ZSNES is just better

Am I crazy to think that ZSnes is a better emulator than Higan? Everytime I use Higan I get some odd stuttering, even though the fps counter stays at a constant 60. This happens with every game, whereas ZSnes plays every game so smoothly it feels like my eyes are getting massaged (aside from actual moments of slowdown that were present in the original hardware). inb4 get a better PC. No, my rig can run Dolphin perfectly and play pretty much any game released today. Is Higan really as good as people say, or is ZSnes just superior to this day?

Also, SNES emulation thread?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/ga2sq
s9x-w32.de/dl/
github.com/libretro/RetroArch
ar­st­ec­hn­ica.com/gaming/2011/08/accuracy-takes-power-one-mans-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Kill yourself
http:// please use archive.is/gaming/2011/08/accuracy-takes-power-one-mans-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

No, it just means that you aren't autistic.

I broke the fucking link, isn't that enough?
archive.is/ga2sq

MUH ACCURACY

I use Snes9x

It doesn't even use up half of my CPU (4690k) running a game like Mega Man X. About 40% at best.

Either original hardware or Snes9x. Get the fuck out.

it's like I'm really back on 4chan Holla Forums

epin OP, simply epin

nice dubs thread

*or mednafen or retroarch

What
If you wanted accuracy, isn't higan the way to go? More to the point, ZSnes runs on fucking everything. It ran on my Pentium 2.

VC=SNES9X>ZSNES>"accurate" emulators
Just buy a SNES online and use a flash cart if you have to be autistic.

Virtual Console is beyond accurate you fucking millennial faggot.

So does Snes9x, idiot.

Wow.
Mark is too lazy to deal with it

The menu is shit. My cursor flies all over the place.

It's a shit emulator made for DOS, just use snes9x, nigger.

Are you inbred?

What were you rating then? Because VC emulation is all around lackluster and pathetic.

So is your mother, but I still use her every night.

Not an argument ;)

They're both amazing technical accomplishments for opposite reasons.

ZSNES is less appreciated today because of the explosion in computer processing power, but being able to run Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana on a 486 is and was mindblowing, accuracy be damned.

Are you gonna praise NESticle next?

Snes9x or out

Nigger SNES9x or mednafen will run fine on that CPU, plus they play more games than Zcucknes.

Are you retarded?

Then if you're going by convenience and ease of use VC is even, especially if you've bought VC across multiple platforms

I think all he's saying is that ZSNES was amazing for it's time but now that hardware has increased it's been outpaced. I would say SNES9x is the best one out on the market but I haven't tried Retroarch. I would if I could figure out how to find a linux repo and not just a fucking copy of the SNES9x module.

**is even worse

Retroarch's cores are pretty much the same as the individual emulators with the added benefit of RAs own shaders and countless settings for ease of use.

short answer: yes
long answer: it was never a terribly good emulator. like ten or fifteen years ago when it was the only one with any real support it was the best simply because any others fuckin sucked. it also had the benefit of word of mouth in those dark days in the early 2000s when web advertising wasn't the norm. nowadays it's literally the worst choice you could make

Back then circa 2001 Snes9x was already better.

zsnes had netplay and as far as i remember snes9x didn't, at least at that point in time

So I guess Snes9x is just better?

Yes you retarded nigger. Dump Zcuck, that shit hasn't been updated in 10 fucking years as of this month.

Snes9x was always more accurate than zsnes, and in their early years it ran more games.
However zsnes had a nicer interface, netplay, but I think the main reason for its popularity was that it had much lower system requirements / was less resource intensive than Snes9x - this difference became insignificant later on as PCs became more powerful, but was pretty significant in the early 2000s. I remember zsnes would run everything at a steady 60 fps on my 400 MHz Pentium II, while Snes9x would still chug a lot.

For me, the latest Snes9x svn build is the best option for SNES emulation today. Lots of features, filters and options, and it's light years ahead of zsnes in accuracy without Higan's full retarded autism.

PASOFAMI > EVERYTHING

And a ching chong nip nong to you

>yfw Byuu will make Higan more complicated out of spite because Trump won

Why should I give a fuck about "accuracy" when everything runs buttery smooth on any machine?

Fucking autists.

You are probably not very bright.

Gee I don't know faggot

We already talked about SNES9X

where do you think are?

ebin b8

The only retard here is you for getting all up in a tiffy over muh accuracy which is redundant when there already exists a emulator that runs 99% of games at full speed with no issues whatsoever.

Holy shit I couldn't keep a straight face after 1:53

user, you need to try harder than that.

For actual playability, yeah, ZSNES is a better emulator than Higan. Hell, any other emulator is a better playability emulator than Higan. Higan's one and only goal is to be a 100% accurate SNES emulator which offers no real advantage to the actual end-user and consumes an order of magnitude more power than a "hackier" emulator like SNES9x.

If your goal is playing a fucking video game then emulator accuracy is totally unimportant so long as the game plays.

I like emulation innacuracies, and some of the magical Journeys you can go through, there was this old snes emulator that stitched every level of SMW2 together.

There is no reason in this day and age to even consider ZSNES outside of two edge case, you wanna play old romhacks that rely on ZSNES exclusive behavior or you have a DOS/95/98 machine and you want to dick around with it.

If you were bait posting, you could've saved yourself some humiliation

user, please. One thing is to say "Nestopia is a piece of shit, Punes is better" because of accuracy, when Nestopia pretty much runs everything without a noticeable problem.
But ZSNES is in another fucking league, some games either plain not work, sound like shit, look like shit, or glitch like hell at random points. Almost the entire thing is coded in assembly and has not been updated for a fucking decade. It's time to forget it exists.

Good thing that both of those are irrelevant now that mesen exists.

But we're talking Higan, not one of the forks. And sure, it'll run on Higan, while consuming an exorbitant amount of processing power as compared to any other emulator available to you.

BUT user IT JUST WERKS YOUR BEING AUTISTIC!!

Look, I used it a lot when I had a toaster, if you still have one then by all means use it, but don't kid yourself that it's actually good when compared to the other options

So? it's not like it's relevant nowadays unless you're on a toaster, and even then SNES9x exists, hell fucking SNESGT exists why the fuck would you even consider ZSNES for actually playing games.

But I fucking hate pastrami. Corned beef master race.

People with gaymin' PCs (or even mediocre-to-decent builds) are in the minority user, you ever looked in one of those PC specs threads? For every guy that runs stuff no problem in Higan there's a hundred that can't run shit in Higan.

I don't, I'm saying for the average Joe Sixpack it's a better choice than Higan.

Do you also use the Ask toolbar?

And you know what has the accessibility of ZSNES for Joe Sixpack with even greater compatibility and stability? This thing that starts with S and ends in NES9X aka an emulator that's been brought up a million times here.

ZSNES has absolute zero use for anyone, even normalfags.

I remember a friend of mine telling me he didn't like snes9x because games sounded funny, turns out he got used to the glitchy ass zsnes sounds

Byuu himself (the author of bsnes and Higan) recommends Snes9x when accuracy isn't your prime concern. Snes9x is faster and more accurate than the balanced build of Higan. Your choices for SNES emulation these days should be higan-accuracy for accuracy or Snes9x for performance.

it isn't 2000 anymore grandpa, use higan

I have used SNES9x for years ever since I tried ZSNES and found the sound lacking.

What is this Higan and should I consider trying it? Does accuracy matter when SNES9x just works?

Download Retroarch and try one of the higan cores that is better suited for you.

Non-ZSNES emulators lack the comfy main menu of ZSNES. Who would want to give that up?

Because ZMZ exists.

What is talking about. It's the ZSNES GUI with libretro hacked in to run SNES9x or bsnes.

He took all the faster cores out of later versions, and cut down the GUI drastically. You're way better off using them in RetroArch.

If only ZMZ were a menu plugin for RetroArch instead of a gimped and abandoned frontend for LibRetro.

Someone please write it as a menu plugin.

What the fuck is up with Retroarch's menu? Are you supposed to use a controller for everything? Is there a way to set it so it's not retarded?

That would be sweet.

Yes. No. There's been a nonfunctional mouse menu driver based on PPSSPP included to troll people for the past 50 versions, though.

This will have been the second time you've completely missed the original statement of "ZSNES is a better choice than Higan for playing video games" to pursue some bizarre-ass tangent about ZSNES being a shit emulator which I haven't actually gone against.

Not happening , but someone might get around to finishing up ZARCH (PPSSPP meets ZSNES style GUI)

I'm just asking what benefits Higan actually offers over SNES9x. I have no complaints with my current emulator but I'm in an experimental mood. When people say it's more accurate does that mean that SNES9x isn't? I never touched any of the setting for that emulator aside from controls.

Looking at 9X's site, neither has it been updated for 10 years.
Higan runs like ass for me, but ZSNES justwerks. I don't really give a shit about accuracy, I just want it to werk at 30 FPS without slowdown.

Snes9X Next you dense nigger, the fucking fork that has been updated regularly. The fact that you use ZSNES because "it just works" is really amusing to me, this level of retardation is something that i would only expect from reddit.

ZSNES and Snes9X use shortcuts to speed up emulation. In most cases the tradeoff isn't noticable, but it's usually the case wrt. sound or special effects (clever hardware usage or anything involving the SuperFX or other addon chips).

Calm down, I only care about DKC anyway. I couldn't care less if some jap only game has glitchy sounds.
Besides that, after googling for the best SNES emulator I clicked on a reddit thread which recommended Higan.

Snes9X is better than Higan, also DKC

…also DKC runs more accurately on S9XN

The lastest release of Snes9x was 3 months ago.

s9x-w32.de/dl/

Ok, thanks.

bsnes is what you'd use to test ROM hacks if you can't get a proper system, because it attempts to behave like a real SNES without just hacking around or ignoring tricker behaviours for speed. It's also necessary to run certain games albeit mostly crap ones, or to make some very minor things happen (think "slight flickering line in this screen")

Go with bsnes/Accuracy if your system runs it fast enough. Otherwise try the bsnes/Balanced core, then SNES9x. I don't recommend the old bsnes/Performance core it doesn't work with certain notable games. Also as stated further up, go RetroArch, not whatever the current official GUI is, he hasn't done a good one since the really old Qt-based one.

And by bsnes you mean Higan, right? Mind you, not saying bsnes is less accurate than Higan, I'm saying they're the same program.

Good luck with any game that uses a special chip like MMX2-3, MM7, Yoshi's Island, Star Fox 1-2, etc.

Not really no, it really doesn't matter I find. How many games can you not play on it that you can on other emulators? The Genesis and up on the other hand is a different story.

I grew up with only a PC, so my first exposure to Nintendo games was on a broken-ass ZSNES build running in DOS on my Pentium 2.

It still compared favorably to lots of PC shareware.

Yeah, that's so many games. I own all the special chip games I want to own, it wasn't expensive or hard.

Aren't you a special little snowflake

Ok, I just have one question regarding retroarch. I'm on the page and I don't see where the linux source is stored. I can find the cores but I can't find the main program. Any help?

No need to be butthurt just because you're a poor emulation fag.

github.com/libretro/RetroArch
Was googling "retroarch sources" too hard for you?

Silly me I thought going to the actual website because I'm not brain dead would yield what I was looking for. Crazy right?

Wowie

I'm a programmer, so I'm used to FOSS projects with shitty sites that don't even have links to the sources. More FOSS project sites have no direct path to get to the sources than ones that do. It's a fucking pain, and you're absolutely right, but programmers tend to be shit designers and almost always have absolutely no brain for usability.

But that user is right, the games that use the sfx chip aren't even the most expensive games on the system. Shit like Metal Warriors goes for ludicrous prices and it's my favorite game on the system for it's 2 player vs mode. That other user can play it on his flashcart.

I have a project I've been working on though and I have some questions for anyone in the thread. What's the easiest emulator to set up for android tv boxes? I was using snes9x+ for android but for some reason whenever I boot it now it goes to a black screen instead of the main menu, I've tried clearing it's data and re-installing but that hasn't helped much. I was setting up retroarch though but I'm not sure if that works with whatever frontend I end up using for my emulator stuff.

How about you go fuck yourself instead.

Yeah it threw me because the downloads page is a fucking mess.

Are you on a Pentium II or what?

What does Zsnes take, a p233? I know 0.98 was a great version and worked on p166 and only a handful of games didn't work like Megaman X2, 3, and similar.

Since then people stopped learning programming so all they know is html and derivatives which is why emulation is pretty dead.

1997 version of Zsnes. Yeah it kind of improved over years of development.

Yeah, now it has spyware that phones home.

Good attempt to mask your butthurt. Stay triggered by any mention of SNES flashcarts.

I was a Segafag.

My snes carts were stolen from me when I was in high school.

I have a Genesis flaschart, they are not such a big deal faggot.

Not really. Mednafen is having a go at Sega Saturn emulation, and my hopes are high given the stellar Playstaion and PC Engine cores it has. There's a 3DS and WiiU emulator in the works too.

Is that why you're throwing a fit? Because they're not a big deal?

I was talling about the goddamn SNES cartridges with special chips and you know it.

And I pointed out that the special chip games are easy to obtain and that there aren't many of them, I know that. However that doesn't explain your tantrum? Did a SD2SNES rape your mom?

They aren't even that expensive as far as SNES games go.

my mother gave away our snes for charity and i let her because i thought i wasn't going to be interested in that stufffeelsbadman

Why haven't you tracked down the bastard that did it? Too busy buying gatchapon down on the docks, Ryo?

1.5.0 is not from 1997 user, fun thing is that 0.800 run the game better despite actually being from 1997.

Has online netplay been added back in to either Snes9X or Higan/bsnes? I would love to play some Tetris Battle Gaiden online…

Direct Link cause Mark is a Jew Hotpocket

ar­st­ec­hn­ica.com/gaming/2011/08/accuracy-takes-power-one-mans-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

Stop it

Stop lying.

Maybe he nabbed jp copies, those aren't as pricy, you probably can find a Rockman X/X2/X3 cart for less than 50 without even digging much.

ZSNES can run with decent accuracy even on a potato, that's probably it's biggest advantage. For example, I have an old laptop from 2006 that I use for anything old-school.

No it doesn't

A laptop from that year can run SNES9X just fine.

user, seriously. Stop trying to shove cuck into every word.

Cuck detected.

Gee, I wonder who's behind this post

I used to talk to that fucking idiot all the time.
He used to host a server on Windows ME and it ran like shit and crashed every ten minutes.
His desktop was also entirely bright yellow comic sans because he was obsessed with the color yellow.

for what purpose

90% of the games have terrible slowdown and shitty audio

pick up a megadrive or pc engine instead

Fuck off, we have a filter on shitty sites for a reason.

You need to start working harder on your bait.

Why do mostly shitty emulators have GOD-TIER frontends and usability?

psxfin was sex
epsxe actually sucked but it has a great launcher built for it called quikplay
zsnes is great too

Epsxe is pretty good, have you used the latest version?

No i haven't touched it in a while.

do any of these have online multiplayer?

Accurate emulators like higan when you're on your PC, and some performance-oriented one full of game-specific hacks for when you're on mobile and battery life is important.
Anything else and you're a faggot

I wonder who could be behind this post.

That hit detection on the first goomba looks iffy.

Wew, the millenials already reached that age where they're not even adults and think they're old.

Are you implying VC is accurate?

No, the other guy is.

I've never touched emulation outside of my phone, but I got the urge to replay the Spyro games. Can a kind user spoonfeed me on how to into PS 1&2 emulation?