Man O'War: Corsair

So I picked this up a long time ago on Steam but only two days ago did I really sit down and try it. So, now that's two straight days of exclusively playing this game. I didn't realize I'd enjoy it this much.

It's a third person naval combat game a la the naval section of Assassin's Creed: Black Flag but instead set in the Warhammer Fantasy Battle universe.

Fun naval battles with decent, albeit very rough combat and piloting mechanics and extremely rough boarding combat mechanics in an open world with various economic and political mechanics. Your actions and commerce actually have an impact on the world, not just direction interactions but even world-wide diplomacy and wealth can depend on how often you work for certain people, or how often you pillage them. You also have to worry about crew manning, training, health, morale, etc.

The game is in early access, which will already drive many of you off. In short, this means there are bugs that go so far as to break certain missions, some of the mechanics (like combat during boarding actions) are rough as all Hell and in vast need of smoothing, balancing is just bad at times (like fighting the Slaanesh raider ships you having NO way of countering the Slaanesh corruption beams), and there's a lack of content despite the deep economic and political mechanics otherwise making up for this. (This is already addressed, their website has a vast list of content they're working on to be added) The developers are pretty transparent about making the game and are quick to respond to complaints, going so far as getting pictures, your save files, etc. to determine the source(s) of game-breaking problems.

Not really, I'm not entirely suggesting you buy this game. At its current state the game is not worth the $30, but they've since stated this is also the price of the final game and early access basically gives you free DLC, one of which is a morale boost to your ship crew. If you're iffy about naval warfare, require AA graphics, are obsessed with cute girls. or hate Warhammer Fantasy then avoid this game altogether. Otherwise, at least check it out on YouTube play-throughs or if you have any friends playing it check them out.

I will be adding general bits of advice as I continue to play for those getting into the game who don't want to get completely shafted by some of the shit that pops up out of nowhere, as well as get the most out of the special missions and quests.

No, I'm not being paid. Fuck, I wish I was though.In fact, I should ask for money…

Other urls found in this thread:

moddb.com/mods/the-legend-of-zendar
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

TL;DR - Shilling.

They got the IP, but progress has fucking stalled along with Early access, game won't finish, and GeeDubs does not give a shit about it.

Quality thread, OP. Truly top notch.
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:H7T232IB6DM6QHHSR2ZQYZ7TGY3LA75E

I've been worried about how fast (or slow) updates will be. Also I've been really wanting to try the Chaos campaign, but that's a long way off. And yeah, Games Workshop just released the Fall of Cadia not long ago, they're going to be more focused on WH40K story progress since it's their biggest cash cow. Remember when WH40K used to be silly?

This game can be quite rage-inducing at times, especially when an enemy with FUCKTONS of crew decides to board your ship while it's on fire out of fucking nowhere. FUCKING SKAVEN

I ain't into boatfuckery, but it's good news for people who are.
I do like Warhammer Fantasy though, so after trying Vermintide and Mordheim I might give this a go.
I'll just pirate I guess. They're promising a lot of stuff and I don't think they'll ever finish it.

I like Vermintide but finding a decent group can be difficult.

Mordheim is a lot of fun but will basically rape your face on a bad roll that will make your entire war band ruined.

Its a pretty decent budget game.
I'm thinking of getting it after EA is over, have they promised boarding other ships?
From what I've seen in gameplay videos only enemies can board your ship.

sauce?

You can 'board' other ships by… well… selecting the option to board them, but instead they board you. It's likely because various enemy ships simply aren't built very well for combat on the hulls while most of the ones you can command have a flat space ripe for melee combat. That would be my guess, at any rate.

GW went from "NOBODY TOUCH OUR SACRED COW IP" to "Fuck it, let's hand it to whatever chucklefuck is willing to work with us".
Amazing, really.

Have they promised to fix that?
Even if theres clipping and shit I want to board other ships.

'>>11738766
Not that I've seen, but in general they don't seem to be too comfortable with making promises they're not entirely sure they can pull off. They have stated they WANT to let you board other ships and WANT multiplayer, but won't promise it.

Oops, a rogue ' slipped in there.

Fuck
I hope they can at least deliver the first one.

Nice magnet link.

But is it related to the thread????

Some mod added it, blame mark

You what? Motherfucker, I even went to the trouble of finding a live and up to date torrent for you fucks and you pass it off to a pocketeer.

-If you get a quest to retrieve a weapon, you can generally keep the weapon for yourself if you choose not to accept payment and keep it. This is generally a better idea as you can get a special weapon for yourself or your crew to better deal with boarding actions.
-Buying armor for your character is purely cosmetic, so don't waste the gold until you have a surplus in your coffers
-Your starting Corsair is actually really damned good and is far better than most of the ships available. Only larger scale war ships have more offensive power but they lack some of maneuverability and are much more costly to maintain.
-Get the water pumps. This will put out deck fires faster.
-Having crewman in Maintenance is essential for keeping your ship operable during the more Hellish of incursions. The biggest thing they'll do to make you love them is repair broken sails, thus keeping you moving and not a sitting duck to be shot at or boarded.
-Marines have great for boarding actions, but boarding actions aren't a great idea if you don't have them tricked out with good weapons and shields. On smaller vessels, like the Corsair, you might want to consider not manning any Marines unless you intend on boarding to be your primary form of combat. This plays into dealing with monsters as well, the Marines can incite the most damage when a monster decides to poke its head onto your ship but, unlike standard boarding actions, this will incur a fair amount of damage to your ship if you let them do this.
-Give all crew guns, swords, and shields. The swords and shields are obviously for boarding defense, but with guns the crew can shoot down wyverns, pegasus, and griffons in addition to whatever anti-air measure you install. Oh, and install anti-air measures. They're ALWAYS a good investment.
-Flyers are an iffy investment. They can die easily under the right circumstances, meaning you're out 25K gold for a dead animal that did a corpse-belly-flop into the ocean. However, when they're not busy dying, they're fucking up enemy crews, acting as scouts, harassing targets to stop them from shooting at you with cannons, etc. They are amazing in their utility, but fuck it all if they die.
-Wizards. Get one. Bright Wizards will fuck up enemy ships with fire and that's always good. (Fire hurts the crew and degrades the vessel) There's a wizard that can alter the winds to help you or harm the enemy by literally removing the winds from their sails, making them sitting ducks. Other wizards get other forms of buttfuckery that's generally worth investing in.
-You can use Z and X to control your special crew, like wizards and sharpshooters. Overall you shouldn't really need to, though, unless you're doing something VERY specific. You can also use this to control anti-air. Use THIS feature all the fucking time, they suck at aiming without you.

-NEVER transport people fleeing plague. They're plague zombies and will rush your crew while at sea and then you'll have to kill them (they're not hard though) and get no fucking reward for putting up with that shit.
-Don't go too far north, or off the map in general. A FUCKHUGE monster will appear behind you like Jaws but only FUCKHUGE and swallow your ship whole. Do it once, it's cool to see, but then never again.
-Keep any loot you find, don't sell it to the market unless you see the red numbers in the market that shows there's a special demand for those items. Only fill those, it's extra gold. Otherwise keep that shit for special orders and more opportunities for demanded goods. Try not to sell excess food, you can easily convert it into provisions for your crew and that's FAR more worth it.
-Fire lazy crew members. Not even kidding, Lazy is a thing and get rid of it and find someone new to replace that lazy bastard. Fuck that guy.
-When you're destroying the guard towers at Pirate Ports, remember that you can actually DESTROY that tower. The option to plunder the port pops up from disabling it but if you destroy the tower you get pennants that you can hand in for delicious bounty gold.
-Always check the port bounties. You likely have collected a few you're not aware of. Anyone out there you sink is a bounty for SOMEONE SOMEWHERE. Chaos, Skaven, Orcs, and Pirates get that status with everyone so it's always open season on those assholes.
-Orcs, Chaos, and Skaven have special ships with special abilities. Learn them fast, these special abilities will be the bulk of how they damage you and will determine if you (or more specifically, your crew) will survive an encounter or not. I'll try to sort these out later with some screen shots to look at.
-Damage is compartmentalized. So are deaths that result from this. Keep tabs on what's destroyed and what's burning. Also, if your cargo hold is fucked up you can actually leak supplies into the ocean, but you can go back and pick them up after your crew repairs the hold a bit.
-I can't believe I'm about to say this, but the Empire sucks overall. Their presence in the oceans is minimal, even lesser than Kislev. Their larger ships are nice but Brettonian ships are the bee's knees. That comes down to personal choice, overall, but remember that you won't be dealing with the Empire much as you progress and Brettonia a LOT. Brettonia also pays better. Brettonia hates mercenaries in the lore, so I find this odd

Well, I can't believe I'm about to say this, but you're fairly alright for an obvious newfag

So how playable is this in the current edition, is the content of the proceduraly generated variety or are we talking real story and is this inspired by the titular pnp game or a straight up attempt to directly port it?

For bonus points how would you compare it to Battlefleet Gothic? the PC one

I followed the game for a while at release and a bit after.
Everythings hand crafted, from what I've seen people play its alright with medium content.

Its much more lower budget than Battlefleet Ghotic, don't expect that much from it.

Right now encounters that are not mission-related are randomly generated to a point. Chaos, Orcs, and Skaven will make pushes into territories that can actively be monitored alongside the political climate and plague outbreaks. It's generally good to plan a bit around this, or say "FUCK IT!" and run in for some bounties. The waters tell you how much friendly and enemy forces are patrolling those waters so use that in advance to planning your routes.

It's very playable right now and a lot of fun, but due to a lack of balancing and some mission bugs (finding crashed vessels, especially) that break progress, it's easy to get discouraged.

It's simply NOT like Battlefleet Gothic: Armada. BG:A is a strategy game while Man O'War: Corsair isn't, or at least not in the same fashion. You're a ship captain, you directly control the guns as you go, etc. You have to treat it like a strange third person shooter with deeper mechanics like estimating travel time of your cannon shot onto target, catching the wind in your sails at all times to keep on the move, and the general welfare of your ship and crew during and out of combat. BG:A is macro-management, MOW:C is micro-management.

That said, you can hire other captains, with their own ships, and slowly build your own fleet. They act a bit as companions that follow you and shoot at enemies, often aiming specifically for whichever enemy you're engaging. Bare in mind, they're generally not as good as you are at break-neck maneuvers and critical problem-solving, like targeting enemy sails to halt their movements or going in circles around a target to keep their crews from targeting you, but the added muscle isn't bad if you can afford it.

The game is nothing like Battlefleet Gothic
They're not even the same genre

You had me at it's not like BFG.

It's closer to AC:Black Flag than any other game I've played

Why would you even think that?
The OP image makes it clear you control an individual

Apparently v0.8 will indeed have boarding, don't know if its just the crewmates or if the PC will be able to do it as well though.

It's weird how they're pumping out all these Warhammer Fantasy games while the tabletop game is dead and mutated into Age of Sigmar.

Makes me sad, Warhammer Fantasy is one of my favorite settings.

Playable Chaos warriors or I poop my pants

Actually here's 0.7.1 can't find the 0.7.2 hotfix with the dlc
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:KUHHJ6QJPXO3GET6MK7PGY7CCJI43333&dn=Man%20O%E2%80%99%20War%20Corsair&xl=9227242909

Reasons.

Being worked on, it's on the To-Do list

OP here, on my phone at work.

The FUCKHUGE asshole is a Black Leviathan. It's a quasi-normal monster that snuck up on me while I was chasing a Skaven ship. Basically it's a FUCKHUGE pirahna or angler fish looking mother fucker.

Its an angler
Found the Nautilus yet?

woah…
Guess I will have to download it again.

Say what now? Nautilus? You mean like Captain Nemo?

Its a reference
Nautilus is a fuckhuge Narwhal that tries to fuck you up with his overgrown tooth.
No, its not a horn, that fucking thing is actually one of its teeth IRL

Oh, killed two of those fuckers.

The pictures attached show some combat and a management screen.

-I've mentioned boarding action before as not being preferable unless you deck out your Marines. Remember: Boarding action is almost guaranteed to get some crew killed or injured, attacking with cannons is the safest method.
-Caveat of previous note: Boarding actions end you with better loot if you win than you would get if you sink the enemy vessel. Some missions that ask you to retrieve items from enemy ships REQUIRE you board them to retrieve the item. When in doubt, board the ship but maybe set fire to it first, whittle down the men aboard by burning them to death.
-Hitting the bottom of a ship, where the ship is basically connecting to the water, can cause it to sink faster. THAT said, target their guns, disable them, and you can get in close to do this unmolested.
-When determining who to attack first (when attacking groups) check the wind. Go after the target that best lets you use the wind to your advantage (and to their disadvantage)
-Monsters aren't effected by winds. You are. NEVER steer towards the wind when fighting a monster.
-Check ports often for missions. If a mission asks you to go far away, it will generally end before you get there. best to ignore those and move onto the next mission.
-Mariengburg is located within a VERY deep golf. The wind tends to blow INTO the gulf. Never accept a timed mission that requires you to leave the gulf, it's basically doomed from the start.
-IF you have too much loot in your cargo hold, dump your excess food first into the market. Food is the easiest thing to loot from sunk enemy ships as it pops up the most often.
-BIG ONE: In map mode you can RMB to auto-pilot to a location, as shown by the yellow line in one of the screens. Bad news is the ship won't always automatically follow this, it's 50/50 between doing as told or ramming you into every rock, land mass, or friendly ship. Sometimes it veers off in a random direction and goes fuck all. Only use it if you're multitasking IRL.

Looks like more Warhammer shovelware.

It's all being built in-house, but that's both for better and worse. Some of the models simply suck, like the heavier armor your captain can wear. (It looks like ass and floats off the body a bit. I'll screen this later)

Beyond that, it's a lot of fun so far as gameplay and has surprisingly deep political and economic mechanics.

After playing for a bit I must say the game's kinda shit. Sure, the potential is there but right now it's comparable to Blood & Gold: Caribbean! that got a WHFB facelift.

It runs like ass, it likes to crash, it's junky, glitchy and has some questionable design choices.

None of my crew or the enemy's is turning up at all in combat, im running an empty ship against one

>>>/a/

Early Access was a mistake

They figured out that 3D printers are going to kill their tabletop business and they're desperate to shift gears before that happens

Unfortunately for them that appears to mean "flood the market with as much Warhammer shovelware as possible"

For what it's worth the tabletop Man O' War was a pretty interesting spin-off type of game that GW abandoned rather quickly. I suppose it could work as in vidya with the right developer but Early Access does not give me hope.

That should be rather recently, not rather quickly.

They used to be very careful but in general got to watch as the companies that made their games died away due to the way the games industry goes. So instead they started handing out IPs to various companies, taking note of which ones did well and which ones don't and will continue to base who they trust on who can turn out a profit. In a way they adopted the Asian sales model: Flood the market with quantity, a few successes is guaranteed, hit it with a small amount of quality and it could be completely ignored.

there are better naval games

Please provide examples, i would like to play some naval games

So can you only play as humans? I want to be an Orc or Skaven pirate with ducked taped and barely functioning ships

Eh, the infograph states there to only be Humans and Chaos as playable campaigns. Don't know if this will change.

Skaven ships are actually fairly well constructed but have odd weaponry, like large gas hoses, poison spheres that emit deadly gas around them, and death bells that emit a HUGE AoE that can eventually wreck your ship pretty hard.

Port Royale 1 and 2, Sea Dogs series (Pirates of the Caribbean, Age of Pirates 1 and 2), Pirates Gold, Gloriana, High Seas Trader, Patrician (original or 3), the Uncharted Waters series and Commander Americas to name a few.

Do any of the ships get crazy magic, special capabilities not shared by others, special designs, or other such things to make facing each one different enough to be considered variety? What about sea monsters, flyers, etc. that change up how you have to approach situations?

Depends on the game, now doesn't it? But say AoP: you'll even see a difference in fighting a sloop versus a sloop of war.

Ships don't turn on a dime, wind is a current and not a direction, each cannon is simulated to the point of using shot and powder and possibly even exploding if you skimped out and bought the cheap stuff. Rapiers are faster and use different feats compared to sabres and boarding axes, with swords being in the middle.

You get to sell captives into slavery, siege a colony by cutting off supply convoys, manage a pirate alliance, run enemies into reefs and laugh since your xebec can handle shallows. Letter of Marque or smuggling are things.

And no, not even the Disney inspired PotC with it's Black Pearl, the Flying Dutchman and skeleton pirates has shit like roman galley rams on frigates or press F to turn on muh rocket propulsion. Which makes me even more hopeful they'll fix this early access shit.

Is this like 2004 sid meiers pirates but without the weird minigames and the false sense of freedom? That said it was probably the best pirate game I'd ever played.. Black sails was okay but there was too much ass creed for me to properly enjoy it.

There is now a mod based on mount and blade warband for ck2.

Strangely enough Swadia isn`t one of the first to die.

Send me a link now please fam.. It's been a long time coming.
Swadia is OK tbh fam I don't know why Anons don't try to start their own empires though tbh.Their cavalry is God tier tho

Fuck my nipples, I meant to say M&B mod for ck2

So the only way we'll get to play other factions will be DLC? Maybe I'll pick it up when it's on sale

No idea if they'll be DLC or not. Right now anyone who gets the Early Access gets the DLC for free, but I'm not sure if that'll include any after-launch DLC.

Coming.

I like rhodoks and their crossbow army with big shields for siege, tbh.

moddb.com/mods/the-legend-of-zendar