Nintendo Voice Chat app for Switch

What did he mean by this? No, I'm serious what the fuck did he mean by this? People keep saying he's saying that the app on your phone is the only way to play online once you've subscribed, but my first impression is that he's talking about an app for more interpersonal experiences.

Like, I highly doubt that Nintendo would make the app work in such a way where when I'm playing an online game, I can't just pick "random match" from the Switch game menu but have to open up an app to do that.

Wouldn't it make more sense even for Nintendo for the app to just be used for creating your own more customized games like "I only want to play with my friends and 3 random Russian kids."

Other urls found in this thread:

nintendo.com/switch/online-service/
change.org/p/nintendo-nintendo-should-not-handle-switch-voice-chat-matchmaking-etc-through-a-smart-device-app

archive.is/vvjyb
archive.is/nVIR4
archive.is/Y8HbJ
archive.is/VJKyo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

gettin' real tired of everyone shit. I hope this doesn't catch on.

Please, not another Switch thread.

is there anything else we can talk about?

I'm guessing you'll literally need to use your phone for any sort of online play, I'm betting it's some retarded way of trying to combat piracy by tying online to phone numbers or something retarded like that.

In Nintendo's case, it does kinda make some sense from a business standpoint because they're trying to become a mobile game company as well. With Super Mario Run and Fire Emblem Heroes on its way to iOS and Android, it makes sense that they're using these sort of means to incentivize people to make use of their phones or purchase them

I'm just trying to figure out what he's trying to say cause everyone keeps saying "Oh, Nintendo wants you to use your phone for any online play. Fuck that" and others are saying that the app is only for interaction with friends. I don't really give a shit either way cause one of the millions of people with a phone, but does that mean that even some shit like random online games must be done through the phone app?

Most of Nintendo's few online titles allowed players to enter random games via P2P. Is Reggie saying that's over or is he just saying you now gotta do that through the fucking phone app?

Nintendo time to Switch to a good PC

I really want to believe Nintendo isn't stupid enough to say something as damaging as "that’s how you’ll do your matchmaking, and create your lobby" without actually meaning it, because vague statements are only going to drive people away unnecessarily.

what you can do to prove yourself right is to wish into one hand, shit into the other, and see which one is full first.

I miss old nintendo. Maybe its time I gave up on this hobby.

Anything else relating to video games.

I don't have the source on hand, but I'm pretty sure this smartphone app is going to be a paid app, too (a separate purchase from paid online).
Nintendo is really looking to ruin their big chance to turn things around here with the Switch.
Honestly I think the Switch is already set to sell more than the WiiU, but there's a good chance paid online will make those "good sales" turn sour.

If the Switch does well in the long run, I'm going to be very surprised. Smartphones are the Switch's main competition; requiring the user to own, carry, and interact with one to access the Switch's online seems like a kiss of death for the system.

Again, I don't really care if I have to use a phone, as long as the interface of the app is easy enough to use that it makes little difference, but I just find it weird that even if I just want to splat random japs in Splatoon, I would have to open up an app on my phone when it might just be easier to let me choose random matches on the console and then for more custom matches with friends or specific kinds of players, just use my phone.

Also, what is the Switch screen going to be doing, flashing "look at your phone retard." or is it going to show the lobby on the screen and the chat in the lobby on the phone while we're waiting?

I really think they should show this fucking app and how it works already. Not showing us a demonstration and letting us speculate only makes it easier for the Nintendoom to crowd to sow seeds of doubt in Nintendofags heads. Sometimes once misconceptions set in, they can be hard to throw off. There were a lot of people who didn't buy the X-Box One because they still thought Microsoft was doing the "always online, no used games" thing.

"The smart phone app that we’re creating, that will be part of our online service, we believe is going to be a very compelling part of the overall proposition"

also nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

Even if you pay for it, I doubt it would be anything except just paying like 3 bucks to download it through the iphone app store.

This is actually perhaps the dumbest thing Nintendo did with the Switch.

Casualfag customer - "Since I already have a smartphone can't I just play games on this instead? Most of them are even free to play."

someone said in the other thread they used the web browser to crack the WiiU and 3DS. This is probably their way to prevent piracy.

That's my theory, most likely coupled with the idea that they can ban by phone, so if one Switch is banned then you'll need to both buy a new console AND phone to get back online.

Of course if that's the case, I can't help but feel you're opening yourself up to even more attack vectors by requiring a device that's already been cracked apart a million times before, it feels like it could end up being a case of "we keep cutting this plank in half and it still isn't long enough!"

I already see a petition to get them to change their mind about this. change.org/p/nintendo-nintendo-should-not-handle-switch-voice-chat-matchmaking-etc-through-a-smart-device-app

You're really naive if you think the web browser alone was how the Wii U and 3DS were cracked.

They'd just ban your account, you fucking dumbass.

It sounds pretty retarded but I will wait and see how it actually ends up working, if this shit is too fucking retarded to function Nintendo will adapt.

Does it not have a web browser at all? I recall reading it didn't have multimedia tools and shit like netflix, but with a touchscreen interface a browser would be good, well at least a youtube and netflix app.

I was considering buying a Switch just to replace my brothers Tablet since it sounds like a good tablet replacement. I'm not too worried about the battery life, I can buy an external battery, for the Switch, I can't buy games worth playing for an Android tablet.

And you can circumvent that by just making a new one on a new console.

It'd no different than the VAC ban-by-phone system Steam has started using to catch people who hop from account to account after getting banned.

ppfft

everyone will buy that zelda game on WiiU and switch will sit on the shelves at least until most of the announced games get released

Once it gets a monster hunter game it will outsell the Wii U's total global sales in Japan alone.

How are they competing with smartphones when they're investing in smart phones?

By selling a handheld that isn't a smartphone? Consumers have finite amounts of money, so it's not always a case of them being able to purchase both.

A better question is _why_ are they investing in smart phones at all, when they are launching the Switch?

HAIL SATAN

Satan plz, have you not been paying attention to anything going on lately? Nintendo is not competing with smart phones at all, they're accommodating for them. That's why in addition to the Switch they're developing mobile games and selling them through app stores. Super Mario Run was the first and was a collaboration with Apple as a distributor and OS provider. Now they're working on a new Fire Emblem mobile game.

I think what he meant was that the Switch online app would act as a lobby separate from the game where you can meet up, set gaming appointments, and voice chat with people.

Think TeamSpeak, but optimized and only for Nintendo Switch

Those're more glorified advertisements for their actual video games than proper mobile games, all their mobile stuff's been totally outsourced so far and the newer stuff doesn't look like it's breaking that mold.

He likens the app to a headset as well as matchmaking so I imagine it's basically TeamSpeak or Discord, except for Switch.

Fire Emblem Heroes is being made by Intelligent Systems themselves

What are Wi-Fi hotspots?

Besides, have you seen how tiny the Switch is? It wouldn't be hard to carry it around in a messenger bag.

You'd think they'd have this sort of thing already mapped out with kinks resolved and ready for presenting when they unveil it, given the criticism both vocal and monetarily of their last console.

all consoles confirmed finally FINALLY dead
THEY FINALLY DID IT, THE BASTARDS FINALLY DID IT

there goes all our video games, even the last of the remotely "meh/ok" ones from nintendo.

nintendo switch confirmed paid online cancer like microsoft and sony.

this is not a console wars thread. I've already been banned before under that accusation. I'm against shitty video games and shitty platforms. I'm finally against all consoles and steam and I finally understand the different anons on Holla Forums who hated what they did and why. I'm raising the red flag here and delcaring a state of videogame emergency. ron paul didn't even have a chance to open his fucking mouth and say "it's happening" 2017 is the year that consoles, that were all long since dying of cancer, FINALLY
died completely."

youtube. com/watch?v=BIhagVVGB9s

earned itself a spot on the blacklist forever

earned a blacklist FOREVER

blacklisted forever

I can say the same for EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Bethesda. I hate them all after my experiences with them and I will never buy anything from them ever again. same goes for all the groups related to PRISM, like google and apple and so on.

>nintendo was decent with the Wii U and I was happy for a while becaue it allowed me to play some games that simply did the job of being fun but I was never too too happy and then nintendo *supposedly* announces PAID ONLINE for the nintendo switch, instantly making everyone hate them for turning into the very evil that everyone ran away from in the first place like micro$hit and sony

with nintendo, microsoft, and sony the games are boring, the prices are awful, I don't get anything I want out of it, paid online, drm, everything is anti consumer, highly inconvenient, annoying, stupid, and wasteful.
any console from nintendo, microsoft, sony, are all basically

now my brothers and sisters and all anons! we must boycott!!!!!!!

we must show the evil bastards of this world what happens when they take away all our videogames. we must show them the power of voting with our wallets. we will boycott them.
FOREVER

AND WHEN THEY COME CRYING TO US "we have no money! why wont you buy our shitty crappy poopoo shite!? please save us!" and we will look up and say "GNO"

they will all drown in their own debt as we vote with our autistic wallets. we will show them that we will never support their evil ever again. WE WILL SHOW THEM THAT FREE VIDEOGAMES MADE WITH HEART AND SOUL FOR THE COMMUNITY, BY THE COMMUNITY ARE THE BEST.

we will no longer feed our enemies! we will no longer listen to the false song of shiteogames!
we will stubbornly stand in place and demand real video games that are fun and enjoyable!
when the world says to us "move" we will say "NO." "YOU MOVE"

WE WILL PUSH THE MEMES AND GROW TO BE THE STRONGEST AND THE MOST FREE VIDEOGAMERS! WE WILL MAKE FOSS LINUX GAMES GREAT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

user quality on Holla Forums. look at how they attack a thread they don't like and shitpost it to death and then complain about how shitty the thread is.
archive.is/vvjyb
archive.is/nVIR4
archive.is/Y8HbJ
archive.is/VJKyo

Watch the hotpockets delete this post. The shills are already here and failing to market this shit. Now you see why so many of us said back during the height of GG that boycotts were a necessity. Ninty, Sony and MS have all done incredibly cancerous shit out of naked greed and we need to stop rolling over for them.

Fuck shills. Boycott now.

Why do they call it the Switch?

Because you see it and switch away from consoles forever.

Because I see it and switch the lights off and cry myself to sleep.

shall I continue? I'm having more fun with these than I do thinking about playing the switch.

Because you see it and switch to alchohol.

Because you see it and switch 360 degrees and switch away.

I hate all the gimmicks and extras modern consoles shoehorn in. When I buy a console I want something simple that works, not a shitty version of a pc

Nintendo is getting in on the metadata sales marketplace

This would imply Nintendo learns from their mistakes

I heard from my source that niptendo is going to unveil their own smartphone, specifically for the snitch. On top of that, they're going to have a seperate plan to make sure you buy a new phone and console every year.

Screencap this

Is your source your ass?

Jesus, it doesn't take a nintendrone to point this out.
Also, I'm not sure WHY nintendo wants to make things like street pass and other social-media-like endeavors, but since they want to, then going into smartphones for that is the way. I'm impressed streetpass isn't a feature on that app but I bet it will be, not everybody who plays handhelds carry them everywhere they go, nintendo

Handheld =/= mobile

Or emulate old games until you run out of old games and end yourself.
It's what i plan to do anyway, and i'm almost out of gaems.

I'm still not buying a fucking smartphone, and if I wasn't already put off the Switch, this would have done it alone. What happened to the concept of a fucking party chat ala 360/PS Vita?

Why the FUCK is Nintendo and Reggie acting like a smartphone app for online interaction is more convenient? Juggling two different devices to chat and set up lobbies would be awkward as fuck. I would much rather be able to do it on my switch, whether I'm playing in public or at home.

Precisely my point. What's yours?
Handhelds and mobile games are not the same. Have never been. And nintendo has always dominated on handhelds.

Hopefully you'll do that with your console, and after you log in with your smartphone it'ss serve as a companion to manage voice chat, party settings etc hopefully but I still don't understand WHY go this route, it's not something anyone has ever asked for even. How do these ideas come up in the first place?

We should really start emailing NoJ.
Who knows what Reggie-san is telling them.

That's what I'm wondering too. Didn't the Wii U had party chart? And the Wii had Wii Speak?

Wii U had Voicechat on a game by game basis. No dedicated chat application baked in the OS.
Wii speak had rare support.

And yet people wanna say the Switch somehow ISN'T worse than the Xbone.

We want the casual gamers.

Mario Jump
Kirby Eat
Zelda Sword
Flappy Ballon Fight…

ENDLESS TRASH

I want to play kirby eat…
Now you made me sad, user. Why did nintendo allow you to do this.
WHY

JEWtendo is NSA's right hand now. Can't wait until they start selling peoples data for money jut like they do with their mobile games.

Cooking with Kirby™
Each recipe requires either an hour of play to unlock each, or 0.49p each.

fuuuuuck

God damn it they seem to really be trying to (can't be fucked to webm video is E-celeb shit)

Here in the west there's this "cult of personality", that has lead to the rise of both e-celebs and devs who think people care (well, actually and sadly, a lot of people do) about what they have to say on twitter. The result is that people care about
who is said/done
instead of
what is done
that is, content/games

Jesus I don't give any commercial operator my phone number. You can get a throwaway gmail account but that's it.

Indeed.
Though I think that has always existed but with the internet and """nerd culture""" becoming big then everything has been supercharged.

Reggie is fucking incredible when it comes to his job though. Especially when among his competition are the idiots at that Microsoft finds to host their press conferences as such.

The key here is spending. When you sell a game on a gaming focused device you generally only pay once for the game and again for DLC. Most phone games are microtransaction based and never end to maximize revenue. This also doesn't say how many titles the money was split across. Handhelds may get ~25 games a year while iOS/Android get shovelware all the time designed to get quick money and vanish.

(((data harvesting))) They will require your location and a shitload of other things they don't actually need for voice service.

Because Reggie is trying to sell shit no matter how retarded it sounds. And he is good at it.

Everyone hates NoA but they are good at their jobs: marketing Nintendo to Burgers.

Make things dumb, loud and simple and remove everything remotely Japanese. Now eat your goddamn hamburger.

k

No they aren't. Literally all their success with the last 2 consoles they've owed to copying Japan's marketing scheme.

This system is pretty shit for video games honestly, aside from RTSes and modding communities it's just a dlc storm where you can hardly even find a complete game without 500 dollars extra of dlc. At least nintendo gives you a full product first

Yeah, just like Mario Kart 8. Oh wait–

Fuck off nintencuck

No thanks, i hate using my retarded voice for videogames.

Yada yada yada gibs us money yada yada yada switch can't handle games and voice chat at the same time yada yada yada nintendo smartphone in the future yada yada yada

What's the point of portable console if you need to have smartphone on at the same time, playing multi with your buds?

no thanks.

You're missing the point. I'm not surprised that Nintendo is competing with mobile phones, I'm surprised that they are helping the mobile market while trying to compete with it. That's the opposite of what they should do, if they want their handheld to dominate the market.

They're taking a play from Microsoft
They think they can kill mobile phone gaming

If the fucking phone app is required for setting up multiplayer lobbies I might skip this thing entirely. If it's just voice chat that's fine–it's still dumb to require a smartphone for that but 99% of the time I'm playing online the Switch will be docked and running audio through my PC so I can easily use Mumble or a similar program.

Lack of self-awareness is a sign of autism

You can only list 1 or 2 examples and even then the DLC is mostly useless just for skins, not like every PC game ever where you can't even buy a 60 dollar game without at least 40 dollars more in DLC

Quite a few games that are multiplatform on PC that have 40$ in DLC also have that same DLC on consoles for the same price or (later down the line) more

nah fam. when you get shit regardless of how much it is still shit

All the DLC that is available on PC is also on consoles, autismos.

It is because they do it in the context of cosmetics and shit that doesn't really add to the game. Half of RTS games like Civ forget that they need to add more mechanics to their empty fucking game and end up selling you another game for the amount of DLC you pay for.

I love how you act as if PC only has RTS games going on for it.

mhm

Amiibos have stopped existing?

Literally cosmetics the DLC, oh you want to play marth and roy in a game set thousands of year in the future then sure pay 8 bucks for it.

Total war always has at least 20 dollars in day 1 dlc each release, ck2 and eu4's dlc is more expensive than the game

It is the only thing it has on consoles really, that and shitty mobas. I already gave credit to modding communities but that doesn't forgive the fact that almost every RPG is just a dlc whore that leaves key stories out for DLC to finish.

Why can't you niggers call a spade a spade. PC gaming is cancerous as fuck, the only games that aren't whores for DLC are visual novels

I don't think so, Tim

My best guess is they want to deliver a user experience similar to Xbox Live with parties and voice chat and messaging and all of that stuff other gamers have been enjoying for 12 years now, but Nintendo shyed away from because WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN. But because their console is an underpowered piece of trash, they offloaded the meager computing cycles to a smartphone app because lol everyone has a smartphone now. Or maybe it's still "think of the children" logic and they think that only adults have phones/tablets so it's like automatic parental control, even though I see a toddler using an ipad every time I go shopping.

Nintendo is disconnected from reality and can't keep up with features other companies have offered for over a decade, what's new.

Console gaming is the real and true cancer.

I still don't get this meme.

xbone and ps4 yeah, but PC gaming is just as bad. Half you fucks pay for a game before it's even released then get hit with a shitstorm of dlcs.

Like the bride and dread fighter, aka an OP merc class that is unbalanced as all hell and the waifu cosmetic class so you can play dresssup with your favorite girl.

They released Mario Kart 8 with no battle mode, much to the chagrin of expectant players, and now they're releasing it again WITH battle mode, but only if you buy a Switch and there probably won't be a discount for owners of the Wii U game.

Wii U was a benign blunder. What Nintendo's doing here threatens to drag the industry down even further into the blackhole its gotten itself into. They're inching closer towards a focus on mobile gaming.

Fucking bad goyim like you have something to hide! Submit yourself to a Holla Forums shaming by posting your address on Facebook now!

And WiiU/3DS with all its amiibo, overpriced weebtrash and shitty localizations and censorship isn't?

What is this amiibo meme, I don't even use that shit, I mostly play fire emblem, pokemon, the zelda remakes and animal crossing.

Its cancer

I guarantee you it's just as cancerous as the PC market because you can seldom find a game that's complete anymore without it just being a cash crop for DLCs

That doesn't make any sense. You're also being incredibly misleading. MK8 has a battle mode, it's just really really really shit and was universally panned at launch. Also, it's had two huge DLC packs between the time it launched and now, 2 years later. The more reasonable conclusion is that they just responded to fan's requests for a proper MK64 styled battle mode in the updated rerelease to set it apart, but no, you have to come to the pants on head retarded conclusions that: "NINTENDO MADE MK8 AND INTENTIONALLY CUT OUT THE BATTLE MODE WHEN IT LAUNCHED ON THE WIIU AND SAT ON IT FOR THREE WHOLE YEARS WHILE LAUNCHING NUMEROUS DLC PACKS AND UPDATES FOR MK8 OVER THOSE 3 YEARS JUST TO SAVE IT FOR THE SWITCH RELEASE!!!"

Really, I've seen this shit so much I can only assume you're just one dumbass spamming it everywhere.

Yeah because brave new world and gods and king isn't fucking necessary for civ 5 to not be a hollow bland game

Let's not ignore the fact that total war warhammer doesn't even allow you to play any elves or chaos without paying 20 dollars a pop

And you're calling PC cancer.

It's literally just racing around the normal tracks with a health bar. It's NOTHING like the established battle mode in previous games, which is what players were expecting. To say MK8 doesn't have battle mode at all is pretty fucking accurate. It has "race with a focus on weapons" mode. They slapped the word "battle" on in a desperate attempt to hide their mistake.
And regardless of whether you consider it a real battle mode, the fact is they're re-releasing the game on Switch with all kinds of content that Wii U owners will not be able to play, despite being the loyal customers that kept this shit company afloat when the casuals fled to mobile devices. They should have just focused on MK9 instead. MK8 deluxe is an insult.

The fact you're defending this disgusts me physically. You are the zenith of fanboyism. You are a mindless drone who will buy anything Nintendo shits out, without the slightest bit of critical thinking.

Nobody is forcing you to pay for it or encourage AAA cancer when you can buy smaller games that don't promote such practices, PC is cool like that.

Those were DLCs that added features that should have been in the game in the first place, and it's not as if the smaller game companies don't engage in it either, you have to siffle through a mound of shit to find a gem.

Yeah just like the battle mode of mk8

fucking kek. do nintendofags really get this upset about a fucking kid's game? even that guy seems less of a faggot than you.

It had the same rules, it just didn't have the same style of track. You could still run around freely and do shit, they just weren't tracks specifically designed for it.

Updated rereleases happen all the time. Though it is a little ironic seeing as most games start on nintendo consoles only to move to the other for updated rereleases. I guess this is your first time encountering one.

This is where you lose me. I'm not defending anything. I'm, for the most part, stating facts and explaining my conclusions.

""GRR I HOPE THE SWITCH WILL BE A FAILURE! HOW DARE NINTENDO MAKE ME PAY FOR ONLINE! AT LEAST THE WII U HAD GOOD GAMES! *REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE*"

oh wow

And you are somehow better because…?

Would you have preferred it if they didn't release new characters or content at all? Would you have preferred it if they released just a simple port?

You make it out like as if they're leaving the poor Wii U owners out in the cold and being ungrateful towards their loyal consumer base when it's the very same consumer base that will immediately adopt the Switch come March.

You act like $300 is some monolithic obstacle that only the privileged few can afford.

In fact, all criticism that I've seen for the Switch all has money as the common factor: "$300 is too much!" "What about people who purchase [INSERT GAME HERE], don't we get a refund?" "Paid online? This is so anti-consumer!" "I won't be interested in the Switch until it's hacked so that I can play games for free."

The fact of the matter is that the Switch is actually pretty fucking cheap in comparison to other consoles that were released in the past. It's the third cheapest console ever to be released when adjusted for inflation, behind the Dreamcast and the GameCube.

Secondly, for paid online, Nintendo is giving out free shit and deals on a monthly basis, so the service ends up paying for itself. If you can name one service that gives out free downloadable games and exclusive deals on a consistent basis and asks absolutely nothing in return, I'll leave this imageboard and never come back.

I could go into why I think so many complain about spending money or things costing too much, but that would go beyond the scope of video games.

Also…

For an imageboard that constantly mocks your moderator for being Jewish, and continuously accusing video game companies of Jewish practices, this community is more financially shrewd than most Hebrews are.

please bait harder, a5ee75

They're giving out free shit, as in NES and SNES games, but those only last a month, after which you have to buy them on the eshop.
If we look at one Nintendo's competitors, like Sony, they let you keep the free games they give out every month as long as you keep being subscribed to their membership crap.

Maybe next time read up on the stuff you're shilling before pulling shit out of your asshole.

You nintencucks are fucking sad

Nintendo sure knows how to kill their own hype.

lel

I don't get what you're trying to say. Are the prices too high? You can always buy from gray market seller, or wait for the sales. The DRM is 50/50 when it comes to steam, maybe it does suck that you cannot resale your games on steam, but otoh there're plenty of sales too.

So… how many google play/IOS games were used in the data? Between how many devs is the avenue split among? What is the sample size?

you can't just post a graph out of context and use it as the be all, end all truth

What exactly is wrong with that? For starters, it's a consistent free game every month with newly added online play only available on the Switch version. Reggie also mentioned that they will have something for people who already bought VC games on the e-shop for Wii U or 3DS.

I think user was referring to how Nintendo is consistently doing e-shop sales and shit on the 3DS and Wii U. If that continues with the Switch with things like "40% of all subscriptions for the next three months" or "e-shop sale, 50% of all weeaboo RPG's and 10% off all Mario titles", then Nintendo's online service would hardly cost anything in the long run, especially since it will probably be cheaper than Sony's online service at normal price (though that's just my own assumption atm)

Are you okay user?

Newsflash, user, ALL CONSOLES ARE UNDERPOWERED AND OBSOLETE BEFORE THEY EVEN ARE RELEASED

I really get sick of you fags trying to apply PC logic to home consoles. They're two different kinds of markets. Home consoles are optimized primarily for gaming and use budget hardware which by all the current PC standards of their respective generations is "backward" and is stripped of components taken for granted in the PC arena. PC is always like four steps ahead of any and all consoles on the market in terms of the quality of tech at any single point in time. Everything "new" consoles do, PC is usually already doing for years before that. It's just that the average "plebian" consumer is not a huge tech nerd who knows how to build a PC better than any other console for video games nor are they someone who afford to shell out the money for anything more than perhaps a basic laptop, tablet or work PC.

Home consoles have never been anything more than repackaged boxes of hand me down hardware from the PC world. So what matters has never really been power, because if you are just concerned with power, what you really want to invest in is PC and just stick with that. What really matters with consoles is support. With enough exclusive games on your console that people WANT to play or with enough downgraded PC ports at an affordable cost for people who want to play the same games as their PatriCian friends but can't cause they don't have a PC, you can sell a console at almost any level of power. Mobile gaming and Nintendo Wii's success among consumers prove that with the right gimmick/hook, enough games people want to play and with the right price tag, even the most under-powered device can sell. Look at the mobile games which sell the most, they're not anything outstanding in terms of graphics or even design. Some pretty artwork, cute sounds, a good difficulty curve that gets people addicted, and some games that cost pennies to make can make you a few Benjis. Theoretically, any one of you could learn how to make a 16-bit console and the nature of the home console market would allow you to possibly carve out a niche success with it as long as you made up for the weakness of its hardware with an exclusive library of games made by competent developers and a clever marketing team. This is why the 3DS sells more than not only the Vita, but also the PS4, because when it comes to optimized gaming handhelds and home consoles, software & marketing are the key, not hardware power.

Theres not much of a point in even arguing with him on this. Along with the actual shitty things Nintendo has done and will be doing, people like him have convinced themselves that absolutely everything else they do is now done with the sole intention of screwing the consumer over. So any extreme thought or explanation for why something pretty normal happening, (like a port getting extra content.) is immediately treated like a crime.

So now we have people who firmly believe things like, the Battle mode in Mario Kart 8 was purposely sabotage for the sake of selling this Switch version. With really nothing to back it up with.

But because anyone arguing otherwise doesn't have definite proof that it isn't the case, outside of it being a big stretch and a common occurrence for up-ports in general. You'll just be called a dick-sucking Nintoddler so they don't have to actually argue their point with you, and can keep repeating the same things over and over.

I don't even really think MK8D is worth the purchase if you own the original, and them decided to go for paid online is taking away one real advantage they could have had with the Switch, but the thoughts I see people sharing here are reaching silly levels at times. I fully expect another outburst when Smash on the Switch gets one or two extra characters.

Both make an already easy game easier. The Bride and Dragon Rider or whatever they're called classes are cheap and overpowered and the grinding maps are for casuals.

It literally only effects casuals who have problems with an already easy game.

Didn't refute the point.

The original point had literally nothing to do with fire emblem.

Consoles are about install base.

Why did CDRed abandon PC exclusivity? Money. With the xbox and PS selling millions consoles studios WILL focus on the console business. It is a snowball effect.

So if Nintendo manages to sell the Switch games will come. And it does not matter if the hardware is a piece of shit compared to a gaming PC.

Doesn't make the move any less jewy. Locking the waifu class behind DLC was a clever (but despicable) move. And I saw videos of faggots grinding on the DLC maps while playing on Hard. Not Lunatic, Hard. That's disgraceful.

Considering there's already televisions that have no remote or buttons and require a smart app I'm not surprised.

More like it profits off retarded people, which is totally okay. I wish all DLC schemes were like that.

I don't like this copypasta, it's too spaced out and repetitive.

You are right that install base is important, but creating that install base to begin with relies mainly on the software library that the console has or is promised to have as well as it's affordability to average consumer.

were basically back to this point

is this their plan?

THEN BUILD IT INTO THE SWITCH ITSELF
Have the home button open a menu without pausing the game, and have all the party chat, muting and other features be there. I'm sure the Switch has a mic built in, just like the Wii U gamepad and 3DS. Why have two devices when you can have one?
The Vita has party chat, messaging and a friends list. Do that, and have it run in the background while you play your games.
I hope this is a big misunderstanding. "You can use a headset but if you're on the move you can use your phone instead" makes some sense. A company called LucidSound was going on about how their newest headset would be the ideal choice for the Switch

But the Gameboy was released in 1989 and the pocket wasn't until 1996. That would be an entire gen now.

I'm not refuting your point user but have you seen gameplay videos of FEHeroes? It looks like a game made in two hours by a single guy, i'm sure developing it tooks as much time as doing ads of differente sizes with "Buy more Fire emblem games" written on them.
What actually took some time was Mario run, but it was done by Miyamoto so at least they kept him as far away as possible from Zeldo and Mario Odyssey.

Holy shiiiit, i fucking miss the times when hardware wasn't being constantly updated and trashed every 4 years.

It's worse than that.
The PS1 launched in the US at 300$ in (US) 1995 currently the equivalent of just under 500$ in 2017. They were also (believed) to be sold at a subsidized cost to encourage people to buy them and get more games. Now consider the PS1's (US) launch lineup and later support within a couple of months of release. The PS1 wasn't discontinued until 2006 and games were released for it until 2005.
Compare that to the Switch at 300$ in 2017 (equiv of 190$ in 1995) with it's "launch" lineup (somehow people are considering games released months after the console are launch) and later support. What dumpster hardware are they putting in this thing that makes them think 300$ is enough to get their investment back and support them? Are they thinking everybody is going to buy three complete sets of controllers (at 240$ plus tax) and all six of their launch games? Do they think this console is going to even last until 2020? No, they're going to do a hardware refresh in 2019 at the latest
Console manufacturers need to go back to subsidizing their hardware and getting better deals for bulk purchases. That was how they competed in the past. Imagine what they could do with a console with 750$ worth of hardware at a 500$ price. Probably a console that lasts longer than four years and gives them more software sold per console than they currently get.

wew

YOU'VE PUT YOURSELF IN A HOTSPOT

DO YOU WANT TO USE A BULKY GAMER EBIN HEADSET? NEIN!

SCREAM AT YOUR PHONE'S MICROPHONE IN PUBLIC

SCREAM YOUR LOVE FOR NINTENDO

Nintendo Switch? More like Nintendo Bitch.

This is my prediction as well. I'm I hope you don't need the phone app to play online.

Also one question: Think the reason why this app is for mobile only is so you're not restricted to chatting via WiFi? I don't think Nintendo wants to partner up with a mobile network to make the Switch's data plan exclusive to their service. Remember Vita and AT&T?

The Vita 3g was optional though (and later dropped, presumably not cost effective with the amount of people using it).
The Switch doesn't give you an option to not use a mobile network and just stick to wifi and voice chat/match making on the actual console. That is probably going to fuck with them because, while people/kids get cell phones younger and younger, they aren't going to have GBs of data to use on mobile and requiring a phone at home is retarded(even on wifi).

If I'm required to have a smartphone to fully utilize a Switch, I'm fucking out, done, gone. Fuck you Nintendo completely 100% out of the console game completely (sans retro) done.

So what does this mean for third parties? Couldn't they have an option to have chat features built into the game and not use the mobile app? And what about games without voice that use text only?

That depends on how Nintendo chooses to allow 3rd parties to operate, if they disallow them to make their own chat/matchmaking/etc then obviously they wouldn't be able to do that. I think widespread adoption depends on how cumbersome it is within the first few months of launch. If it sucks enough Nintendo will have a few options:
1) push harder and alienate 3rd party devs (they do this all the time with their gimmicks)
2) give up the phone only shit and create a voice/chat app for the Switch itself (This would probably help but still not alleviate the issue)
3) Allow 3rd party devs to implement their own shit (probably the best option if they allow 3rd party devs to still use the voice/matching on the phone if they want to but probably least likely because Nintendo likes to be in control of everything)