C&C thread: archive.is/uvwvE

Other urls found in this thread:

mentalomega.com/
ageofchivalrymod.wordpress.com/
play0ad.com/media/screenshots/
archive.is/xQb1i
moddb.com/mods/upatch-hd/news/upatch-hd-11-release-4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Command and Conquer is a shit series for playing competitive strategy, but is generally a great place to start for new people to learn how to build a base, collect resources, train an army and manage troops. The side bar is something fairly unique to the series and allows you to manage production no matter where you are without having to deal with hotkeys. RA2 recommended first, Generals not recommended first.
The first Dawn of War series (Winter Assault, Dark Crusade, Soul Storm) is great for any level of playing. Resource gathering is simple and fixed and keeping a fresh supply of troops, as you just keep reinforcing the ones you have. Campaigns vary in the series but are typically quite good.
Warcraft/Starcraft series both feature tutorials and have typically very fun campaigns, with great stories. Honourable mention to original Starcraft and Brood War, for a campaign that challenges you and fully makes you feel like you're ready to play online if you don't cheese it. Warcraft 3 is another excellent starting point for getting into RTS. The hero-centric gameplay and low unit count makes it easy to manage. SC2 isn't something recommended without playing SC1 first.
Age of Empires is like being thrown in the deep end, but has a much larger sense of scale than the other games posted so far. If you like more primitive/bronze age games, play 1. If you are a fan of medieval armies clashing, play 2.
Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance is a somewhat dense game to get into much like Age of Empires. Resource gathering seems simpler, but management tends to be tricky for new players. Also has one of the biggest scales of RTS.

All of these have active communities of casual and competitive players. Most of them are very welcoming, and the best way to learn is to play and watch. Ask for youtuber recommendations per game.

The line between RTS and RTT is usually the ability to build a base, the amount of teching up, variety of units, number of units, rate of collecting and managing resources. RTT games tend to have very simple/basic teching up, no base building, managing a group of 6-10 squads instead of 10+ individual units, usually can only produce one unit at a time.

you can have decent multiplayer games in c&c games. Kane's Wrath is pretty decent and people did some fun shit in previous games too.

There are some good games for competitive RTS in the C&C series though, like C&C3: Kanes Wrath expansion which was decently balanced outside of some cheese strategies with the Scrin or Nod's bike/flametank spam strats. The console port sucked to shit but at least the PC expansions were good outside of some of the levels on the single player campaigns.

Recently however, there's been this one mod that attempts to make RA2 not only have a good Yuri campaign and make extra COOP campaigns to boot, but also balance multiplayer to make everything not be allied tank/rocketeerspam 24/7.
Said mod is called Mental Omega, and it works as a fan-made expansion to YR which means you don't have to inject shit and possibly break your installation of the game. It can be found here: mentalomega.com/

and to that one user whom i played MW with in last thread, sorry for not being able to play MO, hopefully we'll get something going soonish?

Any good musket era rts games ?

Cossacks series. I like American conquest as it allows you to kill huge amounts on injuns with musket fire. Plus the cannons in AC are so good they're pretty much bullshit. Cossacks 2 is Okay

Will try that mod soon. I am playing Red Alert 2 since a few weeks now thanks to cncnet. While it is fun to play it again after all those years I go miss the features I have in kw. I really wish someone would have ported it to their new engine.

You are shit and so are your opinions, stick a fork up your urethra.

bump

Just picked up Lords of Everquest for 5 dollarydoos. Is this game actually any good? So far it seems to largely be an inferior copycat of Warcraft, and the UI was not designed with modern screens in mind, even with the option to play on them. The minimap is tiny. I also don't particularly like any game that has different defences on a per-unit basis. I get armour types, that makes a simple web, but when each individual unit has different strengths and weaknesses it becomes a bit too intricate to remember what should focus what in the middle of battle.

Having played the MO multiplayer a few times now I can confirm it's nothing like RA2/YR gameplay. Tank rushes only seem viable for a couple of factions and games will often revolve around actual engagement strategy, gimmick tech rushes, or stall out into spy wars. There are a couple of things that are really busted right now though. The Soviet jets are fucking nuts, there was one guy who rushed them in half the games I played against him and I couldn't figure out how to deal with them at all. Also Foehn players everywhere, but a lot of them are shit.

I dunno how to feel about the missions. One way the difficulty is kinda cranked up to the max, especially in commando missions where your crucial units might get instakilled by a crowd of dogs or terror drones, but on other hand I gotta admit there's sort of a shortage of actually challenging RTSes nowadays.

Kinda unsurprising, they're a new addition and still fresh, it's kinda like how ASSFAGGOTS or those character-based shooters always have every match featuring a new hero for a while after unveiling.

Playing against Foehn is bizarre as they're basically a StarCraft faction in a C&C game.

Storytime again.

Scariest thing about playing stealth is when your buildings start flashing yellow. That's never good because someone's detected you.

GLA is pure troll really. I know I can't ever win with them but the amount of Schadenfreude produced when using them is why I keep coming back.

Anyone else keeping track of 0 A.D. development progress?

Also during that first game, I schooled my mate on how to play GLA properly. Sending nothing but demo bikes is just childish nonsense. you're supposed to get bigger and bigger explosions.

Demobikes first, then bomb trucks, then mobile nukes/scud storm. Go big or go back to Allah.

I really want to enjoy it but I can't because it's done and it's missing a certain group of people.

i like rtt more than rts

Remember that thread some weeks ago where people were posting pictures of Yuri influencing actual yuri to take place while people chanted MY LIFE FOR YURI?

i've been playing AOE2 singleplayer a bit recently
2v2 on whatever map, or on black forest, i can't do shit
early game the enemy attacks me and leaves me in a state where i can't do shit for at least 10 more minutes
after which both enemies gang up on my ally and he can't handle them, while i'm still trying to rebuild
wat do

Those are a bit before its setting. Their clay is Seleucid clay in the classical era.

You'll see them in an Iron Age or Bronze Age mod.

Have you tried playing the Age of Chivalry mod?

ageofchivalrymod.wordpress.com/

i try not to mess with mods, the game already runs poorly for me at 800+ pop that i'm not running the shitty steam one

Well, just to be clear, this mod doesn't run on the Steam version. It only works with the original retail version.

Steam version actually has a very weak modding scene since it only allows minor and cosmetic changes.

Why are there not a lot of historic rts games? I'm not into space rts or sci fi.

What else is there?

0 A.D. It's unfinished, but it's free and runs on Linux.

play0ad.com/media/screenshots/

Knights of honor(even if only battles)
Stronghold series
Total war series

Also try fantasy ones.
Lord of the rings battle for middle earth.
Kingdom under fire
Battle realms(if you can tolerate gookshit)

Shit, they're still working on it? I was waiting for them to finish it before I bothered with it. Is it good? Great it runs on linux.

Knights of honors battles were incredibly shit, or did I play it wrong?
Stronghold is a really boring castle defense or whatever it's called game
Total war is great

I'll look into those fantasy games, thanks.

Maybe, if Avatar the Last Airbender is gook shit.

No mention of Total Annihilation..
Eat shit

Ok ok.

Battle Realms has incredible unit animations. It's amazing how alive they look in motion even though their models have like 20 triangles at most. Serpent Clan a best.

For the wolf!

Who let the wolfnigger out of his mine?

Any futuristic rtt with anything that isnt troops or contemporary tanks/ships? I only know mechcommander and battlefleet gothic

WHY IS OF PANTHER BE COST 200 FUEL!?!?! WHY1?!1 IS OF NO SO GOOD!
I HEAD OF ANENOUGH OF THIS BE..

I play of UKF game, and I fu cking make firefly! I vet of me firefly vet 3

AND I BE 3 SHOT PANTHER!!!!!!!

WTF!??"!?!?"!?!"?!"?!"?!2?!2/1?"1?

I kill of fu cking 3 panther in this of game with me ONE firefly how is possible i 3 shot of tank that it be cost 200 fuel?!!? Tell of me how is possible?!

Why is of me firefly 309432094230942309 range, has of speed be boost (if you be meake of anvil but who is of no make anvil? Normal of churchil is useless you can be get from comander any of way) and can be 3 shot panther tank1?! HAS OF STUN ROCKETS?!!?!?!?

AND!!!! BEST OF BE ALL

IT COST OF 155 FUEL

WTF?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?
RELIC ARE YOU IS HIGH??????
ARE YOU SMOKE OF NARTOCTIC!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is of panther cost be 200fuel??????????????
What is of better?????

FIREFLY IS +

FAST OF
MANY BE DAMAGE
MUCH OF GREAT RANGE
COST OF 155 FUEL
CAN BE STUN WITH ROCKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FIREFLY -
Is of slow turret rotatoion
No of mg cannot be kill ai (who need of kill ai? ukf is have of alot other way to kill)

PANTHER IS +
Has of very fast + faaaster ability
has of good damage but of not very high
has of mg (which os UF CKING USELESS CANNOT OF KILL ANYTHING)
has of good be turrent rotate.

panther -
WTF IS OF COST? 200 FUEL FOR BE WHAT?
HAS OF SHI T RANGE!

ITS OF MG IS OF UF CKING USELESS. IN ME LAST GAME I JUST OF WATCH ENEMY PANTHER STAND NEXT TO ME MG AND CANNOT OF KILL ME MG FOR 3 MINUTES HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH

NEED OF HQ TO BE ALIVE TO BE MAKE!!?!?!!
KILL OF T3 AND NO OF TANK FOR ENEMY :D

WHY IS OKW UNIT COST OF SO MUCH FUEL WHEN IS OF NO MUCH BETTER THEN BE ALLY?

Ok OKW heavy tank is of GOD! and of panther is also good tank no think i hate of it!
I LOVE OF ME PANTHER.

Is my 2second favourtie of tank.

My first of favourite of tank is firefly becouse ITS GOD OF TANK. It can of kill ALL okw armor except of be kintiger.

But of firefly vs be panther is firefly is of win if it be use of it range.

If player know how be use firefly thaan is be easy win of him becouse firefly is 23043290423094293043902 range. I love of me firefly. Firefly is of better then be comet, ???? of comet. firefly is best of tank :D

But why is of okw panther 200 fuel?

MAKE OF OKW PANTHER 175 FUEL OR BUFF OF MG BECOUSE THIS OF S HI T MG IS OF USELSS 0 DMG

NO POINT OF EVEN MAKE OF UPGRADE OF THIS MG IT MAKE 0000000000000000 DIFERENCE.

The CoH forums has always been comedy gold.

Man the Katanas are underpowered in D20 copypasta truly went to shit.

There's a layer of autism here that if you spread on toast would probably be a good breakfast.

I used to love the wolf, but the lack of damage diversity and a good ranged unit really hinders them. Except the expansion might have fixed that.

Serpent clan is best, but Lotus is pretty close.

Has anybody tried the Halo Wars 2 beta

archive.is/xQb1i
This is what happens when you create a easy to access forum. You bought the game? You are allowed to talk.

Wehraboos never change.

Is there a good RTS to be competitive about. Lately I've been messing with CNCnet.

Any of them with an active community. But I personally recommend Warcraft or Forged Alliance.

Doesn't WC3 have a problem of each race being locked into 1 playstyle?

At the highest levels of play 'sort of'? It's a bit more complex than that. There are the most common and popular strategies because they are most commonly successful, but I've seen plenty of deviations even at the hands of pro players. Try a 3v3. You can't creep as much, so normal picks sometimes get thrown at the window such as Blademaster or Archmage.

I bet you're out of wood, arab scum.

I might check it out then. I always like doing really unorthodox strats people never expect.

I might stick with CNCnet for now since it's free at least. I've been playing with bots to learn the buildings, but I found out very quickly the AI cheats on resources hard.

Trying to git gud at cnc against players who have been playing for years is pretty obnoxious.

Also the meta seems to literally be.
Walls, submarines, and everything else seem to be useless.

Which CNC?
This is mostly true. There are some maps where it can be different, if there is a lot of water or a lot of resources (custom maps). But then you typically only get 1-2 things added in.

I've been playing Red Alert. I think they also have the original and Tiberian Sun. The only game I won so far was one where I scouted out a weakpoint in the enemy base, rushed it with 5 tanks and destroyed his construction yard.

I have a very hard time getting into a match, people always assume I am a smurf and ask for my main. Always get kicked out of lobbies.

Well, I went ahead and did

Can't even play, I get horrible geometry bugs every time I load in a match to the point of unplayability.

Good job microsoft.

What card are you using? I'm on a 480 and had everything maxed and didn't encounter anything like that.

It's a laptop, so 5700hq processor and a gtx 960m

I do to. I probably am going to quit and pick up supreme commander, because the meta looks really shallow.

All expansion units suck with exception of the Dragon Clan who gets some kung fu dude that fixes up their lack of Blunt. Wolf unit is some slash melee with an useless gimmick.

Posted too early

It probably takes 10 minutes to find a match, and then when I do it's laggy as fuck and the only factor that seems to determine who wins or loses is if the other dude could rush out tanks faster than me. The best early rush meta is to get 5 tanks and destroy the enemy construction yard really early in so they're fucked. The only time I've seen other units is on maps with a shitload of water, or 1 particular game that was 1v1v1v1 and everyone just camped on resources all game before ending. Even then, the only other unit besides tanks was one dude who got demolished right after I did built an air field.

Core here. Arm is a bunch of losers.

i'm thinkan of making an AOE2 campaign based on bulgarian history
which of these would be best?
from all of these i'm thinking that i'd get the most possible scenarios out of asparuh/ivailo
also, if i were to do asparuh, should bulgarians start as mongols/huns or just be slavs the entire time?

I think we need a new c&c rts. Kane's Wrath is imo pretty decent, take it and improve it.

I personally love shadow team + spectre tactics. Well, the problem is there is a lot of things you can do, but most of it is not viable because of rushing.

I honestly don't know how to fix this, I guess better base defense options + maybe a "peace time" like the first 6.5 minutes you are not allowed to attack each other or add maps with pre build bases. For example you start with walls and a gate, TS style.

NO U

I suggest a campaign centred on Tsar Samuel, with particular attention to when his army was annihilated and the prisoners sent home blinded, causing his early demise.

i considered that, but i'm not sure if a campaign where your whole army fuken dies at the end would be a good idea. even the aztecs win their thing, despite their civilization dying out not long after
for the same reason i'm not sure if simeon would be good, since he dies right before trying to take constantinople

actually i take that back, kind of sounds similar to the el cid campaign

Panther fucking shits on anything allies have in late-game CoH though.

What…what the hell is that? A tiberium fiend?

Do all singleplayer Ai's cheat?

Don't know about all rts games, but they cheat HARD in c&c games. Invis hardly works, they have the right units ready and waiting in their base before you even arrive or they spot you. Playing against AI is cancer.

They cheated in spellforce too. Infinite resources they didn't even mine. Their buildings didn't mean anything. They spawned an increasing amount of enemies at a increasingly paced interval as the game went on, regardless of what buildings they had as long as there was at least 1 spawn.

anyone wanna play aoe2 steam version? i'm surprised, it's working a lot better than it used to, used to chug a lot at 800+ pop

Usually on the higher difficulties, yes. I think the only exception would be certain RTT games like Men of War where difficulty just changes the quality/number of units both sides get.

Fugg i didnt noticed the thread earlier

Yes i would be happy to play mo with fellow anons

From what I noticed they are map hacking in basically all the c&c games. You get a bunch of engineers and want to rush into the enemy base? Bad luck, they have a bunch of dogs waiting. You rush into the enemy base with tanks? Dogs nowhere to be seen but rockets all over the place. It's cancer, especially if you play around stealth and invis. You hide parts of your base but to no use, the enemy sees it anyway.

Anyone playing Spring TA? Had the idea of trying it again after so many years, seems kinda dead and a lot of TA games (e.g. XTA) seem incompatible or very unstable with newer engine versions. Anyone who has played this after 2012 know what's the best current TA mod? Also, for some reason, it seems like terrain deformation does not work anymore.

Pic unrelated

(checked)
Is the pathfinding still trash on that engine?

/thread
To add my own:
MP still active.
Great single player, MP still active.
sucks supremely
Another shitty game, but lots of freedom of choice.
campaigns are great man
Avoid dow 2 like the plague.
If you really, really want to give it a try, get elite mod and hop into skirmishes against AI to learn, MP rarely active.
Avoid.

Fuck. My bad. Won't do that next time.

Dawn of War 2 campaign felt more like a hack'n'slash or RPG.

i'll fite you

Age of Empires 1 HD patch updated:
moddb.com/mods/upatch-hd/news/upatch-hd-11-release-4

i need idea guys
after the river battle, what else can i do for the first mission?

is there any point in playing 1? aside from campaigns and different civs, doesn't 2 run a lot better?

Are there any RTS with longish matches? I'm trying to avoid a repeat of C&C where I spend 10 minutes finding a match, and the game lasts 5-10 minutes at most.

aoe2 games usually last at least an hour

Pretty much from what i recall.

Sins of a Solar Empire can last hours and I mean that. It takes me at least 3 to build up a good fleet and research everything.

Company of heroes usually last me over an hour as well.

I'm going to buy it when it goes on sale

I might check out rebellion. From what I gathered it seems it has a similar problem to C&C where players just kick you immediately if you're new.

if you're getting the steam version, get the forgotten dlc, since slavs/magyars/italians have cool shit
i haven't really tried the other dlcs though. ethiopians had slingers which was neat. and i hear there's also siege towers but i haven't had the chance to try

That's true, it's best to go a few rounds against the bots to get a feel for the races. There's some pretty good mods for it as well, Armada 3, Sins of the Prophet. Star wars one as well.

10/10

I always thought Civ5 was the game with the african kangdoms dlc.

I'm strongly considering it. Although, I prob will just get the game itself, not DLC. Will that fuck me over? They also seemed to have made a sequel, although it has a lot of finnicky shit according to the reviews.

You only need to get Rebellion, it has everything

it's also continently 75% off. Do the bots cheat hard or not reflect multiplayer?

Only if you're a faggot that doesn't know how to go on the offensive. Pic related.

SupCom was mentioned and it's pretty similar. But yes, you faggots really should play TA if you're RTS fans. First for the historical value and second because it's a really damn fine game.

Trying to play older RTS online is pretty awful when there's a dedicated community that's been playing for years. Try playing with friends or with anons, preferrably ones that haven't played it before so you can fuck around and experiment. You'll have a good time and you might even get good and beat the oldfags. Whether you really want to or not is a different question.

Rushing should always be a viable strategy barring special game modes like the arena in AoE2. I don't like rushing because it makes for short and boring games unless you're at very high levels of play, but there's not much you can do, really.

DoW is guilty of this as well. Whenever I play versus IG AI they always drop scans from their HQ right on top of my stealthed units, even when they're sitting waaaay at the back. Of course, it's not really a problem and the AI is piss easy even on the hardest difficulty.
The Empire Earth AI is ridiculous, though. It effectively has infinite resources and only gathers resources to give the illusion that it doesn't cheat. Killing villagers and destroying resource sites does nothing to it, you can only hamper it by destroying production buildings. Thankfully EE2 is a LOT better.

U wot m8

I once played a match in the largest possible map against the maximum amount of AI. It took me 3 days of playing it to complete it. To be fair, I only played it all day the first day. I only spent a couple of hours the next two days.
Good times. I recommend it.

I didn't mean to kill the thread.
Unless you meant the bit about Dawn of War. Game played out more like a slow ARPG (like Diablo) with how you slaughtered large masses of enemies with your group. Each of your guys you designed around a specific role. For the first campaign at least. It was pretty fun.

I checked it out. The in game tutorial is kinda bad. They just dump walls of text on you. It would have been better if they took the spellforce approach, where it's like you're playing an actual game with the narrator telling you how to do shit when you need it.

Commander DLC aside, the biggest issue I have with COH2 is the fucking claustrophobic zoom paired with the ridiculous range on some AT weapons.

The vehicle pathing is also sometimes infuriating but a little better than coh1 as you can reverse with hotkey instead of shift clicking behind your tank in small increments.

COH1 had only one long range AT weapon which was the 88mm emplacement and even then the damage model was far slower giving you more time to react to threats so the zoom level despite being annoying was not as big a problem.

The UI is also a massive eye sore that wastes a lot of your screen's space.

The large variety of commanders while fun is a pain in the ass to balance properly with so many clearly neglected. I much prefered COH1's model of having a small number of well designed doctrines instead.

CoH2 does offer some small improvements over CoH1 though like the zone capping, capping with mini map, and vaulting.

I find Ostheer the hardest to play currently, their main infantry grenadiers are so damn squishy and hard to preserve for what they are worth especially after investing in LMGs.

Game was better back when it was soviet vs wehrmacht since grens were balanced around fighting conscripts. Now its a clusterfuck of fuck my shit up famalam with so many factions and units.

Before brits the Ostheer + OKW synergy was broken in team games due to OKW bonuses at the time and ostheer early MG42/caches.

Then Britbongs were released and holy mother of fuck they were so blatantly broken, I wouldn't be surprised if the devs intentionally buffed up newly released commanders/factions to entice players to fork out the dosh.

They've long since fine tuned the balance and refined it more but it is still a bit of a clusterfuck. This is why I hate the game, would have been easier to balance if they had stuck to a set number of commanders for each faction even if it limits the number play styles since most are redundant or the same shit with small changes anyway.

Are there any other ancient era RTS games like age of empires?

0 a.d.
tzar

Similar off the top of my head,
And that game with rice fields forgot its name.

oh shit sorry I saw age of empires and didn't read through properly

Cossacks is like 1400-1600 AD era isnt it?

Are the Tzar titles that were only released in Spain different games?

dunno
i only know Tzar: the burdain of the crown

Have you played any of the other Haemimont Games? Seems like they have a bunch of RTS like titles but not sure if any of them are worth playing.

That's the best fam.

i did cheat tho

Battle Realms?

anyone got a feels good image with a conquistador on it? i swear i remember there being one, but i can't find it

i'm on a roll today, i keep getting mesoamericans that can't stop my cheapass units combined with whatever i get from the castle

Would anyone want to play MO?
I mean, i'm absolutely awful somewhat decent at it but i'm kinda scared of joining a random lobby and getting destroyed while being yelled at by some random spic.

I would be up for games. Would be good to get a 2v2 or something but I don't know if we'll get enough of us.

Yeah, 1 is pike and shot era
2 is Napoleonic

Well, we could do some coop campaign missions in the meantime until we get enough anons.

I can manage to lose against the Easy AI in this game. I'm not sure I should even apply.

Yeah, that's always an option. I'm not gonna host, though.

You're not going to get any better if you don't play, user.

The Easy AI in MO could be considered something close to a souped up Brutal AI in the base game, with the advent that it doesn't even need resources to produce units.
I can consistently win against the "Mental" AI on 1v1s by neutering its production/tech and camping his base until i can get artillery to remove the defense spam, but it isn't really a fair game for you if you let it build unmolested as you get swarmed with Battle Lab tier units fairly quickly.

I believe there's a certain mode for multiplayer called Fortress where it's all players vs 1 king of the hill-style game, it could be fun against an AI opponent for practice.

Just like, host game then :^)

there's an hosted game actually

Well I'm going to fuck off instead of waiting around for another hour when I have no idea what's going on.

Well that game's over.

looking for people to play aoe2 with steam version

Wednesday is the earliest i can play