Minetest: Mods and Miracles

Hey Holla Forums! A new version of Minetest just came out last month, and theres so many changes that they haven't even finished the changelog!
This post covers a bunch of it: forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16167&start=25#p244391

Another, more technical overview of some of the changes: forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16167&start=25#p243949

Minetest is an open source Minecraft clone written in C++ that has a Lua modding API and a 238328000000000 (238 trillion 328 billion) block playing area. The base game is very barebones on purpose, you're pretty much going to have to install mods, which is dead simple: throw mods into the mod folder, throw texture packs into the texture pack folder, and throw subgames into the subgame folder. You need to enable them in Minetest to use them. Also, you'll have to remove the "-master" that is typically appended to the mod folder names when downloaded from github.
You can download and learn more about Minetest here: minetest.net/

The main advantages Minetest has over Minecraft are:

There may be other advantages, but its been quite a while since I've played Minecraft.
For mods: forum.minetest.net/viewforum.php?f=11
For texture packs: forum.minetest.net/viewforum.php?f=4
For subgames: forum.minetest.net/viewforum.php?f=15
For maps: forum.minetest.net/viewforum.php?f=12

Numpad- and Numpad+ are the default controls for decreasing and increasing the view distance.

I don't have a server, nor do I know of anyone running a Minetest Holla Forums server right now. It'd be nice to have an anarchy one, probably with players spawning in random places if thats possible, since theres plenty of creative servers and servers full of rules already.

The texture pack used in my screenshots is the Minetest version of the Summerfields texture pack, with all additional textures for various mods added. You can find that here: summerfields.info/?tag/minetest
Almost all of the mods pictured are listed in the fourth image, flexrealms (the one that generates dyson spheres and o'neill cylinders and so on, available here: forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?t=7887) is the only one I can think of that isn't listed. It includes a lot of subfiles but I'm too lazy to list all my mods by hand.

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9917&start=250#p176616
forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9917&sid=bb9907535092e509093a36f06eb2ef47
forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16015
dev.minetest.net/TODO
github.com/VanessaE/realtest/
forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7573
wiki.minetest.net/Troubleshooting#The_screen_is_too_dark
forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2538
github.com/minetest-technic/technic/wiki
github.com/minetest-mods/pipeworks/wiki
mesecons.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I love these threads

By the way, one of the mods I use (creeper) has an issue: in init.lua, on the line 'mesh = "mobs_tree_monster.x",', it should actually be 'mesh = "mobs_tree_monster.b3d",'
I guess this creeper uses the tree monster's mesh, but uses its own textures. You can download the unfixed files here and change it yourself if you want: forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9917&start=250#p176616
You need Mobs redo and the mobs redo monster pack to make it work: forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9917&sid=bb9907535092e509093a36f06eb2ef47
Not sure if it really works with the current version of mobs redo since I haven't seen a creeper yet, but it stopped the errors from showing up regarding it not finding a mesh.

In other news, theres some real cool stuff on the mod releases forum, like this mod that adds an asteroid layer, with a custom skybox and all: forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16015

Always good to hear that someone appreciates them.

The problem with minecraft that I have it's that it does not have an objective. Maybe some people are fine with creating their own fun, but I'm not.

If I do not have objectives that give me a reason to play the game it's useless. I could never find minecraft even though I'm a bit autistic with certain game features.

Is that factions server still going? Is Xenos still causing havoc?

You know why people mod games? Because they find the base game interesting enough to mod for. You won't get many people modding a game that's barebones on purpose because most people aren't going to find it interesting enough to bother.

Have they patched the world generation to not be shit? I'm not even shitposting, my rig can't run the game high than 15fps because of it. At the very least does the game run smoother?

That name sounds familiar. Was he on a Minecraft factions server before? I remember fucking over one of the faggots who did nothing but constantly raid and destroy towns and I think Xenos was on the server with him.

Explore, mine, build. If you're not in creative mode, you obviously have to survive as well.

They've been modding it for years already, where do you think I got all the mods?
If you want an out of the box experience, you could download a subgame.

Does it lag on the default subgame with no mods? You could change the map generator thats being used, and fiddle with the graphics settings.

So no then? Even on lowest settings the game just stutters endlessly trying to generate more land. It's as utterly broken as it is in Minecraft. Though I heard Minecraft got an update fixing that recently.

Damn it, I was hoping they fixed some of the most glaring issues, but they mostly just added decorative shit and crafting recipes.
These are things they SHOULD be fixing:

What kind of toaster do you have? My laptop with an i7 HQ of some kind and a GT555m can run 50fps while generating terrain.

i7 are top tier processors, not everyone has a great gaming PC. I can say that I, with a fx 8350, struggle to run this smoothly.

The problem with minecraft that I have it's that it does not have an objective.

Neither does life.

You aren't overclocking the FX hard enough. You should get the same or better single core performance as my chip. Had to look it up, it's an i7 2670QM. You're doing something wrong.

It's nothing great but I can run Grimrock II, or Orks Must Die with relative ease. I could probably play the game with a $500 rig if I had that money but for a game that looks like Minetest, it should be running a lot fucking better.

A literal piece of shit AMD E2 based laptop can run Minetest at 40fps if someone else is hosting the server. If you're playing online, you should be fine. If you play by yourself, it still shouldn't be that bad.

Like I said if there's no improvement in performance quality in this update then I won't be able to play the game. And that's assuming I don't want mods which I do.

Dude, I finished GTA V on medium-high with 45 to 60 FPS. How on earth do I have shit fps with a minecraft clone that's not even complete?

Yeah, and the modding community is almost as barebones as the game itself. The majority of mods that do exist are stuff from Minecraft not in Minetest, or mods that already exist for Minecraft. People rightfully criticize vanilla Minecraft for looking terrible, yet vanilla Minetest looks even worse. And the modding api, which having one is supposed to be a huge deal compared to Minecraft, isn't even as robust as Forge.
So, with Minetest compared to Minecraft, you have an emptier base game with less features, less mods with less variety, and more difficult to use modding tools, all for supposedly improved performance and infinite vertical generation. To top it all off, its philosophy for existing is "mods will fix it," a phrase often used on this board to mock shitty games that need mods to be good.
The Minetest devs had the opportunity to make the game Minecraft could have been, the one everyone was hoping it would become when it was in alpha. Instead, they made diet bootleg Minecraft with the hopes that modders would carry it, when modders were already busy carrying non-diet Minecraft. Minetest is is fated to always be an incredibly niche game with a tiny modding community as a result.
One more note, a collection of loosely tied together mods is never going to be as good as a consistently designed, whole game of comparable size. Minetest is basically a game that expects the community to develop it, except the community is a bunch of individuals working towards their own ideas and goals with little cooperation with the other individuals of the community.

Not a fan of the mods in this game, I played on a server with Holla Forums some time ago and they felt like incohesive autistic poorly made additions.

pretty much this

Can this game run on a toaster that can't even run minecraft?

Its stupidly expensive. Hell, the model itself wouldnt even be textured, itd be using vertex colors to simulate the pixel texture, which means you actually would need to consider each of the 256 pixels in the texture.

Sometimes you just gotta do things the time-consuming way.

Owner of toaster: yes.

Be sure to join the multiplayer server floorchan.org for a fun and convenient time! Go east from spawn to use all the free machines and goodies so you start off prepared! Ride the rails all over the world from snowy hills to desert dunes! No enemies except zombies and rare mummies!

Actually i just realized that the worst case is 1028

Still quite a bit and doesn't scale well to higher resolution (32x32 is 4096+4)

are there any cute anime mods for minetest yet?

Will there ever be a TerraFirmaCraft style mod?

B-b-but it's open source! That magically makes up for the complete lack of content, right?

Does anyone else remember a time when open source meant "here's the source code, have fun with it" and not "here's the source code, finish it for me"? I don't

There were a couple things that might improve some users performance, but its not major for low end users:

Check which video driver you use in the advanced settings. If you're on Windows, you could switch it to Direct 3D 9 or 8, maybe you'd have better luck with that than OpenGL.
Advanced settings > client > graphics > advanced > video driver
You can also fiddle with the maximum FPS here. Maybe target 30FPS instead of the default 60?

Also, if you have a 64 bit processor and OS, make sure you're using the 64 bit version of Minetest.

You can turn off clouds completely and other things in the basic settings
Advanced settings > client > basic

You can change the mapblock limit, which is the amount of mapblocks that will be in memory at once. You can find that in Advanced settings > client > advanced

There will always be some FPS drops when you first start a world, since its generating all of whats around you.
When you make a new world, you can pick what mapgen will be used. I'd say v5 is probably less intensive than v7, but keep it mind that some mapgen mods aren't compatible with some mapgen settings.
Could always try asking somewhere in the Minetest forums about settings for low end computers, I guess.

The u_skins db for unified inventory has some anime characters in there, including "vegetta"

They want to do that, see the TODO: dev.minetest.net/TODO
They'd probably have to cobble together some sort of MC clone subgame from various mods to get something that has wide appeal. I'm not a fan of m

Never played Terrafirmacraft, but there is a realism focused subgame called Realtest for Minetest, seems to be a bit old and unfinished though: github.com/VanessaE/realtest/
This thread has a link to the first thread and some recent discussion, first post is outdated though and full of dead links except for the wiki: forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7573

Whoops, I forgot to finish that.
I'm not a fan of the current subgames myself*

No, only shabby little mods from the stagnant little modding community.

Floorchan is still alive? Neat, I'll have give it a go.

tfw the stable package for your distro is still stuck at 0.4.14 and you had to get the git version instead

How much ram does it take?

Not as much as your mom takes every night.

someone finally hit the nail on the head.

Also, I have a high-ish end computer (an i7 and a gtx 780) and I don't notice any real performance difference between minetest and craft. Combine that with the complete lack of a good monster mod, or shader mod, or even a good texturpack, minetest just doesn't cut it.

It may someday get there, but right now minetest is more or less pointless. The only noticeable advantage it has to the end user is a deeper world, and honestly terrafirmacraft's ~150M deep sealevel is already pretty damn good

For the shitty settings with the mapblock limit set to 100, its roughly inbetween 220,000K to 310,000K walking around in this jungle in the second picture
For my modded setup with default mapblock limit (5000) and high settings, bump mapping etc, at view distance 100 its about 1,200,000K of RAM just standing here in the first picture.

From what I've seen of shader mods for Minecraft, they're garish and look out of place. They make my eyes water when I look at them.
I like the bump mapping in Minetest.

I like the one I'm using right now, but its available for Minecraft as well. PixelBOX Reloaded is good too.

Yeah, they're all sort of lacking. I just use mobs redo since it doesn't seem to be that demanding performance wise and has some variety in its enemies.

Maybe for you, but I like it better. I don't care much for most of the stuff Minecraft is better at, and I like what Minetest does better.

serber when?
i love playing with you faggots

I'm building a house by some cliffs in this overgrown aspen jungle. Its a rough neighborhood with some shifty characters, but I have cactus armor.

Also a nearby pyramid decided to abort itself and turn into a cube instead when it generated, ejecting its residents and some lava onto the desert floor.

Didn't the last one suffer a reign of terror or something? I only played a on the factions server near the beginning.

Has anyone attempted a Terrafirmacraft remake with this?

We need to make this the official Holla Forums bar…

You need to replace the blue blocks with purple ones then.

ACE OF SPADES SUBGAME WHEN

honestly you're just objectively wrong on that one.
the ones in your pictures? Absolutely horrifying.
so literally nothing. Aside from deep worlds, which severely gimps your potential breadth, which is more important for exploring and finding interesting locales.

not selling it there, bud. I want to like Minetest, its open source, doesn't run in a virtual machine and has so much more potential. But its all squandered and the final product offers nothing new or appealing to a minecraft player. Hopefully someday that will change

Something like that would be great fun, but we tried some gun mods on the old Holla Forums server and they sucked ass.

Oh wow, instead of playing the mess that is modern MC I can pretend to be playing the mess that was older MC. Amazing.

Older MC prior to redstone was comfy as fuck nigger.

What about Openspades?

Where do I make feature requests?

Because it would be amazing if we could generate rounded worlds like the NoCubes mod in embed related

That mod looks cool but it fucks with actual gameplay. Trying to mine a specific block is a shitshow… It's a neat experiment though.

NoCubes is barely more than a screensaver producer. It barely functions without chugging memory in Minecraft, I hate to think of how much worst it would be implemented in Minetest.

worse*
Time for bed.

I've played around with it a bit a long time ago when I still played Mineshit. Artificially placed blocks are still square so it doesn't affect gameplay that much as far as crafting goes, mining was king of fuckery to get a specific ore but its not game-breakingly bad

*kind
yeah I need sleep too

Do people still play on catgirls.animebitch.es? Here's some old caps from it. Exploring abandoned shit is comfy as fuck.

But can you mod the graphics to not look like ebin indie block shit?

I guess the autism will always be strong in the block-building community

I think they turned out to be goons or something.

Yes. It's getting comfier by the day with railroads linking all but the furthest settlements and chestfuls of free stuff near spawn.

Are there tech mods? I only play minecraft because it's at a sweet spot where it's fun but not addictive to build factories.

How do I get this to run in SteamOS

The water is out of place and doesn't fit in the voxel theme.
The ground looks too bright, it just looks wrong to me.
Its eye watering in general. To each his own, I guess.

Speaking of graphics, does Minecraft even have its own shaders without mods? What about an option to switch to node highlighting?

Well, they were originally made for Minecraft. I like them. What do you prefer, anyway?
The low res pictures are using default Minetest textures with the lowest graphics settings and no mods by the way, so those should be looking like ass.

Have you actually run of out horizontal space in Minetest?
What are the exact dimensions and size of a Minecraft world nowadays anyway?
Deep worlds make sense in a game thats, you know, about mining.

Minecraft's locales, even with mods, are boring as shit compared to Minetest with mods from what I can tell. The best they can do is a waterfall coming down from a lumpy mountain. If we're talking interesting locales, then Minecraft is definitely not the winner here.

How are you running out of horizontal map space when looking for an interesting locale in Minetest, anyway?

Well theres the weird finnish things in Minetest and some of the mods. A lot of the mobs mods have a monster named an Oerkki, which is supposed to mean Örkki, which is apparently a Finnish nickname for Hirviö, which means monster. I guess theres also mese blocks, which aren't in Minecraft.
Someone who has played Minecraft recently could probably compare them better.

You can change this by adjusting the display gamma in Settings > Advanced > Client > Advanced > Gamma
Some more help here if you still have trouble: wiki.minetest.net/Troubleshooting#The_screen_is_too_dark
This should probably be made a part of the regular settings since its likely to be a common issue for some people with lower brightness settings on their monitors.
The default night time brightness seems fine to me, by the way. Its dark, but you can still see. Obviously you won't see as well as during the day, but its brighter than being in a cave with no light or very little light. The nights being dark enough to hinder you is good in my opinion, it gives you a reason to actually make light sources on the surface.

Those are definitely big problems, but from what I can tell its the same old problem with these non commercial projects: they're working for free in their free time, and theres a mountain of other problems to deal with as well.

Technic adds that sort of thing: forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2538
You'll need to install moreblocks, pipeworks, moreores, and mesecons (last two are just required for some recipes) as well for Technic to work properly, they're linked in that thread.
Theres a wiki for Technic here: github.com/minetest-technic/technic/wiki
Pipeworks has tubes and pipes and stuff that transport stuff, heres its wiki: github.com/minetest-mods/pipeworks/wiki
Mesecons are the Minetest equivalent of redstone, although its developers claim its better in some ways: mesecons.net/

Name of this mod plox

I don't know what it would use up a ton more memory, it's something that should really only be applied through rendering. The marching cubes algorithm should calculate the rendering of slopes between adjacent solid/air blocks.
Really the marching cubes algorithm should only be applied to surface features like grass/sand, it's too obtrusive when it comes to mining.

Can you switch to a proper desktop? If so, do that and follow instructions for Debian.

The fun thing about marching cubes is that since its corner based, you can store the "merge state" in a byte since there are 8 corners

Step 1: Install gun in mouth and fire

Just install a normal Linux distribution like Lubuntu or Devuan, there's absoluely no reason to use SteamOS.

Where are the anarcho-capitalist spergs?

Minecraft is the stabilizer. The purpose of the minecraft psyop is to AstroTurf the comprehension and spatial perception of the player. You are a black person in a block world pov. You begin to see things as cubits of proportion. Your memory is spacial. Ask Cicero. Minecraft is used to neuter the creative potential in humans. This is by reducing the perspective to primitive blocks.data-grams that correspond to the cookie cutter cosmology of popular culture.
it is supposed to be like a humble geeky escape. The real social manipulation is being utilized with mandatory memetics. Minecraft is a psyop only if it is a social hierarchy. the leaders of the minecraft thought-form are abstractions. They keep their followers chasing their carrot of lolsorandumb funny abstract videos that is the opposite effect of adapting to the game itself. You are not suppose to understand this though you do naturally. MInecraft is Masonic boyfucking blotting out of creativity.

But it's still stuck on 0.4.14 with outdated mods. Is the admin even around?