Star Control franchise

I want to get into the Star Control series, (after reading how quirky and DEEPEST LORE it is,) where should I start?

Star Control 1?
Star Control 2?
That modern "The Ur-Quan Masters" port/remake?
Star Control 3?

Is the series good, actually?

Other urls found in this thread:

moddb.com/mods/project-6014
starcontrol.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Probably ur-quan masters. Also, I haven't played 3, but I hear it's complete dogshit. second game is GOAT tho'.

The first game is a straight strategic + combat game, you move ships into positions around stars and battle enemies when you encounter them. Not much story at all.

Start with SC2/Ur-Quan Masters (the two are basically identical). I originally played SC2 on the PC with no voices, so they sound really strange to me. Ur-Quan Masters adds in the 3DO voices. Do not bother with Star Control 3 unless you really want to see how a different company can fuck over a series.

Basically just Super Battle Mode in SCII. You can read a synopsis of it to the same effect tbh

I'd go with the latter, but the former is fine as well. UQM has all of the copyright material removed, but it's generally solid. Plus, the fans have basically gotten UQM to run on everything from a smartphone to a toilet.

Don't even joke like that. is right, it's complete and total dogshit. Play it if you hate yourself, or plan on getting drunk before starting.

wasn't it something like developers having rights to everything except the name star control? or am I misremembering?

2 is the place to start. Download UQM. I enjoyed it enough to want to try the others but they really are not good and are poor places to start.

They never made a third game.

Play Ur Quan Masters then stop.

Star Control was originally made by Toys for Bob but owned by Accolade. Toys for Bob decided they didn't want to make a sequel for the money Accolade was willing to pay them, so Accolade got some other faggots to make Star Control 3 and it tanked so hard they sat on the series for a while. The original developers didn't own the name Star Control so they couldn't do shit about it, eventually they went off and made a little game called Skylanders so now they're too busy to bother with Star Control. Now Stardock's bought the name and is going to do a reboot thing while saying they're more than willing to let Toys for Bob come back and make a proper SC3 anytime.

So there's no plot at all in the first game?

I want to interact with the Androsynths though, I heard they're basically disappeared in the second game>

* Androsynth in SC2
* Zelnick's ship is not the precursor ship

What project is that? Because it's not stock UQM unless they have made a lot of changes to it since I last played.

The "plot" of the first game is the war between the Alliance of Free Stars and the Ur-Quan Hierarchy. It plays more like historical strategy games that let you pick famous battles and re-enact them yourself, you don't really follow a story per se. Read the SC2 manual and you'll learn all there is to the Peace Vaults and the Androsynth and so on, SC2's story will tell you how the war ended and everything else.

It's from a mod

moddb.com/mods/project-6014

Project 6014

Not a deep story by any stretch, no. It's basically just laying out the events of the war against the Ur-Quan Kzer-Za, which you get a synopsis of at the beginning of the first game. SCI basically boils down to

Second game

Also, is it actually a good game?>

Yes, but don't go in expecting it be perfect and suck your dick. Your ship is slow and handles terribly at first, buy the upgrades to make it turn and move faster as soon as you can. You're also going to get attacked by a really fucking annoying alien a lot (We Come In Peace), you'll deal with it eventually but be ready for some frustration at first.

Bump

the only fates fan projects seem to have are being abandoned or C&D'd

Oh, hey, a Star Control thread.

Anybody looking forward to Star Control Origins? Some licensing issues are preventing classic species from appearing in the game but it looks like they have a solid understanding of the fundamentals of the game.

starcontrol.com/

i'm cautiously interested in it

How? They have the rights to the series now right? Why wouldn't they be able to include all the aliens?

The rights to the aliens are still with the guys who made the original games, but those guys don't have the rights to the name Star Control. That's why UQM can legally exist.

What really makes Star Control is the writing, though.

It doesn't matter if the gameplay mechanics are similar, if the writing is off it'll just be another Star Control 3.

Yeah, not very optimistic. At best it'll be some poorly written facsimile of the classic.

Could work to reignite interest in the franchise and get Toys for Bob to finally make the proper sequel, hopefully.

That looks disturbingly like Spore, aesthetically. Though I suppose Spore's space mode was already a poor attempt at being SCII sandbox.