Turok Source Code found

Some fucking nobody got hold of a functional Acclaim workstation with Turoks source code on it.
Hes afraid of releasing the Code due to legal action but hes going to sell the workstation so that someone anonymously shares it.
archive.is/zFOdR

Other urls found in this thread:

pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Turok:_Dinosaur_Hunter
pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Turok_2:_Seeds_of_Evil
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

can't he just 'anonymously' do it himself?

How valuable is that information?

Holy shit this completely blows the remaster faggots out of business. Yesssss

Because he's so huge a faggot he had to be "the guy who found Turok's source code."
They'll assume it's him now if he doesn't sell it.

Either a scam or autistic
Guy seems pretty legit autist though

Only to autists

t. autistic autist

inb4 it gets bought by some prick who keeps the source code to himself

That reminds me, hows that whole issue with the colectionner circle that artificially created scarcity on retro games and who got BTFO when one of them went rogue and started selling all his shit?

That thing was sinfully ugly and I swear it had bad performance.

What the fuck are you talking about?
The sourceport is pretty good

I was just wondering about that too

I called him a faggot if he doesn't release this shit.

precious

Hes probably already a faggot though.

Then why didn't he do that instead of telling everyone he has it and attention whore?

update.

This nigger doesn't give a fuck about legal action, he knows if he releases the source code then the monetary value of the machine drops significantly.

You disgust me. You may never see this, but if you do, take a look at this: So, when I was in grade four and five, I helped out this teacher. She was an LST teacher, and she was with this boy named Jack. Jack had autism. He couldn't speak, but he was surprisingly well at expressing how he feels. Like they say, actions and reactions speak a thousand words. He had barely any friends, because they'd always avoid him because of his autism. I would always help him and his LST teacher with anything I could. I would do things for the teacher like set up activities for Jack, refill his water bottle, because the teacher had to watch him, I would read to him, and try and help him in any way I could within the classroom. Despite being unable to speak, he was, like I said, the best at expressing emotions. He was in my class for my two years in grades four and five, so I was able to help as much as I could. He opened up a door I never noticed before: my understanding of other people. I used to be one of the people who avoided him, but when he was in my class, I ended up getting used to him. People picked on me for being friends with an autistic kid, but I didn't care. Jack opened up my understanding of other people and their disorders. Just because people have a certain mental disorder, like autism, ADHD, ODD or ADD, doesn't mean they can't be a good person. I hope the best for Jack, and that he can get through life in a happy, healthy way. We are one in the same. Whether someone's black or white, straight or gay, male or female, disabled or not, we are all human, and we should learn to quit putting people down just because we can. We need to respect people. How would you like it if someone was throwing racist and offensive comments at you? It's rude, right? How do you think they feel when you throw a racist comment back at them? You'll leave them feeling the same way they made you feel. Humans are a rather intelligent species, but they're always at war with each other. Whether it's full-out combat, or a random argument full of offensive comments, you have to think, 'Is this really the right thing to do?' Once you say something, it's not taken back. Same thing goes for the internet. If you type an offensive comment, and later on, delete it, Google still has it saved to their servers. You really have to think if you're doing the right thing by commenting something offensive. Put yourself in your victim's shoes. How would you like to be trampled over like a piece of trash? It doesn't feel good, right? Just to add this in: You're hearing all of this from a 12-year-old girl that has ADHD. I believe world peace is possible, if we all just try and notice what we're doing to each other.

Shut the fuck up, Satan.

UH, ALL THE BLACK PEOPLE OR NIGGERS AS I LIKE TO CALL THEM, GET OFF THIS BOARD BECAUSE IT'S FOR WHITE PEOPLE ONLY, UNDERSTAND? CAUSE IF YOU DON'T I WILL MAKE BLACK PEOPLE SLAVES AGAIN!!!

I guess I'm on miiverse. This explains all the Switch threads.

Nice dubs, too.

No it isn't and it looks like trash with all the worthless eye candy. It's fagged up garbage I'd rather play my old copy for how much they dicked up how it plays.

I've been diagnosed with all of those, and I can say they're all bullshit made up by jews to sell meds and other shit.
Enjoy your ban, dumbass.

pls no, i give you cp

Their was an Ultra64 dev software in there. That might be new right?

God damn it, That shit better not be bought by some dickweed who is going to hog the files and do nothing with it.

I've never even played Turok, but in cases like this everyone benefits if it's released to the internet.

prices crashed as expected. hes still selling stock.

I am tired of people spouting this meme. This is false. Releasing the source code or contents of a item, file ect before or after selling it does not change the value of it in a negative way, it actually increases it.

Haha, yeah bro, fuck all those bullshit medicine! They're just made by Big Pharm to make money. All you need is a nice walk in the woods, or go for a swim! Get some sunshine and just be yourself, bro :^)

He's saying autists will pay more for an SGI with unreleased source code, obviously.

He's not entirely wrong. Half of those 'disorders' are overdignosed to kids with parents who don't discipline them as they should.

Even if he sells it he will certainly keep a copy of the source for himself and his friends. That is considering that the entire thing is not a hoax.

What you need is a good smack in the head until you stop being a faggot.

Saved

Mate, fucking kill yourself

What a goddamned hero, he brought nothing but glory and salt to the industry.
Decade old to booth

nice pasta satan

on his deathbed the "discoverer" of ADD disclosed he made it all up to make money.

Yeah, he was attwhoring it on leddit, that's where the "omg you can't share this goy someone OWNS it!!!" thing started.

It's neat, but since we have the re-make with modding capabilities i'm not really sure it's that important.

I see this happening the most. We live in an age where people get shits n giggles out of destroying things.

>>>/back/

What a time to be alive

is there an article? would like to read more about this

This guy explains it pretty well

I would mirror the hard drive and then format it on stream. Several months later release the source code after mining much salt.

This

It's not even a source code for a very good game, why are they going apeshit over this?
Now if it was something like MW3 then we could talk.

Better tech to build a better n64 compiler?

Fuck you. I wanted something actually intersecting, not a couple of leftist looking retards.

MW3?

Then find something yourself so you don't get triggered you fucking autist.

Retard.

Might as well be a nintendrone at this point.

A nintendrone that gets excited about source code of a console game?

You are in the wrong place.
Or you are just a guy who has an axe to grind against shitendo. Must be a depressing existence.

Depressing existence is being a Nintentoddler.

>not just pirating the shit dev's good occasional game
I agree that being a nintentoddler is a depressing existence, what's your excuse?

Looking at how hyped people of Holla Forums are about this, it seems you're the one who is in the wrong place, faglord.

I guess Adam Sandler is comedic genius going by your logic.

>>>/oven/

Why do these fucking faggots get such a boner from hoarding rare shit and not sharing it? If they share it they will still get the attention they crave, but it would be positive attention from nerds sucking their e-dick

I never knew the collector community was so shit. Atwood really is doing gods work. I don't even know how anyone could even consider this a hobby at this point though.

You called? Only exclusive celebs will be able to see my Turok source code and listen to this 2 million dollar Wu-tang songs.

Yeah this is a pretty common thing, I remember the dude who got the PCE (turbo graphix) development console and just showed it on youtube saying ums more time than obama and never turning it on. It's just like the videogame collector though, remember guys hog 8 copies of a limited print and just show it off and what price it would be.

Nice not argument.

Are you a leftist by any chance? The mental gymnastics is impressive.

Too bad you made it first since you talked about being in a wrong place.

I get it, you just seem ass blasted about nintendo and have to shit on any thread that is remotely nintendo right now. That said, you must be completely retarded to think that source code of old vidya is pointless.

Fuckoff Nintendokike

How do you manage to breath and type at the same time?

When did I ever say this?
Check IDs you newfag nigger I'm the OP not the other autist, Im talking about your post here

Who cares, the remake is better than that foggy mess.

gtfo

A lot of these collectors are huge nerds and autists. Every leftist thinks that it's wrong to bully /r9k/-NEETs and that they're just misunderstood but the truth is that they are picked on because they are assholes with very poor character traits.

Not the brightest dildo in your mom's drawer, are you?

Show me a more succint and direct to the point piece of info nigger

The Nintendo 64 had the comfiest dev enviorment

We already know what the Ultra64 dev software is though, they were based on Silicon Graphics workstations. Shitty game journalists even back in the 90s misinterpreted this as saying Nintendo could port UNIX to the N64

This sperg can't just pretend to sell it and then release it anonymously?

You just answered your own question, user. Either he's an attention whore or too much of a wuss to just release it already, fearing he might get caught.

Ayo Hol Up.

Actually got to meet this guy at a linux expo last year.

Thats Linux user, not UNIX, they are in fact two different kernels despite one having backwards compatibility with the other. I'm talking about how people thought Nintendo would port commercial operating systems to the N64

Still that video is pretty damn impressive, even though the bootloader ends with a Linux Kernel panic because it ran out of memory.

He already said on twitter Wu Tang's people won't let him release it

It's so nice

Get out here Holla Forumseddit

You must have a really strong nostalgic lens if you honestly believe Turok on the N64 or the PC port that predates the remaster looks at all good. I even did a jump to Seeds of Evil on PC after finishing the remaster even though it had sound troubles it didn't have graphical problems and that too doesn't at all look like something that'd hold up to modern standards. And eye candy? Add one or two bushes when there wasn't any before because the increased draw distance makes the whole thing look completely empty is something I'd do to, and the N64 version you couldn't fucking see more then 10 feet in front of your face which made certain maps an absolute nightmare to navigate and gave a sense of hugeness due to the power of imagination.
Besides the remaster is basically a Doom port made to play like Turok, trhe level editor and the soon to be Seeds of Evil with that same engine is the main draw for me. Unless somebody decides to also do a sourceport using the N64 source code it really doesn't matter if the source code of Turok is released or not.

What if we forget remasters and try to play the games like they were being played when people where playing them?

N64 emulation is absolutely shit, the thing is so arcane in it's inner workings due to a combination of extreme secretiveness from Nintendo and a clusterfuck from dev teams for the N64 doing their own thing independently then what is supposed to be standard because of Nintendo's own secretive nature of the console that perfect emulation is impossible and therefore playing it exactly like it's supposed to be played is very limited.
Also, most people who didn't grow up on those old consoles have little tolerance for 13FPS and less in their games.

Replaying a lot of older games now that I've been spoiled with smooth pc games. I feel spoiled, and almost appreciative it hasn't continued as bad as it was back then.

But if he does anything other than sellgive it to copyright holders they would still sue him… wouldn't they?
guy's an idiot either way…

The first two Turok games were released simultaneously on N64 & PC, the PC versions actually being a pretty popular standard for 3Dfx owners at the time, and ran at a solid 30FPS on period rigs.

With a bit of fiddling, they can run on newer hardware, minus a few bugs, plus optional resolution and FPS increases:
pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Turok:_Dinosaur_Hunter
pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Turok_2:_Seeds_of_Evil

It isn't. All these old game source codes provide literally nothing that modern engines don't do better essentially with the click of a button.

What's so special about turok?

How much is Night Dive paying you?

The thread should show you that the people who actually want to reverse engineer vidya is a dying breed and being replaced with retards that would rather burn vidya history under the guise of "lol, fuck nintendo! XD".

this is what could happen

This is what could happen

so a Scared faggot got his hands on source code. he also wants to sell them At which the buyer may be a complete faggot who is a fucking collector and never release the code or some no body who destroys the code.

Fellate a gun, you fucking faggot.

This shit happens all the goddamned time. He's waiting to see interest and he's going to sell it for way more than he bought it for. He has no interest in releasing it. To him he's sitting on a goldmine. You can see a lot of shitty collectors do this with unreleased vidya and prototypes of games.

I'm also suspecting it's not a full source and that a lot of it is most likely fragmented so it wouldn't be buildable.

additionally it means actually very little if it's released due to the recent Night Dive release. Which ported it to a brand new engine. A Turok 1 source port using this code would require extensive Zdoom-esque rewrites to include things like a console and fix the awful performance (I guarantee the FPS will just drop if you try and code out the distance fog. Wheras in the Kex engine the distance fog can be modded out with no penalties to performance).

It reminds me of when Super Noah's Ark 3D's source code was released. By the time it was released, some guy had already ported it to ECWolf and even admitted that he wasn't going to use the source code for future updates.

Now if he found the sources to Turok 2, or better yet Turok 3/Rage Wars then it's a vastly different story and I could imagine Night Dive buying the dev kit off him. Since they've said they're going to port Turok 2 and they're interested in doing the same to 3 and Rage Wars. As it stands I can't imagine a person rewriting most of Turok 1's source code just to put out a sub-par source port.

The whole thing sounds like he's trying to bilk as much money out of Night Dive as possible because publishers pay more than a collector would because they would be buying with the intention of getting a return of investment and would pay more for a collector. Hence going public and making all these vague statements.

Dangerous game though because Night Dive does have a claim to the code as they own the rights to the games now and could easily send in lawyers to say that he can keep the kit but they have to make a copy of the code to give to Night Dive. That is, if they really want it or need it.

I know there was a shitstorm in the collector circles lately because the guy who leaked the Dead Rising 4 proto last year got arrested and is going to be sentenced to 200 hours community service and 3 years probation (Though he may only have to serve two on that) for handling and distributing stolen material and he got off incredibly light because he wasn't the main source. Plus SuperDAE outright stealing multiple Xbone Devkits while it was still "project Durango" and that case still being ongoing. Kinda a sketchy time in the retro and collector community to be buying kits or fucking with protos so not surprised it's getting to this level of begging or even holding it hostage.

Why don't we team up and buy it ourselves?

As long as we're guaranteed a full public leak as soon as the recipient gets their hands on it, I'd be willing to chip in $1k.

Because it's worthless.

I can only chip in about 150.

I don't care much about viable usability of the code, but rather historical preservation. Porting N64 games is usually a fool's errand, but it doesn't mean the code itself is worthless. As much professional video game source code as possible should be as publicly accessible as possible.

Only if you are retarded.

If we want to buy it, we better think of a way to move money fast.

Tell me what worth it has other than besides bottlecap-tier collector fagginess.

Most N64 games are not really played by most, because the emulation for the N64 is a test of patience at the best of times. So a port that doesn't require digging for patches that may not even work right (PC) or emulate the game with autism (N64) and the studio releasing it with some marketing fanfare and superior control scheme which causes a lot of younger players who've never played it before to actually play this old game. Que the usual where a lot will hate it for reasons, and the others will love it for those same reasons and keep talking about it on and off over the year. Then the same studio releases the editor and states that Turok 2 is next on the same engine now everybody who otherwise wouldn't care outside playing Turok once (or more if they realized the options section is where difficulty settings are located) might actually be more interested either for Turok 2 or Rage Wars (hopefully) or getting access to the full editor because Kex 2 was Kaiser's personal project before being hired by Night Dive Studios once it's released to GoG or someone just waits for the Steam Sale and the editor being complete before cracking it.
Then you've got guys who want to preserve vidya across time for future generations.

There's no use arguing with a kid on this.

I'm talking about something else. (i.e. the dev tools)

So you have no point. Got it.

holy shit how can you be so triggered by cucks, faggots like you are why trump almost lost

Is this the average Holla Forums user?
Are you fucking retarded?

Maybe, i'm not too sure since i stopped browsing Holla Forums a few months ago. But it seems like you are already determined on believing that's the case.

Should we all get into an IRC channel to plan this stuff out?

bump

Does anybody know how much Night Dive actually got from Acclaim's corpse, in terms of source code, original assets, old authoring tools, and such? Given that the remake appears to be largely a mix of reverse-engineering and fresh work from scratch, I wonder if the collector community could help or not.

So nothing is going to happen? When people do this shit instead of just releasing it, nothing happens. I wouldn't hold my breath on this anons.

It's unknown but given how they opted to port Turok 1 to a completely new engine I'm going to assume very little. The vast majority of the time whenever a company changes hands or even just moves offices things like the source code to a game completely vanishes.

A good example is Bethesda admitted they lost the source code to Daggerfall when they changed offices between it and Morrowind.

He's not afraid of jack shit. He's going to try and sell the devkit for way more than he got for it because of the source code being left on it. Collectorfags do this constantly with shit like prototypes of old video games.

So essentially kiking it for shekels, typical.

I didn't imply he was afraid. More like he is just trying to get his 15 minutes of fame, and we will never see anything. Not only do we have to believe his claim that he is selling it, but that he actually has the source code AND that whoever he sells it to even wants to release it. The odds are too low.

He had showed a small snippet, and IIRC one turok dev recognized the code.

Really? A Turok dev recognised a snippet of code they'd wrote from 20 years ago?

The port's good, they even produced a level editor. Just pirate it if you don't like the devs, don't throw money at N64 game code that you'll have no idea what to do with.

Code being available to the public doesn't mean someone will magically come along and do something with it. The Jedi Academy code was made open source years ago, that series has a massive fanbase and has done fuck all with it.

I'm more interested in preservation than actually using it.

Absolutely no help, except maybe figuring out the AI cause there is a weird bug which prevents more AI then there should be in maps in the kex 2 engine and animations because the way that animations is done for Turok is very different from what is done for modern games typically which is why the released level editor for Turok HD is still incomplete and trying to use 3rd party tools for ripping the animations only gives you the model right now but unless the source code is released for Turok or Night Dive Studios gets their hands on it, it is essentially moot. Dev tools would primarily be educational then helpful because Kaiser specifically made it his public mission statement to make the Kex 2 dev tools handle as closely as possible to current Doom sourceport tools like zdoom.

I actually like the idea behind the Kex engine, that of using a generic quasi-modern engine to cleanly reimplement old FPSs in after dumping their assets and reverse-engineering their mechanics rather than bugfixing and modernizing each of the old games' engines piecemeal, sort of like ScummVM's approach to a variety of technologically similar but otherwise totally unrelated adventure games.

But obviously, having access to the original source code would make such an effort FAR easier.

Damn, that sucks. I love old Nintendo

True enough although it matters extremely little in the case of Turok 1 since it's been done already.

If he found Turok 2's source code or better yet Turok 3/Rage Wars it'd be a different story

ASK THIS user!!!

It was literally a Silicon Graphics Workstation with an N64 cart burner attached via Serial Port

You're both on the same level, honestly.

It ran on IRIX. It literally used the existing C compiler that came with the SGI Indy Workstation, since it was able to compile headerless MIPS binaries. What 3D software did they use? Probably one of the many 3D modeling programs available for IRIX, such as Softimage 3D or LightWave 3D

I literally want to literally kiss you

No offense, but what's the point of getting hyped for the source code? It's not more special than most game engines now. And it did got a port, so it's not like someone's gonna bother doing a re-port.

I suggest reading some articles on The Cutting Room Floor. Having things like the source code gives great insight on how the game was developed

Wear a wig and your moms clothes and then we'll talk

Turok is a PC game you fucking retard.

Don't care about the game, hope this leads to better emulators.
Played the shit out of it on 64 but it's certainly not a game I'll return to 20 years later

turok was ported to the pc after the n64 release, condiment.

Please Nintendrone dipshit, nobody cares.

ok portmaster race, keep living in your delusional reality where you think you matter to the industry.

why are you x8shits so prevalent?

Yeesh, how inappropriate!

Because IBM chose to build their 5150 using off-the-shelf components thus becoming a de-facto standard for computer ISAs that gave Intel the prominence and R&D budgets to pour billions of dollars into RISC processor research that eventually allowed them to heavily streamline the x86_64 architecture with RISC execution units while keeping the core programming interfaces CISC because CISC is superior for low-level programming and more suited for systems programmers and engineers that allowed the x86_64 architecture to become the fastes and most powerful architecture that powers the fastest supercomputers as well as the majority of supercomputers as of 2017?

It wasn't so much a choice of off-the-shelf components, as specifically conforming to the CP/M platform that was primarily Intel/Zilog-based. The OS was only swapped out to a borderline-illegal CP/M clone at the last second because IBM were being assholes.

And don't forget pouring hundreds of billions into compilers and advanced fab processes to compensate for the inescapable semitransistor/yield/heat budget tax exacted by the x86 baggage in their cobbled-together CRISC architecture to this day.

Plus skullduggery during the '90s with lawsuits against DEC/ARM and executive-level moles inside HP/SGI.