Red Sky - New /agdg/ game actually released

/agdg/ here, I actually released my game. Its an fast, old-school kind of FPS game, running on a custom game engine that I spent a while writing. The embed is my trailer.

You can download it for free at ika.itch.io/redsky . I hope you guys like it.

The game has 16 levels, and takes about an hour and a half for me to beat, but will probably take someone who doesn't know it by heart over two hours. The maps start off slowly, but then get much harder as you progress through the game.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/XE1tO
archive.is/QmooX
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why is it called Red Sky? :^)

Your game is garbage, kill yourself, never show your discusting face again or go and actually develop something good, you indie fuckface.

Better view on a hamster face.

The sky is red :^)

Fuck, now after i watched trailer i remember playing alpha demo of this shit. Speed as remained garbage, as it still is. Get to work, its still shit.

Do you have a grudge against this guy or something?

He's a shitty attentionwhore, who doesn't know how to code games, and pretends he releases something nice. When you get shit in the face.

Just try his game. Then you understand.

I'm going to take it as some kind of /agdg/ drama I won't bother to care about.

All locations have same white textures, and absolutely no depth! You lazy fuck!

Are you, perchance, Russian?

Is Dobro down?

Livestream killing yourself.

Fucking board is full of newfags thanks to the Switch event.
Have you not noticed?

Woah

The only thing thats worth admiring is your autistic fit

Not going to try this. Too many red flags.

I remember the guy, he got very mad about my game on /agdg/ when I posted it a long time ago… I haven't seen him for months now, and I still was posting progress on the game every so often.

I don't actually know why he is so upset, and why he isn't saging the thread.

This was the previous game of that cancerous fuck. You are defending a retard.

Still trying to guess if this was supposed to be a pun or not.

Did you rape his sister or something?

I've played worst looking games

No, I know that when I posted a really early video of the game on /agdg/ someone wrote some harsh replies like these ones, but I don't actually know why beyond the fact that he didn't like how the physics worked when you walked around. I haven't interacted with him at all.

just filter and report him, besides his next posts could be a spegout

I honestly don't mind it very much, because he has spent his entire time on this thread bumping it to make sure that more people can see the game.

Stop gaslighting this guy right now

Im sorry user but it looks like shit

His game just seems like a basic Doom clone why are you so pissed off? There's really not much even going on with it, just seems kind of boring.

Did he personally rape your asshole with a barbwire dildo?

Actually here's an idea.

50bd08 is just the author VPN-fagging to bump his thread and get attention.

Polite sage since I had just posted.

Fuck off, you autistic shit-flinging mongrel.

I know that it seems that way, but its not what i'm doing, that really is someone else. I don't have a way of proving this though, and its completely fair that you think it could be me.

I am observing your several post and it sounds like a severe case of

LOL BUTTHURT

game is great. i did a playthrough. there's a few issues but i like the speed and the gun play. difficult in some spots and fast all the way through

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I found the most difficult level for me was "Control" just because of all the enemies and how few health packs I left there.

I remember the thread that OP pic was for. People bitched about it nonstop for the first 50 posts and created a new thread. Then when the new thread died they just used this thread and acted like nothing happened lol.

Never underestimate how bitter nodevs can be.

Woah, I didn't see you there

Yeah, that was me who made the thread. I saw that there was no thread in the catalog and I thought to myself "This is my chance"

I made some levels and graphics for this.
play it fags

I'd fuck him tbh, he has the potential to be a /cuteboy/, a good boyfriend. Or At the very least, a one night stand.

But user, that's ghei!

What?

what is going on in this thread

Some guy made a doom mod.

/agdg/ term for someone who is a game dev, but hasn't released any games. A yesdev has released at least one game.

Your game screws with my screen resolution.
It also wont save the changes I make in the options to have it be set to windowed and at a better resolution.

I like the main menu song though so there is that.

Fuck yeah it is, but you can make him feel like a lil' sissy bitch as you destroy his insides.

Screen resolution is a pretty big problem it seems, but likely an easy fix. For me personally I'm on a laptop that isn't 1080p, but it defaults to 1920x1080 so the window is bigger than my screen.

Come on man! You can do better then that.

This seems like something you could've charged $4 for if you had hired a designer.

I defaulted it to HD, but, you can fix this easily by either going into the options and changing the resolution, or looking at the readme.

The way you can set the default resolution is to go into data/config.cfg and change vid_mode to a lower number to select a diffrent video mode. You can see a table of all the video modes in the readme.txt, as well as a guide to every single console command.

Well, congrats on actually releasing something, I guess.

It would be, but I used lots of enemy sprite sheets from the zdoom forums and I dont think I could work out some kind of deal with ~10 random doom sprite artists. I want to own all the assets for my next game so that I can give people the option to pay for it, kind of like how some albums on bandcamp let you name your price, i know itch.io supports this.

I don't want to charge money for my game because you need a fanbase to actually buy your things… right now I have 133 views on itch and 140 on the trailer video, so its not enough to justify something like this. If I had over 10k people looking at my stuff, that's another story.

Thanks… I cant draw at all so literally all the assets are ripped from random places. The codebase is ~14k lines long but there isn't a terrible lot of windows API calls so im considering porting the game. I'll release the source code tonight, I guess, in case anyone wants to see that. Half of that code is for the map editor which I wont touch again.

If I make the port, i'll make another thread I guess.

I also tried using the command to get rid of the game running slow but it didn't seem to do anything at all

Game play criticism: I didn't notice any sort of feedback other then my health going down to indicate I was being hit.

Set vid_vertex_light to "1". when its 0, the game is running in light-mapped mode. If you look at the console guide in the readme, this is clarified:

vid_vertex_light:When vid_vertex_light is nonzero, the lighting model is changed to the older distance-based vertexmodel instead of the lightmap model that is on by default. Use the older lighting model if youhave framerate problems.

I guess its not entirely clear at first.

I guess I forgot about that kind of damage feedback, i'm very used to playing quake 3 with the feedback turned off, so it seemed very normal to me. I'll have to keep these things in mind going forwards.

scratch that didn't enter the console command correctly.
Yo… As I typed this the game crashed and unfortunately I wasn't able to see what the error windows said because my typing closed the box i think. The fact that it doesn't either auto pause on loss of focus or doesn't stop accepting inputs when not in focus is a slight issue.

As I was typing you should be more clear in the upper portions of the Read me for the fact that I had to put in a value for command to be changed.

Wait a second

Also the fact that the escape key instantly exits the game is kind of annoying as I just closed the game after entering the damn command correctly.
Man I want to try your game but shit keeps happening, why would you make notice of the release the game on friday the 13th?

ha, I didn't even notice that…

The problem with the console is that I wrote the code for it literally in november 2015, it was the first work I ever did on the game, and I guess it just had that bug where it can overflow sometimes, and I didn't ever see it. I was really shit at writing memory safe code back then so I think if you keep typing, somehow you can overflow a buffer and crash the game.

Just, try again, and I think you'll have a nicer time playing.

Just died because I didn't know I was being shot at from something behind me.

Knife seems kind of OP but the animation is goofy enough to justify it.
I'm sort of glad for the aiming down the sights because its hard to tell where the center of my screen is and it doesn't look like it has the crazy autoaim that doom had.
Movement is very slippery. Is it supposed to be slippery?

I'm kind of sorry for the immediate negative feedback/harsh criticism I want to enjoy this.
I like the music a lot.
I like the way the enemies look.
I liked how that one enemy by the health pickup ran away after i started shooting at him.

I feel like I should be able to hit him from here but my bullets are not doing anything.

You weren't harsh at all, just scroll up on the thread… Knife is only so strong in the first levels, once you get to more challenging areas of the game, it wont be as easy. Movement is supposed to be a little slippery, I actually spent a lot of time shifting around the physics variables and I couldn't really please everyone on /agdg/ who was trying it out, so some people don't like the movement, and other people just don't notice. It actually does have the crazy autoaim, its just not as noticeable.

You shouldn't feel bad about the feedback, its the most useful stuff in the thread. The bottom line with projects like this is that it gets to the point where you cut corners or just keep polishing it indefinitely, which is why its pretty rough around the edges. I know about most of the problems and its completely fair to criticize me for them. A lot of them stem from poor programming choices that are hard to undo, just because of how many small errors there are.

I'm very glad that you appreciate the game.

Yeah I think the hitbox is a little messy with that case, very few areas of the game are designed like that, so I never actually isolated the problem. You can turn on some of the more interesting dbg_ commands to get a better idea of what makes the game tick.

OP if this thread is still up tomarrow I'll give more feedback if I get a chance to otherwise I'll post it in the AGDG thread if this one is gone by then.

oh by the way the guy in green cant fight you, he was originally made to test out the path-finding algorithms and then i reprogrammed him to run away when he sees you. He's supposed to be some kind of ambiguous non-combatant trying to get away from the shooting.

Really what he does now is show off my path-finding, which you don't get to see the enemies do, since they only use it when they've lost sight of you. If you type "dbg_draw_aigraph 1" you'll see what i mean

Is this game capped at 15fps? It's not a commercial product so it doesn't count anyway.

its not capped, if your computer cant run it fast try setting vid_vertex_light to 1 and see what your performance is

The Obvious

Visuals

Gameplay
Getting frustrated at this point.

Embed related is me playing through the game. Try and see what i'm doing in these situations, and it might make more sense.

On the top left, it says "pick up some shells… etc" when you pick up guns.. maybe you didnt see it.

As long as you keep circling around enemies, and take advantage of cover, you shouldn't get hit. You can abuse this in earlier levels where the enemies are a little easier to deal with. You might be used to fps games where movement isn't rewarded as much, but here, standing still is punished a lot.

One thing to note is that even the weaker enemies can do 90 damage if they land all their shots. If you explore the houses on level 2 you'll find a health pickup, by the way. If you're running out of ammo, and still managed to find all the ammo pickups, you should try using the knife, which is adequate for some tricky situations.

Most people who played this were either good at doom and had no serious problems, or had lots of problems.. if you get over the learning curve, it should get easier.

There's an /agdg/ thread for a fucking reason you cunt.

I was civil in the thread, but fuck you. Your game is a pathetic Doom clone. You have no idea how fucking angry cunts like you make me.

Your game is a pathetic rust clone, I think it evens out, but at least Ika actually dropped his turd.

If you were civil in the agdg thread prove it. Make a post confirming that this is you in that thread with that id.

Also you bumped the thread from off of page 10+ with the last post before yours being 14 hours ago.

About the same way Rust was a DayZ clone, and Minecraft was an Infiniminer clone. At least I don't go off starting threads when I don't get enough attention.

Took a screencap

Ika clearly has autism but I'd crush his boipussy any day, but you're game looks shit, see you in 5 years for the EA release if you haven't killed yourself.

Keep on working on your development skills user, for better or worse.

for someone who did an engine from scratch, this is excellent job

i rate 6/10 because the gameplay sucks. get yourself a modeller and make a Q1 clone

I don't care if you're a faggot OP, you did well to make this game, even if it looks like trash.

Keep it up. Many of the detractors here haven't ever made a game, so don't take too much stock in anonymous comments.

opinion discarded on the basis of you being an uneducated retard. Also, I have a creeping suspicion that you're the OP trying to protect your game.

I'm going to enjoy shitting on your game.

And I'm going to enjoy dissecting your comments for obongo-tier grammar.

Like a I give a fuck, Keep posting in /agdg/ so I can keep laughing at you.

Keep up the good work?

Can someone explain to me just what the fuck is going on in this thread? What's with all the animosity?

You seem to be under the impression that you're the one laughing.

I'm mad that this cunt felt the need to make a separate, personal /agdg/ thread for his Doom clone. Apparently he's either sockpuppeting or has pet fantards with bad grammar.

Seriously? You do realize that people do this all the time here, right? It's not a big deal, which makes me think this is actually some kind of inane /agdg/ drama.

Holy shit you're retarded.

I'M MAD, MAD AT THE INTERNET!

I don't see the big deal. user is clearly excited he managed to make a somewhat complete game and he wants people here to test it out. I think it's cool we got people on Holla Forums actually making games and releasing them. Unlike Anton and Coolpecker, wherever the hell that went.

I know I've seen people advertise their games here before, hell, there's a thread on /a/ where a guy's advertising his VN, so I really can't figure out why people are going totally apeshit over this one in particular. I'll admit, I think it looks like crap and I don't wanna play it, but there's no reason to call him a cunt because he wants to get the word about his game out and has literally nothing resembling a marketing budget.

not really. sigma user has always been really chill, a bit autistic with having to do everything themself, but chill.

That rust user is quite new to the /agdg/ threads, and apparently is quite new to Holla Forums too; as they're unaware that this type of thread is accepted here.
Considering it's a pretty momentous time when a dev from here releases their game… be it at w/e level of quality the final game is at, they finished a game.

You didnt exactly do what I said, I can edit (You)'s on to any post in any thread, so why should I assume you cant, the post is 7 hours old after all. But I will give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume that thats you, and you actually are the guy in that thread cause I really dont give enough of a shit about it, to ask again. Unfortunately the only problem I see is the part about you apparently being civil in that thread, that post is not exactly civil there is no legitimate criticism, its all opinionated statements, not to mention the fact that I disagree with your point, you can learn a lot by recreating an exact replica of something, you can not refine a formula by staying far away from that formula, if a certain series/developer/publisher has a monopoly on certain game formula they have no pressure to evolve, refine, innovate or enhance it, at all, clones on the other hand do force them to consider their competition even if it doesn't really directly effect them yet, their existence alone is enough is enough to create an upset in their monopoly even if its just fear of impending doom, redundancy is good cause it gives people options, et cetera I could go on for a significant amount of time about how clones are a valuable asset.
You probably shouldn't talk about pathetic, 1 you are making a rust clone, 2 you own, bought and played rust, 3 you are contributing to "early-access-survival-crafting-open-world-cancer" that everyone hates. Also unrelated but you also seem very self important with not much deserving.

The game is nothing special, sure, no one really said otherwise, but I assume its pretty much just a tech demo for the engine the guy apparently wrote from scratch. Could you imagine how soul crushing it would be to spend I dont know, years developing an engine and having literally nothing to "show" for it? I dont blame him for making this. But I also dont think its gods to humanity. You are being unreasonable.
Then again I seriously dont understand how you can criticize seeing as you have nothing to show for your big talk and I dont understand how you can act like you hate it so much when you bumped this off of like 3 or 4 slots from being purged from the board/index/catalog like "on page 14 of 14 pages" bumped. If you hated it so much you would have saged while posting, not posted at all, or fumed in the /agdg/ about your problem with a very common occurrence. I mean I was under the impressing /agdg/ who finished a project were awarded the courtesy of having their own thread for it.

Basically what I am saying is invest in getting some self awareness.

it's all free too. I'd have more of a problem with it if he was trying to sell his game on here.

it's like the shitty amateur games from videogame mag cover CD-ROMs I played as a teen so I guess 4/10 not entirely garbage -Power Play

lmao kill yourself, even if you got quints you'd still be an autistic loser

more evidence pointing to the point that they're quite new to Holla Forums heh

BULLY TIME

I'm not

I am

Saging = downvote

well he made his own engine, so he knows more than me

I just realized how fun it will be for the dev to come back and see what further chaos this thread devolved into from being 100% dead.

Discarding someones argument cause you dont like their grammar is a foolish, childish and embarrassing way to end a disagreement with someone.

Calling out illogical or irrational points and thinking when it is detected does not make the person or people who called it out your boogyman of choice, a sockpuppet of them, or a fanboy. That is a closed, weak minded disingenuous way to admit that you do not have an argument and to deny your responsibility and deflect from (or completely shut down) the topic being discussed if you were in the right you would be able to provide an argument regardless of who was making arguing against you or making a counter point to you, easily, might I add. And if you were suspicious of something like what you described in your post you could very easily put that at the end of with out detracting from what you already said.

That was my thoughts too. This kind of response is not exactly a fair response to this kind of very common thread. There has to be some inane /agdg/ drama. This made me immediately internally question exactly how long 3165d9 has even been here but I decided not to go with that since that rhetoric is overused. And its not an argument :^)

I seriously dont understand what the whole overreaction was about if rustclone user ever shipped a product I see no reason why there wouldnt be a thread for it. Agreed on the quality thing it doesnt really matter something like this is an important milestone on a game devs journey, why shit on that with seemingly no discernible intent behind it.

His demeanor and mannerisms made me immediately internally question exactly how long 3165d9 has even been here but I decided not to go with that since that point is overused usually by the new people them selves trying to fit it, which is what 3165d9 reeks of to me.

Perhaps I was wrong to give you the benefit of the doubt for many things, you are very painfully evidently new to this website and website format in general and are desperately attempting to fit in. Did no one ever tell you to lurk for a few years before you post cause I though that was standard fare.
Let me try; lurk for a few years before you post again.

WEW

nice b8oast, i r8 it 8 out of 8, i don't h8, great b8 m8, wew m8

is this guy the first /agdg/ user to complete a game & release it for free as well?

This shit is far from done.

user its quite literally two autists

No

your game isn't out yet and probably never will be so he's doing better than you are at the moment

is this what it feels like to be a nodev?

So where's your contribution in the current /agdg/ thread?

Its not about liking it, it's just plain wrong. That makes them out to be dumb because educated people don't fuck up written speech.

Doing any particular thing doesn't make you any better than anyone else. This guy has no standards, no ambition and clearly isn't interested in creating original gameplay. He made a Doom clone and posted here, hoping to gain approval points from his dedicated clique.

And the sad thing is - it's working. So many cunts here just play into identity politics and the blind belief that simply because he's "one of us" and isn't making "mainstream" shit, or that he's "not like them" we should praise his game, his character, or him in general.

Be it Tumblr, be it Plebbit, be it fucking fullchan, halfchan, or whatever, at some point there's a threshold that gets passed, where a community is no longer shaped by the people that started it, but rather a conglomerate of stereotypical behaviors that all pool together to dictate what is kosher and what is not, resulting in a filter bubble that prevents anything but stagnation.

I see a man that received minimal recognition in the original /agdg/ despite wanting attention. This man then goes on to start a thread, clearly not satisfied with the initial response, hoping to get a larger scoop of local traffic.

It's attention whoring. Approval for the sake of approval. He's not asking for critique, hell, he's not even taking any of it in if it happens to just be here.

And that's why I'm fucking mad, because instead of discarding his shit as having no merit (which it does not), people coddle his ass and hold it up, saying "oh but he did it". They then go on to attach it to this weird "collective achievement" list, to which they attribute themselves through belief that their support somehow helped.

So are you going to compete with ZDoom now since nobody maintains it anymore? :^)

It's common that when a project is ready to get feedback or release the dev makes a thread because it has greater visibility than being buried half way through an /agdg/ thread. Asking people to try the game you've been working on isn't attention whoring you stupid cunt.

Besides all that, your lack of self awareness is amazing. You've got a "low poly" model with shit topology, a sorry excuse for a texture that just adds tumblr nose and blush along with a needlessly modelled dick (how non-conformist of you!). With the intent of being yet another crafting survival game with vague ideaguy shit of how yours won't be like all the others.

Come on, externalize me more! Surely I'm also an SJW, a Tumblrina, a kike, a nigger, a woman, a liberal cuck, a fag, a tranny, a redditor, an evil indiedev devil out to get your money, etc.

Way to prove me right, dipshit

>agdg can't post their finished game outside of the agdg thread

I want reddit to leave.

You're most likely projecting with this entire post. Why can't you handle other people having nice things?

holy fuck, I keep trying to avoid the buzz words, but you are just so new it's cute.

Holy fuck it's like I just projected the entirety of Holla Forums onto a 2D plane

I'm glad you posted your model here so we all know who you are.

anyone who isn't new would have known this*

Maximum damage control in progress.

It's sad. Everyone here is talking about /agdg/ drama yet we never really had any. The closest to drama we got to was people criticizing cooking user over his javacode, and even then the worst it got was freetards going too hard with the bantz. I guess we just avoided the cancer.

At this point he's just acting up to say he was pretending all along.

Hell, we didn't even bully Lizardrydev that much for his eldritch abomination tier code.

Until now, it seems.

No, it's more like I don't even know what the fuck I was expecting other than the usual "NEWFAG REEEEEE" reaction. I've been on this website since the Exodus. Prior to that I frequented Russian 2ch and 4chan (occasionally)

Just because someone is acting differently doesn't mean they're new. It just means they don't really care to follow the autistic playground laws other than the basics.

Did you release the source code somewhere yet? I hope its free as in freedom.

Even though you clearly demonstrated you've never seen agdg release threads before. You did a good job showing agdg and all of Holla Forums how you're an early Yanderdev 2.0

Hey, at least I don't have a weaboo-pandering no-potential premise.

Plus, I'm planning to go the Minecraft route of developing the game over the course of 10~ years of non-stop work. Providing alpha releases for free, Beta for dirt cheap, and building on it.

No Patreons directly related to the game. No stupid promises, no hype. I just want to make the damn thing and enjoy myself while I'm doing it.

I'm not expecting to hit a release date anytime soon. I want to make this a long, long, long ordeal that its built upon as the time goes on.

Doom sucks but good on OP for finishing(?) his game. Video was somewhat entertaining too, although some of the gameplay sections stretch for too long, they don't really show anything you couldn't have shown in a quarter of that time.

What the fuck happened to this thread? Niggas, chill.

why do everyone hate long haired red hatted boys for no reason?

Kill yourself, sell your corpse to cannibals, and cry the last remaining drops of moisture out your body in hell as the cannibals complain about how little meat there is under all that fat and toss out your defiled corpse.

Well the game looks like boring shit so I probably won't be playing it, but congratulations, user. At least you can reuse the assets and code for a better game.
Make Quake clones, not Doom clones, you dumb fuck

Wait, never mind, it looks more Serious Sam than Doom. Still looks lacking in verticality, though.

I will applaud you for one thing - getting something done.

That said, it's basically something out of the mid-90s but less polished. So I'd take this as "made game that works kinda" accomplishment, and then go forward.

If you made this, I'm sure you can do better.

literally nodev

okay, i forgot to release it last night, but, if you go to the itch.io page, you can find a link to "Sigma Engine Source Code" If you want to look around at the code. I'll warn you that when I started this project I didn't know very much about writing data structures in C, and the codebase has been worked on for over a year, so you will see some extremely cringey things in my code. Its free as in I don't care what you do with the code.

I don't know either of the two people who have been writing on the thread. I didn't expect this kind of thing to happen, really.

As far as I know, its the first time I've interacted with 3165d9. I remember reading some of 50bd08's posts months ago, though. I thought it was an isolated incident because I never got the same kinds of replies when posting about my game between then and now.

wtf I hate /agdg/ now

I remember some pretty vertical levels from earlier videos he posted. Haven't played it yet though, aside from one older version to see why everyone was complaining about the movement.

Hey, I hope your hipstershit game comes out, too. Maybe you can be the next Phil Fish and we'll all laugh at how shitty it is. You'll be one of the biggest lolcows from 8ch so far.

You must be retarded

I can see it now
After only (15) posts, you already strike me as the kind of guy who can't take the heat.

You really are acting like Yanderdev and Phil Fish, yet unlike them you have nothing to fucking show. Your best course of action would be to just stop sperging out and hope no one archives these threads.

(checked)
archive huh? well oto bad i jusrwt did
archive.is/XE1tO
t. drunkk man

Apparently someone beat me to it 7 hours earlier, but I did it anyway
archive.is/QmooX

Did Mark nuke the thread or something?

its still in the catalog for me

Nevermind, the site bugged out and apparently the thread only had 95 replies. Back to normal.

Except I said literally nothing that I wouldn't own up to. What exactly should I be afraid of being archived?

Congratulations on becoming a yesdev, user. I don't have much time for games at the moment, but I'll be sure to try yours out tomorrow. In part due to the COLOSSAL faggot (or faggots?) in this thread.

nothing in particular if you never want to shill your rust clone here
as an example, everyone hates yandev and he's never gonna bother shilling here

He posted it in the Doom thread first before making this thread, and no Anons that actually responded to give criticism praised it and one pretty much told him to go make Doom maps before making his own game cause his level design sucks. I suspect that the reason why he made the thread is primarily for this reason.

The timestamp on the post in the doom thread is:
01/13/17 (Fri) 14:34:07

And the timestamp on this thread is:
01/13/17 (Fri) 13:55:44

And the timestamp for the post on the agdg thread is:
01/13/17 (Fri) 13:49:31

I posted them at similar times, but its very clear that I posted in the agdg thread, then this thread, and then in the doom thread.

My first reply in the agdg thread was at 01/13/17 (Fri) 14:37:47, which is after I posted all three things. There wasnt a lot of feedback in this thread before I posted the doom thread, it was mostly 50bd08 freaking out. Its extremely clear that I didn't receive an "inital response" before posting it in other places, and anyone who actually looks at the timestamps can see that.

Also, the only negative replies to my game in the doom thread were:

None of which even mention the level design.

I don't really know what the basis for any of those claims are.

see

Could need some code optimizations, but that's really not my field. Otherwise, really nice job for a first indie game.

oh, i see, I was looking for the (you) so I guess I scrolled over that one

I think that's fair, I'm not that great at making levels. The best levels in that game were made by my friend, and they don't appear for a little while.

If you look at the date you can see that that post is from a day after this thread was posted.

so right off the bat you said doing something doesn't make you better yet imply that you making your style of game makes you better than him
way to shoot your own argument down retard

that's what marketing is, holy fucking shit did you fall and hit your head or were you born this stupid

If you knew anything about programming you'd realize that it's actually a pretty impressive feat to make an engine like that
I'm not saying his game is good because it isn't but if he hires some artists, keeps improving the engine and makes another game then it could end up being worthwhile

Honestly this sums up rustdev pretty well. He comes in talking about how he's going to spend 10 years working on his game he only spent 10 minutes on so far. He then flames a dude who built an engine from scratch for not being original, meanwhile talking about how he's going to make a rust clone (completely over-saturated market btw) and only has one model to show for it. Talks about how he's the oldest of oldfags, but hasn't seen a /agdg/ release thread, doesn't realize that the whole point of /agdg/ is to release a game and make one of these threads, and when he gets told why he's such obviously newfag cancer he goes "I don't play by autistic playground rules" whatever the fuck that means. When pretty much everyone calls him out for being a dumbass he tries to smug anime girl his way out for damage control. Then when his terrible attempts at damage control get logged he thinks it wont be used to haunt him later, especially after the shit yandere-dev pulled here. I think the complete lack of self-awareness is what all brings it together.

This is like 12 forms of cancer. He has spilled his spaghetti harder than phil fucking fish and yandere-dev, but without having so much as gameplay footage.

To 3165d9:

HOLY FUCK GET YOUR HEAD OUTTA YOUR ASS YOU NEWFAG TRASH.

Thanks.

OP, your game has potential. Okay, maybe the mouse movement is really, horrendously terrible, but that's just my beef with it.

6/10 "It's alright, but has issues"-tier.

What is happens ?

I'm not going to be as hyperbolic as the others in the hopes that you will take my suggestions and do better next time.

1. There's no sound, at least for me. It's important to have a vibrant soundscape in games because it will tell you what enemies are lurking around corners, when they fire their weapons and when they are dying.

2. The menu doesn't automatically detect screen resolution, nor does it save the settings after restarting.

3. The main menu should have mouse support, with Enter being the same as Space.

4. For a game that looks like it came out in 1993, it's remarkably slow and choppy. Please consider using vertex shading instead of baking light textures.

5. Not enough decorations or even a sense of where you are except different-colored mazes. And the sky isn't even red.

6. Walking feels like trying to push a shopping cart across an ice patch. Way too slow when you start running, but once you get going it's easy to slide off-course.

7. Story should be an option in the main menu, not the opening screen. Look at DOOM, it drops you right into the action.

8. Approach designing levels intelligently. Introduce one enemy at a time and then combine them in different situations for interesting gameplay.

9. Make the enemies be able to collide with each other and you.

If there isnt any sound, that means you dont have openAL installed. Its mentioned in the readme and the download page, but just run oalinst.exe or download it from openAL's website to install openAL.

you can turn on vertex shading by typing "vid_vertex_light 1" in the console. This is also mentioned in the readme. I really should have put this into the options menu, too…

The reason its slow is because of my game's lack of PVS culling, making it run like shit on older computers, I'm definitely going to implement it next time.

I appreciate that you took your time to give me this feedback, im making a list of all this stuff so I can remember what everyone said.

Thanks for reading, it would be nice if openAL was part of the game. here's a few more.

1. I didn't see a crosshair in my version. Is there a plan to put that in the options menu?

2. No red flash or white flash effect when getting hit or getting ammo, which when there's no sound would be very helpful. Notice all the different ways DOOM informed the viewer what was going on without explaining it.

3. The weapons would be more fun if they all felt different. Like the kickback from the DOOM shotgun, the way the chaingun would take all your strength just to stand still, in your game it seems everyone has plasma guns. If the enemies take their time to telegraph that they're aiming, grunting and firing, it can be hitscan without being bullshit. The reason TF2 is fun is because every enemy's stock weapons feel, shoot and do different things.

4. I understand the big balls are to show you who is firing and what, but that's what the huge muzzle flash in DOOM did for the enemies. Telegraphing to the player what enemies are doing before they see you is a great strategy aspect. The best levels give you options of how to enter a room and in what order you take out the enemies, so there's problem-solving instead of just mowing down enemies.

5. I would be happy to make a custom font and face if you decide on what the character's face looks like. Doomguy's face is also a good clue as to where the enemy fire is coming from, if you noticed.

OP, I'm not gonna play it because I don't play anything nowadays, but I just wanted to counter the negativity that inevitably would show up here and say that you're on the right track and shouldn't stop. You're a creator now, bringing beauty into the world, and don't let the bastard grind you down.

It would be improved dramatically with
Other than that it was easy to get used to what was going on.
I like that there's zero mouse smoothing but with enemies at a distance one wishes for less sensitivity.
OP should definitely decide what he wants this to play like and tighten up movement speed/smoothness accordingly.
Pic related is what happens when you abuse diagonal movement and jumping while going up the stairs in 3rd or 4th map -I honestly don't remember.