Prices of video games and jewing of the consumers

Anyone else thinks that our hobby is a tad bit expensive?

Don't get me wrong, I have a few hobbies more aside from gaming, I'm a biker owning 2 motorbikes, I have a fairly large collection of firearms and my backyard gym wasn't really that cheap to build, but…

Anyone else feels like the prices of games are completely inflated for no reason at all? Doesn't it make more sense to sell video games as a commodity and have a better return on investment through volume of sales? I mean, it's kinda stupid jewing out people out of $60 for a video game that I can pirate and see how much of a shit it is and then ignore it, rather than pricing at $20 or lower so that people don't have to pirate it or feel buyer's remorse when it goes full BioWare in the middle of a playthrough.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/4uZJu
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Video games were always expensive

I understand that, cartridges were expensive, but why are they expensive now with digital distribution and hyper production of titles?

I shake my head at dlc but also realize that the games we're paying for have far more expensive production values than old and we're still paying the same 60 dollar price. Inflation wise it should be 70-100 dollars

No. If anything they got cheaper. N64 carts could be like $80. With inflation, $50 now is not the same as $50 for a NES cart back in the late 80s. Consoles, with the exception of the PS3 which was crazy high for when it released, were also way more expensive. A Saturn was $500, a PSX launched for $300, I think the 3DO was something crazy like $600, the NeoGeo AES was $650 at launch. Now you get 3D worlds with more to do sometimes, non-ear rape music at worst, and stories to engage in if you so choose.

Personally, I don't understand even buying a game at a cheaper price if the game is shit. You paid $20 for a turd instead of $60 for a turd. That $20 could have gone to an actual good game. Conversely, there are several games that I'd buy full price because they're fun and had a lot of work put into them, like KoFXIV and Gravity Rusg 2.

they're less expensive now then when I was a kid buying nes and snes games.
why does the online psn store have no tax in canada? does it have tax in the us?

They're cheaper than they've ever been you fucking kid.

Why the fuck do you feel the need to buy day 1. If you believe the game is not worthy, ignore it until it has the price it deserves. If you can't handle the hype you are just a sheep.

reduces production costs

increases the frequency of cycles "shovel shit in - receive profit"

not a single one of them relates to decreasing price for customers, only satiates greed better
it's a business, remember
you look for quality, sometimes very personal tastes, they look for profit and profit only, praising "good quality/customer-friendly" ain't buy them mansion/skyscraper/yacht, only lure more customers

/sorry for bad english and lecture about 'water is wet and fire is hot'

Depends on the state.

Maybe they shouldn't hire a fucking thousand people to make a fucking game then. Christ it's easier than ever to make games now and they hire 10000% more staff than they had back in the day when only people with a lot of money could make games because of how hard it was to distribute.

not when you take into account gameplay length

Price isn't the problem, quality is.

Small teams produce faster anyways. It's easier to manage production when everyone is in one room as opposed to an entire building.

This guy gets it. QA teams get shit on all the time and ignored by the developers. There was a No More Heroes let's play by a guy who did QA for it and he said that out of the hundreds of bugs and problems he reported for the game. The only one that got addressed and fixed was a typo in the subtitles.
This is the state of modern QA. QA testers make laundry lists of problems and then no one listens to them. I wouldn't be surprised if studios hire QA teams just so that no one complains that they don't have one.

So if bethesda listened to their QA team then their games wouldn't be a bloody mess?

Their QA team consists of two people, they have more than one problem here.

Pretty much this. That and video games are in the hollywood limbo and have been for awhile. Thanks suits and corporations. You got what you want.

video games are cheaper. so they made dlc to make up for it.

John Romero was quoted saying that Doom cost more than current games cost, and that's it's been pretty much the same as inflation occurred.

This was a problem back then, too:
You were promised a great game worth $60, then given a shitty game that wasn't filled with much.
All you kids seem to think that everything before the new millennium was amazing, but most of you were too young to recall, or seem to forget, the times on the S/NES and DOS when everything was just a fucking carbon copy with 3 sprites changed, and only a few genuinely good games came out each year, just like now.

Market will crash soon, and AA studios like THQ will save us.

Because the cartridge era solidified the price point of a video game at the price points we see today. Yes, video games could easily be cheaper by tens of dollars but that isn't going to happen because publishers see that people are willing to pay the current price for video games.

yes, and my brother works for Nintendo

Because video games are toys and marketed at children. Most genres that we enjoyed as kids are now dead, so adults who still play games are either playing old games or niche games that resemble old games. We are also playing a lot less. Like with any kind of toy, modern video games are shoddy, half-assed things that rely on heavy marketing.

yeah about that

Dunno what you're talking about. I already had a PC, and I get all my games for free.

Considering that I can buy a postage-stamp-sized piece of engineering that could easily be called the culmination of 50,000 years of human evolution, that would have exceeded the computing power of the entire world half a century ago, for the cost of a nice dinner, is fucking unbelievable. If anything, I find this hobby rather cheap.

Not quite, switch games for example seems to have gone down to 50 bucks retail like it was on the gamecube, and many ps4 games are around 29.99, see the LRG shit for example.

Yeah, about that

Psh, casual. I bet you think filters are good too.

Not when you are rolling on the high seas and plundering

If AAA titles could stop making us pay out the ass for copyrighted shitty corporate music made in hollywood and instead put that money in hiring real coders who would make the gameplay not suck I'd gladly pay 60$ for a game that would last me at least 100 hours. Otherwise, they can just go fuck themselves.

Frugality is the mark of a Jew.

Playing games on a console is practically the dictionary-definition of "casual", user.

It is just as bad to freely waste your money on overpriced games.

This, as much as i like retro videogames, unless you like surprises, buying games was a blind trade back then, there was almost no way to tell if a game would be shit without buying a magazine issue or not missing a tv show, video game magazines were nice, but with internet you save up more money, and there still are a few video game magazines around on the internet.
And thanks to emulation we can still go back and play all the great games from the past. Until kikes manage to make old games impossible to play for free.
I say the best era for getting vidya was somewhere around 2005-2008, piracy was getting bigger, there were many demos and no digital DRM monopoly you couldn't easily avoid while still giving the devs money.

according to who? Console games largely require more skill than PC games, who at best, you can say their skill comes from how well you are at reading spread sheets in the more intense games.

I'll continue to plunder, thank you very much.

Won't happen, I already have a backup plan if they try.

Chose one

Won't happen, I already have a backup plan if they try.

I haven't really bother with current gen games all that much, but every time i see AAA shit in stores it's pretty heavily discounted pretty heavily.

Not that it is bad.

They're only overpriced to you because you don't like games.

See

Again

This is a bait?

This has got to be bait.

Nice strawman but I'll bite. So I should pay whatever the seller wants because that means I love the game? Especially in places like Australia, I should pay $100+ for a game because paying more money means I automatically love something more? Who cares about how much I even play the game right?

If spending money is what makes you happy, then do so. But I rather hold onto my cash and get as many games as I want.

I download everything, so it's qiuet cheap and has been for a decade+. What type of faggot would pay for a game?

A faggot who likes to support developers and encourage them to make more of something he likes.
Me.

Which is fine and dandy until all your favorite devs start going down Shit Creek too.
RIP Paradox.

Well, that happened once or twice, I just didn't buy their new games.
Most of my favourite devs remain based through their history. Most of them had slip ups there and there, but then redeemed themselves.

It's because gamers are fucking retards, every other hobby and interest typically has consumer feedback that demands correction. How many of dumb fucks have ever written to a company that you're dissatisfied with their product and ask what you're expecting, I guarantee none of you whatsoever. That's why gaming companies don't give a fuck about QA and don't know what you want in a game. B-b-but I posted on 8ch/v/, why don't you also email the developers too dipshit

What did she mean by this?

Have you looked at any official game forum?
They are filled with lickspittles who will defend the devs to the death EVERY TIME.

In fact, games are the only industry where the fucking customers help fix broken products for free via modding.

Forums =/= devs

Literally write an email to the developers telling about your dissatisfaction and how you're not inclined to buy any products that follow this trend

use these boards as a means of organizing such things, now you have a game developing company afraid of losing thousands and maybe hundreds of thousands if we're talking about halfchan Holla Forums in loss of sales

An incredibly poor mode of communication, to the point that it serves almost no purpose. Negative opinions tend to be moderated out of existence, leaving only a self-reinforcing echo chamber that gets more insular over time.

There are reasons people hate fanboys, plebbit, and kikestarter in general. Reason why most people on Holla Forums want blizzdrones, and any kind of fanboys to drown in fire and brimstone for an eternity or two. They are rubbish in human form and are detrimental to development of anything good through blind obedience and sycophancy.

There's some serious money to be made there.
archive.is/4uZJu

I wanna fuck that fox.

Yeah because it's a singular person, try that enmasse and see what happens

I think video games are one of the cheapest fucking hobbies around. Although the monetisation of in-game content via DLC, season passes etc is cancer. They should stick to merchandise if they need to supplement profits. Or just become more resource/time efficient at making vidya.

No. For a casual, yeah.

If you pirate your vidya its a steal really

Does it really matter what they start at? They're going to drop to $30 with in a few months. Cheaper used. Cheaper pirated. Hype is never worth $60 day one.

this was due to the medium being new, new technology being used and invented.

Nintendo was also a monopoly on gaming at the time.

the problem here is no one actually SPENDS money on it, most of these bets are skins not money.

Video games are actually very under priced right now compered to original prices and the cost to produce them.

no, They are overpriced. especially on PC. the cost of CD's are supposed to not be factored in but people pay for it anyways. a PC game should cost around 40-30$ but they make it 59.99 because of consoles. They can price it high because they can.

To be fair, ONE video game is very expensive to produce. But producing more than one of that one, whether it be two or two million copies, is basically completely free. If a game cost a million bucks to produce, and they sell a million copies, that means each copy only cost $1 to produce.

As AAA vidya development becomes more and more expensive, devs are increasingly less inclined to take risks and innovate, instead preferring to release endless sequels.

Nobody made any promises that $60 was temporary.

No, being stingy is for jews. Being frugal is for reasonable people in general.

No, they are still underpriced for most developers.
Triple A is ofc it's own story. As they work very hard to find the ideal price to maximize profits

Even a indie game quickly costs just $300,000-600,000 in production hours With a minimum team (You also need marketing, network building, expo visits, etc.)
This means that you need to make in that same amount to keep going and pref more.

Steam takes 25-30% of the cut. Meaning you would have to make in atleast $520000+ taxes and fees. Just to break even meaning at a retail price of $30 you need to sell over 17000 copies, which most games today doesn't reach

Since manufacturing and shipment costs have gone down, publishers are no longer needed for creating hardcopies, but this also means that you don't have to hand over your ip or give a large cut (30-50%) of the profits to them. Which in one way has given developers the possibility to keep prices down.

Video games were a mistake.