Help Holla Forums

help Holla Forums

I've been accepted into a game development program (one of the better things I could do considering my mediocre average because I haven't been doing my school work) for a university degree

what should I expect? What should I be doing to not irreparably fuck things up? How can I make vidya not cancerous again in the event that I actually can make vidya?

Other urls found in this thread:

youvisit.com/tour/panoramas/uoit/80832?module=panoramas&id=24188&pl=v&m_prompt=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Well, you could start by taking photos of the shit they're teaching/assigning you in class for Holla Forums's amusement/rage. I remember some user doing so for a while last year or so.

Get out and major in something practical or make your own games on your own time. Game design is just next social/liberal arts degrees in their uselessness.

You should expect absolute cancer.
Learn a trade, faget

I haven't accepted yet, but what would you consider practical/enjoyable/attainable for a 18-year old leaf with a mediocre average?

And I don't think it's game design per se, here's the course review (you'll probably find out which uni it is if you search it):

The Game Development and Entrepreneurship program is designed to provide students with a wide range of game design development expertise. You will be immersed in the game design and development process from day one and will develop video games beginning in your first year. Successful students develop their technical, management and entrepreneurial knowledge and skills in a diverse team environment. They learn to work with programmers, artists, and designers to create innovative products that push the medium to its limits. You will acquire the knowledge and skills required to quickly advance your career in the gaming, interactive media, and simulation industries (among others), or become an entrepreneur in charge of developing and managing your own gaming/interactive media studio.

An innovative gaming and virtual reality laboratory is equipped with state-of-the-art software and equipment including motion capture facilities, an audiometric (sound) room, 3D displays, and the latest in interaction devices to allow for the development of high-quality animation, 3D models, sound recording and production, game engines and gameplay code. Students may take the required business courses to obtain a minor in Marketing, Game Programming, Game Production Management, or Operations Management.

Courses include:

Algorithms and Data Structures
Animation and Production
Artificial Intelligence for Gaming
Game Engine Design and Implementation
Human Computer Interaction
Introduction/Advanced Entrepreneurship
Introduction/Intermediate/Advanced Game Design
Law and Ethics of Game Development
Marketing for IT
Object-Oriented Programming

Re-reading what I just posted I'm particularly concerned about

Enjoy tublrwhales and muh stronk female developers

You are already doomed.

I would drop out. Now.

Boy, I bet your colleges on the whole are infested with leftist indoctrination, that tract included. Though to be fair, it's not as if the US is free of that either (though bless the people attempting to rectify that; one of my state reps is pushing for political agenda pushing classes to be removed on all sides from our state's campuses, and since we're a pretty red state he might just succeed).

You guys need a Trump-esque leader soon or you're going to find a wall at your southern border too.

You're doomed.
t. user who took a year of uni and regretted it.

I was born in the maple syrup user, raised by it, molded by it. I had not seen the light until I was already a man

What's the worst they can do? I might have to just play along and pretend to be about all that jazz like I usually do/more than currently because I don't play along

Maybe through indie vidya I can save the world user

someone's gotta do it

Fellow leaf here. I went through Software Engineering (4-year program), but not in vidya. Most people drop out and get into comp. sci. instead (2 years). Universities are a total fucking waste of time. You will learn no more and no less than sweet dick fuck all. You are only getting a paper at the end. Protip: if you really wanna go into IT, get into comp sci with no vidya, but focus on your own personal programming projects. Employers don't give a fuck about your grades, they want to see you going to hackathons and having a bunch of personal projects.

Even better tip, do what most people here have told you and learn a fucking trade like woodworking/cabinet making, plumbing, metal-working, shit nigga anything that can't be outsourced to chinks and pajeets.

WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T DRINK THE KOOL-AID

fair points but a minor rebuttal is that the program focuses specifically on entrepreneurship instead of slaving away under ubisoft

Not in a million years user

Somehow I think the idea then would be to do the assignments to get the grade, but take to heart to do the opposite of what sort of shit they try to teach you, at least as far as stuff that doesn't actually affect making a game from the technical end.

This too. I had a year or so break from classes at my community college (final class was an "offered once every four semesters" deal). When I left things were fine, when I came back, everything was leftist, there was a push for adding Art to STEM, plenty of "not all muslims" tier garbage, and the school itself was wasting money setting up safe spaces for triggered students and teaching professors how to properly deal with people coming out in class and shit (like that's just something that's going to happen enough to be an issue). At least we didn't have a "The Problem with Whiteness" class that the nearby four year college did though.

Aite nigga you still don't seem to get how abysmal this shit is. Have green text.

Do you guys have ANY more notable resident game companies out there?

I've been playing through some Canuck made game aping classic JRPGs lately and while solid on the technical end and overall being a far better example than cancerous trash like YIIK among the "WRPG pretending to be a JRPG" subset, I'm not sure what to make of the actual content yet at this point. Not sure if I ought to be sad or not at this point that Studio Archcraft went under after a single game.

Very much this. I do have a sneaking suspicion that my generation and the next few years are going to be progressively less pozzed. I remember a while ago witnessing some juvenile kids looking at memes or some stupid shit and mixed in would always be some "alt-rite memes" and they would laugh at it like everything else.

Anyways I sympathize with your situation user and I thank you for contributing so far to my humble thread

ABANDON SHIP

according to wikipedia the devs of Sins of a Solar Empire are also Canadian.

a bunch of branches for american companies I noticed.

https:// en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_game_companies_of_Canada

I've seen Holla Forums say that Gen Z is shaping up to be surprisingly hard right compared to boomers and most millennials. Hopefully they can keep it up throughout their education.

Did he have an actual honest to goodness reason for using ASCII throughout the entire class (IE: honing the importance of old languages that could still be useful for GameFAQs guides), or was that just his style?

Yup it's a leaf

Droo out
Find a job, develop part time

I'm not done, there's more.

I personally believe he was autistic. There was no "honing importance" of anything but the church of Haskell in that course. He was like one of those smug hipsters that use some obscure programming language to feel superior to people with jobs.

Here's the best fucking part. The faculty and staff all KNOW about all the shit teachers and know EXACTLY how bad they are. But they can't/won't do shit about it because "tenure" (and also because anyone in soft eng that can find a job wouldn't be at a uni teaching).

like pottery

was this uni somewhere in the states? If so (or not) how big was the student body overall and was STEM the principal focus of your school?

Well I guess you leafs can at least say some of your own worked on Eternal Darkness, since it seems Silicon Knights was Canadian based. So that;s at least something.

Faggot poo-in-the-loo didn't hear about his own kind back home praising the Golden Don?

And of course it all comes back down to tenure and that nobody can tell them how to run their class. Faggots.

dye your hair, fold your wang and accuse your superior of sexual harassment at first opportunity

You can't unless you sell your soul and become one of them. Once you are famous and recognized then you can start kicking the cancer out - that is, if you managed to protect yourself from years of indoctrination and the regret of all the shit you had to do to become one of them

I'm still not done. Here's a fucking pearl:

I'm in one of the big 3 universities in Montreal. This is a massive organization.

You can't make this shit up

Jesus Fuck

Wow. I guess at that point too much of a good thing actually winds up fucking depressing overall.

I miss the old school stories (and other particular topics) threads old half/r9k/ had back when it was pretty much just greentext-sans-frontieres, before it devolved in ">tfw no gf". Those were the days. Closest I tend to see now is just Holla Forums here talking about times they blew their teachers attempts at indoctrination out.

Still not fucking done

what's the full picture?

expect left-wingers
expect SJWs
expect hipsters

Hope it's not as bad as Yale School of Art's website. "Oh it's an art project so it can't be wrong." Fucking bullshit, art can still be wrong when it fails at its fucking purpose (in the case of a website, being easily usable and NOT a clusterfuck).

Reminds me of Maes Hughes, except Hughes was likable. And if that teacher is going full JUST with his life, I have to wonder how many people would cry if died.

If you want to
MGGA
it's going to take more than just learning how games are created.
I'd recommend making "fuck you" levels of money, then using some to create a studio.

As a guy who's actually been involved with making vidya, I can tell you that maybe two of those courses are actually somewhat useful.

If you take all of these then you're being completely unrealistic.
Animation and Production, Marketing and Engine Design are almost never handled by one person, and even when they are the games are usually terrible, short or have rather long development times. Cave Story is fantastic, but it took Daisuke Amaya over five years to make the game when a team of four could have made it in 18 months.

My stories arent so bad in comparison. Granted I was enrolled in 2008 in a 2 year compsci course before sjw took hold

We had a pajeet named Anju for most of our legacy classes eg cobol and mainframe shit. There were no new students between classes and she always startes from the "beg-inning" and explained about "whariables" and basic concepts we've heard like 4 times

We had two semesters of Java and didnt even cover all the language features like generics. Awful course but the teachers were nice enough

ITT: Shit that never happened.

I am STILL NOT FUCKING DONE

Our website cost more than 30 million dollars (maplebux, and no, I shit you not, 30mil dollars for a fucking student service website isntead of hiring THE FUCKING STUDENTS YOU ARE TEACHING TO DO A MUCH BETTER FUCKING JOB FOR ALMOST FREE) and nobody uses it because of how fucking broken it is. There are 5+ different ways of accessing the same content from 2+ redundant menus. The schedule generator and course enrolment tools worked so poorly that people literally drew MSPAINT schedules by themselves and had to go in-person to the administration to register for their courses (because that shit thought having pre-reqs and not having them, let alone checking for schedule conflicts, was like division by 0)

Isn't that kind of par for the course in Canuckistan? Or did Mister "Canada has no culture" Turd really start pushing that shit recently? Admittedly not that well versed on what happens up there.

While I'm sure that blows Yale's art site out of the water in budgeting just for a shitty website, I'm still not entirely sure it's worse. A few samples of what Yale students think constitutes a decent site (spoilers because it's fucking atrocious). I don't care if your school is about art, your fucking website needs to not be well above "baffling" at best and definitely above "eyebleeding" at worst. One time I checked here and the entire background for the homepage was a single photo of a pizza tiled across it. If your school's got a worse site, by all means, I would love to know what the url is for future reference (assuming the whole site is like that, both public and private areas).

Assuming that's the "artwork", I think that sums up both modern art and education. I'd hate to think about how much people are paying to learn to do that shit.

Most likely you're merely be a dev and will have to follow orders, so nothing you can do.

Also you are irrelevant. In modern software industry, everything is made so that you can be easily replaced in case you leave the company or move to a different project, and to save up on employees' salary. That includes code standardization, only one way of doing things, use and abuse of pre-made libraries instead of writing your own implementations, and overall any sort of coding you do that requires any kind of higher reasoning is probably in a library software you have to use.

Jesus christ my eyes hurt just from looking at that site.

I don't know what's worse anymore. Thank you for showing me other uni also have no fucking clue about whatever the fuck it is they're claiming to teach.

I'm willing to believe hoping that these are the results of students having a laugh. If you were a student and given permission to make a site that the whole uni has to use, would you not make utter garbage with the knowledge that it is immune to criticism?

Here, have some pics from campus. The first one is a service they actually fucking offer.

You just replaced the backgrounds with funny pictures using the inspect element thing right

that's not actually the fuckin' webpage, right?

Welcome to Yale School of Art.

Yale's site is at least functional, but fucking hell is it horrendously designed.

If I was allowed to make a joke page, maybe. But considering it's a public site and prospective applicants are liable to be browsing it, making it look like complete and utter shit isn't helping matter and much more likely to turn people off of it. If it is an elaborate joke, chances are low that the viewer is going to understand it as such. Even with the excuse of "it's art, teehee" that is no excuse for marketing yourselves and your school in such shitty fashion.

The flying FUCK is that supposed to mean? At first I misread it as "alternative masturbation" and had to do a double take.

So dildos and tampons then?

That last image about dildos and vidya is a bit blurry. Did the guy writing the vidya thing defend or object to preorders? Let me guess, "preordered dindu nuffin wrong to the industry."

No, I did not fuck with the CSS. Go look up Yale School of Art's webpage if you must.

ENJOY YOUR AIDS

Oh my god it's real
oh my fuck

it says "oh we've all preordered, I know, fellow goyim, but you know sometimes it's not good to do that, you just have to think about how badly you really want the game because it's not always that good" and proceeds to state that kotaku, rock paper shotgun, polygon et al. warned people about preordering.

It's a normalfag that doesn't realize that preordering isn't just "sometimes not worth it", but a terminal form of absolute cancer

Also notice the prime issue:
So any random chucklefuck enrolled there can change the bulk the pages, at least in terms of CSS. It's likely that whoever is actually supposed to run the site only has control of the HTML and any changes he might want to do to make the sight a bit more readable would be met with cries of censoring the artists of the school.

Again, that is the art division of a very well known, expensive college. Just because the students are paying assloads to experiment with art doesn't mean the school website ought to be too. At least if you ask me.

T-thanks f-fam. I deserve it. Then again it's not like it's any better at McGIll

If you wish to stay in college, get out and get a real degree. If you don't care, stay in college until you find a nice job and just say fuck it later. If you are having issues with money, don't go to college and just get a job. If you can't stand the people any longer than go to your local gun store.

You'll do OK, Satan. I'm at UVic.

It's actually ironic how campus life gets worse the better the school is, that's something I've observed with UBC vs. UCal/SFU/UVic. I guess you're more in the libshit bubble so you don't see what's outside, whereas UVic's full of hicks and oldfags fresh out the navy and it seems more down to earth. McGill's the same situation.

Computer science major senior here from a uni with a decent CS course and a shitty game design course, to try and shift this out.
Pretty standard courses. Although It's pretty weird to see algorithms and data structures mashed together like that.
Wildcard class. Depends on who's teaching and what they're teaching you.
Probably taught by former drug dealers who got a job at uni teacher somehow. Google your teachers and see if they have a criminal record.
I had a freind who's game design teacher was convicted for dealing meth
Good times
Obligatory business requirement. Unless the teacher's a godsend who's going to teach you some motherfuckin' wisdom you should duck out.
Probably the only class here that will produce any resume worthy results in the form of baby's first unreal game.
obligitory Ethics class. Same thing as for buisness, unless the person teacher it is a formal lawer with a backround in Game development(trademark cases, employee rights stuff, and copyright) duck out early and often.
A*
Embrace it and become a sociable fuck boi with god tier networking.

It is at my school. That's weird. Do you cover sorting and searching in one class, and trees and lists in another class altogether? To me, it seems strange not to mash them together.

can confirm, mine is being taught by a /wildcard/ greek dude

Yeah, that's a pretty strong theory. I hear STEM-only unis/institutions don't have to deal with as much bullshit either, even though it's there anyhow.

Don't even waste your time.

We have formal algorithm courses throughout the major culminating in an Analysis of Algorithm course at the senior level and a dedicated class called Data Structures which covers a lot of those concepts in one class which is why I found it weird.

I should probably pick up a web language at some point.

You don't cover data structures until senior year? what's your textbook? we've got Sedgewick/Wayne.

No, just Analysis of Algorithms. And like I said there are several courses that cover algorithms up until that point.

I'm gonna be honest with you, game development is not something you should get a degree in. I've got a BS in Game Programming (same stupid mistake you're about to make) and it's not worth a dime. Take that cash and do something else. It'll probably run you 50-100k for that degree. College is expensive. The one you're looking at seems to be $6,000-$11,000 per year, the one I went to was higher but had a larger, dedicated program.

1. Take the money and invest in yourself. Do not go to college. Join the local game scene if there is one, and teach yourself gamedev. Go to a community college with some of those funds if you want a proper programming degree, but understand that NO ONE can teach you to be a game developer. It is a WHOLLY LEARNED profession, you will NOT learn this in a school. Use your funds to start an LLC and self-publish small games, hire freelancers, and generally use the money to get yourself involved with the gamedev scene as a whole. Go to GDC a few times, it'll show you the state of this industry far better than a degree.

2. Use your funds to get a reputable computer engineering degree, CS or Infosec/Netsec. Use that degree/certifications to get a big boy job for a few years and get some real experience and some solid cash. That will give you a huge edge over the other thousands of idiots applying to Bungie or Blizzard or wherever you dream of going. Live cheap, and in your free time learn gamedev using your general production knowledge and do the above option, with a focus on gamedev being a hobby instead of a business. When you've got funds saved up and some experience, apply to AAA studios for a real job. Look for entry-level or internships, and even if you're not qualified apply anyways.

3. Choose an entirely different degree and give up. It's not a bad option, to be honest. A lot of people come into gamedev here because they like playing games, but developing them is an entirely different beast.

Now, on to your specific circumstances:

Never heard of their program. Ontario isn't bad as a place, I believe Digital Extremes is up there and (despite their game) they're pretty cool developers. You've also got Big Viking Games, Big Blue Bubble, Halfbot, and Tictac. DE is the biggest, otherwise they're all small or… strange. Look them up to get an idea of what they look for when hiring. Since these guys are local, they might hire out of UoIT but really you should just call them up (or tweet) and ask. They will give you advice you can use to decide what option to take. They might even give you a tour if you're earnest and not awkward or weird about it. See if they do internships, DE probably does.

>youvisit.com/tour/panoramas/uoit/80832?module=panoramas&id=24188&pl=v&m_prompt=1
Looks like you get one room dedicated to your program.
Pics related.

My personal opinion: you'll probably have a lot of fun, but once you leave you'll be hopelessly behind and underqualified and probably in a lot of debt.

If you do go through with it, and I think that would be a mistake:

Remember that there are thousands of (you)s out there, and they all want the same limited number of jobs. Apply yourself 120% in college to set yourself apart from the faceless masses and you'll have a shot.

General suggestions:

"Well today I guess I'll be bleeding through the anus"

Also even more general college stuff:

(polite sage, just wanted to add some things)

"I think I'll use my biohazard waste to make muffins and give them out to everyone"

I wouldn't recommend Digital Extremes. Got some bad vibes from the head guy there. One thing with game development is you really have to save, like you said, because you need to move all over the country or even to another country to find a stable developer who can pay you well. Not a lot of those exists.

Looks like a millennialcuck is about to get his shit pushed in

Even joking about such things makes me feel ill.

You're in fucking Montreal. Expect the SJW bullshit out the ass. Positive side is Quebec pays the lowest college and university fees in the country.

What is this going to be about? Are they going to mention Gamergate and how all games are misogynist?

What are you, a misogynist? Only a woman hating, transwoman raping, victim denying gamergate supporter would refuse to eat the delicious menstrual blood muffins.

Compared to all of this my side courses in Computer Science have been downright pleasant.

OP here, thank you user, you're like the responsible father that I never had.

I've been accepted to a few other universities and programs but it's dry business and polisci shit t. Holla Forums regular that and applying to the RMC which seems to almost be out of the question at this point.

anyone know the full pic? I gotta know.