Shmups Thread

What are ya shootan down nowadays, Holla Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!h8IywSBT!NJydXzKfTxrusqkQNmEeIQ
ustream.tv/channel/HyuvVFenAUp
twitch.tv/stgweekly
ebay.com/itm/Blazing-Star-Japan-Import-Neo-Geo-1998-Japanese-Version-/282319750960?hash=item41bb918730:g:Nm8AAOSwopRYct6N
freem.ne.jp/win/game/8513
twitch.tv/videos/118311681
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what do they do if their nose itches?

real shmup coming through

What do you guys think of Pulstar on the NEO GEO? I'm debating whether I'm going to buy a physical copy of the arcade cart or not (shit's fucking expensive)

I've only played blazestar. I like it a lot, still trying to figure out how to best utilize the charge mechanic

Still trying to 1cc Ibara.

I'm going to 1cc Cho Ren Sha 68K this year! I swear!

How often or how long does it take you to 1cc a game?
I'm still trying to get to the last level of Cho Ren sha and for other games I still die 50 times on bosses and other stupid mistakes.

one thousand full moons

I wouldn't know because I have trouble consistently 1cc'ing everything to begin with.

I think I'm going to get back into Yagawa today.

POOHOO A SHIT REEEEEEEEEE
PoDD is best 2huge, prove me wrong.

I want an Alpha Mission 3

It depends on the game, an average game would be like 10-15 hours

How much previous practice have you had beforehand with messing with shmups before you were able to 1cc them in 10 hours?

Maybe a few months, I played other arcade games before that though

Been enjoying Blue Revolver, good amount of unlockable missions with different modifiers

what is she doing with that broom?

Trying to unclog Sakuya's poop chute.

This game's a start.

YOU THOUGHT YOU BEAT ME
BUT THAT WASN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORM
RESURRECTION BUTTERFLY VERSION 10.0

Crimzon Clover is the best goddamn doujin shmup, everyone should try it when you get the chance.

Check out Hyper Duel. You can transform between a mech and a spaceship on the fly. Also has kickass music, as expected from Technosoft.

Diabolos is a nasty motherfucker by the way

What are some good ones on playstation 1?

Thank you fellow user.
I'll find a Saturn version since i just bought a Sega Saturn and is in need of games

I'm gonna assume you've already played Gunhound EX and Gigantic Army.

Einhander, R-Type Delta, Gradius Gaiden is the holy trinity of Playstation shmups.

Np mate, enjoy your system it's a damn good console with a ton of great shmups.

Are you going for a 2-ALL?

Does anyone here hate yourself enough to play for score?

It's fucking beautiful and makes the whole 3D gimmick on the 3DS completely worth it

Any and (almost) all since I love them, although I'm not that good at them and the closest I've ever gotten to a 1cc is Deathsmiles.

Einhander is the shit. Love the music too.

I like it when a shmup ties scoring into game design, for instance Mars Matrix and Radiant Silvergun.

Gundemonium series does it too. If you do things to raise your score high and fast enough, which is also tied to some shadow realm mechanic, then the levels get harder and longer. it is quite confusing to anyone that doesn't already know how it works and a bit hard to explain.

Doesn't Battle Garegga do the same? Or it gets harder anyway.

No, the dynamic difficulty is upped based on how often the shoot button is pressed, the items you pick up, and other factors.

Oh.

dubz

how would score NOT be tied into game design anyways?

In most shmups score does little to nothing for you besides getting extends, in those aforementioned shmups scoring is the only way to power up, making scoring an integral rather than optional feature of the game's design.

Thoughts On Aerofighters / Sonic Wings?

She's the motherfucker that named it Fashion Bug

PCB > Ten Desires > PoFV > shit > IN > every other shmup in existence

What is this shit?

Don't

go wild

Will there be any good Shoo-Ting games for the Switch?

lol no

I'm fucking overwhelmed. I don't know if I've got the stuff to handle this game.

Violent Ruler's pretty tough..

some bosses in DBCS might seem impossible, but they largely comes down to figuring out the blind spots in their attacks and using your Fixed Burst effectively on defense AND offense

This burst shit is amazing, but I still don't know how to use it.

unfortunately there's no tutorial aside from a guide on the DBCS

basically each Burst ship can fire a regular Burst and a Fixed Burst with a regular Burst dealing more damage and cancelling bullets, except it drains your energy fast. It's more suited for taking out large schools of enemies at once.

the Fixed Burst consumes less energy but also deals less damage, however you can change its angle on top of being able to fire your own weapons while using it
If you stop shooting, the Fixed Burst's angle will change depending on your ship: it will turn AWAY from Legend and Formula, but TOWARDS Next, making Next more suitable for using the Burst defensively

Your Burst Gauge is refilled by destroying stuff, dealing damage and canceling bullets (and sometimes clashing with certain beams). Ideally you always want to aim it at the boss for maximum damage while absorbing as many bullets as possible. Some bullet types like lasers (those purple ones), beams and enemy Bursts will usually pass straight through your Fixed Burst.

It's also possible to Counterburst when a boss fires its own Burst, which allows you to fire a massive yellow beam which deals much more damage, renders you invincible to enemy Burst while still cancelling bullets (it does NOT make you invincible) and multiplies your current score multiplier by 4 until energy runs out. Pulling it off relies on timing rather than button-mashing. Basically, there is a very small delay between pressing the Burst button and when it's fired. You can see what I mean if you quickly tap the button. If you get hit by an enemy Burst during that delay, you will unleash a giant Counterburst.

The Gaiden is fairly useful and easy to play on AC Mode as unlike other ships it has no shot limit, meaning you don't have to pointblank enemies to deal the most damage because of the limited amount of your bullets there can be on the screen when playing with other ships. The Black Hole Bomb is fairly straightforward to use too.

*on the DBCS website

Why would I play that glitchy garbage when R-Type Final exists?

QUICK, I NEED THE BEST OST FROM ANY SHMUP YOU CAN POST

Ask and you shall receive.

The Vic Viper is the single greatest shmup ship ever created.

sounds awful tbh.

You're the one who posted a ripoff of the Airwolf theme.

I like how this one got reused in V.

How the hell is that Darius song sound like Airwolf them?

I meant the Steel Empire one you posted.

I'm playing Guwage but I'm not too great at it so far. Being two characters on screen is fucking me up right now.

This OST is surprisingly great.

It's not what I would call a rip off.

I was being silly, like you were.

Also, can Bosconian be considered a shmup?

R-Type or Gradius?

Why not both?

I prefer R-Type personally.

I kinda like Gradius more since it doesn't have weird boss setups like some of R-Type.

Well how the hell am I supposed to attack that?

Still waiting on my English copy from PlayAsia along with Soldner X2.

Also, isn't there supposed to be a PS4 exclusive SHMUP made by some of the Ikaruga people? I think it was called Isabana or Asabana or Ass Banana or something.

Where's DDC?
Also TD? Are you joking?

I'm no amerifat so I don't have any idea what it is

some kind of unconventional soda that requires three cans/cups to enjoy its full potential

It's the company that makes 7-up.

how do I get good at AfterBurner

Cambria Sword was a nice surprise from C91
mega.nz/#F!h8IywSBT!NJydXzKfTxrusqkQNmEeIQ
Link lifted from a dead, previously word filtered chan

Adquire bloody proficiency, chap.

I'm streaming Batrider if anyone gives a fuck

ustream.tv/channel/HyuvVFenAUp

Make a twitch, nigga.

Why?

Ustrm is dum lol

i forgot i had this

anybody played this gem?

I have. I'm shit at it.

止めてください

Hi, /shmupg/!

I'm sorry, I don't know what a "Shmup" is. Are you talking about STDs [ShooT Dems]?

STG Weekly starting soon.

twitch.tv/stgweekly

So people, what do you think?

Tah-Tay as fuck.

By the way, this is not real, just an idea someone showed on twitter.

Looks familiar.

I miss Psikyo. ;~;

How do you lads play these games?

Shoot Them Down with a Flightstick!!

I FUCKING DID IT ON UNLIMITED FAM HOLY SHIT
>Z-Type
>Vanilla CC instead of WI
Not that it's any easier

Saturn pad is my preferred way. Arcade sticks are cool, too.

Wait a minute, is that a a SHUMP where you play as a Mermaid?

Isn't Z incredibly broken in the doujin version?

It's broken in every version when it has the fastest break charge, widest range, and strongest shot type. I think it's even stronger in WI though since its shot is even faster and isn't glitched on one side. It's true that it turns original mode into a cakewalk though.

[email protected]/* */ taste boy

Yup, it's radical.

Here you go user.

What's the single most expensive console shmup?

Darius Burst Chronicles.
Taito are kikes.

It's $70 on ebay isn't it? How is that expensive?

Ebay is full of scammers. Artificially inflate prices and scarcity so they can make 200% profits off of old junk you can get from japan for 1/50th of the price they charge.

DBCS is 46 bucks and usually goes on sale for 20
There's also an upcoming PS4 physical LE with a sweet-ass Silver Hawk figure, though it's rather expensive

Battle Garegga on PS4.

IRON MAN
I AM I-RON-MAAAAAN

Holy…..
ebay.com/itm/Blazing-Star-Japan-Import-Neo-Geo-1998-Japanese-Version-/282319750960?hash=item41bb918730:g:Nm8AAOSwopRYct6N

bump

Darius 30th Anniversary Edition; 13,800 yen for the original Darius on a Blu-ray and a CD collection

No completed listings. I doubt it's worth that much.

What is the best Shmup mechanically?

It's Dr. Pepper/Snapple's actual cola. It's everywhere in Texas, and I had it all the time as a freshman at Baylor, which is probably the only American college with an exclusive Dr. Pepper contract.

It's probably what gave me and those football players a constant rape urge.

Not the Ikaruga-type ones that's for sure.

There isn't much of a difference in terms of overall controls, but if you're talking about scoring and other bullshit, I suggest looking at MECHA Ritz. It's REALLY fucking fun and it's up for free grabs.

freem.ne.jp/win/game/8513

Also, this is pretty good if you're looking to get into the genre. You're given lots of resources (lives, bombs, and shields) so it never feels too difficult or overwhelming.

I don't know about the absolute best, but I would say that EDF 4.1 would rank pretty highly due to putting "shoot 'em up" front and center, having a large number of little things to learn and master, and a multiplayer setup that allows people of all skill levels to play together, contribute, and make progress.
Of course I am strongly biased in favor of any shmup that isn't a traditional scroller, things that mix with other genres and such.

The doujin version is easier.

What was the first SHMUP you 1cc'd?

not counting Novice modes, probably Dariusburst for the PSP, GT route

Games where the rank fucks with you, like Gradius and Battle Greg.

Now I feel like a filthy casual. I'll buy WI when I feel an itch to play it again. I burnt out 40 hours on the original for fuck's sake, so it's probably worth buying at full price with all the damn DLC.

Touhou 6 or Touhou 8. Samidare was only 3 stages, so I can't really count that one.

bump

where's the new video, rob?

Who?

Where do I begin with Shmups? I've got a bit of an itch for them but I don't know where to even start.

Moedan trains you with simple bullet hell patterns. 2hu in general is a little on the easy side of bullet hell.

As for horizontal shooters, maybe Gradius Collection, since that has difficulty settings.

the guy wh- go play mars matrix

dive right into them with something like batsugun

Ikaruga is a good babby's first bullet hell, since you're immune to half of the bullet types.

New STG Weekly episode is out, nurdos.

twitch.tv/videos/118311681

Random MSX shumps.

You also have a lot more invincibility frames.

Moedan is shit. It hardly teaches you anything a takes alot of time to get challenging.

I recomend playing 2hu on Lunatic or Hard, abuse the stage practice, and read The Full Extent of the Jam.