ITT: List idiot Nintendo Design Decisions

I'll start: Including the pointless charging cradle for the original 3DS, and yet selling the actual AC Adapter, which is key for continuous operation seperatly for every other 3DS successor in the future (as far as im aware). also, not including at least a LAN-Port on the Wii Mini, they lost a ton of cash on that one.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD+R_DL
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD
fileforums.com/showthread.php?t=43604
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I love the cradle charger, but yeah, that fucking thing should of been it's own charger instead of requiring the standard one to function, still, I like my 3ds sitting there while it charges, thank you very much.

Also, why a lan port on the wii mini? when none o the previous models had one, what were the possibilities? none of the Wii games supported lan play did them?, or you mean actual online? can't remember if the thing could actually connect via wifi at all, I'm guessing not, yeah, they were extra cheap non there, specially including Mario Kart Wii on the package the game that was actually un to play online on the Wii (I know about MHTri and that's all).

Making a handheld console that lasts 3 hours and has a gimmick that is completely unusable unless you're in your own home or not moving.
Also making the same console, a handheld, with a very refractive screen making it impossible to see with any kind of natural light around you forcing your fat neckbeard users to constantly see their fat fucking face reflected in said console.

are there any downsides to NOT have region locking in your consoles/handhelds?

Completely unnecessary.

Importing games at cheaper prices?

it would've been the cheapest way to access the Wii Shop, so people could've made digital purchases.

yeah, i won't buy the switch until they make a cheaper version that only works with your TV.

Yeah they jewed it so much they potencially lost sales, ironic.

Seeing how everyone here is predicting the inevitable revision will be portable only, guess that would make it another error on your personal list.

how?

why?

The N3DS has other huge improvements. The better CPU and the additional inputs make most games way more tolerable and most older games run at a steadier framerate on top of that. All in all the N3DS is a welcome upgrade all things considered. The amiibo functionality is nice too especially if you don't want to plop out 20 fucking bucks for the retarded stand.

Portable only would be really stupid. Why would somebody only want to play on a shitty 720p IPS Display? How would taking a useful, convinient ability of hooking it up to a bigger,better quality display be a positive change? Making it Home only would be much cheaper for both nintendo and the consumer, and it would be better suited for the western market, since dedicated gaming handhelds have a tiny marketshare in western markets.

Taking away the ability to hook it up to a tv* still, counter argument please user

I make use of the cradle constantly, it's bretty gud. The 3 hour battery is retarded yes but i personally don't play for extended periods of time, and so i can play a bit, stick it in the cradle and pick it up later.

user, those are just different means of connecting to your router. Over wi-fi or cable you can still play LAN games.

Yes it's welcome. but it's also jewish as fuck. The 3DS is an extremely flawed system and everyone and their grandmothers knew it, it's impossible that nintendo put it out thinking it wasn't shit, they did it on purpose and they planned to release a fix'd version from the start to rake in shekels.
The jews fear the samurai only because the samurai is a better jew than the jew.

On launch? Meh, I mean, the worst thing about it was it's price, but after the price cut there wasn't much you could shake at it. The library is there.

>instead of taking full advantage of 'muh asymmetrical gameplay' by making Master Hand and by extension the other bosses fucking playable with a Boss Battle VS mode, nope have some Smash Party bullshit

Furthermore:

Power consumption, for one. A 50 inch TV is great for showing off games to friends, but if I'm just checking the store, or farming shit in monster hunter, I'd rather not rack up my power bill.

All of them since the N64?

well, that's good if you're just going to use it like a 4DS (doesn't even have MH yet), but i bet most people are just going to use it like a Wii U 2 because of the shitty battery life and it being too huge to use as a proper handheld.

Not if you're running things legit. If you're not using Luma3DS or NTR to force games to run with the increased specs it'll just run them at O3DS clock speeds and without the L2 cache. For anything but Hyrule Warriors, Super Smash Bros., Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, Super Mario Maker, and any other game that runs in extended-RAM mode on an O3DS, N3DS offers no advantage.

And including the n64
It's weird to imagine that a company that only made 2 consoles, the last one of which was a long time ago is still a major player in the market

If power isn't dirt cheap, chances are you're a nigger and too poor to afford a console and video games anyway.

That's how people used their Wii U too. The off TV feature on the system came in handy when you wanted to put something on in the background, or didn't want to kick a roommate off the TV.
Depending on how the furniture is set up, having a smaller screen in your hand can be more comfortable to see than having a larger one farther away, even if you're still in your own home.

Compared to the cost of having the switch come with a screen?

LACK
OF
FUCKING
GAMES

A picture is worth a thousand words

how the fuck is someone dumb enough to waste money on a 50 inch TV if they have so little money that they need to care about the literal pennies a day it costs to keep that TV on?

Come on, V. I actually own (and enjoy) one of these. Wario was preddy gud. But fuck me, after 30 mins of red on black, the headaches…

Top retard

Why was it fucking red on black? The games for this thing are a lot more enjoyable on B&W

low hanging fruit, i guess

I remember something about it being the cheapest option available at the time. Other colors could have been used, but would have cost more (even RGB was investigated but was too costly).

Also chalk this one up as another "we aren't quite sure if this is a console or portable" from the Big N.

True, but worth discussing.

N64's analogue stick barely has any lubrication, and it wears down over the years until it barely works.
You need the Wii U gamepad to go through the options menu, because it only displays the options on the bottom screen.
Some Wii U games only pipe sound to the gamepad if you're playing in a specific off-TV mode. If you want to play on the TV and have sound come out the gamepad you can't do that.
n3DS's nub thing barely has any grip. If your fingers sweat a bit you can't turn the camera in MH4U properly. See the Thinkpad trackpoint's texture as this done right.
3DS's 3D barely works, because moving your head slightly ruins the effect.
Before update 6.x, the 3DS would enter camera mode if you pressed L or R. Accidentally bumping the bumpers would start it up.
The Wii U's initial update was streamed to the console. If you lost Internet access or power while updating, you'd brick your Wii U.
If you have a game on the 3DS the servers assume you own it.

On the other hand, they have some really good design choices when they do it right.
The WIi U controllers have the sticks on the top, meaning that you can claw the right hand side and have your thumb on the buttons at the same time.
The Wii U gamepad has a ridge on the back, and it makes it easy to grip the gamepad sideways for drawing.
The MiniUSB cable that comes with the Wii U Pro controller is fucking long.
Splatoon lets you tape a Wiimote to a Pro controller to use the Wiimote's gyro while playing
n3DS's cover plates let you keep notes on the inside, for quick referencing while on the go

They sell the adapter separately because something something non-standard ports something something international law. They didn't want to change it from the old DS charger or something iirc.

Existing

A friend of mine claims his vision got much worse because of the virtualboy.

You press X and the screen's on the Wii U menu switch.

That works for the main menu. Once you go into the System Settings program the top screen is only usable for documentation. Everything there has to be done on the tablet, so if you lose that you lose access to settings.

How in God's green earth did they think CDs were just a fad? The fucking massive difference in manufacturing costs should have been a big enough clue to the contrary. Seems like Nintendo has always been a bunch of old men stuck in the past.

It wasn't that Nintendo thought CDs were a fad, I mean they were already the next big thing after cassette tapes and it was obvious, it came down to manufacturing costs and load times. This is back when 2X/4X CD Roms were fast, it wasn't until the PS2 era that 40x/52x speed CD drives were cheap and common.

Nintendo thought fast loading from cartridges that it already had a huge stake in would be the better route forward. They weren't entirely wrong, the GB, GBA, DS and 3DS all used them, the Switch will use them.

But when Sony started filling up multiple CDs with FMV, actual real sound tracks, and insane amount of content, the trend was pretty clear. Square famously picked the PS1 over the N64 even after having a tech demo image of an FF6 3D remake for the N64 published in Nintendo Power (image related).

When will this meme die?

No ethernet port on the WiiU and the Switch.

Not a design, but the way they've routinely fucked up and fragmented Virtual Console for 10 years is astounding. From not allowing cross buy, to mediocre emulation (see NES games on Wii U), out of date fixed pricing, retarded omissions like no Super FX chip games, for a company that hates free PC emulators Nintendo does a great job convincing people to keep using them

How is it retarded when they're legally not able to?

This was fucking stupid.

In the end you were better off paying a little more to buy a regular Wii. Only positive is the red Wii Remote and Nunchuck included look nice.

If your referring to Argonauts work on the chip, one of their developers said Nintendo has the right to rerelease those games. Sound there's no legal issue preventing them not to.

RCA *composite out

Component is the red blue green cables that allowed for progressive scan. And speaking of which, who can forget Nintendo's great idea of releasing 480p GameCube games while leaving the cables Japan only. Better yet who else loved how the GameCube component cables used a proprietary DAC chip so no third party cables could be made?

in my oppinion, the Double Screen was a great concept for both casual and core games, and since it was cheaper than the PSP and both had boatloads of games of many varietys, you had a choice of 2 great handhelds that couldn't be any more different from each other. say what you want about the 6th generation of gaming, but it was great for handhelds.

The 3DS as a whole. It's awkward, the top screen is heavy, and the device isn't sturdy as a result. 3D is pretty poor in most games, and the UI is terrible, slow, and doesn't multi-task at all.

The DS was a great idea, but it shouldn't have lasted for more than 1 generation. The gimmick is a large part of what made it sell.

Don't forget that the hardware was barely more powerful than the PSP which came out in 2004

why would you want to Multitask on a Dedicated Gaming Handheld? Also, this isn't entirely true, since it has a co-processor that only searches for Streetpass and Spotpass Data while gaming.

Nigger detected. You'll be pawning all that shit off at gamestop for a bag of weed soon enough anyway.

Even worse, you can get a used Wii for a quarter of the price. Second hand stores are still overloaded with original-series Wiis, the ones with Gamecube support.

Because PC Engine CD, CDTV, CD32, Sega CD, 3DO, Pippin, LaserActive, and Jaguar CD all went to bat and struck out miserably. Sony was even smaller than 3DO-maker Panasonic, so a lukewarm reception at best for the original PlayStation was a safe bet. They probably would have lost out if they hadn't pumped a metric ton of advertising dollars into it.

Meanwhile, cutting out CD-ROMs mean little to no loading times, pirates have a harder time copying from cartridges, better reliability from the lack of moving parts, and a launch price that beat out Sony by $100 and Sega by $200. I think that's a good tradeoff, even if devs can't fit their poorly-compressed FMV, jock rock soundtracks, and shitty voice acting onto a cartridge.

What the fuck?

The N64 had no load times whatsoever. The PS1 did, all while the N64 produced superior graphics. It was easy to see CDs were just a fad. The only problem was they were more expensive than CDs, thus the PS1 beat the N64 in sales because Sony could afford to sell games for cheaper

But when you look at today, where CD drives are slowly being phased out on PCs in favor of SSD bays, where SD Cards are taking over as a form of personal storage, where every fucking PS4 and Xbox One game needs to be installed to the HDD anyways. Yes, CDs were just a fucking fad, and now CDs are dying while solid state storage is not only still king, but is also still growing.

That was because they cut out a dedicated sound processor and additional RAM (that they sound back to customers later), Nintencuck.

Not with that cartridge storage capacity and piddly ass texture cache it didn't

20 years of being a dominating media format isn't a fad, dipshit.

CDs were never a dominant format. What fucking planet do you live on?
Is this somehow supposed to be a blow to the N64? To say that even with a nonexistent storage capacity and texture cache and it still produced superior graphics than the PS1 kek!

It did. Games like Rogue Squadron, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, Majora's Mask, Banjo Kazooie, Battle for Naboo, and Conker would all be way too much for PlayStation or Saturn to handle.

It came packaged with Donkey Kong 64 and Costco/Walmart packages of Majora's Mask, but I can tell you aren't much of a games person with this CD-ROM mental gymnastics.

It also had four controller ports as standard, whereas you needed a multitap and, God willing, a game that supported it on the other two.

Those streched blurry ass textures in most N64 games say otherwise.

You Nintencucks have a real bad habit of re-writing history.

What does the 224-line resolution, or the 3-5 minute loading times, or more than half of the games only using a shitty D-pad, or the botched disk drives of the first few models say about the original PlayStation?

True, but they also needed said RAM expansion Nintendo jewed you all out of.

Doesn't change the argument that Nintendo cheaped out on RAM, not to mention those games were already like 70 to 80 bucks on release

We weren't talking about multiplayer, so nice goalpost moving.

The delusion of the Nintendrone

You mean the same one as 90% of N64 games?

The shitty underutilized D-pad and worn out analog sticks say a fuck of a lot more about the N64.

That despite the obvious issue of hardware with more moving parts having being prone to faults it still made the N64 eat shit, especially in Japan and Europe.

I want underagefag to leave. You idiots don't know what a dominant format even fucking is. Even during the 80s and 90s people still used vinyl and cassette alongside CDs. The last VHS produced was in 2005. Even throughout the 2000s CDs had competition from flash, ROM, and HDD storage. Stop defending fads

Only Majora's Mask needed it.

CD-ROM games were only $5-10 cheaper. What is it with you Neofags thinking they'd really pass that cost savings down to the consumer?

That's a real function that was kept out of the PlayStation and then sold back to customers, that is if any games they had supported it.

nobodys rewriting history, it's just being a biased fanboy. both CDs and Cartridges had advantages and disadvantages, that are still there.

Kill yourself reddit.

Nice revisionism

Ayy lmao

The only (and I meand THE ONLY) advantage CDs had over solid state was storage capacity, and that advantage only lasted until maybe the mid 2000s

Mario 64, Cruis'n, and Pilotwings all ran at 240 lines. Later games like Rogue Squadron and Rayman 2 ran at 640x480.

The d-pad was exactly the same as what was used on the SNES. Also, you need to be 18+ years old to post here.

Don't let the sales distract you from their failure to match that of the Game Boy line and the DS, or the fact that PlayStation wasn't as reliable as N64 with it's low-rent CD drive that couldn't even hold a candle to the 3DO's.

why does sony still use Blurays for both games, movies, etc? why aren't they releasing everything on proprietary sd cards or something?

Donkey Kong needed it too, but only because Rare couldn't find the bug in the standard code so they decided to ship every copy with a RAM expansion instead and eat the cost. Jet Force Gemini is their best game on N64 anyway

Truth, but for normal fags who love their movie games, this is a big advantage. Sony brought in absolute masses of casual fags with their marketing and shit.

This is where the real NeoGAF-bred fanboys come in, the ones that are willing to overlook their central role in casualizing gaming.

Lovely circlejerk

The only revisionism I see are people saying CDs were ever a dominant format for storage

Last I recall they've had proprietary SDcard clones since the PSP. And the reason they haven't let go of CDs for their home consoles is so people can still play their DVD collections

And Perfect Dark. And Donkey Kong 64.

Nigger there were games that cost up to 80 bucks, like RE2 on N64.

Cassettes by that point were purchased by the dirt poor and vinyl had become a novelty for audiophiles. CD sales beat them both into the ground

At a time when pretty much everyone purchased A History of Violence on DVD.

Try this decade. I remember in 2005 CF cards with 32 gigs were like almost a hundred bucks.

And everything else besides maybe Perfect Dark ran at 240p

Which every game but Mischeif Makers neglected because of a retardedly made controller. Also, you need to be 18+ years old to post here.

Last time I checked Sony owns the rights to the Blu-ray standard, or something like that. They don't have to pay royalties to use it, so it's cheap for them.
They use custom SD cards as game cards on the Vita, but the Vita has much smaller games. They also used a custom MicroSD equivalent for memory, and that was absolute shit

Don't know what that proves when in 2005 the most a DVD could hold was 5GBs before they came up with dual-layers

that's true, although i do miss the cool design of the UMD, that thing looks so futuristic, i wish i had a cool slot-loading drive for those i could hook up to my PC just for the heck of it.

We were talking about the games I listed. Majora is the only one that requires the Expansion pak. You also just listed all three games that needed it to run.
RE2 is strange, because it played better than the PlayStation version, but was on a cartridge.

Yes, that's what I said, PlayStation games ran at an even lower resolution than that.
Yoshi's Story and Cruis'n USA and World all used it. 3D environments like the ones N64 was better capable at making called for something like an analog stick, a decision which Sony had to correct about halfway into the PlayStation's lifespan.

Lmao, it was super-compressed and every fucking asset was washed out as well as the cutscenes. Its widely known as the worst version, you delusional fanboy.

UMDs were God awful. What the fuck was Sony thinking with those? They were loud, slow, and the casing was very brittle and cracked very easily when carrying those things around. I guarantee you omitting those would've added at least an extra 5 hours to the PSPs battery life. I think they only reason UMDs existed was so Sony could release movies on them for the extra novelty of having the PSP be a portable movie player Admittedly its movie playback capabilities were pretty damn impressive for the time

There were already dual layered DVDs by then, but rewriting history seems to be your forte.

Thanks for proving my point.

If you're talking about the alternate control mode, I've played it, and it doesn't work. RE2 was designed around the standard tank controls.

Oh boy, 3 games out of 400 others used it, really put to good use!

yeah, i know that they have little practical use nowadays, but i just really like that floppy-disk like design.

Alright wise guy. They just started appearing on the market in the middle of '04. I don't recall seeing them really start coming around until 2006-2007. This was well before the average pleb owned an HDTV so there was very little demand to store that much data on what was still primarily a video format

Nope, try since the beginning of the format. Movies were already being pressed to dual layered discs early in the systems format.

Just because it wasn't available on a consumer level doesn't mean it wasn't being used.

Nope like I said, dual layered discs were being used by studios and production companies early in the format's history.

It was the only one of what I listed at . Are you illiterate?
It doesn't matter how many put it to good use, it was there if needed and it was better than what PlayStation owners were stuck with.

Which PS2 games used both layers besides Gran Turismo 4?

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD+R_DL
>Its use was first demonstrated in October 2003. DVD+R DL discs employ two recordable dye layers, each capable of storing nearly the 4.7 GB capacity of a single-layer disc, almost doubling the total disc capacity to 8.5 GB. Discs can be read in many DVD devices (older units are less compatible) and can only be created using DVD+R DL and Super Multi drives. DL drives started appearing on the market during mid-2004, at prices comparable to those of existing single-layer drives
Whos the revisionist now faggot?

From the after dawn forum:
8.02GB PAL Champions of Norrath
7.94GB JAP GRAN TURISMO Concept (Traditional Chinese Version) SCPS55903
7.94GB JAP Xenosaga
7.93GB USA God of War (SCUS 97399 - 8,522,792,960 bytes)
7.88GB USA Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht (SLUS 20469 - 8,468,299,776 bytes)
7.74GB USA Champions of Norrath (SLUS 20565 - 8,319,303,680 bytes)
7.55GB USA The Guy Game (SLUS 21074 - 8,113,094,656 bytes)
7.20GB JAP Sakura Wars Atsuki Chishiyo Ni
6.47GB USA Madden 2005 Collectors Edition
6.13GB PAL Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
5.99GB USA MGS2: Substance
4.94GB USA Gran Turismo 4 (SCUS 97328 - 5,314,478,080 bytes)

That's for the fucking +R format you dumb faggot. That's for consumers. Professionally pressed discs you get for games and movies are manufactured and released differently than consumer level burnable discs.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD

And here's one for OG Xbox games: fileforums.com/showthread.php?t=43604

Notice that some games like Shenmue 2 and Street Hoops (2002) already broke the 4.7 gig single layer limit.

I have one too user, haven't played it in years so I'm sure the mirrors are fucked up now but Wario land was good

whats this one?

Hue

The Club Nintendo Wii mini code fiasco was fun though. For those that weren't around, basically you could redeem system codes for points to get physical goods a few years back, except people found out that the wii mini's codes were simple and in sequential order so you could change the last number or two and get like 100 coins or some shit

Isn't that a pro?

Lmao

CLEAR YOUR NOTIFICATIONS

Not if you're Nintendo

nope
Nintendo wanted to force third party publishers to have their games physically produced by Nintendo, as they had to in the NES/SNES era. That way, Nintendo could earn even more money on the games (since the publisher's would have to pay for manufacturing costs) as well as control which games and how many of them were released.
Some 3rd party devs said that Nintendo would pretty much hold back titles they considered a 'threat' to the sales of their own titles. Or take a long time to produce the cartridges for some titles. Or just produce very few of them.
Had they switched to CD Rom, publishers could just have a few million copies made by one of the myriad companies that makes CDs, lowering Nintendo's profits. While they could withhold their "Seal of Quality" in such cases, making the games unlicensed, Nintendo knew that devs would at least use the availability of cheaper manufacturers as leverage in negotiating prices for physical copies. That, and they would lose some control over their system and the games available on it.
And Nintendo has always been a bunch of cunts and control freaks.

Oh fuck this reminds me, there's a big chance the switch is going to get the virtual boy treatment. who am i kidding normalfags will eat it up and so will some of the redditors on Holla Forums

You retarded nigger, yeah the CD is the dominating media format but not the dominating game format. Jesus christ my cousin has the downs and he doesn't understand how a toilet works, but he can still read better than you.

yes, nowadays solid storage is superior to optical media: but in the mid to late 90s, when the N64 was around, CD ROMs were arguably 'better', or at least, more customer friendly.
Sure, load times suck, but being able to store at least 10 times as much data (biggest N64 Cartridges were 512MBit / 64 MByte as opposed to 640MByte on a standard CD), as well as being a lot cheaper makes it worth it imho.
Not to mention, could have slapped some audio tracks onto it to safe processing power on the combo-GPU/Soundchip abomination, so you'd at least have music in 4-player Mario Kart

over here in Europe, N64 games were on average 20-30% more expensive than PSX or Saturn games

to be fair, Sony is part of the BluRay consortium bullshit, BluRay is 'their' format. They still push proprietary bullshit formats (Sony Memory Sticks for cameras as well as those accursed PS Vita Cards for example), though their last tries to establish those closed formats for movies / music (UMD and minidisk respectively) it didn't go so well

It really didn't.

Games contain media you fucking stupid nigger. And even then

Yeah, carts sure dominated.

GBA having no backlight originally. Who thought it was a good idea?

The same Nintendo that thought to release the GBA SP with a backlight while also removing the headphone jack.

They also played at 5/6ths the speed. Europe wasn't as good of a place for computer games in the mid 90s as the United States, Canada, or Japan.

If you're a Sonybrony and you wanted the FMV cutscenes first and foremost, N64 isn't your version, then.

You're literally the only one that thinks so. Sales were bad on those things.

Before 1995, there was PC Engine CD, CDTV, CD32, CD-i, 3DO, Sega CD, Pippin, and Laseractive. All of them had CD-ROM, and the most successful of them all was Sega CD with a pitiful 2 million across six different compatible models. CD-ROMs made the system less reliable with the introduction of moving parts. Cutting it out made it harder for pirates to copy games and allowed Nintendo to launch N64 at a full $100 below the $299 PlayStation.

Why, again, should they have gone with CDs, then, other than to accommodate developers who wanted poorly compressed FMV cutscenes, shitty voice acting, and generic-sounding Muzak?

You forgot the fact that they were cheap as shit which I'd say is the main reason really.

The only reason we still use that shit is because tradition and CD/DVD/bluray playback now.

not making CDs for the nintendo 64
pretty much allowing Sony to exist and shooting themselves in the foot profit wise

The cartridges were the best part of the N64. I'd say the biggest problem with the N64 is that it's retardedly hard to develop for and it was intentionally made that way.

As were floppies. Both had similar load times and reliability. Neither had their lower cost passed onto the consumer.

Existing

Everything they've done since the Wii has been idiotic.

You can get a ps4 with a game for less than a n3ds xl without a game or charger.

Then why did nintendo switch from cartridges to CDs?

They didn't, Nintendo switched to DVDs. :^)

Why stop at hardware? Let's take Paper Mario, a highly acclaimed franchise, and strip it of all the gameplay mechanics that people love, strip it of the charming variety of characters and replace them with that one annoying Navi-like character that does nothing but be a voice for the main character, and let's just build every game on that engine from now on.

Mini-DVDs, even when they made the jump to discs they were still behind, lmao.

Speaking of Paper Mario, I must be a retard because I got stuck in Sticker Star. I simply didn't know what fucking thing I was supposed to use or where to find it or even where to use it to progress. I must have missed some tutorial shit somewhere or some basic "help" function. It's the only time I've ever felt retarded playing a game. Am I truly retarded or is the game just a random mix of trial and error using the cut and paste tools?

That's particularly depressing if true. Could I bother you to provide an image that would illustrate your claim?

nintendo has this weird fear of keeping things the same, if you see any interviews where they talk about fzero they say there was no where to take the series yet they still re-release NSMB over and over

nintendo can't figure out how to stick with what works and toss what doesn't, so they throw the baby out with the bethwater every time

They release a new portable console after the 3DS but called it 2DS because fuck logic. Oh yeah the argument was "it's like a 3DS but without the 3D, we had to take the slider out because the goyim didn't understand how to use it", "you can put it in your pocket… although it's bigger than a 3DS, but prease undestand we need more money".
Ugly design, no second circle pad, the screen is smaller than the 3DS XL.

It was designed so toddlers wouldn't snap it in half, or develop some eye condition from staring at 3D.
It's literally a fisher price toy.

It was great, no gimmicky bullshit that inflated the price, just the games.

The 2DS is a retard-proof 3DS. You can't snap the hinge because it doesn't have one, and everything about it is big and chunky. It fails as a portable but I've heard people say it's quite comfy.
If they waited until the n3DS refresh and released it then, with a proper stick instead of a nub, it would have been much more well recieved. It's better than the Wii Mini and PSP Street, but they could have done much more with it.

I imagine so. Wouldn't keeping it docked all the time fuck up the battery though?

The single decision that made Nintendo irrelevant overnight.

This shit was so bad, it turned me to PC gaming.

I think I would be a very, very different person today if I had received a Playstation for my birthday instead of this piece of garbage.

I'm wondering if they'll be worth anything unopened someday.

who cares, really. with this kind of thing, 3 hours is just miserable, considering we've barely seen any games that you're supposed to play for a short while, pick up and play style. you really don't have a choice.

Of course they will be, if the GameBoy Light and the Atari Lynx are worth money then why wouldn't the 2DS be worth something too?

Here you go, the game thing was a bundle that sold out a little while ago.
But even reduced the n3ds is hardly cheaper than the ps4 which isn't reduced in price.

Bloodboner was just perpetrated by the shills, user. PS4 still has no games.

I'm calling bullshit on that. Lowest price I found was $267 at Walmart and Amazon, bundled with Uncharted 4, but we're looking for a game bundle.

Was it too expensive? Were the games too good?

No and no, cartridges killed it.

Looking at the difference from a creative perspective, I wonder how many of the halfway decent PS1 or Saturn games filled more than half the CD-ROM with game data, let alone the 128 meg limit of N64 cartridges.

CDs weren't a fad, you're just retarded. Music CDs are still being sold. PC games were distributed on CDs for years, even after DVDs became the standard.

optical discs have always been shit though. they stored more data for a while (which is nice for sound files) but they're fragile and slow.
i'd much rather have carts as a physical medium.

They used mini-dvds to fight piracy and it worked you fucking moron.

OT: Releasing the wii without the fully developed wiimote thus crushing everyones dreams with waggle and by the time motionplus made wiimotes how it was supposed to be no one fucking used it.

Not for about 20 years they weren't. Yes, they're irrelevant now, but for 20 years they were the cheapest method to deliver media on a consumer level with large capacities as said

Yeah, you can piss and moan B-B-B-B-BUT OPTICAL MEDIA SUCK NOW MUH SSD STORAGE but in 1996 that wasn't the case and Nintendo promptly shot themselves in the foot going with a medium that was forced into hibernation because of the benefits optical had at the time. Also consider this

the n64 didn't have piss poor load times like the psx. needing a disc in the drive for a lot of early games was a pain in the ass because the read speed was so slow.
i lived through it go tote your garbage somewhere else.

CD was complete dogshit. I owned both N64 and PS1 and N64 was better in every way that mattered for vidya games. I did not enjoy waiting 5minutes for Jet Moto to load a track and the pixels were just awful in every single PS game. I want a new jet moto already along with nintendo to bring back fzero godamnit

The AC port in the 3ds is extremly shitty
I've had it broken on me twice
So the Cradle is actually good

Except the Wii U can't handle Online Multiplayer, what the fuck are you on about

Except for the fact that the N64 didn't have many games at all.

Yeah, it also worked to keep away larger games from being released and stuff like MGS being split into two fucking discs, not to mention that several multiplats looked fucking ugly due to the tiny 1.4 GB space limit. Wow.

Wow, fucking oldschool OG oldfag, he had a Playstation in the 90s, now ain't that some shit

I bet he has an SNES and NES too because those things were as hard to find as magical unicorns in those days. I can't believe we had a bunch of faggots arguing about CDs not begin a standard in the 90s. It has to be either under-aged faggots or stale bait.

The preferable method would have been what Sega did with the Saturn in that generation; A CD-ROM combined with a cartridge port. You supply a universal cartridge with ample space and load resources to it upon boot or stream load them while the user is going through menus at the start of the game. This way arcade ports wouldn't suffer from horrible load times like MK3 on the Playstation while giving you the benefits of CD quality sound and video that you couldn't get on the N64. Later on down the line you release updated universal cartridges with extra processors like the SNES had and clean up on the competition which can't pack-in cheap hardware updates in the last couple of years that the console is seeing new games/ports.

Sony got two things right that generation: the simple architecture and buying up as much third party support as they could. They were practically dropping to their knees and sucking any penis that walked through the door if it was attached to a person that had made a game that was even remotely popular.

Worth noting that developing for it was intentionally fucked. Probably more than a handful of titles moved to the PS1 because of the notorious difficulty in developing for the N64.

DK64 only needed it because the game was rushed to market and had a memory leak. Rare lost a ton of money packing each copy with the expansion pak.

Fucking Nintendo can't even get something as simple as ports right. I lived in an older house, while in college, that was complete trash for wireless connection and the only spot that was best for everyone was on the other side of the house. I constantly was dropping from Splatoon games because of this stupid decision.

Wireless is a meme.

Wait what? Wii U/Switch don't have ethernet port?

Can't say about the retardation that the switch is going to be but the Wii U lacked one for god knows what reason.

They made a USB to Ethernet adapter for the Wii U. I'm not defending Nintendo but you could have solved it.

To be fair nobody saw the Playstation coming. I was there for the time, all the hype was on Saturn, it was this mysterious cool futuristic machine…but then nobody wound up actually buying it. I barely knew what Playstation was, then you'd hear "my cousin bought a playstation it's pretty cool," then you'd hear somebody else bought a playstation, then the images of Crash Bandicoot started hitting magazines and you needed to try it…and it became a snowball, then images of FFVII started getting around and it was all over. But nobody could have predicted Playstation would explode the way it did at the beginning.

Switch needs a dongle. No port in the base. Ethernet is a fad!

No, money wasn't a factor.

It had some good games. Out of its entire library (which never hit 300, most of it shovelware), there were only about ten games that were worth a shit.

Having gone from the SNES/Genesis+Sega Channel to the N64 was the pinnacle of fucking disappointment.

It also didn't have anywhere near the amount of games, genres, or hardware sales as PS1

It also didn't have the amount of games, genres, and hardware sales like the psx.

PS1 was the first generation to bring shovelware.

Both SNES and Mega Drive/Genesis had their fair share of shovelware. Granted, PS1 had far more of it but it certainly wasn't the first system to suffer from it.

is this a joke? Shovelware always existed, it was the reason the videogame crash happened.

weed makes video games more fun

wow great so lets bring it back. thanks sony. PS1 had a shitty lineup of good games burried in shovelware on the shelves, n64 was more consistent.

what point are you trying to make?

Ever existing in the first place. Nintendo was always shit, you know I'm right.

I think he's just being a fag and rubbing it in since the only good Jet Moto is 2.

Is this fucking bait? The industry fucking crashed back in 1983 due to shovelware, E.T was fucking shoveled, remember? The NES and SNES had metric tons of shovelware.

I already made my point you dumb fuck. Retarded fanboys claiming PS1 was better because it had more games ignore that it was majority of shovelware and good games were few and far between. Nintendo was still using its seal of quality and it made a difference. N64 had less games but more of them more often were good games. When they retired it we got shovelware up the ass on Nintendo systems again, but Nintendo went along with it this time because of the casual market. The same casual market sony was balls deep in PS1 with letting their shovelware run wild.

This is one of the most retarded arguments i've ever heard

Jet Moto 1 was better, it had like 20 racers at once and was more frantic.

Jet moto 1 was garbage. And unless you sucked ass at Jet moto 2 you could get the entire game's tracks onto JM2 via unlocks.

It sure did.

okay, but what is your point? are you upset your grandmother bought you a lot of crappy games from the dollar bin instead of something you actually asked for?

Thanks for proving my point faggot, even the worst of N64s shovelware was better than PS1's

Of course that if a console is more popular between the public and developers its going to get more shitty games, Sherlock

get out of here Shill. Snake Eater 3D still runs like complete ass, and the only reason I dont complain as much as I could is because I use a flashcart and dont pay for 3DS games cause nintendo is jew af

It depends when you get the n3ds. I got my galaxy n3ds last month and it only cost me $200, and during black friday they costs $100 bucks.

Or just go on craigslist and get them for $180-$200 bucks along with games, the charger and probably other shit along with it.