Etrian Odyssey Thread

I love the balance of difficulty and not-bullshit in the series.

What are your favorite games? Have you done any fun runs lately?

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/s/y99oarzr2blmdpv/sq1_88_selected.mp3?dl=0
soundcloud.com/yuzo_koshiro/tracks
soundcloud.com/yuzo_koshiro/etrian_odyssey_1
soundcloud.com/yuzo_koshiro/etrian_odyssey_3_their_own_bra
soundcloud.com/yuzo_koshiro/etrian_odyssey_battle_theme_2
soundcloud.com/yuzo_koshiro/etrian_odyssey_1_dungeon_1
soundcloud.com/yuzo_koshiro/etrian_odyssey_1-shunjyuku
my.mixtape.moe/vyxhzz.zip
pastebin.com/6cmH2LjS
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I've tried doing a full Medic team in Etrian Odyssey 4, trying to find motivation in continuing this, I'm only at Land 4.

My favourite EO game is EO2, something about the first four stratums representing seasons and climbing up the Yggdrasil tree tickles my fancy. EO5 when?

EO5 is already out, but not translated yet I believe

Yeah I know, I'm waiting for the burger localisation. It's currently my most anticipated game of Current Year.

It's quite exciting to see the new features they're putting in the game. Hopefully the difficulty is still going to be the same, that's what I found fun about these games, assuming you don't cheese it.

I love coming up with my strats especially with the post-game bosses. I have beaten EO3's final post game boss by using Berserker God with my attackers and burst damaging it when it drops it's defense mode.

Oh, and it's the 10 year anniversary of Etrian Odyssey today. Forgot to mention that.

I personally fucking love Etrian Odyssey 3. How come there's never been any romhacks of EO? It seems like it'd be a fairly easy game to hack to me.

Anyone who wants to hack EO just makes their custom maps in other Wizardry clones instead. Can't remember the one but there's one on Steam with a dungeon builder that my DM uses to make and test his dungeons out before we use them in D&D.

Any news on release date for burger version of EO5?

Has Atlus said if they'll have dual audio, all seiyuu retained, and full customization options retained? I will not tolerate any single one of those things being fuckered with.

3 is my favorite. I love the stratums, flooded world theme, music, and classes. Beast Tamer and Princess are the best classes IMO.

Too busy "localizing" P5. Hopefully they don't actually ruin the game script like most of us think.

I don't think Atlus will retain dual audio for EO5, P5 will probably be the exception. At least there is 3DS CFW for undubs.

EOV english when you fuckers?

Never ever

Fantranslation when?

Is it blasphemy to say i hated EO4 and its overworld? The isolated dungeons were much better.

0% chance of me purchasing the title.

I wonder what will become of Etrian Odyssey when Nintendo stops making dual screen handhelds.

Maybe you should just import it, then.

Sometime this year, probably. If I had to guess somewhere around June-July. But there's been no official word.

EO4 is the weakest in the series. It's still good, just slightly disappointing coming from EO3.

It's okay, Teach. CFW is easier than ever now, undubs will be easy, I promise!

You guys that haven't played EO5 yet don't know the definition of overpowered until you experience the 5 shaman endgame party.

This shit is like hexer in EO2 levels of broken.

EO1 is the weakest main game, EOU2 if you include remakes.

Honest question about the Untolds: is their classic mode any good? I've heard the forced story modes are terrible, but the original games had fucking awful balance which was apparently fixed in the remakes.

I havent never played any of these games, but i sure love to get one for 3DS, what should i get?

Pros/cons?

3 was my favorite. I would rec starting with 2, then 3. Personally i didnt like 4, but thats me. I heard EOU1 was ok, but jewed a bit.

EO3 is a very great and easy game to get into. Definitely worth looking into. EO4 might also be a valid choice if you find it easier to obtain, but it a bit unconventional compared to the rest of the series.

EO2 is great, but it's also both unconventional like EO4 but harder. Definitely worth playing, but I'd look into it after you're familiar. The original EO is very dated and unless you're curious isn't that worth looking into, and going into it first might scare you away from the rest of the series. I'd recommend playing EOU on Classic mode instead (skip the intro cutscene and don't even consider Story mode, trust me) if you're interested in seeing how this one turned out. Also never use Floor Jump. Even after you beat EOU, it's still not a 100% accurate remake of the original (different dungeon layout), so if you're really curious you might want to pick up the original, but if it starts getting really boring/grindy, drop it.

EOU2 incase you're curious is a remake of EO2, but changes the balance completely, and there's a lot of jewish changes (DLC) and questionable design decisions. Would not recommend paying for it. Getting through other means might be valid of course, but personally I prefer the original.

EO5 is not out in the states but I've heard good things about it. EOMD is a Mystery Dungeon game.

All the DS games should be cheap off of Amazon so get them new if you can.

In short

EO3 is best starting point. Don't start with the first game. EOU2 is jewish.

No, you're thinking of EOU2. EOU doesn't have jewery. Questionable decisions, but now Jewish ones.

pic related

Play them in the order of 1,2,3,4,5. Playing EOU1/2 in classic mode, lunatic difficulty, without paying for them, is acceptable alternatives to the originals.

There's no major overarching story though, nor any reason to really do so.

Why the fuck are you saging while contributing to the thread?

My local store sells EO4 for 34$ (new) so i think ill get that.

Good choice, can't go wrong with either EO3 or EO4 as your starting point.

I don't know why everyone always says this, because I didn't find it to be the case. I started with 1 and had a lot of fun with it.
Sure it doesn't have as much polish as the later games but it's still a great game and definitely worth at least one playthrough.

What about the evolution of mechanics and stuff

EOV when

Did EOV's FM OST come out/get uploaded anywhere yet?

Yes.

time to start searching then

Is there anyone out there trying to make an undub for EO1?

Just get the real game

2>4>3>1>remakes
if u dont agree ur a fag

Playing EO4 in the first maze and it just feels kinda weird. My party is level 13ish and it just doesn't really feel right, I run out of mana a lot, and it's kind of grindy. How should I be digesting this game? What should I be doing?

If you run out of mana, it's because you are dumb and investing in skills improperly. Git gud, or ride it out.

The first stratum in EO games is usually the hardest because your party won't yet have grown into their roles. Stick with it, once they've levelled up a bit you'll have enough TP to spam skills more which makes fights go faster.
And as the other guy said, git gud.

for real? fuck that, dubs are cancer, not even eo5 is worth it.

Yuzo Koshiro just released the original PC88 compositions of a few EO tracks. These are different from the FM tracks released on the OSTs, which were touched up with higher quality samples, and had several instruments replaced with samples and filters.

dropbox.com/s/y99oarzr2blmdpv/sq1_88_selected.mp3?dl=0

Any eo3? Best ost in the series.

It's only 3 tracks. First labyrinth theme from EO1, a battle theme from EO1, and another track I can't identify.

Also found out he has a soundcloud where he only posts "retro-style" tracks:
soundcloud.com/yuzo_koshiro/tracks

Third part sounds like the first dungeon theme from EO2.

Aha! Finally figured out where the first track that I couldn't recognize is from. It's from the "Prototype Sampler" CD of what I guess were either unreleased beta tracks, or from pre-production when he was trying to figure out the sound of the game. Gimme a sec and I'll upload it.

oh neat, some EO arrangements on there.

EO Lab. 1 Famicom+VRC6
soundcloud.com/yuzo_koshiro/etrian_odyssey_1

EO3 Their Own Brand of Justice GIMIC (what I gather is an FM synthesis emulator VST)+PCM
soundcloud.com/yuzo_koshiro/etrian_odyssey_3_their_own_bra

EO2 Battle Theme 2 OPN/OPNA (both mono 3 FM channel and stereo 6 FM channel variations)
soundcloud.com/yuzo_koshiro/etrian_odyssey_battle_theme_2

EO1 Lab. 1 OPNA (same song from the dropbox link)
soundcloud.com/yuzo_koshiro/etrian_odyssey_1_dungeon_1

Actual Spoilers: EO1 Labyrinth 5 - The Capital of Shinjuku Wavetable-style
soundcloud.com/yuzo_koshiro/etrian_odyssey_1-shunjyuku

No, confirmed it was from EO1. Tracklist is:
Prototype - Batoru Kiyoku Autoteiku 2
EO1 - Battle - Destruction Begets Decay
EO1 - Labyrinth I - The Green Green Woodlands

Here's the "prototype soundtrack sampler"
my.mixtape.moe/vyxhzz.zip

01-yuzo_koshiro-danjon_shisakusatsukiyoku_(pcm)-cocmp3.mp3 a2de1d41
02-yuzo_koshiro-sento_shisakusatsukiyoku_(pcm)-cocmp3.mp3 62a5ddb4
03-yuzo_koshiro-danjon_shisakusatsukiyoku_(pcm_and_fm)-cocmp3.mp3 7d41486c
04-yuzo_koshiro-danjon_jitsukenkiyoku_(fm)-cocmp3.mp3 4d4d0896
05-yuzo_koshiro-batoru_kiyoku_autoteiku_(fm)-cocmp3.mp3 ad0ea8f4
06-yuzo_koshiro-batoru_kiyoku_autoteiku_2_(fm)-cocmp3.mp3 3d7ac878
07-yuzo_koshiro-opuningu_furubajon_densetsu_no_uta_yuukan_narutachi-cocmp3.mp3 8ebf032a

I'm trying to solo as fortress in EO4, but I had to respec my lvl 50 char and do a new game+.
It's actually pretty easy, you don't have to worry about guarding all the time and you can fully restore hp and tp each round. Battles aren't terribly slow either.

So is there actually cute yuri in these games or is that just fapbait

No weebshit except for the story modes from the Untolds.

I appreciate the effort, but those files are low bitrate and poorly tagged. Go here for the majority of your EO music needs. pastebin.com/6cmH2LjS

WHEN IS EOV
H
E
N

Never ever.

atlus has a hate boner for western audiences that demand translations of eastern games, instead of learning the language.

Being a big fan of the Growlanser series I could say just the opposite.

Someday sumday

Started playing EO1 from de DS.

Should I mark random enemy encounters on the map with the "monster" marker or should I use the monster marker in specific situations?

You'll know when to use the monster marker when you get to the third floor, I think. It all becomes clear as you explore.

Thank you.
Any recommended party? I started without a medic and just noticed when it was too late.

Been too long since I played it, but I know I had a medic, survivalist, and protector the entire time. Finding a good party composition is part of the fun.

I still need to beat 4 and go through 3's end game. I pretty much rushed through 1 and 2 and ended up burning myself out.

Medic+Protector for invincibility. No real wrong way to do it though.

Probably gonna try out Etrian Odyssey 4 tonight. It will be my first time playing Etrian Odyssey game. If 4 a okay place to start?

Yes, it's fine. There's really no BEST game to start with. They're not sequels. However the first and second ones are a bit more difficult (the first one is easily broken though) than the rest. Keep in mind that you might not stick with your first party for a long time. Once you have an idea of what work and what doesn't you'll want to remake your party or try new things.

tfw got the game used in perfect condition for 11 eurobux

I got it for about 13 bongbux, not a bad price either.
I've noticed the prices have gone up by like 50% in the past couple of years. Is the DS old enough now that it games are considered "retro" and hipsters are buying them?

So I'm a couple hours in EO4 and I'm enjoying myself. A few questions though.

Is map accuracy only graded on walls and floors? Should I be putting floors and walls under and around the elephant looking rocks?

Is there anyway to wait whiling exploring so FOEs can move while you stay in place?

Lastly do these dialogue options have any meaning to them or are they just some flavour text?

Thank you for the advice. Not knowing where to start with this series had made me put off trying it for years.

Draw walls anywhere the foliage/environment blocks you walking or seeing, around trees, rocks, whatever. Obviously use door icons for doors, chest icons for chests, and so on. Floors just get painted wherever you can walk and under chests. For the map grading, I think all the game looks for is complete filling of walls, floors, and doors.
No, make some creative paths back and forth or in variable size loops to position FOEs where you want.
Just flavor. The A or B options you're given in dialog don't lead anywhere, but the choices in certain spots in the labyrinth either trigger an event or not. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. Sometimes really bad.

FUCK YOU NINTENDO

Way too many close-calls during that quest. Got plenty of experience though.

i have been playing 2, whats lunatic mode?

That user meant Expert mode from the Untold remakes. They have three difficulty settings: Picnic, Normal and Expert with the third one roughly having the same difficulty compared to the originals.