Chess is videogames general

How butthurt do you have to be to do this?

Other urls found in this thread:

regimentalchess.com/
lichess.org/Xnpa4grr
lichess.org/TYkQTMBh
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Chess is too hard and i don't get it.

The graphics suck and the devs don't ever respond.

I want to like chess, but every time I try to play it, halfway through the game the other guy suddenly moves his bishop from one corner of the board to the other and takes my rook or something, and it's all downhill from there.
There's also the fact that a sufficiently advanced computer could reduce the game to an equation and solve it, and that every technique employed by chess players is basically a crutch to allow them a crude approximation of the board state analysis an AI would be capable of, but mostly it's the bishop thing.

thats probably going to be the case with a lot of games as time goes on

its called "State space search" and we are pretty much limited by memory on how many turns forward (of all possible moves) the machine can look

Find a casual chess game with simple computer. And then raise difficulty untill you git gud at beating it. Then learn tactics on youtube and you will be set to go online.

Its useless starting against good players when you are a noob in any game.

but you are right, much of outcome in the game is decided by following established opening strategies mindlessly
I'm waiting for the day, when someone makes the "perfect opening",
which always should result in victory because they're one step ahead.

Chess is actually shit.

That doesn't make any sense. No opening book tells you how to respond to every possible move, and openings only cover the beginning of the game.

this is where the "I'm waiting for the day" part comes into context

What the goddamn fuck is "hyperbullet"?

Ever heard of end game tablebases?

didn't read know about it, but here's some text from wikipedia:
"Physical limitations of computer hardware aside, in principle it is possible to solve any game under the condition that the complete state is known and there is no random chance. Strong solutions, i.e. algorithms that can produce perfect play from any position,[6] are known for some simple games such as Tic Tac Toe/Noughts and crosses (draw with perfect play) and Connect Four (first player wins). Weak solutions exist for somewhat more complex games, such as checkers (with perfect play on both sides the game is known to be a draw, but it is not known for every position created by less-than-perfect play what the perfect next move would be). Other games, such as chess (from the starting position) and Go, have not been solved because their game complexity is too vast for computers to evaluate all possible positions."

*didn't know about it* woops

I'm in the same boat. Like I know it's been considered the greatest intellectual game for like, 2000 years, but I just can't help but not like it. It's fun when you're a little kid and your dad teaches you how all the pieces work, and then you go to school and had fun playing with your friends because no one had a "strategy", we just moved pieces and hoped they worked. Tried reading a book on it years later and 90% of the game is memorizing move patterns and trying to guess what move the other guy does. It starts to feel like a MOBA where the best player isn't the best thinker but rather someone who just had enough free time to memorize thousands of moves and the "skill" ceiling is higher than Mt. Everest.

Well, Chess has been played professionally for decades. If you play an unchanged game for decades, the game will evolve in such a way that the good strategies will be discovered, used, and abused, and the strategies to counter those will also be discovered, used, and abused until the game becomes stale.
Check chess variants like Capablanca's Chess or Fischer Random Chess.

Nearly every game in existence is like this, it's just that very few games have been studied for as long and as autistically as chess has. Even then, there are definitely better board games than chess.

My dad was a chess maniac. We had all kinds of Chess games on the family computer growing up. The only one that was worth a damn was Battle Chess. Maybe pic related was decent, but we could never get it to run. Software returns weren't really a thing that happened back then.

You're right. Shogi is much better.

Fuck off, Jet, nobody cares about Shogi.

I think that Monopoly is more fun than chess, almost anything can be more fun than chess.

Suck a dick nigger, Shogi makes Chess look like Checkers.

20 replies and no BattleChess.webm
I'm so proud of you. It wasn't just a bunch of the same shitposting, but new shitposting instead

(checked)

(checked)

(checked)

I miss fitzthistlewitz
my captcha was nopjue

Played both chess and shogi on serious level. Fun at first but then both seem pretty meh after you learned the strategies like look for forks, pins, skewers, and do not waste time remembering 'traps' or opening gambits. Some good things came out of it though, like you can teach others how to play and look smart doing it while being able to hold your own in the game to a certain extent and look even better.

Though I admit, I do enjoy solving chess and shogi puzzles.

I came here looking for this video
Thanks user,

I was thinking more along the lines of this but alright.

fuggen casuals

wait ive heard of something like this before

I fucking tried this once against a friend.

He beat the fucking computer.

>the other featured shoving my queen's futadick right into his defenses unironically, the first time I won, he wasn't finished setting himself up
I have a love/hate relationship with the game because of but I really want to learn more.

Defend this shit Chessfags. As shit as LoL is at least Riot tries to balance their game mainwhile Chess balance is still pure shit after 1500 years

If you really wanted to balance shit out, change the rules so both players move at the same time and can't back out once the move has been made. Won't fucking happen, but a man can dream.

I love how comically scaled the first pic is even though it only covers 4 percentile in scale

the only good answer

I have a problem with that because virtual chess is not the same as real chess, as you can't bluff or cheat in the virtual world. Sleight of hand can sometimes give you an advantage if you mess with your opponent's perception, even if he stares long enough at the board to burn holes into it it's hard to keep track of everything at the same time.

now you're just complaining, but I've heard that in championship matches they have a "best time out of 2" competitions wherein each player gets to play first in his round and the one who won fastest (assuming there's a draw) is declared the victor.

Chessmaster or Fritz you all? And don't say the one that Ubisoft left to die.

gnome-chess

The hell is this Tuxracer type shit?

Because chess are racist.

I will forever admit that I am shit at chess and I have no patience to learn it, but I will forever be amused by videos of chess hustlers getting dominated by anonymous chessmasters.

his computer > your computer

Chess 2 is what sequels should be.

what would chess be without chest?

Al-Quaeda chess that's what we called it in high school, it was faster so we could play it during lunch break
It's not nearly as "deep" as normal chess, but can make for an interesting alternative occasionally.

a bit of aloha at the snack bar?

Oh man the animations in that game were wonderful. Somewhat related, there's a Quake chess mod, Quess, where the pieces are Quake monsters. Knights are pawns, the king is a zombie, etc. It's pretty cool.

i cant deal with this

I hate this kind of characterization they give the pieces ingame, and how towers are usually super strong men. Battle Chess gave us fucking golems and shit, that was great.

Bizarrely they used death knights as bishops, leaving fiends as the actual knights. Not sure why they didn't use vores as bishops.

And if you watched the piece introductions, the queen isn't "one of those wimpy queens you read about in fairy tales" in Battle Chess.

>>>Holla Forums

You do know that lategame chess is all about sacrificing your queen? Or trying to fuck the other guy's queen too?
When you begin playing, it's just an overpowered piece.
But if you play for a long time, the whole game devolves into an NTR competition about who can cuck the other guy withouth being cucked.

Often, you set up a "trade stack" long enough to bait your oponent into thinking you're trading queen for queen with a few dozen pieces as casualties in the process. After the stack resolves, the guy notices you did trade queen for queen, each side lost a knight, a tower but he lost an additional bishop or tower as well.
I get an hard on when I manage to solve a stack without saccing my queen.

Chess is not for the faint of heart. But if you want a real MAN'S GAME, try Stratego.
It seems simple and RNG based, until you get to the mindgames, to the player fuckery.
And this is precisely because it IS indeed a very simple game. It decievies into thinking "Yeah, I got this under control. Oh yeah, you're totally gonna do what I think, I'm the best."
And then you're fucked 7 days till sunday and need a few seconds looking at what just happened just to understand how did you lose so hard they could use your defeat as bricks.
That game still gives me nightmares.

Does anyone else have more videos of grandmasters beating the tar ouf of these hustlers?

Queen is og waifu.

any non-shit way to play online, like lichess?

I really want to like chess but I have the same problem with it outlined. Practice is important but I feel like high level play just requires a lot of memorization, and not much actual skill.

Personally I prefer Risk and Stratego as far as strategic competitive boardgames go. Diplomacy is pretty cool, basically a super in-depth Risk, but it seems a little too slow for my tastes.

Probably the most fun boardgame to exist.

It's called Synchronous Chess.

regimentalchess.com/

so every match ends in a stalemate?

That's just because you've been taught it wrong, user-kun

Oh, you mean the problem with life in general. Don't let game theory throw you into an existential crisis, user.

lichess.org/Xnpa4grr

lichess.org/TYkQTMBh

fucking casual

Yet no one at tumblr gives a shit, not even the negress piece.

Stratego's strategy is pretty much being a tricky asshole.

I don't play games for babies.

It sounds like you were the asshole who took the game too seriously though

It's like you don't have several football fields full of space in your home to put the map. You're a disappointment.

that's weed 4u

Reading this thread is just an unpleasant mixture of anger and disappointment. I mean, if this is how you fuckwads think of chess I can't believe I ever took your opinions on videogames seriously. Don't knock it before you try it, and if you're bad at a game, it doesn't mean the game itself is bad - maybe it's just you.

Check your browser's url, you're probably in the wrong board by acting this new.

I've been playing chess for 25 years, it's very obvious when somebody is using a computer, you'll eventually run into a seasoned player and get banned very quickly.

Holla Forums really sucks from what I've seen/heard from others. And Chess isn't at all bad. Its a highly strategic, balanced game that doesn't have any bullshit luck involved. Literally the one unfair advantage present in the game is that white moves first. But they have determined that advantage is so small that its rather inconsequential; Null and void point.

The crybaby ass bitches in this thread are wrong from an objective stand point. The game isn't the problem, its the player. I am fairly decent at the game and will admit I get my ass kicked a majority of the time online. But I don't denounce the game's credibility. I just strive to improve

i can never keep a poker face playing that damn game

fuck off shill

I fucking wish, most of the people I play boardgames with can barely handle Memoir '44.

Where is anyone itt even bitching about the game this much?

It is significant at highest levels of chess where White is expected to win and Black is expected to force a draw. Yes at lower levels of play the advantage depends largely on whether the player prefers to be the aggressor or reactive and newer players are more likely to waste moves that grant Black the initiative but to say White's Advantage is insignificant is just being a faggot.

If you don't see the problem with pic related then you are a fucking poseur.

checkers is the superior sport

It sounds like you gobble dicks all day every day.

Some day I will be good at all games.

underrated post

It's like your average GPU benchmark graph

www.epicmafia.com has stratego in the games lobby under the name battlegrounds. has some other fun games too and mafia is nice as well

Literally no one here is saying that chess is bad expect for a few raging faggots. The rest is ironic jokes and shitposting.

It's truly a beautiful show, there are so many memes that can be made out of it. It's the perfect balance between cool and fucking retarded. I can't wait for R3 to come out.

Why are ball python's so cute?

tencentfags pls go

Chest?