Self-imposed vidya challenges

What's some tough or entertaining little challenges you've set for yourself in games?

I tried to go full terrorist and attempted to gun down every single person in the Budapest hotel mission of Codename 47. However after getting killed twice, I changed tactics and became the Serial Strangler.

I managed to fiber wire everyone while avoiding detection, until I won the final shootout against the remaining guards who patrolled in pairs.

Needless to say Diana was not pleased.

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/36me2
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

anything else is all for style points

Mark of the Ninja

I played with one of the oni masks and hanged every enemy I could find by a light post and the rest I scared before killing. I pretended I was a murderous Batman.

I play stealth games on ironman.

That means no saving and reloading. It's very immersive.

I tried playing Exploding Turtle mode in mgsv as a staff member. Thickest armor+shield+all explosives, start out innatank, can't ask for more equipment, you're also too retarded to know how to use anything that doesn't kaboom. It didn't really go well.

Another one was playing something I call "Inheritance" in New Vegas. Start out with 75,000 caps, can't sell anything ever.

Not very exciting stuff

An imposed class challenge for pic related. Makes it far more enjoyable and challenging. The only class that can use items is a chemist, each class has its own weapons/skills/magic (if any)/amor etc on the license board. Unlike IZJS the classes are useful and not completely OP or broken. This way one actually has a party of 6 useful members rather than 6 superheroes once you reach midgame.

Before there were achievements to pat you on the head for doing so, I used to play Factorio while never using solar panels, or logistics robots, or laser turrets.

The first of those is easy so long as you keep enough of a coal buffer around (as running completely out will kill a base) and pay attention; in endgame you're going to be bringing in massive amounts of ores by train, so adding some trains for coal isn't difficult.

The second is the easiest on its own, as it mostly just requires you to not be stupid with your belt arrangements.

The last is the most difficult but ONLY when combined with also not using robots. Having a fleet of bots to repair/replace/reload your guns makes the entire exercise piss-easy. But if you don't have bots, you're going to be losing a lot of walls and turrets once the behemoth spitters start coming around, as the gun turrets have less range than the lasers, so you have to run around replacing them a lot, and setting up large stretches of wall with belts to replace the ammo in them can be a logistical nightmare. The recent addition of flamethrower turrets negates a lot of this difficulty, though, as they are more easily kept supplied with just pipes of oil and fire does game-breakingly huge amounts of damage.

I'm going to unlock everything original Binding of Isaac Rebirth has before playing any of the DLC.
Got around 20 items left.

Completing Dark Souls 3 with a torch only.

A FUCKING TORCH

When I die in a game, I restart from the beginning.

baby shit, try NG+7 SL1 no dodge no roll fucking retard

No, torch is way harder. You don't deal 300 on final boss with it.

When I die in a game, I sell it.

When I die in a game, I kill myself.

>>>/nigger/

Grimrock 2, did a berserker viking run. Only allowed to throw things, go fist melee or use bludgeoning weapons while wearing nothing but heavy helmets.

if a game needs self-imposed penalties/limitations to be difficult i either quit playing because i've gotten too good at it or stop playing because the game has no underlying resistance and i don't play games to not atleast have to put a little effort in

Not mine, but try winning a Total War campaign, but without winning a single engagement.

I once got through the entire 1/3 of Nightfall in Halo Reach without being spotted on Legendary.

May not sound that impressive but Halo's stealth sections are always shit and you are designed to get caught nearly immedately after the first few enemies.

The entire thing took 5+ hours just because I had to wait on enemy patrols to go to the exact right spots and dodge from building to building.

you're fucking leveled up in torch only you can tank as many hits as you want and heal - in SL1 NG+7 you die instantly if you get hit once regardless of the damage you do. The challenge is infinitely harder mechanically as well since you can't dodge enemies the way it intended you to - also Torch only isn't even possible because you can't damage Yhorm with it since he's immune to fire damage. you'd have to use Stormruler on him making it also easier

Throwing and Heavy weapons are really good in that game.

correction, you can kill Yhorm torch only, but regardless - its noteworthy that only one person has ever completed NG+7 No Roll No Dodge SL1 in Dark Souls 3 ever. Multiple people have done torch only in that game, but only one challenge runner is even capable of doing the game that way, especially since Cinder took almost 60 hours to complete NG+7 No Roll No Dodge SL1.

no other challenge except for further modifications of no dodge shit comes close in terms of the raw challenge

I don't even have 70 hours across all three Dark Souls. Damn that's one dedicated autist.

thats the worst example, no other boss took nearly that long - some of the bosses aren't even possible on no dodge NG+7 SL1 without pure luck in getting the correct sequence of attacks like on Nameless King - his shock wave attack can happen at any time and instantly kill you because you can't dodge it without rolling at a close enough range. Or on Gravetender where its not possible to dodge certain attacks or combinations of attacks because you can't kill the NPC in time before the wolf spawns, without either getting extremely lucky or the wolf getting stuck.

both bosses are easily doable torch only on any difficulty setting because there's no mechanical difficulty or challenge involved in it beyond the boss just taking a bit longer

No quicksaves or aby saves im Doom, Expect for one save every level. I tried to do the same with Thief but gave up after realizing that I'm terrible at stealth.

BLACKLEAF, NO!

Usually permadeath or variations of it that involve coin flips. I used to make a txt in the game folder with challenges Ive found balanced for it.

If given race/class selections I usually use a number generator to pick randomly.

In classic FPS like doom I try to ironman the whole episode

Usually I just ban myself from saving/loading mid-map and only save at map start.

I would like to try again baldurs gate with a save-on-rest only challenge.

Hardest I've done was a no-summon run in Brigandine. Usually the game is too easy once you know what you're doing (at the very least you're basically cheating if you ever use time-out retreats), but it really flips the challenge - all your monsters become super important to keep alive instead of being disposable. Only problem with it is that you still snowball in the late game.

I've heard people claim they did entirely no-monster, knight-only runs, but it seems hard to believe.

Only use gravity gun and crowbar

I tried to do a blaster run in Knights of the Old Republic but I'm pretty sure it's impossible.

So what happens if 47 kills the cleaners?

I guess they'd send more. From Contracts onwards we've seen 47 get ambushed with varying degrees of success so it's not like another agency spook couldn't take him

I sometimes play full-murder runs in Hitman, where I choose a weapon and murder every person you can with that weapon. I have Blood Money so
etc
I tried disposing of every body in the garbage truck but someone one or two bodies always get found. Not sure how.

British people are insufferable cunts. Only British person I like is ARE NIGE

Playing the game without killing myself in real life.

I killed every single person in the New Orleans level of Hitman Blood Money, took me a while but it was pretty fun. I used to have a screencap of the newspaper once you finish the level, if I remember correctly I killed about 300 people.

Metro 2033 without using a single bullet that isn't reusable (so hellsing and throwing knife only) have fun in D6, in LL and redux it's shit though because of levels like chase

Ghost and no non reusable items (unless absolutely necessary) in stealth games works well, a bit too hard in some but Thief and MotN do well with it, pure ghost (no guard interaction, no items at all and no environment interaction) is generally too hard to be really fun but if you're feeling it why not.

Okami using the godhood meter as a lifebar, doesn't look like it but it makes the game a whole lot harder, even if you still use items which you shouldn't

SMT3: Nocturne, can't use bosses on your team or even fuse them at all only really works if you don't bitch out and grind like a madman but still

Ace Combat, Gun + UGB/NPB/FAEB/SOD only, in the shittiest pane of the game for extra challenge

Most of the challenge categories in Super Metroid speedruns,(RBO, either of the non glitched Low% etc)

Knife/Melee only in most Resident Evil

Gran Turismo 1-4, only use prize cars unless there's isn't any valid prize car to run in a specific race, don't repeat races and don't buy parts, 200 A-spec points challenge for 4 is way too autistic but if you feel like headbutting a wall for hours on end be my guest.

Crash Bandicoot 3, all dev times in time attack No PAL version allowed, one life clear is also neat but very punishing.

In Jedi Academy I get force grip first and spare every person who drops their weapon when I choke them

I like to play Monhun and limit myself to one class of weapon. It's a great way to git gud, and it really shows how capable some of them are. Gunlance was really hard at first, but it makes a lot more sense now that I've forced myself to use it.
In Fallout NV I never touch VATS. I play the game like a regular FPS. It makes more sense to me that way. I also disable the compass, and the rest of the HUD. Now I actually have to use landmarks to make my way around places, and Dead Money is actually interesting.

Topless Valkyrie assertion in Nethack.

Pokemon Stadium Blindfolded

No stat gain, Final Fantasy VI

Chicken suit map? Jesus fuck youre a psycho

I thought the mindless crowd people didnt count towards kills, were there really that many NPCs?

That's bullshit. The highest number of kills you can get is on the boat level in pretty sure. Also the New Orleans level doesn't have that many NPCs

Kek. Goodbye, Marcy. Can I have your stuff when you go? As for challenging myself?

I play Aliens: Colonial Marines.

MAH NIGGA, do you frequent the Holla Forums Monhun discord?

Playing this without buy the better armor is kinda hard

You got an invite for that?

I remember when I did armorless runs in GC and UYA. New Game isn't too bad, New Game + though everything will start killing you immediately pretty early on. Pretty fun runs overall I would say.

I like to play Fallout games without using power armors or energy weapons.

In mountain blade I've tried using only troops from one faction for a playthrough. Shit sucked ass.

discord.gg/36me2

I tried that on the boat level, only I also tried to dump every single body into the river afterwards. I think I gave up halfway through.

But that's how it's meant to be played. Rhodoks are #1.

I tried playing spyro 2 and only collect red gems. Game needs a proper modding community.

LL has good memories for me though. The non-lethal take down animation back on the xbox 360 had some weird qualities to it and I remember going through the game even going loud sometimes and just punching them all to the ground. Shit took a metric fuck ton of retries.

Played TWEWY using nothing but the starter pins and no clothes unless otherwise forced to, like with the Red Skull and squirrel pins

Swadians are weak.

They're never fun or entertaining

I feel only rage

Even Nigel is a weak beta, there are no good brits

Keeping AI friendlies alive.

I bet you think slavs aren't subhuman filth as well.

Made a solo-arisen run on DD:DA as a Warrior only from as soon as possible (namely, solo from the encampment and beyond, and then warrior on Gran Soren).
Needless to say, I've grown a pretty deep hatred for anything that flies, Gryphons and Harpies specially.
Also made a few different runs on Freelancer, playing only as select classes for the entirety of the game. (Playing as freighter only was probably a fucking nightmare, there are very few and they're far in between by the story, they also favor a playstyle I absolutely despise).

Skyrim is made into a far less shitty game without becoming the Dragonborn.
That way dragons don't show up and you don't have dragon shouts.
Randomly spawning dragons is just an annoyance that can lead to NPC deaths.

I actually had to make the guide for Death to Spies.
That was fucking annoying, but I went a bit further and did at least a level with no kills.

Aside from that, I think the most autistic thing I've ever done was become the only man to bother seriously playing Mission Impossible for the GBC, which I can safely say is a shit game outside of the amazing soundtrack.

Also vid related, I did this.

I beat the entire first five days of Postal 2 without killing anyone. I also attempted to not train dogs and not use health pipes.

I also typically don't use healing items in most games I play. I'm currently fighting Dracula in Order of Ecclesia without using the fusion glyph thing and it's my first time through.

I'm trying Raptor right now starting on Elite difficulty, no cheating to grind money, no turret weapons, and with the silly stage gimmicks enabled (on the episode select screen, press the switch to black, then the 3 buttons). A no phase shield run might be interesting to try some time, but it'd be brutal. Has anyone done such a run online?

It's rare to find even a 100% clear run.

I enjoyed doing a no medkit run of F.E.A.R. The game's too easy normally, so having to economize on health makes it more interesting.

That's just wrong.

I go through Bakura mind tricking everyone and only killing the officers with security keys. I do wish you could steal the keys or force the officers to open doors for you, but it's still a fun challenge. It's also quite funny to imagine the entire Imperial occupying force having their bombs defused without ever knowing what happened.

You can go through that whole level without getting fired at once if you're very careful.

Jon is that you?

Protip: Barring the autosaves that have become default in non-purist source ports, Doom is actually designed to have you restart the level with only a pistol on death. Your self-imposed challenge wasn't even the way the game was designed to be normally played, user…!

When I want to challenge myself I try to play without cheats at a game that I normally need cheats for.

I always fail. I can't play those games without cheating.

Then, for super-hard mode, I play games for which cheats don't even exist. And I don't use a third-party utility to hack my RAM.

Meh.

Honestly, I kind of suck at gaming. It's so bad that sometimes I feel the need to leave my room and go outside.

1% run in Metroid Fusion. Ridley and Nightmare were a pain in the ass yet I somehow managed back then.