Neverwinter Nights

Let's get a Neverwinter Nights thread going, since it was recently free on GoG.

What's yer favorite NON-ADWR module?

Other urls found in this thread:

neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/other/nwn2-client-extension
nwnlist.com/
nwn2db.com/build/?259721
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Come on.

Would rather a Yuan-ti.

>>>/gulag/

Seriously, after the game pushed me that Grubnar, Gobnar, whatever, i just stopped. Too fucking annoying. Just to have it in my party for a second was too annoying.

Benis

I really wish NWN1 had 2's UI modding. Playing it on a modern monitor is just not doable for me, the dialogue window is so bad for widescreen monitors, and the fonts are just beyond fucked. There's a lot of things I like about 1 over 2, but it is showing its age unless you have a CRT sitting around.

Yeah, I would rather a Yuan-ti as well.

Aielund Saga is supposedly very good. Tortured Hearts 2 too.

You could have dropped him the moment you first met him and would never have had to use him again.
Until the finale battle, but you don't even have to worry about his equipment since he isn't going to do any damage.

You're not missing out on too much, but I still think it's worth playing.

If the engine wasn't so ugly, she'd be waifu-tier.

NWN multiplayer hosting when ?

There actually is a NWN server with an 8ch board. Although, it is used by people who basically just bitch about how shit the management is, and how people who just circle jerk in skype ruin the server.

cant we just host a new module and not take part in that circle jerk?

>>>/out/

you could also inhabit an existing server, though imo you should all be spread out across different servers so cancer doesn't form, and so you feel less tempted to cause it

So how's your module going, user?

There is one server that has been deader than dead for years so I doubt the owners would show up and turn it into cancer or anything. The Turmish Lands. I remember it back when NWN was still very alive around 2007. It was always there in every category. Empty as shit. It's still there. I think it's persistence is what made it stand out, because IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THERE. I always wonder who's funding this thing. I even check up on the website, which is falling apart, losing features over the years and is horribly outdated. It boasts being the first NWN persistent world or something. Honestly, it kinda creeps me out a little. However, with how long it's been dead (it has to have been dead for +10 years easily) I would say it's probably safe.

aside from godlike art and music, NWN is literally open games license D&D with a basic scene-based 3D game engine, basic netcode and cool modding tools.

Garbage for dorks

There's a community tool that fixes that: neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/other/nwn2-client-extension
There's a few unfixable gripes with NWN2 I have (like how the map has no fog of war, removing a huge part of exploration), but unlike 1 it at least can scale and work properly on modern computers.

Wot? I have an annual routine of checking out what 1's servers are like and I never had any problems with the game not working. Although lately I've been using wine

I mean visually. The interface can be reskinned, but not rescaled. If you're playing on a modern resolution the fonts will be tiny, and the dialogue window will be a tiny square way off to the side. You can edit the fonts, but the way NWN1 scales them, proper font sizes will be extremely blurry and just generally look fucked up.

NWN2 has proper interface modding (and a lot more modding than 1 in general), but people just don't like it as a game, so… it's a mixed bag.

sadly there isnt a willpower for that

The fug for?

Engine needs an update. Server client needs an update. Community could use some new blood.

It is good. I've been playing through it with several different characters over the past few weeks. I think one of the best things about it is that it's very good for trying out different character types, because there's a lot of unique, custom gear for just about any kind of character you want to play.

I was a bit underwhelmed the first time I played it as a sorcerer, though. I found that the later parts had a lot of enemies whose saves and HP were too high for me to do much damage with my limited spells. There are plenty of overpowered weapons for martials to use, but no new spells or improvements to existing spells.

Of course no one has tried to clone it. Can't sell DLC if the community can produce good content for free.

There is someone working on an open-source version of NWN, though. That might be very good if it ever gets finished.

Also, it would be nice if I could control my entire party, and maybe even mod in a new magic system.

I think you already can mod magic.

It looks like almost no one has tried, though.

Best companion coming in. We will never get another non-human companion as loyal as Deekin.

Yeah. Most people just seem to do balance changes to existing spells.

Daily reminder that you should only play Humans, have human companions, and make Human-only parties in NWN2.

I haven't even seen *that* very often, and I've played a fair number of modules. The only module I've played that had any noticeable changes to magic was Aielund Saga, but not much was different - buffs you cast on yourself would also be cast on your familiar for free, there was no friendly fire even on higher difficulties, and you could make the Missile Storm spells send all the missiles at a single target even if others were in range (I think you clicked on the target itself to focus all fire on it, and the ground near the target to make the missiles spread out). I don't know if there were other tweaks or not, but if there were, they didn't stop magic from being pretty underpowered in the later episodes.

How does NWN2 have more modding? It has a *lot* fewer modules than NWN1 does, in addition to just not being a very good game in general. I'd be surprised to see people modding it a lot when there are so few opportunities to use those mods.

What the fuck is this game even about? Is it like Baldur's Gate?

It's similar to Baldur's Gate, although there are some differences as well. It's 3D, it uses a newer version of D&D rules, and in NWN1, you only control one character directly. It also has a lot more support for mods.

I never really played modules. Just random online servers. Pretty much all the ones I've seen have some sort of balance mods at minimum.

Ah, I didn't think of that. I'm the complete opposite - I only play single player. Multiplayer stuff didn't even occur to me.

NWN2 question: How do I actually install Jester's New Nudes?

maybe you should start playing online servers again
so theres more people

I meant modding capabilities. It took years and years of community development to do some basic stuff NWN2 launched with (class modding, for instance), and it has some things that you still can't do in NWN1, like completely changing the interface easily with XML, a far more powerful (but harder to use) toolset, etc.

I want to pat Neeshkas head. And play with her ears.

not only that but NWN1 has better inherent balancing than NWN2

I would quite like if Holla Forums would decide to give NWN PWs that aren't hosted by Holla Forums a chance

heres a list of some action servers and some descriptions; some may be dead even if I didn't make note of it, though not if I made note of the population being not dead, some may not be dead:
myriad destinies: not english
dor maeglin: mid-low magic server, at least three quests can give xp to players who didn't do them, otherwise no notable problems; has low activity most days of the week and has a suitable amount of non-solo endgame content, requires downloads from their website(not facebook)
kharindale: lvl 60 cap
soulforge: weapon masters cant survive in the endgame; only (hybrid?)casters and dwarven defenders can make it anyway, possibly barbs with epic DR3 as well
three towns: start at level 4, barbarians are hilariously overpowered at high levels, throwing axes are OP as well, no kamas exist, dev crit disabled, not enough non-solo endgame content(if any exists at all)… but they have one of the biggest populations among action servers, though without the non-solo endgame content, that doesn't matter so much
LotR Gondor vs. Mordor: low population, though not dead; I'd gotten the impression that shifters are OP there
neversummer 4: too much loot, animal companions and familiars didn't work in 2015(but maybe they do now), has a population
lands of arda: .hak files won't install right, website lacks information
a vagabond server: level 60 or something I forget
gem of the north: not english, presumably russian
victorian nordock: item levels are implied to be too high and silly rules
leonidas presents: think the magic level is too high or something not sure atm; theres something about roleplaying too and theres some rules… don't know much
greyhawk: CEP required, dunno about much else
midgard: starts at level 5, high magic levels
ruhn: way too complex, many foreign features introduced etc(vampirism points among them)
badlands: every new player gets one instant level 40 dude, or at least i got one for no apparent reason… server has a low population but isn't dead
0 viking northeast replacement: not enough endgame content, mostly dead
gemstone: dead, inactive DMs, dev(s) stopped developing, endgame is ruled by rakashas and clerics and bard/rdd/PMs and to a lesser extent dragons
dreu noctem: level 27 cap
Far East: level 60 cap, I think
world of sanctuary: too much like a different game(d2), doesn't start at level 1
higher ground: large population, biggest one for an action server there is… but they have a level 60 cap
turmish lands: dead
sinfar: not an action server; contains ERP

my having gone around a few action servers gives me the impression that most people who play NWN1 PWs have jobs, and are often also parents… which often means that they typically go to bed at a reasonable time
right now there aren't that many players on on most non-english servers

also, nwnlist.com/
that site has a self-updating list of nwn1 and nwn2 servers

All the good servers are dead. I was thinking of visiting this on particular dead server just to see what it's like, but I have to dig up my NWN CDs

Does anyone know anything about this server. It's literally been stone-cold 24/7 empty dead since 2000 and fucking 7 but someone still hosts it.

>The one alive server with an 8ch board isn't on it Arelith

its a list of action servers user
arelith is RP

oh

well maybe you could put a bit of life on a server thats not completely dead, unlike turmish lands

I suppose so. Still, it seems the community agrees with me that NWN2's flaws outweigh its advantages. At least, that's the case with modules, and without modules to play, there's not much point in modding other stuff.

At least there's the IRON HEART SURGEToB.

I miss all the old servers I used to play and DM on. Too many cool modules and servers just are never going to see the light of day again. One particularly original server was a persistent world, low-tech, low-magic survival world. Permadeath. It was really original at the time, total departure from most mods, and to this day I remember it as more fun than 90% of survival genre games today.

I remember one server had the DM pass in the server name. The tradeoff was things like banning and kicking players where restricted to admins. This meant you could build a ton of shit and do all sorts of crazy stuff. I remember making armies of homeless people harrass the other players for change.

It's funny, Neeshka was a lot less popular back when NWN2 first came out.
Why the sudden change?

she has a livelier personality and is less of a moralfag, and just wants to be with you
also you cant romance here in default game
I only found that out when I was reading about it and trying to get with her

kinda like how dumb kids like Aeries over Jaheira and Viconia

I've been thinking of putting something together for a long time now, just for fun, but I can't work up the energy to actually start working for real.

10/10 better romance than all modern games put together
Also, did you get Elanee's jealousy line? I don't think modern games even do stuff like that anymore.

The original campaign and the expansions are pretty good though, NWN2 is a decent game by itself but not as good a modding platform.

A year later ASSFAGGOTS became popular and cancerous and I got pretty angry over having such a stupid idea.
But I think an assfaggots with all the potential in leveling and strats that a game like Neverwinter gives you would be pretty great.

They thought the same thing about RTS's back when they first made AOS. It's not your fault it turned to shit.
You still have the map right?

bump
i'd like if nwn1 servers had more players

I didn't really like Mask of the Betrayer, and I absolutely hated the NWN2 OC. I haven't tried Storm of Zehir.

NWN2 was a pretty big disappointment for me overall.

Why not? I thought it was the best thing to come out of the D&D licence since Planescape.

In no particular order:

It was a little too dark and depressing for me. I don't like stuff that involves a lot of fucking around with souls.

The spirit eater mechanic was annoying, especially since I was a sorcerer and needed to rest a lot.

You can't destroy the Wall of the Faithless. I hate that fucking thing. You can't even join Kaelyn in her crusade.

Are we going to have a Holla Forums server?

Did yo try for the evil path? That's the only way I can see you losing tons of spirit energy. Suppress is actually pretty good at reducing your craving until the energy mechanic stops mattering.
Should have played a bard, infinite buffs + song of requiem

No, I didn't go evil. In fact, I made it my goal to never eat a single spirit. I'll admit it might not have been as bad as I remember, but I just hate having something there nagging at me and making me feel like I can't take my time. I found NWN2 to be generally annoying to play, so adding an extra irritation just made it worse.

How were you blowing all your spells so quickly out of curiosity? What spells do you normally go for?

He might not have enough Cha I remember when I first played NWN, I wanted the sorcerer because it sounded cool and maxed constitution because it gave the most HP and 8 cha

Storm of Zehir is basically a freeform D&D campaign. It's interesting, and lets you pass off some of the "player" skills like Persuasion off on one of your companions instead since everyone can participate in conversation.

NWN was my autism
Tales of Arterra, Kunoichi, and the greatest of all time Honor Among Thieves.

NWN2 a shit

Who /amia/ here?
I remember the server being constantly full, click spamming to get in… good times

I was thinking of checking it out since Arelith is kinda crappy, although I didn't feel like installing the mods for it or something. I forget what stopped me from trying it out exactly.

I take all the direct damage spells I can. I know that's apparently the wrong way to play a caster in D&D, but I don't care. Since I hate standing there doing nothing or shooting a fucking crossbow, I use my spells all the time.

No, that wasn't the problem. I put Charisma at 18 during character creation, raised it at every opportunity, and always bought Nymph Cloaks whenever I could.

He might also be going for a blaster build, which is stupid when you can be a debuffer.

Thought so.
Try playing as a Warlock, Once you hit Epic levels your eldritch blast damage increases exponentially.

That's why a more "organic" system relying on a mana bar or what have you is better. At least then you don't have to savescum and know what you're gonna be facing in advance to keep your casters relevant.

He even admits he's playing a sorceror wrong. There's a reason he isn't as successful as he can be.

It's still a shitty, clunky way to handle spellcasters.

Other ways of handling spellcasters usually ends up with the player casting only the most efficient spell. Or having so much mana that it doesn't matter.

The problem here is that you're casting too many spells in every engagement. Learn to use only what you need instead of wasting spells on cannon fodder. Also remember to choose the right spells, this is especially important for Sorcerors who only get so many chances to pick spells.

That comes down to implementation, not the system itself being flawed. Players will always attempt to optimize their playstyle, even subconsciously, the trick is to balance the spells in such a way that they all have their issues.

You can basically use the same argument for modern shooters with a two or three weapon limit. Players will always default to using the game's assault rifle because it is the most optimal weapon for most encounters, seeing how they're mostly going to be fighting enemies at medium rangers, but the gun can also be utilized in close quarters and long range fights.

The problem isn't that you have a limit on how many weapons you can carry (though you could make an argument that it is a problem), but the fact you're very rarely going to be dropping your assault rifle in favor of other guns, and only do so for that specific setpiece where such weapons are presented to you beforehand.

And we come back to OPs complaint that his spellcasters spend most fights doing fuckall that has to do with their main role, specifically because their pool of spells is limited and very reliant on knowing what you're going to face down the line. And yes, I'm well aware you always need to keep a certain number of spells that are useful in all encounters, but that's not the issue here, since you need to know you're going to be facing a lich or a dragon in advance to make your spellcasters useful.

And how does a first time player know which spell are useful and which aren't?

The game generally gives you a decent idea of what you're going up against. If you're going into a crypt you should probably bring some spells that work against undead, if you're going into a dragon's lair you should probably bring protection from fire.
And buffs are useful in every encounter, it's your own fault if you refuse to do anything but throw fireballs.

That is a valid complaint at least. Sorcerors aren't a great class for the first run because the limited spellbook means you can't experiment to see what works.

Well, I don't find debuffing fun. Fireballs and magic missiles are fun.

Warlocks are interesting, but I'm not really a fan of their background lore and alignment restrictions. Also, they're only available in NWN2, and I don't like NWN2 very much.

I agree. Mana or cooldowns or something would be much better. It could even have been another way to distinguish sorcerers from wizards (I actually really like the lore of the sorcerer; natural spellcasting driven by Charisma and so forth). They could at least give casters a staff that fires generic magic projectiles or something. Crossbows just don't feel sorcerer-like.

I'm playing a sorcerer how I want to play it. It's not my fault that D&D hates blasters for some reason and insists on using a really weird and clunky magic system.

I think there's something wrong with a system that makes people say "Your problem is that you want to play a spellcaster who casts a lot of spells." That's like telling a rogue "Hey! Stop picking all those locks and sneak attacking!"

Exactly. I don't enjoy playing a spellcaster who spends most of their time *not* casting spells.

This issue is especially bad in NWN2. In NWN1, sorcerers can change as many spells as they want at every levelup, so if you fuck up, you can conceivably struggle through it and fix it fairly soon. But in NWN2, sorcerers can only change spells once every couple of levels, and even then, they can only change one or two spells. On top of that, I think there are even restrictions on what levels of spells you can change, like you can only change level 4 spells on this levelup and level 6 spells on another levelup or something.

You both have the wrong idea about D&D magic because of other games. The main use of an arcane magic user in D&D is as a debuffer/support. Damage is less of a worry and is a role more suited to a barbarian or a Warlock. It's for this reason that one of the best spells for a Sorceror is grease,
Here's a hint, try playing a Wizard and using that as a chance to test every spell. A sorceror tends to be for someone who actually knows what they're doing.
Buy yourself a wand then, they're dirt cheap and don't require that you rest. Hell, you could have gotten Safiya or Sand or Ammon to craft you infinite wands for you to use offensively. Wands are the reason Neeshka became my secondary spellcaster and she actually does a pretty decent job of it.
They seem to match your style of gameplay more, you want someone who does damage with magic and Warlocks are optimised for that. Imagine infinite 21d9 AOE attacks, which debuffs your enemy with negative levels. Imagine that same build is also your craftsman and will do all the crafting for your entire party.
nwn2db.com/build/?259721
Here, try this build out.
You can only change any level below your highest current spellcasting level. And only one spell at a time.

Or maybe D&D has something to learn from other games. I just think it's weird that in D&D, magic can do anything - except, apparently, be good at killing things.

It can be good at killing things, but it's better at crippling an enemy so badly it might as well be dead. And if you have a choice between several spell slots, it's probably better to choose the second.
Again using the spell grease as an example, I was able to knock down 10+ people down while my fighter tank took care of something else. Let's see magic missile or orb of cold or any other offensive spell pull that off.

If casters could do that they'd be superior in every way to martial characters.

Seems like a distinction without a difference.

So make it a trade-off. Make it so focusing on damage-dealing closes you off from doing all the other stuff.

Besides, my understanding is that in the edition of D&D that NWN is based on, casters are already superior to martials in every way. 4e reined that in and also gave casters some at-will powers so they're never stuck doing nothing. It sounds like I'd like it a lot, but they never made any video games based on 4e.

So make a Warlock.
Or pick up some reserve feats, which gives you an at-will power depending on what spells you have prepared.
This way, you don't have to play the abomination that is 4e.

The Prophet is the best NWN module series and one of the best videogame stories ever. And it's the only timetravelling story that actually makes sense.

Just play it in Wine's virtual desktop.

Like I said, not available in NWN1, and there's very little content for NWN2 anyway.

I have to disagree. Prophet's story is just the same thing over and over:
*Get a vision*
"Oh fuck! Some bad shit's going to happen! Better go try to stop it!"
*Try to stop the bad shit*
*Your efforts actually CAUSE the bad shit*
*Get another vision*
"Oh fuck! Some OTHER bad shit is going to happen!"
etc…

this is basically what wizards are good for in a multiplayer setting
this would be a human level 40 wizard with great intellect X, 2 epic spell focus feats(one being necromancy), and 1 greater spell focus feat:
basically you're the guy who casts mage armor, improved invisibility, mass haste, bigby's grasping hands to keep enemies locked down, greases to lock enemies down, webs to entangle the enemies that are immune to knockdown, and you use flesh to stone to petrify enemies that are immune to death magic and can be petrified, you use wail of the banshee to kill stuff that isn't immune to death magic, and you use undeath to death to kill undead that aren't too high level to be killed by the spell, and if an enemy is immune to death magic but not mind-affecting spells, you use weird to kill them

the only times you use direct-damage-dealing spells are on huge AoE pulls and against bosses that are immune or exceedingly resistant to physical damage, or hit so hard with such a high AB that if the tank loses aggro, you're all done for

you'll probably want to make a druid instead of a sorceror, though you'd be slotting your spells every rest, at least you can use owl's wisdom on yourself then polymorph to be useful during more fights

oh yes, and dont forget the mords
those can be quite important

wew.

This is your brain on newfaggotry.

I used to play Legends of Chance before it got shut down a couple of years ago. I'm looking for an action server like that.
Reading through this list, it looks like Three Towns or Higher Ground would be my best bet. I used to play Badlands a tiny bit as well, but I was looking for something with a more active population.
If anyone has any recommendations, let me know.

I'm getting serious creeper vibes from elanee that I never noticed before though, what are the chances she molested you one of the times she was "watching" over you in the swamps?

Is there anything I can do to get rid of the darkness some enemies cast? Even Ultravision doesn't seem to do anything.

Have blind sight or blindfight.

Aerie/Jaheira > Viconia

dispel magic will get rid of the AoE of darkness itself, True Seeing will make you immune to the effects

Gust also gets rid of it I think.