
other times I want autistic menu managament
it just depends on where im at in life

I liked Dishonored.
I know it was butchered, recycled areas, simplified in mechanics, straight forward story, and full of hand holding crap because of shit testers.
Although I really enjoy relaxing, and just going through it.
I can't muster any interest in Dishonored 2.
It's some combination of needing to add voice acting to the player character, new engine, checkpoint every 2 feet, etc.
As soon as I'm in the game I feel like I'd rather just turn it off and go do anything else.

It's taken me an hour and a half to muster through the first level alone, and that makes me want to never launch it again anyway.
It's just not fun, or entertaining in any aspect for me.

Generally I'll either hear about it here on Holla Forums, or I'll browse the most popular game torrents on the pirate bay and look into any titles that catch my eye. I've found a few excellent but unknown games like that.

Sell me on it. I liked Arkane's other games but I tried a few times and couldn't stomach more than an hour of Dishonored

Have you played P3F, NieR, and Shadow of the Colossus?

why would you interpret it as platform wars? There really isn't much to experience on the platform. Unless you can't afford consoles, having it as your sole source of gaming isn't really a good idea.

that's nice

dishonored is like deus ex where you have a bunch of ways to approach a situation, but they story and actual stealth is simple. it is fun to speedrun once you know the layout.

Generally if it's from a genre I generally enjoy, that's the first step.

After that, watching gameplay. You can sort of tell how much you will like something pretty fast.

After that I try to see general consensus. If I don't have an immediate draw to play something, I try to see what other people say. If a game is getting constantly mentioned long after it came out, I tend to weigh that pretty heavily in its favor. If a game is considered very highly by many people, I also weigh that positively in it's favor for trying it.

I have found Holla Forums to be pretty bad about recommending games though. They tend to recommend garbage and tell people to avoid pretty good games. Way too much waifu faggotry and contrarianism, respectively.

I'm curious what games you've seen Holla Forums recommend that are garbage and games they say are garbage that are actually good? Just a couple examples

undertale

It's closer to deus ex human revolution without the inventory management, third person camera/cover.
I like that the levels seem really well laid out, with multiple paths for whichever play style.
It's fairly shallow since it doesn't have all the depth of deus ex, or thief, but what it lacks there it makes up for in progression of area.
Areas are recycled because depending on how you many people you kill, there will be less NPCs, more infected, more rats and so on.
I think the story is pretty straight forward, but fairly good in the terms of how people act during revolutions, shifting of political, and military power.

It's like a lighter version of deus ex/thief, so I could only recommend it if you like those games, or really have a hard on for Viktor Antonov.

lol

I tried very hard to like New Vegas and just personally couldn't get into it, I'd say that game is almost universally liked here

Stay on Holla Forums. Don't bring your neo-Holla Forums shit here.

Well you're not wrong, Mankind Divided even added an augmentation almost identical to Blink

The Thief comparison is what got me interested even outside of just liking Arkane in the first place, but I'm surprised at the multiple comparisons to DX in this thread. Granted I didn't see more than the first two levels but DX has a pretty specific kind of level design and approach to problem-solving

i just look at new games and watch gameplay vids on youtube. if i see something that appeals to me i watch reviews or in depth videos about it.
if i can't find that i'll ask people on Holla Forums to argue with eachother about if its shit and pick a side.

I really like New Vegas, but a lot of people just see it as more Bethesda trash. It seems like the opinion on Holla Forums is pretty split on it. Did you like Fallout 3 or did you even play it?

Do you mean Holla Forums likes it or hates it? Because up until relatively recently there was an Undertale general where a lot of anons liked it

Nah I didn't even play it

i honestly thought 3 was more enjoyable than NV. though im not a huge fan of either. both of these games would jump up my list massively if the graphics were better and they werent both completely fucking broken to play.

GET OFF MY Holla Forums REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Are there any games you like that Holla Forums generally shits on?

I'll usually play a new game if it has a cute girl

"Like" is a strong word but I liked The Last of Us more than most of Holla Forums, I thought it had way more redeeming qualities than Uncharted

atelier sophie was great. even the dub was great.
how can it possibly not be good?

tlou was actually awesome if you played the correct difficulty. im assuming most people that hate it either played the TPS with spider sense or the strangle simulator.

People recommend Red Orchestra here and that game is boring as hell and frustrating.

Seriously though, in the last few years I've become seriously jaded and I only once in a while pick up a new game in a series I used to enjoy in hopes that I get some nostalgia from it. I look at these brand new games and I just see GENERIC SPACE MARINE SIM 2017 and shit. It's like no one deviates from these cliche genres, or if they do, it's Nintendoshit. I want to break free.

Come on user it's one of the lowest tiers of affection.
That's true, I didn't really like it but I agree that it's better than Uncharted.

It's quite a bit slower than your typical shooter, yes but I wouldn't say it's boring. But I do get how not everyone would enjoy it

nothing
I wish I had a friend who would just "guide" me into games, or who I can watch play games and to see whether I'd like to play it too. Being alone and having to do research and watch cancerous let's plays to see what a game is like is shitty, so I just never do it and never get the desire to start a game either. When I do it's just by pure randomness, chance & coincidence. Gameplay footage of the best parts of a game is usually very enticing but again; I can't usually be arsed to even search for that game footage online

The soundtrack is what made me play Persona 3 and introduced me to the rest of Atlus' work.