Bam Ham Knight

Holla Forums I've been playing the arkham games over the past month now and I'm really digging them for some reason. 100%'ing the challenges, the different characters, the music and settings(Origin's setting is just really neato), mastering the combat system for the maximum points/variations and getting creative with the gadgets in stealth, I just really like it just not enough to give Warner Bros money those fucks

Got a question though, How's Knight? I haven't heard jack about it since it was taken off steam and placed again. How well is it optimized(The rest of the games worked like a dream on my decade old pc but origins had a big texture pop-in issue as well as various bugs like infinite gliding and whatnot)? How's the gameplay?(specifically the batmobile, I hear it's a big part of the game and the trailers are giving me the impression that it's the new twisted metal I've been looking for, and the challenge mode. I hear you play as red hood n sheit so I'd like to know if the challenge mode is on the level of city)

Actually if possible I'd like to have a dicussion about the Arkham series's gameplay. I thought it was going to be ultra shite since I've played the Assassins Creed and Shadow of Mordor games prior to giving arkham a shot and I despised those greatly. While I'm not a big fan of the combat system I like how they handled it compared to those games, since it at the very least tries to mix things up with shields and roids venom and batons and whatnot. MY biggest issue with the system is that it makes for some very meh boss fights. Either they're essentially glorified QTEs like with Deathstroke(which truth be told I thought was going to be the big dog in origins and was going to be made out into this super tough boss fight but he went down like a bitch which I really disliked) or very gimmicky which in my opinion isn't rocksteady's strength. The stealth is fairly fun

It's the worst optimized game in the entire series by far, the plot is dogshit, the combat is the same again with some new gimmicks and that's it, the batmobile is forced on you constantly despite not being any fun, the bosses are ok but hardly memorable.
It's the worst entry easily

I played it quite recently on PC after pirating it and only encountered minor performance issues.

The batmobile stuff is boring and mediocre, but the overall game is still decent.
Weakest entry in the series, but still a decent game if you ask me.

The other stuff is just like in every other Arkham game.

Knight is the worst. Still enjoyable at the core, but the batmobile is shoehorned in places it has no goddamn business being. It seriously devours almost have the game.
Also, were you hyped to have Scarecrow back ? Don't be, he lost every bit of charm and awesomeness from Asylum. Now he's literally just cookie cutter villain with a doomsday weapon. He's just used as a pretext to have Joker be the villain again.
Also the alt characters are useless since they are only in short as fuck, non repeatable missions and DLCs. Challenge maps are batman only.

It's the same fucking game for what? 4th time already?
If you played them so much, you know exactly what knight is.

It's 68 gigs(my dl speed is 200kb/s) and it's the one I'm the least sure about. So I just wanted to be sure. Seems I'm not going to be playing it this year.

Knight is shit, I decided to give it another chance a few months ago, and sunk all my initial upgrade points into Bat-Tank bullshit so I could get all those sections over with as fast as possible. even so, the rest of the game is not really worth playing.

Let me put it this way, Origins wasn't even by the original team, and has a fair share of bugs, but it's better than Knight.

Knight is by far the worst game in the series
Especially since they try to force the bat-tank into everything you do

Also, what was the deal with the Arkham games being obsessed with using the Joker for everything?
Why can't we just have good capeshit games

So I take it the batmobile controls like ass?
What a shame, guess I'm forgoing Knight.
Hate to go off topic on my own thread but I'm looking for a decent open world game where the focus is good and enjoyable gameplay and not technological prowess(in other words more carnage and just pure fun like Prototype or Hulk Ultimate Destruction, less look at all this cool shit that's essentially just a novelty like GTAV) and searching around I've found three choices. Should I go for just cause 2, Red Faction Gorilla or Sleeping Dogs?

Fuck the joker. I was on board with Origins having black mask be the big boss but then LOLJOKER

It's also that they just force it into everything so it becomes bland and flat out annoying to use

All 3 are pretty solid games, mad max is also surprisingly decent

Honestly, I liked almost everything about it.

AA>AK>AC

The only thing I didn't like was the story towards the end. In this game, Batman is pushed to do some morally fucked things, further than he has in a lot of other Batman related cartoons/comics.

He lies to his closest friends and family and that all starts crashing in around him a bit at the beginning, but later it doesn't really go anywhere and we are left with Batman coming out on top simply because he's batman.

Still, there are some pretty cool moments with Joker taking him over and though I'm not a fan of cinematic games, I think the story and the way it was told in this game were pretty good.

As others have said, gameplay is pretty standard fare for the Arkham games. There's a few ways they made it smoother, but it's more or less the same.

Arkham Knight is Arkham City but worse.
I hope that the fanboys who wanted to drive the batmobile in an Arkham game will finally realize it doesn't fit in the Arkham universe (I'm not talking about the design, just in terms of gameplay). Sometimes I wonder if the studio made the driving sequences so horrible just to prove that point. Nygma's races were fucking awful, at one time I nearly threw my controller at a wall.
I haven't played the game for months and the other day I tried to get back into it. I wanted to grab some collectibles but since everything is so dark I couldn't find my way into a building so I closed the game.

Arkham Asylum will always be the best Arkham game.

I felt asylum was actually the worst.

The combat is thrash, no commit, shield/knives/guns just forces you into gimmick, ie. you never get the impression you are playing, just that you are told to do X then Y, you are just essentially watching Batman do different things while presing the same button and get treated like a toddler and be told "now press A to jump over the shield guy!".

It's really dumb as fuck. There's not even zoning since Bamham jumps and targets enemies for you.

I was never a big fan of it but credit where it's due(or rather shit talk where it's deserved) it did it much better than anything that tried copying it.

Thing is I'm not sure what kind of combat would fit a batman game. I guess going around in a devil may cry with crazy flips and kicks and punches would be kickass if it were a batman beyond game.

I had two big problems that made it the worst for me, besides having the least enjoyable challenge mode.
The first was that the bosses were easily the worst I've played. They're either a variant of bane who was boring as shit to fight, or a gimmick that goes on for too long(Ivy, Croc) and never evolves at all or ramps up in difficulty, or the joker who was a pushover.

The second is that it follows the terrible lazy route of going a metroidvania. As in the "hey go into this place and no where else because you can't in the first place and if you try to leave the game won't let you!". It might as well be a linear corridor and once you've visited a place once there's not much reason to do so again since the place is empty aside for secrets you haven't found yet.

Oh they had a bunch of animation and over-budget that imitators didn't have. While everything visually was good to great, it's like a whore, it feels good for 10 minutes and then you wonder why you are wasting your time here.

Combat that would fit a Bataman game would be combat aimed at 4 enemies max at a time, if there are more you have to fight or flight and stay observant, Batman just standing still and facing 100 enemies cheapens everything. Of course Batman would destroy an enemy 1v1, but not 1v100, against bigger odds he has to use his brain and gadgets and technique, enemies should be a threat. Any gamer could make a better combat system that fits Batman's world than what is present, but it won't happen because 1. the devs prefer movies to games == no knowledge of the art 2. They still want babbies to be able to play their games by mashing the same button over and over and having Batman vision telling you what to do. Seriously at this point you're not playing the game, the game is playing you, the game is making you do what it wants you to do and not the reverse, that's the problem with moviefags, there's no room for the player to be the hero, and with millennial, they cannot handle failure, they cannot learn anything that was not taught in their social "science" class.

First just have the simple most basic concept of fighting : zoning and reach.

I was talking about how in bam ham you had to commit, like if you did a ground takedown on someone you actually had to time it correctly instead of being able to cancel out of it like I remember being able to in Shadow of Mordor.
The rest of your post I agree with it though. I really really dislike this thing with modern games that make you "feel" like a badass but not give you the tools to be the badass. I feel the stealth gave a better feeling of this, but not by much since after a while you're limited by what the devs had designed the room to be like.

It feels forced, stomping someone on the ground shouldn't take that much time, it's like enemies are more of a threat while on their asses than on their feet, kills the immersion too. Doesn't take an eternity in Ninja Gaiden Black. Games like Shadow of Mordor actually should be something devs should look at, it has a terrible fighting system, but people praise the nemesis system, it's like people suddenly remembered that games are made of systems, not forced cinematics. When you die you spawn back, because you're a wraith, the game never stops, and they show it by making the orcs talk about how they killed you before, or if you burned them, that's systems and making the player play the game, decide who to kill or even mind-control next, even that mechanic, although not exploited to its maximum was neat as you could "catch" orcs like you catch pokémons.

GTA does the same, and it's one of the most popular game, not because of the story, people just go on rampage, the whole city is a amalgam of systems and people have fun doing different inputs into it to get different results. The combat system in Shadow of Mordor isn't a fun system to play with, a pity since it's the core system.

In programming there is a skill that some people have where they program a few lines of code, but they make their functions/objects/AI interact with each other that creates much more in a faction of the time it would have to hard-code it. You create a bunch of interacting systems and you can have players play your game for longer than 40 hours which by the way one of the creator of Shadow of Mordor explicitly said it was nearly impossible to do, yet no names FromSoft managed it with Demon Souls a 6M game using systems from the 2D era into a 3D game.

It's an inherent problem with AAAs I guess. Again, feeling like a badass but not being that badass. I doubt we can do anything about it because AAA in general is literal sewage.
It's funny how this conversation alone is tearing down all my conviction towards playing Knight or replaying any of the games than anything else. Guess that's why I 100%'d them, so I wouldn't ever return to them again.
What's the deal with Shadow of Mordor anyways? It's like they had taken steps to make a really fun game and then halfway through someone rained on their parade and forced them to do generic high budget game #9234

Not so good, they made the game even easier and you are forced to use that shit bat car thing.

I like how they reused that second track for the protocol 10 part.

Arkham City had the best soundtrack.

The optimisation was utter shit, and is bad now but not unplayable by any means
The car is very forced but doesn't handle badly, it's just overused
The story isn't as good, but it does conclude stuff well, and arkham is still my favourite batman iteration

I know Holla Forums shits on it, but it's really not a bad game. City is the best, followed by asylum, but knight isn't far behind, and if you liked city / asylum enough to play a whole 3rd game, knight as far as attention to detail goes is just as jam packed with batman and even justice league references. Mr Freeze's story conclusion was pretty amazing, and the ending was pretty alright. The only actual 'shit' parts are that Joker's back yet again and like fuck nobody saw the knight being jason a fucking mile away

I really liked it, being a fan of Batman, and as a game it's still good, if a little too easy. It's fun to try and use all your gadgets even if you're overpowered as fuck.

I totally get why this game gets shit on, but if you really dug the first 2 to the point of 100%ing them you will enjoy the 3rd one. I also 100% all 3

Its very mediocre. Looks gorgeous with my 1060 but I hear its complete trash optimization wise for anyone below the newest of cards. Everything is easier, the Batmobile is pretty lame and they overuse the Joker yet again.

They made it mandatory to solve every fucking riddle, get all the riddler trophies and do all his challenges so you can see the ending.

Fuck this shit! I've spent an entire day doing it just to find out there are still over 150 riddles in story places that don't show on the map and are impossible to get without a guide. This is the worst time I ever had with a video game, who the fuck even likes to spend days getting useless collectibles around this fuckhuge map. At least in Asylum and City it was optional!

Also why the fuck bring back Deathstroke if you gonna make his fight just a rehash of the Arkham Knight tank? Not to mention this bug ridden filth erased my save file FUCKING TWICE! Throwing hours upon hours of riddle collectibles and reptitive side-missions on the fucking trash! TWICE!!!

Seriously, it had potential to be the best game in the franchise, but it's full of bad design decision, bugs, and just straight up bullshit. I never had such a bad time playing a video game than with Batman: Arkham Knight.

It's essentially the big act for the entire game, and the crux of Batmans character (deciding to save the city instead of his gf). It was clever of them to use the main theme for the game during such a key moment. Shame the moment is kinda lost because the music takes to long to build up and the context is kinda lost of people who aren't familiar with Batman.

Riddler trophies in general are fucking terrible. I never thought they were good. They're just there because every game has to have an incredibly tedious method to get 100%. They're fucking terrible in Arkham City. There's so fucking many green question marks all over the place it turns an otherwise nice looking game into a joke.

They're all the same
Play Asylum and then City for more open endedness and thats all youll need.
Origins and Knight are the same goddamned garbage as City.

I liked them when they had a puzzle behind them.(even though the puzzle was almost always piss easy and was obvious right away) When it became "blow up this wall" or "batclaw this out of reach thing" it became tedious as fuck and it shows since the latter category makes up for at least 2/3rds of the trophy in City. In origins from what I realized they're like 4/5ths of the datapacks.

I feel that if they had made the Robin team-up part the main gimmick of the game instead of the Batmobile, it would have satisfied a lot more people.

Seriously?

Joker should have been reduced to a cameo near the end like in Year One or Batman Begins. Or they could have had one of the assassins being Red Hood with the implication that it might be the future Joker.

**the joker blood in batman's system from City, combined with scarecrow's fear toxin in Knight make a sort of split Joker/Batman personalities in Batman's head with Joker trying to take over his mind

fug :DD

The worst thing with the Riddler trophies in City is that some of them are only accessible if you explore the city as Catwoman.

I didn't mind them in Asylum since it's entirely optional. This is the worst plague of open-world games, stupid collectibles. I was even okay with it in Arkham City since defeating Riddler would only be a short cutscene anyway.

But requiring the player to collect all the stupid trophies to see the ending was straight up bullshit. If there was at least less of them, but like you pointed out, they cover the entire damn map, and they there is over 150 of them in story related locations that are a pain to get in.

Origins had the best boss fights but the main storyline is crap. It all boils down to: "The joker did everything! AGAIN!"

And the open world feels hamfisted because they don't have a good excuse for why the city is so small and empty. At least City and Knight tried to come up with something.

The little segment where you team up with Robin was the best part of the game. Wish there was more of that.

With the benefit of hindsight, that was what they should have focused on. Teaming up with Robin throughout the main game and other characters like Catwoman, Nightwing and Azrael in side missions.

OP confirmed for a faggot.

Wow I see how wrong my post is.
Do you actually have a discussion for Asylum or are you just shitposting because you know how asylum should be renamed ASS?

You think metroidvania design is lazy. 'Nuff said.

I loved this game. I liked all Bman games.

No you assnugget, I think the way Arkham Asylum handled the metroidvania design is lazy. It's essentially a big corridor where you're lead around by nose to where the objective marker is next. Go to a place out of order? HEY BATS I'M REDECORATING FUCK OFF.
Want to leave a place before it's done? I HAVE TO SUCK MY DICK BEFORE LEAVING.
It reminds me very much of Mirror of Fate where you're essentially lead by the nose and aren't given much room to explore, not because there's an obstacle in front of you that you must work to overcome but because of inner monologue and because the game is designed in such a fucking backwards ass "cinematic" way that if it didn't lead you by the nose everywhere plenty will make no sense(getting the ultra batclaw on your second pass at the batcave instead of from your first when you got the batclaw claw).
AND
AND
The thing that pisses me off the most is that once you've finished a place there's no motivation to go back to it. No more enemies, no details or chatter or anyone to talk to, nothing to do except the riddler trophies.

Wut?

It reminds me very much of Mirror of Fate where you're essentially lead by the nose and aren't given much room to explore, not because there's an obstacle in front of you that you must work to overcome but because of inner monologue and because the game is designed in such a fucking backwards ass "cinematic" way that if it didn't lead you by the nose everywhere plenty will make no sense

The open-world of the other games made it any better?

It at least let you do shit in the order you want until you find an obstacle you can't overcome yet. The FUCK OFF BATS I'M REDECORATING shit was gone, and the areas didn't feel as deserted as Asylum is after the first pass. Don't get me wrong the open world has it's fair share of problems(mostly stemming from too much filler with the sidequests, collectibles and just generally shit that wastes your time) but they were not as obvious or impactful in my opinion as when I played Asylum.

Not really, the story missions are pretty linear, they won't open unless you complete the previous one. The only diference from Asylum is that instead of walking trough corridors, you're gliding or driving your way from one place to another.

You kidding, man? The story areas get just as deserted after you complete them, and the whole open world is just a giant empty map with random mooks running around. It's really no different from the main area in between the asylum buildings in the first game, just bigger and filled with trophies and repetitive side-quest.

I get your problem with linear gameplay,but it really pisses me off that every dev solution for this is a empty open-world. In the end the games are just as linear, just with a bigger map.

To be fair, I would rather have a well crafted linear game than a shitty open-world one. All the time and work they put on these gigantic empty maps and useless side-missions could be used on polishing gameplay and the main storyline.

I'm 100% on board with this. Thing is I didn't feel Asylum's story and area progression was well crafted at all.

To be fair with the guys, it was the first game in the franchise. WB was actually putting a huge risk so they probably gave limited resources. I wouldn't say that the game is any masterpiece, but is far from shit. Hope we can agree on that.

Now if only the resources for City, Origins and Knight weren't wasted on huge open-world maps. I really hate this trend that everything these days need to be open-world. Just look what they did with fucking Metal Gear.

What's next? Open World Devil May Cry?

Open World mirrors edge.

In a perfect world yes.But it would be complete shit if it came out today.

Or worse, imagine an Open World Zelda, or even an Open World Mario.

I don't have to imagine an Open World Zelda. It's called Wind Waker.

All three are great, Just Cause 2 has the most carnage if thats what you need though.

Shit. I think you just made me realize why Arkham City felt so much more satiafying than Asylum. Soaring over a big open city and diving into some mook's face feels a lot more appealing than Metal Gear with more fetish gear than usual. Arkham Asylum is pretty great, don't get me wrong, but mixing the indoor skulking with a wide open city to soar through just feels too damn good. Asylum's ending was always fucking stupid though.

I quit Origins 8 hours in when I fwll through a floor and just couldn't be assed. It would have been an awesome $30 DLC expansion for City, too bad they pretended it was a big boy game and deserved a season pass all its' own.

Knight just sucks. No charm, no challenge, and the city is just empty and dull if you aren't zipping around in a rocket powered tank and ignoring it. I hate the race tracks and the bosses - something that made Origins redeemable - are just fucking tedious.

I bought a key with all the bonus bullshit for $9 and I still prefer the $5 I spent on my unplayable copy of Origins.

Still can't get over how the pirated version of Origins was patched quicker than the release version.

Why is The Joker supposed to be the big deal in the batman's rogue's gallery anyways? He's the least interesting of the villains yet he's the one who's the most hyped. I still don't get what was so good about Ledger's joker

HA HA HA HA!!!! AM I EDGY YET???!!!! LET ME DO SOMETHING COMPLETELY RANDOM! XD DIDNT EXPECT THAT HUH??

HA HA HA HA HA!! LE PRANKSTER CLOWN YES THAT'S ME!

I still feel Arkham is the only series that does rewarding, varied elimination stealth.

Would you have left Gotham and taken Catwoman up on her offer?

Sleeping Dogs is one of the best open world action games I have had the pleasure of playing and I've damn near played em all.

Try and get the OG release if you can though, the new release dkesnt let you replay dlc missions.

in injustice you see her outside of her suite, and I would totally not take her offer. She looks like a lesbian nigger.

At least they tried to make it not-obnoxious. There's at least a setup, some hints, batman doing some investigation as things get stranger and stranger. I mean, it feels cheap, but at least you can say it was a natural progression for that story in particular. What I didn't like was the fact that had to shove references to TKJ and year one as if it was mandated, just for the sake a having some wink-wink moments for the fake nerds to congratulate themselves, they felt really forced.

In retrospect, he was a lot better handled in Origins than in City: I would not be surprised if it was Black Mask to be in the steel mill but, since WB was betting on a blockbuster, they mandated Rocksteady to shove the joker in the last minute. Think about it: everything about the joker in AC feels unnatural, like didn't even belong in the same story. It doesn't help that, not only the joker never seems to have actual interaction with other characters, or the fact that aside from some parts in the game, noone seems to acknowledge he's there as well, they had Mark Hamill do some awful line readings, those looooooong and draaaaaaaaaaged on speeches that take fiiiiiiiiiiive minutes looooooooong and neeeeeeeeeever seem to stoooooooooop… and they're just not funny!

WHY DOES THE BATMOBILE GO AT A MILLION MILES?
Only way to fucking drive it is hit the floor and on anything that isn't straight as an arrow switch to battle mode to turn.

I started playing it maybe 5 days ago, very sparsely.
All you have to do is get the Batmobile sections out of the way ASAP. They're tedious, but the rest of the game is fine. Not as good as others, but better than most games.

Are there any mods that allow you to use other characters in the main game or challenges? I love my Dick.
Are there any mods at all?