Pre-Awakening Fire Emblem Thread

Since today's direct only further cemented the presence of nu-FE, lets have a thread about the good games in the series.
What is your
>favorite waifu

Also, are there any NPCs that you really wanted to be playable at some point, but never were?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6IMkVBE3DFM
youtube.com/watch?v=alWcpcPci04
mediafire.com/download/vkd5d5f0o01n60u/project_naga_beta_7.zip
srpgstudio.com/
mobile.twitter.com/FE_Heroes_JP
archive.is/uPhVr
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How? They're giving you a remake of the 2nd game. I get some of the complaints, but christ, being this unpleasable honestly makes me think people just circlejerk over this shit to fit in.

Nice downboat fag

A remake doesn't stop them from making the game more casual, censoring it, botching the localization to appeal to the fans Awakening created, more forced Amiibo integration and heavy DLC jewing. Hell the game is already confirmed for having day 1 DLC.

FE2 is a very bizzare choice for a remake, I wonder why they chose to make it. I wonder if there is a single Gaiden fan out there.

However, if this means a FE4 remake on the Switch is on the horizon, then I'm happy. That and SMT would convince me to buy the console.

nu-FE has been around for 15 years now, it's pretty fucking cemented.

Why would you bother even looking at a game in English, much less a Nintendo one?

Because they remade the full Marth story on the DS, so Gaiden is the next logical step?

Of course there is. I haven't had a chance to play much of it so far, but I've enjoyed what I have, and I'm sure people out there who've played the entire thing love it.

Geneology is next, then, I doubt they'd have the balls to make it properly. That's a great fucking game.

I really need to get around to playing the SF titles, though now I'm conflicted on whether to finish FC Gaiden or to wait for the 3DS remake.

Play Geneology, it is the first game in its arc, and is only follwed up by Thracia 776AD. It goes against most of the conventions of the games before and after. Rather than having 25-30 small maps that take 10-20 minutes to complete, it has 12 huge ones with multiple castles and towns to conquer that take around an hour or more to complete. Rather than doing your character management between stages like the later games, it can be done at any time by bringing the character to a castle under your control. You can deploy all your units on every map, and halfway through, it kills off your entire party and replaces it with their children. It also introduces a romance/eugenics element, where each character has a bloodline which can be consolidated or diluted depending on who they mate with, which determines which of the Holy Weapons their children can use in the endgame. However, since characters are locked to their classes, it means you should plan ahead or use a guide.

I'm aware, I'm just the type who likes to play shit in order, so I'll be going on to Monsho after Gaiden, then Keifu.

I don't know if you could call the post-Naga games nu-Fire Emblem games. Up until Awakening, they were all still really good and stayed faithful to the series' traditions.

You can see how Sacred Stones led to Awakening, though, with the infinite grinding maps.

Mystery or Genealogy
Hector or Emphraim (mainly cause they don't use swords)
Cavalier or Mounted Archers
timid qt girls
I usually get attached to units you get very early, like Cain in Mystery
I don't really pay attention to bosses
Any without fog
I honestly forget about character relationships and I haven't played the games in a while. Something always goes fucky with my saves when I get close to beating them.

I'm optimistic of the remake since i didn't see a single self insert. The art style also isn't fucking awful/nonsensical.
Please Holla Forums, I just want to be excited for my favorite franchise again
Thracia. Holsety if you see this fucking translate it already
Siggy Diggy
Sage
Jeigan
Fe6 Marcus
Hugh
Batta. Dude just looks really cool
That bridge map from FE6
Chapter 1 of Genealogy
Lyn

True, it was kind of the beginning of the end, but at least Sacred Stones had somewhat interesting maps and the goal of every mission wasn't to kill everyone and it didn't seem like the grinding had as much of an emphasis as it would have later on.

Did anybody translate Shouzou Kaga's new game yet?

they also remade the first and third games
spoiler alert: they were total shit

They were fine, fairly faithful remakes. Ugly as fuck, though.

12 was good and 11 was at least okay.

You shut your whore mouth.

I disagree, the GBA games are far more aesthetically pleasing.

nice forced maymay made to derail conversation fag

if you dont think thats ugly wtf is wrong with you

That was fucking ugly a decade ago and it's ugly now.

its fucking horrible user whats wrong with you

the games is fine but its a waste of Shirow´s talent not to have him desing the battle sprites

Fuuin wasn't terrible, but you could tell they had no idea what to do with the series after Kaga left, and then we got the god awful Rekka where on top of being easy as fuck in general, you got the self-insert bullshit, an unskippable 10 stage handholdy as fuck tutorial, and the overpowered as hell "bonus" Lords. The series just went downhill from there, barring the two DS remakes, though Shin Ankokuryuu did suffer from a godawful RNG.

The art for the game was good, but 3D is always PD.

It's why I love the GBA ones. That pixel artstyle is just gorgeous and unnecessary flashy moves on a critical is quite humorous.

whats the best game in the series

The first one you played.

Zeph will forever be my favourite antagonist as a force to fight against. As a character he got jack shit on Arvis.

Don't forget the nu-fanbase that defended Fate's censorship and helped it succeed in hugely in sales.

Keep telling yourself that, (1).

I miss those crit animations.

It's Marduk now.

Anyone got an infograph with the best version of each game?

There's only one version of each game really - the remakes for Marth's games are pretty different in their own ways: Monsho cut chapters and characters while introducing dismounting, while Shin Ankokuryuu and Shin Monsho removed dismounting but added class changing.

I just hope Fire Emblem Warriors features the old Lords and a couple of favorite characters. If it's SHADOW DRAGON/AWAKENING/FATES (featuring some older schmuck Lords only grandpas like :P) Warriors, then fuck that game.

Just give me Nephenee/Nino/Cormag on 3D, man.

HEY GUYS JUST WANTED TO REMIND YOU THAT AWAKENING SAVED THE SERIES

DID I MENTION THAT AWAKENING SAVED THE SERIES

HEY DID YOU HEAR AWAKENING SAVED THE SERIES

HEY LOOK IT'S THINGS YOU REMEMBER

YOU LIKE THINGS YOU REMEMBER

BUY A FIGMA OF THINGS YOU REMEMBER

DID YOU BUY THE AMIIBO, FIGMA, AND REMAKE OF THINGS YOU REMEMBER

YOU REALLY SHOULD REMEMBER THOSE THINGS YOU REMEMBER

REMEMBER GAIDEN

OH MAN I REMEMBER GAIDEN WHEN IT WAS SHILLED IN AWAKENING

DID I MENTION AWAKENING SAVED THE FRANCHISE

I WON'T LET YOU FORGET ABOUT GAIDEN THOUGH

HEY GUYS DID YOU UPBOAT ALL THOSE THINGS YOU REMEMBER

HEY LOOK IT'S ANNA YOU REMEMBER ANNA

Fucking kill me. I wanted the newfags to leave but they didn't. I wanted the muh localization fags to leave as well but they're still around. I wanted the waifufags and face touchers to hang but their necks are looking a little too pristine. Fire Emblem is fucking Pokemon now. Kill me already.

In terms of sales, Awakening did save the series. The head of the franchise said so himself. But again, that brought in the newfags and with how much they dumbed it down, it was readily accessible to them. They don't care about the older titles because they're too hard.

It's like the time of the internet before big social media moved in, the chans were a lawless mess, you have flashes on newgrounds and the average normalfag had to find a community to fit in. With facebook and the like, it was never easier for your mother to go onto the internet and preach how much she loves Christ and promises to give up drinking, even though it helps her through the day.

That apologist bullshit of "but it really did save the series" needs to stop. FE12 met the set goal of 250k sales and it only released in Japan. There was zero chance of a worldwide release not reaching what was needed to continue the franchise. They lowballed because the 3DS was floundering at the time but we all saw how that turned around.

So what you're saying is; Awakening saved the 3DS.
Thanks Fire Emblem!

Awakening was my first game in the series. I tried Fates through CFW, but I got bored quickly. later last year on vacation, I ended up buying a GBA Fire Emblem cartridge. I wanted to see what the old games were like. I enjoyed it a lot, but I can see the gap in difficulty between FE7 and FE:A now. Have I sinned the FE series?

Advertising their fucking games saved the 3DS.

Saint Elimine forgives you my child, for not only have you sought to understand the history of Fire Emblem by playing the previous titles, you recognise the difference between them as well.

Goddamn, that second image proves the point so well. SWINGWINGWINGWING
SLAM
ATTACK

my only real question now is will Fire Emblem Echoes be worth my money, or should I just CFW it anyway?

Depends if the translation gets butchered I guess.

The thing that pisses me off the most personally is also the fact that FE isn't even that hard.
Awakening was just a complete joke in terms of difficulty.

What does a translation have to do with anything?

If you position your units well and know what you're doing, it really is easy. Although I've had the odd Pegasus knight or healer die because I didn't see that archer had a longbow.

You want another quality translation like Fates turned out, with memes and the like? One of the support conversations between two assassins was just pure ellipses, while the original had them properly talking.

So I dont need to fear any censorship and just emulate?

The worst part was how awful the top end difficulties were and how they highlight how broken the game was. Since there's no strategies other than lowman enemy phase tanking the only way they could make the game harder was by adding more stats and peppering in broken skills. This is why I don't give Conquest any shit. CQ Lunatic is one of the best designed difficulties in the series.

People here are still up in arms about muh localization. Like the fucking localization changed the main stories or the gameplay. B-but muh supports! But muh face touching! On the day of the rope the TD faggots will hang just like the newfags.

I mean why are you ever buying any localizations ever? Just play the real game.

As long as you're getting the original Japanese, no need to worry about censorship.

Just play the original. I don't know why you'd ever play any Japanese game in English, especially one as word-heavy as Fire Emblem.

FE was never really good.

He'll always be Murdock to me.

I love how the TD and Gamergate faggots got upset when people told them to learn Japanese if accuracy was so important to them. We've had Japanese learning threads on Holla Forums for this long specifically to encourage people to learn a new and useful skill to make their gaming experiences richer. But nah, fuck you Jeff Gerstmann.

He was Murdock for the FE7 script. No mobileshit is going to change that.

It's unfortunate that people refuse to do their jobs properly, but it's also the reality. Fuck them and play the real game.

Pretty much. Censorship and the like shouldn't have to be problems, but the reality is that localization is cancer and your only hope is to skip the middleman and just learn to read video games.

I agree that learning another language is the easiest option at this point but it wouldn't surprise me if localizers got pissy enough about getting called on their shit and tried to get some agreement to restrict importing of foreign language games after they were licensed to try to control the amount of people who could actually get a non butchered copy of the game.

Pretty sure it's already technically illegal, since games often have something along the lines of 本品は日本国内だけの販売 or FOR SALE ONLY IN JAPAN on them, but no one's going to care enough to enforce it. Either way, the answer is always to deny localization money - don't buy their shit for any reason.

Hey Holla Forums, pick 3 portraits from here for me to splice

rules
that's it

Old Eliwood, Sad Eliwood, and Seth.

Why? She's cute.

Bors, Gilliam, and Moulder should be a fun one.

I only finished 7 so far, but the best class so far is the pegasus knight.

That's my impression anyway.
Florina best.

Florina, Fiora, Farina.

That takes me back. Show of hands, how many of you faggots actually attempted to start your own romhack and either lost interest or gave up out of frustration?

NuFE is literally when Kaga left and when Japan tried to kill FE after the the poor reception from 6-10. No marriage or kids = no buy in Japan because of the taste they had with 4.

All the sisters are pretty good, I like Farina but I've got a soft spot for Florina.
Pegasus knights stuff from a few things though. They suffer from low strength and HP in the beginning, meaning that an archer or two can take them out. You'll need to feed them kills early and if they fumble the first few level ups, it's going to be tough going till you get the next one.
They also suffer from low consitution, meaning that if a LV1 Florina holds an Iron Spear, she'll slow down simply because she doesn't have the strength to carry it. That's why most Knights come with the thin spear instead.

That being said though, they can fly almost anywhere, are unhinded by terrain, generally have good speed, meaning if they can use an iron spear properly, they'll be twice attacking in no time. They also have higher resistance than the Wyvern rider to magic, which allows them to absorb more hits from mages.

Their triangle attack is not worth using though, as bringing three knights onto one map is a waste of slots that can be used for other units.

I never made any myself, but I do remember a hack that had a lot of EliwoodxLyn shipping, with the plot twist being that Lyn was actually a trap. I can't remember what it was called, though.

*Fiora I meant. Always get those two mixed up.

I was involved with some of the more major romhacks back in the day, hacking FE probably got me into programming and games on a technical level.
Despite this, the old FE community is not something I'm proud to have been a part of; what a den of autism that was.

Added to the list
There's just not much you can do with her

That's a load of shit, the post Kaga ones sold well enough.

I'm working on one with a group. Not gonna name it but it's actually been on a steady track for the past year or so.

Just confess your sins and admit you had something to do with The Last Promise

ike is the best lord
but hector has the best game :^)

Nigger please. 7 blew its load in terms of story midway through and just had you fuck around in Bern for a bit

So much potential for a big conspiracy plot and they do nothing with it. Hector a best tho

Any anons planning to vote in the Heroes daily thing?
So far I've put down Ike and Titania.

Good taste, I voted for Elise and Black Knight

STOP

Nah, this was before then, I remember RD hadn't been out for that long.

Western romhacks tended to be conversions full of spliced portrait OC doughnut steels and characters from other series if they could manage a sprite. Part of the reason being that tools were terrible to work with, maps especially were a huge ordeal to create, so many people didn't bother. Almost all the impressive stuff was by Chinese/Japanese hackers who knew their way around GBA programming enough to impliment things like canto and skills. Slowly that stuff started to trickle back to us poor peasants in the West, but it always introduced some instability to begin with a modified JP rom. There were of course some neat romhacks here and there, I remember a bunch of guys were remaking FE4 in the GBA engine, it looked neat, but I think the project died, last I heard.

What's your ROMhack like, user? I'm interested in seeing what's out there now.

Almost all the impressive stuff was by Chinese/Japanese hackers who knew their way around GBA programming enough to impliment things like canto and skills. Slowly that stuff started to trickle back to us poor peasants in the West, but it always introduced some instability to begin with a modified JP rom. There were of course some neat romhacks here and there, I remember a bunch of guys were remaking FE4 in the GBA engine, it looked neat, but I think the project died, last I heard.

Things have gone far in western ROM hacking, namely the use of Event Assembler to do basically everything without having to use Kikexitor's tools. Give these vids a watch some time

youtube.com/watch?v=6IMkVBE3DFM

youtube.com/watch?v=alWcpcPci04

(The quality on the second one fluctuates)

One FE4 project died, another took it's place. It's going along alright from what I hear

see vid, won't disclose what I do specifically but I've been very involved with it since it started to take form

So if FE12 had gotten a western release, wouldn't that have "saved the series" instead? And be blamed instead of Awakening?

Hector-coptor?

Gheb
Dozla
Lyn

Confession time:
I grew up on the SNES, but the FE games were never available where I lived. I played through shit like FF4, FF6, Secret of Mana, Earthbound, etc., and my first FE game wasn't until Awakening. Sorry.

I thought the tactics were great, but I didn't care much for the waifu shit.

With that said, what are the best FE games for the SNES? And how do they compare to something like Der Langrisser? Any recommended order? Why? Sorry for all the questions, I'd simply like to see the series at its highest point.

Fire Emblem never had an international release and only had a tiny cult following in the West until the release of FE7 on the GBA, so don't hold not playing the SNES/SFC ones against yourself.

The only games on the SFC are Genealogy of the Holy War (FE4) and its side story Thracia 776 (FE5) which chronicles an uprising that takes place in the middle of 4's campaign. They're both great, 4 is generally considered to be the best game in the series and one of the best games on the system in my opinion. 5 is probably the most involved game mechanically and in very punishing.

Thanks. I'll grab those up and give them a whirl.

Does FE Gaiden Remake have Dindus in it like Fates?

There are niggers in fates?

Dinduism goes beyond race.

The best SNES Fire Emblem game is widely regarded as being Genealogy of the Holy War, which is fairly different from Der Langrisser, and most Strategy RPGs in general even other Fire Emblem games. The most notable things about it are the gigantic maps(each one representing an entire country) and the generational thing where most of your units in the first half of the game are able to pair up and have kids, who then become your units in the second half the game. You have to be careful how you pair them up though because what kind of stats the kids have is effected by what parents they had. For example, in my first playthrough I paired up this cleric girl with a mage boy, and they had two kids, a cleric and a horseback archer. While the cleric turned out great, the archer was incredibly weak because neither of his parents had any skills in physical combat. There are also some holy weapons that the kids can use if they're descended from a certain bloodline, which is another thing you have to keep in mind when pairing 1st gen characters up.

The other two SNES games are Mystery of the Emblem and Thracia 776. Mystery of the Emblem is a partial remake and partial sequel of the first FE game on the NES. Some people think it's outdated compared to later games in the series, but I like quite a bit. It's the best version of the original story in my opinion and it did have some interesting mechanics, such as the ability to have mounted units dismount and fight on foot. Thracia 776 is good and has the deepest mechanics in the series, but the RNG in that game will rape your boipucci like a black man in prison.

Genealogy of the Holy War is the only one I'd put in the tier as Der Langrisser, but the other two are still fun, maybe Bahamut Lagoon-tier.

Why are you showing him the chapter 2 map? That's the least fun map in the game.

It's the only one I could find on image seach.

The way the maps are all perfectly scaled to each other never fails to impress me.

4 is one of those games many people suggest playing with a guide open, since there are events triggered by having a specific character stand on a specific tile with little in the way of hints. The eugenics stuff in Awakening was also inspired by this game, so there are pairings to make.
I don't think guides should ever be used on a first play-through and the game's easy enough that it's not necessary anyway unless you really want to powergame.

Just know that each woman in your party will have children who's stats and skills are influenced by your choice of husband for her, characters who stand adjacent to one-another earn love points and will eventually get married. Be careful with the dancer since the immediately obvious husband produces comically worthless results. Other than that it's actually quite hard to screw yourself over.

I completely for got about this game for some reason. It's also very much worth playing if you want traditional FE.

Shouldn´t Silesia be more snowy?

I was going to help write for one but that fell through and I have no idea what happened with it. I kinda miss those days.

Shit sucks man.

Huh, I never knew what constitution was for.
Really, the only danger I ever faced with them were the archers and that was mostly early on. I feel that Florina hit 20 for me very early on, on that pirate boat after which you can get Fiora.
I also gave them most of the stat increasing items.

I'd fill my group with nothing but them if I could.

By the way, in which order do you fags think these games should be played?
Like I said, I only played 7 so far and liked it.

From 1 onwards in numerical order.

In my opinion the only strict sequences are 4->5 and 9->10. 6 can just as well be played as a sequel, besides it's not all that good anyway, 3 is self-contained, and the rest are one-offs or remakes.

Maybe in an ideal world. FE1 feels pretty miserable today and so does the remake, the only version worth playing is FE3. Even if you're starved for more I'd recommend Tear Ring Saga over OGFE.

I just played it a couple years ago for the 25th anniversary and had a ton of fun. It has it's quirks and the interface is horribly outdated to be sure, but I honestly think the best way to appreciate the series as a whole is to play it from the start so you can appreciate how it's changed, both for better and for worse.

good taste

it doesn't look that bad, but it's still worse than the gba sprites

I'm not a fan of playing games with guides, etc. - I just prefer to dive in and have the events/pairings write themselves out of utility and circumstance.

Are there any translated roms floating around for FE4? Or will I need to patch an original?

Zigludo
Mage Knight
Dark Knight
Eldigan
muthafucking Hawk, yes the substitute
my main nigga Arvis
Chapter 10 in Anya Oukoku, it's a good ass map.
embed
>favorite waifu
see favorite playable character

Grab a nip rom and use one of these patches. If one doesn't work, use the other. It's the best translation available.
mediafire.com/download/vkd5d5f0o01n60u/project_naga_beta_7.zip

6 works better if played first I feel. 7 doesn't have a real connection to 6 besides some characters here and there. Also fuck your shit 6 is top GBAFE

GBA FEs were cancer, FE4 had amazing plot and characters strangely similar to A song of ice and fire and noone played the Telius FEs

thus far, 7, but thracia and holy war might take that spot once I finish them
Lyn/Hector. I do have a soft spot for marth though mostly because I happen to be a smashfag
If lord doesn't count, I surprisingly get the most enjoyment out of my snipers. Don't get me wrong, I love other promoted units, but snipers always had a special place in my heart. Despite the hardship I experience with most archers in early game, making them into long ranged killing machines is so fun. Honorable mention to myrmidon/swordmaster
probably est
probably est
Not really sure. There are far too many good ones to count. If I had to pick, I was most scared of losing linde when I played through mystery.
Final? Of the ones I encountered thus far, I guess mediuth. For penultimate/lesser bosses, maybe Camus
Strike
from what I've experienced, if she's got green hair, she's a good girl
I thought it would have been cooler to have Murdock be an ally in 7, rather than vaida.

So what's the fuss about the remake of 2? I know 11 and 12 were meh (especially in the department of aesthetics), but It doesn't look as bad this time around. That being said, what was original gaiden like? I know it had a very different or at least somewhat unique gameplay when compared to the other titles.

Yeah, I'm not sure why whoever made that left it green.

Are any of those translations complete? The one I played 4 with turned to gibberish after I killed Julian at the end.

It was pretty similar to the first game, but it also had areas where you could walk around and interact with people/things between battles, like in a standard JRPG.

Anyone know of any games similar to Fire Emblem that they'd recommend?
Advance Wars but with characters.

Der Langrisser, Just Breed, Bahamut Lagoon, Vandal Hearts 1 and 2, and of course Tear Ring Saga, which made by the guy who created Fire Emblem after he left Nintendo.

Super Robot Wars

Oh shit I thought that was still WIP.
THanks man!

SRW is the crowning achievement of the Japanese race.

The translation was just finished last November.

I just ran across this, so I thought I might point it out.
srpgstudio.com/

SRPG Studio, developed by Shouzou Kaga, the original creator of Fire Emblem.
Windows-only, Japanese-only.
But might be of interest to some of you.

Yeah this one is 100%

I think the original Gaiden was quite enjoyable on its own right up until the forest maze. I didn't sign up for this.

This.

Too bad fan translations take forever to complete and the recent English-Asia release of OG Moon Dwellers was Chinese bootleg quality.

You know it

But it's already in Japanese, just like every other video game.

You niggers need to end this meme. Children are awful no matter which game they're in. FE4 climaxed at the end of Gen 1 and never recovered because the characters you encounter afterwards are all boring teenagers with zero personal history other than some of them living with their mother before something happens to her. The gameplay is fucking awful. The big maps mean anyone without a horse or the Leg Ring is shit out of luck. Also Sigurd trivializes gen 1 and a properly inherited Celice trivializes gen 2. Unit balance in general is awful. The only reason to use units other than Sigurd or Levin is if you want to take out those 37 different variations on boss unit + 10 mooks in a single turn instead of letting them kill themselves on one super unit. I also hope you like backtracking cuz boy oh boy there's a lot of it. Big maps means lots of ground to cover which means you're going to spend a good five turns getting back to the next path.

All this said, I do respect the balls FE4 had for doing what it did. The gameplay/story integration was fantastic, and while the story peters out in gen 2 what you get in gen 1 is some of the most compelling stuff in the series (though Tellius has a much better story overall).

FE3 and FE5 are much better games though. FE3 is a classic and everyone should play it. It's the purest FE game that exists and is the baseline for all of the good FE games after it. FE5 went back to FE3's gameplay but with tons of new mechanics, great graphics, and absurdly good level design. People bitch too much about FE5's difficulty and muh RNG but in terms of pure FE it's probably the best. THe mechanical depth and design are just too fucking good.

TRS is pretty great. I don't like the addition of grinding and monsters but the story is pretty great. Holmes doesn't really go anywhere but Runan's half of the game is 10/10.

The gameplay is like if FE2 and FE5 had a baby and the FE2 genes didn't render it retarded.

I never had this problem. Sure the mounted units usually got to the action first, but my main force was always the foot soldiers. Actually the unit I used most in the second half of the game was Shanon, and he didn't even a leg ring on. Maybe try splitting your army and not tackling one thing at a time or something?

What do you mean? Are you saying they're overpowered? Because there are stronger units than them in both generations.

Welcome to Fire Emblem

This is another problem I never had. There were a few units I rarely used, like the armored guy in gen one(I rarely use armored units in any of the games), but I found the vast majority of them to be useful.

Again, try splitting your units up going after more than one thing at once. It's not hard to tell when and where the next objective will be, so have a group of units wait by where it's going to be while you have the rest of your army go after the current objective, that way they're right there so you don't have to move your entire army all the way back. Or in cases like chapter 9, just have the mounted units attack the second castle while the foot units wear down the first one(or repel the wyvern assault.) You actually have to do it that way to recruit that general and his cleric son.

You'd have to play like a retard to not have your mounted units wipe everything out before your foot units could even get to the enemy. Sigurd rips everyone apart, Cuan, Finn, and Lex help to thin hordes out on the player phase, and then when Cuan leaves you're left with Fury with Finn's Brave Lance, Levin with the Leg Ring, and a promoted Lex to clean up what Sigurd isn't critting to death thanks to his most likely 50 killed Silver Sword. The only foot unit that does anything other than the obvious Levin is Ira thanks to her Brave Sword and need to be stapled to Lex for some time.

There isn't a unit in the entire series that's as broken as Sigurd. The only unit that comes close is Seth. Immediately OHKOs everything he comes across, never falls off, can effectively solo his chapters thanks to lord status not needing to cart around a low move chump, never runs out of gold thanks to his ability to rip up the arena and get all the villages, and leads the charge so hard he ends up getting most of the village rewarded rings making his already great stats even better. It's absurd you'd say there's a unit better than Sigurd in gen 1. If you say Levin I'm going to laugh.

As far as Celice goes there's a reason the best prep for gen 2 is the Paragon Ring, Leg Ring, and all of the stat rings Sigurd accumulated. Once he promotes he snowballs and turns into Sigurd 2. He's easy to get going as well since none of the units you get in chapter 6 need the experience. Skasher and Lakche with Lex as their father end up getting enough on the residuals that Celice doesn't kill on his first few turns and through the arena. Once Celice promotes you can toss his Paragon Ring into the pawn shop for Leif to buy and the cycle of turning a foot into a horse unit begins anew. I will give you that Celice isn't the best unit in gen 2 unless you set up his inheritance correctly, but there's no reason not to.

As for unit usability, they're all obviously usable for the purpose I described. I prefer getting things done fast without lowmanning so I use them all as well. But no one really shines on the battlefield other than the mounted units and the ones with holy weapons. Most of the cast just ends up helping with those big groups so I can get to the boss faster.

The backtracking is most apparent in chapters 2 and 4. Thove is the absolute worst section of any FE in my opinion. The Return Ring makes it better, but if you lowman with Sigurd and someone to sit on Thove to stop the Pegasus Knights and use the ring to return you've just left most of your units doing nothing for most of a chapter. Unless you like sending them through forests lowering their movement only to send them back down through the same forests to get them back. Chapter 2 isn't so bad since you can just use Ethlin's Return staff to send Sigurd back after the second castle and to get Levin to Fury. It also gets better in gen 2 since you can grab the Return staff for Nanna and then toss it to Leif once he promotes. But that fucking stretch of Ch4. Jesus.

FE4's story is pretty spartan the whole way through, it's the greater plot arc and a couple of key moments chapter 5 that resonate strongly with fans. It's hardly the children's fault that they're somewhat underdeveloped. This is the main reason that I'm hopeful for a remake to flesh everything out with support conversations and other fluff.

Complaining about unit balance in a Fire Emblem game is pissing into the wind. Gen2 may have the worst balance in the entire series, but part of the reason I find FE4 so fun is that it takes this imbalance to absurd heights and gives you some customisation to play around with. It's impossible to be under the impression that you're playing a tough strategic simulation when there's a weapon that gives +20 speed available from the first mission. Sometimes it's fun to indulge in power gaming, there's always the substitute characters who actually make for a pretty interesting campaign.

Unmounted units may be close to worthless if you're pursuing a low turn-count, but so is 60% of the cast in the other games for various reasons. Foot troops are usable enough on a causal playthrough, with the exception of the gen1 armour knight who is just too slow. The arena is also there to ensure that no one falls too far behind the level curve, I'm really suprised none of the other games have used something similar, it was a great idea.

FE5 is great, but to claim that it's an example of amazing balance in contrast to 4 is crazy. The later missions are full of long range sleep staves and tricks that you better know are coming because you're given almost no time to react.

I've never wanted to strangle someone long distance more than I do right now.

Because having a dominant strategy be as dominant as rushing things down with a small group of mounted units is so fun. It's why Sacred Stones is a great game right? Right? Mounted units are always better, but there have been games designed around neutering them or incentivizing other unit types. FE5 is one of them thanks to forced dismounting indoors. RD makes a small swing at mounted units by hitting their skill points by making Canto cost 10 points and having their caps be low across the board to make infantry more desirable in the tower. They also give you more infantry that's actually stronger than the mounted units statistically.

And that jab at FE5 being imbalanced due to sleep staves completely misses my point about unit balance. Sleep staves are a challenge to be fought against. Having the game's basic map design (fuckhuge distances) favor mounted units so heavily and having units that just murder anyone and everyone makes the game less diverse. FE5 has one of the most balanced rosters in the series thanks to them ripping the flier and mountie security blanket out from under you, everyone having caps of 20, your early game units being absent for a couple of chapters after Leif gets captured (which prevents them from snowballing as quickly as early units in other games), assignable skills through books and weapons, crusader scrolls helping with growths, and an immaculate acquisition curve. The only unit that's truly broken is Sety and you only have him for three chapters at the end of the game. So fuck off with this "oh but FE5 is imbalanced!" bullshit.

Someone in the other thread suggested that maybe IS are trying to recapture their old core fans who have been left out in the cold by Awakening and If with the Gaiden remake. It remains to be seen if there's even a shred of truth to that, or if it ends up being a bastardisation, but for now I'd like to believe.

My point is that there's more than one way to enjoy a game, FE isn't a series I typically play for balance or nuanced strategy. Some of the games are better than others in this regard and I agree that 5 is probably the best designed (even though I know the universal stat cap earned a lot of people's ire), but being imbalanced does not invalidate a game's other merits. I still find FE4 one of the most engaging, even if optimal gameplay really boils down to 'smash your cavalry into the enemy block and behold the slaughter'. In my opinion strategy games are at their best when short and long term success and consequences are intermixed, while FE has had this from the start in the form of unit progression and permadeath, 4 and 5 took it in other directions, which is why I find them to be the most compelling games in the series. It's also why, even though I think TRS is a good game, I don't often get excited about it; Kaga had already proven himself to be a good designer, but it never felt like he was doing more than resting on his laurels with that game.

As for 5's balance, there are different types of challenges and sleep staves are one of the least interesting from a player's perspective, there are very few ways to work around them other than using valuable recovery staves or just pushing through with less units. The hard limits on a single unit's strength, maintaining equipment and necessity of maintaining a diverse force-pool gives each chapter in FE5 enough challenge that the bishop sitting in a protected little alcove on the other side of the map can feel a bit insulting. That said, it's one of my favourite games.

They picked the exact wrong game to recapture old fans. The only faggots FE2 will please are the ones who started with FE8 or were wondering what Valm was all about in Awakening. So pretty much only newfags who started with Ambassador or Awakening.

No one should care about the caps in FE5. It's one of those things people don't realize was the standard set by FE3. FE4 was the odd one in this regard.

My problem is when the optimal strategy is also the easiest and the first thing a player could think of when starting it up for the first time. Sigurd wrecks, who needs the scrubs? Well you don't need the scrubs. The floor and the ceiling shouldn't be so close.

As for the sleep staff, it's there to hog a staffer's turn that they could be doing other things and punishing players for overextending. I'm pretty sure you can also silence it which gives that staff a use.

Or, you know, just don't have mounted units hog all the experience from killing enemies. You're supposed to take time and build up at least a handful of characters in the earlier levels, so that by the time you get to around chapter 3 you have a decent amount of powerful units. That way you don't have to have just 2 or 3 super units complete every objective one at a time, which will take much more time in the long run than making sure experience points are distributed relatively equally among 9 or 10 units.

This isn't even unique to FE4. Giving all the experience points and stat boost items to 2 or 3 characters in any of the games will result in what you are talking about, it's just less apparent because the maps are smaller so it takes less time to only complete one objective at time. I once did a run of Path or Radiance where I only used Ike, Titania, and Zihark, and had the same results that you had with Sigurd and Levin.

I know this isn't related to FE4, but Seth is kind of mediocre. He starts out strong, because he starts pre-promoted at the beginning of the game, but later on his usefulness really starts to wane. All Jeigen archetype characters are like that, though I will admit he is the best Jeigen. He's the only one I use for combat.

Only if you have him hog most of the experience points and stat boost items, which like I said earlier, has a lot of consequences in the long run.

Personally I think Aira(or Ira or Ayla or however you spell it) is a better unit, because she dodges much more than Sigurd, has a higher crit rate, and has the pursuit skill where Sigurd doesn't(I guess you could give him the pursuit ring, but you could also just give Aira the leg ring and end up with the same pursuit + high movement range unit.)

Nigga what? All the characters in that chapter need experience, except maybe the paladin. I forget his name. Also, it's not a good idea to breed Aira with Lex. Breed her with Hoylen if you want to see what broken units really look like.

Then you should take the time to level up a decent amount of characters at the beginning. I know that makes the first chapter or two take longer, but like I said above, it makes the game less tedious in the long run.

I won't even try to defend that. Even when you have units right by the battle, they still block them with those neutral units and make you wait and watch those pegasus knights get slaughtered.

WRONG. SRW IS MEANT TO BE EXPERIENCED IN
GRORIOUS ENGRISH

You don't take time and build up multiple units through combat in FE4. You can keep every unit caught up through the arena, but when you're in the field it's a race to beat the Barbarian timers. You don't beat those timers using Azel and Ira while ignoring Sigurd and Lex.

And holy shit how can you be this wrong about Seth? He's not even close to mediocre. He's the only unit that gives Sigurd a run for his money. Seth has insane combat that never falls off. His averages at cap are still more than high enough to double all relevant enemies up until the end of the game. Unless you're being a retard and grinding no other unit has as much value as Seth. This is made a big deal due to FE8 being short and enemies being so weak that you're stupid if you don't promote everyone early. Even the golden boy Franz being promoted at 15/1 only beats Seth in speed and HP on average. From there Seth's growths are better across the board. And this is Franz, a fucking great unit. But you get a 15/1 Franz at the beginning of the game and he never falls off. I bet you think Marcus is worthless.

There is literally zero consequence for hogging stat rings and EXP. Oh no my Noish didn't get a kill, what a loss. And for fuck's sake, hogging all the stat boosters is actually the best case scenario since Celice gets the boost he needs to promote early in gen 2 and thus become a second Sigurd as soon as possible. It's why you give Sigurd as many stat rings as possible, the leg ring, the paragon band, and preferably the brave sword. Oh no if I let Celice steamroll how will Lester ever catch up? Surprise, Lester is shit and won't contribute one tenth of what a snowballed Celice will.

Ira is a good unit. She's invaluable in chapter 1 for helping to kill the barbarians if you choose not to have Sigurd solo that section (which mostly helps preserve Sigurd's Silver Sword). But a better unit than Sigurd? Fuck off with that nonsense. Sigurd has Pursuit by the way. The Pursuit ring goes to Ethlin to pass down to Leif to help him snowball into a juggernaut in gen 2.

You're getting more retarded as you go on. Dermott, Lester, non-Levin Arthur, and the Jojo brother you choose are all garbage and eat exp that could go to Celice. Also Ira/Lex salvages the only footlock kids that are worth a damn by sticking Paragon and Vantage onto children with innate Pursuit. Holyn's only real contribution is giving Skasher his swords which isn't really worth losing Paragon. Lex's only other pairings are essentially gimmicks and Holyn is a better father for Patty and Faval.

Also you're implying I haven't built up every unit at least once. I wouldn't speak so authoritatively had I not played the game enough to see how wrong you are.

After everything you just said I'm starting to doubt you've played any of the games for more an hour at the most.

*more than an hour

I don't think so, the first thing someone sees starting the game up is noticing they can use all of their units. The prologue sets it up where you have a time limit until all the villages burn up, so you have to divide your team instead of deploying Sigurd and only Sigurd like you would if you're in your 10th playthrough and going through the motions. A first time player would raise their units or face the consequences later because they don't know squat, they can't optimize like you are implying.

Gilliam is hard to use

Same with the Peg sisters

Sure thing bucko. I haven't been playing these fucking games for 15 years or anything. Please tell me again how Ira is a better unit than Sigurd or how Ira/Lex is bad or how Seth is a mediocre unit. Tell me, is Ewan your favorite unit in FE8? Zealot is such a bad unit. He's a prepromote who hogs EXP that could be spent on Wendy.

Anyway, I'm speaking from a playstyle that doesn't waste a bunch of time. I'm not going to hobble myself because I want to spread EXP around to units that will never contribute. In some games there's a good argument to be made for getting certain kind of meh units to 10 to insta-promote and make chapters easier short term before dropping them later, but that's not the same as giving experience to units like Midir who don't contribute. FE4 is a game that rewards fast play by punishing slow play. It's one of the easiest games in the series for snowballing units to victory and lowmanning.

I'd think they would see Sigurd moves farther and kills enemies outright in a single turn while Noish and Alec need to double team the early mooks. Then you get Cuan and Finn who also need to double team the mooks. Meanwhile Sigurd is tromping his way down the road killing everyone but the Hand Axe users on EP. Oh hey what's that Lex gains exp faster than everyone else? That's neat. Oh man it looks like he's the only one who can potentially kill the far west barbarians in time, better use him.

It's not like BEXP dumping on Marcia or Jill in FE9. That's a way to completely break the game that newbies probably wouldn't intuit based on how the BEXP system works at a glance. You start spending more and more per level and you only get a certain amount per chapter? Better not use it up since I might need it later, just like that Dracoshield and Energy Drop sitting in the convoy not being used.

Holyn is a rather poor paring for Aira, especially compared to Lex which is second only to Levin/Tiltyu for creating totally dominant children.
With Holyn, Aira's children end up with huge (>100% iirc) skill growth, and relatively mediocre growths otherwise compared with other gen2 units. this would be entirely workable, considering their skills if not for the fact that Sunlight Sword and Moonlight Sword cannot proc on the same hit, nor can Sunlight proc on any of Moonlight's additional hits. One of the better skills in the game ends up being a poor consolation prize Neither of the children can ordinarily wield Balmung either, despite having major holy blood.
With Lex they receive pursuit, elite, solid strength and defence, and will still have high enough skill to reliably trigger Moonlight.

Seth's not a Jeigan.

Yes he is, it's just that Jeigans aren't as bad for combat as most people think. Jeigan himself isn't even that bad and has a ton of early game value, especially in FE11. Seth is the best out of any unit in the archetype but he fits the mold perfectly. Early game pre-promoted Paladin who functions as an advisor.

Thinking Jeigans are bad is a total noob trap.

They're basically a crutch for newer players to use, but like Seth and Titania, they actually have good enough growths to remain viable till endgame.

I thought he was an oifey or whatever.

>All references to Alvis cucking Sigurd are ……. out.

fuck you

But in all seriousness, have you seen the amount of respect being put in Echoes? The ballsy 1-5 archer range is in. The shitty exp gain is in. Fuck you those are features.
I'd take all of the localization being a shitjob as long as it meant the base game had new interactions and conversations, I miss the cast so much and all of them could really shine with the sheer amount of supplemental material Kaga shat out afterwards. Remember: You CAN learn Japanese.

That looks a lot better than what I imagined.

Then why do you play in a style that forces you to backtrack constantly because only one of your units is strong enough to fight enemies higher than level 10? Doesn't that get tedious?

True, but because of their high skill they almost always trigger one of the two on every single time they attack(which is usually three times per turn), which will kill almost anything you put them up against.

>All references to Alvis cucking Sigurd are ……. out.
It's current year+2, user. Cuckolding is the one thing they'd leave in.

What the fuck are you talking about?

I don't get why people even talk about the foreign versions as if they're meaningful. You can talk about balance issues and the fact that modern FE is too easy, but saying "They shouldn't make this game because the foreigner release will be bad" is stupid. By that argument, any game that might potentially get a foreign release should just not be made.

They need to bring back the ranking system they went all out on in 7. Even if the game was easy, getting a S rank in everything was very damn hard. You couldn't take your time clearing maps. You had to manage budget and couldn't miss certain items in chests. You had to make sure no one ever died either. I personally was never able to S rank Hector Hard Mode.

Radiant Dawn also had a really hard normal mode and an incredibly difficult hard mode. RD is brilliant and retarded in many ways but the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

Jeigans aren't a crutch. They're the most effective tools in your kit for most of the game. Units like Oswin or Gilliam are crutches. They slow you down but don't die. They're there to help players who play very slowly and cautiously. Jeigans are benched later in most games but that's not unlike any other unit. When you get units that are immediately better and don't have enough deployment slots you should probably bench units like Lowen if they aren't contributing as much at that point as the new unit.

The Oifey archetype is a meme. All Jeigans are useful.

You have to backtrack with Sigurd to be able to capture castles. If you want to feed worthless units exp like most of you retards seem to, you'll have to bring them along and spend a bunch of Warp uses to get them back to where they need to be for the next leg of the map. It's the map design that forces backtracking, not my play style. My play style limits the amount of units I have to manage during those sections because that management is the worst part of the game.

Nice reading comprehension there boy-o.

I was pretty clear what I meant.

If you don't understand what I meant, it's because newfags love the games that were inspired by or heavily reference FE2. FE8 is the "I've been playing Fire Emblem since before Awakening, I played Sacred Stones through Ambassador!" game and retards love it for the grinding. FE8 was the first time they dredged up that coffin and it's one of the worst games in the series for it. Awakening referenced FE2 heavily and I don't think I have to explain why newfags would be interested through that. Oldfags don't give a shit about FE2. It was an awful game. The only people who would be pleased with the FE2 remake are the children who are in love with the games that were inspired by it or reference it heavily.

You're pretending to be obtuse. Obviously they care because most of the people in the country they live in will play the foreign version which is made for that country.

What hell have you brought upon us

Does anyone else remember the FE8 romhack starring Gheb? It was low effort shit full of rape jokes and crazy difficulty, but for some reason I played a fair way into it.

Didnt an user play through it around the times before the exodus, it was also happening along with those xcom threads.

Gheb Saga?
Uncomfortable memories of that.

I wish I had seen those threads, all I remember is that Amelia had been relegated to the status of pet loli.

I think I remember a few of those and even attempted it myself but fuck was it a pain to get through.

It turns out there are two, GhebFE and its sequal, Gheb Saga. I wonder if the second is any less terrible, thos screenshots suggest not.

GhebFE doesn't look better.

No, it was just a different kind of game. That's like claiming that oldfags hate Zelda 2 or Ys 3 just because they were different from the first titles.

Why would you care what the normalfags do? Just ignore them and play the actual game like you always do.

But user, that is why most people hate Zelda 2. Despite the fact it's still a solid title that stands on its own merits, stripped of any franchise power, as a good,if not great NES game, so much so that even similar games without the brand name of Zelda are held in high regard as forgotten or overlooked diamonds in the 8-bit rough (Battle of Olympus and Faxanadu come to mind).

It's different from what other FE games are and significantly worse for it. It was a game that was trying to fit Fire Emblem into the usual RPG mold of the time. As a Fire Emblem game it's just awful. As a run of the mill game it's still awful. The remake will tighten it up to be a good run of the mill game but it will still be an awful Fire Emblem game.

But no, Awakening wasn't awful, it was just a different kind of game. That's what you sound like.

Those were panned because they didn't incude any of the innovations from the games that came after the originals (At least, Shadow Dragon was. FE12 wasn't released over here but it was actually a good FE game).

They looked like shit, though.

I can get not liking Awakening, BR and Rev but Conquest has the best map design in the entire series. If you play FE and map design isn't the most important aspect to you, you are doing it wrong.

No one, especially not new fans, defended the Fates games' censorship.

People either didn't care, didn't know, or didn't feel that removing such a small feature was worth missing out on the game over.

I play FE for the incest.

Exactly. Honestly it felt like the only people who cared were GG trying to defend a series they knew nothing about. Especially the people acting like face touching was important. Nothing blew me out of that crowd harder than the faggots acting like they were defending high art.

There is one nigger but he's a boss. His name's Gazak.

Incest is actually in the new game, if you choose to marry Azura.

But Clarine is best incest girl.

I keep hearing this but I am not seeing it. It has some good maps like Chapter 10 but for every single good map there is like 3 shit ones. I admit I only got to chapter 12 before dropping the game so it might have gotten better after that point but fuck it I could not stand another fucking map with another shitty fucking gimmick.

It was better then Awakening give you that but if you consider Conquest to have good map design then I dread to think what Birthright and Revelations were like.

You played 5 chapters of CQ and you think you can accurately judge it?

Thats typically about a fourth of a fire emblem game, dude. 5 straight chapters of shit is a really bad first impression

If a game make me sick of it in it's opening hours yes i can. If the developers can't be bothered to at least make the early game fun why should I fucking bother. Like i said might get better but on top of the game other problems I had no patience for it.

It's 5 out of 31 Conquest exclusive chapters. And hell, chapters 8, 9, and 10 were all great maps. 7 is fairly basic though it does a great job of ramping up the difficulty as the chapter goes on and is incredibly fun on Lunatic. I personally love chapter 11 but I'm willing to admit it's too easy if you go through the Rinkah and Azama rooms and then blindside Kaze's room with Camilla. 10 proved they knew how to design a compelling and fair challenge that ramps up as time passes without just spawning hordes of reinforcements every turn.

I'm not going to say CQ has the best map design in the series but it's still fucking great. Lunatic's balance is fucking immaculate.

It does get better but it also starts really strong. Honestly you read like you wanted to hate it going in. I can understand that but you can't pretend to know what you're talking about when you clearly don't. It's like the faggot who was talking about FE4 earlier and how Ira is a better unit than Sigurd. You can say "I don't like thing" but when you're pretending to know what you're talking about at least try not to seem like a retard. You absolutely can't judge a game on its design by its first 5 chapters.

First part is meant for

As much as I love this series. I'm sad that the Tellius series are one of the only few games in the series that try to actually add in some world building. In most Fire Emblem games I don't even remember what the whole continent map looks like, who comes from where, and where you are in relevance from where you started from. By the time I was done with 10 I knew where every faction game from, the way they run their government, and which countries your characters came from. Even characters like Volug spoke in a different language that wasn't gibberish.

Discussing Awakening with a friend. We were talking about what the hell was even going on with the plot. It's a whole mess of shit. I don't hate the main artist, but all the character designs they make don't flow together well at all. I mean that you wouldn't be able to tell that a person belonged to a certain faction based on what they wore. You could tell which generals were under Ashnard and such. Saying that, I haven't played 4 and 5 yet so I can't say if they do or not.

I really did not. I actually played it a month before it came out in the west so long before the hate train and censorship shit came to light.

The prologue was fucking rushed and terrible but whatever the real game dose not start till chapter 7. I felt nothing for early maps and 11 and 12 were just horrid. 10 was great though I love the bit where the whole map changes half way through and you had to adapt. If the entire camping had maps that were half as good as that one I would have liked the game a hell lot more.

Honestly was going to give the game a second chance after they finished the fan translation to see what the hell I was missing but after they threw a tantrum and cancelled it I just stopped giving a shit. I probably feel a lot more negative about the game now then I did when I played but other then a single hour I can honestly say I was not enjoying it that much.

I played it before the NA release as well and I was trying by best to hate it since I despise Awakening. But I noticed I was having a blast with CQ since the map design and balance were so fucking good. The game won me over when I noticed how smart the changes to the mechanics I hated in Awakening were. Stuff like the way skills aren't locked to specific levels, pairings pay off in ways other than just children by allowing more options through reclassing, pair up guard being measurable instead of random, DLC can be played without injecting a bunch of exp into your resource pool, and a bunch of other shit. The final chapter was also so fucking compelling it made me forget how bad the story was and start up a Lunatic file immediately where I could appreciate the entire game. And I did appreciate the entire game. I think it's high-mid tier as far as rankings go.

I suggest giving it another shot. I ended up hating Awakening more as I replayed it but I really warmed to Conquest as I replayed it. And don't be a baby about the localization. If you got through FE10 you can get through CQ.

Conquest only gets better, for the most part, at Chapter 13. There are a few bad chapters in the late game (though the only two I can think of are the wind tribe and the kitsune chapters), but the majority of the conquest exclusive chapters (so, 7-Endgame) are fantastic.

I will say, though, that Fates's early game chapters (1-6) are pretty boring, except chapter 5 which is pretty fun.

Play Conquest on Lunatic and you will have a blast.

To be clear, the best chapters in Conquest are 8, 10, 13, 21. 24 (which is the best one) and Endgame. That said, most of the other chapters are very good, just not as insanely good as these. I actually think it's strange that you didn't like chapter 12 - the medicine pots were placed very smartly and they weren't random so you could plan your strategy around them.

Chapters 15, 19, and 20 are the worst. Especially 20, what were they thinking?

(CHECKED)
I'm still reeling at the pegasus rider designs, why the fuck do they have hearts everywhere (on their armor and garterbelts), it's ridiculous they're supposed to be the respected royal knights of the kingdom.
I want to say world building is exactly why the Jugdral games get so much praise. There's a lot of extra material to read after finishing too, makes me wish if a remaster is made they include the betrayal of Ledrick and the fall of King Calf in a style similar to how Radiant Dawn made chapters where nonlords were temporarily main characters.

A new team took over and released a 4.0 patch (main story is finished and like 60% of supports), and they make updates to the script every month now. I won't replay it until all the supports are done but I did go through through all of Black Kingdom. My experience was trying taking the story as lightly as possible or outright ignore it. It got really insufferable, and some chapters just feel like retarded filler (fuck the foxes jesus christ) they had to come up with to have the same chapter count as the other paths. The maps themselves were usually good and I actually had to drop to normal mode in the final 2 chapters FUCKING 3 RANGE BOW HALLWAYS AND SWITCHING NINJAS AND EVERY ENEMY HAS THOSE WEREWOLF CLAW SKILLS THAT DOES ADDITIONAL DAMAGE AFTER A FIGHT FUCK OFF just to finally move on to another game. I wish I hadn't given up now.

Animations were great, but people prefer 2D sprites.

Might give it a second chance then. Most certainly giving the story minimal attention this time round because christ is it beyond retarded.

Is Conquest really that good in comparison to Britbong? A friend of mine got me the latter despite my talk of all the stuff I didn't want to support and I think I stopped playing around some map with spike traps the second you move.

I'm not sure how I got that from Birthright but my point still stands.

Birthright still has the systems improvements so for a routfest it's not awful, but CQ is leagues ahead it in every area. Birthright is as vanilla as it gets with map design and that makes it pretty boring all around. I like the cast way more in BR but you lose out on the map design, lack of grinding, and difficulty.

If I had to rank BR it'd be in that position around FE11 and FE8 where I can shit on it any day of the week but I don't hate it enough to gain an erection thinking about how much I despise it like FE2, Awakening, and Revelation. CQ on the other hand is up there with FE6 and FE7 on the scale of "yeah I like this even with its flaws". High mid tier. I like the gameplay that much.

mobile.twitter.com/FE_Heroes_JP
Lyn is the most popular character in the series right now.
13 years and people are still this upset about not being able to marry her.

You always remember your first waifu.

Smashfags have wanted Lyn as a playable fighter since Brawl first came out. Them voting for her to be in the spotlight somewhere isn't surprising at all.

She's taken back her spot as top waifu from Lucina

Y

She always had it

Currently on chapter 10 in conquest, got to the end finally but as the shit continued to hit the fan and I pulled everyone way back, I didn't spot some archers who shot my shit down. Very fun so far.

Are the other Fates expansions worth playing at all? Or are they as bad as I imagined?

Birthright is worth playing if you want more Fates and don't mind it being really boring map wise. Still better than Awakening, but not nearly as good as Conquest. The systems improvements over Awakening and generally decent cast make it not completely awful to play. You might even feel something when you have to fight against the characters you liked from CQ.

Revelation is if you really want more Fates and don't mind eating shit. Heirs of Fate is better than Revelation so play that instead.

I think that's one of Lyn's biggest fears, is that she'll be forgotten. The whole reason she's looking for the Avatar in that Awakening DLC is to ask him do you remember me? But she's not asking the avatar, she's asking the player, do you remember the time we spent together?

Judging by how popular she still is, I'd say alot remember.

It's hard not to be popular when they shove her down your throat and make her talk directly towards the player for like two hours.

Sadly that's kind of all she has going for her.

Have a you. Because (you)'re special.

Meant for

She's a shit unit and not that great of a character. She's pretty decent but she's ruined by the fact that they push her on you and make her talk directly at the screen like you're someone important. And then there's the Smashfags who see her chinadress and think she's a 10/10.

I always forget about Lyn because she's actually irreverent in Eliwood/Hector mode. If it weren't for Rath she wouldn't even have a place in FE6.

Technically she doesn't. She' not mentioned anywhere in FE6, even with Sue.

And people wonder why the series went plummeting downhill in quality.

She didn't exist in 6 period, she was entirely made up for the prequel.

But user, the series spiked in quality with 9/10.

The only good thing about her is the chinadress.

To be fair, I can't speak on Souen/Akatsuki since I don't have a GameCube or Wii, and Souen is currently going for 20 thousand on Amazon, but overall I've heard that they were better than the GBA games but still not as good as Kaga's.

Despite how well-made the Kaga games are, I still prefer the GBA fire emblems. It's hard enough to provide somewhat of a challenge, as well as having the best sprites/artwork in the series.
I haven't gotten to the Wii games, but I hear good things about them as well.
what's stopping you from using dolphin?
Did you use a super famicom to play Mystery or Holy War?

With all this popularity, and her game will get echo'd down the road, I think they will finally get their wish. About time honestly.

Emulate them on Dolphin.

They're both fucking incredible games. Really comparable to Jugdral in world building. Personally I prefer 9/10 over 4/5 just because 4 drags 5 down a bit, but that's personal opinion. 10 is the one that people either love or hate, but that's because they tossed out supports because they wanted to do something more interesting with the main scenario. I couldn't give two shits about supports and the base conversations and main scenario focused on enough characters that it didn't feel like a lesser game story wise, but it's a complaint lots of faggots have.

Back in the day yeah, though now I no longer have a TV that would take SF's inputs, so I'd probably just play the 3DS VC versions.

GameCube emulation is a thing? I doubt my PC would be capable of running it though, but I guess I might as well download the games if I find them for the future if I ever get a machine capable of doing so. How findable are the games? I remember having problems finding PS1 games to run on my PSP because people only uploaded NA or EU versions of games.

Are you jap, beaner, or gook?

I mean, I don't think it matters that much if the versions are NA or EU, since your english seems up to par.

Dolphin is easily the best emulator I've played with, and I've played with a lot of emulators. Shit gets better almost every month and has been near perfect for years. It's GC/Wii in a single emulator. You shouldn't have a problem finding isos.

Jap. My English isn't a problem, but I've long since learned that trusting foreignizations of games is a terrible idea, whether it's Japanese -> English or English -> Japanese.

That hasn't really become much of a problem until recently, really. Sure there's the altering of damns to darns and the like, but from the hundred of screen shots I've seen of FE 9 and 10, the translations seem all right

It's been a problem since the Famicom days, and will continue forever I don't doubt.

Hey, if you don't like any localization, then thats fine. At this point, finding a jap ISO shouldn't be very difficult anyway. Running it shouldn't be so bad either, since I've had friends run non-laggy melee netplay on craptops

The FE localizations usually change shit but it's never really a huge problem. You obviously should play the original if you can, but it's not like they're unplayable in english. People here are way more sensitive about localization than they should be for people who refuse to learn a different language.

Haven't found any yet, but I'll keep my eyes open going forward. Thanks user.

Good hunting, tojo.

Sasuga NoA.

Lilina's VA just feels wrong.

But then again, it IS just mobileshit

Like those digits. And yeah, same with Ninos as well. Jaffar is gonna be pissed that she took a dive.

I'm probably a fag for saying so, but fuck me, those two are what made me love romance and supports in Fire Emblem

They have a screwed up relationship to begin with as well, Nino's a kid who just wants a parental figure in her life and Jaffar wants something warm despite how emotionless he is.

It was a good romantic support. Not saccharine, and they truly needed each other, not only "let's fuck and have babies!"
Eirika x Ephraim was a good incest couple, I like how he teased her or treated her like a child at times. I always imagined that he would start by playing with her, then teasing, and then she's sucking him off.

A shame they're gonna staple the baby mechanics in future games probably, I liked how there were some paired endings that didn't end up married. I was surprised that goddamn Sain would put duty above pussy, let alone royal pussy.

Despite how screwed up it is, I feel like they genuinely cared for each other.
I always wondered what pairings were canon. Most are left in the dark, much like this one. While we know lou and ray's mother is nino, there has been no evidence to suggest whether the father was jaffar or erk. Kinda leaves me a bit dissatisfied, although the fact that I care so much probably means they did it right.

Sain's supports were fucking golden. Especially the ones with louise.

I want to think that Jaffar lived on the run for the rest of his life because he was a famed assassin, and that a heartbroken Nino had to leave Lou and Ray in Lucius' orphanage (remember that they mention that the kind priest that looked after the orphanage got killed, and Lucius' ending stated that he opened an orphanage, though it could be any other priest that got killed), and had to live on the run as well because Black Fang. Maybe they had a last stand and died together, or had to take their deaths but could never return with their children.

I liked how Isadora and Legault had to face each other years later in the battlefield, but never state what happened after that.

it's open ended enough to be slightly frustrating, but more-whats the word- suspenseful I guess? Something that doesn't stay in your mind 24/7, but when someone is like "Hey, FE7 discussion, blah blah blah" your mind drifts back and you start to wonder what could have been or what could possibly be.

Nothing screwed up about it. Two people who truly cared for each other got together. Not much else to it.

I mean, there definitely was a decent age gap between them
but then again, we ARE on an imageboard, so who cares

You misunderstand. What I'm saying is split your army up, and send one group(or just Sigurd/Celice like you like to do) to take the current castle. While he's doing that, move the second group as close as you can to the next castle or wherever the next group of enemies is going to spawn from. Once the castle has been conquered have the second group take out the next one while you move Sigurd/Celice into position to seize it. That you can kill two birds with one stone, and don't have to spend like 4 turns doing nothing but backtracking with a single character.

Maybe not the way you use them, but it's pretty obvious that they're intended to be a sort of "get out of jail free" card for newer players who are having trouble beating certain bosses or hordes of enemies, seeing as they're almost invincible until around the halfway point of each game.

Also so that everyone could pretend that their favorite pairing was the canon one.

You seem to believe I don't already have people lined up to fight the next to where the map opens up. The problem with backtracking comes with having to move everyone else I was using to capture the other castle to where the action is from the previous objective. I hate backtracking in other FE games so why would I like it in FE4?

Not necessarily, the Mani Katti gives her some relevance with or without Lyn mode levels.

Lyndis is Rath's.

I'm liking every unit is going to have its own unique sprite and not just recolours

If they're going to treat the characters like Pokemon they sure as hell better have unique sprites.

Should have stayed with the other two if that was the case.

What? I don't recall any mention of anything greater than a close bond of friendship between the two of them. Where was love mentioned?

Same shit as Ike/Soren. Fujoshis.

why live

why the hell is this image huge on my screen? I have spoilers turned on. When I click on it. It gets bigger!

How about neither?

Take a look at this shit.

nice horse pussy bro

same, wtf did you do to make the thumbnail so fucking large?

so you can enjoy the horse pussy

fucking smashfags
fuck you etika

Of course.

How?

Nice.

Male list has more from the newer games but the female list has a few from previous games. It's all recent though, nothing from the older systems.

Smashfags need to die, but I'm glad Ike is up there on the board.

Ike!PathofRadiance and Ike!RadiantDawn, just like how Marth is listed twice for Shadow Dragon and Mystery of the Emblem.

eh, smashfags only really account for roy/marth/ike

Awakeningfags are the ones who push the ACTUAL shit characters like chrom/lucina/robin

Pretty sure they only restricted it to games released in NA, though that begs the question as to why Marth from Mystery of the Emblem is listed.

Smashfags also account for Lyn and are partially responsible for the nuFE characters. Etika deserves to be lynched.

All the games are on there.

Regardless my point still sorta stands considering NA is gonna rank Awakenshit, Fatesshit, and then the GBA games' characters higher than anybody else.

Nice, everything went better than expected.

WHY.jpg

Eh. Lyn it's not like lyn is a problem, really. Would you rather nuFE above her? I can see the arguments for her being sub par, but there's no way she's that bad

She's certainly better than Eliwood. If you get a few good level ups in her campaign as well she's better for it when she gets re-introduced later.

They stuck far too close to the mythological references on the newly localized names. For example Diarmuid is accurate but also not fun to say and Dermott comes from that name anyway. It's like they forgot that it's fine to take inspiration from myth instead of copying names wholesale.

Lyn was the harbinger of the waifufags. Her role in FE7 was so fucking patronizing I can barely go back to that game without feeling like I'm playing Sesame Street: Medieval Fantasy Edition. Her role also feels like canonized fanfiction and after her story she's just exists to take up space in cutscenes and ship around.

Male side a lot better then I was expecting. Clear smashfag influence but hector being in the top 3 makes me happy. Female side more or less what i expected though I was not expecting Lyn to beat the Awaking/fates girls.

Takumi being that high surprises me considering he is the most unbearble cunt in a game filled with unbearable cunts.

It gets better, they had initially misspelled it. At least Lachesis got through unscathed this time.

I'll take it
Fucking how?

Getting Amelia huge must've been too much work for some.

In Lyn's case it depends.

This is why it took my time to find out how to save inject onto GBA VC games so that I could play Roy's and Hector's story on Hard without going through fucking Lyn's story.

You're extremely negative about the whole thing. Blazing sword is FE:Road Trip edition as far as I see it.

It'll be interesting to see the lists at the end of the competition.

The japs fucking love Takumi, because they think he's deep and realistic (and OP). The other half of it is the fact he hates Kamui.

you got a save I can borrow my friend

Is it really all that bad? I mean, sure, it's annoying/boring, but it doesn't take much time to breeze through, since cutscenes are not unskipable, and VBA allows you to speed it up either way. It's not exactly exciting, but you fags make it sound grueling

I'm surprised that no one ITT is geting mad that Tharja is in the top 3

for some odd reason, people seem to like her. I for the life of me can't see it. I guess they have a weakspot for yandere characters

I don't mind crazy and she's a caster.

I'm angry about it because Tharjafags like are cancer, especially when they're also shitranfags.

It's kind of to be expected? Plus she's a dark mage. You usually only get one of those per game.

She's filed under Awakeningshit.

I don't remember saying she was my waifu or anything. And it's a shrug reaction image, quit being a sperg.

Fuck Lyn mode and FUCK Winds Across The Plains above all else.

lel, calm down and speed through it you dopey cunt

Wow, someone's angry. Don't reveal your powerlevel son.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I think there is something horribly wrong with this man

How many times have you played through lyns story you crazy fuck?

Someone's missing

Everything checks out.

Pretty happy to see people remember them. Ike is more fresh in their minds, and I always liked him.
A shame to see so many Awakening and Fates faggots there, especially My First Yandere™, My First Hot Older Sister™ and Cordelia, a bitch as flat as her tits, though she's miles ahead of Severa. Only Awakening/Fates character I'm glad to see there is Nowi, if only because her outfit makes me hard, and she had a bit of a screwed up existence, if you can believe that her outfit and being caged means she's been a dragon loli prostitute for quite a while.

Cormag, Percival, Fala Flame BBQ pitmaster and Vika would've been nice to have them there, a shame Vika got her personality or back story gutted thanks to RD's shitty support conversations.

HELLO! TAKE CARE IN THIS BATTLE!

Vika was probably a sex slave. She's gorgeous and really skittish, is a part of the emancipation army, and has a boss conversation with Oliver where she knows what him saying he wants to 'take care of her' means. I would have liked Tormod, Muarim, and Vika to have been been around more since I like all three, but in the scheme of things they were super unimportant.

Well that's disappointing if unexpected.
Who the fuck did that? I refuse to believe that many people are dumb enough to use him.

You could cut Lyn out of FE7 entirely and it would be the same thing except Darin just goes straight to Valor instead of Caelin.
It may as well just be that since it's just a bunch of good maps connected by a shit plot.

Even now there is hope for man.

He's gotta be the boss character. The penultimate one if nothing else. Just imagine him using an Eclipse against you and one-shotting your sorry ass.

Ok man i'm the first with you to say Lyn isn't that great but that's just plain bullshit

Oh come the fuck on, even FF All The Shittiest had them

I don't think Sain can stay with one woman

Other than that, the list could be worse

He marries Rebecca, and the ending states that Wolt inherited her bow skills, and Sain's chivalry or something like that.
Maybe Priscilla is bad news, she can only marry Heath, meanwhile Guy and Sain drop her.

She's total trash. At least Eliwood gets a fucking horse when he promotes. He's still garbage though. The only reason to use either is to get Geitz instead of Wallace.

Also
Trainee loving faggot.

Only trainee I never used was Ewan, if only because Lute, L'Arachel and Artur are wrecking so much ass by then, and Summoners aren't indispensable with the Phantoms.
It's pretty comical to see Amelia criting Foomortis as a super Recruit, killing the ancient evil with a clumsy accidental lunge.

Ewan is completely unsalvageable due to his join time unless you're one of those people who grind. If you grind I will disregard your opinion completely.

Artur is absurdly good but the other two are kind of trash. Lute requires babying to catch up and the kills she's getting are better spent on Artur. She's also kind of crippled by the fact that she's WTA'd by most of the magic enemies in the game since dark magic is so prevalent. L'Arachel is dead on arrival. By that point Artur should be promoted at which point he ties with her in staff rank while also having killer combat and slayer. I mean hell, she can't even use Barrier at base. Summoner Knoll is actually pretty okay and essentially free since he's level 10 on joining meaning he can insta-promote and doesn't really need to see combat since his Phantoms provide decent utility. I wish his staff rank shot up to something usable on promotion though. Then he'd actually be good instead of just decent as a dedicated puller with his summons.

Priscilla is a good girl.
She's very mobile and heals all my front line boys.

I never liked any of the lords.
They all seemed really bad compared to the side characters.
Hector was the only useful one and that's solely because of muh lord weapons that were mandatory for the final boss.

Hector's pretty great. Having 1-2 range is really nice and he actually has growth unlike Dorcas and Bartre. Marcus would rather be using a Javelin so Hector soaks up all of the Hand Axes until Hawkeye shows up. It's a shame he stays at 5 mov even after promoting, but that's what the boots are for I guess.

Does Marth not count?

It's the redesign that commits the heresy of giving him pants.

Are the throwing weapons any good?
I found myself almost never using them unless I had no way to reach the enemy.

They're great to have for EP to clear out everything instead of just 1 range guys. If you have an Iron Axe equipped and there's three soldiers and an archer you'll kill the soldiers but won't kill the archer. A Hand Axe kills them all. This applies more to games where enemies are weak.

Figures that would be the only way to use them effectively.
Although they're really weak and have so few uses it's hard to justify having them take up an item slot especially if it's a longer map.

They more than make up for their item slot if they help you get through a chapter a turn or two faster because you don't get blocked or inconvenienced by ranged units. Say an archer gets in the way of you getting to the boss. In FE7 you have to kill them on the next turn, and then move to the boss on the turn after that. If you have a Hand Axe or Javelin on that first EP you can move straight to the boss since the enemy kills themselves on EP. This is less of a problem in the games with full canto.

There are benefits to finishing a chapter earlier?

Sometimes you have to be fast to get extra chapters.

Not wasting time should be a reward in itself. But there are turn count metrics in games with ranking systems. There's also thieves stealing treasure and gaiden turn count limits.

If you don't care about turn counts (like some kind of savage) you can think of having 1-2 range as something that thins enemies out quicker making things safer on your turn since you give those ranged units more turns to freely attack you while you're taking them out one by one on player phase.

Which couple is the gayest?

There is a right answer.

Legault and Heath.
I dislike faggots, but I liked how they handled it on FE7. Not cryptic, but not gay pride parade faggots either.

Wait… what?
I totally missed that.

I guess that makes me a savage then.
Other than that, I do try to be as fast as possible to get all the items before the thieves reach them.
You're right about equipping a ranged weapon before the enemy phase. I haven't thought about that before.

I'll be on the lookout for those.

For what purpose?

But she has two sisters.
That's even better.

archive.is/uPhVr

I've never wanted to kill a man more than I do now.

>they don't want Ike, the first homononroyal lord in FE history
Shit taste at its peak.

Oh boy…

Yes.

Why does Subaki's clip sound like a bad Tom Hanks impression?

I shouldn't be surprised.

The most frustrating part of this is that it's the first result when you look up "fire emblem heroes vote"