Saturday Night Horror Thread

Time to get spooky, bitches

>And why the fuck is there still no Rule 34 for DreadOut?!

Nothing, bitch.

this

Wow, rude!

With the current status of the game industry, I can't blame you

Nothing because I have enough stuff I don't play and there isn't anything new I feel like buying.
Fuck it, I'm already going to be stuck at work longer than I planned. I'll leave it up to you all. Replay RE4 Wii edition, or start Silent Hill Shattered Memory. Going to dust my wii off.

Maybe RE 7

Rule Of Rose

Not a fan of RE, but I hope for a new hope

Yes

Hope Konami sells Silent Hill

These multiplayer horror games give me hope. Friday the 13th and Last Year. Hell, even Dead by Daylight is better than the shit we are receiving these years.
But I wanted good horror singleplayer games too.

So I saw this on steam, anyone tried it ?

The Resident Evil 7 Demo
Not bad, actually has some promise and I like the concept.
But Capcom is going to find a way to fuck it up as usual.

I wouldn't get my hopes up. I got Miasmata after reading glowing reviews, but it really wasn't my cup of tea.

Nothing
RE2, shits breddy gud. There's also the DLC for Evil Within but I genuinely dont understand why people love it, the base game is great if flawed but this is just eh. Thinking of also trying RE0 to see how that is
Could be good, I loved the demo.
I ain't that horribly interested in it since I only got 3 hours into Outlast 1 and was bored.
Pachinko only.
Shitty jumpscare sims like FNAF, for some reason that shit still isn't dead.
NEVER EVER

Didn't they recently realize a new law that effectively makes gambling legal in Japan? I think this could be a deathblow to pachinko parlors (and hence Konami).

I heard of that law passing, though I doubt that'll stop Konami.

I hope it hurts them at any rate. Pachinko parlors primarily blossom because they are gambling sites in all but name.

I mean skinwalker, sure. Out innawoods where most sane people don't go anyway, and then you usually just have to hear their voice to know they're not human. But how can you distinguish between one of the thousands of malnourished, pale-faced office clerks and some demonic entity that wants to talk an insurance onto you?

Nothing
Pathologic HD

Miasmata is great for atmosphere, but I didn't find the monster too scary from the amount I was able to play on my brothers PC. Great hiking gameplay IMO.

Of the best games for atmosphere next to Stalker.

Are you roommates or do you just have a terrible attention span?
Between the two I'd vote RE4

Is it any good? More importantly, is the translation alright?

Welp, got wrong game (its a 3d title after all). Still got that on my backlog, but alas, so many games, so little time.

What I actually meant was Lone Survivor.

Then again, to the defense of 2d sidescroller horrror games, Knock Knock really makes your skin crawl. The hidden time limit is the only issue I have with that one.

Same IP. Although this is the first time i've seen a phone post the same I'd as a laptop.

The PSX had a lot of obscure titles.

HD has better translation from what I've heard. fixes some glitches and it runs better on modern OS's. New version hasn't come out yet though.

See

Chicago Typewriter time! Thanks.

Japan is an interesting country when it comes to horror in general because it is the only non-western industrial country that has developed really urban legends. I mean, naturally other states such as Indonesia and so forth have their own horror stories (again, there's Dreadout, which still has no fucking R34 ), but only Japan has stuff like the Red Room myth.

At least as far as I know.

I gave Lone Survivor 20 minutes to win me over and dropped it entirely may year ago.
Looks cool from the screenshots, but the gameplay was not engaging.

With you there on Lone Survivor fam.

New translation is excellent, although there are a few scenes I disagree with and preferred the original translation, and I still refer to the characters and locations by their original names

Where did you find that old-ass screenshot of Knock-knock? You know the final version didn't have an inventory

Just copied a pic from the official wiki because I don't have any screenshots of my own.

I wish there was a horrorgame that did poltergeists right. Not some visible spooky-dooky fuckers, but malevolent entities that span across the entire building and will use every moveable part to hurt or at least scare the daylights out of you.

Well okay, no horror game but VtM:B, and that isn't really a horror game since you're a walking nightmare yourself.

It's a fascinating country when it comes to horror. Btw this is the obscurest horror game that i can think off, by sharing it here it loses 30 obscurity points.

How do they have so many urban legends though? Who created them and how do they spread like wildfire?

EA why do you have to ruin good things?

I have a feeling they're gonna bring it back this E3, but it'll be nothing like what people wanted. That or they canceled that because DS3, BF Hardline, and Mirror's Edge 2 bombed.

Memes

What could they even do at this point? Humanity is pretty much done for by the end of 3

oh fuck that means they're going to reboot it

Japanese folklore always had a somewhat macabre touch to it. Then came the post-WW II occupation from Americlaps followed by a rapid cultural and technological revolution, and finally the extremely high populatio density in metropolitan areas like Tokyo.

It's a real interesting clash - on the one hand, you have elements from classical Japanese ghost stories, but on the other, modern western elements like subways or the internet also play their part.

The only comparable thing I can think of is the remote Appalachian region, where Hillbilly folklore mixes various European, Native American, and isolated Christian elements in it.

Embed related is a fairly cool (or at least unique) episodic horror anime, by the by.

EA rapes everything it touches to death. It's like the PR monkeys that make up its executive council demand that their developers do everything to appease the current target group of ten to twelve-year-olds. Including for horror games aimed at an 18+ rating.

If they had made DS3 more like 1, it would have done really well, why don't they get that?
How do so many game makers not get that, if something does well, don't make a sequel something the successful one wasn't
Dead Space you went slow and were spooked and had to be careful with weapon/ammo management
3 was ok but it was faster and more gunning waves of enemies down, which is alright but not when you're trying to be scared

Imho the issue is more that publishers nowaday are run by suit-monkeys whose main experience lies in selling toilet paper and various other goods, but who have no experience whatsoever in video game. Hence, whatever's currently popular and sells the most must be the perfect recipe for the next game, regardless of what said game actually is.

It's like musicians and new albums. If they don't change it, people bitch that they're just cashing in. If they do change it, people bitch that it's not the same anymore and not as good. There's just no winning. If you go the first route and give people more of a good thing, they won't be happy. If you go the second route and try and improve and change the game, they won't be happy.

That actually makes alot of sense, yeah they do just copy what's generally popular and ignore the series own history.

Spooky?

Not really.

Wheres the scare? that webm couldve been 1 min shorter than it needed to be….

Weekly reminder that Scratches is a point and click horror game that's criminally underrated

That's not one of his horror videos dumbass, thats just one of his music clips.

FEAR 2 had some cool bits, sadly the environment isn't so hostile-looking for the most of the game.

Where the Twilight Syndrome games ever translated? Or is there a script for them somewhere? I want to get into Kill the past and all I'm missing are those games. I know Moonlight Syndrome already has a script in eng.

Someone didn't get the entire point of the world of darkness.

I've been wanting to reply resident evil. Is there any reason not to emulate the titles?

Nope. Just emulate.

The gameplay is shit though.

Should I play Evil Within?
What game would you compare it to?

Evil within is the silent hill movies of horror games.

… isnt that Silent Hill Homecoming?

or do you mean its like the first Silent Hill movie, where its actually really good compared to other "horror" movies, but is still nothing compared to actual horror

You know that game setting really makes me think, you see the whole point, to my knowledge, of the Martian Law was to keep the commies away, the commies made some fucked up shit it can't even be compared to what Chiang (the leader of that time) has done, and even if you considered so, you have to acknowledge that he did it because they, the commies, revolted in the first place.

They are ignoring a pretty fucking important question: Why are the things of this setting so bad? And the answer seems to be: for reasons just shut up and pity us

I mean I'm only talking about this because I saw an article talking about the setting like it was a selling point, the author wanted to show how horrible that period of time was for his people. But what's the point of showing how horrible it was, if you don't even care to mention the cause in any point of the game? Or maybe I'm wrong, I didn't play it, but I really doubt he mentions it.

Also, I think authoritarian states would make great material for horror, I really found funny how we don't have some paranoia KGB stuff or trying to escape to the other side of Berlin wall survival.

I got it in the sale and at least the first thirty minutes doesn't make a good impression at all, plus it ran like shit. Tried to get a refund but apparently they introduced a two-week limit at some point so I guess I'll go back and complete it someday since I own it anyway

Are the Penumbra games any good?

I mean it's like the second silent hill movie where everything is overly edgy and shitty and nothing makes any sense in relation to anything else.

kek, I meant martial law, I went full retard on the whole text, but I believe I could get my point across.

Ah so its not scary or creepy in any way at all…

Its sort of like RE4 in terms of gameplay, REmake in terms of atmosphere and sound design, and Silent Hill-ish in terms of story telling and creature design. That doesnt mean its a masterpiece though, its sadly flawed.

I'm looking forward to Friday the 13th. I watched some people playing the beta and it seems like great fun with a couple of friends and maybe some randomers.

Played the beta, can confirm. It's fun without friends. Problem is, most of the time its more fun than scary. But fuck it, its fun as fuck

I can't imagine having much fun with random people unless they talk, which people sadly barely seem to do nowadays.

They do talk, in every game I played at least. We kinda have to.

Without spoiling anything for me, how good is this game?

Watching the RE7 movie, wew, reminder that the protag is a fucking cuck who's trying to save his fucking wife who is with Umbrella.

Been playing the game.
It is a completely new direction for RE, that is for sure.
Not sure how I feel about it though. I'm not a huge fan of the "hide from the monster" horror style.

The Survival Action thing that went to shit with RE5 and RE6 might have turned off people who were looking for surprises and horror, this is logical thing for them to do, even if it is fucking jewtuber twitch bullshit, but at the same time, I can't but scratch my head on how they managed to fuck the franchise's direction to everywhere and nowhere at the same time.