Bad games that tried interesting things

What's her name and why is she special even with her flaws?
Could she be fixed?

Other urls found in this thread:

trespassingpetrolia.com/
erdeppol.itch.io/nuclear-throne-ultra-mod
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Freeform Time travel in an otherwise forgettable RTS.
Sure, add the time travel features to a competently made RTS and we're done.

Rust.

You used to be able to take over dilapidated monuments and build your shit on them, which caused players to find best ways to fit the building system onto a monument in a way that would let you protect it.

Of course, it was removed.

But back when it was possible… They were colossal and intimidating. Raiding one was a massive undertaking. The game is shit now.

Oh well, I suppose we do have a guy over on /agdg/ making a Rust remake.

It was unfortunate that this game was so dumb, in between all the problems there was quite an interesting premise but in reality nothing was stopping you from killing those monsters, you were always sure to get more than enough ammo and the music it made when you got into a fight was just fucking annoying. Ultimately after enough time had passed it just came across as pretentious, even when I was feeling the most optimistic and was wholly wishing to give this game a chance.. Which was a shame because someone had obviously spent a lot of time and money on it.

Someone is certainly trying trespassingpetrolia.com/

Fucking fan projects.

The gun controls were fucking awful as well and the room layouts still feel really weird compared to most sidescrollers. Playing it gives me the impression that the dev had no fucking idea what he was doing and hit some interesting ideas by complete accident.

Damn. Never saw such hate for Lone Survivor. The only thing I really heard about it is I have one friend who really really likes it Idk why he doesn't just play silent hill

I got it a while back and tried to play it recently. When I saw hunger and exhaustion popping up in like five minutes into a new day, I knew I didn't want to bother with this game.

I was excited as hell when it came out and played it through then and never came back. What did the director's cut add? I still enjoyed it for what it was, just thought that the final boss was dogshit.

But yeah, if you like LS you should just play SH1-4 and call it a day.

I don't hate it, I just think it's wasted potential so much that I autistically wasted a couple years trying to figure out how to fix one of its minor gameplay flaw and came up with two solutions I'm adapting into separate games.

trespasser got so many things right but it was a bit to much for the time. I think a rework could definitely work.

Yeah the gameplay was kinda shit. I played it once, mostly for the atmosphere, I got the middle-tier ending and called it a day. The worst part of the game I personally remember, was when theres a boss monster chasing you and you need to take the path to the exit perfectly. It never was really scary juts annoying.

One other thing I remember is it literally copied the silent hill pickup noise. They might have straight up ripped it, it was so similar.

deus ex and stalker are two games that tried and failed on the most basic levels.

elaborate

They did the same shit in the PC gaming thread. Only giving greentext with absolutely no basis or criticizing things that are done even WORSE today.

You forgot to link to the best LP of Trespasser and one of the only worthwhile LPs ever recorded.

trespasser was way ahead of its time but the game wasn't no good when it came out which didn't help its longevity. I think there are some legal issues with opening it up too but I cannot remember

nigga you best back that up because even Vanilla deus ex is still a triumph and this is a thread about glorious failures. I don't even know if you can call STALKER that since it's not a failure

deus ex is a first person shooter for people who hate first person shooters, and an rpg for people who hate rpgs. levels consist of hollowed out cubes filled with more cubes, the game has the most backwards ass retarded AI and weapons handling systems and a joke stealth system, it's hideous even for its time of release, easily the worst looking game on its engine, basic movement is ridiculously awful feeling, hopping on top of most models except for crates sends JC jittering like a faggot after pence had his way with him.

But it had some neat ideas for narrative in a game that works sometimes.

Batman & Robin for the playstation 1. An open world game in 3D and for the PS1. It would've been awesome for its time if only they had managed to make it playable and fun.

Is this a raptor pussy thread? /tg/ is that you?

oh look, the same arguments being spouted by some retard in cuckchan's /vr/. Makes you wonder what drives some underage to hate so much a game that makes him shitpost everywhere about it

I guess I'll play devils advocate since I didn't like it.
combat was too boring, felt like more of a talkie then a playie

Sylvio had an interesting system where you basically had to find paranormal hotspots so you could record EVPs, decode them with a tape recorder by switching playback speed and direction, and shoot the occasional black orb ghost with a gun.

Sadly, the game has various technical issues, very lackluster and predictable enemies, the occasional technical issue, and several driving sequences that are boring as fuck.

I think the most painful thing for you, is you know I'm right and can't retort any of it because the game is indefensible. It's OK, you fell for the PC gaming meme. A lot of people did. The platform was never really anything good.

I played a bit of Deus Ex and didn't like it. Didn't finish so take my comments with a grain of salt.
You die way too easily. That's normal for a stealth game, you're supposed to take things slow and avoid confrontation, but when you add quicksave to the mix, the most reliable way to play the game is to save before every encounter and play through it over and over again until you get it right. And if you don't abuse quicksave, you get punished for it with unpredictable deaths that send you back further than the guy mashing F3. That's bad game design.
Quicksave in general is bad game design, because even if the player chooses not to use it, the game will be designed around it. Make situations approachable and allow quicksave, and it becomes "too easy" for most players. Add in tons of unpredictable instant deaths to make it more challenging for the quicksavers, and now it's a piece of shit. The only time it works is in games like the classic id shooters (ironically, since they were some of the earliest games I know of that featured it) because each level is designed to be playable in one run from start to finish, and levels are short enough that restarting isn't a big deal. Unless you suck, quicksaving is mostly useful for practicing tricky sections for speedruns.
Gonna sound like a faggot for bringing up Dark Souls but it handles this really well. The player gets to choose their spawn points, creating effective checkpoints in a nonlinear game without railroading the player down one path. You are expected to die, but learn from it. Every time you encounter a new monster, you can tell from a distance that is a threat, that it will probably fuck you up once or twice before you figure out how to handle it, and it sets the gears turning in your head trying to figure out how to handle it.

Now you're not even trying.

also this game is easy as fuck, even on realistic, once you understand the enemy's AI (which is pretty easy). The fact that you bring up Dark Souls not only telles that you're a faggot but an underage. They compare everything to Dark Souls because it was their first real game. I've seen people bring up DS even when talking about Vagrant Story or Ghouls n' Ghosts. Shut the fuck up with Dark Souls already for fucks sake it's not the Bible of vidya

You missed the point of both how to play Deus Ex and quicksaves in general. Let's start with the game.

First, like in tabletop, running away is an option. You've played too much modern games where you are on rails 24/7 and are supposed to solve whatever you encounter before being allowed to progress. Deus Ex doesn't have this limitation.
Second, you are expected to pay attention to your surroundings and not be braindead, more so the higher the difficulty setting is. You can hear enemies, you can hack into security cameras to see at least some part of an area you're planning to explore next, you have various augmentations and consumables that allow you to make mistakes and survive. You are expected to plan ahead, by the way.

Now for the quicksave. While it may be and often is abused, it doesn't have to be that way. Same way with cheats, if they even exist in modern games and weren't just obsoleted by checkpoints along with saves. Same way with "trainers" or straight up memory editors. It's your choice. Always. And I've never seen a game that's too hard without abusing quicksaves.

Adding to what and have said, the main idea of quicksaves is that it's a convenience for the player, especially in longer games: instead of a system that can cause problems like death-loops or unwinnable situations, the quicksave lets you save at whatever point you want so that you can stop and start at your own pace, the whole savescumming thing was mostly a by-product of this and not the main point of the feature. Even then I don't see how that takes away from the game, your punnishment for death is basically the same, the only difference here is that instead of the game, the one setting checkpoints is you, the player.

Also I find it funny that you say "dark souls handled it better" when in reality dark souls follows the same difficulty mantra of games like deus ex, that of not spoonfeeding/handholding the player and giving them the means to get through by means of skill, the thing is that dark souls is more straightforward about it whereas deus ex expects you to be observant, remain vigilant, take caution and plan ahead, as already explained. You seem to think that dark souls started this "better handling of difficulty" when in reality that game follows difficulty trends set by games that came way before it.

cans confirm, one of the many things I hated about MGSV:TPP was the retarded and random checkpoint system. Got me un many unwinnable situations where I hadn't a choice other than to restart the episode, oftentimes just at the end of the mission

Can come up with a bunch actually. From Dust, Natural Selection 2, Dead Space 3 and Alien Isolation, the first missing an actual system to build stuff while having a great terraform aspect, the second one was ironically for the name changed to death and Alien Isolation had an infuriating AI for the Alien which made it a pure turd to play. Dead Space 3 is a bit different since my main offense would be the setting and the execution of it rather than the gameplay mostly at least.

Everything apart from NS2, that shit is ded.

is that fucker ever going to finish his crimson skies lp

Ignoring everything else you said Deus Ex isn't a fucking stealth game, it's an RPG. Stealth is one way to play your character.

I don't want to make this a dark souls thread, but souls fit this description so well.
Last one is mostly a personal thing, but I could go on and on about all the places where the games all just barely come short, and none of the fromfags are willing to admit the games are all trash because of these points; I did just say barely, but that nudge over the edge makes it topple into a ravine of shit, in which every little thing adds up to a mucked up experience.

Didn't they also completely change the world from being mountainous to just mostly flatlands? Haven't played the game, but the idea of hiding out way up in the mountains with your tribe sounded comfy as fuck. Now it's no more.

Arguably Space Station 13

SS13 itself isnt bad, it just had the misfortune of being built on a shitty engine.
SS13's biggest problems stem from BYOND being shit and having a cancerous community, though that is inevitable with any kind of game that has multiplayer roleplaying, so it isn't the game itself's fault.
If it was a standalone game with its own engine it would be fantastic.

For a cancer community, I don't think the RP contributes as much as how autistic it is and the number of ways you're able to fuck everything up. Even the Holla Forums SS13 community is cancerous compared to the Ace Attorney one, which is also built on RP but since it's only really text there's not many ways people can be dogshit assholes about it.

SS13 plays very well with the right community, to be fair, it's just next to impossible to find one that strikes the right balance between RP and fun. One of the /tg/ servers back in the day was fairly reliable in that respect but as with all good things it did not last.

>In Deus Ex
You make me so mad I wish I could throttle you through my monitor.

Shadow of mordor
So much potential if they just made the combat an actual challenge.

deus ex is an icon of bad game design. And he is right, quick saving (a requirement on realistic) makes the game trivial. Although most things in the game are trivial. Waiting for your crosshair to tighten is trivial, waiting for the enemy to cycle in patrol is trivial, targeting that specific bit of back fat with your baton just to have it fail a 1-hit-KO and then spam him to knock out while you tank a shot or two (and possibly quick load because realistic means you get headshot - you are dead, the enemies don't have these rules however), lockpicking is tedious, multi-tools too, and putting up with some of the most cubed feeling level design of all time, in an engine that produced the original unreal - not to mention two years before deus ex came out - it's a little embarrassing.

I'm not convinced the team knew the editor had other tools besides cube brushes.

I love it, but I fucking hate it and every single day it kills me inside that there is no way to fix it. Thanks, Capcom.

Is remember me that game with a semen demon on the cover?

Yup

Looks fun tbh, but it'll probably go to the "play sometime but never play" backlog of mine togheter with the conduit, mirror's edge, burnout paradise, GTA 1, need for speed carbon and whatever else i don't remember.

What was special about Lone Survivor?

This robot is probably the coolest thing in it tbh. You think it's just a regular robot, but then you hit it and it projects a fucking giant screaming mouth in front of it as it roars at you

Out of what you listed, Burnout Paradise with the Big Island pack - or Vanity Pack mod if you're playing on PC should be priority numero uno, followed by Mirror's edge. The others are just kinda meh.

I'm not much of a fan of racing games but I really enjoyed Burnout Paradise for the 4-5 hours I played of it. The only other racing game that can really hold my attention is Nitronic Rush/Distance which some people might not even count as one so I'd give it a go ASAP if I were you.

I thought Mirror's Edge was overrated though. Very nice art style and I applaud the effort that went into the movement mechanics but I didn't find it to be very fun to play.

already played the first to death and bought the second.

Have you considered gitting gud, user?

Good thing that they made an excellent game afterwards. :^)

It's actually hilarious how triggered some anons get about dark souls. It's no different then thousands of rpgs being compared to morrowind

If your quicksave isn't deleted after you reload then it isn't quickasaving. That's just normal saving.

Interesting concept, mediocre at best execution

Let me guess, you became a nihilist and spend your time doing weed?

Madness Returns

well, dark souls is actually a good game.

Gotta say this one hits home. An easy fix would be beefing up the sound effects, those piddly little "pew pews" need to be earth-shattering rumbles. But otherwise how to fix? Maybe a deeper tech tree, but less broad. Five factory types is too much
I'm pretty sure there's another, now that I think about it. Three at most, and then maybe a super factory of some kind.

Sounds like you're just bad user. Deus Ex has it flaws with AI thats for sure but you sound like you're the problem.

The universe is amazing and only gets more amazing the more you learn about it, above the clouds there are no animals to make things ugly.

While that is clearly bait I will say Deus Ex focused too much on story and not enough on gameplay for my taste. That said I fucking hate anything that prioritizes story over gameplay including but not limited to every cut-scene ever.

I haven't played PA, but…
Presumably you want to merge the ground units and air units to one factory, not eliminate a whole category. The thing is that has to be carefully balanced, with multiple factory types that produce different unit classes for different tasks, you have to decide what is a priority when building. Also it should be said this was not an issue in Total Annihilation which had 4 main types (kbots, vehicles, aircraft, ships) and added 3 more minor types in CC (seaplanes, hovers, the Core Krogoth Gantry).

It isn't really a game and the story is nothing special, but I did like the way the story was told.

Is not bad per-se by any means but it could have been so much better if the framerate lock to 30 didn't contrast so much with the super fast pace of the game. It also made it hard to understand why is it that you died under certain circumstances. Salvageable, and in fact there is a fan mod that I reccomend to people to play a few minutes every day. Plus, the idea of the mutants and worldbuilding is pretty great.

This was one of the best cases of "show don't tell" in video-game format; there is virtually zero text anywhere and you can even tell what all the upgrades are and the items you collect from a simple and visually telling UI… then you get to the shit gameplay, the 30fps lock, the shitty secrets with zero visual clues that just demand you comb every area of the map by glueing to the corners and terrible controls that either make gunning terrible (gamepad) or ruins your movement (keyboard+mouse).

There's no need for weed. You just realize that it's all chaotic and it'll always be, an eternal flux of change, sometimes slow and sometimes fast, but always present. There's no social engineering or grand order of things, the concept of utopia is a pipedream. But it's all just alright. You're just better off caring for yourself and those close to you.

What IS that fan mod that you recommend to people every few minutes every day?

erdeppol.itch.io/nuclear-throne-ultra-mod

I mean it is worth playing a bit every day. It revamped the mutations to balance them out from being split between "thrash" and "godlike", added new weapons, new ultra mutations, new characters… it just makes the entire game better. Even if you never played vanilla you are better off playing the mod first because you can't import your save file.

Half Life 2 Episode 1 was hot garbage that was shat out by Valve trying to make episodic gaming the new thing, but it will forever be called good because "muh HL3"

I pirated 2 versions of the game but the mod won't run with it. It just gives me a bunch of weird-ass artifacting. I'm guessing the version I got isn't up to date.

It will NEVER release in a playable state

maybe on main servers. I think maps are seeded?

And there are still mountains. I played not that long ago ( humble bundle, it came along with a few things I actually wanted ) and had a base in the mountains with a few others. More like a few houses and two perimeter walls surrounded and encompassed in snow.

You can do it, but it's difficult getting all the wood, stone, and other materials to really make it work.

You are either underage or retarded, possibly both. Deus Ex is part of a Western game design tradition that is actually an extension of a consistent, simulationist design philosophy.

Quicksaving is always a compromise. It should only be used in non-linear games where checkpoints would be ineffective or unfair. Games like Deus Ex. Just because some people abuse it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the system. In fact, in that regard, it's like the rest of the game's mechanics–tolerant (and even supportive) of players who try to break stuff and do unexpected things.

It's an RPG. The crosshair is one of the ways they decided to implement the abstract concept of character skill, and it beats resorting to the illogical idea that bullets do more damage when you're more skilled at using guns.

The only reason to wait for enemy patrols is if you're sneaking, and good stealth gameplay is designed around making waiting tense and meaningful.

Not sure how this happens to you, but if it does, you're doing something wrong.

I actually agree on that front, and would add hacking to that list. They should have been given more depth.

The geometry of objects is too often cubic, sure, but so what? The game was ugly, even for its time. The level layouts, which are not simple cubes, are great, and are often based on real-world locations–again, this is an outgrowth of the simulationist design philosophy.

Thank you, sir.

I downloaded the GoG version from pirate bay and the version 10 beta and it runs just fine.

You know i wouldn't have cared for your misinformation bullshit but you messed with NS2

what game were you playing?

except it isn't since you can find a couple of populated servers at any given time

you mean immersive sims. pretentious then, pretentious now, only about 10 games in the "genre." most of them are extremely flawed like dark messiah and deus ex. The best of them, like ultima underworld 2 and thief haven't attracted as pretentious followings, fortunately.
deus ex does this too. Time for you to reinstall and open the character sheet so you can observe how each level of a skill for weapons improves your damage with them. Still a bad design, like I said - an RPG for people who hate RPGs and an FPS for people who hate FPS games.

or in deus ex's case walking slightly to the left or right of them by about 10 feet.

notoriously bad hit detection.

its lazy, hideous, and doesn't make for good level design to have all your levels look and feel geometrically identical.

they range from mediocre to awful. I think the best is in the mj12 labs in hong kong, the worst is in places like the cathedral in paris, liberty island is also shit.

stop calling immersive sims that, it's really pretentious.

no mans sky

Prey, oddly enough, resonates with me a great deal, despite how corny some of the dialogue is

I'm noticing this seems to be a bug with other gamemaker games too. No clue why.

*tips fedora