Point n' click thread

Does Holla Forums like Point n' click adventure games?

What are you playing? What's your favorite?

Other urls found in this thread:

abandonia.com/en/games/93/KGB aka Conspiracy.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9:_The_Last_Resort
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Contrary to my expectations related ended up my goat and then some.

REMINDER THAT SYBERIA 3 MIGHT HAPPEN AFTER ALL

What are the two first games ?

What is "related" ?

It's Heroine's Quest a spiritual successor to the Quest for Glory series which is a hybrid between RPGs and P&C

Anyway to answer OP, right now I am not playing any P&C adventure games. The last one I played was Tex Murphy Under a Killing Moon(I also played the first two). My favorite would probably be the remake to Quest for Glory 2.

The last one I played to completion was Gabriel Knight. I fucking love that game, but the second one was a let down, and the third one isn't grabbing me at all. C'est la vie.

I like them. I haven't taken the time to play any in a long time, though.

I recommend this one. It's a horror game where context of the story is completely different depending on which ending you get, and the gameplay changes a bit too towards the end depending on which path you're on. They're apparently making a high resolution version of this too.

Look up "Chzo Mythos" for the second one, it's a series of really good point&click mystery/horror games.

I had the first one on steam but can't remeber the name for the life of me, it's has a sci-fi theme despite the vintage look in that screenshot.

First is Gemini Rue, a cyberpunk-noir indie game with nice hand-drawn art, good voice acting and a entertaining story.
Second one is Trilby's Notes, it's part of a series called the "Chzo Mythos" developed by Yahtzee Croshaw (that guy from The Escapist who makes the Zero Punctuation videos), they're pretty creepy games, although kinda short, all of them are free in his blog.

I don't want spoilers or anything, but how does that even work?

I played Asrael's Tear as a kid but i got soooked. Is it any good?

as if

from the point and click games I have played only Woodruff and Gobliins had any resemblance of gameplay outside of trying X items on Y things

I don't remember exactly, but what's happening in the place you're at has a different explanation in different endings.

To pull an example out of my ass; you wake up in a graveyard, and either of these is possible:
- you got drunk and sleepwalked there
- everyone turned into zombies and dragged you there during the night
You just don't know why you woke up there until the end. The game can also start throwing zombies at you if you're on the path towards ending 2.

I knew the fun police would come.

Trilby's Notes is not point and click though.

That's certainly unique. I'd probably get my routes mixed up while I'm playing though and start wondering how the fuck I managed to sleepwalk all the way to the graveyard without being eaten.

How spooky is it, exactly? I can't get enough of horror themes, but I don't get that enjoyment from being scared that other people do.

You're right, I chose the only game in the series that isn't point and click, what an idiot. I should've made the thread about "graphic adventure" games instead.

Did you complete the challenge in the labyrinth? I'm still too lazy to get through it even as a pure warrior.

Thanks!

White Chamber is great, but I think the "Remastered" version looks like shit, I believe the artist and the developer had a falling out or something, I'm not sure, but anyway, the new art is really a step down.
Also, I just realized that it's been about 3 years without news now.

There are "deaths endings" in the game too, they are just funny bits you can do to see a way to die, 4 or 5 I think, but without any spoilers, the game works with a point system, if you do things you get points, or not depending on what you choose, there are 3 real endings and 1 secret "funny" ending, you should just play the game blindly first and see what you get, you'll understand and then you will be able to try the different endings.
It's pretty atmospheric, and the music is great too, I can't remember any jumpscare, everything is with story-telling, visuals and music.

It's so long since I played it that I don't remember.

It's very spooky in the sense that you don't know what's in the next room or what'll happen if you do X action, but I don't think it gives you any panic moments or jumpscares. Not sure though.

You guys are really selling me on this thing. I'll check it out, thanks.

Scratches is the best. Also happens to be the best horror game ever, and the game with the best atmosphere, give it a try.

Yeah, and I even got the paladin challenge

wew

Scratches has top-tier atmosphere and music, but the gameplay is utter garbage at times.

Is there a good essential/flow chart for point and clicks? I'm starting with Monkey Island but it'd be so nice to get a good idea of other shit to start with.

Heh, yah i don't know how he can just sleep after that. It didn't really bother me that much when I played it though.

lol fag

DDG has worked the best for me out of all not-google search engines.

What, was that post actually serious?

anyone try that released warcraft point&click? is it any good?

You know you're just asking for trouble thinking like that, right? I've honestly never seen either of the two done right, and they always end up in cirklejerks and shitflinging.

You can watch the whole let's play on youtube, it's pretty bland, not worth playing if you ask me.

a shame

Beat Gabriel Knight for the first time today. Had some utter bullshit (fuck those zombies) but I loved it.

Grace is literally the best girl.

Anyone play Stasis? Any good?

Most recent one I played was Axel and Pixel (pic related). Was bretty gud, though it did fall into the trap of 'poke everything until you find the thing that you didn't know you could interact with which turns out to be needed to progress' a couple of times.

I started playing this, but I think it bugged out. I walked into the "room" with the forest and the beach, then when i walked back to the previous room which had the blanket and the mirror, there's no prompt for exiting back to the room which had the video player and fire extinguisher.

Following charts 100% is too autistic, they offer pretty good starting points for genres though.

pic related is pretty gud if you like bongistan

Would Ghost Trick count?

Completed Toonstruck the other day, are there other point n click games with that kinda humor?
Already completed all the Sam and Max games

Really?
I'm from Argentina and not even I liked the game, not even to help support my dudes.

Neverhood?

Yah, well then name one game that has the same level of atmosphere.

ghost trick is more of a room-by-room puzzle game than a point n' click.

I can name horror games with good atmosphere, like the first 3 Silent Hill games, but I don't play many horror point and click games.

I think Miles Edgeworth Investigations 1&2 are the closest to point and click adventure games, since not only do you point Miles where to go so that he might Investigate(as opposed to Phoenix where you just see the room and point at the room to investigate) you also combine items thoughts to create ideas, to progress the story.

I don't understand

Is Armikrog any good?

I'm just here for Chzo Mythos.

you've never played Syberia, how embarassing

Its ok, feels like a bunch of people trying really really hard to capture the magic of the neverhood. Nothing I'd pay for though.

Are there anymore games like Phoenix Wright, by any chance? With detective investigations and the like.

There's the Edgeworth spinoffs. And then there's Hotel Dusk, though of course that doesn't have the court room aspect.

Tony Tough and the Night of Roasted Moths
Anyone remember this?

Good times

I played Syberia 1 like two or three years ago and thought it was alright but a little too slow. A few months ago I got around to trying Syberia 2 and didn't make it out of the first station because it was even fucking slower, the whole first area is basically linear and you have to just go back and forth from one end of it to the other over and over and over and over not even to solve puzzles, just to talk to someone at one end and then tell what they said to someone at the other end.
Needless to say, not enthusiastic about 3.

Christ that feels awkward. On the one hand, another point and click adventure game with a somewhat unique style seems like a good idea. But everything else seems forced hipster garbage. Like Episode VII.

Is the Blade Runner '97 game good?

it's fine and if you're craving a well-produced adventure game from that era you're gonna enjoy it. The trouble is that they went for this multi-path story that on paper works but in practice is clunky and bizarre.

They went for an original story too but stayed too close to the movie without branching out (Meet Tyrell! Meet JF! Meet the chief!).

The game is also really buggy if you ask me, but it could be a by-product of playing it way after the fact under non-ideal circumstances.

Pic is owned on Steam + currently installed.

GOG:
Longest Journey 1+2
Siberia 1+2
Atlantis 1+2+3
Gemini Rue
Resonance
Whispered World. Shit game, dont get this.

CD:
All Myst games, including Riven.
Back to the Future

Favorite: Dont know. Primordia is pretty cool, but short.

Haven't played it since release. I remember there being a fair bit of pixel hunting going on with it. It was pretty good at getting the Brade Runner atmosphere going but yeah it was a bit too close to the movie, was interesting getting a bit more into side story territory though.

Why? I have not completed it yet, I do have it though.

Took me 20 minutes to drop. What happened?

They apparently added a new opening segment that people say its much worse than anything else in the game. Either power through that or play the original.

How did we go from this
To this

It's not just that. Why 3d models which are uglier than the original animated characters?

That was good, Ill have to get it again

Point n' click games derive from adventure games which are among the oldest genera of games out there. You're like one of those newfags that think FPSs started with Halo.
Go play Maniac Mansion or Shadowgate and then comeback and tell us how non game like they are. Oh and no guides or FAQ's either, sugar tits.

Its a suffering even many years ago.

fester mudd is the only game that brought back the monkey island feel for me
too bad there won't be a sequel

did ya try deathgate? I played the dos version and my eyes were bleeding
it was still worth it

STASIS
I wish I knew what the fuck happened in the end because it didn't make any goddamm sense and the devs even said that the MC is unreliable and what we see might not even be true in the later parts of the game.
Spoilers:
You look for your wife and find her name on a list of "mothers" or some hybrid monsters, implying she's long dead. MC hardly reacts
You see your daughter murdered in front of you -one-sided mirror inbetween you-, yet that girl you see looks 5 with black hair, in an earlier flashback your daughter is like 8 and blonde
The highly aggressive hybrids that slaughtered most of the people on board never attack you. In fact, later on there even is one stalking you, you see him in several rooms creeping in the background and dissappearing

THAT FUCKING ENDLESS WALL OF TEXT

/bin

I thought I'd see Scratches pop up in this thread. I'm usually the one that brings it up in the weekend horror threads. Game is great in the areas that count.

That's the joke though

At least when I bought it, it was bugged the fuck out, couldn't complete. It wasn't interesting enough to try it again after patches came out, unfortunately. The trailers promised much more fluidity and interaction, it just looks so off with the static backgrounds and a 60fps claymation doll.

Anyone else play Steppenwolf?

Holly shit, I knew I played some of the games on a flash game website. I only managed to complete one of them, but I really did enjoy them, when I was 14.

If you decide to replay check out the chapter specific intro/outro videos. The story is a mess without them and the games don't give you anything.

That was good stuff. The German dub was surprisingly decent as well.

Was there ever any effort at changing the art for the mc? She seriously looks like a deviantart donut steel "look at how animu I can draw :3 I'm pretty mature for a 14 year old xD", I can't take the game seriously. I know the source and assets are available. Damn, I wish I could draw.

That's sad to hear.

have some nice tasty freeware on me

Any point&click adventures with a setting in soviet russia or something like that? Going around as KGB and uncovering shit done by western spies ANU

nice thanks, I'll give it a try

Sort of…

fuck that was so unexpected

sage negated

abandonia.com/en/games/93/KGB aka Conspiracy.html

Requires DOSBOX

Second one starts with a Terminator theme.
Third is in development and looks like shit.

goddamn I hated that game. reminded me too much of kings quest

How so?

I actually started a run of SQ4 late last year that I've been meaning to go back and finish, thanks OP.

Some of the puzzles in this game where absolute garbage.

See the rope and the hole in the wall, and using the knife on that one cabinet.

And to elaborate. I was spamming the knife and screw driver all over the cabinet because you needed to pop a certain thing off of it. The entire time you where suppose to use it on this random section of wood towards the bottom of the cabinet.

you die all the goddamn time. it's really infuriating. at least it was for me at the time

Did they actually make sense, or was it "you did something completely logical, but that wasn't the solution so fuck you"?

Got this installed and running after jumping through a few hoops
Will probably play it sometime this week.

If I remember correctly that game has no win states that you won't be aware about until hours later unless you are playing the rerelease where they added a hint system.

Anyone know of a rendered 3D point&click game where you explore some kind of castle/mansion with a spooky skeleton in it?

I played it many many years back and I'm pretty sure it looked very much like pic related, both in style and in rendering.

I remember at one point you had to put a pizza into a microwave, and there was an animated painting with one of those illusions where you have to cross your eyes to see a 3D image inside of it, I think it was spinning gears or something. There were at least 2 floors to the place, and on the second floor were some kind of slot machines and you could put coin(s) in them.

If I remember right, a skeleton would be released towards the end and could actually catch you if you ran into it or something.

Was it D?

Gone Home

Other details
- it was first person like Myst and room escape games, so I guess it's not "point and click" in some sense
- there were no people that I can remember
- some cutscenes/transitions might have been animated? I kinda remember entering/exiting the main door having an animated cutscene, but I could be wrong
- you could go outside, and I think there was another small house/tower there or something after going through a narrow path
- there was some kind of telescope/star puzzle in the living room
- I think at one point you restore power to the place? not sure
- of the rooms I can remember, there was the entrance hall, some kind of living room, a hallway, and a kitchen in the first floor. the second floor had the slot machines or something immediately in the hallway when you go up stairs
- the space the game was in was very small, there weren't that many rooms
- I had the game on PC on a CD

I cannot find this damn game, I'm pretty sure it wasn't super obscure either. Names like "mystery of x manor" sound very familiar, but they return wrong games from search engines.

I got so pissed off that I didn't get very far, but I remember dying a lot for simply entering the "wrong" room

When you get stuck and rubbing every inventory item on every piece of environment doesn't help.

Realms of the Haunting.

7th / 11th guest.

I miss being young and getting that "oh DUH" feeling.

It was really fun, worth trying

I'd rather have the revelation that the solution was bullshit rather than seeing that I was the dumbass in not seeing something obvious.

I don't mind laughing at myself, but learning that you were bashing into a wall for the past day is frustrating.

Not either of those. I swear this game has ceased to exist, I read long forum threads about obscure Myst-like games and long game lists but could not find a trace of it.

I remember it so clearly for something so old though. Pic related is the rough layout of the first floor of the house.

I also remembered another detail; I'm pretty sure a phone rings at some point, and you can hear it throughout the house. When you answer, I believe it gave you some jumbled sounding code message, although I'm not sure about that.

The photo on the wall is apparently called an "autostereogram". You'd think something so unique would make the game easy to find, but nope.

i want to fuck max

I recommend you go the Weird Old Vidya thread ( ) and check the lists there. Ask people in that thread if they'd heard of it before.

I think that's how part of Gorrister's level goes but its been years since I played it

Can any of you kind anons recommend me a good point & click game either set in space or with "soviet atmosphere". Bonus points if there isn't a lot of those dumb impossible puzzles where you just have to spam everything and hope something works.

Any of you guys played Chains of Satinav and Memoria?

I liked them, the story and ending were on the weak side by the ost was pretty good.

it wasnt bad. I here theres a sequel

Just finished Technobabylon. Anyone else play?

Wanted to penetrate Max's tranny ass tbh fam

Not sure if you'd call it pozzed or not but I enjoyed it.

For "soviet atmosphere" see

For space, you can try the Space Quest series or Star Trek 25th Anniversary.

That slow gameplay would drive me fucking insane.

the game is worth playing, but please pirate it, it's pozzed to hell. We have trannies, faggots, lesbians, treehuggers, globalism, racemixing all glorified, and religion and muh evil Texas demonized. It literally is the most pozzed adventure game I know of.

wat game? Looks interesting but also sadly this:

Such is life in Russia.

Can be even worse

I didn't get that out of it. Sure it has all of those but it doesn't beat you over the head with it, it's just there. There's also stuff like sexbots, evil commie chinks and so on. The main character even mentions something about how he doesn't want to listen to one of his colleagues blab about merits of centralized government any more.
I've also checked out dev's other games. Previous one you play as a prostitute and it has a chris chan reference so I doubt they have any intentional progressive agenda.

But do pirate the game if you want to, I don't want to shill.

Broken Sword 2.

user, there's, like, nine of them already. And the last one was made in 2009, they are just remaking them for new systems now. But yeah, series went downhill somewhere around third game.

Oh.

sure it's not completely hamfisted, so I recommended it anyway. but still I get the vibe that devs are total libcucks out of it. Anyway, Primordia and Resonance from the same publisher are also good and similar if anyone is interested

I agree with
I didn't get the libcuck vibe from it. I followed the dev for a while and he doesn't seem like a fag. nevertheless, he made better games.
the blackwell series from him are some of my favorite games. give 'em a try (in order)

You're thinking of Wadjet Eye? Aren't they the publisher?

yes. as far as I am aware, they (he) is the dev.
not sure about Technobabylon. he did do some colabs

Developer(s) Technocrat Games
Publisher(s) Wadjet Eye Games
I stand corrected

I recently bought and played Primordia and thought it was okay. Ending was a bit ho-hum, though. Not quite as good as Gemini Rue, but still fine on its own.

Been thinking of trying out Shardlight. Has anyone played it and care to post some impressions?

My impression of Shardlight was that it's not quite as good as Resonance or Primordia. Pretty standard postapocalyptic setting and some annoying puzzles. still its ok I guess

I had kinda written Resonance off, though for the life of me I can't remember why. If you say it's good, I'll definitely look into it, thanks!

Anyone who played White Chamber got this issue?

Kate Walker porn when?

Can anyone help me with the name of a P&C game? It was a point and click game, a free game made in something like AGS.

You started as a dude in his home, then I don't remember how but the story got turned into you running from or trying to find out more about the aliens in the city. Hard to remember much, just knew there was a bar outside your home.

DUDE. I fucking got this on a cd full of flash games back when I had no internet. I played all of them but I think I could only finish like one or two. Damn, I need to download them all.

Work backwards from the end. I.e. come up with solutions and build the puzzles around them.

Also, not really point and click but I enjoyed this little flash game years ago.

This sounds similar, I never finished it though so I don't know about the pizza fiasco

9: The Last Resort?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9:_The_Last_Resort

Just finished Blackwell Legacy. Really short and production values are strange but I really liked it. The graphics are very charming.

Just be mindful of

Have you tried scouring the AGS website?

Take it easy, guy.
Here's some bullshit statistics:
50% of adventure game puzzles involve talking to someone until you get an item or objective.
40% of adventure game puzzles involve combining one or more items to make something happen somewhere.
10% involve an actual puzzle like a slide puzzle or something with individual rules.

If you're going to make a game, then please make the answers actually make sense.

Yeah, that's my recommendation too. It was decently crafted, but the pozzing really took away from the gaming experience.

Theres that word again
Please explain how the game spreads HIV

I unironically enjoyed this game. It's a bit short but pretty fun.
I like how the final boss fight is basically two jews trying to outjew each other.

Yes. No luck.

heh I might try it today. Not a big fan of jews, but the premise still seems fun

I've been on a glut of Legend Entertainment titles: Companions of Xanth, Death Gate, Shannara, and Callahan's Crosstime Saloon.

The Inner World was pretty good.

Out of Order was free, were you thinking of that?

I remember this. I thought it was kinda cute. I like the protagonist.

I haven't played many, as the cliche of puzzles that take hours to solve with obtuse jumps in logic seem to be common in otherwise good Point&Click games; it puts me off from fully enjoying them as often as I would like to.

Gemini Rue had a puzzle which had me slightly sour after I had found it after many hours of scouring for a way to move forward(involving a certain thing in a hotel)

Considering the setting it's significantly less "pozzed" than I would have expected.

People really do seem to overreact to this kinda thing lately.

REEEE

Put some time in on SQ4 this weekend. Forgot to pick up the goddamn slime, so I had to restart. Got frustrated when the Lesbians from Phobos or whoever they were killed me when I didn't instantly get back into their submarine, ragequit. I'll get back to it, I'm sure. It's been nice to replay an old point and click adventure game, although I can see why this genre hasn't gotten any love in God knows how long.