Game engines general

Can someone on Holla Forums explain this shit to me?

Other urls found in this thread:

advances.realtimerendering.com/s2016/Siggraph2016_idTech6.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Dev team might not have been experienced with the new technology.

Shitty programmers who rely on the engine to do everything for them instead of optimizing their shitty code on their own.

/thread

This and I would bet big bucks on the dev team being handed some cash by nvidia to make it run worse so all the good goy have to go get new video cards.

With the devs most games has, I would rather they rely even more on the engine than they are right now. At least most engines still run decently well and are generally made by people who actually know their shit.

Unless you are Bethesda.

Welcome to this decade

You can't really fit many words in the sentence "Betheseda are competent …" without them being negative.

Which is why the fact that the industry is run by faggots who use other engines is a good sign that most of them are pajeet-tier programmers who don't know how to code.

Aren't all the Wii/wii U Zelda games running on the Wind waker engine?

Hell even In the N61 and PS1 days games reused older graphic engines at least looked and ran better than past games. Nintendo reused Mario 64 engine for the N64 Zelda titles. Each one looked better than last. Same with FF7 engine being reused multiple times for square soft RPG titles.

wew

GC looks better.
Let me post.

GC just looks like a more blurry version of the 4k. What differences am I not seeing?

I meant both GC and 4K, it has more detail and actual fucking grass.

So the 4K HD just upscales the textures to 4K and the Wii U version adds anti-aliasing and a different lighting system and upscales to 1080p.

Certain parts of the world have been changed on the Wii U version for the worse.

AAA devs are plebians.

Reminder that Zenimax will never let id free the source for id tech 5 and 6.

The freetard engine scene is improving rapidly but the lack of new id Tech engines still hurts. Thankfully there's still OpenGL 1 graphics engines out there so I don't have to use Unity for low-poly vidya like a normalfag hipster.

what why

Why people would outsource anything other than Unreal Engine 4 for big multiplatform projects is beyond me. That shit is run by god-tier programmers and has a 20 year track record of running incredibly well.

When you're a company looking to outsource a piece of software whose licence price is north of a million dollars you really don't give a shit who it is that's goving you a better deal.

As much as I like higher resolution, I know it doesn't matter unless the assets where made to accommodate said resolution. It looks sharper sure, but it won't actually look "better" since the polygon count will still be the same, and the resolution for all the textures will be the same. If the option is 4k vs not though, obviously take the 4k if it doesn't fuck up anything else. If there is a proper HD re-release, take the re-release, as long as it doesn't fuck up like the silent hill HD collection did.

It seems like every sci-fi game plot is derivation of these.

So Holla Forums, am I wrong or is there any other way how to fuck up future in an entertaining way?

well, at least I still know how to fuck up thread in new and entertaining way

Even when rereleases are good they usually change something along the way. I think it's always best to play the game on the original version unless there are very obvious improvements in the new release.

nvidia cards having firm limits on performance is entirely the fault of their drivers. Once the replacement cards come out, you're pretty much screwed.

Is Id Tech 6 really that great of a game engine though?

I know in the past, the Id Tech Engine in general was often considered to be among the greatest engine in its class in terms of having a good balance of bare-metal optimization, portability, available interfaces for developers, and easy to use dev tools.

But after Id Software was bought by Bethesda and most of its most talented programmers left, namely Carmack, does Id Software really still have the talent available to really pull off a decent game engine?

carmack isn't some incredible programming genius like many people make him out to be. Almost all of his "amazing tricks" are him doing things that had been documented for decades and applying them to a practical game environment. The engines since id3 had been the works of teams, not just carmack.

Twilight Princess uses a modified Wind Waker Engine, but other than that, there is 0 evidence Skyward Sword uses the Wind Waker Engine. And I doubt BotW will use Skyward Swords engine.

Speaking of engines Nintendo uses, Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask, and Banjo-Kazooie all share the same game engine. Mario Sunshine assets were found in Mario Galaxy 1s files suggesting Sunshine, Galaxy 1 and Galaxy 2 all use the same game engine. Early beta screenshots suggest Pokemon Gold and Silver uses the Pokemon Yellow engine, which itself was an upgraded Red and Blue engine, which finally was upgraded from Pokemon Red(JP) and Greens engine. Pokemon Emerald actually uses the Fire Red and Leaf Green fork of the Pokemon GBA engines, which is strange because it was just a remake of Ruby and Sapphire, although they are all the same thing pretty much. All the Pokemon DS games also share the same engine from Diamond and Pearl to Black and White 2. As is with all the Pokemon 3DS games. Kid Icarus 2 and Metroid 2 both probably used the same engine as both were made by Gunpei Yokoi with much of the same dev tools

I'm sure Carmack wasn't the only talent that left. And while hes not the greatest programmer of all time, he's one of the few programmers who were willing to use C/C++ as much as possible and really get his shit optimized

have you played the first game ? i was showing my brother that shit month ago it loos like shit

Basically Zenimax

I don't imagine that the people who Zenimax would have brought into replace Carmack would even understand the concept of that.

I've read the SIGGRAPH presentation and the renderer itself is really good, but the AI system seems overengineered and they could have made some minor sacrifices to put more enemies on the screen. If it wasn't for my miserably slow download speed I'd probably pirate it and test it out in Wine since apparently the Vulkan renderer runs really well in Linux: problem is that the game would take days to download no matter whether I bought or pirated it and nuDoom just isn't worth that even with its fancy renderer.
advances.realtimerendering.com/s2016/Siggraph2016_idTech6.pdf , in case you're interested

It would only take me an hour to download it with my speeds but I really don't know if its worth the extra 60 fucking GBs it would take up on my HDD

Does Bethesda still use the fucking Gamebryo engine just because it has a feature for night and day or was I lied to? If it's not for that, what's the real reason?

You were lied too because AFAIK a day/night cycle isn't a built in fucking feature of Gamrbryo

Bethesda still uses it because old habits die really fucking hard and thats simply what their dev teams are tooled into using. Bethesda has virtually no programmers, just a bunch of design guys, thats why they stick the same engine instead of moving on and thats why their games are so buggy. Instead they forked Gamebryo into The Creation Engine with Fallout 4 and Skyrim where they have a bit more quality control but again, none of them are really programmers, just design guys.

Bethesda's "night/day cycle" is just them moving and recolouring the sun every hour of in game time. You can see it happen when the shadows awkwardly shift through an hour's worth of sun movement in about 2 seconds.

You'd have to be retarded to believe that, Beth uses the same engine because it works, it suits their needs perfectly and Bethesda can continue to just add more features to the engine cumulatively. Being based off of Gamebryo bethesda can be lazy as fuck and pull in updates from the main Gamebryo releases and push them into their games, instead of building and maintainging these systems themselves, Gamebryo itself is a system of modular libraries for things like particle effects, physics, renderer, loading and animating models, I've seen lists of these between games and it's different for each release.

Bethesbryo has actually improved over time in spite of the shitposting around it, it's more stable and feature rich than it was during Morrowind and Oblivion and it's loose design is what has allowed some of the crazy modding over the years. It's still shit and I'd rather see something more stable but I know that's never happening.

You can fix that by changing the update interval in the ini.

I swear to fuck every time someone says those 2 words, they're neogaf-tier retards who know nothing about what they say and are aware of it but still feel a need to speak up.

So there are game engines and there are graphic libraries. At what point does it start being a game engine?

Are OpenGL and Direct3D game engines?
Obvioiusly not, there's your answer.

When it becomes a stack of tools/scripts/frameworks designed to provide an abstraction layer between the high-level game assets and the low-level graphical libraries and APIs?

Hey dipshit, I know you're one of those retards who think they're smart and try to act smug, but those are graphics APIs, not graphical libraries. Libraries are a superset of graphical APIs.

a game engine goes vroom vroom while graphic libraries are silent

Holy fuck you're arguing semantics, i was right.
Sorry user but you're not the brightest either.

I better has racing stripes

example?

the libraries (in this case) are an implementation of the APIs, not a 'superset'. you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.