Chrono Trigger

What are your thoughts on Chrono Trigger Crimson Echoes and/or Flames of Eternity? Also general Chrono Trigger thread, best girl is Schala.

Only ever played the base Chrono Trigger (and the DS port at that, which if you ask me turned out pretty decently). Are those romhacks, or some fangame attempt at adapting that VN into more of an RPG format, or something?

It added a bunch of extra shitty content that ruined the game lore.

I haven't gotten through much of Flames of Eternity so far, but what I have played is pretty neat.

I meant on a technical level. It managed to have the PS1 FMVs but without the PS1 port's apparently ridiculous loading, and the options for whether or not to move the menu to the touch screen or leave it up top, or whether or not to have the FMVs even used seem like a nice way to appease both old and new fans. I can't comment too much on some of the additional content beyond Lost Sanctum being shitty (I haven't played Chrono Cross either, though I know it's a tad love it or hate it for fans of Chrono Trigger), but if I recall that stuff was optional, and as far as the prior content that was ported over it seemed handled pretty well. Lost Sanctum didn't ruin the game for me, though I probably won't bother with going through that slog of a sidequest again.

You're right on the technical level. It was a pretty good port. The translation was better too, just, the extra content was a bit rage inducing for long time CT fans.

I can see how that would be the case, depending on how one feels about Chrono Cross' relation and whether or not the original game needed more of a direct tie in to it.

What all did they add? I thought it was just another ending and a bonus dungeon.

Never heard of them

They're fan-made sequels to Chrono Trigger, sort of like Mother 4.

Decent spritework, shitty everything else.
King Zeal is a good character, though.

Wasn't impressed by any of them.

On a technical level, they were impressive romhacks, but the storytelling was derivative fanwank. I was hoping there would be some interesting development, but both seemed a little too fanservice and self-indulgent as opposed to being good.

But then, even Chrono Cross was bad. I've pretty much come to grips with the fact that Chrono Trigger was a once-in-a-lifetime experience that can't be continued or adapted.

Sucks, but it is what it is.

Flames of Eternity is a prime example of what you should never make a romhack for.

The fucked continuity in order to bring it in line with Chrono Cross.

- Magus & Co are brought to challenge the Time Devourer and job to the thing, so Magus in a fit of supreme emo scrubs his brain clean of all memory of who/what he is (setting up that shitty magician character in CC)
- Chrono & Marle are killed in an uprising against Guardiana by Porre. You know, that nondescript hamlet just south of Leene Bridge that gave no indication whatsoever that it was in conflict with Guardiana nor evidence that it had any standing army.
- Said standing army was lead by Dalton, the two-bit incompetent of Zeal who was a less interesting bossfight than his Golems, and also who wasn't even sucked through a space/time warp like Magus & the other royal family members were.
- Lucca finds a baby in the woods and decides she'll never have sex and establishes an orphanage.
- The Lizards in that one special ending (you know, kill Lavos before facing off w/Lizard people in Tyrano Tower and they end up somehow overtaking humans and swapping places because Reasons™) officially inherit the Berenstein universe, and establish the 7 dragons and the calculating computer place that becomes the equivalent of Chronopolis.

It gets worse when you revisit Chrono Cross and realize how thoroughly the 2nd half shits all over Chrono Trigger. And now it's unquestioned canon. Fuck Squaresoft.

Sounds awesome

Except it's all undone by the true ending of Cross, and everyone, even the original party, gets their happy ending.

What in the nine fucks are you smoking, user? It's bad for you.

I think it was because the music sounded like it for a second.

Apart from decent sprite work and dragon ball characters it doesn't have anything setting it apart from other jrpgs.
As a matter of fact there are other jrpgs with better spritework as well as other jrpgs with dragon ball characters.
I fail to grasp why Holla Forums wanks so hard on it.

This kind of kids grow up into leftists.

How many other JRPGs have time travel as a gameplay mechanic you can do at any time?

Nope, all the bad stuff got undone because Chronopolis never got send back in time, because Schala/Lavos were never in the Darkness beyond Time.

Come on, RPGMaker has better graphics.

People have to try to say things as stupid as what you just said.

It's one of the only JRPGs I find to have any value. Considering my distaste for the subgenre, it's got something going.

What sets Chrono Trigger apart from most other JRPGs isn't that it's wildly different from them, but rather it does everything they do, but better. It takes all the standard tropes of the genre, polishes them, then brings them together to make a game that's greater than the sum of it's parts.

This bait is so poor that I have to use the shittiest bait image in my folder.

Radiant Historia.

CHRONO CROSS ISN'T REAL
CHRONO CROSS ISN'T REAL
CHRONO CROSS ISN'T REAL
CHRONO CROSS ISN'T REAL
CHRONO CROSS ISN'T REAL

Technically true, as its events all unhappen due to how the ending works. Everyone is happy, the original CT ending is restored. Hurray!

sounds like you've played fuck all JRPGs

AAAAAH GONZALESU

It's more the entire world is destroyed, and they come to our world, based on that one scene with the crowd at the end.

nice quads, but chrono trigger is still plebe shite

No, that's 1999AD without Lavos. Not our world. Similar.

I played the DS version and this is all news to me. When did this happen?

I didn't see any domes though.

You mean the 3 extra dungeons or did I miss a new feature entirely?

you played the wrong rpg, chrono trigger is terrible

That's because it would look silly live action.

Okay, I found a guide that mentions Dalton reappearing as a boss and saying he's going to raise an army from Porre. I don't have my save file though and I'm not going to read through the entire guide for all of the new content just to find the relevant stuff.

So just how derivative is I am Setsuna, and how badly does it fail at emulating CT? I've never seen another game flat-out state 'we're desperately trying to be this other really good game' before.

pretty badly, dropped it prety fast, as far as I could see it was all snow areas.

Snow really is the lazy artist's crutch for looking "deep" and "beautiful," isn't it?

I thought it read echoes of eternity for a second.

Also Schala is second best girl

It's shit. It's FFX+Snow with CT's systems done poorly. No charm at all, except the soundtrack, which is monotonous and only piano.

It's been awhile since I played Chrono Cross, but didn't it have multiple endings?

Yes, as does Chrono Trigger, but the canon ending using the Chrono Cross to free Schala from the Time Devourer outside of Time undoes everything after CT ends, and gives everyone a happy ending, except Kid/Schala, who gets displaced into 1999AD and still remembers everything and wants to find Serge and Janus.