I just realized I'm a fucking faggot for Final Fantasy

I just realized I'm a fucking faggot for Final Fantasy.
My favorite is currently Final Fantasy 2 (with Firion) (I'm almost done with 3, but just like with bravery default I don't really like the job system

What's your favorite Final Fantasy Holla Forums? Why?

Other urls found in this thread:

ffera.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1943
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

When you get to IV, V and VI, then you tell me.

Remind me, because I don't think I remember correctly.

IV is with Cecile
V is with Butz
VI is with Kefka, is that right?

Another person who likes FF2. People dont appreaciate it enough.

Personally I think the Emperor is the best villian of the series thus far. (Granted I have really only beaten 1, 2 and most of 15) and to be fucking honest I don't even get the broken disjointed as fuck story that is FF15, so whatever,

I've played a large portion of the final fantasy games and it always disappointed me how apart from an exception here or there you can almost always win boss fights by spamming your best attacks/spells. I've started playing other JRPGs and found this is pretty much the only series that does this. It's really, really boring for combat.

See i'm sort of okay with it, I like simple JRPGS, I don't want shit like Natural Doctrine, or stuff like that. Just a simple story, simple game play. Go to the next town to buy better gear beat the bad guy.
I dunno maybe that's just me.

Plus
I have a fucking hard on for summons. This is the only series besides Golden sun that i know that really does summons.

I've played nearly all of them as well and what bugs me about most of them is that staus ailments don't work on bosses but they largely do on random encounters, even though you can usually beat them with just attacks

1 is still probably my favorite because it doesn't waste your fucking time like the rest of them and the job system isn't just a bunch of pointless grinding to make an already easy game even more pathetic.

Status effects work on bosses in every game in the series. Fuck off back to tvtropes.

there's usually one or two bosses that are affected by them, but holy shit does it make it worthless to actually use status affecting moves.

For comparison, a recent JRPG I completed, Panzer Dragoon Saga is probably the most satisfying one I've played. There's no grinding ever needed at any point, and the game grades your performance for every fight, figuring out the absurdly high risk:high reward strategies of nailing an excellent boss fight is incredibly satisfying. More so when you see how your exploitation of their moves puts you at extraordinary risk, but also allows you to deliver truly absurd damage and take them out incredibly fast, giving you a tremendous sense of power and accomplishment over killing something that, had you specced poorly for the fight (you can change your stats at any time in PDS) you may have died from one or two attacks.

I did like 1 a lot too. There wasn't much substance to the story, but what it did had felt impactful.

Eh? I though Panzer Dragoon Saga was a rails shooter?

What?

Saga is the only one in the series that isn't a rail shooter

This board will be deweebified, mark my words.

PD, Zwei, Mini, and Orta are rail shooters. Saga is the only RPG in the mix, and its also one of the best RPGs of all time and also one of the most expensive games ever made now.

And yeah, I understand the appeal in real thinking level JRPGS and I appreciate them when I am in the mood for them. But for me, Final Fantasy in general just scratches an itch. At least the early ones do.
I dunno. I will check out panzer saga it looks pretty nice.

Still wish more games had summons though

the golden sun games had really cool summons. Saga has some awesome looking spells called Berserk's. A lot of the attacks in general left me with a sense of awe. The entire series is worth playing except Mini and R-Zone, and Zwei is connected closely to Saga.

Plus the music is fantastic.

Sage negated.

I had a lot of fun with FFV's jobs system and FFX's sphere grid. FFVI has the best aesthetic (esp. music) of the FF games I played but I like FFX's one too. I spent a lot of my childhood playing FF games on console and emulators.

FFX is a meme because of whiny Tidus and the HARR HARR HARRR HARR scene and other shit, but beneath that it's a pretty tragic & moving setting. All those tiny villages trying to survive, always living in fear, the blind faith in a corrupt church… when I was flying back from visiting relatives in Poland I got sad from listening to FFX music while thinking about all the villages in the Polish countryside. Had the best icecream in my entire life in one of those towns.

I like 5 because job systems. I also think 4 is the most overrated title, but that might be because I played the DS version and wasn't impressed. I heard the other versions were even easier, and while I'm sure SE memed up the DS's translation a few times it's more accurate when the big story cutscenes are happening, and they seemed kind of lame. Like, I'm sure if it was your first JRPG it would be pretty cool (and since it was fairly early on the SNES it probably was for a lot of people), but I'm pretty sure it's outclassed by DQ4, and that was on the NES/Famicom.

I honestly couldn't stand 6. 6 had no characters, a boring over world, and some really poor music. 7 Is a much better game.

It's a shame that FFX-2 hides the best iteration of the job system to date behind idolshit. I couldn't stand the game's characters or setting or really it being a continuation of FFX in general on top of all the Hatsune Miku shit and writing Lulu out because her tats were too big and her personality didn't mesh with being an idol, but holy shit the combat is phenomenal.

V > 7 > 4 > VIII = X >>> the rest >>> shit >>>>>>>>>> xiii through 15

Why sage if you contributed to the thread?
What made you like 5 so much?

I really love the game but defense is so broken in that game, the abilities you get let you be invincible and deal counters, you can just chill in what should be a complete death zone and come out singing.

that is part of what makes it great, those tricks don't work all the time, you always have the pressure of sequential attacks and positioning working against you, sometimes you need to spec in spirit or agility, attack, but there are many ways to pull it off. Defense is only so useful, and the speed of combat is definitely crippled, hurting your grades and depriving you of boss exp especially

Tactics is the best one.
Draw your sword, Ramza!

VI and IX are the only good ones, the rest are dogshit and you should kill yourselves for liking them.

VI has the best villain, story, and cast.
IX has the best gameplay and aesthetics.

Anyone who doesn't like either is not a real fan. All the other games are so much worse than these two masterpieces (especially VIII) that it is embarrassing any of you fucks talk about them.

Don't you like V? It's a bit silly compared to other entries, but playing around with the class system is fun. Also, what do you think about the tactics games?

all games have their merit and no one can have the wrong opinion. I appreciate your input, thank you.

Yup, defense is casual mode, you use those abilities when you just want to eat a city destroying laser to the face and come out unharmed, normally I just go attack/agility and focus on weakpoints. High risk high reward.

I don't like Kefka at all but I don't like lolrandom or "destructive/evil because they're crazy" villains in general.

V is a pale shadow compared to the bright light that is VI.

This is what losers tell themselves.

Kefka is the best villain in the entire series, you probably just didn't understand him.

Chocobos though bro.

Kefka left the earth in ruins. At least he's a successful villain.

I understand him perfectly fine, it's the people who say he's well-written when he's not really written at all that I don't get.

That's true, Kefka's got enough merit that he wasn't stopped until it was too late. He even took magic as an entire concept with him when he went since he was the legitimate god of magic when he died.

Chocobos are litteraly in every game. Quality is only in two games.

t. IX fan

If you don't IX then you have shit taste. The only thing that would be better is VI in XI's game engine.

IX's one of my favorites alongside IV and V, how it handles class progression the Tactics style (or I guess the other way around, Tactics handles jobs IX-style since I think IX came out first) ended up working really well and made you think a bit more about what gear you were using until you'd mastered each ability. I've got plenty of grievances about it though, primarily character subplots just getting dropped though everybody crows about VI despite it also having this problem and being arguably worse about it and the mandatory 30-second loading screen/"dynamic" intro to each and every fight.

Why are you shilling PDS fucking everywhere? Seriously, you've been posting about it (or posting art from it) for a few days now. It's a good game, but calm your damn tits, nigga.

Don't what now? C'mon, I ain't playin no gay anime dbz dildo shit.

Sup Britbong, FF2 is pretty decent.

Woah, people who enjoy II. It's rare. The level system is fun to play with. Same for VIII.

As for a favorite, I'll go with good old V, even though Bravely series quite nicely revamped the job system. I regret we don't have a Freelancer like in V, with stats gained from every mastered class and the ability to add two skillsets, though. I also regret most people hate X-2 with a passion because of idolshit, too, because it has an interesting take on what could be an active job system for current FF games.

It helped distract from the battle theme.

No they weren't. FF1 had no chocobos.

Which version? I really like the PSP versions of I and II.

Anyway, it's a difficult question. Haven't played some of them in a while.

I, XII (IZJS) and Tactics are some of my favorites for sure. Haven't played V, VI and IX in a while, but from what I remember, they are also some of the best.

I don't remember that much about X and X-2, but I believe they were really fantastic games, but everything except the gameplay should just be ignored.

I don't really like IV.

FF6 was, is, and will always be my favorite. FFT comes in second place. FF4 comes up third (SPOONY MOTHERFUCKING BARD!) even though it was my first FF. FFX was decent and the last high water mark from the series.

Everything else sucked shit. 7 water down the series for the masses and began the "fantasy is optional" trend, 8 sucked from about every angle possible (shit story, shit characters, shit music, shit gameplay), 9 was a shitty fanservice game, 11 the online MMO bastard child of series, 12 I honestly never played because fuck FF by now, 13 I tried but could NOT fucking stand, 14 and 15 can fuck right off I haven't given them a second thought.

FF is dead to me.

All right, weekly FF thread!

I = Ultima + Wizardry coolness
II = Morrowind(-like) coolness
III = Today a lawyer, tomorrow a doctor
IV = muh plot
V = Today a carpenter, tomorrow a drycleaner + plot(holes)
VI = KEFKAKAKAKAKAKAKA
VII = Tits and Chad's sexual adventure
VIII = A love story… with no love
IX = Today, 50% more like the games from yesteryear!
X = Metaphor of the racial inferiority of south-east asian peoples. (Sin stands for western civilization)
X-2 = J-POP will make it great, they said
XI = Pick a bottle of fine wine, add ten gallons of tap water, share with 10000 people, watch them defend it to the death, ???, profit.
XII = A Masuno game… with no Masuno
XIII, XIII-2, XIII-3 = Can't even joke about it.
XIV = Pick a bottle of fine wine, piss in it, add ten gallons of tap water, share with 10000 people… wait, maybe we should restart
XV = It looks gay, it sounds gay and it plays gay, but it's 100% straight. So if you don't buy you're a homophobe.

you've only played 1,2, and 15!? get the fuck of this bored you fucking band wagoning poser

whelp looks like we got one those greasy haired joker loving just wanna watch the world burn faggots over here.
IX did probably have the best game play though.

FF1 was trash. FFVI and FFIX had chocobos, and that is what matters.

Reminder that IV is patrician tier and anyone who disagrees is a fucking faggot.

IV is SHIT.

MUH PLOT ruins the already inferior gameplay.

Worst Final Fantasy.

Either 3 or 8. It's hard to explain with 3. Just felt like a really tight game. It isn't particularly complex. Nor is it particularly long. The story is basic, but enough subtly to actually make you think about the motivations or tone of the events. There is enough variety to experiment with the jobs if you really want to.

8 would take a long time to explain. But basically: junction/GF system, characters, and the story to some extent. The setting, really mixing the mundane/surreal fantasy stuff. Triple Triad.

I'd probably say 11 though, but that doesn't feel like it's viable for these discussions.

I like 1, 5 and 9 the best (Tactics doesn't count, but would be on that rung if it did).
12 is the most interesting story, largely because of the glorious localization. Fucking Occuria and the iambs.

What are the best versions of Final Fantasy I and II in English at this point?

From 6:20 to 7:00 in this song

I swear this is another one of Bravely's OST borrowed passages/leitmotifs but I can't identify where it's from. Help?

Other examples: final dungeon theme on Second obviously takes from ALTTP Hidden Mountain

Battle with Diamante takes from a FF boss theme, one of 4's I think?

Defaults Cave of Darkness borrows from the FF4 dungeon theme as well

Wicked Flight from Default has Zelda Fairy Fountain in it

The leitmotifs used in the Bravely soundtracks might just be amazing but I can't identify them all.

Best versions are the PSP ones

GBA is 2nd place

shit, wrong song, that the ALTTP one

Here's the right one

How's the translation work compare between both?

8 is my favorite.

The world gushes with flavor and character.

I honestly have no idea, but they both have so little dialog I don't think it's that big a deal

I don't remember not understanding something, nor do I remember anything that seemed out of place

2, 5, and 13-3 are my favorites. Based entirely on gameplay since the stories are never anything special to me.

Hmm. Aren't there some gameplay differences between the GBA and PSP versions of Final Fantasy II as well? Are both acceptable, or is one the "proper" way for the game to be played?

Baal theme best theme

Wrong, Wicked Flight is the main FF theme but Evil.

nah dude, listen

Compare

Nah dude, compare

and

I hear much longer arpeggios in the FF main theme than in Flight

Not to mention Flight isnt alternating between ascension and descension, but jumping

I played the PSP version more recently and the PS1 (Origins) version back then.

Not sure that the GBA version has the extra dungeons, but PS1 and PSP do.

The translation is irrelevant because FF1 barely has a story.

Jumping from low to high to restart its descending, that is

And use of a Fairy theme makes far more sense as far as leitmotifs are concerned as well

Seriously, I hear the Fairy Fountain. Got notation or tabs?

No reason it can't be both, /mu/.

I remember reading that at least FF1 is locked on easy mode. The intelligence stat isn't bugged like the NES version, so black magic actually works right in the newer versions.

Why would I shill a game nobody would buy? That's just dumb.

You know, its really sad. I use to be a 6 fanboy hard, and 5. But playing through the original three on the nes made realize that everything after those three were shit. 2 and 3 were really fucking good. 2 had a totally different approach to character development, killed of side charaters, made the villain change three times, had a very open world early game. 3 was over the fucking top fantasy. That last dungeon, collecting all the sacred weapons and items at the end, good pacing. I don't know. I might never play a final fantasy again after the original 3. I didn't know they were that over to the top compared to the first one. I am rambling.

GOOD MUSIC TOO

I think 7 is a really enjoyable game with a lot of touching moments. Lots of people don't seem to recall them on the spot, but they say music and sounds are some of the most effective ways to kindle memories.

7 is fucking soulless and I hate it. The characters are fucking boring as shit, the music is dull and the story is edgy teenage shit.

Some people don't differentiate between simply trying to get people to take time to play a game you recommend, and someone trying to get them to actually buy a game off someone's recommendation. In a way, both are shilling, but there's a difference between shilling for one's time (older games tend to fall more under this, due to ease of piracy and/or emulation), and shilling for someone's wallet. I've had people accuse me of being a paid shill simply for expressing a deep liking for games over a decade old, where the devs obviously see no money from physical sales at this point and probably don't see much if any for digital rereleases.

so you hate it because it appeals to some edgy teens? doesn't make the game less shit. It IS a good game, W/E you think about it

VII is good. The story is okay.

However, I did try to play it again recently and it just wasn't fun the second time. Too much MUH PLOT, even though it doesn't screw with the gameplay that much like in IV.

In general, I just prefer RPGs with simpler stories and more of a focus on the gameplay. At least nowadays.

that is why I will only play the original three on nes.

Are you fucking retarded or a girl?
The mechanics are boring, the materia system is shit, and CUT SCENES and walls of fucking text about emo shit I dont care about cause my mommy was a test tube is garbage/earth gaia shit good, humans industry bad. Go back to cuckchan.

Well, I played XII (IZJS) and Tactics recently and those games have stories that I have already seen (that are considerably better and easier to skip) and it doesn't bother me.

I guess it just gets in the way a lot more in some of the games.

VII is basically going from point A to point B because the story wants you to, even though there are some optional things to do (like getting Yuffie, the best character), that's pretty much the entire first half of the game at least and there generally isn't much to do other than that.

I couldn't make it to the second disc this time. Also, VII is pretty damn easy. Easier than usual.

The simpler games are just better, if you ask me. And having a job system seems to always make them better.

I only ever beat 12, Tactics, and 4 for GBA.

I guess I like the ones with job systems best.

Also, in FF3 remake (PSP version is best version- better than the PC version) you gain job levels by turn count.

You can gain one job level per battle by using defense/pass turn a few times. Max level monk is a game breaker.

I laughed too much for my own good with this picture. Nice move.

Called it since day one and people called me a moron who can't appreciate TRUE PERFECT THREEDEE AND DEEP STORY.

FF2 still holds up for me today because of it's awesome level system, good choice.

3 has the big problem of having jobs that are good for a period of time before the game forgets about them, makes the starting jobs kinda worthless to keep using (except onion knight of course). 5 solves that problem with it's ABP system fortunately. best final fantasy is 12

Monk?
try Bard with Requiem
At Job Lvl. 99 Bard deals 19% of an enemy's current HP, without an upper cap

Mustache is so fucking sexy, Jesus Christ.

Sounds like Lufia and the Fortress of Doom for SNES might be up your alley.

As would Wild ARMs and 7th Dragon.

All versions of FF1 past Origins (WS and PS1) are locked into a pathetic easy mode.

If you want to play FF1, play the Origins versions. It fixes some bugs/issues with the original without destroying the fabric of the game with stuff like ethers and MP systems.

You don't need fuckin' post-game dungeons in FF1. It's trash content appended on mostly from other FFs.

FF2 is also underrated, but it does have a lot of issues. If you like FF2, I fully recommend getting into SaGa, since that's where SaGa director Kawazu got his start. The leveling system gets refined and expanded as he goes.

For FF1 it's Origins version on PS1. GBA and PSP versions reduced difficulty to an almost insulting degree. Origins also retains spell charge system instead or replacing it with MP.

With FF2 pretty much any version is an improvement over NES version.

yeah I'm talking about the PSP versions.
I just had to Kill Doga and Unei in FF3 so I think I'm close to the end of the game. It's surprsingly sad.

Thanks man! I'll check these out.

Still hate that Final Fantasy has the monopoly on summons.

INT isn't really "bugged" in the old versions, because that would imply that they had a system for it that was intended to be used. I'm pretty sure the game just doesn't have any way to actually use INT in its code and its simply unimplemented.

There's also an MSX version of FFI in addition to the others.

Tactics is my all-time favorite
Though I never played many FF games

(checked)
Lufia and the Fortress of Doom (North America) isn't the best game in this genre. It's more or less a simplified Dragon Quest. I think it's easier too. Though there are a few puzzles you may need to look up a few guides for.

The color towers is the biggest offender. That's as worse as the game gets.

There is a bit of grinding if you want to min/max good gear but it isn't necessary to beat the game. Still Lufia I is my go to choice of a comfy vanilla JRPG.

If you want to play the Japanese version with a translation patch the game is called Estpolis Denki. Taito of America did a bretty gud localization if you like campy dialogue. Lufia II's localization by Natsume was quite shit in comparison.

Here's these if they help for Wild Arms. While on the topic, their summons are "Guardians" and the summon term is "Materialize." All the main series games have Guardians in some format, though whether they're all that plot important (they play a heavier role in WA1/ACF and WA3), which ones are in the game, and who can summon them varies from entry to entry.

Has Lufia II ever received a patch to touch up or outright retranslate the English script? I think I've seen before that both SNES games have uncensor patches, but I don't recall hearing anything much for the script itself.

This is a tangent, but where'd the FFXI threads go? They're way too infrequent compared to the XIV ones, I've been considering joining in but never saved the info from the threads. I don't think I've seen one for a month or so.

SO OP HERE
I just beat FF3
So, did the warriors of darkness sacrifice themselves so that the warriors of Light could kill the Cloud of darkness?
can I fuck the cloud of Darkness?

Do what I did. Play FFIV with the hard difficulty that changes up the fights and adds mechanics. Go it blind and no grinding. I had such a blast, each fight I had to actually come up with something to just barely make it. One encounter there was literally no other option than using "throw" with one of my guy's best weapons.

>can I fuck the cloud of Darkness?
You can fuck anything if you are brave enough

Wouldn't you?

Nobody was really joining and the threads were getting ignored, think the one making the threads moved on to other things. People just don't like FFXI for some reason.

You can still join with the info here:
ffera.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1943

I'm still playing, though I'm mostly using the server's social shell now since the 8ch one is a ghost town. Tell Kashiri if you need a pearl or anything.

I've played 3 DS, 4 DS, 5 SNES, 6 SNES, and 12 (default version). I hate the DS FF games and learned years after playing them that they're the worst versions that screw up balance for the sake of graphics. Like how in 3 you're supposed to be fighting 6+ enemies at the same time but instead you're fighting 3 buffed enemies who give the same exp. Making spell casters with AOE moves pointless and now you're always underleveled.

Anyway 12 is my favorite despite not playing the IZJS version. The setting is great and has a lot of world building put into it thanks to the bestiary. People may complain that the combat plays its self but the game gives you full control of your team and you're not even forced to use gambits. It's like playing easy mode and complaining the game is too easy. You can make the game play its self and you could even make a challenge run out of that. Gambits should just be used for things that are either too tedious or for things that are too fast for you to react to (heal ally at 40% HP or constant bubble spell). Most of the retarded battle mechanics were fixed in the IZJS too.

This is one of the few games in the series that had massive maps as well that had a bunch of areas to explore. Yet people didn't like this so SE took the extreme decision and made FF13 a literal straight line for nearly every map. Back to 12, there were legit mazes, environments looked like something monsters/animals would actually live in. There was a large variety of places too and enemies that countered many builds. Many of the hunt bosses were difficult and there was a bunch of side quests open at many times. As for the characters, it was a more mature cast than what's usually presented. Vaan and Penelo were added later in development when the original dev left the project. They were made to appeal to an younger audience and why Vaan is, kind of, the protagonist. But the game makes it pretty clear that Basch, Ashe, and Balthiar are the stars of the show.

Honestly don't remember much about the plot anymore but found myself enjoying it. Can't say that much for most FF games I've seen. I don't remember it going full retard either.

7 was garbage and people only like it because it was their first exposure to the series.

Just like Fallout fans, if Fallout 3 was your first Fallout game then you probably didn't like NV. If you played Fallout 1 + 2, NV is probably your favorite Fallout.

If you like FF7, it more than likely is because it was your first FF. The game ruined the series. Fuck Square for going with Sony for the goddamn storage space on CDs instead of sticking it out with Nintendo.

ah wait, FF VI is 3d?
I thought it was a 2d game

FF VI is 2d, that video is just a tech demo.

Not with that encounter rate it isn't.

What the fuck do you know jackass?
My first Fallout game was 3 and I think it's shit after playing the first two games

OP here.
So I just started FFIV.
Haven't even moved away from Starting City Baron. But I am at level 25 because I wanted those stupid fucking summon drops.
Am I autistic?

I'd recommend you just start over unless you want to trivialize the game yes you are austitic, not unlike me but I never spent that much time on it

I just won't grind for a while is all. I spent too long getting those drops to restart

You just grinded with Cecil solo right? If then, it's fine since his level will reset to 1 when he turns into a paladin

I'm currently playing 14.
As for the single player ones: 9,8,7,12,6

Nope literally when Kain and Cecil leave Baron.
Holy shit this so much more story driven than 1 2 or 3.

Yeah, 4 was the first really story driven FF, I don't know if that's good or not though. Also Kain doesn't really stay in your party much until endgame so you won't stay overleveled for long

Thanks. If I have the original discs on hand, will that streamline anything or are they going to be totally redundant with the way the torrent packages are formatted?

The torrent is just the disks in a convenient digital format, so long as you can get into pol and do a filecheck to get up to the most recent client version, you should be okay. (So long as you have the relevant expansions up to WoTG, if you don't have those, torrent)

he's correct on everything but 7 being a better game because 7 is bad in its own ways

I generally appreciate them all, but I still haven't played XIII 1-3. I even have the first two on PC just waiting to be played but every time I go for it I end up replaying something else instead. Haven't played XV yet either, probably will pick it up at some point but I'm in no rush. Personal favorite is probably X since gameplay wise its one of the more entertaining and the spear grid is a great system since it gives you a ton of variety. Still need to play with the expert system/beat the dark aeons with the remasters since I was never able to play the international version in the past. I've spent more time on Blitzball them I'm willing to admit. I definitely need to go back and play the older games since I haven't played most of them since I was teenager so I don't really remember the details. Especially tactics.

Finished a VIII run a few hours ago, I hated it when it came out but I've grown to love it over time. Exploiting the junction system is amusing and the universe is very unique. It tends to get shit on the most in the franchise, its a shame.

Stop trying

I'm trying to play x-2 but the cutie honey jpop shit is killing me.

almost forgot the other thing that is killing x-2 for me is yuna's feral rat tail and paine

I usually just ignore that. For me I consider this the opening, not the pop song.

Please
Please tell me how to level up the speed stat or whatever it was. The one that lets you run away.

How the fuck do you run away from enoucnters in this fucking game it's driving me crazy oh god

FF2 has a great atmosphere to it, though. The story is a tad shallow, but they did really great job of presenting an overwhelming, evil ass empire in this one.
Well, they do it well in most the 2D FF games. but this one had a little something to it - with you hearing Scot's last words as he dies, characters like Gordon, Minwu and Joseph… It's a very colourful cast for its time.

Good game. Flawed, and definitely not the best FF, but a jolly good time.

I can never get into FFT. The game is just way too slow to the point of being frustrating. In Disgaea and most TRPGs, I could make 2 - 3 turns into the time it takes me to make 1 turn in FFT. Disgaea has it where making your characters do what you want is a very simple process with many shortcuts that don't require you to go through menus to do.

You can't just "ignore" that intro and pretend that''s not the beginning. How do you even do that? Do you numb out other games like this?

I just want a return of the fighter and black mage dynamic.

The only ones I've played so far are FF7 and 6, both of which I like a lot, but I got stuck on FF6's final dungeon because one of the three groups always manages to get steamrolled by a mob using absurd tactics like spamming the shit out of L5 Doom or freezing everyone before I even get a chance to realize what the fuck just happened. I don't want to start playing another one until I beat FF6, but I really have no idea what to do.

You are objectively wrong and allow me to explain why:

I recently replayed FF7 using the Reunion mod which is a complete retranslation of the game, and looking at it now, twenty years later, I can feel the ambition and joy it was made with.

Sakaguchi's dick was practically erect with creative freedom when he made FF7, as were the dicks of each member of the development staff. They put everything they could think of in that because, motherfucker, they could and no one could stop them. Horse Racing and Snowboarding minigames? Sure. A sweet motorcycle sequence? Check. Fucking Kaiju? You know it. Gothic European Neighborhoods with Heavy Industrial flair? Yeah. Las Vegas made out of giant mushrooms? No reason not to. Vampires? Hell the fuck yes.

And I mean look at the environments. Each prerendered backdrop is oozing with detail and information. One of my favorite background details in the game is in the beginning when Cloud has to choose between fighting or running away from Shinra soldiers and in the window of a nearby house you can see the shadow of its resident going about his business projected through the drapes. It's a nothing fucking detail on a backdrop that never shows up ever again, but it shows how much care and attention they paid to every little detail.

I mute it and wait for the actual game to begin. I do that any time a game makes me cringe.

People will debate on whic version of 4 is the best, but the ds version is not that great, the chibi ruins the astetics. I would say play 4 on gba myself, but SPOILER they added some plotholes for the endgame area.

no joke, no lie (pic related) hands down best final fantasy sense FF6 which is the best.

The setting and the world design are honestly why I still love VII.

I have to agree with this, but I have not played every FF.
generic overly dramatic anime shit, and I like anime. Combat is shit but i tried to excuse it for it's age.
Pretty damn comfy, but the combat system is tedious and the skill system is even worse. I have fallen asleep playing this game numerous times
Story resonates with me, probably my favorite story of the games I've played so far. Script is fucking terrible though and the combat is just as bad
I'm currently playing it. Having a blast with different play-styles. I've gone through the first 2 chapters 6 times and the 3rd chapter twice.

Except it wasn't and you're a huge fucking faggot.

A man reclaims his free will despite the psychic influence of an alien parasite that has nearly destroyed the planet?

I could see it as a shonen-type thing. But the fact that the plot moves forward from the protagonist's failures more often than his successes is interesting.

I played FF4 and 6 (2/3) and got into a pseudo argument with a high school friend that there was no way FF7 could be as good or better than FF6. Then i played FF7, and i was dead fucking wrong. The setting, the music, the dram and the comedy, it was all fantastic. You're just a contrarian hipster faggot who doesn't like things that're popular.

I also played Resident Evil 1-3 and prefer them to 4, but fuck me with a crooked broomstick if RE4 isn't fantastic on a dozen levels.

OK so base evasion% stat discates your chance to run from battles (keep in mind chest monster battles, former bosses and most undead are unrunnable). To raise it your best bet is to have a shield equipped. Also heavy Armor lowers your evasion stats and magic efficiency significantly. Basically anything that has strong hit on your equipment is practically worthless.
The value of evasion% stat is dictated by base agility and shield (weapons also give minor evasion% boost, and agility stat grows by having good evasion%.

TLDR: Equip shield and take off all that heavy junk you're wearing.

*strong hit on your evasion

If having a world as empty as 1, 2, 3
A cast more unlikable than 8 and 10
Combat worse than any of them
A final half that was just as shit as 13
& Real life corporate advertising

make a "great" FF game (which that trash isnt deserving of the name) then you are why this series turned to dirt and need to kill yourself for the betterment of mankind

I still think all shit aside 8 and 9 had the best aesthetics and atmosphere.

wait wut

Favourite is V, and it's also the one I started with
Second place if we're including spinoffs would have to be Tactics
If we aren't then I'm not sure. I haven't played 2 but I'm a SaGafag so I'll probably check it out at some point

For the 6-fags in the thread, when does shit pick up? I haven't progressed much yet, just finished suplex-ing the train and now I've run into (and named) Gau, but so far the game is almost entirely non-interactive sequences and waiting to pick what basically amounts to the objectively better of next to no move options to fight bosses that are basically just small blobs of HP with showy attack animations. I cant think of a JRPG that has dragged its feet quite this much

It gets a lot better after the Floating Island. I had basically the same reaction to 6 that you're having, and I can assure you that things get a hell of a lot more interesting in the World of Ruin, if not a bit too nonlinear.

Most worthwhile are IV, V, VI, VII, IX, XII, and Tactics. Rest are personal preference/too subjective/patrician-tier.

Vagrant Story is kickass too.