Falcom Thread

NIHON FALCOM (Ys, Trails, Gurumin, Xanadu, Brandish, etc) thread

Don't forget to support their games and spoiler the spoilers!

-Trails of Cold Steel 3 is on track for a Japan release in Fall 2017, confirmed PS4 exclusive.
-Trails in the Sky the 3rd translation is complete with editing underway. Spring 2017 Western release still hopeful.
-The PS4 version of Ys VIII also planned for release by May 25, 2017 with Falcom President Toshihiro Kondo hoping for a Western release within the same year.
-Ys Origin coming to NA February 21, 2017 for PS4 and Vita
-Tokyo Xanadu coming to the west in 2017 from Aksys Games. The Vita version will be vanilla while the PS4/PC version will be ex+
- XSEED preparing 7 games for PC steamdb.info/sub/13578/apps/
- Most games published by XSEED now to be developed with a PC release in mind gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-09-09-no-fan-left-behind (end of the 9th paragraph)

pastebin.com/G2mswYCt

Don't forget to support their games!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/r4woiSIwLEE?t=2329
youtube.com/watch?v=TgZmoUAu0KQ
gematsu.com/2017/01/ys-viii-ps4-japanese-first-print-copies-include-ys-viii-trails-cold-steel-iii-art-books
steamcommunity.com/id/joyoland/myworkshopfiles/?section=greenlight
mega.nz/#F!HssCDDYZ!QLkmrL0kMhndI3i7fYzIQA
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=834215281
nicoblog.org/pc-games/ys-memories-celceta-chn/
mega.nz/#!Hp5ljTLD!7HxKBZSJU4LE9w5aVorrEK1Au7x1KARn3-6wHjM5k2U
heroesoflegend.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=252
twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/825228660806348800
twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/826134886310309888
twitter.com/Gu4n/status/825968375411179520
steamdb.info/sub/13578/apps/
twitter.com/omgfloofy/status/829800834200457216
bato.to/comic/_/comics/sora-no-kiseki-gaiden-löwe-monogatari-r20694
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

God damn weeaboos.

Gameplay of Ys VIII on PS4 from Taipei's Game Show

youtu.be/r4woiSIwLEE?t=2329

There's also Tokyo Xanadu (before) and Trails of Cold Steel 3 (after) but they don't show anything new.

More Ys VIII for PS4. Same area(s). Not much new stuff.

youtube.com/watch?v=TgZmoUAu0KQ

Dates for both versions of Tokyo Xanadu went up on Amazon. They're shooting for a June 30th release for Vita and November 24th release for PS4, I assume PC is also shooting for that date but there isn't a Steam page up for it yet.

Here are some Screenshots I took from Xanadu. Like I said, the Cold Steel aesthetic is clearly applied here. Not saying it's bad, just saying it's there. Is Ys 8 like that too?

Here are some of characters as well.

Ys 8 looks a bit different.

I'll add those in the next thread.

Do you have any menu shots?

Not him, but I can grab some for you if you want.

Please do. I want to see how they compare to TX and CS

Have fun anons.

A man can dream

I hope we get to see more of her cute clinginess in 3

Is it weird for me to think that there's a chance that Laura will eventually become an Awakener?
Specifically to Lance Maiden Sandlot's knight?

I think that's a really high possibility

That depends on how being an Awakener is determined. I want to see if Awakeners are restricted to certain Knights or if they can link with others, or if it just depends on the first one they come across. I really wonder what happened to Ordine when Crow died. Did Vita take it? Did OSBOURNE? Can Awakener status pass on to another immediately after death?
A lot of questions I hope CS3 answers.

It seems to me to be solely determined on who completes the trials. It also appears that they need a witch to help them as was the case with Emma and Rean, Vita and Crow, and I assume Vita and Cedric unless I'm just wrong on that whole thing. I wonder if co-contractors can even have a secondary contract or if they're allowed to break their first contract. Which in all of Class VII's case they were co-contractors. Could Emma help in breaking the contracts that were formed? Would Vita have needed to help in breaking the contract between Crow and Ordine so Ordine could be used again or is Crow really still alive, which would imo invalidate the ending to CS2 severely.
CS3 has quite the number of answers to give out.

As far as Testarossa goes, I personally wouldn't call Cedric an Awakener, even if he was used as the core. His blood was the key to the seal that awakened it; Cayenne MIGHT have been able to command it due to his own blood, though we never really get to know. Vita pretty much only showed the way and gave instructions for the setup, but there never really seemed to be a contract, unlike with Rean/Valimar and Crow/Ordine.

Yeah, Cedric was never in control. He never had to undergo trials either, his blood was just the key to unlock the thing and get it running. Plus injuries to the Knight injure the Awakener, if that were true for Cedric, he'd be dead.

I don't think they need a witch, it's just that they wouldn't know about them without the witch's guidance. There was no point where Emma triggered anything to move the trial along. Arguably Celine did, but in theory that would've happened eventually anyway.

Co-contractors have been shown to be able to link to Valimar through combat links, even without being at the Loa Erebonius fight as Sara proves. It hasn't been tried, but I wonder if it's possible for a co-contractor to call on and pilot the Divine Knight themselves.

Given that Crow and Rean both had Time and element orbments, if that pattern holds, the only candidate is Fie.

I thought time orbments just meant you had an angsty backstory.

Is that Mishie?

I hope that user's theory from the last thread about St. Sandlot being Laura's mother turns out to be true. It would honestly just make her that much hotter.

Oh, I don't doubt Fie's candidacy, though if anything, she'd be the next Awakener of Ordine, with Laura taking the role of the next Lance Maiden. Can you say overpowered team?

The thing is, they match their witches. Crow has Time + Water, Vita has Mirage + Water. Rean has Time + Fire, Emma has Mirage + Fire.

*Mishy, and yes.

>I hope that user's theory from the last thread about St. Sandlot being Laura's mother turns out to be true.

I wouldn't call it theory, just a feeling stemming from a few small things, in particular how neither Laura nor Victor have mentioned Laura's mother at all, where the other Class VII members do have some exposition on their condition. Considering how they like to handle spoilers, particularly in Emma's case, it wouldn't surprise me if the lack of mentioning it is to hide it. We're at least 90% sure they're related to Sandlot in some way because of the S. initial. Plus, it makes Arianrhod saving them from Nosferatu an act of motherly love, which warms my crusty heart. It is also hot, yes.

Huh, didn't even really think about that. Interesting.

>Laura taking the role of the next Lance Maiden.
But Laura uses Zweihanders.

I may actually have to take back some of what I said here, as when I said it, I was only part-way through the epilogue. And now I've finished it, and the game, for the first time.

Now, what has been said of Cedric doesn't change, though Testarossa does seem to apparently have been set for a proper Awakening Trial; but due to the circumstances of what happened in the Infernal Castle, the trial was botched, and pretty much invaded the spirit leylines of the old schoolhouse, creating the Epilogue Labyrinth Reverie. I guess Vermillion Apocalypse was some sort of berserk protocol that doesn't require an Awakener, but Arnor blood instead?

I guess as far as Awakeners go, my only questions in this case would be if it weren't a botched trial, would Rean & Co. have been allowed to enter at all? And if Testarossa weren't destroyed, would someone in Class VII have been recognized as the next Awakener?

Testarossa was possessed by the blood of the dragon the party fights as an undead in CS1. Whatever happened to it is anomalous and seemingly outside the scope of the trials. It's covered in the Black Histories.

It runs on dragon blood and Arnor DNA.

What makes someone join Ouroboros? I was in another forum discussing a Trails and one person commented on how the Enforcers just seemed like common(though powerful) mercs with some traumas, but little clear reason to serve the society. It made me think, members of it stress how being part of the society is voluntary, and how you don't even really have to do much and can even enter conflict with your fellow members. Which begs the question, why join? I can only think of a few answers. Feel free to provide others if you can think of them:

Weissman was likely just using the society to get more knowledge and access to the sept-terrions. Loewe did it so Weissman would fix Joshua. Renne did it because it was better than being what she was before. Vita likely did it to pursue the heretical desires that got her exiled from the clan. I have no idea why Campanella, McBurn, Luciola, Walter, Sharon, and especially Bleublanc are doing. Well Bleublanc may just be in it for the beauty of destruction, but there's still the others.

The Grandmaster is very charismatic. As for McBurn I'm pretty sure it's just so he can find the thrill of battle again. Joining with what society deems as the "big bad" seems like the perfect place to get into good fights with people who find themselves to be righteous. Walter wants to get stronger too. I feel Sharon joined because she felt like she needed a place to belong and then found the Reinfords. Luciola was also just looking for a place to belong as well after she murdered the Troupe Leader.. Campanella is the biggest mystery. I feel as through it's just an orphanage for people who feel as though they don't belong in regular society. The Grandmaster gave them someplace to belong.

Why is Adol so fucking cool for a character that never has any spoken/written dialog?

Ys games on sale, which one should I get if I can only get one?

Which one is that? Or are you telling my not to purchase an Ys game?

1 and 2 bundle obviously gives you two games, but you might not like the bump system. I say Origin is a safe bet.

0 as in Origin(s)

sweet jesus

Ys VIII PS4 comes with an artbook for CSIII, containing "classified information".

Will tonfa girl be revealed to be Lloyd in disguise?

gematsu.com/2017/01/ys-viii-ps4-japanese-first-print-copies-include-ys-viii-trails-cold-steel-iii-art-books

Shoulda clarified that it's first-print copies only.

A Sen no Kiseki III artbook will be released with first run copies of Ys VIII. We were given a tiny sneak peak. Tonfa girl's name is still mostly blocked, however. The cool lore thing, though, is the glimpse of The 8th Dominion, Barkhorn, aka The Heavenly Lion and Gaius' teacher. And possibly the 5th Anguis as well.

Ugh, beat me by minutes. You didn't talk about Barkhorn, though, for some reason.

I left it open especially for you ;)

Also, I saw someone point this out, is that Kea (green hair) behind tonfa girl?

None of the official art of KeA seem to have part of her hair stick up like that. It's not impossible, but my gut is telling me no.

Oh god, I didn't even realize I had done that shit. Go ahead and bully away.

Bullying now

herp derp my elitism in the Fa-sony goyim thread-om thread.

I'm not apologizing (^ε ^)

Hey, that's the wandering priest who mentored Gaius.

I just got done fucking around a few more hours in ED2. God nufalcom is such insufferable sony dick sucking shit. I think SnKII will be the last game I buy from them, it was so much better all the way up to Ao or Nayuta whichever came last…that was their last game from them worth a fuck. In fact Nayuta seems like a game from them but Ao seems like the game while being really good was what ushered them in to generic anime tropes and sony faggotry.

Is anyone here importing to get their hands on it?

You mean art like this?

Oh shit, you know what that means. Gaius is a Grahlsritter. His arm tattoo is a stigma.

Why is she so cute.

Thanks for your suggestions, went with Origin.

At least the monster look nice.

Frankly, I can't understand why not a PC version too. I mean, pretty much every Ys have a PC version already. They should add it to 8 too.

Remember those games on Steam greenlight?
I wonder what will happen.

Gunfas?

Falcom hasn't been doing PC versions. It's disappointing. Really hope that it gets ported when localized.

A lot of people have guessed Gaius might be a squire, actually. If not already than perhaps over the timeskip. It would give him something to do.

I wonder if the chinks will pay someone to localize it or otherwise.

Daily reminder that you will never have a sister like Estelle.

>A lot of people have guessed Gaius might be a squire, actually.
Dammit, I knew I should've finished SC before starting Cold Steel. If I had, that shit would've clicked immediately, especially the tattoo, which I thought was just a Nord thing, and I don't think he talks about it.

You will never lovingly fuck Estelle while Joshua watches

I don't really know why my hype boner for Ys VIII PS4 is full-mast when I already played the shit out of the Vita release, but I'm not complaining.

Because they're doing things to add to the gameplay for the PS4 version. That and with how gorgeous they're making it look in comparison to the Vita is all the reason to go full mast.

More content. Dana gets more playstyles as well.

Hope you enjoy it user.

Delicious tan Dana

Ooh, so that means Dana is like Adol in Ys 7 where she can swap weapon elements. Do you think that will carry over when she joins for real?

Interesting, looks like the new Dana content is even more significant than I already thought.

Interesting how her hair and skin tone in her style changes reflect Raxia and Ricotta.

Yep my penis still works.

Well PC is not really a thing in Japan and Playstation/Vita already has an established fanbase so I'm guessing PC is too much work for Falcom. They're quite small.

Why are all the screenshots in 720p? The PS4 should be able to render this in 1080p.

I'm not sure if the PS4 version will run it at 1080p, but the screenshots I got are all 720p.

According to an interview from last month it should even run at 4k. Wonder why they chose 720p for the screenshots resolution.

Would you compare the gameplay to Tokyo Xanadu, or would you say it's it's own thing?

Tokyo Xanadu is a bit slower Ys. The game does reward you for dodging at the right time though.

Tokyo Xanadu has combat more similar to Nayuta, but less fun and with worse level design. It's still alright.

You need ps4 pro

I thought the PS4 Pro was processing games worse than the regular 4.

If I remember correctly some games run slower when played in a higher resolution on the pro. Overall it's obviously still faster.

Celceta got its Vita translation ported to that. And some people hacked in 60FPS to it.
Was on blackcats torrents a while back. But they haven't been functioning for some time.

No bloom (Thank FUCK)
Rendering doesn't allow anti-aliasing to be forced in common ways, even GeDoSaTo. Driver based SSAA might work since resolutions are not limited.
Some buttons were swapped and weird, but can be mapped just fine.

I'm sure if you asked around on the Falcom discord that folks use, someone could link to the joyoland port + translation patches. I know that the guy doing the programming work for the upcoming Zero/Ao translations did a better patch on his own for Celceta, and he memes on there.

mega.nz/#F!HssCDDYZ!QLkmrL0kMhndI3i7fYzIQA
This should be it.

I'm pretty sure that's using the patch that has some issues. It should be fine if you lock it to 30 fps, but don't quote me on that.

I'll see if I can get a link for the better patch.

>>>/anywherebuthere/

Has XSeed said anything about 3rd and/or their plans for the series after it?

How the fuck? They all go before you do, and will cancel whatever anyways. And they will take at least one of your party down to low or kill outright.

IIRC i put Sara into my party because she was the arts caster with the highest speed and retried until she got first turn and used overdrive and blasted them with Emma. I was on nightmare.

Years ago, Tom said that they would either stop at SC or release the entire series (or at least try). But then Falcom asked them to release Sen I & II and now they are releasing the 3rd so I doubt that still applies.

It would be interesting if someone found when did Tom say that and see if by then they were already working with falcom on releasing Sen.

nothing yet, they're busy trying to sell Story of Seasons right now.

hnnnng

inb4 politically correct bitching

That usually only happens when Angelica autist can't hold it in. And that one time we were talking about Alan Richard.

I always thought Alicia's assertions that he was this turbo misogynist to be a bit hollow when he never ever shows that quality in person.

Alan, the mayor of Ryan, and the big brother of the Capuas were being controlled by Weissmann, weren't they? They were manipulated into doing things they normally wouldn't do to achieve their ends. Even then, Richard wasn't that misogynistic himself, he just worried about how other powers would view Liberl. His right hand is woman for goodness sake. Dunan was more of a misogynist.

They're talking shit about Falcom in the Atlus thread :^)

Two were. One is the Angelica Austist. The other seems to be a similar troll that didn't know about Zero/Ao, probably because they didn't both to look up the Nip games.

Actually the Pro already received patch to fix the usual launch day fuckups.

I finally jumped into this gen a few weeks ago and got a Pro, good thing I always wait a few years. Sucks for early adopters though. Lot of hate for the PS4Pro going around I don't really get it but then I don't understand the gaming community in general. I have a 4k screen but whatever I'm fine with 720p but shallow graphics whores rule this hobby now. Must evolve with the times or get left behind again.

You don't -need- to "evolve". I got a regular Slim because I don't see myself caring about the new features of a Pro and I certainly won't be dropping 400 dollars for something that has minor changes to something I can get for 264 dollars new. If Sony decides to start developing games exclusively to the Pro they're going to have a very rude awakening when they realize people aren't as stacked as they think they are.

It never ends

What's PC about Richard? also fuck that dyke whore.

When the pro came out, the price of slim PS4's dropped where I live so I was able to get one.

do you ever write a sentence without using a buzzword

Why? I can't understand why people feel the need to adopt the tech this early in it's creation. Especially not in vidya where quite a lot of games still have trouble hitting 1080p HD with 60 FPS. trying to up the resolution even more seems like folly.

That's not so bad when catching up becomes simpler and more efficient as time moves on and the technology is perfected. I never get the first version of any device, I wait for them to fix the first print issues before I play catch up.

Dawn of Ys is so damn good.
Celceta pc western release when?

If this wasn't a (1) and obvious shilling by some fucking NeoGaf retard I would have probably left the board right here and now.

That would probably do wonders for your life. I can't imagine how much more I'd be doing in life if I weren't here shitposting. I'll probably leave closer to CS III's Jap release.

Being here is a consequence of your mental state, not the other way around, you being here doesn't necessarily mean you'll do something with your life if you successfully leave.
You'll just use something else to replace this and avoid the shittiness that is real life

I agree that 4k is silly. But not for that reason.
1080p is a fair resolution standard. Power requirements aside, most media of any sort won't even pack discernible detail into that. Game textures and models especially.
At that point, it's more sensible to alleviate discomfort than provide room for detail. Anti-aliasing for soft edges, higher refresh rate to reduce eye strain and stairstep motion, more natural lighting, etc.
There are many more efficient things to throw power at than resolution, with discernible benefits. They cost less and don't throw display-side scaling latency into the mix.

4k+ is strictly for detail oriented work. It's just detrimental performance-wise elsewhere with little benefit.

Sorry for ranting back. I've no excuse.

Chinese version is greenlit for Steam.
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=834215281
English is up for discussion, basically.

And on that note, if anyone wants English voices on it for whatever reason, they've been uploaded to this comments section. Not trying myself because I'd rather not.
nicoblog.org/pc-games/ys-memories-celceta-chn/
mega.nz/#!Hp5ljTLD!7HxKBZSJU4LE9w5aVorrEK1Au7x1KARn3-6wHjM5k2U

Does this have the update that

is talking about?

I honestly don't know. Looking into it seems the only issue with 60fps in general is a crash at the second part of one boss, and any patches to fix that suffer from sped up cutscenes, only intended to be used for bypassing that part.
heroesoflegend.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=252
That mentions an update to just fix things straight out by using a different sync to flat 60. But I don't see it uploaded anywhere at all.

It's one of those things that seems to be locked behind hacker cliques and private team forums sections or whatever.

How does the Snes version of Ys III compare to the PC engine?

It's the worst of the 16-bit console ports, with wonky hit detection, ugly graphics and awful music conversion. Out of these three, my favorite is by far the Mega Drive version – it's the closest to the PC-88 original and plays the best. I mostly like the PCE/TG-16 CD version for its cutscenes and soundtrack, but not so much as a game. I also prefer MD's crisp FM sound over the CD-DA arrangements of the PCE/TG-16 CD version.

I downloaded the PC engine version, I like it so far.
whoever made that image wasn't lying.

From XSeed's twitter. QA screenshots.

Jesus fuck, how does that shit happen? Though it does actually let us get a good look at the shoes, which we can't in game.

That'd be pretty funny actually.

twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/825228660806348800

Wishful thinking I know, but I want to dive back into the Trails world so badly.

I would actually buy a Dana daki.

She's pretty. I like Laxia's design as well.

In fact I think all the girls in Ys VIII look pretty nice.

Thats a pretty massive pair of tits

Are there any documentaries or articles about Falcom JDK?
Jesus how do they maintain such amazing quality for a lot of their tracks?

Falcom Sound Team jdk (pic related) is the name of Falcom's sound production staff. They compose all the music for the games. Sound Team jdk staff has been changing over the years, but currently the known constants are Hayato Sonoda (who has worked there for at least 2 decades now and is the guy with the ponytail) and Takahiro Unisuga. Sound Team jdk musicians either reach glory after leaving the company (e.g. Koshiro, Tenmon) or fade away into obscurity.

jdk Band is a band of freelancers put together by Falcom. They arrange and perform the music for live concerts, arranged albums and sometimes arrange a couple of tracks on the soundtracks (like Opening tracks or the main boss music of Ys Seven), but they are not the composers. In the latter case they might not even be credited as jdk Band, usually it's just a couple of members (e.g. guitarist, violinist and whoever does the arrangement… which is always outsourced to people like Yukihiro Jindo, Noriyuki Kamikura, Toshiharu Okajima… and, most recently, Mitsuo Singa).

Of course, you can check in-game credits to know who's responsible of the music, but ever since Sound Team J.D.K./jdk's creation back in the early 90s, Falcom no longer provides individual composition credits unlike other companies like Atlus or Gust. That being said, a couple of clues have been appearing over the years, such as composer codes (in the case of Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys, VM Japan and Nayuta no Kiseki) or conversations with former Sound Team jdk members via Twitter. Falcom Music Channel is a pretty good resource for that.

Did we confirm if pink-haired tonfas girl is Lloyd yet?

Her last name is Ford. Her first name ends in "Na."

She might be related to Katarina Ford, a receptionist at the Remiferia Bracer guild.

Might be related to Reinford family

Nope. Different kanna.

I've really got to appreciate the coloring for the Ys VIII art, which makes characters look much more vibrant than say, the flat coloring used in the anime PV shot in this picture
Seriously, the colors are so pretty

Huh. Good catch

If she is related to Katarina Ford, though, that means they're going to start bringing Akatsuki canon into the main series.

Anyone feel like spelling out the plot of Akatsuki? I know I'll never play it.

I think the Chinese PC versions of Ys Celceta/Seven, Ao and Zero were removed from steam.

Well shit, looks like they were. Tried looking into a comments page and it was removed.

The dream died before it could truly take flight then? Damn. Or, it could be the beginning of the magnificent happening.

Well, mostly the dream was mostly "easier access to PC ports for fan translation patch."

Well they are unofficial ports. I can understand if Falcom or any of the localizing groups would get upset over that.

Looks like 3rd might make March. The promised update doesn't give a timeline, just an editing percentage.

twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/826134886310309888

Unofficial? I thought someone said they had the rights. Why would they post that shit?

There's more stuff they have to check and fix than just the text. But I can see a Spring release perfectly.

Also, someone else blew up an extremely small screenshot to horrible proportions and saw that it seemed to be Altina running in Crossbell and judging from the way things look, the SSS building is gone, which is nice and dark.

twitter.com/Gu4n/status/825968375411179520

I don't know about the Kiseki ones. But Ys were definitely 3rd party silly stuff, and hacked together at that.

Do we know why the bracer guilds in Erebonia were destroyed? We know that it was Ouroboros who planned it, but why would they do that?

To draw Cassius Bright out of Liberl so the first part of the Gospel Plan could succeed.

Yeah I guess that's the reason, but it seems a little over the top for a group as meticulous as Ouroboros.

I thought that was Osbourne getting rid of them so they wouldn't interfere with his annexations as easily. A well thought out idea, considering the role the Bracer Guild played in ending the Liberl Coup and The intended invasion during Orbal Shutdown, though that was more of a group effort. I know Sara blames him personally for closing them.

What part of that is out of character for Ouroboros? Campanella hired a jaeger corp to blow up guild offices. Ouroboros didn't do it themeslebes.

Osborne simply used the chaos to his own advantage, though I suppose like with the steam tanks he possibly could have been forewarned.

To a Glimmering Tomorrow is my favorite song of the Western Released Trails. It encompasses so many emotions and serves as a perfect final boss song and send off to Class VII. What's your favorite song of the series, regardless of where it was released? Yes, YS vs. Sora no Kiseki counts.

People say the harem protagonist and Bond Point thing started in Zero. Was it to the same extent as Cold Steel where Lloyd would actually start a relationship with another character? Would it change certain scenes based on who you spent the most time with? Was Rixia the "intended" girl of Crossbell the same way Alisa is in Cold Steel? Were there differences?

Do you think we'll never have a main girl protagonist again because of it?

I really wish we'd have a girl again, with a relationship system.

I actually don't know how extensive the systems were. I know there aren't combat links. However, there were multi-character crafts. As for bonding scenes, I'm not sure if there were as many as Cold Steel, but I'm thinking probably not. I know there are scenes where you pick what character you want to do something with and there's a beach episode in Ao where you spend tickets on characters like the festival in CS1. Lloyd is a total harem protagonist, but I don't actually know if the optional stuff gets as serious as some of Rean's in CS2 or not. My knowledge of Zero/Ao is entirely second hand as I don't speak nip.

I don't know if Rixia would be the default. She isn't even a proper party member until Ao. If you want a girl that's always there from the start then that's Ellie. Rixia was probably paired with Lloyd in CS2 because she's pretty much the strongest canonical ally of his, with the exception of Arios who is specifically said to be doing something else.

Also, I'd be fine with the Calvard MC being a girl and I'd even be fine with husbando choosing, though I want there to be a yuri option.

Go home Angelica.

Excelent taste in husbando, user.

Why did they pick Alisa anyway? She's pretty bland for a love interest. Japanese love her though so it may be a rather interesting cultural difference.

It doesn't make sense. It also makes less sense that worst girl was the intended one.

Japs also like saber so if that doesn't answer why they like Alisa then I don't know what will

Twintailed tsundere, I guess.

She's no Estelle, though.

The next Trails game after CS3 having a ton of yuri would be great. mostly to piss off Angelica autist

A couple of new screenshots via scans. Altina got dem tights. She also looks taller to me, which kind of goes against what Millium said.

Rean, you handsome dog, you.

I seriously hope he doesn't go full edgelord

I'm kinda hoping a few seconds after that shot, one of the three comment about how he's trying too hard to look cool and it flusters him.

I also hope he doesn't lose his head-patting ways.

He probably inappropriately pats all his students' heads.

Even blue-hair jusis?

Maybe!

I don't recall if Rean has even given a male headpat before. He's been on the receiving end, but I don't think he's ever dished one out.

I think he might be a little on the negative side, given what happens at the end of CS2.

No matter how much choice they give, there's always a favorite. Like Mass Effect with Liara. Yeah yeah, Western, but I assure you the pattern holds in Eastern works as well.

I agree, but she's very popular. Judging by YouTube video views and other forums I've browsed, general top three are Alisa, Laura, Sara, usually with Alisa top 2.

Could just be the angle. Maybe new modeling assets. Rean looks like he cut his hair. Like he's trying to look more like Victor, like he's trying to impress a certain instructor. Or a certain Daddy's girl.

I imagine he'll be little more edgy and cynical, but as the game goes on his old friends bring him out of it. Plus Sara warned him against being a jaded grump.

The thing is I don't think the Jap audience would like it after getting used to it in the Crossbell and Cold Steel games. It could really turn them off. I doubt games with heroines with multiple choice partners are nearly as popular among men.

For the CS2 confession scenes on youtube, Sara has the most views, Laura the second and Alisa a distant third. In actual popularity polls I've seen on English sites Alisa tends to rank behind Sara, Laura and Fie.

Why are all main love interests so bland? Because it appeals to the most common denominator mostly. That's why japan has shit taste overall.

I kind of think alisa ranks so highly is because of artificial reasons, in that I think a lot of people "like" her because she's the canon choice, and because falcom have been pushing her from the start her scenes are more romantic than the others. If the other girls had been given a fair shake I think alisa would've been less significantly less popular.

I'd make an argument about P3P, but I don't know what its sales were like and even if they were pretty good it could be argued you could still do the boys game in that.

I know, and it fills me with hope. Plus some other emotions, which are strange and confusing.

I agree, especially if they gave the girl who SHOULD be main heroine a fair shake, but that's already been discussed.

Well do we have a general idea of the FemC's popularity in Japan? I know the West wishes she got more stuff but what about.

I swear, I hear Irreplaceable You within that, which just makes it all the more heartbreaking.

Further proof she's infinitely better than Millium.
Not even after all the stuff you've done, you can't fill that role Rean. You're still a huge dork.

Is it just the way power levels work in this world, or is Rean growing in power at an insane rate? Over the course of a few weeks in CS II he went from just making Sara stop holding back to avoid getting struck to matching her and being able to overcome her with his Ogre power. Only a few months earlier, she went through all of Class VII including Millium and Crow. Then there's his skill with Valimar. Just one month and a handful of battles and he can beat Mr. "I've had mine for three years." What is it with him? Natural talent? The result of whatever was shoved into his chest? Is he an experimental artificial human? Or is it just how crazy the power levels are in this world?

Maybe being synced with Valimar makes him stronger too. Plys he kind of gained control over his ogre power too, and that was always what Ka-Fai was saying was holding him back, because he subconsciously wouldn't let himself fight hard for fear of it overtaking him.

That's called standard JRPG progress. Remember how Estelle went from barely holding her own against bandits to defeating a goddamn Anguis?

That took ~7 months, special Bracer training, a reformed Enforcer, and two other people who might have been the Fifth Dominion and a Bracer who took down an Enforcer. There's also the fact that she's Cassius Bright's daughter, and possibly a Demi-God. She's got excuses out the ass.

True, perhaps what we see is Rean when he's not collared by fear of his power. But still, the extent to which his power increases is pretty insane. I really hope we run into Ka-Fai in CS3, so he can see Rean's growth. I also want a re-match with Victor Arseid.

You guys think Olivert will be playable in CS3?

Playable or a boss fight most likely.

After teasing him with his gun out in CS2, and him being the only non-playable person aside from Victor to busy is out of trouble in Heimdallr, I'd be surprised if he weren't. Hell, part of me thinks Falcom might go ABSOLUTE MADMAN and have EVERYONE(who was previously playable) playable, at least during a final dungeon like Reverie Corridor.

The Reverie Corridor feels like it was just shoved in so I hope it's not as terrible

The problem with Trails Final Dungeons is that they drag on for too long. They're cool for the first 15:00 minutes with their bizarre architecture and environment, but then it just keeps going and going and GOING. They also don't really have too much for you to do beyond grind for the final boss. There's no puzzles and the only issue is if you get lost, which is only a problem in Sky as dungeons don't have maps, iirc. Reverie Corridor lives up to its name though. I guess it was meant to be sort of fan service, having everyone for a final hurrah, and a few extra through those mirrors as well. It also could be foreshadowing, who knows what else Osbourne's interference might have fucked up?

Honestly, Reverie Corridor looks tacked on. Infernal Castle was the real "Final Dungeon" if you ask me. If anything, even though it's required in order to clear the game, Reverie Corridor was more of an "extra post-game" dungeon. Sure, it looks all mysterious and magical, but it's literally just a single floating path in a colored void, nothing else in the scenery. No epic music either.

I always saw Reverie Corridor as the final challenge for class 7, or more like an extra dungeon. The story is done with. The Infernal castle is the final dungeon.

That's exactly what it was. The main story for the most part in 2 was over but the story of Class 7 needed a conclusion to put the final nail on the coffin to allow them to cut their ties and go off on their separate ways. They had already decided what they were doing, but the final final dungeon gave them the extra push they needed, except for Rean who, granted, was put in a very difficult position

Wait until the 3rd's final dungeon, where you hear this for like 3 hours

I thought the whole game was a dungeon…

Y-you're kidding, right? Right?

Nope! You go through the pretty much same dungeon 4 times with 4 different parties then annihilate Rufina

… Fuck, I know I'll still play it, but it'll probably take me weeks to slog through it like I did is SC.

I'm guessing it plays during battles too?

So what games do you think that XSEED has in store, guys?

steamdb.info/sub/13578/apps/

TiTs the 3rd on February 14th

You wish. I mean those unknown games in the list.

Dinosaur: Resurrection localization

You wish. After the shitty sales of XN, I doubt that will happen.

In any case, there's a fan-translation in the works.

>is in club with Gaius, suspected Grahlsritter squire. Reminder that the Grahlsritter is a group who collects ancient powerful artifacts and likely possesses knowledge of Divine Knights

I'm surprised fingers haven't been pointed in this direction, yet. Unless they have been and I missed them.

Valimar isn't a girl-bot though.
Also, it's confirmed Beryl isn't Hexen Clan, right?

Celine says she's sure she's not a Witch.

Whoops. Point still stands. And Celine says Beryl's not a witch, though she mentions some sort of field keeping her safe from monsters. Someone speculated she's a vampire.

Cold Steel 3 2019-2020 release confirmed.

We knew that, though. I think it's technically possible they could pull it off in a year depending on how much meat Xseed is willing to throw behind the project.

Man, if they're not working alongside Falcom for Ys VIII or CS3, they're really slacking. Unless their relationship with Falcom is failing for some reason or the other.

She could be a different type of Animist.

Falcom has just never done that though…

But they have been talking up bringing their games westward and working on releasing them there. Falcom insistence is the reason we got Cold Steel in the first place. Perhaps that made people think Falcom was working more closely with localization companies as opposed to… whatever it is they plan to do.

Whats with Rean and head pets?

He really likes hair. The best is when Broval pats his head so he gets to feel all tingly inside after

He gets it from his father.

>tfw Osbourne pats Rean's head and tells him he's a good son

He's like Weissman where he's planting something inside them so that they may do his bidding one day.

For some reason, I get the feeling we're gonna get a Grand Rose in CS3. Who are you giving your's to?

That's going to be a really tough decision. Laura and Sara are the top contenders. However, Emma has been moving up the ranks a lot on the sheer fact that I think she's actually going to have a lot of plot this time around. Plus, there's always the small possibility someone like Duvalie would become an option and I'd have to reexamine all my choices.

There's also Claire and this cute green-haired gal.

Emma. She always, always had that smile you just want to protect, and has that "hidden beauty" factor to her. And considering she seems to have more relevance to the plot than anyone else, I'm surprised they show off Alisa as being the default waifu. I just wish most of her personal dialogue in CS2 didn't all come down to VitaVitaVitaYouGuysMustHateMeVitaVitaI'mNoGoodVitaVitaVita

Fie.

NO BECKY, NO BUY

But Fie is fine too.

Becky is for Hugo, user.

I going all of them!

Hugo is a Jew. Fuck him.

Yes, that's pretty much exactly what she wants.

Becky is pure, you tremendous faggot.

Fuck you, piece of shit trying to imply Becky is a slut.

NO BECKY, NO BUY.

Becky a slut fae Hugo

I'll hook ya rite in da gabber, ya wee bam.

We're all confused by that. It's not just an aesthetic thing, they had to write the plot and character like that intentionally throughout the game. I like to think they're good writers, but Alisa is a strange choice of main heroine when Emma's role exists. I can only guess she was added late in development or something, given how easily she could be written out with little detriment to the story. Celine could just watch over alone and given exposition, Fie could've picked the lock in Bareahard, Alisa could've gotten lucky with her arrow shot, she's pretty easy to get rid of.

I sure hope you're right. I'm stuck between Sara and Laura too, with Fie in a distant 3rd. I want to keep up my "Laura on Normal, Sara on Nightmare" trend, but Sara actually was really amazing in CS2 while Laura kind of felt like her character didn't go anywhere, so I might just do Sara on Hard to make up for it.

I wonder if she'll hit a growth spurt, or be a short stack. That could change everything.

What is that image?

I can't see that, since the Hexen Clan is one of the things about Cold Steel that was actually foreshadowed. The Ao no Kiseki collectable book, Agnes in the Sun, is about the Hexen clan. It even has a talking cat.

That could've just been for Vita and maybe Celine. Except for Heimdallr I think, the Class Study Groups make 4 evenly split if you take her out. Prototype Orbal staffs can just be tested by Elliot. Rean getting injured can be solved by an art or balm. Her only big interaction with other members of Class VII is tutoring Fie and a one sided rivalry with Machias. Machias and Jusis, Laura and Fie(and Rean a bit) had character conflict, while those that didn't (Elliot, Gaius, and Alisa) each had a Class Study where they had dedicated character revelation. Emma never really gets that. Yes, spoilers and whatever, but that didn't stop Crow or Millium.

It's a bunch of little things and conjecture, absolutely, but I can't help but suspect.

I wonder what Class VII would look like in the original Trails sprite style.

They might not have gone with a uniform look due to the sprites. I imagine Rean would look like Joshua and Alisa would look like a blonde Estelle.

Is Ys Origin supposed to feel MUCH easier than Felghana?
I don't know, while I love a lot of things in it over felghana(The music, Darm tower as whole and locations/levels, the non boss enemies, the new magics, the fact that I have a second weapon and that boots and armors have a secondary purpose at times) but the bosses are really meh. I don't know if it's because I got good at felghana but Origin just isn't putting much of a fight, especially since bosses aren't evolving their attacks during their later phases. The only boss I had some issues with so far, as Yunica, was the giant axe guy(Kishgul?) and that's because I couldn't be bothered to restart the cutscene every time I die to his one shots.
Don't get me wrong, I'll still probably play it with all three characters but I feel the bosses have dropped in quality so far and I want to know if I should adjust my expectations or if it'll pull in later. So far I'm at embed related.

Assuming you're playing on Nightmare, this area's boss is going to be a lot harder than the ones before.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was Rufus who convinced his father to acknowledge Jusis. Lord Albarea certainly doesn't seem like the type to do it on his own.

OH NO YOU DON"T
PS4 PRO IS SO AWESOME LET'S ALL TALK ABOUT IT GUYS!!!

How can one man be this autistic?

Don't respond to his bait, don't question his severe autism, just filter him and let him scream at himself.

Goddamn

I've heard a lot of shit heaped on the Evo releases. What's exactly wrong with them?

Ys V remake when?

From what I've been able to gather people don't like the art shift for the EVO versions.

After getting a taste of Zero music in CS2, and listening to the EVO versions of same songs, I'll imagine people don't like the EVO arrangements either.

Is there an option in the Evo versions to switch to the original tracks?

I don't know.
And admittedly, my opinion is only based on one song right now, "Get Over the Barrier"

Whens VII and Celceta for PC Falcom?
Don't you like my money!?

Honestly, the worst is the music, which are criminally bad remixes of excellent Falcom songs. The rest is mostly okay, though all the OPs are hilariously spoiler heavy. Trails in the Sky SC is particularly egregious.

It also seems to forget Agate, Zane and Walter exist.

Whoa, you were spot on about the spoilers, Joshua being controlled, Estelle being captured, the dragon, Renne being Ouroboros, even the fucking ending who the hell made this thing!? And why is it 4 1/2 minutes!? Did they really have to do the whole song? Maybe if they kept it down to a minute and a half like normal they could've avoided so many spoilers and been able to afford animating Zane, Agate, and Walter.

I don't get why Laura exists. Don't get me wrong, I like her as a character, but I don't understand her function in the story. I get why the others exist, but she's one I don't have an answer for.

Connected to the Reinford family, who basically has a monopoly in the tech sector of Erebonia, and provides your orbments and even some weapons. She's the heir of one of Erebonia's major powers who isn't a noble, and provides insight to Roer's society.

Son of a major member of the Reformist faction and represents the idea of being anti-nobility and the conflict between the factions.

Serves as a representative of the Nords, their ideas, perspectives, and situation.

Introduces new Orbal staff weaponry. Insight into the military due to his father Craig the Red, insight into the musical culture of Erebonia(World Building, basically). Plus, he's someone who doesn't really want to be at Thors, and that gives a unique perspective.

Represents the high nobility. Grants insights and perspectives on that culture, and works opposite Machias.

Represents the Hexen Clan, Witch culture, and provides exposition on metaphysical aspects of the story. At least, she exists so Celine can do that, anyway.

Representative of Jaegers.

Protagonist, represents lower nobility. Swordsman culture.

Millium and Crow should be self explanatory. Then we have Laura:

Legram Representative. Swordsman culture. Lower nobility.

Do you see what I mean? I like her well enough, but her role in the story is just two character conflicts and being Legram's tour guide. And having a really strong dad. I hope CS3 gives her more to do, especially after her Bond times in CS 2, at least to me, felt like fluff.

They probably just wanted to have a serious girl wielding a large sword to waifu. Sometimes it's that simple.

The fact that Loewe is wielding Kernviter right-handed and not left in this intro is triggering my autism.

Represents middle nobility, specifically nobles on very good terms with their subjects. Is the daughter of one of, if not the strongest man in the Empire. Her most important connection is to St. Sandlot, a critical figure in the past (and connected to the divine knights and possibly piloted one herself). Oh yeah, she's also still alive after 200 years, and there's something in the past that connects her to Laura's family, possibly tragically. Hell, she's even one of the contenders for Laura's mom.

So yeah, Laura has plenty to do, and you can bet CS3 is going to use her to go into the Sandlot/Arianrhod plotline.

So do we know anything about Tokyo Xanadu? Specifically, is the translation going to be censored garbage like what seems to be more and more the norm?

Arksys is a coin toss. It could decent, it could be NISA tier.

It's Aksys doing it, so it's a definite maybe.

Forgot about Arianrhod. Hopefully like Emma they're just saving Laura's story for CS3. Maybe a big confrontation since Phantasmal Blaze was Vita and Arianrhod's show. If not, I'm bringing this up again.

Forgot to mention that the Schwarzer family covers this.

They cover it…in Cold Steel 2. In Cold Steel 1, the game that sets up Erebonia, the Schwarzers are only alluded to.

This fucking opening gets worse the more I watch it. There's so many wrong shit there, like the scenes feeling fucking random, or only showing half of the characters, like all the playable girls, Olivier and Joshua, but fuck motherfucking Kevin. Let's show the Enforcers fighting the good guys but fuck Walter because that would mean showing Zane and that's not popular enough or a girl. Then we show every Enforcer at the same time, except not Walter.

This really needs one of those "everything wrong with…" videos.

Laura = full nobility by blood, but provides a(nother) contrast to Jusis, who's higher nobility, and is the son of Duke Albarea.

She's the daughter of a major player in the 3rd "neutral" faction (Viscount Arseid). A descendant of St. Sandlot, who was instrumental in Dreichel's campaign (and similar to Rean). She may also be related to Arianrhod who may or may not be actually St. Sandlot.

Rean is not noble by blood and doesn't consider himself noble. But he has a similarity with both Jusis (bastard child) and Laura (nice noble).

But yeah, really need to see more of her and Emma in CS3.

user, we have one or two man studios that can do it just fine. Almost all of Falcom games do have PC versions already and they sell well. This is just them being shortsighted again.
Remember that, right now on Steam, both Seven and Celceta Chinese PC versions were Greenlit almost instantly.

The Evo versions for 3rd, Zero and Ao are rather less bad than SC's. They are shorter and spoil far less (though they still definitely have spoilers). They could have been really good, sadly, as they clearly had at least a bit of a budget to do some animation, which the originals never really got. Even Cold Steel just makes do with moving CG stills primarily.

(Embedded is Ao no Kiseki's, so if you want to stay virginal on that don't click it)

So how is 3rd different from the other Sky games? I know Kevin takes over the role of main protagonist. Is it one big dungeon crawl?

From what I've heard, it basically sets up the rest of the series's plot.

It is dungeon crawler no hub town or field map. You do dungeon, you return to hub zone and switch out party/heal/get item then return to dungeon, repeat forever. It ties up loose ends in story and offers backstory to many characters.

Probably the best look we've got at this picture yet.

If Altina keeps those clothes on for the rest of the game I might have to waifu her.

DID SOMEONE SAY PS4 PRO THREAD

I THOUGHT I HEARD SOMEONE SAY PS4 PRO THREAD

Now that's a Vita I could support.

twitter.com/omgfloofy/status/829800834200457216

The…the way they're talking this could be out this year…

YEEEESSSS

Is it for the PC version?

Both

Well it was supposed to come out in December 2016 :^)

That was the old one. Now they have to go through and rewrite it because the guy who made it before was a purest weeb who had no idea what the Trails series was and made everything a literal translation. Now I just wish he had done Ao too so that could be done similarly speedily.

Löwe Monogatari has had a translation started: bato.to/comic/_/comics/sora-no-kiseki-gaiden-löwe-monogatari-r20694

It's more of just editing than completely rewriting it. They'll no doubt keep most of the things, just give the more literal translations fixes and other fixes to fit in line with XSEED's translation.

Yep, pretty much. It's pretty exciting it's so close.

It's kind of a shame that Ao is so much better and most of the "OH SHIT" stuff happens in it. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers.

2017 truly is a year of greatness. Also I concede on my point about Laura. Still, I hope her rivalry with Duvalie and connection to Arianrhod make a big impact. I hope Falcom gives no fucks and just makes the most massive fucking game they can.

I'm sure Ao will come in time. Without Zero I'm sure it wouldn't have the same impact.

Shit, man, I'm just glad to get started on the crossbell series.

I just need to wait

Other than the Zero FT being in Editing, anything to add to the OP?

3rd is 60% done with editing.

New thread