Pointless retcons in Vyda games

Name a more stupid pointless retcon than changing the ECU marines standard issued weapon from the MP5SD3 to M4 carbine And Changing Black mesa security sidearm from the Glock 17 to the beretta 92fs in Half Life?

half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Hazardous_Environment_Combat_Unit

imfdb.org/wiki/Half-Life

half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Glock_17

Other urls found in this thread:

masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Ammunition_Upgrades
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Lol dude who cares its just a game

Your autism is showing OP, the only stupid thing about the HD pack is that the M4 can accept pistol ammo.

That's nothing. Namco got drunk one day and decided that all of its games are in the same universe. Ridge Racer takes place in the Strangereal world of Ace Combat. Ace Combat 3 is the first game chronologically in the "United Galaxy Space Force Timeline" which is as follows:

2040-Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere
2067-Cyber (U+200B was here)Sled
2098-Cyber (U+200B was here)(U+200B was here)Commando
2189-Burning Force
2243-Galaxian³: Project Dragoon
2245-Galaxian³: The Rising of Gourb
2279-Galaxian
2281-Galaga
2281-Bosconian
2283-Gaplus
2288-Galaga '88
2289-Blast Off
2290-Final Blaster
2298-Bounty Hounds
2311-Galaxian³: Attack of the Zolgear
2335-StarBlade
2382-Dig Dug
2383-Dig Dug II
2385-Baraduke
2388-Bakutotsu Kijutei - Baraduke II
2399-Mr. Driller
2400-Star Trigon
2407-Star Luster
2459-Star Ixiom
2618-Mizuiro Blood (game scenario)
2623-Mizuiro Blood (blog scenario)
2659-StarBlade: Operation Blue Planet
2810-March and Destroy! Girl's Tank Battalion (added to the timeline upon release)
2845-New Space Order
7650-Thunder Ceptor

Implying

Apparently there was some unicode symbols it didn't like in that copy paste, oh well.

That and it wasn't even in HD and the PS2 Half life port models still looked better.

That sounds fucking amazing

Deepest fucking lore

Thermal clips.

At least they gave a lore reason.
masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Ammunition_Upgrades

It's magazi– oh fuck it. Fuck Bioware and fuck Mass Effect.

A reason that's fucking retarded both in universe and without.

a half-baked excuse, you mean.

What you mean?

If I remember correctly the biggest flaw in their excuse is that the guns were useless without a thermal clip. Why wouldn't the guns just revert back to how they worked in ME1 once you were down to your final thermal clip, it didn't make sense.

Lazyness I guess. It'd been neat if you could fire the weapons on a really slow rate without thermal clips but they were too lazy to bother and just amde a standar ammo system

They acknowledged this shit mistake on me3 and added a rifle on a dlc that works like me1 weapons, and it's also absolutely broken

Beretta > Glock tbh

It's fucking retarded that any military force would ever, ever, switch from a system that didn't require ammunition to one that does. The fact that the entire universe switched over to this inferior system over the course of two years is equally as retarded.

By eliminating the need for ammunition you eliminate dozens of concerns surrounding military operations. Weight is cut down, your soldiers have more space, you cut down on costs, and most importantly they can keep fighting with those firearms fucking forever because they don't run out of shit to shoot out the barrel.

Including them meant that everybody in the ME universe suddenly got ten times more retarded between games.

Mp5's make people think of SWAT or intelligence agencies, usually the good guys and civilians
M4 is what everyone thinks of when they hear "military rifle" now ask yourself, why would they make this change? I mean other then not being a /k/ fetishist.

Same thing with the beretta and the Glock, Beretta is good guys, Glock is shady govment

From what I remember, geths invented thermal clips and they were destroying all the other races with superior fire rate, htat's why they switched. Take into account that the standar fire rate must be like your character's on me1 start while thermal clips allow constant fire

Again, you should be able to fire without clips, and it was implemented on a retarded way but it could have been a nice concept

I'm STILL mad.

Problem is that they were obviously acting on the same rules as the player character in ME1. Likewise, pretty much everyone had shields and some kind of armor in ME1 while that got removed in ME2.

It could have been fine if it functioned as a give or take mechanic. You have a limited number of thermal clips you can pop when your gun starts to overheat, but the fact that the guns no longer operate at all without thermal clips means that they functionally become useless if you aren't lugging a million of the fuckers around with you.

I guarantee soldiers would die a lot more from not being able to shoot their guns after running out of clips, than they would from enemies having a slightly higher rate of fire. Which in itself doesn't really make a whole lot of sense because the guns themselves don't fire faster, just longer, with a thermal clip, but you have to stop and pop your clip, and put a new one in, before you can keep shooting, which would likely take just as long if not longer than ducking down and waiting a couple seconds for your gun's coolant system to do it's job.

It's also proven in the games that the old guns are fucking better because the DLCs add recharging weapons you can use that are like some of the best fucking guns in the game.

Except they don't, since you have to reload now.

OUch

when ME1 came out i drank the kool-aid and actually really liked it, enough to buy the first tie-in novel. not only was it total fucking garbage - seriously, i have literally never just thrown a book away before, i was raised too poor for that but goddamn - but they said that the gun itself is consuming and firing tiny, like molecular-sized pieces of the "magazine", which is a solid chunk of whatever the fuck space alloy. it's basically shooting sand at nearly the speed of light and can do so basically until the magazine is completely consumed or the barrel melts. i'm surprised that drew "i have never had a bad idea before" karpyshin allowed them to retcon that out

That's one idea that people actually have RIGHT NOW on how modern warfare will play out.
The "gauss rifle" idea just isn't here yet because we can't find a way to carry a large enough ammount of energy that can then easily be turned into electricity for instance.
With something like a gauss rifle, you could put small ball bearings in it and have them punch walls, given enough power.

Closest I saw was a gun that used heat to:
a)melt sand into tiny chunks of glass
b)generate pressure in a chamber
After the pressure was released, the glass would exit the barrel at a very high speed and embed itself in concrete some 100 meters away. Main problem was how bulky and cumbersome the whole thing is. Looked sorta like a bazooka, with some shit where it had to stand on. For that kind of weight, you're best served with a mounted MG for now.

Keep in mind that internal block where those chips come off of are actually always in the gun, just think of the thermal clip as a disposable heatsink, but the fact you couldn't get a thermal clip that could be cooled back down and was reusable was the nail in the coffin.The fact that you had to get the citadel DLC to get a non-thermal clip using gun made it so much worse.

F-fuck you

Anything Blizzard

The whole game retconned the entire universe out of existence

- Guys, this is fucking retarded, pretty much all your suggestions contradict what we've established in the first game.
- If we target dudebro/console/FPS/etc. audience our estimates show a 2500% ROI increase compared to the first instalment in the franchise.
- I've outlined the best places to make holes in the lore so it can be raped violently with maximum efficiency. And now I need to go do this important thing outside.

Any Metal Gear Solid game.

But the AR in-game isn't modeled with pistol mags.

Kojima retconned because the story was being written as it went on and he wrote better lore for it than Big Boss being a quarter-Nip who was ostracized for being a half-Nip who fought in WW2.

You didn't address the fact that it's entirely pointless.

It only makes sense for suppressive fire or the retarded combat in Mass Effect. It doesn't make sense in typical medium to long-range engagements with select-fire weapons.

Correction

How do they expect me to do my job with these little peashooters

Kane's Wrath is the only one. Because there were no games after KW.

on a grander scale than just vidya

Jet becoming a pre-war drug.

Even with Fallout's goofy and non-serious nature in the first two games it at least had mild internal consistency, that all went out the friggin window with Fallout 3 and beyond.

The sad thing is that they could easily just change "jet" to something else, and say the kid would use the fridge as a shelter/home instead of just being stuck in it.

the fact that he didnt say "oops, but thats kinda too small to patch. we have much bigger fish to fry atm" he dismissed it like "whatever, its just a shitty game with a shitty story. who gives a fuck, these games are a joke now"
actually.. maybe he's one of us.

That's far too generous at best, and fucking wrong at worst.

Mass Effect

Dragon Age

Anything by Bioware

*Jedi Outcast/Academy/KOTOR being none canon for fuck knows why**

that shit actually pissed me off a lot back then, got over 1k hours in half life and it just felt wrong.

Still pretty stupid though. "Hey, remember that infinite ammo thing from the first game? Yeah, we want the COD crowd buying this and they want more shooty stuff so…fuck you"

Hell, on a logistical standpoint, it's even dumber. Instead of having more people firing at one time with some cooldown (which can be negated by proper trigger discipline, rotating firing lines or you know, Frictionless Materials?) now you limit how many soldiers firing because of the limited clips. In other words, trading infinite firing with some cooldown for limited firing, just because. And don't give that shit about Geth's weapons being stronger. Sure, they hit hard but they lack customization. With regular guns, it can fire anything from piercing rounds to poison rounds.

And having to retcon Miller from looking like an Asian man in the Metal Gear 2 to looking like Liquid Snake in shades and having to retcon that Big Boss in MG1 is not actually Big Boss (which also retconned the Cyborg Big Boss thing from MG2)

I'm more annoyed at how defensive and aggressive the fucking PR manager got, what the fuck, it's your job to sate the fans, not tell them to fuck off

Valve was never good with properly representing their firearms in their games, look at the MP7 in HL2.

Regarding the changes in HL1 I think they just went with "rounder" weapons since supposedly the M4 and the Beretta would use more polygons, the Beretta M9 over the Glock 17 being more obvious.

You could change jet to ANY single other pre-war drug, there's plenty of options. And there's a mod which turns that kid ghoul in the fridge into a pretty interesting twist.

You speak normally with the kid, but when you open the fridge the kid is replaced with a skeleton and the related quest ends there.

don't forget that they're not reusable under any circumstance. There are levels where you're in arctic conditions or colder and somehow the clips after getting really hot from being used twenty times will never ever cool down again.