SEGA GENESIS

HELLO, THIS IS SEGA GENESIS THREAD

Post good Sega Genesis vidya!

Other urls found in this thread:

emuparadise.me/Sega_Master_System_ROMs/Phantasy_Star_(Japan)_[En_by_SMS_Power_v1.02]/89145
romhacking.net/?page=translations&platform=11&languageid=12&perpage=20&dir=1&order=Date
mega.nz/#!P0llyBQT!65rs2oN_UswoXYUqsLi2d3gv2RVX7gcRWm184MSZ-_k
segaretro.org/Comparison_of_Sega_Mega_Drive_emulators
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Columns 3 and Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine are amazing couch games. They're easy to pick up and great for competitions. Especially Columns 3 and it's whole gimmick of fucking over the enemy as hard as you can.

Had both as a kid. Remember never getting how they work, kek.

Sega Genesis is the superior console after all.

My favorite Genny game, better than Sonic

wew

GENESIS SHADOWRUN IS BEST SHADOWRUN

pick one

Low effort bait, sad!.

Genesis version of Rusty Ruin zone is something stuck in my head forever

r8 my lineup Holla Forums

Too much intelligence on that troll

bretty good

decided to try Phantasy Star after playing a bunch of PSO2. first game is locking up now so jumped ot 2 and well

I had a giggle

Phantasy Star for the SMS? You are playing the re-translation, right?

I always thought they just beat the shit out of him…

That was just localization at work, he is kill.

You should try Puyo Puyo Tsu, it's probably the best puzzle game on the Genesis.

couldn't find it. But I got Odin after bumming around a bit too hard and over leveling. And then the game froze. I tried rebooting but the game hung on the title screen

it's funny, because I play the computer on Hardest, and then I tried playing Puyo VS online.

Turns out the faggots who play that don't use nearly as many colors as are in Hardest, and they play with bullshit rules too

old cartridges really are shit aren't they

emuparadise.me/Sega_Master_System_ROMs/Phantasy_Star_(Japan)_[En_by_SMS_Power_v1.02]/89145

One of the rare times a westernized game was better than the jp original.

well I emulated it I should look into buying a SMS

I do actually have a genesis. I'm looking at all the carts I have, I'm actually misisng one that my parents lost

Missing my NHL 96 cart and my Sonic 2 cart was damaged when my parents took my consoles back when I was a teenager. the game still works, but a massive chunk of plastic is missing from the cart itself and it tore the sticker.

Still love my Genesis, shame my GB pocket died. I still remember booting it up and hearing the *Ba-ding* after the logo floated down

No regrets, but i do want to buy an Everdrive MD.

The fuck?

Why is it that nearly every multiplat sounded better on the genny?

Because it had a built-in synthesizer?

THE definitive list of co-op/multiplayer Genesis games.

Golden Axe 3
Streets of Rage 2
Intense Martial Transition
Sunset Fighters
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Soldiers of Fortune
Biohazard Battle
Air Busters
Gunstar Heroes
Contra Hard Corps
Puyo Pop 2
Pac-Attack
Snow Bros.
Wani World
OutRunners
Quad Challenge
Dodge Danpei
ACME All-Stars
Mega Bomberman
Pepen ga Pengo

Honestly, aside from Sonic the only games that really stand out in my memory are Phantasy Star and After Burner. After Burner was fucking awesome, god I loved that game.

It's more complex than Puyo Puyo, but once everyone get the hang of it it's amazing for multiplayer. Since you choose when you want to attack your opponent, you end up with mindgames where you have to time your attacks as it becomes inconvenient for them.

how much does it cost to own a copy of Tetris for the genesis?

I'd be very surprised if that was a true generalization. Getting good music out of FM Synth requires you to target it specially.

The worst thing is that the genesis lineup is 1/3 sports games. Now this system did them well. But the fact remains that on replay, some of these are filler. I do love this system though. I just beat trampoline terror.

What a fantastic game.

Why would i lie? FM synths beat shitty samples any day unless you have a lot of storage like the Amiga did.

also:
Landstalker
the Strike series
Gleylancer
Contra Hard Corps
Castle of Illusion
Flashback
Zombies At My Neighbors

PS the correct name is Mega Drive

Genesis Jim > SNES Jim

You can say the exact same thing about the SNES, PS1, PS2, etc. you dumb nigger.

also

Niggers, all of you

The white kid looks exactly like the black before him, did he had a coat of paint or something

I'd just be surprised if many multiplats really tried with the music, which you have to do with the Genesis or it sounds like ear rape, SNES is more consistent. Check Doom or Batman Forever for example which have decent SNES soundtracks but atrocious Genesis ones.

Obviously when Genesis music is good, it's good.

The Genesis had that characteristic Genesis sound. Much like the C64's SID chip, if you knew what you were doing, you could make that thing sing.

666 is to satan
777 is to god
888 is to god emperor

Contra Hard Cocks?
Eurocucks get out.

More like it's actual name

It's weird we lost out on that name here in Amerca because there was another company called that at the time (and they died out)

Still I like the JP design for the Genesis, it looks amazing, not knocking the Genesis. But the Megadrive looks more flashy

Any good translations come out for the Mega Drive recently? I know of MWIV, but outside that, anything else worth picking up?

romhacking.net/?page=translations&platform=11&languageid=12&perpage=20&dir=1&order=Date

Vixen 357 seems nice if you like mecha SRPGs

If dubs Trump orders SEGA to make the Genesis 2

Checked. Someone contact Aaron Webber

I have no idea how you are supposed to play Columns effectively. I always end up with so many useless blocks on my base.
Puyo Puyo I can kind of get the hang of for proper chaining but I don't understand Columns at all.

SO IT SHALL BE

I learned from playing the original Columns, which doesn't have a vs mode. You might want to try that first. The trick is to do pic related a lot.
Columns 3 is just playing Columns as fast as you can, and building up combos. There's a score counter that goes up to 30, and when you press A for every 10 points you have the enemy's side shifts up and your side shifts down. The idea being that as long as both players are equally fast they'll be mostly balanced. Doing this also breaks the gems that were going down on their side, so if you see them about to do a combo you can break it.

FM Synth was actually quite commonly used in arcades. Even the Saturn had a chip that was good at it. The SNES being PCM only was an oddity at the time, most SPUs would mix FM and PCM together.

respectable taste. Have you tried the fan translation for the japanese version? Turns out there was a storyline that got cut

Bless this thread and God save Sega

the file size limitations for SNES games also resulted in pretty much all of the music sounding like the lowest distinguishable bitrate, making it seem like it was all coming from a tin can. With flash carts games have been modded to load their pcm files from new sample sets and they do sound very impressive, despite the file size being in the hundred-times-larger range compared to what it was for each modified rom.

Nintendo made a really bad choice with PCM for a system like that.

Anyway, stock genesis hardware is capable of some amazing things. Kinda puts mode7 to shame. I would love to read how this perspective shifting scaling was rendered. It seems incredibly detailed despite showing some issues. I imagine it processes it in a sort of chunk method, which shows its shortcomings when approaching a wall-like structure, it comes in with very jarring shifts in frames as opposed to scaling naturally. I wonder what sort of blend of programming and art was used to achieve results like this.

Fun game too, with great music!

Just being in the presence of Trump made him white.

How is LaShiec right? That's just the limitation of Japanese. Anything SI is pronounced with shi. Could have translated it RaShiec while they were at it. Damn weebs think they know it all.

It's like you're all gay or something.

I loved this multi-game cartridge

I absolutely love when genesis games try to imitate real instruments

It's not like the official translation is any better, or even readable.

Shit, that looks great. Thanks user.

megadrive chart when?

That's a reddit tier meme that kills any possible discussion of a console.

It's no wonder the Mega Drive is coming back this year, who'd have thought it'd be the BRs with Sega that brought them back into the console market.

When you start by calling it by the real name. :^)

The sound capabilities of the Mega Drive are vastly underappreciated. inb4 people spamming "all your base"

Fuck that shit, just like the "NES Mini" this is another attempt to steal more money from clueless consumers and hipsters. Most of the people won't even play the fucking games, they will just buy the thing because it looks cool sitting on a shelf. I can't wait to read the clickbait articles by shitty gaming sites with such titles as "Let's face it, Genesis games are dated and we only enjoy them because of nostalgia" probably written by a hipster faggot who never touched the console when it came out because he was still shitting his diapers.
Shame on any of you that want such things as "console re-releases" during the current days of hipsterism.

user, you are the hipster. Get fucked with your scare quotes too.
See, the NES mini was just something that looked like the NES, with some roms loaded onto it. The tectoy mega drive is the old mega drive's hardware, with an SD card slot patched in.

Isn't it that it isn't the actual hardware, but an emulation or 'as close as can get to it' type? I'd love one just for the hell of it. Why do the hues always release the weirder shit, like GG to SMS ports.

Nigger, i've had several Tec Toy products and they are all of inferior quality compared to the originals. I'm not overreacting, i'm just tired of this thievery and shallow consumer culture that surrounds vidya.

Fucking namefags.

Did you just fucking screencap leekyforums nigger?

you realize that website you screencapped is a forum scraper right? It's a spam sight that just pulls posts from 4chan and Holla Forums in order to appear legitimate.

So, it's same as chinese shit you can buy on Ali?

the more likely scenario is that this guy posted both lists, both of them here. The forum scraper has the one pictured from 4 months ago which is probably when the same dude posted the list in a previous Sega Genesis thread.

No shit.

so what's your point then? Are you pretending to be retarded?

It is the severe internet here.

I was trying to figure out what 'Intense Martial Transition' was supposed to fucking be.

What?

MEME IT

It's the only proper Holla Forums archive working right now.

I didn't even think about using it for that.
Also 8archive is back although in testing stage.

leekyforums is fucking dead, Holla is where it's at.

He technically wasn't a corpse yet. He was about to die though so the wounds must have been pretty severe.

Yeah, he says his last words during that cutscene before kicking it.

Fuck yeah

I only played the fan translated ps2 versions. PS Gen 1's new gimmick makes the game really easy while PS Gen 2's gimmick makes it even more tedious than it should be. I can't help but wonder about the way PS Gen 4 would have been if they hadn't pulled the plug on the sega ages remakes.

What is the Higan/BSnes of Sega? I mean a good/accurate emulator? Gens or Kega?

you mean genesis 4, right?

I have that one, the sound is kind of fucked.

Picodrive nignog

no.

Kega hasn't been developed in a long time, get gens plus gx. The good news with the genesis is that for whatever reason games don't really care about proper emulation, any of the latest versions of the most popular emulators should be able to run all of the genesis library.

Does Gen Plus GX even support 32X?

Do I need retroarch/mednafen/bizhawk for Gens Plus? Id rather not use those, for some autistict reason I don´t like them

Whats the latest Picodrive version? I downloaded it but it seems old as fuck I can´t even set up my gamepad

I use the Retroarch core

On the contrary. I've found the charts actually foster game discussion, you've got the Dreamcast and OG Xbox threads as proof of that.

NIGGER

Exodus was trying, but apparently that's utter shit.

I use MAME to play Mega Drive games, it just werks

NINTENDRONES ETERNALLY STUMPED'

Does Mr. President enjoy going fast Holla Forums?

I've still got it as a text list currently while I've been gathering high quality cover art and trying to work out stuff for formatting and color. Considering how Sega didn't seem able to just stick with one standardized style for the banner, or even cover formatting (some have the banner on the side, some opt for an icon across the top, and some don't even bother; out of region games at least have a valid excuse), it's going to take some planning to try to keep it from looking like too much of a clusterfuck. Also hadn't seen much in the way of Genesis/Mega Drive threads for a while, so it's been on the backburner.

I'll post an organized set of roms and you can mutilate it for a chart.

mega.nz/#!P0llyBQT!65rs2oN_UswoXYUqsLi2d3gv2RVX7gcRWm184MSZ-_k

Will probably have horrible sound like most clones of the Gen/MD

It's still one of the best and emulates every console Sega game before the Saturn.
Also, see this link:
segaretro.org/Comparison_of_Sega_Mega_Drive_emulators

Here's what's currently on the roster for it so far. Games listed are ones anons have suggested in past threads. Feel free to help further refine it.

You can stop making it, your charts kill discussion.

The Xbox one works chiefly as a means to shut up retards who think the OG xbox was a Halo machine. When it comes to consoles with varied libraries like the SNES, it mostly kills discussion, not to mention it's usually filled with shit games. The SNES one still has ass ports like Brandish and SNK games on it

Yeah thats one of my gripes with the charts quite frankly. I think they still shouldn't be removed since they are good games, however, an asterisk or something should be used to denote that it is not the best version. Its what I asked chart-user to do with Rayman 2 on the PS1 which is absolutely horrendous. \

I don't think I've encountered a chart so far that has an objectively shit game. Sure, they have games I might not enjoy, but I can still see why they're good games. You shouldn't take the chart as a "GAMES YOU MUST OWN FOR THE SYSTEM" rather as a suggestion of games you might enjoy and are overall well made.

Rayman 2 on the PS1 is still better than the DS version and has a pretty nice soundtrack. I still don't understand why they gutted the stages.

Yes they should be removed, especially the SNK games like SamSho or Fatal Fury or World Heroes which play like shit on non Neo Geo systems pre-PS1. There's no reason to include them, especially if you're emulating games where MAME can play the arcade originals fine.

Brandish is also a censored shit port, its far better played on PC98 or even the PSP remake.

Those ports are objectively shit.

Also

That just proves my point. If a game is actively horrendous as you say, it has no business being on a chart. If we wanted relative bullshit about the ports of certain games, we shouldn't have them on charts that are posted primarily to shut people up on "what X games to play for Y system?"

But it's not horrendous as he said, it's just mediocre compared to the Dreamcast and N64 versions.

Just because they're shit ports that doesn't mean its a bad game. You can have bad ports of good games. Rayman 2 is a good game, the problem is that its on so many different platforms that it would be dumb to have it only on one chart. I think the asterisk explaining the best platform to play it on would be apt. Same thing could be said about the SNK games on the chart, a brief explanation at the bottom explaining they're best enjoyed with MAME.

I mean the DS version is so barebones I wouldn't even call it Rayman 2. Thats like saying the GBA version is even the same game (its not, its a side-scrolling platformer). I guess they gutted the stages, lums and music due to space constraints. Surprising they could the game better on the N64 tho…

Chances are if you can emulate a system you can probably emulate the other systems of the same gen that probably have the best version of the game. Even including games on a console chart that aren't the best version of the games is just pure retardation.
Something i'll never understand though is when people go triple nigger and emulate a game with a PC port.

They're bad ports and as a result a bad port means a shit game not worth your time.

There's a better way to do that: Leaving them off the fucking chart. The end result is a chart free of clutter and no more whinging over what's good and what isn't. I don't think you know unplayably shit a lot of those arcade/PC to console ports are.

In fairness a lot of console to PC ports prior to the late 2000s did not take advantage of the PC and were usually missing features, such as MGS1 on PC. A lot of them are a pain in the ass to install and run.

>Tfw almost millenial
We aren't totally a lost cause although I may be biased since I started on the coleco

I've been meaning to play the Mega Drive version of Starflight which is supposed to be a pretty good game in the vein of Star Control

How do I git gud at Zool?

Oh shit Zool is GOAT. The Amiga version has better music though.

I got this bad boy today, cost me only 14€. Fuck you ebay and your greedy ass jew sellers. Thank god for the chinese bootleggers.