Command and Conquer

I've never played any of the C&C games before, and I was wondering where I should start
I know that C&C4 sucks, but which one is the best, which should I play?

Other urls found in this thread:

frankklepacki.com/portfolio/game-TS.html
adityaravishankar.com/projects/games/command-and-conquer/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Most people will say Red Alert 2

All but C&C4 and Red Alert 3
besides those two, they're all pretty solid games

Tiberian Sun. Prove me wrong, nerd.

RA2 is pretty much the best, so maybe not start with it but certainly play it.

The original C&C or RA are probably a good starting point since you can learn the basics and general system that C&C uses in other titles.

There's an RTS thread up at that you might want to check out.

There's 3 main Command and Conquer games. Generals is a one off but is pretty fun. Tiberium wars is the one with Kane and GDI, can't go wrong from a story perspective. C&C 3 Tiberium is pretty good.

Red alert is the other ones and is also a pretty good series as well. Just take your pick really.

Generals was my favorite, and I played almost every C&C game there was.

Try out the first game and if it's too painful, either switch to Red Alert 1 or OpenRA and continue the missions in a newer engine that's not 100% accurate. My personal favorite is Yuri's Revenge because it has all the modern features I wanted out of an RTS and looks great.

The OST is the weakest in the entire series. That alone knocks it down a few pegs.

Generals is okay, never liked the base building and not being able to engineer rush. Otherwise a solid game with some bugs here and there on the re-release. Brother was playing and had a paladin tank fly off the map instead of drive up a hill and he could never select again.

Tiberian Sun's OST was great and you should drown in an ocean of dicks

You've got 2 timelines to choose from: Tiberian, and Allied/Soviet war.

For the Tiberian Series, if you want to start at the beginning you'd want to go with the original C&C. If you want the best story, I would go with Tiberian Sun/Firestorm. In my opinion C&C3/Kane's Wrath has the best gameplay but that's open to interpretation. C&C4 comes after that but its so incredibly shitty that people (including myself) are still in the midst of an autistic rage about it almost seven years later.

The Allied/Soviet games start with C&C: Red Alert. It's got some expansions that add units and a bunch of missions that are fun. C&C: Red Alert 2 is probably the best C&C overall. Its expansion, Yuri's Revenge, is also really fun and has a great campaign. There are more Red Alert games but they are bad and you can ignore them.

Also TibSun's Nod is the best, all hail Kane, fuck GDI

Fuck you leatherman
frankklepacki.com/portfolio/game-TS.html
Check 03. Lone Trooper, 02. Pharaotek, 09. Heroism, 12. The Defense 

but red alert 3 is leagues above any rts weve gotten in the past however many years.

Fucking Grey Goo is better than that turd.

honestly thats my only gripe.

That doesn't make it good, especially compared to the other C&C offerings

well, its still red alert, which was always better than tiberium bs.

This is bait

infantry reporting,
unit ready,
awaiting orders,
yes sir,
standing by,
no problem,
affirmative,
clear,
give me some room,
by your command

It really bothers me how Factorio, an indie autism simulator, is a better command and conquer game than any of the shit EA made, though that really isn't hard. Get Red Alerts, programmable vehicles, your choice of additional vehicles and autism revamp mods, and play the Tiberian Sun soundtrack for a comfy survival strategy game that perfectly captures everything TS had going for it.
There isn't a tiberium mod though

user..

wot

Renegade

Play everything in pic related in release order, though you can skip Renegade if you don't really want to play an FPS. C&C3 is also decent. Depending on your tastes RA2/YR or Generals would be the best, depending if you like the classic C&C style of gameplay or something more like Starcraft/Warcraft/AoE with a C&C spin.

Works on my machine :^)

The best

Can confirm this, playing Grey Goo I didn't have the miserable feeling that I had when playing RA3

Outdated UI

RA2 is better

How's your tolerance for older games? If you're fine with them start with Tiberium Dawn (grab the fanpatches for widescreen) and go from there.

The original. Best of the lot.

Some will say Tiberium Sun, but for me it jumped the shark with the atmosphere/design and I never liked it.

C&C is brettx good too

Tiberian is best in story and lore/world, Red Alert is best in gameplay and setting, this is objectively correct.

Cyborg Kane is shit.

C&C was 5 minutes into the future, set in your backyard. Comfy shit.

Tiberium Sun felt like some extreemely cheesy sci-fi, like an entire different universe.

Love the 90s.

Just do it up, OP.

It was a mixed bag, as for PC gaming. I love it.

Step it up fags.

Come on, can't you convert shit so you aren't linking glorified google spyware?
Anyways, if you want REAL RA music, listen to this joint.

Brings back memories of waking in summer days, take my breakfast from downstairs then go back upstairs to play it until sunset. Happiest days of my life.

Does Dune 2000 count?
Its a westwood strategy game with pretty much same gameplay…

No.

pls don't die

My life for Master Loli!

It's so hard to title one as the best. I personally had more fun in Tiberian Sun's campaign, but I think Red Alert 2 was overall better balanced.

listen to the entire thing, not just the first 15 seconds. lone tropper (when it kicks in at 2:20-3) and destroyer are pretty decent, and imo the best ones.

The user who said red alert 3 is good was probably just baiting. I never heard anyone say that it is good.

I knew a dude that used to play a bunch of RA3 because it was his first C&C. I had to coarse him to play RA2 and despite of that still says he likes RA3 more.
Guy was a complete casual however, he preordered nuDoom and FO4 like a retard and regretted it, twice. He's still on the denial phase with nuDoom being shit despite telling how he can't play it anymore and wants to try other games.

You start with the first one then you work you way up and you stop when you see a cancer warning label logo in the intro (EA)…

Which means BEFORE Red Alert 2.

Then you play Generals knowing it's not in the same universe.

Most people are retards.

The game was mediocre, but this song surpasses pretty much everything the older games have to offer.

Retard

So basically

Ok homo

If you block trackers and cookies there's nothing wrong with Google. And never use a Google/JewTube account.

Honestly I don't even care about "spying" because I haven't seen an Internet ad in years. Marketing parasites can't reach me because I'm the bigger parasite.

IN THE NAME OF KANE

It's a matter of convenience for me.
It's much easier to save a webm than to find a youtube embed

Does anybody play Renegade X anymore? I see there was a patch for it released a little over a week ago

I liked Emperor: Battle for Dune better. It had more variations between factions and the campaign was better.

Good taste, user. I like how each faction's music even gets its own composer.

(check'd)

Yeah, and the soundtrack for each faction was really well done. Harkonnen was my favorite but Ordos had some good tracks too.

Can somebody explain to me why RA3 is bad without comparing it to 2?
It sure wasn't anything special but nothing to get buttblasted over that badly.

you said to not compare it to ra2, but how can you not? As ra2 fans you get disappointing because you waited for this new bad ass game and instead you get a cartoonish bullshit game.

Other than that I dislike it for all the micro management, you have to switch molotov to get people out of buildings. Then those rocket guys have mines to stop tanks. All this bullshit that just makes the game complicated for no good reason.

And while you have all this bullshit you don't get real good mini abilities. In Kane's Wrath your shadow team can just drop beacons in the enemy team and then have your specters destroy it from a distance.

Then basically all your units are boring as hell. I mean even the expensive shit is medicore at best. Like can you name one good allied tank? even the expensive truck like thing is boring as hell to play, it just targets a building and then a rocket out of nowhere hits it. The new apocalypse tank has no anti air weapon and there is a general lack of units that are just overall good. Like can you name me a good and cheap tank in that game? In kanes wrath you got tanks that both hit ground and air units.

Naval battles are also crap, I hate how those shock boats can also move on land, and this one unit carrying boat can only hit people that are in air.

I could go on like this forever, but my post is already to long. Maybe one more thing is base defense, anti air is not strong enough (I usually destroy the enemy plane, but that shit ends up crashing into my base anyway).

I just think that Kane's Wrath is overall better. More tactical and also has harder and stronger units.

I half agree and half disagree. Anyways it's probably easy to mod in more music. I'd probably throw in the RA OST myself.

Test it for yourself.

Simply because a shit sequel isn't necessarily the same thing as a shit game.

And honestly most of your post is "It's different and I don't like it" with the only actual criticism being that the game is too micro heavy and make defense buildings useless for the most part which is still an matter of opinion but has basis in the fact that RA3 is trying hard to copy SC2 and fails to do it
There are actual criticism like the fact that the game is so massively focused on style over substance that most battle are a clusterfuck of visual noise and you can't do shit as effectively especially with how micro the game wants you to be, or that the empire are fucking rapemonsters in the hand of a semi decent player compared to other faction, or that the campaign is needlessly forced coop and the ai is fucktarded for the most part, or even that it tried to copy SC2 while failing to have a base solid enough to pull it and that led to decisions that directly conflict with the design (aka making deathblobs viable when veterancy is a thing isn't the brightest idea you could have)

micro management, cartoonish artstyle and boring units, I think those are valid points.

Just compare anti air in kw to ra3, in kw I actually have to sneak in using invis to avoid their shit because it hits hard. In ra3 you usually manage to destroy their shit, or end up crashing into their base fucking even more shit up. I also made some points in the rts thread, ore mines are cancer for example.

Also why do you have only 3 fractions? And yes, those asians are cancer as hell, they are so fucking cancer I avoid playing against them.

I would rather hear some points on why ra3 is a good game.

Giving every unit dual abilities, reducing overall unit count and variety.
General homogenization of factions also reduced variety.
Expanding on naval base constructionwas a novel idea but the thanks to the above it doesn't add much worthwhile.
Overly simplifying the econ with the ore mine shit and slowing down.
Forcing co-op into the campaign, meaning in single-player you had a dumbass AI partner to take care of with the missions still balanced around having 2 players.

Overall a lot more slow-paced than other games, slower than C&C3 even.

agreed with everything said here.
I actually loved this. I just love how you can drop your shit into ocean. Especially super weapons in water was a cool thing because now they are harder to reach for the enemy. I just wish you could build walls in water because some units can still swim and fuck your shit up.

Literally why? The campaign was utter garbage in my opinion, especially when compared to RA2 proper. It felt disjointed as fuck even if you knew where each mission was supposed to take place in the timeline, the missions themselves were piss-easy once you got past the initial hurdle that's known as Hollywood, and the novelty of fighting on the Moon and in Transylvania isn't something exactly awe-inspiring about it. Yuri's units were also several tiers of bullshit when you think about it and overall the balance was out of wack. If anything I'd say avoid YR all together unless you're a masochist and play Mental Omega after the original RA2. And yes I realize the irony in what I just said but MO is just that amazing from a story perspective.

Outside of the empire unconventional tactics with non- direct combat units were actually useful and unit had nice synergy the empire was "3 barracks one reactor and I rape your shit" for the most part but if you avoided doing that they were interesting to play too even if more on on the conventional side of things
Navy that was actually not completely useless because of air or too slow to have any real use, also amphibious units
The superpower system that escalated in a nice way and also synergized with units and other power instead of being "put unit here" or "drop damage here"
The extra single player mode from the XPack was pretty nice If you made the effort of not scumming all of it with barracks rush
Turtling isn't effective at all so it forces you to try and not be a bitch
The music was nice

I mean it's a 6/10 so obviously there isn't much to be seen here but it's not a step away from the shadow realm like people often imply.

I don't see how that as a downside frankly, outside of a handful of units that are way too micro heavy to be used effectively obviously If you have a 5 button mouse so it trivialize most of the unit special power micro anyways so it's not that big of a deal.

Compared to RA2 yes but compared to CNC post generals, most of the variety does come from how you micro your troops though but there's not many unit that have the exact same role and playstyle to them, even the Xpack with all it's bullshit overpowered units still has few that play the same way.

What was so bad about yuri faction? I remember people banning it in MP but I thought the only reason was because it was something that made prism-hoarding turtle allies uneasy.

I never played much MP so I'm only talking from a SP perspective, but the gattling guns and the gattling tanks were utter horseshit no matter what you did.

in wich c&c game is turtling actually a legit strategy? And I don't mean against bots.

It was retarded in MP due to half the units being useless and the other half being insanely overpowered. Gatling tanks were crazy and would rape vulnerable units instantly. If your control was good enough you could win entire games with only couple of Magnetrons infinitely juggling enemy units and dropping them on cliffs or into water, or better yet on enemy buildings to destroy both at once. Slave miners were broken as hell, and got even more broken when you started mutating slaves into Brutes and then sending them into the grinder for free money. The whole faction was untested and just tacked on as being playable.

In generals/ZH you can handle decent opponents if you turtle after an half successful rush and last I recall from watching CNC3/KW replay while not turtling there is generally a lot of base defense being build and it's generally useful as more than a deterrent for raiding parties and from what I recall creeping up with base defense worked mostly fine
In RA3 where even a shitter will destroy you if you try staying in your corner,ven the campaign AI will shit on you sometimes and the challenge AI in uprising certainly will fuck you up.

Haven't played near enough of the older games to make that kind of judgement

early game pressure is very important in kw and tiberium wars. You have to move out and capture buildings or you lose map control and then even the strongest base won't help you. Also considering how the economy and silos in those games work I would generally not recommend turtling.

Base defense is a thing, but it is generally recommended to place those near a important building, you don't circle them around your entire base like newbies do against AI.

I usually did rapid expansion / fast-tech to Scorpions + Venom spam, with laser upgrade later. The goal was always to get them out as fast as possible and start throwing blobs at the other guy's economy. Just sitting around in base waiting for the Tiberium credits to roll in isn't really a good idea.

Well i'd say that red alert 3 is overall still a bad game, but uprising at least adds a few new interesting units to the game.

roll

Because people enjoy it for skirmish matches, some of the added units are also fairly neat like the Guardian GIs

Have you guys checked out War Commander: Rogue Assault for mobile? The creative director for the game is Louis Castle, co-founder of Westwood Studios.

They are all too simple. Unless turn based. But this an RTS thread.

It's a true MMORTS where you control units in real time, not like Mobile Strike or CoC where you "plop and pray".

Now I would also not touch a mobile game or turn based game, but I must say I enjoyed global conquest in KW.

I just loved those fast combats. Create a team, send it in, and have a fast fight.

It's incomplete but still looks and sounds quite nice.

adityaravishankar.com/projects/games/command-and-conquer/

Just reinstalled Renegade X to see how it was going and whether it was still alive. The modders have been pretty consistent with patching it over the past couple years. There are a lot of new maps. I played on a really cool one with the crashed Scrin ship from Tiberian Sun, which you could even walk around inside of. The weather effects were really impressive and made the whole thing very atmospheric.

There are around 15 servers left up. Most of them were empty but I'm guessing that's because it's 4:30am est.

The gameplay seems so slow for some reason. I still like the original Tiberian Dawn game the most, the fucking memories god damn…

Lately I've been playing skirmishes of TS on OpenRA.

And if anybody is going to play Tiberian Dawn I do recommend OpenRA. The added features are nice but don't ruin the game

I mean TD of course

I found it to always be empty except for two servers. One with a time limit (which is always full because it prevents retards from creating stalemate matches by voting for Fields) and another without one (which is never full but very close to it, for the same reason obviously)

You won't spot SBH's sneaking by you that way.

Also did the devs finally add Tiberium X or are they just keeping the Tiberian Sun vehicles to the boxes? Might reinstall if they have

IIRC it was like 20 years in the future (i.e. right fucking now) and didn't go crazy with the technology. GDI even still had hum-vees. Well, also bases that could spring up inside of an hour.